PDA

View Full Version : duskblade Spells

Kazuel
2007-12-17, 02:14 PM
I'm looking for some really good spells to add to the duskblade Spell list. I've already got Wraithstrike, but I'm looking for some other good ones. Please list the book the spell is found in to if you can. Thank in advance.

Wordmiser
2007-12-17, 02:19 PM
If you're trying to power up the class, they could use some higher level touch spells and some more buffs (Enlarge and Haste would both be handy). An ability to convert Rays to touch spells might work as a capstone.

InkEyes
2007-12-17, 03:00 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34943&highlight=Expanded+Duskblade+Spell+List) thread has some extra spells from outside core (mostly in the SP) that would work on a Dusk Blade spell list.

weenie
2007-12-17, 04:33 PM
I've seen it mentioned a couple times, that Cloud of Knives would be a good spell for a Duskblade, and I really can't figure out the why? Sure, in all twenty rounds added up together(if you never miss) it would do an average of 150 dmg, but fights don't usually last that long, and the spell's duration is too short for it to be used as a pre-cast spell. It also makes sense, that one would use it to save on spell slots, but it's not like the Duskblade has a lack of those ither.. And finally, even though they're not subject to spell resistance or saving throws, the knives are subject to damage reduction, which if 10 and above, would practically negate the whole spell effect. So, why is this spell that good?

Fax Celestis
2007-12-17, 04:37 PM
I've seen it mentioned a couple times, that Cloud of Knives would be a good spell for a Duskblade, and I really can't figure out the why? Sure, in all twenty rounds added up together(if you never miss) it would do an average of 150 dmg, but fights don't usually last that long, and the spell's duration is too short for it to be used as a pre-cast spell. It also makes sense, that one would use it to save on spell slots, but it's not like the Duskblade has a lack of those ither.. And finally, even though they're not subject to spell resistance or saving throws, the knives are subject to damage reduction, which if 10 and above, would practically negate the whole spell effect. So, why is this spell that good?

Smiting Spell metamagic + cloud of knives = long-range touch attack on-hit spells.

Chronicled
2007-12-17, 04:42 PM
Combining Metamagic: Explosive Spell + Cloud of Knives would seem to have some merit, too. *Digs out CArc to see if that's a possible combination.*

weenie
2007-12-17, 05:07 PM
Smiting Spell metamagic + cloud of knives = long-range touch attack on-hit spells.

Well, I have to admit that gives you some versability, but at the cost of 1 feat, 1 spell known and the higher level slot you'd use up to pull this off.. Is it really worth it? I mean, you have dimension hop & dimension door as a Duskblade, so a melee isn't really all that risky..

deadseashoals
2007-12-17, 06:32 PM
Emphasis mine:

I'm looking for some really good spells to add to the duskblade Spell list. I've already got Wraithstrike, but I'm looking for some other good ones.

Might as well go the whole broken nine yards and get polymorph then.

Fax Celestis
2007-12-17, 06:52 PM
Well, I have to admit that gives you some versability, but at the cost of 1 feat, 1 spell known and the higher level slot you'd use up to pull this off.. Is it really worth it? I mean, you have dimension hop & dimension door as a Duskblade, so a melee isn't really all that risky..

It's also a free attack every round. Get some method of sneak attack (one level of Spellthief, for instance, which can be even tastier with the Master Spellthief feat) and zing off (thieving) sneak attacks within 30' for free every round.

Reel On, Love
2007-12-17, 07:03 PM

Cloud of Knives is only a touch attack in your Cloud-of-Knives-loving dreams.

weenie
2007-12-17, 07:13 PM
I think it was meant as long-range touch spells delivery. Hmmm, or was it? Well, it's not a touch attack, if that's what was meant.

Fax Celestis
2007-12-18, 01:33 AM
Cloud of Knives is only a touch attack in your Cloud-of-Knives-loving dreams.

No, I meant that you could attach "touch attack" spells to a knife.