PDA

View Full Version : Penetrating Strike pontification

Fixer
2007-12-17, 01:34 PM
Penetrating Strike allows you to gain your sneak attack damage against a target who would normally be immune to your sneak attack damage provided that target is flanked.

What about objects? Can you flank an object?

My thought: Rogue with +6d6 sneak attack damage trying to break through a tough lock (on a chest) because she can't open it. She has the ability to spit acid and does so against the lock. Does she have to have a friend stand on the other side of the chest to gain the sneak attack bonus or is this just ridiculousness talking?

KoDT69
2007-12-17, 01:37 PM
Unless the object is animated somehow, I would consider it a helpless target. :smallsmile: And I doubt it's intelligent, so it should not expect your attack!

cupkeyk
2007-12-17, 01:41 PM
Penetrating Strike works on creatures normally immune to sneak attack. An object although normally immune to SA is not a creature.

Fixer
2007-12-17, 01:44 PM
Penetrating Strike works on creatures normally immune to sneak attack. An object although normally immune to SA is not a creature.
So, the rogue would have to animate it first?

This is one of those cases where the rules are just too funny, right?

Draz74
2007-12-17, 01:48 PM

LoL, yep! I like it.:smallbiggrin:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-17, 01:48 PM
You want to flank a lock/chest?

The lock could not care less, so trying to argue the reasonableness of this based on Penetrating Strike would IMHO fall into the latter category you mention.

Allowing this without flanking, again based on PS, is very far from the mechanics of the class feature.

I suggest you homebrew a feat that would allow you to ignore hardness of an object. :smallsmile:

There is still a big difference between breaking/destroying something and stopping the mojo that keeps the table dancing, but you are of course right that this seems a bit of a stretch of verisimilitude.

Fixer
2007-12-17, 01:52 PM
I suggest you homebrew a feat that would allow you to ignore hardness of an object. :smallsmile:
Nah, easier to get an adamantine weapon. ;)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-17, 01:54 PM
Nah, easier to get an adamantine weapon. ;)

But what about the adamantine lock? :smallamused:

Fixer
2007-12-17, 02:07 PM
But what about the adamantine lock? :smallamused:
uhm....

uhm....

dammit. :smallannoyed:

Darrin
2007-12-17, 02:11 PM
Does she have to have a friend stand on the other side of the chest to gain the sneak attack bonus or is this just ridiculousness talking?

You could use coup de grace instead.

I suggest you homebrew a feat that would allow you to ignore hardness of an object.

Martial Study: Mountain Hammer works for anyone 6th level or above.

Hmm... by that thinking... Sapphire Nightmore Blade or a Blurstrike weapon renders a target flat-footed regardless of whether or not they are flanked, so you might be able to get sneak attack damage on an object that way.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-17, 02:18 PM
You could use coup de grace instead.

Immune to critical hits.

Martial Study: Mountain Hammer works for anyone 6th level or above.

Yes, but that requires a standard action. :smallwink:

Hmm... by that thinking... Sapphire Nightmore Blade or a Blurstrike weapon renders a target flat-footed regardless of whether or not they are flanked, so you might be able to get sneak attack damage on an object that way.

Again, objects are already flat-footed. It is not like you have trouble dealing sneak attack damage because they squirm around when you try to hit them. :smallcool:

Renegade Paladin
2007-12-17, 02:38 PM
Since no one else has mentioned it yet, I'm compelled to point out that Penetrating Strike only allows half your sneak attack damage against normally immune targets, not the whole amount.