PDA

View Full Version : 4e and the "DI"

Crow
2007-12-17, 01:56 PM
Has anyone heard any word on the "Digital Initiative" thing wizards was supposed to be working on? I've checked out the Gleemax alpha periodically, but it just seems to have a login, and then nothing to do once you're in (unless you want to go to the forums or something).

Has there been any leaks about what sort of functionality this thing is supposed to have, or are there features up that I just can't find?

Fhaolan
2007-12-17, 02:40 PM
I was under the impression that the DI was primarily around some kind of online gaming engine. Which was going to deal with online copies of all the suppliments you have registered, and an online distribution system for errata, for said suppliments.

The whole Dragon/Dungeon/whatever being pulled out of print and put online was supposed to be part of it as well, I thought.

But the last time anyone seems to have made an 'official' announcement for it was quite some time ago, so I may be dreadfully out of date.

AlterForm
2007-12-17, 05:27 PM
http://forums.gleemax.com/forumdisplay.php?f=693

Link to 4e forums. DI stuff is interspersed with most of them, but there is a specific D&DI forum set.

So far, we seem to be getting a gaming table (which we may have purchase random minis for. maybe), a character creator program (server based? has a fee to use books outside of core I think), and some other things. Reactions raise from "sweet nibblets! WANT!" to "OMGWTFBBQ. WTF are they thinking?".

Artanis
2007-12-17, 06:02 PM
So far, we seem to be getting a gaming table (which we may have purchase random minis for. maybe), a character creator program (server based? has a fee to use books outside of core I think), and some other things. Reactions raise from "sweet nibblets! WANT!" to "OMGWTFBBQ. WTF are they thinking?".
Sounds like a first-party version of OpenRPG from this description.

AlterForm
2007-12-17, 06:11 PM

With 3D. Pseudo-3D. 3D tokens and 2D maps atm, with maybe light?

Dragonmuncher
2007-12-17, 06:13 PM

That's how I read it. Nowhere near the apocalypse a few posters have been making it out to be...

RandomNPC
2007-12-17, 06:20 PM
sounds like a bad horror film.

actually i don't know what it sounds like, as i have yet to encounter something like this before. but i don't like the sounds of it.

so what, i don't have to drive to my friends house to game anymore, we all just need to log on and give WotC monies so i can sit closer to my own fridge? lovely. i've got a grid paper and minis, what next, they start taking minis off the shelves so i buy into the online model?

Mewtarthio
2007-12-17, 06:27 PM
so what, i don't have to drive to my friends house to game anymore, we all just need to log on and give WotC monies so i can sit closer to my own fridge? lovely. i've got a grid paper and minis, what next, they start taking minis off the shelves so i buy into the online model?

Yes. Exactly. And then they'll cut off your internet if you don't buy the latest splatbook. And then they'll send in genetically engineered super-soldiers to execute you if you try to play without the computer.

RandomFellow
2007-12-17, 06:30 PM

That you have to pay for...0o

Such a product is unimpressive.

Eldmor
2007-12-17, 09:59 PM
If it's customizable with house rules and such, then I'm on board. Although it seems like they've fixed a lot of the problems my house rules patched.

Falkus
2007-12-17, 10:37 PM

It means I can play with my friends in other countries with something superior to a forum posting game.

TheThan
2007-12-17, 11:50 PM
It means I can play with my friends in other countries with something superior to a forum posting game.

There are already several programs that let you do this, so I see nothing new. maybe they can surprise me, maybe not.

tyckspoon
2007-12-18, 12:02 AM
There are already several programs that let you do this, so I see nothing new. maybe they can surprise me, maybe not.

In the best outcome, having the resources of Wizards/Hasbro behinds it means they can create a better end product than the other attempts people have made. Wizards are, at least, the only people who can legally directly include splatbook additions, which could be a powerful selling point if it's done well.

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-18, 12:07 AM
I am very skeptical of this whole online gaming table thing. It looks like a nice tool, but a little too in depth. I don't want a bunch of rules already in it, I want flexibility. I would prefer to have a system that allowed character sheet sharing, built in tile-based mapping but keep all the actual rules out of it and let the players chat.

JadedDM
2007-12-18, 12:56 AM
There are already several programs that let you do this...

That are completely FREE. You left out the most important part.

illathid
2007-12-18, 01:33 AM
I am very skeptical of this whole online gaming table thing. It looks like a nice tool, but a little too in depth. I don't want a bunch of rules already in it, I want flexibility. I would prefer to have a system that allowed character sheet sharing, built in tile-based mapping but keep all the actual rules out of it and let the players chat.

It actually isn't clear at this point whether the game table assumes that one is playing a D20 based system or not. I think the only features they've said it has so far are:

3d miniatures
2d maps
virtual dice (that can be hidden or not)
virtual lighting
message based chat
voice based chat

I believe that the character generator will be run on a different system, so it has yet to be seen whether that aspect is necessary to run the game table. If they do a good job with it, I would think you'd be able to run any dice based system on it (although, it seems like it would be better suited for systems that take miniatures into account).

Tren
2007-12-18, 01:41 AM

Perhaps so, but can you blame a corporation who--crazy thought, is out to make money-- from trying to invent a better mouse trap and earn some money on it?

None of the D&DI stuff is required to play, you don't need anything more than your core books and a set of dice at the kitchen table. All of it is optional content if you decide you want it. I'm also going to give Wizards the benefit of the doubt and assume they're not just going to slap together some second-rate program that other people do better for free. I don't think they're stupid enough to underestimate the online D&D resource base.

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-18, 02:22 AM
Perhaps so, but can you blame a corporation who--crazy thought, is out to make money-- from trying to invent a better mouse trap and earn some money on it?

...and they've already begun, have you seen the previews they're making people pay for?? I am of course referring to the Wizards Presents: X and Y books. I'm sure this'll get a lot of criticism, but a lot of people will buy into it. I will stick with PbP, RL, or chat (and probably 3.5 anyway).

AlterForm
2007-12-18, 08:16 AM
So, what I've heard here and on the forums, by the way:

- The Game Table will allow houserules
- The Game Table will not allow houserules, but will do the DnD rules well
- The Game Table will not abjudicate any rules at all

- Sure, it's supposed to be optional. Just like the 3e E-Tools (I think that's what it was) was optional.
- - (corollary) WotC is just saying it's "optional" so they have an out; when it flops they can say "well, it was only supposed to be optional, so buy the books and play anyway!"

- Open Beta eventually

- WotC is looking for a new lead developer for the project, going from contracted guys to an in-house person.

- Minis! :smallsmile:
- Minis! :smallfurious:

- Built on DX9? :smallsmile:
- Built on DX9? :smallannoyed:
- Built on DX9? How dare they? Now Macs/Linuxes will never get it! Or they'll get a horribly ruined port! Should've gone with OpenGL! :smallfurious:

Crow
2007-12-18, 09:55 AM
I'm also going to give Wizards the benefit of the doubt and assume they're not just going to slap together some second-rate program that other people do better for free. I don't think they're stupid enough to underestimate the online D&D resource base.

Yeah, just like the last time... [/sarcasm]