PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder 1e Question about reach spells with cleric's spontaneous cure spells

Scottlang
2024-04-19, 03:54 PM
Hi all,

I am wondering how this worked, as I do not want to feel like I am playing this wrong.
I am playing a cleric with the Reach spell meta magic feat. If I want to cast if a spontaneous cure mod wounds and want to use it as close range, does it use up a 2nd level spell slot, as it is a second level spell, and a level 3 slot as it needs to be pushed up a level, does it use both a level 2 & level 3 spell slot, or just a level 3 slot as it is changing a spell spontaneously?

I am going to presume, any normal casting of cures, would need to me prayed for at that slot level, eg, a normal casting of Cure Mod, would be saved under the meta magic feat as a 3rd level slot.

I am not sure if I am doing this correct, and I do not want to cheat, because I could not wrap my head around this.

Thanks in advanced

LibraryOgre
2024-04-20, 09:17 AM
My ruling would be that it would be a 3rd level slot. You're casting a 2nd level spell, using a metamagic that increases the range to close and the slot by +1. Ergo, 3rd level slot, assuming metamagic can apply to spontaneously cast cures (which I would allow).

Kurald Galain
2024-04-20, 09:53 AM
does it use both a level 2 & level 3 spell slot, or just a level 3 slot as it is changing a spell spontaneously?

You never spend two slots for one spell.

vasilidor
2024-04-21, 03:31 PM
one third level slot would be expended.