PDA

View Full Version : homebrew worlds

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-16, 07:57 PM
I created some orcs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66367) and I've been thinking about the world I want to fit them into. This world would also serve to house any other homebrews I will make but that will come in time, right now I'm at a loss for ideas, I'll probably think of something in a bit but I wanted to get some other peoples ideas for a world. (a definitely D&D world)

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-17, 05:27 PM
I was thinking of naming my world Karnith, It would be known to the Orcs of Gilgrol as as Gorgum. The Gilgrol orcs are somewhat like humanity usually is, they are diverse and different, even though they share similar qualities, and they are the youngest race as of yet. Noone knows truly where they came from, but noone has looked that far into it. Humans in this world are like elves usually are, ancient and enigmatic with long lives, though not as long as elven lives are traditionally. Elves spend all their times in the forests, commuting with nature and becoming one with the forest, they are the sentinels and the guards of the forest, and rarely do they venture forth from them. Dwarves tend to stay underground, interfering as little as possible with the goings on of the upper-world, they often live with Gnomes and Halflings, sharing space and resources. Kobolds likewise stay below ground as much as possible, usually lower than dwarves and their kin, rejecting them for the abuse and scorn they usually receive from them. Kobolds can be found closer to the surface however, in the homes of Dragons and the allies of dragons.

thats all i have so far, whatcha think?

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-12-17, 06:14 PM
Your bare bones of the setting so far seem very classic with a couple of vague tweaks - but unfortunately that also means there isn't a lot to distinguish them from other settings. Nice names, by the way.

What sort of ancient enigmas are you planning for humans? Are they the descendants of a long-dead ubiquitous civilisation, and the fantasy races are the newcomers? Are they highly enlightened psionicist masters of philosophy who have conquered war and strife and seek only truth through peace?

Also, who are the bad guys in your world? Does corruption lurk under every mask of virtue, or are there black-skull-masked Magisters ruling the slave pits of the western continent? Are their guilds constantly working against each other to get on top? Is there a holy war between the orcs and the dwarves, or between two (or more) human nations, or what?

I'm not trying to give you ideas, I just want to know what your plans for the setting are. You need to set out how the races interact, who the PCs will be struggling with, that sort of thing.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-17, 06:28 PM
For Humans I was thinking something along the lines of this

The race of mankind has been on the world they dubbed Karnith since as far as any mortal race can remember, it is said by some that they were the first race ever, others say they were mere slaves to the first and rose in uprising, and overcame their masters. However all that is truly know is that they are the oldest race known and they are currently the undisputed rulers of the upper-world. A few realms such as that of Gilgrol are not under their sway, but they are confident such shall change in time. To describe humans as "evil" is a grave misjudging of character, for Humans are not truly malicious in nature, rather they are amoral, they are neutral. Humans care little about being judged this way or that, evil or good, chaos or law, they merely care for their people and their goals. Humanities bastions are those of massive iron and will, and their gods are cold as ice and hard as steel. Mankind is named by many as the industry that they have made their way into rulers of their world "The Iron Peoples" they are known as for they are hard as iron and as caring.

this is just my first thoughts, they will probably change from this but this is just my initial idea for humans.

also evil will be something that happens, there will probably be one major evil race but I can't decide who they should be. there will probably alot of other "evil races" other than this one, but the one will be like the evil everyone knows about and has to deal with, even other evil races.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-17, 08:11 PM
Does anyone have any good sources for the races of the sea in D&D, Cause I'm thinking the great evil in my world is going to be the races of the sea.

Daegann Darrow
2007-12-17, 09:30 PM
Sources from D&D? Pshaw, old news. How 'bout some older news! If your maniacal evil race is undersea dwellers, look to Lovecraft. That dude had some creepy undersea evils in a crapload of his stories. Think Cthulu...

Anyways, how about a race based off the sahauagin from MM2? Don't go with them exactly though, you're making your own world fah gawd's sakes. Modify their stats to fit your needs. Make 'em amphibious. Have the moon of your planet have a tungsten core so its mad mass will cause huge tidal flux in the oceans, so they can get to your lands and ravage them without much effort. Make 'em worship some crazy stargod or something like most Lovecraftian creatures. Instead of using nets and tridents give them the ability to heat their skin so they can just boil anything in the water. (That'll give em a high CR) Instead of four arms give them three, evenly spaced on their trunk/torso. Give em tentacles. Make em slimy. See where I'm goin with this?

Phew. Okay. Hope that gets your brain juices running.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-17, 09:38 PM
Well for one of the main evil races I would probably use Aboleths and have them worship some of the Old Gods and maybe like a couple of new Sea Gods who are all about conquering the land because it rightfully belongs to the dwellers of the sea and all. But I really kind of want like the "native" sea folk like marrow and sea elves and stuff being evil and wishing doom and death upon the dwellers of the land, being evil and all.

Daegann Darrow
2007-12-17, 10:00 PM
Evil Sea Elves? Nifty idea...

What about having the Marrow and the Sea Elves being the same race? It's sort of like the Sahuagin having their normal race but with mutants who look like sea elves, except for your seas it's the Marrow that are the mutant Sea Elves. Like shock troops. Or have it so Marrow are the only amphibious, but the Sea Elves are powerful spell casters and can take some ocean with them when they attack?

RandomFellow
2007-12-18, 07:54 PM
Does anyone have any good sources for the races of the sea in D&D, Cause I'm thinking the great evil in my world is going to be the races of the sea.

I'd seriously consider getting Stormwrack since it has both sea based PC races, rules for sea based combat, sea themed PrCs, etc.

-------
Personally I like evil elves too. =)

DraPrime
2007-12-18, 08:08 PM
Little bit of advice when it comes to making campaign settings: Don't get sidetracked making all sorts of interesting details. I like the idea of evil races of the sea. That's something I haven't seen before. If you want some inspiration, go ahead and look at my (unfinished) campaign setting. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48579&highlight=Halves)

FlyMolo
2007-12-18, 08:09 PM
Remember to include Earth elementals. Dwarven Earth elemental armies versus the evil and chaotic caprices of the sea elves! War no 1, right there.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-19, 03:48 PM
Hmm I'm thinking that Sea Elves will be corrupted elves or be like from a totally different race, that were "created" to infiltrate the surface elves, or something like that.

Metal Head
2007-12-19, 08:04 PM
Personally, I like the idea of sea elves being created to infiltrate the elves. I'm curious as to who did it though.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-19, 09:35 PM
Hm, I'll probably make another race to fit this role, they would probably either be more powerful than the Aboleths, or be the their direct underlings.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-21, 11:11 PM
In this world, while there will be Druids and such, the true defenders of the worlds balance are, SURPRISE! the Undead! particularly skeletons (of all races) under the command of Skelob, the Lord of Bones, the King of the Underworld, The Great Ivory Lord, Master of the Skeletal Lords.

Skelob is the True Neutral lord of the underworld, and the patron god of all skeletal undead. Skelob believes in the perfect harmony and balance of the Multiverse, just as in Death. All skeletal undead who serve Skelob are completely sentient, and most are the willing souls of the dead who heard Skelobs call for balance, and who are the true believers of the balance of the Multiverse, many of these souls were druids, but since after judgement all souls are deemed equal they come from many walks of life, so that in undeath former Paladins might fight side by side with former Blackguards, under the same banner and cause. Skelobs favored weapon is the Scimitar, His domains are death, balance, and undeath. Skelobs clerics are almost exclusively reanimated skeletons, who serve their master in death for the cause of true balance, though Skelob does have mortal servants they are more common than one might think, for though Skelob is partial to the Skeletal Dead, he allows any who truly believe in balance to worship him.

The Kingdom of Skelobs "Skeletal Lords" who are as kings of the undead and balance, lies far in the south, in what was once known as the Great Graveyard, where the corpses of many fallen, friend and foe alike, were buried after the War of Krish. So many dead remained after that battle that the land of the slaughtered peoples of Krish became a graveyard. After the First Lords of Skelob, who lead in his name still, came to this land, they asked their lord to seek the souls of the dead of this war, and ask them if they serve in his and their name, so that there is never such unjust balance as their was that allowed the slaughter of their land, and the death of so many soldiers merely doing their duty. A great many joined the cause of Balance, from both sides. And so now the Land known as Krish and The Great Graveyard, became known as "Boringa" which in the Language of Death means "Kingdom of Bones"

thats all I've got so far.