PDA

View Full Version : "Able to acquire a new familiar"

benuneko
2007-12-16, 03:18 PM
I've been looking at things like the Improved Familiar feat from the Complete Warrior and the Dragon Familiar feat from the Draconomicon and have been slightly frustrated because they point to you a bunch of information in the PHB about being able to acquire a new familiar that just isn't there. The sidebar says nothing about it, and the Summon Familiar class description only mentions dismissed and dead familiars. What does it mean to be able to acquire a new familiar? Must one dismiss his familiar (suffering the potentially large experience penalty) in order to acquire a new one? Can someone shed light on this for me?

Thanks! =]

TheLogman
2007-12-16, 03:30 PM
Basically it means you don't have a familiar, but could. You could dismiss your familiar, but the best idea is to wait until it dies, or if you are planning to the take the feat, just don't get one until you get the feat.

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-16, 03:31 PM
Their are three circumstances that give you the "able to acquire a new familiar" condition.
Your familiar died
You dismissed your familiar
You have not yet summoned a familiar

That's about it.

Chronos
2007-12-16, 04:08 PM
Plus, if your familiar dies or is dismissed, you have to wait a year before you can call your next one. So it's a really good idea to just not get one at all until you can get the one you want.

Curmudgeon
2007-12-16, 06:55 PM
Since this appears to be appropriate to the thread topic, I'll pose a question here:

What classes without arcane spellcasting allow you to acquire a familiar? I know of the Mystic Wanderer (in Magic of Faerun), but that's all.

UserClone
2007-12-16, 07:08 PM
I think anyone with the Acquire Familiar feat, though I'm not sure; it may have an Arcane spellcasting prereq.

Chronos
2007-12-16, 08:32 PM
The Adept (NPC class) is a divine spellcaster, and they get a familiar at level 2.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-12-16, 09:44 PM
Since this appears to be appropriate to the thread topic, I'll pose a question here:

What classes without arcane spellcasting allow you to acquire a familiar? I know of the Mystic Wanderer (in Magic of Faerun), but that's all.

The UA/D20 SRD variant divine "Spellcaster" can use a bonus feat to summon a familiar.

tsuyoshikentsu
2007-12-16, 11:28 PM
Also, a UA ranger can trade his animal companion for a familiar.

cupkeyk
2007-12-17, 08:45 AM
Also, a UA ranger can trade his animal companion for a familiar.

What? no they don't...

Maybe you are thinking of the Urban Companion option for druids and Rangers, but since the alternative class feature is only like Familiars, it still isn't and won't qualify for draconic or improved familiar.