PDA

View Full Version : scribing scrolls - time required

EphU437
2007-12-16, 07:27 PM
Based on the core 3.5 rules:

How long does it take to scribe a scroll? how many spells can eb scribed a day?

1. a scroll with three scribings of knock?

2. a scroll of magic missile?

3. 3 seperate scrolls fo magic missile?

Thanks,
Eph

AslanCross
2007-12-16, 07:37 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm

Here's all the information you need. The costs for specific spells can be calculated from there.

EphU437
2007-12-16, 07:51 PM
the SRD doesn't clearly address my questions (or at least, it doesn't seem to give the answers I want).

Is the limit on scribing 1 spell a day? Or can you scribe any number as long as the value is less than 1000?

Lochar
2007-12-16, 07:52 PM
1 magic item a day.

Of course, you can scribe a single scroll with multiple spells on it, just like you can find them scribed that way.

Hario
2007-12-16, 08:02 PM
Ok since I played an artificer who scribed scrolls all the time this is fairly easy. The game assumes you have 8 hours of which the maximum to work, so when it says 1 day, it really means 8 hours so you take 1k =8 hours or take the price and divide it by 8 hours to find out how long it takes. So say its a scroll of knock which is 150 gp. 150= 15% of 1k= .15 * 480 (8 hours in minutes)= 72 minutes

A scroll of knock X3= 450 so .45* 480= 216 ( or 3.6 hours)

Scroll of magic missile is 25 gp so .025 * 480= 12 minutes

Scroll of Magic Missle X3= 75 gp so .075* 480= 36 minutes

Jack_Simth
2007-12-16, 08:15 PM
Ok since I played an artificer who scribed scrolls all the time this is fairly easy. The game assumes you have 8 hours of which the maximum to work, so when it says 1 day, it really means 8 hours so you take 1k =8 hours or take the price and divide it by 8 hours to find out how long it takes. So say its a scroll of knock which is 150 gp. 150= 15% of 1k= .15 * 480 (8 hours in minutes)= 72 minutes

A scroll of knock X3= 450 so .45* 480= 216 ( or 3.6 hours)

Scroll of magic missile is 25 gp so .025 * 480= 12 minutes

Scroll of Magic Missle X3= 75 gp so .075* 480= 36 minutes

You missed a clause - there's a minimum of 1 day. That 25 gp caster level 1 scroll of Mage Armor still takes the full 8 hours.

Edit:
As for the OP, the question boils down to: Is a scroll with three spells one magic item or three magic items? For that, check with your DM.

Hario
2007-12-16, 08:24 PM
You missed a clause - there's a minimum of 1 day. That 25 gp caster level 1 scroll of Mage Armor still takes the full 8 hours.

Edit:
As for the OP, the question boils down to: Is a scroll with three spells one magic item or three magic items? For that, check with your DM.
Honestly I don't know why that rule is there, especially on scrolls I can scribe a scroll of cure minor wounds in 6 minutes (4 if you take the feat which lowers time by 25%), which is practically nothing, but can't do it again the rest of the day. which is darned silly. You can make some alchimest fire as much as you want *up to 8 hours worth* but can only make one potion of cure light wounds. Last time I checked in fantasy people brewed potions in mass not a little flask that took me 12 minutes to brew and then can't make anything the rest of the day. I can understand why the rule is there, but not for expendable items like scrolls and potions.

Jack_Simth
2007-12-16, 08:37 PM
Honestly I don't know why that rule is there, especially on scrolls I can scribe a scroll of cure minor wounds in 6 minutes (4 if you take the feat which lowers time by 25%), which is practically nothing, but can't do it again the rest of the day. which is darned silly. You can make some alchimest fire as much as you want *up to 8 hours worth* but can only make one potion of cure light wounds. Last time I checked in fantasy people brewed potions in mass not a little flask that took me 12 minutes to brew and then can't make anything the rest of the day. I can understand why the rule is there, but not for expendable items like scrolls and potions.
You're not limited to one item in a day, so much as the minimum time to make an item is one day. That scroll of Cure Minor Wounds takes the full 8 hours, not merely six minutes. Here....

The creator also needs a fairly quiet, comfortable, and well-lit place in which to work. Any place suitable for preparing spells is suitable for making items. Creating an item requires one day per 1,000 gp in the item’s base price, with a minimum of at least one day. Potions are an exception to this rule; they always take just one day to brew. The character must spend the gold and XP at the beginning of the construction process.

The caster works for 8 hours each day. He cannot rush the process by working longer each day. But the days need not be consecutive, and the caster can use the rest of his time as he sees fit.

(Emphasis added)
That caster level 1 scroll of Cure Light Wounds (market price: 25 gp) takes a full 8 hours to create.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-12-16, 09:52 PM
Normally limited to 1 scroll a day taking 8 hours for a scroll valued at 1,000 GP or less market price normally unless the PC has a special PRC, feat or other class special like the Master Alchemist PRC from Magic of Faerun which can brew 2 potions a day totaling less than 1,000 GP at PRC - 1 and brew 3 potions a day totaling less than 1,000 GP at PRC - 5 and up to 4 potions a day totaling less than 1,000 GP at PRC - 9.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-16, 10:01 PM
(Emphasis added)
That caster level 1 scroll of Cure Light Wounds (market price: 25 gp) takes a full 8 hours to create.
Which is downright weird since a scroll with 40 caster level 1 cure light wounds spells also takes exactly 8 hours.

And then a scroll of 41 cure light wounds spells takes 16 hours over two days...

:smallannoyed:

Theli
2007-12-16, 10:48 PM
Heh, kinda off-topic but...

I'd like to see the character that can cast 40+ cure light wounds in a single day. :p

SilverClawShift
2007-12-17, 02:23 AM
The game assumes you have 8 hours of which the maximum to work, so when it says 1 day, it really means 8 hours so you take 1k =8 hours or take the price and divide it by 8 hours to find out how long it takes.

By the rules, strictly, that's not true.

But our DM houserules the same thing (but he uses 16 hours, figuring that the crafting essentially takes up most of your non-sleep time). Let's us make scrolls or wands in hours instead of 1 day=1 scroll.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-17, 08:45 AM
I'd like to see the character that can cast 40+ cure light wounds in a single day. :p
Well, you could make it using a wand of cure light wounds to supply the castings...

Or if you want something that makes a bit more sense, find someone or something with enough uses of cure light wounds as a spell-like ability. Like maybe a dozen or so unicorns.

Yeah, it's best we leave that as a purely theoretical example.

mostlyharmful
2007-12-17, 08:54 AM
It's just as dumb for a wizard to scribe spells, one per day no matter how good you are and the ink must cost 100gp per page. This isn't to create a magic item or imbue the pages with any knid of magic as the book doesn't show as magic so it's just really really really fussy calligraphy. And the cost cant be experimentation or using up random stuff to learn the spell in total as it still costs you 50gp a page to copy your own work into a new book. And you can only do it once a day:smallmad: So much for understanding the laws of the universe and working magic by means of your skill/wisdom. I always try to get a DM to homebrew this out so magic writing is non-insanely-expensive and just formulae in draconic instead. Makes it much more dangerous.:smallsmile:

EphU437
2007-12-17, 10:53 AM
So, does everyone agree that according to the core rules, a scroll containing 3 knock spells (or 40 CLW spells) requires 1 day (8 hours) to scribe?

Thanks,
Eph

Saph
2007-12-17, 11:00 AM
So, does everyone agree that according to the core rules, a scroll containing 3 knock spells (or 40 CLW spells) requires 1 day (8 hours) to scribe?

Yup.

Though I'm not sure if you can fit 40 spells on one scroll. But you've got the right idea.

- Saph

Kaelik
2007-12-17, 12:40 PM
It's just as dumb for a wizard to scribe spells, one per day no matter how good you are and the ink must cost 100gp per page. This isn't to create a magic item or imbue the pages with any knid of magic as the book doesn't show as magic so it's just really really really fussy calligraphy. And the cost cant be experimentation or using up random stuff to learn the spell in total as it still costs you 50gp a page to copy your own work into a new book. And you can only do it once a day:smallmad: So much for understanding the laws of the universe and working magic by means of your skill/wisdom. I always try to get a DM to homebrew this out so magic writing is non-insanely-expensive and just formulae in draconic instead. Makes it much more dangerous.:smallsmile:

But wizards can counter the laws of physics when adding to their spellbook. It's called Secret Page.

Corlis
2007-12-17, 12:48 PM
It's just as dumb for a wizard to scribe spells, one per day no matter how good you are and the ink must cost 100gp per page. This isn't to create a magic item or imbue the pages with any knid of magic as the book doesn't show as magic so it's just really really really fussy calligraphy. And the cost cant be experimentation or using up random stuff to learn the spell in total as it still costs you 50gp a page to copy your own work into a new book. And you can only do it once a day:smallmad: So much for understanding the laws of the universe and working magic by means of your skill/wisdom. I always try to get a DM to homebrew this out so magic writing is non-insanely-expensive and just formulae in draconic instead. Makes it much more dangerous.:smallsmile:I think the cost of scribing to your spellbook is there to balance the wizard's power.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-17, 01:04 PM
Though I'm not sure if you can fit 40 spells on one scroll.
There is no set maximum to my knowledge. Just as long as you have enough scroll paper, I guess.

I know various splatbooks do address how long it would take to find a specifi spell on particularly long scrolls, though. Of course, if the scroll is all the same spell, that doesn't matter much.