PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Dumb question about Frost Brand

Thirdtwin
2024-04-03, 11:23 PM
I've never used the thing before and I've never seen it handed out as treasure, but I'm looking at magic items for kicks right now and something popped out at me. "A frost brand extinguishes all nonmagical fires in its area." ...what's its area? Nothing else in its description mentions an area in which this effect operates. I assume its other effect of dispelling magical fires also takes place in this supposed area, but again, I don't know what that area actually is. Do they mean, like, the area you threaten with it?

AMFV
2024-04-04, 12:14 AM
I've never used the thing before and I've never seen it handed out as treasure, but I'm looking at magic items for kicks right now and something popped out at me. "A frost brand extinguishes all nonmagical fires in its area." ...what's its area? Nothing else in its description mentions an area in which this effect operates. I assume its other effect of dispelling magical fires also takes place in this supposed area, but again, I don't know what that area actually is. Do they mean, like, the area you threaten with it?

I would guess that it's the area that it would illuminate as a torch. But it is not clear at all.

Algolei
2024-04-04, 12:49 AM
My Premium Edition Dungeon Master's Guide 3.5 says, "A frost brand extinguishes all nonmagical fires in its wielder’s threatened area."

Edit: If that doesn't gel your pudding, you can look to other editions for guidance. The 1E DMG says, "...whenever it is thrust into fires it has a 50% chance of extinguishing them in a 10' radius...". 5E says, "When you draw this weapon, you can extinguish all non-magical flames within 30 feet of you."

Chronos
2024-04-04, 08:27 AM
I would have assumed "in its space", i.e., the 5' square it's in, and that the wielder could hence choose to extinguish a fire by thrusting the sword into it.