PDA

View Full Version : Perform vs Concentration

cupkeyk
2007-12-17, 01:22 PM
I am playing a bard, with ranks in both dance and song. For flavor, I say that I have anklets, bracelets and a belt of chimes and bells that I use to make my bardic music.

I was grappled and pinned by a ranger sub-boss, and I wanted to use my doomspeak on it to improve my chances of breaking free. My DM says that I needed to make a DC 20 concentration check. But then I had no ranks in concentration because I had Melodic Casting. T_T

Since Melodic Casting only covers spells and spell like abilities, I was screwed.

Is there a ruling on using supernatural and extraordinary abilities in a grapple?

ocato
2007-12-17, 01:26 PM
That's a case of DM rule 0 kicking you in the teeth. Sorry.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-17, 01:26 PM
Well, sounds like your DM is going by the rules here. Melodic casting, quite sensibly when you think about the name, only applies to spellcasting. I don't think you have any recourse in the rulebooks here. I recommend bribery.

AKA_Bait
2007-12-17, 02:24 PM
I recommend bribery.

Must agree. Pizza and beer usually works.

Person_Man
2007-12-17, 02:44 PM
Doomspeak is a supernatural effect. Therefore, it never requires a Concentration check to use, even while being Grappled. (It also doesn't provoke an AoO, it cannot be dispelled, and its not subject to spell resistance). You only need to make a Concentration check while being Grappled if you're casting a spell, and then the Concentration DC is 20 + spell level.

Therefore, your DM was clearly just using a house rule. I think its a bit unfair, especially against a Bard.