PDA

View Full Version : [Path of War] Bushi & Zweihander Sentinel Warder RAW Compatibility

BushiEnjoyer
2024-05-23, 12:18 PM
Hi,

I am looking to make a Bushi Warder in an upcoming game, and really want reach and Scarlet Throne. Zweihander Sentinel would be a great way to get this. I'll throw Ordained Defender in too, my character will be a "Sohei" in flavour, but that's straight forward.

My problem: it seems like their swaps do not overlap, and I can see multiple builds and discussions here featuring the combo, but... It seems like they are RAW not compatible.

I believe this because Bushi loses heavy armor proficiency and Zweihander Sentinel loses shields and tower shield proficiency. This doesn't overlap, but "weapons and armour proficiency" is iirc one feature. This would fall afoul of "none can replace or alter the same feature" despite that. Maybe there is some special ruling on class templates, maybe heavy armor proficiency can be counted as a separate subfeature. RAI it isn't giving away the same thing twice etc but RAW.

I would love to be wrong. I'm also aware of alternatives like Landsknect and Unorthodox Tradition and Ask My GM but seeing all the build here gave me hope for a RAW answer (that I'd like) first.

If anyone can help on this, thanks!

Dr_Dinosaur
2024-05-23, 03:40 PM
By strict RAW anything that touches proficiencies at all isn't compatible with anything else that does. Same for adding options to a class talent list or moving class skills around. You're seeing discussion of the combo because many people find this needlessly restrictive as long as the changes don't actually conflict.

BushiEnjoyer
2024-05-24, 08:51 AM
By strict RAW anything that touches proficiencies at all isn't compatible with anything else that does. Same for adding options to a class talent list or moving class skills around. You're seeing discussion of the combo because many people find this needlessly restrictive as long as the changes don't actually conflict.

Damn, was hoping I was missing something. I'll probably still be able to do it in my game if I ask. Thanks for answering.