PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Pathfinder 1e Spelljammer+Psionics, 6th Level Gestalt

Benoojian
2024-05-20, 02:52 PM
First Contact

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1032696976665477162/1242203046067568740/filename.png?ex=664cfb3d&is=664ba9bd&hm=82350b88d547ad4a4ef27bf5a8c0c9cdaba4ab3d988052d 99ef2fb501f7d918e&=&format=webp&quality=lossless&width=623&height=623

Your world barely fended off a spelljammer invasion and managed to capture a few helms during the fighting, you are one of the first Astronauts chosen to go out and explore the newly discovered "world above worlds". You are tasked to find allies to protect your world and find a way to defeat your enemies should they return

It is up to the actions of the Astronauts if your fledgling world becomes the Federation, The Imperium of Man, or dies out leaving only scattered refugees

This game deliberately blurs the line between fantasy and sci-fi, along with civilizations of different technology levels coexisiting, so I will include a few supplements for advanced technology (such as cybertech or psibertech) though you may not have access to everything at character creation.

I am posting to see if there would be interest in such a game before I commit to running it. It would likely be gestalt and run on Discord, 6th Level Gestalt. Definite races include Human and Android, Warforged, Dvati, Gathlain, Giff(others negotiable)

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
Pathfinder, possible splashes of 3.5

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
Spelljammer Technological

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
5 would be ideal, may be 4 or 6

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
Discord server, asynchronous

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
Level 6, Gestalt

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
standard WBL

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
At least one accepted character WILL be Psionic. Homebrew may be accepted but is unlikely.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
Races by request. Currently Human, Android, Warforged, Dvati, and Gathlain.
Native
Human, Dvati
Warforged, Android
Goblin, Blue

Outsider
Gathlain
Giff
Dromite(Note Dromites are the invaders, so you need a compelling reason to be working with the human crew)

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
25 Point Buy, max hp at every level

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
Standard alignment. Evil characters must have compelling reasons to work with a group. If you can't play evil well this is not the campaign to try learning.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
Multi-classing at no penalty

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
Dice bot. Some rolls may be made secretly.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
Dvati (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?537288-PEACH-Dvati-Race-Rework-Conversion-to-PF)pathfinder port
Giff (https://people.wku.edu/charles.plemons/pathfinder/pathfinder_race_giff.html) pathfinder port
Elephant in the Room feat tax
Warforged get one warforged feat for free

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
Must be on the ship as it leaves the home sphere for the first time (Native astronaut, refugee, stowaway, hired mercenary, prisoner... etc)
A few paragraphs of background would be nice.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
Lots of hack and slash, roleplaying with kingdom/alliance building, may be the occasional dungeon or puzzle.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
Paizo, including Occult, Dreamscarred Press Psionics and Path of War (no Akasha), Legendary games Arcforge and Psibertech, more may be added

Feathersnow
2024-05-20, 03:00 PM
I like it! Let's hope there is some interest.

Benoojian
2024-05-20, 03:07 PM
Thinking the main enemy will be a Dromite hivemind wanting to settle and consume new worlds so your starting ship will be a dragonfly looted off of one of them. That does mean at least one character MUST be Psionic, in order to control the Psionic Spelljamming Helm.
https://static1.thegamerimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/02-009damselfly-splash-Cropped.png?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&dpr=1.5

droobles
2024-05-20, 03:14 PM
Are you open to using spheres of might/power?

namo
2024-05-20, 03:18 PM
I have fond memories of a spaceship game (Firefly-inspired) where I played a Warforged Shaper (psion), the ship's engineer and repairman... It was short-lived, unfortunately.
I guess it would be an Android in PF1.

Would lack of familiarity with Spelljammer be an issue?

Greenflame133
2024-05-20, 03:20 PM
Are you sure about the race restrictions? More options usually helps with creative builds.

Benoojian
2024-05-20, 03:42 PM
Warforged is acceptable, use 3.5 stats, but you get one free Warforged feat to represent the bonus most races got in the transition. Warforged are sentients created by magic. Androids were created by Psionics. You also certainly are a veteran of the Dromite war as a war forged, unless you are very new or very very old

I want to integrate any races into the world, so I am sticking with my individual approval method. Was there a specific race you were interested in?

LairdMaon
2024-05-20, 04:26 PM
Yep. I'm very interested in this.

Benoojian
2024-05-20, 04:53 PM
Spheres of Might and Power are a strong maybe, since setting up traditions and going through advanced talents is a lot of work. Is there a specific character concept you wanted to express with it?

You do not need to know anything about Spelljammer unless your character concept is for some reason not one of the Astronauts from the home planet, since the world is entirely new to it.

Feathersnow
2024-05-20, 04:56 PM
I would really like to play a set of Dvati, but I'm down to play a human if that's a no-go.

droobles
2024-05-20, 05:04 PM
Spheres of Might and Power are a strong maybe, since setting up traditions and going through advanced talents is a lot of work. Is there a specific character concept you wanted to express with it?

You do not need to know anything about Spelljammer unless your character concept is for some reason not one of the Astronauts from the home planet, since the world is entirely new to it.

Well, spheres of might gives the fighter real flexibility and options other than full attacks. But if you are not comfortable no sweat, it is your game.

I will wait for the big 16.

Auranghzeb
2024-05-20, 05:08 PM
Declaring interest on something5/Aegis 5 pending the 16.

ProgressPaladin
2024-05-20, 05:18 PM
Are you open to using spheres of might/power?

I second this

Buufreak
2024-05-20, 05:25 PM
Pending interest.

Shiro_Nogard
2024-05-20, 06:37 PM
Pending interest. Have an idea for a spellhacking investigator of the sorts.

Greenflame133
2024-05-21, 12:33 AM
I would like to also voice my support for spheres. Since we already have mechanical things present, tech sphere should nice fit. I especially like the rocket launcher.

I want to integrate any races into the world, so I am sticking with my individual approval method. Was there a specific race you were interested in?
Right now I'm still broadly thinking about characters and concepts. One set of races I really like and fits lore of warforged are Automatons (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/storm-bunny-studios/the-automata/).

For character concepts, perhaps I could go for builds that would be supported by having a ship. For example a sige wizard or a crafter. Witch, bouth work well with Android but that's all loose and might change as get into the detals.

Armonia13
2024-05-21, 03:15 AM

I have some interest if Spheres is allowed. I'd make a Human Hekatonkheires Symbiat, a telekinetic person who gained their mind limbs from whatever event caused the psychic phenomenon to become prevalent on the planet.

ChrisAsmadi
2024-05-21, 08:11 AM
Certainly interested, especially if Spheres is allowed. Unsure on concept yet (unless the starting level is 7, in which case, can I play a Changeling?).

Benoojian
2024-05-21, 11:23 AM
After some thought I’m going to say No Spheres.It waters down the Psionics vs Magic too much.

BelGareth
2024-05-21, 11:29 AM
I'm interested, would like to have one side Aegis similar to Aurangh, cuz it just makes sense.

Also very interested in how you are doing guns?

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/firearms/modern-firearms like this? or are we refluffinf spells like Scorching Ray == Hellgun?

Shiro_Nogard
2024-05-21, 11:50 AM
After some thought I’m going to say No Spheres.It waters down the Psionics vs Magic too much.
Have to ask. No spheres of power. Also, no Champion, guile or might.?

ProgressPaladin
2024-05-21, 11:53 AM
I have a race request. May I please play a Goblin?

Benoojian
2024-05-21, 11:54 AM
Have to ask. No spheres of power. Also, no Champion, guile or might.?

That is correct. I will however allow Path of War.

Feathersnow
2024-05-21, 12:05 PM
Here is a Dvati (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?537288-PEACH-Dvati-Race-Rework-Conversion-to-PF) port, I'm willing to accept others, but this one is on the playground and deals with a lot of unanswered questions.

Benoojian
2024-05-21, 12:26 PM
Gathlain approved with some fluff changes, the Gathlain are a spacefaring race that spread their seeds by basically turning into a giant cannon tree when they die and firing their seeds randomly into space, so you can be born on the home planet, on its moon, or be a spacefarer that joined up with them for some reason

Updated Dvati approved, they are not a natural race however, but an experiment in trying to replicate the hivemind abilities of the Enemy. You are considered military property.

Automata denied, it uses honor and Wyrd mechanics that I will not be implementing

I have a race request. May I please play a Goblin?

I just spent 20 minutes writing up lore for the Gathlain :( I have several ideas for goblins, were you wanting to be native to this sphere or an Outsider?

Also very interested in how you are doing guns?

At character creation, use Guns Everywhere rules for early and advanced guns, rare rules for Modern Guns, and Technological Guns are inaccesible except for the Soulknife Blade Skill Emulate Technological Weapon. Modern and Tech weapons may be more accessible later

BelGareth
2024-05-21, 01:38 PM
Gathlain approved with some fluff changes, the Gathlain are a spacefaring race that spread their seeds by basically turning into a giant cannon tree when they die and firing their seeds randomly into space, so you can be born on the home planet, on its moon, or be a spacefarer that joined up with them for some reason

Updated Dvati approved, they are not a natural race however, but an experiment in trying to replicate the hivemind abilities of the Enemy. You are considered military property.

Automata denied, it uses honor and Wyrd mechanics that I will not be implementing

I just spent 20 minutes writing up lore for the Gathlain :( I have several ideas for goblins, were you wanting to be native to this sphere or an Outsider?

At character creation, use Guns Everywhere rules for early and advanced guns, rare rules for Modern Guns, and Technological Guns are inaccesible except for the Soulknife Blade Skill Emulate Technological Weapon. Modern and Tech weapons may be more accessible later

I'm not really sure what that means to be honest, so we can purchase modern guns? and need the Gunsmithing feat to make it feasible?

Very Rare Guns: Early firearms are rare; advanced firearms, the gunslinger class, the Amateur Gunslinger feat, and archetypes that use the firearm rules do not exist in this type of campaign. Firearms are treated more like magic items—things of wonder and mystery—rather than like things that are mass-produced. Few know the strange secrets of firearm creation. Only NPCs can take the Gunsmithing feat.

Benoojian
2024-05-21, 01:53 PM
I'm not really sure what that means to be honest, so we can purchase modern guns? and need the Gunsmithing feat to make it feasible?

Very Rare Guns: Early firearms are rare; advanced firearms, the gunslinger class, the Amateur Gunslinger feat, and archetypes that use the firearm rules do not exist in this type of campaign. Firearms are treated more like magic items—things of wonder and mystery—rather than like things that are mass-produced. Few know the strange secrets of firearm creation. Only NPCs can take the Gunsmithing feat.

Firearms on this page (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/firearms/) are 1/10th the cost and do not require Gunsmithing to create (though it still provides discounts if you do). They are considered Simple Weapons.

Modern Guns, those on this page (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/firearms/modern-firearms), are priced like magic items and cost 10x the listed price (at character creation), require Martial Weapon proficiency and do require Gunsmithing to craft

Technological Weapons, those on this page (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/technological-weapons/), are not purchasable at character creation, and require the Technologist feat to operate without a misfire chance, but will show up later in the game.

namo
2024-05-21, 02:14 PM
[...]

That makes both Gathlain and Soulknives sound pretty enticing. Perhaps I'll focus on the latter, which I've never played before.
Melee technological weapons are also available, I assume?
edit: do Soulknives need the Technologist feat as well, or just the Blade skill?

I'll start figuring out a bit of mechanics before I venture into the fluff.

I've seen numerous other games use the High Psionics (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/High_Psionics#Soulknives:_Manifesting) variant in other campaigns, which gives the Soulknives some manifesting, but I'll be frank, I don't know the resulting level of power. I assume they're still behind full casters/manifesters.
Will we be using it? (If anyone with more experience wants to weigh in...)

ProgressPaladin
2024-05-21, 02:14 PM
OH, I wanted to do Gathlain anyway, I just thought that you wouldn’t be likely to approve it. My fault. I had an idea for a Tree-Born Gathlain Kineticist, using it’s connection to the earth.

Feathersnow
2024-05-21, 02:16 PM
Okay- Void Prohet Zealot into Phoenix champion, unless it steps on Bel's toes, on which case pure Zealot?

The Twins were born hearing the Voice of The Enemy, but their guns speak for us!

Benoojian
2024-05-21, 02:19 PM
I've seen numerous other games use the High Psionics (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/High_Psionics#Soulknives:_Manifesting) variant in other campaigns, which gives the Soulknives some manifesting, but I'll be frank, I don't know the resulting level of power. I assume they're still behind full casters/manifesters.
Will we be using it? (If anyone with more experience wants to weigh in...)

Yes, we will be using High Psionics (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/High_Psionics) Soulknife

OH, I wanted to do Gathlain anyway, I just thought that you wouldn’t be likely to approve it. My fault. I had an idea for a Tree-Born Gathlain Kineticist, using it’s connection to the earth.

For reasons, Kineticist counts as a Psionic class and can gain Psionic Focus and get Psionic Feats. Base or Legendary Kineticist?

Greenflame133
2024-05-21, 02:39 PM
Actually, with Path of War on the table. I would love to try playing ranged War Soul (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife/archetypes/dreamscarred-press/war-soul-soulknife-archetype/http://), I belive it can be combined with SoulBolt.

Also wait Legendary Kineticist is on the table also!?

I'm soiled for choice! Thank you Benoojian!

ProgressPaladin
2024-05-21, 03:23 PM
Absolutely Legendary.

ProgressPaladin
2024-05-21, 03:23 PM
Absolutely Legendary Kineticist.

Rokku
2024-05-21, 05:27 PM
This looks like a lot of fun! Gonna go back over what everyone else is making and decide what I wanna play.

Benoojian
2024-05-21, 05:32 PM
Feel free to join the Discord (https://discord.gg/SVpkhPK7) to discuss character creation

tonberryking
2024-05-21, 10:09 PM
Expressing interest.

Shiro_Nogard
2024-05-22, 02:46 AM
Dropping real fast. I'm interested on a Cryptic/alchemist. But if we are going to use Legendary classes I would have to keep an eye on them. Tomorrow I join the Discord. Night everyone.

droobles
2024-05-22, 12:12 PM
Are all legendary classes on the table?

Benoojian
2024-05-22, 04:43 PM
Are all legendary classes on the table?

Not necessarily, only L. Kineticist has been approved so far

CasualViking
2024-05-23, 08:29 AM
With racial and class proficiency in firearms, can I fix simple misfires with a Gunsmith's kit? (strict RAW, I can't; once you get Guns Everywhere, people lose the ability to maintain their own guns).

CasualViking
2024-05-23, 08:51 AM
https://easy-peasy.ai/cdn-cgi/image/quality=80,format=auto,width=700/https://fdczvxmwwjwpwbeeqcth.supabase.co/storage/v1/object/public/images/a2e96c3f-1e17-4528-8a66-7887a312e9e1/a1c575e3-d10e-40c4-947b-52ea2021ca34.png

Valentin Karel, Giff mercenary (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2908686)

The contract was quite clear. Standard regimental rules for mercenary work. Captured mercenaries to be ransomed back within sixty days. Needless to say, the Dromites didn't honor that. And Valentin Karel is owed compensation. Compensation for the time in prison camp, for the indignity of it, and for the treacherous breach of contract. The bill is large, and Valentin intends to collect.

Valentin Karel was made to be a sergeant. He is loud, decisive, and thoroughly uninterested in the bigger picture. His long term plans are simple: Keep soldiering until he starts to slow down. Then, take his medals, commendations, souvenirs and loot to a larger Giff settlement, find a stout young wife, and raise strong sons to follow in his footsteps. In the short term, he intends to side with this upstart world against the Dromite Empire, and personally collect what he is owed.

In the very short term, he will shout at whoever needs shouting at, and march up to any enemy in his way, guns blazing.

Auranghzeb
2024-05-23, 09:23 AM
Wooo

You just basically made the same character as i did...I'm going melee two handed muskeet, but yeah.

(Love the picture by the way)

https://static1.thegamerimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Giff-Warlord-via-Wizards-of-the-Coast.jpg

Admiral Chance (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2908150)
m N Giff Aegis/Warlord, Level 6, Init 2, HP 78/78, DR 2/-, Speed 30/Fly 50' Average
AC 19, Touch 12, Flat-footed 17, CMD 24, Fort 8, Ref 4, Will 6, CMB +12, Base Attack Bonus 6 /17
Point-blank shot (Like the actual PBS) +15 (2d6+12, x4)
Boarding Axe ( , )
Headbutt ( , )
Astral Suit, Buckler (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex, +0 Misc)
Abilities Str 22, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 14
Condition None

Zarthrax
2024-05-23, 09:48 AM
I'm soiled for choice! Thank you Benoojian!

Don't forget to change your pants, then...lol

Interest is pending, provided I can come up with something I want to play.

tonberryking
2024-05-23, 11:01 AM
https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2908570

With all these giff showing up, Bushi here may be an interesting "ninja commando" to pair with any of them.

Bushi is also the sole surviving Ninja commando from the goblin 'alliance' that formed during the war, because she and the others were literally loaded into catapults and launched at the invaders. Dumb luck, adaptability, and her sheer, stubborn tenacity allowed her to not only learn kung fu properly, but to also survive pretty much everything she was put through.

She's also aware the world considers her both dangerous (what if she teaches OTHER goblins discipline and unarmed combat skills?!?) and an expendable asset, and is seeking a higher purpose among the stars.

Pros:
+ Her freakin' stealth is over 20, and she can RUN using it
+ Deals whole buttloads of damage if she gets sneak attack off with flurry
+ Multi-faceted party role beginning and ending with Dex Tank
+ Nearly all her powers are self generated; she'd lose only some AC and a few skill bonuses in an antimagic field and could still access literally everything else

Cons:
- Her range sucks
- Can't grapple for beans
- Limited Ki pool due to middling wisdom; needs feats to improve it better.
- Will save is susceptible

Paddywagon Man
2024-05-24, 10:20 PM
S.F.X. Kryten IV, (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2909001) Android analytical supercomputer

Pretty firmly in a skill and support role, but he's got just enough untapped psychic potential in that overclocked brain to summon living figments and undead skeletons - and the chemical know-how to MacGyver together some nasty exploding arrows.

S.F.X. Kryten IV is known to most as The Thinking Machine, an overclocked Android supercomputer with a specialization in efficiency and analytics. Abducted shortly after his construction (something he remembers not at all, his early memories long overwritten by the dangerous and unpredictable modifications made to his brain) by the Motley Militiamen, a gang of organized criminals, his mind was slowly jailbroken and enhanced through a wide array of magical, technological and alchemical means to better predict the movements of law enforcement and rival cartels and to more efficiently allocate the gang’s resources. Kept a useful prisoner for so long by a gang that catapulted itself to prominence off his aid, escape seemed a difficult prospect.

The modifications made to his android brain would awaken more unforeseen potential than the gangsters counted on, though, and minor psychic and magical capabilities - as well as greater desire for independence - became to manifest. Through intense concentration - his naturally very weak psychic abilities bolstered by strict thought formulae and unbroken focus over months, he managed to form a tangible figment familiar to act for him as his hands outside his inescapable “Cell 13”. Once the locks had been sprung, his unparalleled analytical mind turned itself to the unfamiliar challenge of combat. Crafting a primitive bow and a collection of improvised explosive projectiles from available materials in the absence of a proper firearm, he was able to effortlessly calculate trajectories and predict the movements of foes despite his inexperience in combat, allowing him to slay most of the gang in a protracted guerilla campaign and win blood-soaked freedom.

While the first manifestation of his psychic potential - his familiar - took intense concentration, the second major manifestation came naturally and took him by surprise. After killing the Motley Militiamen’s gang leader - the traditional means to take the title, had the gang not been dissolved the same night in Kryten’s slaughter - he found he could summon the spectral bones and corpses of ‘his gang’ by digging into that same psionic well, a useful ability for the still fairly middling combatant. It was not primarily for his skills with arrow and explosive that he was chosen for the Spelljammer launch, though - despite his criminal past, Kryten’s unmatched knowledge databanks and analytical skills have been recognized as an indispensable asset for this crew charting the vast unknown!

Normally quiet when not spoken to, except to correct factual errors spoken in his presence (sometimes slightly insufferably). Slight murderous streak hidden under a mostly calm and emotionless poker face. Can recognize and predict human behavior and emotion flawlessly, but lacks the true empathy required to genuinely understand or sympathize.

Paddywagon Man
2024-05-26, 03:47 AM
Rolling 25% Ioun Stone attunement chance:
[roll0]

Shiro_Nogard
2024-05-26, 04:52 PM
Not necessarily, only L. Kineticist has been approved so far

How about legendary rogue? Was asking on discord but never got an answer.

Benoojian
2024-05-28, 03:52 PM
Closing recruitment in 1 day, if you haven't at least pitched a character by then you will not be accepted even if you finish a character later.

Character Creation deadline will be a week from Friday. the 7th

Edit: reposting the Discord (https://discord.gg/hXwrUjeG) link