PDA

View Full Version : A fav soul//knight, build advice please.

Kizara
2007-12-16, 11:29 PM
Setting and Backstory:

Imagine medieval Europe, and many feudal lords and their knights jockeying for favor, territory and prestidge.

Power lies in the strength of one's knights, land and reasources are gained by conquering castles and other assets. The Gods only lightly touch the land, and wizards are rare and feared. A man's is often weighed by the strength of his swordarm or the shot of his bow.

Although monsters roam the land, their numbers are small. Of the savage races, only orcs, goblins and hobgoblins cause much difficulty to the human lords. Elves and dwarves mainly mind their own affairs, although they trade with the humans heavily.

(I dont know/care if this is 100% historically accurate, I know that there WAS a time similar to this though)

My character, Jason Lightstrider, was born into this world. Heir to a small Baroncy, his father re-married and his new wife's son is older then him. According to the inheritance laws of the land, that means Jason is now merely a knight of the land, and has only his current title to lay claim to.

This suits him fine, and he intends to go out into a world that favors the strong, reasourceful and bold and make a name for himself.

What I want in character ability:
-A strong leader.
-A knight, chivilrous and brave.
-A melee powerhouse.
-Some degree of resourcefullness and versitility.

Rules of the game:

ToB, Cscoun, Ccamp, and Scp are not being used. Books such as Libris Motris and the like are used sparingly. Mainly core + phb2, Cdiv arc adv and war are used.

MANY houserules, too many to list, but the important stuff is that magic is nerfed fairly heavily. Many cheesy "I win" spells are hit hard, and Divine Metamagic is banned; Divine Power and Righteous Might have 1-round casting times.

Also, favored soul changes:

-Gain Deity’s Weapon Focus at 1st-level and Deity’s Weapon Specialization at 6th-level (instead of as listed)
-Lose Reflex good saves.
-Gain Wings at 11th-level instead of 17th.
-Lose Elemental Resistances.
-Gain DR 5 at level 10, DR 10 at level 15, and DR 15 at level 20. DR is to Good or Evil.
-Gain the appropriate cure or inflict spell (depending on alignment) each level for free as a Spell Known, including mass versions.
-Gain Heavy Armor Proficiency.
-Gain Turn or Rebuke Undead at level 1
-At level 6 gain the Luck Domain’s granted power (but not its spells).
-Casting is based off of Charisma in all respects.

Solo campaign, so no other PCs.

Stats: 18, 14, 16, 16, 13, 18. Gestalt.

My current build:

Side 1:
Knight 2/ftr 1/knight 4/ftr 1/cavalier 4/pal 2/cav 6
Side 2:
Favored soul 12/contemplative 1/fav soul 7

Feats:

1 Power attack, Improved Init.
3 Ride-By attack, ftr: Wpn focus (lance)
5 Knt: Spirited Charge
6 Leadership
8 ftr: Trample
9 Cavalry Charger
12 Divine Might
15 Quicken Spell (houserule allows normal use as spontaneous caster)
18 ?

Spell selection:

Detect Evil, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Blade of Blood, Remove Fear, Entropic Shield
CLW

Divine Favor, Hold Person, Resist Energy, Sound Burst, Calm Emotions, Zone of Truth
CMW

Crown of Smiting, Dispel Magic, Prayer, Bestow Curse, Wrack, Greater Magic Weapon
CSW

Divine Power, Freedom of Movement, Dimensional Anchor, Death Ward, Restoration, Magic Vestment
CCW

Break Enchantment, Flame Strike, Righteous Might, True Seeing, Disrupting Weapon,
CLW, Mass

Heal, Harm, Find the Path, Blade Barrier,
CMW, Mass

Destruction, Repulsion, Holy Word, Mass Spell Resistance, Summon Monster VII,
CSW, Mass

Fire Storm, Antimagic Field, Greater Spell Immunity, Discern Location,
CCW, Mass

Gate, Miracle, Storm of Vengeance

So, what do people think? Good build? Am I making any silly mistakes? Should I make any different spell choices?
What do you reccomend for my 18th-level feat?

Kizara
2007-12-17, 03:53 PM
Anyone?

I know there's some houserules, but I thought this was a really interesting campaign concept and that people would be more, well, interested.

Draz74
2007-12-17, 04:25 PM
Pretty good. Knight//Favored Soul is a good Gestalt combination with a lot of synergy.

It is hard to know what to say with a lot of houserules in place ... I take it Divine Favor as a 2nd level spell is a houserule?

The Knight has enough effects based on his class level that I, personally, would probably resist the temptation to dip Fighter levels and go into Cavalier. I'd just do straight Knight 20. But there are pros and cons either way.

For your 18th level feat ... perhaps some battlefield control ability? Combat Reflexes, perhaps? (After all, by that level, your Dex will probably be at least 18.)

Kizara
2007-12-17, 04:41 PM
Pretty good. Knight//Favored Soul is a good Gestalt combination with a lot of synergy.

It is hard to know what to say with a lot of houserules in place ... I take it Divine Favor as a 2nd level spell is a houserule?

The Knight has enough effects based on his class level that I, personally, would probably resist the temptation to dip Fighter levels and go into Cavalier. I'd just do straight Knight 20. But there are pros and cons either way.

For your 18th level feat ... perhaps some battlefield control ability? Combat Reflexes, perhaps? (After all, by that level, your Dex will probably be at least 18.)

1) Thanks.

2) Yes, I could actually post ALL my houserules, I have them in a word doc, but that would derail the thread. Aside from what I've said, there aren't many other changes to divine spellcasting.

3) I considered that, but the higher-level knight abilities (aside from loyal beyond death) aren't that stellar, and I wanted to make my mounted combat style useful.

4) While my dex would be high enough, at 18th level I have spells for battlefield control. Also, I have no other feats or abilities that really synergize with combat reflexes. So, while not unusable, just doesn't seem to accomplish much.

Thanks for the imput anyways.

Person_Man
2007-12-17, 04:47 PM
Its hard to give advice when there are so many house rules.

Also, its unclear how you can be a strong leader while playing in a campaign by yourself.

Some general advice:

Knights make excellent mounted builds. I'm particularly fond of Strongheart Halfling Knights.

All of your cool Knight powers are tied to your Knight levels. So they are a poor choice for multi-classing and prestige classing. So I would suggest just going Knight 20, or going Ranger 1/Fighter 2/Paladin 5/Cavalier 10/PrC 2, or Paladin 5/Beastmaster 1/Halfling Outrider 10/PrC 4 for a classic supermount build.

Draz74
2007-12-17, 04:55 PM
3) I considered that, but the higher-level knight abilities (aside from loyal beyond death) aren't that stellar, and I wanted to make my mounted combat style useful.

The DC's to save vs. your Knight's Challenge abilities, though ...

4) While my dex would be high enough, at 18th level I have spells for battlefield control. Also, I have no other feats or abilities that really synergize with combat reflexes. So, while not unusable, just doesn't seem to accomplish much.

Yeah, this wasn't the best suggestion, but I couldn't think of anything better. :smallfrown:

Kizara
2007-12-17, 05:02 PM
Its hard to give advice when there are so many house rules.

Also, its unclear how you can be a strong leader while playing in a campaign by yourself.

Some general advice:

Knights make excellent mounted builds. I'm particularly fond of Strongheart Halfling Knights.

All of your cool Knight powers are tied to your Knight levels. So they are a poor choice for multi-classing and prestige classing. So I would suggest just going Knight 20, or going Ranger 1/Fighter 2/Paladin 5/Cavalier 10/PrC 2, or Paladin 5/Beastmaster 1/Halfling Outrider 10/PrC 4 for a classic supermount build.

1) As for the leader issue, well IMO it's actually more practical to be a leader of NPCs then of PCs anyways, since in my experience noone is interested in being led, regardless if you are good at it and they are unorganized and ineffective on their own.

2) Aside from the sparse bonus feats, free mounted combat and good bab/hd, and flavor, how are knights great for mounted builds? I would think going a bunch of fighter would be better.

3) Your first build is good, as would your second one be if I was interested in playing a halfling. I don't think I can completely divorce myself from my knight levels, as they are kinda critical to my character's background. I honestly was going to go paladin first, but my DM didn't want me to.