PDA

View Full Version : Filled [PF1] Perils of the Ashenwood

Palanan
2024-04-08, 09:35 PM
https://arildheitmann.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/DSCF1761-Edit2-1.jpg

The Ashenwood—a broad mantle of dense forest draped across jumbled terrain, extending far into the west when seen from the pass of Kirin Nalag in the heights of the Ülgurül Hills.

Once it was far greater, in earlier ages when the kingdoms of men and dwarves had not yet risen, when fey and fell things held sway over vast shadowed reaches of the ancient wood. In this age of the world it is diminished—yet there are still hidden vales cloaked in forgotten tatters of night, dark-shrouded dells where unseen nightmares spin their snares, slow-winding streams leading to unknown deeps from which none return.

Through the Ashenwood your path now leads. You are not alone; yet you and your companions do not travel in numbers enough to be free of apprehension—much less the constant unease of being watched, of feral eyes studying your bearing and gait, assessing your soft spots and your weaknesses.

As you travel in the chill heavy air beneath the shadowed canopy, stray whispers reach your ears, hints of phantoms glimpsed just beyond the edge of sight. When you camp at night, bright eyes are kindled in the darkness, yet vanish when you approach.

A long road still lies ahead—yet with each day a thin, nameless dread grows stronger within you, and you cannot help but wonder if you will ever see bright fields and the open sky again.

1. What game system are you running?

Pathfinder 1E.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be? What is the setting for the game?

Homebrew setting, going for a mix of traditional high fantasy, local intrigue and gritty wilderness survival.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

Ideally 3-4 players with 1-2 alternates.

4. What's the gaming medium?

Play-by-post, right here in the Playground.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

PCs will start at 1st level.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

PCs will roll starting gold per their class description.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

No homebrew classes or other homebrew material.

All classes from the CRB and APG are allowed, with the exception of cavalier and summoner. Other allowed classes include hunter, investigator, magus, mesmerist, psychic, slayer, and swashbuckler.

No gunpowder or psionics. No 3PP and no homebrew.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

All Core races are allowed, with the exception of gnomes, which don’t exist in this setting.

From the Featured races of the ARG, aasimars, changelings, fetchlings, ifrits, oreads, ratfolk and sylphs are allowed, though rare and unusual in the setting. Hobgoblins are possible but would be viewed with alarm and suspicion by many.

From the Uncommon races, samsarans, vanaras and vishkanyas are allowed, though the latter two would be considered quite unusual for the specific region of the campaign. If there are other races from first-party Pathfinder sources that you’re interested in, let me know and I’ll take a look.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

20-point buy for ability scores. Full hit points at first level.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

First and foremost, no evil characters. Also, no characters working at cross-purposes to the group simply for the thrill of it.

Beyond that, PCs may draw from the full spectrum of nonevil alignments.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Multi-classing is allowed, subject to DM approval, once we get to that point.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Players will roll for all the usual rolls (attacks, saves, CL checks, etc.) using the Playground dice roller.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

TBD, check this space for updates.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how long? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

I'd like to see at least a couple solid paragraphs with as much of your character’s history and personality you feel is important. You’re welcome to write more if the inspiration occurs.

Your characters will have been traveling together for a while prior to the start of the adventure, but feel free to work up whatever backstory suits your concept and we can go from there.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

There will be a mix of exploration, combat and wilderness survival, a strong element of intrigue and local politics, and perhaps a dash of dungeoneering, with opportunities for RP throughout.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Material is allowed from the CRB, APG, Advanced Race Guide, the Ultimates (Magic/Combat/Intrigue/Wilderness) and Occult Adventures. Other official Pathfinder sources should be okay, but check with me first.

No psionics, no gunpowder, no 3PP.

tonberryking
2024-04-09, 09:48 PM
Catfolk okay? Forget I asked that; I have a seed of an idea for a half orc, unless you start screaming "YES! GIMME A CATFOLK!" or something unexpected.

Also, is there a collective reason the party is traveling through the Ashenwood, like we work as caravan guards or something? Or do we each have our own reasons for it?

And are any archetypes of the allowed classes banned, like Bladebound magus, or as long as it's paizo, it goes?

Greenflame133
2024-04-10, 02:09 AM
I potentially interested. I'm thinking magic-less mounted bloodrager, if bloodrager is allowed? Not sure about the race, I love changeling but they mey not fit the setting.

ProgressPaladin
2024-04-10, 06:47 AM
[roll0]x10
I aim to play an inquisitor. Would that work with the setting? What sort of god would I be serving?

Greenflame133
2024-04-10, 07:54 AM
The gods gotta be homebrew, unless use The Eldest from the First World book

Palanan
2024-04-10, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by tonberryking
Also, is there a collective reason the party is traveling through the Ashenwood, like we work as caravan guards or something? Or do we each have our own reasons for it?

Yes. :smalltongue:

There is indeed a reason you’re all traveling together, but each of you will have your individual histories and motivations for being out in the world, which is what I’d like you to focus on in your backgrounds. Once you have those sketched out, I’ll have a better sense of how you all came together.

And are any archetypes of the allowed classes banned, like Bladebound magus, or as long as it's paizo, it goes?

Most should be okay, but something like bladebound would need a bit of thought. For now, go with what fits your concept, and if something raises concerns we can see about an alternative.

Originally Posted by greenflame133
I'm thinking magic-less mounted bloodrager, if bloodrager is allowed? Not sure about the race, I love changeling but they mey not fit the setting.

For reasons particular to this setup, I’d prefer to avoid mounted PCs.

As for changelings, it depends which version. The Pathfinder changeling is fine, but the 3.5 changeling wouldn’t fit here.

Originally Posted by ProgressPaladin
I aim to play an inquisitor. Would that work with the setting? What sort of god would I be serving?

What kind of divine power would you like to serve? We can come up with something that fits your concept.

I’m still sketching out the setting, so everyone can feel free to be as creative as they like with their backstories. I can’t guarantee I’ll use everything, but it’s an opportunity to help me fill in aspects of the setting.

Qazgir
2024-04-10, 08:44 AM
I'm interested. Given that you've allowed the psychic and mesmerist, would you allow occultist? Assuming that's off the table, thinking an alchemist.

ProgressPaladin
2024-04-10, 09:19 AM
What kind of divine power would you like to serve? We can come up with something that fits your concept.

I was thinking a lawful good deity, maybe with law domain?

Palanan
2024-04-10, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by Qazgir
Given that you've allowed the psychic and mesmerist, would you allow occultist? Assuming that's off the table, thinking an alchemist.

The mesmerist and psychic are the only occult classes that will work in the setting. Alchemist is perfect.

Originally Posted by ProgressPaladin
I was thinking a lawful good deity, maybe with law domain?

This will work very well. Feel free to develop your notion of the deity and we’ll see if we can fit it to the setting.

Greenflame133
2024-04-10, 10:00 AM
No worries. I have more character ideas when I know what to do. One thing I been dying to play is a Sorcerer that doubles down on Rakshasas Bloodline, Arcana. With ablity to disguise one spell as another. Stuff like fooling enemies into believing a summon is just an illusion or non-lethal sleep spell was a deadly fireball. However, I always fear that such would be a unless gimmick in camping full of mindless beast and foes otherwise ignoring appearances

tonberryking
2024-04-10, 10:21 AM
Elephant in the room: yay or nay?

Edit: also, I’m playing a bloodrager and I want a hammer. A big hammer. But because I don’t think it’s actually in the books would you allow the 3.5 maul for this game?

It’s literally a hammer version of the bastard sword: d10/x3 damage, needs the EWP feat to be used 1 handed but is martial as a 2h?

Qazgir
2024-04-10, 11:49 AM

Seconded.

Thinking either toxicant or preservationist alchemist, assuming archetypes from other books are on the table. Otherwise I may pivot to investigator.

Kallimakus
2024-04-10, 02:46 PM
Edit: also, I’m playing a bloodrager and I want a hammer. A big hammer. But because I don’t think it’s actually in the books would you allow the 3.5 maul for this game?

It’s literally a hammer version of the bastard sword: d10/x3 damage, needs the EWP feat to be used 1 handed but is martial as a 2h?

Earthbreaker (Martial, 2-handed, 2d6 damage, x3) is in Ultimate Equipment. That sounds like it would fit also?

Posting interest also. I'd like to ask if we can use Unchained classes (Rogue, Barbarian, Monk) over the core versions?

tonberryking
2024-04-10, 03:03 PM
Kiiiiiinda? I KNEW I was forgetting one of the actual giant hammer weapons from the wiki, thanks, but I was somewhat trying to go for the maul b/c of the versatility of being able to one or two hand it.

If I’m going to have to get an EWP for a hammer based weapon it would either be the maul or a sphinx hammer because of how (relatively) easy it is to make a Mjolnir out of one.

Palanan
2024-04-10, 04:57 PM

I usually don’t, but given this is for first level I might make an exception here. I’ll take another look at the Elephant approach and will let you know. Do you have an easy link that summarizes it?

…I’m playing a bloodrager….

I’m on the fence about bloodrager. It wasn’t on the list of approved classes in the Big 16, but I’ll give it another look and let you know.

Thinking either toxicant or preservationist alchemist, assuming archetypes from other books are on the table.

Should be fine.

Originally Posted by Kallimakus
I'd like to ask if we can use Unchained classes (Rogue, Barbarian, Monk) over the core versions?

Unchained classes are a resounding yes.

tonberryking
2024-04-10, 05:29 PM
https://michaeliantorno.com/feat-taxes-in-pathfinder/

The easiest summation I can find of it.

And this: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/bloodrager/bloodrager-bloodlines/paizo-bloodrager-bloodlines/arcane/ Was the bloodline for 'rager that I was after, if it helps any?

Bloodrager and barbarian have the same starting gold, but I'm not what else to pursue if BR's not allowed as the character is rather attached to the class for her concept.

May as well roll, though: [roll0]x10

Qazgir
2024-04-10, 05:58 PM
From my experience, EitR achieves the goal of reducing feat taxes quite well. I think my favorite of its change is consolidating the Improved Maneuver feats into two different feats, so it doesn't feel horrid to have a character who want to, say, bull rush and trip, while not playing a class with buckets of bonus feats. So if it counts, I'm all for using it.

Another question, mostly for the DM but also for potential party members. How do you feel about summoning characters? Since the preservationist is the kind of summoner that summons a bunch of things, I'd like to make sure people don't feel that that's problematic for their enjoyment of the game before I make my decision.

tonberryking
2024-04-10, 06:04 PM
If that's an archetype of the summoner class, it's still not allowed since Summoner and Cavalier are excluded from playable classes. No Erics for us!

Qazgir
2024-04-10, 06:29 PM
Nah, its choosing between preservationist and toxicant alchemist.

Palanan
2024-04-10, 06:48 PM
…bloodrager….

Bloodrager is a go. Arcane bloodline is also good.

…preservationist….

In general summoning should be fine, but I’ll need to read the preservationist again.

Greenflame133
2024-04-10, 11:56 PM
Hey, Palanan can I get a comment on this. It's suitable for the game?

No worries. I have more character ideas when I know what to do. One thing I been dying to play is a Sorcerer that doubles down on Rakshasas Bloodline, Arcana. With ablity to disguise one spell as another. Stuff like fooling enemies into believing a summon is just an illusion or non-lethal sleep spell was a deadly fireball. However, I always fear that such would be a unless gimmick in camping full of mindless beast and foes otherwise ignoring appearances

tonberryking
2024-04-11, 09:02 AM
https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2896538

Here's Punk the bloodrager. I never got confirmation about the maul, so she's just got a plain ole warhammer for now. A half orc from a VERY sorcerous (and possibly very notorious) bloodline, she's looking for a legendary city at the other end of the woods where she would be far more welcome. And despite her name, she is interested in the unusual goal of ultimately opening a rowdy tavern/inn where she can cook, eat and fight people all day.

Do we get background skills?

Farmerbink
2024-04-11, 11:06 AM
Seems apt to ask here.

You didn't put oracles on the list of acceptable classes. I have something of a screwball build idea- originally a Gnome, but she could work as a Changeling- for a heavens oracle that dabbles in fey speaker druid (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/archetypes/paizo-druid-archetypes/feyspeaker-druid-archetype/). At the end of the day, she's primarily a crazy old lady (not necessarily mechanically, but it might be fun to go that way). She sees omens EVERYWHERE, and some of them might even be valid.

In particular, I can see her struggling (in a way that amuses me) with the pervasive canopy overhead, and the inability to actually see the stars at night. I don't think it will quash her ineffable optimism, but I can see it drawing out even more crazy as she goes along.

Of course, if oracle remains off the board, I'll consider something else. :smallsmile:

Palanan
2024-04-11, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Greenflame133
One thing I been dying to play is a Sorcerer that doubles down on Rakshasas Bloodline….

Sorcerer with the Rakshasa bloodline would be fine.

Do we get background skills?

Holding off on background skills for now.

Originally Posted by Farmerbink
You didn't put oracles on the list of acceptable classes.

Oracles are included in the allowed classes from the APG, as noted in question 7 of the Big 16. I may need to highlight that some other way. Your concept sounds fine, you’d just need to decide if you were starting as oracle or druid.

ProgressPaladin
2024-04-11, 04:59 PM
For a god, may I propose this as an idea:

Patroclus, Father of the Archons
Lawful Good, and determined to uphold the spirit of the law, Patroclus created the Archons to oppose all who would depose of it. While being good, Patroclus isn’t afraid to be unsubtle in his approach to evil. Favored weapon: Longsword
(I stole the name from Greek Mythology)

I also finished my character, Aunist Dawnflower. https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2896318

Still working on the backstory.

Vegan Squirrel
2024-04-12, 03:10 PM
I'm potentially interested, but I'm probably going to trip up over the rules every once in a while if that's something you're willing to deal with. I've exclusively played 5e D&D for a number of years now, but in the past I both played and ran 3.5. I've started Pathfinder characters a few times, but I don't think we ever got to even a third session in person or a second week of pbp on any of those occasions, so I basically haven't played PF before.

While I admittedly prefer 5e in most ways now, I have fond memories of 3.5 and miss certain aspects of the d20 system. Starting at 1st level should make it pretty painless to slide into the PF ruleset.

I'm thinking of going with a ranger, but that's little more than a notion at this point.

Zhentarim
2024-04-12, 04:20 PM
I'd like to play a Human Chronicler of Worlds Bard. I'll post that sheet shortly!

This is basically an intelligence-based bard.

I have two questions:

1) What are some useful bonus languages I can select?
2) Do we get 3 traits and a drawback?

Qazgir
2024-04-13, 01:04 AM
Here's my sheet (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2896811#), I've got [roll0] GP to buy equipment.

Working a bit on the backstory, but I think I'll wait to know who's playing before committing to anything backstorywise.

Greenflame133
2024-04-13, 10:51 AM
Alright then, rolling for gold [roll0]

Greenflame133
2024-04-13, 02:35 PM
I got the sheet (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2897257) mostly ready. I not entirely sure what I will do with the gold. If nothing else, slik rope and other adventuring gear is always a safe bet.

Born in an elven village, Mio had everything a child could want. Yet she found it unbearable. With a wood weaver for a mother, she was training to become a mage like her. She has even shown potential early on. However, she had little intrant in any of that. She would skip practice to play or even, getting into fights with other children. Fight, she often won, an account of growing up fast. Unfortunately, even that was not what she wanted to be doing. Her truth desire was to explore the lands. Go far and seek adventure. See the unthinkable? Perhaps even achieve great deeds and become a hero. Just like great mages and warriors, bards sang about. Of course, her family or community would not let her. For where she saw wonder, they saw danger.

At age 87, she finally gathers courage. Stole something, and left with nothing but things she could fit into a backpack. Adventuring proven to be more tiresome than expected. There was no glamour in the sleeping tent and eating dry rations, but every now and again there was something wonderful. Thing such as Dread Blossoms. A deadly flower that had her running for her life, but it was worth just see the brilliant red of their petrels and sun reflecting in morning dew.

While advantaging, her magic grew much quicker than from any practice. No longer looking at arcane scrolls, but summoning the magic in her heart, she found freed in magic, and magic in freedom. This even proven somewhat useful. Especially prestidigitation, with its many favours and ability to clean most anything. That substituted with flipping some junk was enough to survive,
and even enjoy life a little. However, as the saying goes. Best thing come for free. Like the cat she found. Ashley, a cute little thing. Perhaps they independence of a feline companion she something she found rentable, or perhaps it was simply the party tricks she enabled.

One unfortunate consequence of travelling far from her hometown was that some people would identify her, not as elf, but as changeling. Word, she did not know, but quickly learning it was bad news for her. This was an as intriguing as a deadly beauty of venomous pseudo-dragons. It even caused to desire learning and actually read a book. Eventually, leading Ashenwood

ProgressPaladin
2024-04-13, 08:54 PM
Here's my sheet (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2896811#), I've got [roll0] GP to buy equipment.

Working a bit on the backstory, but I think I'll wait to know who's playing before committing to anything backstorywise.

You might want to buy some adventuring gear. No adventurer sleeps without a bedroll or tent, nor does one eat without food.

ProgressPaladin
2024-04-13, 09:22 PM
I would also like to request elephant in the room. Without it I would have to wait for level five to get the main function of my character online, demoralizing. On an unrelated note, here is my backstory!

Even from a young age, Aunist has always been a religious man. Conceived by an Orc warlord and his war bride, he only spent the first few months of his life with Orcs. A town militia came to the war party, seeking revenge, as their town had been recently raided. Amidst the fighting, Aunist was found by a farmer, malnourished and crying. That farmer took him home, to raise as his own.

Raised by that farmer and his wife, Aunist was a big help to the farm. From ten years old, he was stronger than many men and the village. Taking in crops, helping the animals, planting, you name it, Aunist was there. But as he grew stronger, and his Orc heritage became much more evident, he was starting to be shunned by the xenophobic villagers.

As an escape from this shunning, Aunist turned to religion. He packed what he could, stayed his goodbyes, and made the journey to the church of Patroclus. Turning up at their door, looking for shelter and a home, Aunist was accepted into the church as a brother. For the first time in his life, he was shunned by nobody, and accepted, most importantly respected by all.

As Aunist’s faith grew, so did his wisdom and might. Perhaps they grew too much, as he was noticed by one of the inquisitors of the church. Asked if he wanted to be a champion of his faith, what could Aunist do but say yes? And so he became an Inquisitor. Trained in the blade, magic, and most importantly knowledge, Aunist was an exemplary student. He learned that though the core tenets of his faith were important, breaking them to make sure that the good of the faith was upheld.

With his training completed, Aunist once again packed his belongings, and headed from a home. Not to find a new one, but to protect his faith. Told to meet at an inn in Ashenwood, he headed to the small town, and has been staying at the inn these past few nights, waiting for his cause.

Qazgir
2024-04-14, 02:12 AM
You might want to buy some adventuring gear. No adventurer sleeps without a bedroll or tent, nor does one eat without food.

Totally didn't forget... updated the sheet, and here's the bit of background I've written:

There have always been two constant in Agatho's life, travel and alchemy. Born to a traveling merchant mother and alchemist father, Agatho grew up on the move, his family never staying the same place for too long. It was this childhood that sent him down the path of adventure.

While a bright student of his parent's lessons, Agatho was never interested in traditional schooling, far more content to read his father's books, or learn directly from his mother. He was also fascinated by the lands his family travelled through and the plants and animals that could be found there. He sent as much of his free time as possible wandering the lands his family passed through, collecting samples of the flora and fauna he found there.

By the time he was grown, he was a capable alchemist in his own right, but he declined to follow in his father's footsteps, instead traveling wherever his feet took him, taking up whatever work kept food in his belly while allowing him time to continue his own studies of the natural world.

Palanan
2024-04-14, 09:08 AM
Time for an applicant table:

Player
Character
Concept
Backstory
Progress

tonberryking
Noai “Punk” Berryfield (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2896538)
half-orc bloodrager
✓✓

ProgressPaladin
Aunist Dawnflower (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2896318)
half-orc inquisitor

Qazgir
Agatho Rosenkreuz (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2896811#)
half-elf alchemist

Greenflame133
Mio Kasagi (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2897257)
changeling sorcerer

_______

Following up on questions:

Originally Posted by Vegan Squirrel
I'm potentially interested, but I'm probably going to trip up over the rules every once in a while if that's something you're willing to deal with.

Not to worry, you’re welcome to apply if you’re interested.

Originally Posted by Zhentarim
I have two questions:

1) What are some useful bonus languages I can select?
2) Do we get 3 traits and a drawback?

Let’s keep it at two traits for now.

As for bonus languages, that’s always tricky. I can tell you some languages which would be less helpful—Draconic, Giant, Orc and the various planar/elemental languages will be less useful.

As for some good options to consider, dwarves are fairly prominent in the setting, and you’ll be spending time in an ancient and treacherous forest, some of whose denizens may be less earthly than others.

Spore
2024-04-14, 10:42 AM
I am aiming for a switch-hitting Aasimar ranger. A few questions:

1) The setting feels very LotR-esque in its beginnings. Would this mean an Aasimar is something between Aragorn and Gandalf (not in power, but origin)? Are alternate racial stats in (Garudakin especially?). How do you feel for abusing Minor Age Resistance with a middle-aged character (off-setting the age penalties with a spell like ability to gain a minor bonus to mental stats)?

2) What about reccomendations for Favored Enemies and Favored Terrains? I could do a Woodland Stalker who only gets one favored enemy? Is picking humans feasible? Is picking forests for the terrain feasible?

3) On bow "maintenance"/survival: Do you allow me to change up my composite bow's strength rating, to fletch some arrows by foraging feathers, wood and saving some arrowheads? On the point of gritty survival, how close do you expect us to track our ressources? I would welcome this but experience shows I am horrible at keeping track of virtual goods. How do you expect the game to go on, once we pass class features that trivialize the survival aspect - with class skills, spells and items? Do you take lighting into account? Fatigue? Diseases/poisons?

Zhentarim
2024-04-14, 11:21 AM
Time for an applicant table:

Player
Character
Concept
Backstory
Progress

tonberryking
half-orc bloodrager
✓✓

ProgressPaladin
half-orc inquisitor

Qazgir
half-elf alchemist

Greenflame133
changeling sorcerer

_______

Following up on questions:

Not to worry, you’re welcome to apply if you’re interested.

Let’s keep it at two traits for now.

As for bonus languages, that’s always tricky. I can tell you some languages which would be less helpful—Draconic, Giant, Orc and the various planar/elemental languages will be less useful.

As for some good options to consider, dwarves are fairly prominent in the setting, and you’ll be spending time in an ancient and treacherous forest, some of whose denizens may be less earthly than others.

Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Sylvan, and Undercommon are my 5 bonus languages I'll pick, then. I also will gain an additional bonus language every level, and I'll take the comprehend languages spell in case I didn't cover a language somehow. I'll also take identify.

My two traits will be Clever Wordplay (Diplomacy) and Pragmatic Activator.

Being an Int-based bard means my role is going to be knowing things.

Kallimakus
2024-04-14, 02:43 PM
Gonna be rich! [roll0]

Zhentarim
2024-04-14, 03:56 PM
Bard Wealth Roll:
[roll0] times 10

Chromascope3D
2024-04-14, 04:43 PM
I would also like to submit a god for approval, with the intent of playing a cleric for her if accepted:

Circe, Mother of Alchemy [Chaotic Neutral]

Once a minor serpent god originally worshipped by some elves and vishkanya, Circe has grown in popularity among the shorter-lived races for her relatively transgressive doctrines. Myths say that she was once an elven alchemist transformed into a serpent as punishment for trespassing on the realms of the divine, and so it follows that she is today commonly worshipped by doctors, alchemists, and natural philosophers in hopes that she will whisper inspirations in their ears as a reward for their faith and loyalty.

Favored Weapon: Quarterstaff
Holy Symbol: A staff encoiled by a single serpent
Domains (Subdomains): Chaos (Protean), Healing (Medicine, Restoration), Magic (Alchemy, Arcane), Scalykind (Venom), Knowledge

Palanan
2024-04-14, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Zhentarim
Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Sylvan, and Undercommon are my 5 bonus languages I'll pick, then.

Those are all fine except for Gnome, since gnomes don’t exist in this setting.

As for a language to fill that slot, I’ll just suggest: go weirder.

Originally Posted by Chromascope3D
I would also like to submit a god for approval, with the intent of playing a cleric for her if accepted….

Intriguing and inventive concept for a deity. Will be looking forward to seeing how your character and backstory incorporate the idea.

Zhentarim
2024-04-14, 06:19 PM
Those are all fine except for Gnome, since gnomes don’t exist in this setting.

As for a language to fill that slot, I’ll just suggest: go weirder.

Intriguing and inventive concept for a deity. Will be looking forward to seeing how your character and backstory incorporate the idea.

Aklo is the language of evil fey, so I'll pick Aklo.

Greenflame133
2024-04-15, 01:02 AM
One thing that always annoyed me is that changings not get Sylvan as a bonus language. Normally I would choose draconic as the language of magic, but since that one is likely to go unused, I think dwarven would be a safe bet

Triskavanski
2024-04-15, 11:57 PM
Ideas

Improvised weapon wielder - Occultist, brawler or maybe hunter
Rougarou Packmaster druid
Kitsune Inspired Blade Swashbuckler
wild Vigilante
Oozemorph shifter
Catfolk Archeologist Bard
Catfolk Monk

Farmerbink
2024-04-16, 11:28 AM
Rolling for starting cash for my Dwarf Druid:
[roll0] x10

She's going to be at least occasionally a literal momma bear. I haven't come up with a satisfying explanation for why she has left her home, but Falgarra Baldrydd (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2897949) (currently WIP) is a well-established Dwarven Matron with a bit of a mean streak. More likely to engage in tough love than coddling, she's a Druid VMC barbarian, perfectly content (and indeed occasionally eager) to tap into her wild side and dive into the fray.

She'll be fiercly protective of her family and friends, which I assume will include other party members, and rely on spells and her plant domain to support and provide cover while her (eventual) ability to transform into large and larger animals grants the muscle to tear down those who might threaten them.

Palanan
2024-04-16, 03:14 PM
Angry animal noted, looking forward to the backstory.

Who else is still planning to submit? We have some solid entries already, but I want to give everyone a chance to submit who’s expressed interest so far.

Chromascope3D
2024-04-16, 03:21 PM

Who else is still planning to submit? We have some solid entries already, but I want to give everyone a chance to submit who’s expressed interest so far.

I am, but work's been killing me so far this week so I haven't had a chance to sit down and write much of anything yet.

Vegan Squirrel
2024-04-16, 09:22 PM

I'm nowhere near ready yet and it's a busy week, so I'd rather you not wait just for me. There's a chance I'll submit if I get something together quickly enough, but there's also a chance it would take me another week or so.

Palanan
2024-04-16, 09:30 PM
I can very much understand about work and weeks. Right now I’m thinking of leaving the submission window open until this Sunday the 21st. Vegan and Chromascope, would that give you the time you need?

Also waiting to hear back from Kallimakus and Zhentarim.

Kallimakus
2024-04-17, 12:22 AM
I remain interested, working on some form of a human monk type of thing (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2897650).

I've been waiting if you had thoughts about the Feat Tax rules. Saves me a few Feats, not that I'm starved for those as such. Mainly I'm curious about Weapon Finesse.

Greenflame133
2024-04-17, 12:33 AM
Alright, I'm looking forward to starting this thing

Spore
2024-04-17, 12:28 PM
Rescinding interest.

Vegan Squirrel
2024-04-17, 12:55 PM
I can very much understand about work and weeks. Right now I’m thinking of leaving the submission window open until this Sunday the 21st. Vegan and Chromascope, would that give you the time you need?

Sure. If I don't get something together by then, go ahead without me.

Starting gold: [roll0]

I'm currently tinkering with a human paladin.

Greenflame133
2024-04-17, 01:25 PM
Main thing I want to know if how important survival stuff are. Is 20 days worth of days wondermeal single best investment or next to useless? Is a tent a nice roleplaying flavour or the simplest way to properly resting on a rainy night?

Zhentarim
2024-04-17, 03:32 PM
Aklo is the language of evil fey, so I'll pick Aklo.

I actually miscounted. I get six bonus langauges at level 1:
Dwarven, Elven, Sylvan, Undercommon, Aklo, and Giant

Here is my sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2896991

Adding spells/backstory now.

His name is Sylvester Scribesword, and I think his backstory will be that he and his boyfriend used to travel a lot collecting lore, but his boyfriend was killed by a monster, so he's going to the Ashenwood to honor his boyfriend's memory. I'll polish that backstory up, but that's the gist of it.

Palanan
2024-04-17, 03:33 PM
I remain interested, working on some form of a human monk type of thing.

Originally Posted by Vegan Squirrel
I'm currently tinkering with a human paladin.

Okay, deadline for completed submissions will be 1900 EST on Sunday the 21st. Hope you’ll be able to submit by then.

Also looking forward to backstory on those submissions which don’t have one yet.

Originally Posted by Greenflame133
Main thing I want to know if how important survival stuff are.

The practicalities of wilderness survival will definitely be important.

I've been waiting if you had thoughts about the Feat Tax rules…. Mainly I'm curious about Weapon Finesse.

I’m on the fence about the Elephant approach. If Weapon Finesse is your main interest, I’d prefer to work with you on that specific item, rather than making broader changes.

Greenflame133
2024-04-19, 11:33 AM
Alright, updated the sheet with some survival gear, also funky stuff like Spirit trumpet. I can't believe I haven't used one before.

Farmerbink
2024-04-19, 12:00 PM
Alright, I'm still working on finalizing equipment and spell choices and such. I've been battling (probably) the flu this week, so it's been slower going even than usual. For now, here's some background for Falgarra.

https://i.imgur.com/X7GU8oP.jpg
Falgarra (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2897949) was born the third daughter of a family that ended up with four children, only the fourth a long sought-after son. Freed from much of the family affairs by her gender and place in line, she spent an unusual amount of time outdoors- especially for a Dwarf of the Ülgurül Hills. Many of her friends had never seen the sun by their 10th year, though young Falgarra seemed inexorably drawn to the surface. Indeed, the only thing it seemed she cared more about than watching the wind bend the trees was keeping her younger brother Timothy out of trouble. Often by means of physically intervening when the tot was poised to go tumbling. Thus, when named at her 5th birthday, her mother chose "Strong Root," to enshrine the young lady's grip and intense longing for the outdoors permanently in her name.

Though she loved her time in the sun, especially gazing skyward from beneath the trees on the fringes of Ashenwood, Falgarra remained primarily beholden to her kin and clan, and spent many hours learning the various crafts and methods to living in the hills nearby. She always felt some bizarre calling, however, as she learned many of the secrets of her people. As a young woman, she spent equal parts time gamboling about in the woods to satisfy her wanderlust and poring over ancient tomes to satisfy her elders.

When she came of age, Falgarra married a fellow named Garrid, and found peace sharing his home, and raising his children. The two have two youngsters of their own, as luck would have it both boys! Her first born, Morlind is as rambunctious a young teenager as any, and his 4 year old brother will be named in the coming spring. Falgarra has already spent many a long day rolling her eyes and pulling her hair at the children's never-ending antics, though as often as not there were good-natured smiles hidden behind a hand or stein. Garrid is a good man, a brilliant craftsman, and a devoted husband. When he was called to the 10-year moot last summer as one of the representatives from the clan, it came as no surprise, though the Fathers had called for several more clansmen than they usually did.

She still hopes for a few more children some day, but Garrid and the others should have returned over a month ago, and she's starting to worry. Without word from the Hills, she simply presses on, though she can't help but feel like... *something* must have gone very wrong.

Palanan
2024-04-19, 06:20 PM
Updated applicant table:

Player
Character
Concept
Backstory
Progress

tonberryking
half-orc bloodrager
✓✓

ProgressPaladin
half-orc inquisitor

Qazgir
half-elf alchemist

Greenflame133
changeling sorcerer

FarmerBink
Falgarra Baldrydd (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2897949)
dwarven druid/VMC barbarian
✓✓

Kallimakus
(unnamed) (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2897650)
human monk
-
WIP

Zhentarim
Sylvester Scribesword (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2896991)
human bard
-
WIP

ProgressPaladin
2024-04-19, 10:11 PM
Updated applicant table:

Player
Character
Concept
Backstory
Progress

tonberryking
half-orc bloodrager
✓✓

ProgressPaladin
half-orc inquisitor

Qazgir
half-elf alchemist

Greenflame133
changeling sorcerer

FarmerBink
✓✓

Kallimakus
(unnamed) (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2897650)
human monk
-
WIP

Zhentarim
human bard
-
WIP

What does the double check on the backstory mean?

Vegan Squirrel
2024-04-20, 10:38 AM
Here is Sir Winston Lightbringer, paladin (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2898013). He's mostly finished, but I'm sure there are more details that can be worked out. For instance, I haven't specified a patron deity, but any lawful good god of light or the sun would be appropriate. I also haven't looked for traits, flaws, or archetypes, and I've more work to do on defining his personality.

In his earliest memories, Winny lived in the miserable Hiram Oglethorpe Orphanage, where the meals were meager and the supervision was mostly absent—but alarmingly harsh if you were caught misbehaving. Winny was often misbehaving, but he quickly learned to misbehave away from the orphanage. As a young boy, he loved hearing stories of heroes and adventure. The idea of going off on adventures sounded so much better than the life Winny knew, and when he would steal scraps to eat, he imagined he was liberating treasures from horrible monsters.

As he grew into a teenager, he continued to misbehave, but he started to get caught more often—usually by shopkeepers and the like. He managed to avoid too many run-ins with the city watch, but he realized they were starting to watch him more closely. One day, a couple of travelers caught sight of Winny trying to nab a loaf of bread, and they approached him with a proposition. They'd have better luck with numbers, they said, and there was a group of them in the woods who looked out for each other. To young Winny's ears, the idea of joining the bandits sounded too good to be true—a full belly, a family, and a life of adventure! Sure, they were no heroes, but those heroes from the old stories didn't seem so realistic in the harsh world young Winny knew.

So Winny became a bandit for a time, working in tandem with cutthroats and thieves to deprive merchants of their wares and travelers of their valuables. He was well-fed, and enjoyed the lifestyle, feeling only occasionally uneasy at how quickly some of his companions were ready to fire their crossbows. But there was something more sinister going on, which he only saw hints of... stealing livestock which seemed to just disappear, strange sounds at night, occasional disappearances, and mostly the strictly controlled access to the deeper caverns where only the bosses were ever allowed.

Winny wasn't the only one to grow suspicious, and eventually a powerful paladin, Sir Gregory Whiteheart, challenged the bandits and fought his way into the caverns. The bosses unleashed demons to fight the paladin, whose undaunted courage impressed young Winny. Sir Gregory defeated the demons and routed the cultist bandits, then offered a path of redemption to the younger bandits who had erred in their ways. In this way, Winston found a new calling, becoming a squire to Sir Gregory, a hero straight out of the old tales.

Winston saw the light, and worked to make amends for his misdeeds. He had barely noticed the guilt he'd been feeling, as it had accumulated so slowly, but all became clear when he finally encountered a champion of good. Winston dedicated himself to a greater purpose, to bringing the light of good and justice to the dark places where it is needed. He hopes to show young miscreants like himself that there really is a better path, and he's finally ready to be one of those heroes from the stories, embarking on a life of great adventure.

Now that his oaths are sworn, Winston, dubbed Lightbringer, is setting out into the darkness of the Ashenwood, aiming to shed the light of hope into the terrifying darkness.

Triskavanski
2024-04-20, 01:33 PM
[roll0]

rolling gold

Edit:

Made a Human Rogue from just the core rule book.

'''Óhreinindi'''<br/>
Human rogue 1<br/>
CN Medium humanoid (human)<br/>
'''Init '''+2; '''Senses '''Perception +5<br/>
----
'''Defense'''<br/>
----
'''AC '''14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 (+2 armor, +2 Dex)<br/>
'''hp '''10 (1d8+2)<br/>
'''Fort '''+1, '''Ref '''+4, '''Will '''+1<br/>
----
'''Offense'''<br/>
----
'''Speed '''30 ft. (20 ft. in armor)<br/>
'''Melee '''dagger +2 (1d4+2/19-20) or<br/>
:dagger +2 (1d4+2/19-20)<br/>
'''Ranged '''light crossbow +2 (1d8/19-20) or<br/>
:sling +2 (1d4+2)<br/>
'''Special Attacks '''sneak attack +1d6<br/>
----
'''Statistics'''<br/>
----
'''Str '''14, '''Dex '''14, '''Con '''12, '''Int '''16, '''Wis '''13, '''Cha '''10<br/>
'''Base Atk '''+0; '''CMB '''+2; '''CMD '''14<br/>
'''Feats '''Self-sufficient, Weapon Finesse<br/>
'''Skills '''Acrobatics +3 (-1 to jump), Bluff +4, Climb +3, Disable Device +4, Escape Artist +3, Heal +3, Intimidate +4, Perception +5, Sense Motive +5, Sleight of Hand +3, Stealth +3, Survival +4, Swim +3<br/>
'''Languages '''Common, Dwarven, Elven, Minatan<br/>
'''SQ '''trapfinding +1<br/>
'''Combat Gear '''caltrops, oil; '''Other Gear '''leather armor, crossbow bolts (60), dagger, dagger, light crossbow, sling, backpack, bedroll, bullseye lantern, chalk, fishing net, flint and steel, grappling hook, hemp rope (50 ft.), lockpick set, mirror, mug/tankard, pot, sack, silk rope (50 ft.), small tent, trail rations (4), waterskin, whetstone, 48 gp, 8 sp, 5 cp<br/>
----
'''Special Abilities'''<br/>
----
'''Sneak Attack +1d6''' Attacks deal extra dam if flank foe or if foe is flat-footed.<br/>
'''Trapfinding +1''' Gain a bonus to find or disable traps, including magical ones.<br/>

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at https://www.wolflair.com
Pathfinder® and associated marks and logos are trademarks of Paizo Inc.®, and are used under license.

Chromascope3D
2024-04-20, 03:24 PM
Rolling for wealth:

[roll0]

Kallimakus
2024-04-20, 05:49 PM
Updated the table

Player
Character
Concept
Backstory
Progress

tonberryking
half-orc bloodrager
✓✓

ProgressPaladin
half-orc inquisitor

Qazgir
half-elf alchemist

Greenflame133
changeling sorcerer

FarmerBink
✓✓

Kallimakus
Nessa Vandre (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2897650)
human monk
Done
About done

Zhentarim
human bard
-
WIP

Vegan Squirrel
Sir Winston Lightbringer (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2898013)
Human Paladin
-
Seems done
[/QUOTE]

Put a name and backstory for my character

Zhentarim
2024-04-20, 07:22 PM
I will write the backstory tonight in greater detail, and will hopefully get it done before the deadline.

Palanan
2024-04-21, 09:12 AM
Up-updated applicant table:

Player
Character
Concept
Backstory
Progress

tonberryking
half-orc bloodrager
✓✓

ProgressPaladin
half-orc inquisitor

Qazgir
half-elf alchemist

Greenflame133
changeling sorcerer

FarmerBink
✓✓

Kallimakus
Nessa Vandre (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2897650)
human monk

Zhentarim
human bard
-

Vegan Squirrel
Sir Winston Lightbringer (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2898013)
human paladin
✓✓

Triskavanski
Ohreinindi
human rogue
-

Chromascope3D
2024-04-21, 11:27 AM
Okay, here's Buck (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2897605) and his serpent friend Eolas (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2899733).

https://i.postimg.cc/W1r3Qfrv/FUfxmkd-Xo-AAgt2-R.jpg
Image Source (https://twitter.com/anattmar_re/status/1533459855075426304)

It was raining the day Crannlia cast his son out from the Circle. The boy had always been curious; this was not inherently a bad thing, but it had always seemed to override the virtues of traditionalism and respect that Crannlia had attempted to instill in him. The boy was always running off, this way and that, and seemed to pay little attention to his histories. How was Buchaille going to take over as archdruid for their lady Queen Líle of the Amber Court if he could not recite from memory her ancestral line?

It was that damnable snake's doing. Crannlia felt only shame when he failed to recognize the symbolic significance of his son keeping company with a serpent. The druid had hoped that the beasts presence around his son had meant that Buchaille had been willing to begin embracing his duties as warden of the Circle, rather than his corruption by promises of that witch queen Circe. Crannlia should have been tougher with the boy when he began asking why power should be maintained only by a select few, why was it so hard to see that it was because the masses would have no idea how to maintain it themselves? They would destroy each other and then themselves. It would be Buchaille's duty as druid to keep the secret rites, just as Crannlia's fathers line had done since time immemorial, to dole out their gifts as they were needed and no more than that. When Crannlia found that the boy had taken to sullying his proud elven name by calling himself "Buck," he had nearly exploded in rage. Buchaille was clearly spending too much time around those human and dwarven villages on the outskirts of their kingdom for him to be worrying about how pronounceable his name was to the lesser races.

All this, however, was nothing compared to Crannlia's most horrifying discovery, when they began to find dead beasts in the wood, flayed and disemboweled. Crannlia, of course, confronted his son. Buchaille refused to admit that he was torturing animals, he claimed that they were already dead when he found them, and that studying their anatomy would only aid in his medical practices. Well, even if they weren't alive while they were being dissected, it was no less natural to take them apart and leave their carcasses to rot in the sun. His son claimed that they could still be food for the carrion eaters, but Crannlia would hear no more of it. He forbade any more of there ghastly experiments, and that was the end of that. Buchaille seemed to have been cowed for the moment, and returned to his proper studies for the time being, or so the druid thought, until he began encountering living animals with stitched wounds. That was the last straw. Buchaille insisted that he was in the right, that pharmakeia could be a tool for good, to give the lesser races their own methods of spreading health amongst themselves without needing to study magic for decades as their people did, but Crannlia would hear none of it. This pharmakeia was an aberrant practice: Healing came from natural or divine providence as maintained by its proper stewards, while this crude approximation would only leave creatures scarred and in pain.

Crannlia gave the boy an ultimatum. Forsake the serpent that had filled his head full of heretical ideas and return to his family, or face exile. The boy chose the latter, vowing that he would prove heretical Circe's order to be correct. The druid only wept, his tears mixing with the rain, believing this to be the last he would see of the strange elf he had once called his son.

Palanan
2024-04-21, 09:02 PM
Okay, thanks to everyone for your interest and submissions. As always, there are many more solid characters than the game has room for.

Will tonberryking, FarmerBink, Vegan Squirrel, and Chromascope3D please report to the OOC thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?666768-Perils-of-the-Ashenwood-OOC&p=25999553) to check in and discuss a few particulars.

And if they'd be willing, it would be great if Kallimakus and Zhentarim would serve as alternates. Thanks again to everyone for submitting.