PDA

View Full Version : Monopoly

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-16, 05:36 AM
Do you ever play the auction rule?

Kaelaroth
2007-12-16, 05:42 AM
Sometimes, but only with my cousins. They are so dreadfully fiendish that I start to dislike them and the stupid rule immensely.... but that wears off after a few seconds and I continue to play. Go Monopoly!

I'm always the doggie. :smallsmile:

Admiral Squish
2007-12-16, 05:53 AM
I'm the battleship! I havent played in forever, though. We used to ply all the fees went into the middle of the board, then when you landed on free parking, you gt the whole pot.

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-16, 06:00 AM
We used to ply all the fees went into the middle of the board, then when you landed on free parking, you gt the whole pot.

Same here, where does that come from. I always try for the boat.

Felixaar
2007-12-16, 06:33 AM
Yeah, I follow both those rules. Also, since i have simpsons monopoly (graduation present. go figure.), im always the donut (Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?). Auction rule is usually only when theres like one or maybe two properties left on the board, though.

Keris
2007-12-16, 09:34 AM
Whenever I play, we usually don't play the auction rule, but do use the Free Parking rule.
I usually grab the dog, and try and buy the oranges, as they are 6, 8, and 9 steps away from Jail.

Archonic Energy
2007-12-16, 10:19 AM
Do you ever play the auction rule?

always. that's why it's in the rules!
and what's this free parking nonsense...
in my day...

*insert long rant here*

:smalltongue:

Attilargh
2007-12-16, 11:07 AM
I don't really care that much for Monopoly. I think I just don't have enough people to play it with.

...And when I get a group, some smart-alec builds a hotel on Erottaja (that's probably Boardwalk for you folks) and good times are had by none.

Jibar
2007-12-16, 11:19 AM
WARNING
WARNING
INCOMING CAT-MUFFIN STORY
PREPARE PERIMETER DEFENSES

Last game of Monopoly I played, I was the unofficial winner.
Having taken over the banker role in a hostile take over, I preceded to feed money to a pair who had pooled together their resources to form their own commercial empire. At the same time, I was giving money to another player to keep him in the game so that it didn't look like I was helping the other two. To keep the pretense that I wasn't doing anything, I also fudged my rolls so I could remain in prison.
In the end, when I was forced to play again when people saw me roll a double, the other two simply bought me into their empire, I let the third player crumble and together we engaged in a long battle with the fourth. When it was revealed just what had happened, I declared myself winner as no one would have won without me. No one could argue, because I was right.
So, yeah. I'm a Machavellian Monolopy Fiend.

STORY DONE
RELAX

Haruki-kun
2007-12-16, 02:06 PM
I never play the auction rule, the Free Parking money rule, or the going around once rule. I just figure they make no sense, honestly.

Archonic Energy
2007-12-16, 02:16 PM
or the going around once rule.

that's not in the RAW either... what's with these people who don't know how to play Monopoly correctly!

i'm only alowed to play it once a year, with my friends...
we get... too competitive!

Mewtarthio
2007-12-16, 02:17 PM
I used to play the auction rule when I was a banker. Unfortunately, I didn't quite do it the right way: I'd always start the auction at the property's selling price.

2007-12-16, 04:25 PM
People actually finish games of Monopoly? I thought they always just tapered out once you got to the sixth hour or so.

Studoku
2007-12-16, 06:04 PM
I never use the proper pieces. Usually I'm either a Warhammer guy or a lego man. I've also been a hotel once and even a d20.

Dihan
2007-12-16, 06:34 PM
I dislike Monopoly, it always resorts to everyone arguing, throwing money at eachother, storming off and slamming the door closed... So much for it being a family game.

Icewalker
2007-12-16, 07:02 PM
A long time ago, me and my brother would play with our babysitter. It was pretty funny.

Once the game was going on long enough without huge changes that we decided it would be allowed to go over 1 hotel, and I ended up with 2 hotels on the second dark blue (the most expensive one) and it got landed on. I think it was something like 8000. :smallbiggrin:

Good game.

blackout
2007-12-16, 07:34 PM
I always wound up with my little brother in debt to me, after giving me ALL OF HIS PROPERTY AND MONEY(NOT 'cus I cheated him), and my little sister practically cornered economically.

Superglucose
2007-12-16, 08:09 PM
Aaaah... Thanksgiving 6-8 person games of monopoly. Never play with an accountant, an insurance broker, two engineers, and a vice president of a major company. We had to have calculators and contracts, designating that 33% of the profits of group A would go to player B in return for player B giving player C two properties so player C would make a significant one time investment on group A which was part-owned by players A, D, and E.

We had to throw in the Free Parking rule just to make the game go a little faster. The way we determined the winner (since hardly anyone went bankrupt) was the person with the most total assets when the turkey came out of the oven. It was usually me, the smarmy little 12 year old who had memorized the expected returns on each property.

Since I come from a family of nerds, we play monopoly HARDCORE.

Gaelbert
2007-12-16, 09:29 PM
We have quite a few versions of monopoly, National Park, Pokemon, Normal, Star Wars, Wildlife and Lodi, to name a few, but we never play with the auction or the once around the board rule. We do use free parking, however.

bluish_wolf
2007-12-17, 01:02 AM
We have quite a few versions of monopoly, National Park, Pokemon, Normal, Star Wars, Wildlife and Lodi, to name a few, but we never play with the auction or the once around the board rule. We do use free parking, however.

Tsk. Everyone knows anti-monopoly (http://www.antimonopoly.com/) is the best variant.

Lord Shplane
2007-12-17, 01:10 AM
I have Lord of the Rings Monopoly. I always play Gimli.

Destro_Yersul
2007-12-17, 01:52 AM
I have the computer version of Star Wars monopoly. It makes me happy to turn on the auction rule, then play with three computers so I can get every property for $1.

Normally though? No Auction Rule and no "Once around" rule, whatever the crap that is. We do use the free parking rule though, because it makes free parking much more fun to land on.

Haruki-kun
2007-12-17, 03:21 AM
People actually finish games of Monopoly? I thought they always just tapered out once you got to the sixth hour or so.

I've finished one single Monopoly game in my life, I think. Maybe two. I can't remember. But it is true, people usually get bored and leave it aside. It's a good game and everything but when are you up for a long game, anyway?

Arang
2007-12-17, 09:00 AM
I once played Monopoly for something like six hours and finally lost to my uncle (we'd driven everyone else out of business, me on luck and him on his accursed financial skills) because I was too tired to figure out how much money I owed.

The auction rule sounds good, though. I'll suggest it the next time we play.

Setra
2007-12-17, 09:19 AM
Sure.

I finish them all the time, often as the winner.

We use these rules"
Money in Free Parking
Go Around The Board Once
No Auctions
Trading allowed

Once I managed to win the game simply by deals like "If I give you Park Place for your Board Walk I want immunity to paying for it", until I was immune to the entire board (except the Utilities)

I am always the Thimble.

Incidentally there are too many versions of Monopoly. My mother got Pirates Monopoly, bleh, why bother when it's the exact same game with different names that just serve to make an already long game longer?

Gungnir
2007-12-17, 12:44 PM
What, noone uses the racecar? I haven't played in years, but when I did, me, my brother and pretty much anyone else who could be classified as a kid who was playing fought over that crazy thing. I traded Broadway so I could use it once.

adanedhel9
2007-12-17, 02:04 PM
We always play with no auctions (we tried it once with auctions and didn't like it). We usually play with the Free Parking rule, but not always.

And I'm always the racecar.

I actually figured out the value of orange before I heard anything about the statistical analysis of the game... I just noticed that whoever had orange well-developed would tend to win more often than the other players.

Zakama
2007-12-17, 02:28 PM
My family insists on playing with the auction rule. :smallfurious: I hate it and am very glad to play with other people who also don't like it. My folks always want to play by the rules exactly, except we don't have to go around the board once, and we can sell houses back for the same amount we got them. :smallconfused: I'd kill to be able to play with the money going to free parking rule and no auction rule.

Last game of Monopoly I played, I was the unofficial winner.
Having taken over the banker role in a hostile take over, I preceded to feed money to a pair who had pooled together their resources to form their own commercial empire. At the same time, I was giving money to another player to keep him in the game so that it didn't look like I was helping the other two. To keep the pretense that I wasn't doing anything, I also fudged my rolls so I could remain in prison.
In the end, when I was forced to play again when people saw me roll a double, the other two simply bought me into their empire, I let the third player crumble and together we engaged in a long battle with the fourth. When it was revealed just what had happened, I declared myself winner as no one would have won without me. No one could argue, because I was right.
So, yeah. I'm a Machavellian Monolopy Fiend.

That sounds fun. I'll have to remember it next time I play with other people.

Daze
2007-12-17, 05:00 PM
I can't recall ever playing a game of Monopoly that didn't degrade into bitter tears, lost friendships and seeing-red anger... rage even.

I do use the free-parking rule though, otherwise what's the point of that space?

Dont use the auction rule though, makes an already too long game waaayyyy longer than it needs to be.

Mr. Mud
2007-12-17, 06:00 PM
Monopoly... Oh Monopoly... Every game ends in

:furious: OR :sigh: OR Why do I never get to be the Banker!?

Here is Dane Cook's Take on it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN_6yUlGC5Q) Language alert... :smalleek: ... still funny though. :smallcool:

Viola
2007-12-20, 08:53 AM
AAhahhaha!!! It's my favourite game :smallsmile:

SolkaTruesilver
2007-12-20, 07:56 PM
Me and a couple of friend who study business considered adding some side-line rules..

Consortium: If you own part of a colour, and another player also owns part of that colour, you can form a consortium (with 3 or 2 "shares") to build houses together. The cost has to be distributed by the share-prorata, but so does the profits (spread 0.3 - 0.3 - 0.4 between the shares, since the last land is earning more).

People can buy/sell shares of their consortium with no agreements on the other consortium's part. Selling houses must be agreed by all sides of the consortium, so are buying houses/hotels.

Bonds: You can issue a 100$ bond with 5$ tickets. In short, you scribe and give a piece of paper "1 Bond", which you can rebuy at any time you want for 100$ (you redeem the bond). Everytime the player-owner pass go, he receives 5$/bond owned from the player-issuer with addition of his 200$ salary.

When bonds are issued, they can be sold at any price the issuer agrees on with the potential buyers, but they always are rebought at 100%, and the tickets are always 5$.

Bonds can be traded among players, to whatever price they agree for the trade. When a player bankrupts, his assets are shared among the bond-holders, but so does his "actual" debt (if he owns 2000$ to DarkBlue owner)

Oligopoly: Two players who owns railroad or ordinances (electricity/water) can form an oligopoly in order to rise prices. They effectively act as if 1 player owned all their property, and every profit is evenly distributed among them. Unlucky players who don't have any railroads are invited to bribe railroad-owners to prevent themselves incredible prices.

So far, that's what we tough...

multilis
2007-12-25, 01:17 AM
A free game similar to monopoly, with rules modified to mean less chance. http://www.galacticmag.com

wumpus
2008-01-12, 09:46 AM
I don't remember playing with the auction rule, but the rule most people forget about is the house/hotel scarcity rule. There are 32 houses and 12 hotels in monopoly: no more. If someone manages to corner the market on houses, they are assured victory. The rules say if more than one player wish to buy the remaining houses, they are put up for auction (I suspect players should have the money available for the houses/hotels, and not be able to buy for less than they could have, but the rules say no more than "by auction").

I was either the ship or the car

PS. My copy of Monopoly for windows needs the auction turned off to prevent the computers from buying Baltic for $600 (actually happened), or other suicidal tactics.

Emperor Demonking
2008-01-12, 09:52 AM
How can people forget about that, they only have a number of hotels and houses.

Zenos
2008-01-12, 09:57 AM
I never use the proper pieces. Usually I'm either a Warhammer guy or a lego man. I've also been a hotel once and even a d20.

You play Monopoly with Warhammer pieces? :smallamused: