PDA

View Full Version : From the question thread

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-16, 07:56 AM
1) What stops players from making cure traps and other useful traps.
2) Can you have two proffesons and make money from both?

1b: The main reason I started this, what stops them making them for 0 gp, by giving low search dc.

kamikasei
2007-12-16, 08:06 AM
Since "fraw" isn't a word, I find myself wondering why this isn't in the Q&A thread.

2) Can you have two proffesons and make money from both?

No. You can have two Profession skills, but you can't make checks for both in the same time period. They represent "a week of dedicated work".

ocato
2007-12-16, 08:13 AM
FRAW= funny rules as written? This seems like a goofy joke thread, not a rip off of the Q & A.

As for useful traps, I'd love to see that in a weird mage's tower. Set off traps that summon Bigsby's magic hands that give you a neck rub or activate air freshener or create food/water to summon his favorite dinner.

UserClone
2007-12-16, 08:35 AM
Actually, there is a book which deals with beneficial "traps," I just can't remember which one it was. I vaguely recall the example being a blanket or cot you lay a dying person's body on, and it stabilizes them.

daggaz
2007-12-16, 08:50 AM
1. Silly question, and easily answered by reading the SRD section on traps and crafting them. There is nothing whatsoever to stop somebody from creating a beneficial "trap." Why should there be? The only thing limiting the player is the same as the limits for any normal trap. Trap making skill (for mechanical triggers), access to magic (for magic traps), time, and cost of materials.

You want a button that, when pressed, floods the room with a beneficial spell? No problem. Just pay the appropriate costs and build the thing according to the rules. The only problem i can see here is spells that target 'your allies,' since it is the trap releasing the magic, and the trap isnt allied with anybody. But that's a pretty easy handwave for a DM to make, and well within the bounds of rule zero.

2. Also a simple question that is easily answered by reading the SRD. What is the point of questions like these? Theres a thread for this kind of stuff, its called the "Simple Questions and Answers Thread."

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-16, 08:58 AM
2. Also a simple question that is easily answered by reading the SRD. What is the point of questions like these? Theres a thread for this kind of stuff, its called the "Simple Questions and Answers Thread."

Where's that thread and the easy answer is...

Chronos
2007-12-16, 03:19 PM
There is nothing whatsoever to stop somebody from creating a beneficial "trap." Why should there be?Because you can make really cheap unlimited-use items that way.

martyboy74
2007-12-16, 03:33 PM
Like a 'trapped' staff that shoots disintegrates out whenever a button on the top is pressed?

Rad
2007-12-16, 03:36 PM
Like a 'trapped' staff that shoots disintegrates out it's end whenever a button on the top is pressed?

that, plus you cut down the cost by lowering the search DC to realize that.

Suzuro
2007-12-16, 03:37 PM
wait...wait...wait....you want to make a staff that shoots a disintegrate out of the top when you press the top? Wouldn't that, oh, I don't know, Disintegrate your hand?

-Suzuro

martyboy74
2007-12-16, 03:38 PM
Wrong end. Otherwise, yes, that could be a bit of a problem.