PDA

View Full Version : MTG to D&D

Lady Tialait
2007-12-16, 09:27 PM
Anyone who has Read the Artifact Cycle, or played Magic: the Gathering has atleast heard of thease charitors. I want to stat them out...or atleast give them a rough outline...points for completeness all of them should be atleast around ECL 20...let's see what we have

Urza, The Artificer
Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
Mishra, Brother of Urza
Lim-Dul, Necromancer
Mageta, The Lion
Karn, Silver Golem

What does anyone think...and yes a few are from the Ice Age cycle..well...more then a few..but they are my favorates and I need idea how to stat them out.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-16, 09:36 PM
Planeswalkers CAN'T be made in 20 levels. They're OMGEPICZ0RZ!

Jaya Ballard resides on this forums, so no need to stat him. As for the rest, dunno.

Lady Tialait
2007-12-16, 09:39 PM
I wasn't thinking Planeswalkers,
Urza, The Artificer had the spark but he wasn't a Planeswalker yet, not till he killed Mishra and started the Ice Age. I was thinking for him 20 Artificer...or such..but that seemed to easy.

Kojiro Kakita
2007-12-16, 09:43 PM
Depends, are Might and Weak stone abilities class abilities or artifacts.

Lady Tialait
2007-12-16, 09:45 PM
Might and Weak stone would sooo be Artifacts, I mean I don't know if you have read the Artifact cycle, but Mishra and Urza found them...in the Thran ruins.

wadledo
2007-12-16, 10:03 PM
I'm thinking him early in the book as a 5th level wizard/arificer with 19 int and 5-6 CHA, with his brother being a Sorcerer/"----"blade with 16 Cha, decent Int but lowish wisdom.
And after planeswalkerawsomeness puting his extra points into cha as he tries to understand and control people.

For Jaya, spell theif, probobly 10-12ish.

Lim-Dul: we don't hear much about his backstory, but most likly a Fighter 1/Necromancer wizard ?zombie? 4-7/Archmage 5

Mageta: Who?

Karn: Pure monk, with some levels in paladin when he actualy starts fighting.

Lady Tialait
2007-12-16, 10:09 PM
Mageta the Lion was one of my favorates, he didn't show up till onslaught tho. so ignore him enless you remeber him.

oddly on Mishra I agree with the ToB stuff..(As much as I hate it) he did some really messed up stuff with the blade, as for Sorc, I dunno. He didn't have the Talent for it as much as Urza, nor did we see him casting.

Urza didn't cast either till he became the Planewalkerawesomegodlike. I'd say Expert 3/Artificer X

Mishra ___Blade 4/Bard x

And keep Mishra one level higher then Urza and that should give them about the right this or that

Lim-Dul is THE Necromancer, I'd say for him...Necromancer (atleast 10)/Cleric of Death and Undeath X/ True Necro X

but I don't know if that would build a good Super Necromancer..

Jaya I see as a Spell theif..

Karn...Monk...Warforged Monk with some odd abilities..perhaps that PrC..forgot the name from Complet Psionic that has to do with messing with time.

TheElfLord
2007-12-16, 10:19 PM
Lim Dul started out as a soldier, so a level of fighter or warrior would be appropreate.

Mishra never casts spells and dismisses the whole notion so I wouldn't give him any spell caster abilites.

Urza does cast right at the end, so i would make his 20th level a sorcerer level.

wadledo
2007-12-16, 10:26 PM
Urza does cast right at the end, so i would make his 20th level a sorcerer level.
He is no Cha what so ever!:smallconfused:

Crafting feats, because even though mana was not "discovered" until right before his assention, he would have those fruity goblin esque making stuff feats because, well, he's a nut.

(I don't have ToB, so I was refering to Dusk and Hex myself)
Diplomancer/____blade/some kind of warlord PrC?

Lim-Dul was the guy from the "first" goblin wars, right? The one who found the caves?
I can't honestly remember.

What about the 2 Johan's and the characters from Legends I?

Lady Tialait
2007-12-17, 07:49 AM
I will Agree with Lim-dul haveing 1 or 2 levels of Warrior..and Urza as a Sorc is just out...no social Skills...his brother on the otherhand...yeah...loads of them

Johan? hmmmm

What about Leshrac..or Watever...the nightblahblah...the Guy who loves black mana to death....literally (he died in the Time Spiral...was killed by Nico Balos!)

Kurald Galain
2007-12-17, 07:55 AM
Most of these would seem surprisingly easy...

Urza is an artificer.
Jaya Ballard is obviously an evoker with the Extra Crispy prestige class. (edit) or, come to think of it, a Hellfire Warlock.
Mishra is also an artificer, but lower level, nyah
Lim-Dul is, surprisingly, a necromancer. Probably a Dread or True, come to think of it.
Mageta I don't really know, but he sounds like a ranger.
And Karn is, well, a golem.

Ta dah :smallbiggrin:

Lady Tialait
2007-12-17, 07:59 AM
Karn is a Golem, but he has a soul, hence living Contruct fits him better.

Urza is an Artificer, but what level would you give him?

Mishra never had a mind for Machines, he could work on them...(no more then a craft skill really) his real talents lay in his ability to talk to peaple...Diplomancer works perfectly.

Jaya Ballard woldn't be Evoker, I see Warmage, w/extra Crispy PrC....

Lim-Dul is indeed a Necromancer....not just 'a' necromancer..but THE Necromancer, he makes all the other necromancers squirm with his power.

I need atleast some estimated levels.

ALOR
2007-12-17, 08:36 AM
I'm really surprised that no one out there has turned MtG into a homebrew setting or stated out some of the iconic names and items. I always thought the fluff of the MtG setting would have made a neat campaign world.

Lady Tialait
2007-12-17, 08:41 AM
I agree, i'm homebrewing it that is why i need some of the Iconic guys.

here is some of what I have

Amulet of Kroog:
Activicating this Amulet is a Standard Action, after this Amulet is Activated you gain DR 5/- for 1 round, the Amulet may be Activated upto 3 times a day.

Rod of Ruin:
Activicating this Rod is a Standard Action, after this you may shoot a ray of pure distructive force at a target (ranged touch attack) for three rounds, the attack deals 2D8 damage. the rod can be activated 3 times a day.

I'm working on more things...but that is all i've gotten.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-12-17, 09:19 AM
remember to have gemstones that allow you to cast any spell you know without expending the spell only one use though.... The schools the stones allow are (Ruby-Evocation/chaos/fire, Emerald- Alteration/transmutation/nature, Saphire- enchantment/illusion/water/air, Pearl(opal?) - Divination/protection/healing, Onyx- Necromancy/death)

And don't forget that goblins have rocket launchers...:smallbiggrin:

Lady Tialait
2007-12-17, 09:22 AM
my..mox senses are tingleing...

Drascin
2007-12-17, 10:29 AM
I always thought the fluff of the MtG setting would have made a neat campaign world.

Well, I am planning a GURPS Ravnica campaign, because I like that world very much. But that can hardly be called traditional MtG, what with the whole "heavy dungeon-punk" stuff and the complete lack of Dominaria :smalltongue: .

Lady Tialait
2007-12-17, 10:41 AM
Dominaria is just a wonderful place personally...good luck on your Ravinca, I think i'll need alot of help, if anyone wants to help me brew Dominaria up..I can start a project Thread on Homebrew, but I kinda wanna know who all would be in on it.

ALOR
2007-12-17, 11:01 AM
Dominaria is just a wonderful place personally...good luck on your Ravinca, I think i'll need alot of help, if anyone wants to help me brew Dominaria up..I can start a project Thread on Homebrew, but I kinda wanna know who all would be in on it.

I'd like to help but to behonest, I havent played magic in years and I've probably forgtten to much of the fluff to be helpful.

TheElfLord
2007-12-17, 01:40 PM
Urza wasn't a good people person, but that doesn't mean he had an abomable Charisma. 3.5 Cha is force of personality, which Urza had in spades. First he convinces his boss to fund an insane expensive project to win the hand of a princine, then later 3 nations basically gave their sovergnty to him. He has a decent Cha, but never spent anything in social skills.

At least that's my read.

Lady Tialait
2007-12-17, 01:44 PM
your saying no Socail skills...so no ranks in Dioplomacy..I don't see him as 19 cha...Minimum for a good Sorc.

I see Intelligence...maybe a 14 cha

Mishra on the other and I see with loads of Cha, loads and Loads.

Ganurath
2007-12-17, 02:16 PM
Urza, The Artificer: Diviner with necromancy barred, specialized in Item Creation. Methinks Diviner 7 + Effigy Master 4 + Loremaster 1.
Jaya Ballard, Task Mage: She really likes fire, but she's a mercenary so she's social too. I think Spellthief at first level, and Sorceror 7 levels to meet the requirements for Elemental Savant (fire.) I think 3 levels, for Energy Penetration.
Mishra, Brother of Urza: He had no facilities with magic whatsoever, so either Artificer or a UMD rogue. Perhaps dabbling in Warlock at later levels for Craft Feats.
Lim-Dul, Necromancer: Dread Necromancer, enough said.
Mageta, The Lion: An obscure human commander from Prophecies who never came back up. I'd say Mid-Level Cleavage Fighter with Leadership and notable Charisma.
Karn, Silver Golem: Effigy of a strong human warrior, pretty much.

As for my own additions:
Planeswalkers: Apply the Paragon Template and 20 levels of the character's spellcasting class of choice. If they have none, Sorceror. Also, let them planeshift at will.

New Planeswalkers: Planeshift at will, nothing else.

Yawgmoth: Epic Paragon Pseudonatural Warlock/Dread Necro Gestalt.

Phyrexian Shock Troops: Homebrewed Human Zombie Effigies. The bloodstock are originally centaurs, the scuta damn crabs.

WhyBother
2007-12-17, 03:03 PM
I wasn't thinking Planeswalkers,
Urza, The Artificer had the spark but he wasn't a Planeswalker yet, not till he killed Mishra and started the Ice Age.

It's been a while (and hence this may have been retconned since I stopped playing), but I'm pretty sure Tevesh Szat started the Ice Age (which is turn the reason the Fallen Empires, well, fell).

The background for that was just that his sister, mercenary Tymolin Longlade fell while helping the dwarves* fight the goblins. Planeswalker Tevelin Longlade went mad, transformed himself into a tentacled monstrousity, changed his name, then punished all of dominaria for losing his sister. Given that he acted like some sort of zen-enlightened druid before that, it's a pretty hokey origin.

As for stating him out, epic character with 20 wizard levels, plus some sort of otherwise irrelevant template like psuedonatural or half-illithid; maybe even a wizard 20 (not counting epic levels) with abberant or vile feats. Then again Isn't there some sort of 9th level spell that transforms you permanently into an outsider?

*how the heck is "dwarfs" in firefox's spellchecker, but "dwarves" isn't?

Jayabalard
2007-12-17, 03:11 PM
*how the heck is "dwarfs" in firefox's spellchecker, but "dwarves" isn't?why wouldn't it be? it's the more common (http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=dwarves&word2=dwarfs) and older spelling.

Lady Tialait
2007-12-17, 03:13 PM
Urza, The Artificer: Diviner with necromancy barred, specialized in Item Creation. Methinks Diviner 7 + Effigy Master 4 + Loremaster 1.

I'll go with that

Jaya Ballard, Task Mage: She really likes fire, but she's a mercenary so she's social too. I think Spellthief at first level, and Sorceror 7 levels to meet the requirements for Elemental Savant (fire.) I think 3 levels, for Energy Penetration.

Very Nice, I like.

Mishra, Brother of Urza: He had no facilities with magic whatsoever, so either Artificer or a UMD rogue. Perhaps dabbling in Warlock at later levels for Craft Feats.

Very Nice, I would agree with that.

Lim-Dul, Necromancer: Dread Necromancer, enough said.

The 'turning into a lich' thing doesn't fit Lim-Dul. if I rmemeber He didn't Lich ever

Mageta, The Lion: An obscure human commander from Prophecies who never came back up. I'd say Mid-Level Cleavage Fighter with Leadership and notable Charisma.

um....Cleavage...that would be Jeska...but..erm...i'll go..okay

Karn, Silver Golem: Effigy of a strong human warrior, pretty much.

no....sorry I see Karn as so much more the an effigy.

I'm pretty sure Tevesh Szat started the Ice Age (which is turn the reason the Fallen Empires, well, fell).

Well, he did, but also around the same time that happened if i rmeember my Dominaria Urza killed ihs brother and assended to god-like status.

Planeswalkers: Apply the Paragon Template and 20 levels of the character's spellcasting class of choice. If they have none, Sorceror. Also, let them planeshift at will.

New Planeswalkers: Planeshift at will, nothing else.

Yawgmoth: Epic Paragon Pseudonatural Warlock/Dread Necro Gestalt.

Phyrexian Shock Troops: Homebrewed Human Zombie Effigies. The bloodstock are originally centaurs, the scuta damn crabs.

I'll agree with planeswalkers, and especally the new planeswalkers...wusses

Yawgmoth I would give a little more then that..but that is close

Phyrexian Shock Troopers I would make a Template, and put it on humans, dragons, centaurs, crabs....whatever...

MammonAzrael
2007-12-17, 04:46 PM
It's helpful if you nail down when in a character's life you're making this. Some have spanned from lv 1 to Planeswalker.

You guys have already most of them better than I could (since I don't have great class knowledge) but I wanted to toss in a few things.

1. Lim-Dul (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lim-D%C3%BBl) was a warrior originally, and should have one or more lvs in Fighter. He became a Necromancer when he was possessed by Marisil the Pretender. I don't know it there is anything to reflect that, but Marisil possessed he by way of a cursed ring.

2. For Planeswalkers,at least the old ones, apply the powers of a Greater God. Maybe something better. Remember, They ARE the gods of the M:TG universe.

3. *potential spoiler for those who haven't read the INV/PLS/APC series*
Yawgmoth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yawgmoth)is not a Planeswalker. Just a crazy, powerful ex-Thran.

4. Mageta, the Lion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lim-D%C3%BBl): His card is a allows you to discard cards and Wrath of God the board(except for him). eidt: Can that be worked into his character? I don't know the flavor, since I never read the Prophecy book.

5. The highest level non-planeswalker characters I can think of in the M:tG universe, including PW before their ascent, would be: Yawgmoth (whom we have enough info to probably stat out) and Jodah, the Arch-Mage Eternal.

I wouldn't think that most, if any Planeswalkers hit higher than lv 10 before ascending.

Ganurath
2007-12-17, 11:56 PM
It's helpful if you nail down when in a character's life you're making this. Some have spanned from lv 1 to Planeswalker.

You guys have already most of them better than I could (since I don't have great class knowledge) but I wanted to toss in a few things.

1. Lim-Dul (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lim-D%C3%BBl) was a warrior originally, and should have one or more lvs in Fighter. He became a Necromancer when he was possessed by Marisil the Pretender. I don't know it there is anything to reflect that, but Marisil possessed he by way of a cursed ring.

2. For Planeswalkers,at least the old ones, apply the powers of a Greater God. Maybe something better. Remember, They ARE the gods of the M:TG universe.

3. *potential spoiler for those who haven't read the INV/PLS/APC series*
Yawgmoth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yawgmoth)is not a Planeswalker. Just a crazy, powerful ex-Thran.

4. Mageta, the Lion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lim-D%C3%BBl): His card is a allows you to discard cards and Wrath of God the board(except for him). eidt: Can that be worked into his character? I don't know the flavor, since I never read the Prophecy book.

5. The highest level non-planeswalker characters I can think of in the M:tG universe, including PW before their ascent, would be: Yawgmoth (whom we have enough info to probably stat out) and Jodah, the Arch-Mage Eternal.

I wouldn't think that most, if any Planeswalkers hit higher than lv 10 before ascending.1. So, Lim-Dul is a Fighter, and he has an intelligent ring with a ridiculous ego score? Oddly, it makes sense.
2. Actually, you're thinking of Gaea, Yawgmoth, and Karona. Oh, almost forgot O-Kagachi and Kuberr. Planeswalkers are just Mages Of Insane Natural Talent, or MOINT. The rest are actual deities, since they were worshipped without being sparky.
3. Upon reading the spoilerish link, I'd actually say that Yawgy is an epic-level Geomancer who started as a Cleric/Necromancer, if that makes sense.
4. Like I said, Cleavage Fighter. To clarify, he uses the Cleave chain of feats to cut swaths through the opposition. However, upon reading about him in further detail, I'd say he'd be more appropriate as a Marshal. Apparently he used his armor to inspire troops.
5. Jodah was a subpar illusionist who had necromancy and evocation barred, mid level at best, and drank a magic potion that stopped him from aging.

Talic
2007-12-18, 06:34 AM
Karn = Warforged with Fighter levels, a defensive PrC, and a Vow of Nonviolence (BED).

TheElfLord
2007-12-18, 05:45 PM
your saying no Socail skills...so no ranks in Dioplomacy..I don't see him as 19 cha...Minimum for a good Sorc.

I see Intelligence...maybe a 14 cha

Mishra on the other and I see with loads of Cha, loads and Loads.

He doesn't have to be a good sorcerer, I said a level of sorcerer at the end, to represent his aceptence of arcane magic and the ability to cast spells. Though you could represent the Stylix blast as activating an artifact with Use Magical device.

And Urza did start the Ice Age with the Stylex blast at the end of the Brothers War/Antiquities period.

Laurellien
2007-12-18, 05:50 PM
I think that the transition to Planeswalker makes one more than a mere player character. I would personally represent planeswalkers as outsiders with special abilities, kinda like an archfiend or celestial paragon.

Lady Tialait
2007-12-18, 05:55 PM
I still see planeswalker as an aquried template that you have to have a inherited template to get

Lim-Dul being a fighter with a highly ego ring..that'll work i guess

Megata as a Marshal is perfect.thumbs up

as for "Jodah was a subpar illusionist who had necromancy and evocation barred, mid level at best, and drank a magic potion that stopped him from aging." i'd almost agree, exect the fact umm...'e got better...

but to stat him out i'd say a non-optimized Illusionist.