PDA

View Full Version : Star Control 2

Fri
2007-12-17, 06:08 AM
Anybody played this game?

I loved the old starflight game, and I remembered that this game is one of gamespot's best game ever made, so I try it. Of course, it's awesome. It really is!

But one thing bothers me.

The game speed. In battle, ships blazing and maneuvering in almost impossible speed for me. Is it just me being pathetic, or I had to slow down my computer speed (with emulator of course).

Same thing with mining. Obstacles and creatures moving almost randomly in such speed.

So, my question. Anybody know the original speed of this game? I mean, with Dos Box, how many times I had to push the "slow down computer cycle" button? Or.... It's just me that can't follow this game's speed? I also kinda suspected that...

Cubey
2007-12-17, 06:27 AM
I suggest downloading the Ur-Quan Masters - a freeware remake, published by the same guys that did the original game. It has slightly improved graphics and is 100% compatible with the newest operating systems and hardware.

Fri
2007-12-17, 06:34 AM
aah thanks. Mission accomplished, but I guess we can talk about this game here if anybody interested :smallbiggrin:

Ominous
2007-12-17, 12:49 PM
The Ur-quan are possibly the greatest video game villains ever created. They're not just the one dimensional "We're evil. DIE!" They actually have a reason for what they do and they fight one another over which doctrine is the best. It makes them feel much more realistic than the average over-the-top video game villain.

Krytha
2007-12-17, 01:23 PM
SC2 is brilliant and HARD. Ship to ship combat is a cinch, but you're dealing with a huge galaxy and looking for tiny objects in a set amount of time. Great game though. I loved SC1 too (its campaign mode was much easier than SC2s)

Tekraen
2007-12-17, 02:20 PM
The greatest starship captain's quote ever:

"I wonder how you would taste, fried in butter." -Player to Mycon Podship

Grey, Darling
2007-12-17, 02:22 PM
huffi-muffi-guffi?

SC2 was epic.

kkortekaas
2007-12-17, 03:32 PM
Indeed it was, so many hours of my childhood wasted.

lin_fusan
2007-12-19, 02:29 PM
Also a favorite game of mine. I played the Ur-Quan Masters freeware a couple of years ago and realized I had never finished the game.

It would be teh awesome if someone modified the game to create multiple quests per species to give the game even more depth.

I think Starcon 2 wass the first thing that made me realize that games, sci-fi, and storytelling could be immersive and engaging, as well as not take itself too seriously.

Murongo
2007-12-19, 02:35 PM
I played both SC2 and SC3, never picked up 1. My favorite in 2 had to be the Ur-Quan, who were very, very cool and had a cool reason to fight. 3 Had Harika and Yorn though, those guys were awesome.

"No, I am Harika, HE is Yorn."
"What, the twinkie in your pocket?"

Artanis
2007-12-19, 02:42 PM
The Orz are awesome, and I'll never forget the quote, "we are here now, but almost not yet." But I especially love that they seem relatively innocent - if weird - at first glance, but if you actually look at what they're saying, and the way they're saying it, and figure out to the actual actions it corresponds with...it's really, really frickin' scary. Stuff like how they'll kill somebody, and then describe it as "playing" instead of cold-blooded murder (or stuff to that effect).

Also, Shofixti rule.

Edit:

I played SC3 as well, long before playing SC2 (and have never played SC1). It wasn't great - nowhere near as good as SC2 - but wasn't entirely terrible.