PDA

View Full Version : Quick opinion: Beelzebubba or Bubba Yaga?

Bryan
2024-04-20, 04:16 PM
I'm running a 5e game (actually using Into the Unknown rules set, but that's not important) using a whimsical Americana style setting that's pretty silly. Going for a feel like Unsleeping City from Dimension 20 but I've never lived in New York so its kind of the rest of America.
Anyway, the thread the players have been pulling on leads to a boss battle in the Appellation Mountains. Basically, a hillbilly big-bad has been making supernatural deals with people. Now that they're getting close, I need to decide if this bad guy is a devil or a he-hag. Both routes have a lot of potential, imagery-wise.

Damon_Tor
2024-04-20, 07:01 PM
Not the evil god Bhubbaal?

Bryan
2024-04-20, 07:10 PM
Not the evil god Bhubbaal?
Darn it!
I actually came here to narrow my options 😭

Kane0
2024-04-20, 07:28 PM
Why not make them a couple?

KorvinStarmast
2024-04-20, 07:37 PM
Beelzebubba Beerzebubba

Who drinks blue ribbon beer. :smallbiggrin:

Bryan
2024-04-20, 08:14 PM
Beelzebubba Beerzebubba

Who drinks blue ribbon beer. :smallbiggrin:

I actually like that. The only issue is the moment of the reveal. I feel like if I say "Beelzebubba" or "Bubba Yaga", they're gonna get it instantly and the room explodes with laughter. While Beerzebubba is narratively better, I think I'd say that name and get some blank stares until I explained the gag.

NRSASD
2024-04-21, 07:06 AM
Beelzebubba, no question.

Bryan
2024-04-21, 08:10 AM
Thanks very much. I'm going with Bubba Yaga, since the imagery is more distinctive; an old mobile home dancing on the legs of an old hound with a wagging tail and whatnot.
But thanks to you guys, at some point later on, the group will meet Beerzebub, Fiendish Prince of Hops. Men will be selling their souls to live awesome lives based on old beer commercials or something. I don't know exactly, the concept is still nebulous in my head.

KorvinStarmast
2024-04-21, 11:08 AM
Thanks very much. I'm going with Bubba Yaga, since the imagery is more distinctive; an old mobile home dancing on the legs of an old hound with a wagging tail and whatnot.
But thanks to you guys, at some point later on, the group will meet Beerzebub, Fiendish Prince of Hops. Men will be selling their souls to live awesome lives based on old beer commercials or something. I don't know exactly, the concept is still nebulous in my head. Make sure that the cult leaders or high priest offer blessings and salutations "In the name of the barrel, and of the foam, and of the golden nectar" or something like that.

My celestial warlock does that. He's a dwarf who likes beer and serves an Emyprean of such things (the vine, spirits, beer, etc) in our Curse of Strahd campaign. I have a small macro in roll20 that I push to put that blessing/greeting into the chat.

Also: love Bubba Yaga. :smallsmile:

Kurald Galain
2024-04-21, 02:20 PM
FWIW Beelzebubba would be Middle-Eastern and Bubba Yaga would be Russian. Not that that should stop you from using them, of course; but maybe it affects their accent or their taste in strong liquor or whatnot.

grarrrg
2024-04-21, 06:11 PM
Just leave this here.
https://img.ifunny.co/images/9cec6b775ecc5ba8b41d5600d7a492ea25b75dbdfb3284a4c0 e208dc194975a5_1.webp

Rynjin
2024-04-22, 04:09 PM
But thanks to you guys, at some point later on, the group will meet Beerzebub, Fiendish Prince of Hops. Men will be selling their souls to live awesome lives based on old beer commercials or something. I don't know exactly, the concept is still nebulous in my head.

At that point he may as well be "Beelzebud" and offer to make the party "real men of genius". =p

KorvinStarmast
2024-04-22, 04:18 PM
At that point he may as well be "Beelzebud" and offer to make the party "real men of genius". =p Cackled, I did. :smallbiggrin:

Bryan
2024-04-22, 07:31 PM
Just leave this here.
https://img.ifunny.co/images/9cec6b775ecc5ba8b41d5600d7a492ea25b75dbdfb3284a4c0 e208dc194975a5_1.webp

Aw 😭
I knew I was pushing whimsical beyond silliness but I thought I was at least being original about it 😂