PDA

View Full Version : My precious.. it gets closer...

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-17, 11:21 AM
So I pre-ordered Wizard's Presents: Races and Classes some time ago...

Now it seems that the prophecy has been fulfilled and the time of it's impending arrival draws nigh! This morning the Wayfarer's Guild reported the package as being in the next town over. My precious will be with me either today or tomorrow....

"Why did I order it?" you may ask. Because I like the sounds of 4e and want to see stuff about it with my own eyes, not just via interweb hearsay. Also, I want to start trying to get my group inspired for 4e. Many are reluctant, if not outright opposed. Then again, most of us that group were heartily opposed to 3e until we actually played it. :smallbiggrin:

I don't know that there is really any point in there. I suppose there should be...

Anyone else order R&C? Who has it? Who won't order it? Who wants to pick a fight? :smallbiggrin: I keed, I keed.

SoD
2007-12-17, 11:29 AM
Personally, I'm not wanting to change to 4e, but, from memory, my group that I'll return to in about six months, they want to convert. Fortunatly, until then, I'll remain 4e free. However, I am interested in hearing about your stuff that's on its way. At least that way I'll know what I'm opposing, eh?

TheLogman
2007-12-17, 11:30 AM
Races and classes isn't about 4th Edition to my knowledge. I was under the impression it was just about the creation and implementation of the most popular stuff so far. Mind Flayer, halflings, elves, from just previous installments, but maybe I misunderstood it.

SoD
2007-12-17, 11:39 AM
That's what I thought, but when the talk about 4e in there...

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-17, 11:41 AM
Races and classes isn't about 4th Edition to my knowledge. I was under the impression it was just about the creation and implementation of the most popular stuff so far. Mind Flayer, halflings, elves, from just previous installments, but maybe I misunderstood it.

Actually, it is one of two 4e preview products. Here is a little bit about it from Ampersand (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dramp/20071121):

Preview Products

Wizards Presents: Races and Classes hits the store shelves in a couple of weeks. This is the first of two 4th Edition preview products designed to provide you with a behind-the-curtain glimpse of the making of the 4th Edition of the Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game. (The second is Wizards Presents: Worlds and Monsters, on sale in January.) Full of concept art, designer essays, and insights into R&D's thinking, Races and Classes previews the new version of the game from a player's perspective.

Races and Classes provides a bunch of great information and reveals a number of secrets, including:

The nature and first look at the as-yet-unrevealed new player character race.
A timeline of the design and development of 4th Edition, including notes from the design team.
The top-secret 4th Edition design tenets.
An overview of Player Handbook classes and power sources.
A preview of classes slated for future development after the launch of the Player's Handbook.
All kinds of background information, in-world stories, and anecdotes about what it takes to create a new edition.

Check out Races and Classes (and its companion volume, Worlds and Monsters) for amazing artwork, intriguing spoilers, and a ton of information on what's coming in the new edition -- from the first set of core books to future products later in the line. I know all this stuff, and I couldn't stop reading. Not only is it fascinating material, but it got my mind racing about characters I want to play and campaigns I want to run using the new edition. I think you'll have the same reaction.

It'll be nice to see some actual facts to discuss not just speculation. Of course, it could end up being on big preview with no hard facts like the other previews we've had so far.

DrummingDM
2007-12-17, 11:46 AM
I suspect I'm getting Races & Classes for Christmas. I think the wife ordrered it for me. But I'm not sure.

If she didn't, I'll buy it after Christmas with one of the gift cards I'm sure to get from a bemused aunt or grandparent. I look forward to seeing some of this stuff with my own eyes.

Leadfeathermcc
2007-12-17, 11:50 AM
I stand in awe of Wizards chutzpah. Having the consumer pay for marketing materials. Brilliant!

Crow
2007-12-17, 12:41 PM
Too bad there isn't a Races Compendium, or Classes Compendium. If they could consolidate all the crap that is in 30 sourcebooks right now, I would cry for joy.

That's the only reason I opened this thread...on some wild hope.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-17, 01:10 PM
Congratulations, you've just paid book price for an advertisement.

You've been scammed, sweetheart.

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-17, 01:20 PM

*shrug*

If you say so. I knew what I was buying and did so intentionally. Hardly a scam.

And it isn't *book* price. I mean it is, but not like Core book price. Plus with Amazon's pre-order discount... it was less than what I would spend on a good dinner.

Plus, I get what I want out of the book, which is to get a good idea of what the shape of things will be. I've paid good money for worse. (Expedition to Undermountain comes to mind)

AKA_Bait
2007-12-17, 01:20 PM

Seriously. It's kind of amazing really how good Wizards is at getting their addicts audience to pay for, well, pretty much anything. I'd be shocked if either of the two books coming out had any crunch at all to speak of, so you are buying a preview of the fluff.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-17, 01:29 PM
And it isn't *book* price. I mean it is, but not like Core book price. Plus with Amazon's pre-order discount... it was less than what I would spend on a good dinner.
Oh, well Amazon, this time of year...yeah, you probably got a relatively good deal. It still seems, from my limited product research, to contain zero useful information.

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-17, 01:32 PM
Oh, well Amazon, this time of year...yeah, you probably got a relatively good deal. It still seems, from my limited product research, to contain zero useful information.

As far as I know, it has pretty much 0 crunch and some flavor information about the Points of Light default "setting". That's more what I want it for at this point, since I am about to start running a 3.5 game, though I am going to actually run it as "3.75" using various elements of 4e as best I can, to make the transition to 4e as painless as possible.

Dausuul
2007-12-17, 01:36 PM
Seriously. It's kind of amazing really how good Wizards is at getting their addicts audience to pay for, well, pretty much anything. I'd be shocked if either of the two books coming out had any crunch at all to speak of, so you are buying a preview of the fluff.

I'm planning out a big 4E campaign world, so any preview that gives me even a vague sense of how the mechanics will work is a useful thing, worth paying a bit of money for.

Yeah, that's totally why I'm buying it. I'm not just drooling over the slightest scrap of 4E info. Really.

Leadfeathermcc
2007-12-17, 01:48 PM
I'm planning out a big 4E campaign world, so any preview that gives me even a vague sense of how the mechanics will work is a useful thing, worth paying a bit of money for.

Yeah, that's totally why I'm buying it. I'm not just drooling over the slightest scrap of 4E info. Really.
A vague sense of the mechanics is usually something that is given away free. I to am interested in the mechanics and might purchase 4e, but I am unwilling to pay for a product whose sole purpose is to increase my interest in buying the real product.
This is akin to paying for a movie trailer, or paying for a demo of a video game.

This information could have been just as easily rolled into their new website.

Draz74
2007-12-17, 01:51 PM
Some good summaries of the material in R&C has already been spoiled by people (in other countries) who got the book early. It's all on ENWorld.

It does have a fair amount of information about 4E stuff. Though not specifics, just general stuff.

DrummingDM
2007-12-17, 01:56 PM
This information could have been just as easily rolled into their new website.
Is that really true, though? Fluff's not OGL, and that's all these preview books really are. Personally, I'm interested in 4th edition, and I know my most rules-savvy player is as well. We're going to convert at the conclusion of my current campaign, and unlike my reluctance to jump from 2nd to 3.x, I'm getting in on the ground floor of 4th. So, if Wizards is going to offer a cheapish, all-fluff preview of 4th, I'll take it. My wife and I each have full-time jobs, we can afford it, if need be.

Leadfeathermcc
2007-12-17, 01:59 PM
Hey, it is your money spend it however you desire. :smallsmile:

But yes I think this easily could have become a series of articles in their new online dragon magazine.

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-17, 02:41 PM
But yes I think this easily could have become a series of articles in their new online dragon magazine.

I would have much preferred that. I am a college student paying my full tuition from my pocket (yippee, one in a million who actually pays every single cent by myself). I have a small amount of money and I'd much prefer such info to be free. I see this kind of stuff as a scam, though if I had the money, I'd probably buy it too. Though if you guys would be so kind as to tell us everything their is to know...that'll be great!

Jayabalard
2007-12-17, 03:09 PM
Is that really true, though? Fluff's not OGL, and that's all these preview books really are.online != OGL

there's nothing to prevent them from offering this online, except that they know that they can get people to pay for it.

Hunter Noventa
2007-12-17, 04:48 PM
I plan to browse through it at the local bookstore before making my decision on it's purchase.

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-17, 04:54 PM
I plan to browse through it at the local bookstore before making my decision on it's purchase.

Same here....except for the "purchase" part...

Crow
2007-12-17, 08:39 PM
Same here....except for the "purchase" part...

This sounds like a great idea. Good form!

EvilElitest
2007-12-17, 08:43 PM
Too bad there isn't a Races Compendium, or Classes Compendium. If they could consolidate all the crap that is in 30 sourcebooks right now, I would cry for joy.

That's the only reason I opened this thread...on some wild hope.

Oh gods, i second that so much. I made my own, but lost in and now i can't even manage my own world.

If somebody made an online version i would worship them as a god
from,
EE

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-17, 08:51 PM
Oh gods, i second that so much. I made my own, but lost in and now i can't even manage my own world.

If somebody made an online version i would worship them as a god
from,
EE

Unfortunately, that would be illegal. If it wasn't I would sooo do that. I've got access to every class in 3.5 and most races, though crystalkeep is close enough. Though I'd bet wizards would get a decent amount og money if they did make such a compendium.

Idea Man
2007-12-17, 11:47 PM
Patience. The game is coming. All will be revealed in time.

On a side note, if I had enough money to buy it, I'd also have enough money to start my dreams of world conquest. I'm not saying it's not worth getting, but I'm not going to pay for a book that will be invalidated by the release of the game a few months later. My opinion, pay it no mind. :smalltongue:

RandomFellow
2007-12-18, 12:32 AM
I'm one of those people who are probably not going to buy 4E. That said, I'll look at things as they come out in the local booksore and if they look really good I'll switch once 4E gets some splat books out. I always find Core too...small for my tastes. That said, I'm more likely this time around to buy Core only and homebrew everything else (or convert it from 3.5E). Homebrewing things is just more fun once you know the basic ruleset.