PDA

View Full Version : Escape from Castle Amber - IC

Pages : [1] 2

Toliudar
2007-12-17, 03:53 PM
The five of you have been traveling overland to Glantri City, in pursuit of rumours of new excavations - new sources of wonder and wealth - opened up by a recent earthquake near there.

Leading a pack mule laden with supplies, you have been following a river that a local farmer assured you would lead towards the city. Unfortunately, either the directions he gave you were wrong, or you have taken the wrong river. At any rate, you have good reason to suspect that you are lost, and will have to retrace your route tomorrow.

The sun is setting, and it is time to make camp. The most defensible campsite is on a hill nearby. The night passes safely, although your sleep is plagued with nightmares. When the sun finally rises, you stare out at a world gone mad. Instead of the hill where you made camp last night, your bedrolls now lie in a foyer of an ornate mansion. A freshly swept carpet graces the floor. The walls are decorated with bright colourful tapestries. Brass candelabra line the entranceway. They show signs of having been recently polished, and are filled with candles.

More unsettling than the sudden change from wilderness to mansion is the smoky grey mist whihc surrounds the mansion at a distance of about 30 feet - blocking all sight beyond. The mule, which seems to have accidentally wandered into the mist, has not returned, though the lead rope was still visible at the edge of the mist. When the rope was hauled back in, the dead body of the mule was dragged back into the sunlight. What killed the mule is not clear, but it died with a horrible look of pain on its face. The mist advances on the mansion, even as the five of you watch, but luckily, it does not enter the foyer. The double doors to the interior swing open into the main hallway by themselves.

Aaaaaall aboard!

GimliFett
2007-12-17, 04:32 PM
Oberon

The warlock harumphs lightly. "Well, there's something you don't see everyday. Last time I take directions from a farmer without verifying with someone else, I'll assure you!" Oberon seems miffed, but not really ruffled. He concentrates a moment, then gazes around at the group's surroundings.

Invoke see the unseen. Gives me see invisibility and darkvision 60'; I already have low-light vision.

Diarmuid
2007-12-17, 05:06 PM
Jonah Lommaryn

Jonah is a fairly young man, in his early to mid 20's. He is quite attractive, if only of average height and build...standing a couple inches under six feet, and filling out his clothing well, but not overly so. A silvery blue shirt of chain covers his chest and arms, while a deep blue cloak, edged in gold and silver slides down his back. On his hips are a long sword wrought of cold-iron in a sheath of green leather, and a dagger of bright silver resting in it's rough red sheathe (that he claimed to be dragonhide). A case of crossbow bolts is tied to his thigh below the short sheath of the dagger. A standard adventuring pack rests on his back, a covered torch hanging through two loops on one side, and a light crossbow tied to the other side. While resting, he can often be seen flipping through the various scrolls in a case he usually keeps in his backpack.

A look of shock plays itself across Jonah's face as he takes in the group's new surroundings. As he is rubbing his eyes and pinching himself, he hears Oberon's simple statement and spins to address him,

"We wake up in the middle of some castle, as opposed to the forest where we bedded down, and you're worried about the guy who gave us directions?!!"

A sense of alarm, nearing panic crept into his voice as it raised through an octave and ended up high pitched.

As the rope is hauled in and the mule is found dead, Jonah tries to determine what could have caused its death.

[roll0]

"I'm not really sure what killed that thing, but I'm not going to risk it possibly being that mist to walk out there. I'm also going to guess we might not want to eat or drink any of the supplies it was carrying."

He gives a start as the doors swing open of their own volition. Cautiously stepping towards them, he stops about 5 feet from the threshold and calls out,

"Hello? Is someone there?"

[roll1]

GimliFett
2007-12-17, 05:23 PM
Oberon

Oberon's emerald green eyes blink twice after Jonah's outburst, but his constant smile never wavers. "Of course, Jonah. I hate dealing with untrustworthy souls," he begins. The statement, to those who've known him longest, is somewhat odd or funny, given his own penchant for...hyperbole. "This mess," he waves around the group, "is obviously not something we have control over, at the moment at least. Best to focus first on what one does have control over, non?"

Still smiling, the tall faetouched seems to focus inward once more, then returns his gaze to the mansion and open doors before the group. His impossibly thin limbs seem to flutter as a branch in a light breeze, and his golden-red hair, reminiscent of autumn leaves settles softly onto his shoulders.

Invoke sylvan step. Just because it increases my base speed +10ft. I don't figure the other parts of the ability will come into play.

jameswilliamogle
2007-12-18, 08:33 AM
Erelith

Erelith has red hair, orange-colored clothes, and seems to have soot on his skin everywhere it shows. He's got crazy eyes of blue.

"Hrm, I don't believe I've ever seen that kind of smoke..." he says as he stares out at the mist, slightly distracted by the candles.

Knowledge: Arcana
[roll0]

Inevitably, he loses attention, and grabs one of the candles and starts playing with the dripping wax...

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-18, 08:57 AM
Duran Stonesheath

Duran has an appearance typical of most dwarves. His large, flat nose is the most prominent feature of his face, and it rests below his small, beady green eyes. His hair is thick, shaggy, and black, and both it and his long beard are usually kept in well-ordered braids. His skin is dark and sooty, as is common for those who spend much time in front of a forge. His arms are incredibly muscular, and his thick fingers demonstrate surprising dexterity with a smith's hammer(though not much else). He wears simple clothing of earthen tones beneath his adamantine armor.

The dwarf seems rather calm about this turn of events, though not nearly as calm as Oberon seems. He speaks with a gruff, dwarven accent ((which I'm totally imagining as being German right now, though I have no idea what a German person sounds like speaking French)) "Panicin' won't do us no good 'ere, aye? Obviously somethin' magical goin' on 'ere. For now, let's just explore about." With that, he approaches the door, standing by Jonah's side and waiting a moment for a response.

Toliudar
2007-12-18, 12:57 PM
Just waiting for North to post, and I'll continue on.

North
2007-12-18, 03:54 PM
Tyz

The hell? First a crappy night of sleep and now this. Tyz looks out to the fog. Maybe we are in hell... The halfling is a few inches over three feet tall, lean but honed muscle. Hes got short spiky dark red hair that contrast with his pitch black eyes. His movements are erratic. Slow walking puncuated by a spontaneous rapid run. A sword almost as big as he is rests behind his back and two small hammers hang from his belt.

Tyz plays with a coin though his fingers flips it in the air and looks at it. Yeah sure lets go.

To throw or not throw (1d2=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1434475)

Toliudar
2007-12-18, 09:53 PM
As Jonah and Duran lead the way to the doorway, he sees that, beyond, there is an opulent hallway in good repair. It extends some seventy or eighty feet to tall pair of double doors, similar to the ones that have just swung open to you.

About halfway down the hallway, there is a gilt single door on the right hand side. The door is slightly open. From inside, a cultured male voice wafts:

You know, it's VERY rude to keep your host waiting.

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-18, 10:01 PM
Duran frowns at this, and bites back comments about the ethics of magically warping people without their consent, instead choosing to enter the hallway to find the source of the voice. He remains guarded, but does not draw his weapon.

Toliudar
2007-12-18, 11:31 PM
The priest clanks his way down the hallway as the voice continues.

Yes, yes. Nothing to worry about.

There is light coming from the slightly open door. Peering in, Duran sees a large room with high ceilings, lit by chandeliers with many flickering lights.

The room is luxuriously furnished with plush chairs, plished wood tables, orante rugs and other fine furniture. All of these have been pushed up against the filigreed walls of the room, and the carpets have been rolled up. In the middle of the floor, an improptu boxing ring has been set up. In one corner of the ring, a man stands as still as a statue, with his fists raised in a guard position. This man is wearing amber short pants. His head is bald, his body muscular and flawless.

Seated near the man in the ring is a man dressed in colourful and flowing silks, fancy lace and rich velvets. He also wears a large brimmed hat flaunting a peacock's feather. A jeweled rapier is slung on his right side on a supple leather baldric. He has wavy black hair and a clisely trimmed beard which comes to a point. Two men in plate armour, holding halberds, stand at attention to either side of the man.

While the chairs have been pushed back towards the edges of the room, they all face the ring. Duran cathes sight of pairs of red lights in many of the chairs - they seem to focus in on him as his face appears in the doorway.

Welcome!, says the bearded man. Please, come in!

Diarmuid
2007-12-19, 02:49 AM
Jonah

The bard moves to follow the cleric down the hall and gestures for the others to do the same, saying quietly,

"We should go see what is going on, and I would guess we should maybe not keep whoever has the ability to do...whatever happened to us waiting any longer than necessary."

Moving into the room behind Duran, he scans the room and ponders at the strange layout. Moving further into the room, so he can properly address the seated man, he is careful to avoid getting too close to the ring, or the seated man and his apparent guards. The panic and fear that had gripped him seems to have melted away as he calculates the situation. Sweeping his beautiful cloak back, he executes a perfect respectable and speaks,

"Greetings to you. Far be it from me to seem ungrateful for the hospitality of a host, but it seems you have myself and my companions at a bit of a disadvantage. Would you perhaps be so good as to explain where we are and whence we have come?"

jameswilliamogle
2007-12-19, 08:23 AM
Erelith

...follows, cautiously.

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-19, 09:30 AM
Duran

Knowing the bard's way with words would serve them better than his own, Duran simply nods to the man speaking to them and allows Jonah to do all the talking. In the meantime, he looks around the room for a moment and tries to identify the red lights in the chairs, suspecting that they are ghosts of some sort.

Rolls:Knowledge, Religion: (3d6+4=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1435661)(Oh, yeah, knowledge (religion) doesn't come up that often! There's no need to sink a whole lot of ranks in it; put 'em in craft instead! *grumble*)
Note that just after I posted, I remembered the 3d6 skill checks. I rerolled to correct that.

GimliFett
2007-12-19, 09:33 AM
Oberon

The faetouched follows along behind Erelith, sauntering as casually as if walking through a sunlit meadow. On entering the room, he pans around taking in everything, seeking that which seeks to remain unseen. "Nice setup," Oberon comments dryly as he continues to look around.

North
2007-12-19, 04:21 PM
Tyz

Tyz walked into the room with the others. Looking at the men in the middle he bites back several curses and remarks involving their parentage and livestock. The halfling settles for a dark scowl on his face.

Toliudar
2007-12-19, 11:47 PM
Now that you're all in the room...spot checks, please! And remember the 3d6 instead of 1d20 houserule.

Dothen isn't familiar with any kinds of undead that appear as just glowing eyes, without a body of any sort around them.

Oberon isn't seeing anything invisible in the room - well, you know what I meant by that rather obvious-sounding statement.

The five of you cluster near the entrance to the room. The pairs of red lights are DEFINITELY turning to watch you.

The man does not rise, but gestures for you to approach.

Welcome, gentlemen. Erm. The little one IS a men, yes? And...advantage? Ah, yes, of course. You are in our home. I am Jean-Louis D'Amberville - or, as we were better known to the world, Amber!

He says the last words with a flourish, as if the name would of course be on everyone's lips.

North
2007-12-20, 12:10 AM
Tyz

The look on the halflings face darkens even more. Little one is a men? Rrrrrrrr. With concious effort Tyz moves his hand away from his sword.

Spot (3d6-1=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1436969)

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-20, 08:07 AM
Duran moves further into the room, keeping his eyes open for... well, "anything unusual" would be everything at the moment. He remains silent, letting Jonah do all the talking.

Rolls:Spot: (3d6+4=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1437377)

Diarmuid
2007-12-20, 09:49 AM
Jonah

[roll0]

Surveying the room as Jean-Louis speaks, he ponders at the man's words.

[roll1]
[roll2] (not sure if you wanted that d20 or 3d6 so I did both for now)

Uncomfortable with the situation, the bard tries to assuade some of his possible fears by getting the man to talk a little more.

"I hope this question wont seem too strange, but in which world is it specifically that you are known as Amber?"

Disappearing from their campsite and winding up in some strange castle had his paranoia on overdrive and he wanted to make sure they had not somehow triggered one of the rare gateways still rumored to exist from ancient times while maybe searching for the ruins.

jameswilliamogle
2007-12-20, 10:06 AM
Erelith

"Why, Amber, of course we've heard of you! The question is, of course, why have you brought us here, and what do you want of us?" ...he's bluffing, of course...

[roll0]

GimliFett
2007-12-20, 10:37 AM
Oberon

The faetouched leans casually against the wall beside the door, arms crossed over his chest and right ankle crossed over left. He continues to leisurely pan around the room, his face impassive but for a slight smile playing at the corners of his lips. "Yes, Amber. Of course. You have fae ties, hm? And have been long from the world, as well," Oberon asks, trying to get a feel for the group's host.

Spot: [roll0]
Bluff: [roll1]
Sense Motive: [roll2]
Also, Toli, you mention Dothen isn't familiar with yada, yada. I assume you mean Duran? :smallwink: Poor Duran. :smallbiggrin: Constantly confused with other folks...

Toliudar
2007-12-20, 10:53 AM
First, Gimlifett and PP - I will eventually get this right.

Jonah - most ability checks will be 1d20, but since bard lore so closely mimics a skill, 3d6 does seem most appropriate to me. Results of your check are here:

You seem to recall the Ambers as an eccentric house in the Averoigne province, noted for the that delightful combination: powerful magic use and eccentricity. While the study of magic is certainly not un-heard-of here, there are certain...areas of magic that are strongly frowned on. Especially that to do with links to other planes. Evidence was brought forward, the family was pronounced enemies of the state and their lands seized. There was a brief war, and it was rumoured that their own estate was destroyed, razed to the ground.

But...this was all some 160 years ago.

Oberon notices:
As far as he can tell, the man isn't lying, but certainly isn't telling the whole truth either.

Duran notices:
The flesh of the man in the ring, and the two men holding halberds, has a strange golden sheen to it. They also don't seem to be breathing.

The man seems baffled and a little hurt that his fame is well, limited. Erelith's patent lie is the final blow.

Why, in Glantri, of course! We were the toast of...and the scourge of...well. I can see that fame is indeed fleeting!

He sighs deeply.

Well, life goes on. And on. And so - diversions must be found. Tell me...do any of you box, by any chance?

North
2007-12-20, 02:13 PM
Tyz

Whats a box? Is that like basket weaving? Nah, I never trained in that sort of skill. Tyz deadpans to the ringmaster.

GimliFett
2007-12-20, 02:18 PM
Oberon

Oberon snickers, then smiles at the halfling. "Some people like to beat fists upon faces and call it sport. I'll pass. It's not in my idiom," the warlock says with a mocking half-bow, though whether he mocks himself or another is unclear.

North
2007-12-20, 02:43 PM
Tyz

Ohhhhhhhhh why didnt you just say that. That sounds a lot better Ob. Tyz flicks his coin into the air. Looking down at it he smiles. Yeah l'll do your facefighting. The halfling unsheathes his sword.

Forgot to link
To Facefight or not (1d2=1) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1437814)

Toliudar
2007-12-20, 08:00 PM
Jean-Louis raises a hand as Tyz unsheathes his sword.

I'm afraid you misunderstand, sir. To box is to fight in the purest form, without recourse to either armour or weapons - with nothing but your fists.

Sizing up the halfling, he adds.

Still, if you were willing to participate, it would be of some interest to see how Magen fares against such a small opponent. And given your size, I might be willing to offer better-than-even odds...

North
2007-12-20, 09:54 PM
Tyz

Small opponent eh? Heh. Tyz smile turns smirk as he remembers the human merchant who had mistooken him for a child, and let him get in past his guard to drive the dagger nice n deep. I binged for a week on that purse.

What this? The Halfling gestures to his sword. Its a Cultural weapon. But if he doesnt want to get bloodied up, I also got dese hammers. Tyz shrugs resheathing his sword.

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-20, 11:22 PM
Duran Stonesheath

Duran sighs and mutters something about this being a bad idea to himself, but shrugs when Tyz volunteers. "If things go south fer ya lad, I'll be here to patch ya up."

Toliudar
2007-12-21, 02:18 AM
The red lights seem to focus in on the halfling. The man in the chair sighs. He speaks slowly and carefully.

No...weapons...or...armour. Do you understand? Just your body, and his body.

Diarmuid
2007-12-21, 10:10 AM
Jonah

Trying to mediate so the halfling completely understands what he may be agreeing to, Jonah pipes in,

"Tyz, this sounds much like some of the monk demonstrations I witnessed. They feel that by relying only on their own flesh and spirit they can achieve a certain level of...I think they called it "zen". Jean-Louis, why do you bring up odds? Would you wish to wager on the result of this fight? What would be the rules defining victory? Submission? Unconsciousness? Death?"

Toliudar
2007-12-21, 10:39 AM
Jean-Louis laughs and rubs his hands together.

Now we are talking! Well, what else but a wager would make it truly interesting. Cash or gems, on the barrel-head as it were. If you go with the little one, I'll give you 3 to 2 odds. What do you say?

North
2007-12-21, 07:10 PM
Tyz

The halfling starts taking off his armor griping every step of the way. Damnfancyrules.Noweaponssheesh.Sincewhendohammersc ountataweapontheyarentevensharp. Richpeopleandtheirfancytights.Rulesandrestrictions .Thatsallitis.Blah!Nowordsnoarmornohammersare theytryingtomakemelose.Hah!YeahIbet.Whenwasthelast timeIfoughtsomeonewithoutawepaonanyways.Thatoneonl ylastedtillIfound thatbeerbottle.HAHAHAHAH!Goodtimes.

Toliudar
2007-12-21, 08:54 PM
The bearded man murmurs to one of the halberd-wearing men. Moving for the first time, the halberdier goes to the edge of the ring and lifts up the bottom rope of the platform.

The rules? Rules are good, I suppose. Unconsciousness, voluntary submission or leaving the ring, I suppose, all lose you the match. And...what are you putting up for your stake?

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-21, 09:35 PM
Duran Stonesheath

Normally not a man to gamble, Duran reaches into his pockets, thinking it wiser to please their host while his capabilities remained yet untested. He pours a few gold coins into his hand and says, "I'll bet... fifteen gold on my halfling friend."

Diarmuid
2007-12-21, 10:36 PM
Jonah

Moving to help Tyz with his things, the bard steps in close and whispers to his companion,

"Tyz, you dont have to do this if you dont want to. If it's going badly, I would suggest just leaving the ring. This is all very strange, and even if it upsets our host, I'd rather you be alive to help us deal with whatever consequences come from it, than be lying down on that mat. I'll be cheering for you the whole time, make sure to listen carefully to my rousing song."

With a wink for the little fellow, he pats him on the back and steps away. While Duran is negotiating with Jean-Louis, he takes the opportunity to scrutinize the man and see if he has any alterior motives.

[roll0]

North
2007-12-24, 05:56 PM
Tyz

I aint never backed down from a fight, and I wont stop now. Tyz replies to Jonah. Luck has decided I should fight. Either I win or .... Well we can burn that bridge when we come to it.

Barechested and disarmed the halfling runs over to the ring. Ignoring the rope thats been pulled down for him Tyz leaps over the top rope and lands in a fighting stance.

Lets do this. the warrior growls.

Jump! (3d6+11=24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1443900)
Intimidate! (3d6+10=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1443918)

Toliudar
2007-12-25, 02:27 AM
Fifteen gold it is! A modest sum for a modest figure.

The pairs of red lights are all now intent on the square in the centre of the room. As Tyz leaps nimbly over the top rope, Jean-Louis shouts out the word "Fight!" The man in the ring seems to notice Tyz for the first time, scrutinizing him as he begins shifting right and left. The man is heavy on his feet, but with a certain grace. Tyz can tell already that he's faster than this oaf...but will that be enough?

Neither Tyz nor his opponent will start flat-footed. North, I'll need an initiative roll, a first round of actions, and any appropriate rolls you'd like to make. Assume the ring is 25' on each side - you're starting in the middle of the west side, your opponent in the middle of the east, so you're twenty feet apart. Put whatever if-then's and contingencies you'd like on this.

Similarly, if any of the rest of you would like to intervene in any way, now or in a contingent situation, now's a good time to post that.

I'll be visiting family and away from my notes until the 31st. We can probably execute the first round of combat in that time, but more regular posting will have to wait till 2008. Have a great holiday season, everyone!

North
2007-12-25, 03:18 AM
At the sound of "fight" Tyz body tenses and the barbarians vision turns red. He closes in with his opponent and attacks. Fast and savage. Tyz charges in headfirst. Fists flying towards his opponents chest as he rams him towards the ropes.

Rrrrrarrrrgh!

Initiative! (1d20+3=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1444294)
Bullrush! -4 size, +2 charge +4 Str. (1d20+2=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1444300)
AC is 16 while raging unarmed. Str 18. Reflex 7.

Diarmuid
2007-12-28, 12:14 PM
Jonah

When the two combatants sqaure off in the ring, Jonah begins cheering for Tyz even going so far as to begin a little song with a story like David and Goliath.

[roll0]

For the first round, it is just normal singing. In the second round (assuming no one has objected to the singing to that point) Jonah will try to cleverly mix in an Inspirational Boost spell (swift action, verbal/somatic componenets) and then begin inspiring courage in his allies (+2 hit/dmg).

Toliudar
2008-01-01, 02:45 PM
At the word "Fight", the halfling launches himself across the ring. As he reaches forward, the golden-skinned man's fist cracks downward, landing heavily on the side of his head. [Tyz takes 8 points of regular damage]

Fortunately, his opponent has failed to realize that this is not a particularly vulnerable spot on the halfling. Clipping the legs out from under the man, Tyz half-carries him back up against the ropes, and over. The magen tries valiantly to seize the top rope as he is flipping over it, but to no avail, and he lands on the ground beyond with a thud.

There is a soft murmur, quiet applause and a bit of laughter from the chairs where the red eyes float. The boxer is up on his feet in an instant, and is rushing back towards the ring, when Jean-Louis' voice cuts him off, freezing him in place "Stop!"

Jean-Louis leaps to his feet, his fists clenched, and his face purples briefly as he stares up at the halfling in the ring. After a brief moment, he speaks.

That was...clever, little man.

He walks towards the ring with a non-chalance that poorly conceals his rage.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-01, 08:45 PM
Duran keeps one eye on Jean-Louis throughout the fight, and upon seeing Tyz victorious and the rage on their host's face, he reserves his applause, keeping a grave expression on his face. To him self, he thinks to himself "Tyz? Clever? There must be some kind of mistake..."

Diarmuid
2008-01-02, 10:55 AM
Jonah

Jonah barely had time to start his little musical intro before their host interjected and stopped the fight. He cut off mid verse, apparently glad that things were halted before he started "helping" Tyz. Especially seeing that Jean-Louis seemed this angry at Tyz's unusual tactics having brought victory.

"So, umm....did Tyz win?"

He asks the question somewhat timidly, crossing his hands over his chest where he can reach his weapons somewhat easily.

Toliudar
2008-01-02, 12:58 PM
Still staring at Tyz, Jean-Louis takes a slow deep breath. He is clearly annoyed.

Yes. Departure from the ring during a round is considered a forfeiture. The little hairy one is...the winner.

Reaching peremptorily into his jacket, Jean-Louis quickly takes out a money pouch and shakes out 3 platinum pieces, which he slams down onto the floor of the ring. He paces back towards his seat, but pauses before he sits. He turns slowly back to Tyz. He smiles nonchalantly.

Care for a...rematch? Double or nothing?

The match didn't go on long enough for Jonah to activate his song, so he hasn't used any up yet.

Diarmuid
2008-01-02, 01:26 PM
Edit - Stupid double post

North
2008-01-02, 03:05 PM
Tyz

The blood rushing away from the head as the halfling settles down from the fight. I cant believe that worked! Luck! Tyz tries keeping his pleasure at owning the magen off his face, mostly. Its hard.

Again? Tyz takes his coin out of his pocket and flips it. Snatching it out of the air he looks at it. No seems like I is only supposed to fight the once. Im going to get dressed again, I feel naked up here. Tyz runs back to his side and slides under the ropes and proceeds to get regeared.

To fight again! or not to fight. (1d2=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1449863/)

Toliudar
2008-01-02, 03:18 PM
Amber sighs, and sits.

Well, then, gentlemen, welcome to Castle Amber. Feel free to have a look around. Dinner will be served shortly. And of course...

He gestures vaguely to the opposite wall, presumably referring to the outside of the castle.

As a lovely bard once commented, "You can step out any time you like...but you can never leave.

Far from the sinister tone that might be expected with such a comment, Jean-Louis seems a bit sad as he sits back down. He claps twice, and the golden boxer comes to life, clambering a bit awkwardly back up into the ring. Two pairs of the red lights drift over from chairs on the far side of the room, and seem to hover near him.

jameswilliamogle
2008-01-02, 04:42 PM
Erelith

Erelith's eyebrows raise, and his eyes seem to light up as if on fire. "Hrm? What do you mean by that?"

Diarmuid
2008-01-02, 04:44 PM
Jonah

Moving to help the halfling into his armor, he pats him congratulatarily on the back.

"Good show Tyz, good show!"

As their host sits back down and the golden boxer comes back to life, he watches as the red orbs move around a bit. Happy to have been seemingly dismissed, he begins moving back towards the hallway and waves to Jean-Louis,

"Well Mr Amber, it certainly has been a pleasure. Dinner, right....if you would be so kind where will the evening meal be held? I would hate for any wanderings to take us too far away and us to miss more of your hospitality."

[roll0] (8 ranks, 4 Cha, 4 synergy, 1 trait)

Toliudar
2008-01-02, 09:11 PM
Jean-Louis merely winks at Erelith. He turns away absent-mindedly to respond to Jonah.

Dinner? Why, it's in the dining hall, of cou- ah. Newly arrived, of course. Just through this door -

He gestures to the door opposite the one you used to enter the room.

Dinner will be at...well, to be truthful, I'm not sure when dinner will be. The servants take care of those kinds of things.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-02, 11:29 PM
Duran moves to Tyz's side, allowing himself a grin now that their host had calmed down. "Impressive display 'ere, Tyz. Took a little knock I see... Lemme fix 'at up." Duran pulls out a wand and touches it to Tyz, and his bruise begins to slowly vanish; it'll be gone in about a minute. He walks over to the dropped coins and picks them up gingerly, giving a short nod to Jean-Loius. Figuring it best to learn what he can, he says, "So, m'lord Amber, if I might ask, what manner of man is Magen? His skin is golden and he doesn't seem to drawin' breath. A construct, or am I simply seein' things?"

OOC:Using one charge from a wand of Lesser Vigor. 49 charges left, and Tyz has fast healing 1 for 11 rounds.

GimliFett
2008-01-03, 10:53 AM
Oberon

The faetouched continues to observe the group's host interact with his companions, trying to size up his intentions and mood, though the latter seems very difficult to ascertain given Lord Amber's apparently flighty nature and rashness.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

Toliudar
2008-01-04, 11:14 AM
Oberon casts what seems like a carefree eye on Jean-Louis. He is obviously put out, but relaxes a bit as he has the opportunity to talk about the magen.

Amber perks up at Duran's question, and moves about the ring a bit as he describes the magen.

A natural mistake, sir! Magen is not this boxer's name, but the name of an entire group of artificial servants that my beloved sister built.

One of the pairs of red lights seems to dip slightly at the mention.

They really are quite remarkable. Hardly more brain than a stone, really, but with considerable work and training - CONSIDERABLE work - it has been possible to instil in this one something of the noble craft.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-04, 12:17 PM
Visibly growing a bit more comfortable with the otherwise dire situation due to having something interesting to talk about, Duran presses further on the conversation. "So they all be of a like kind? I've some minor knowledge of such things. I've advanced far in me forgework, an' I been thinkin' about perhaps pursuing construct craft in me future. 'Tis normally the realm of masters of th' arcane arts, aye, but methinks some guidance from th' Soulforger an' a bit a' dwarven know-how might have interestin' results..." While speaking, he attempts to get a close look at the nearest Magen, wracking his mind for a few moments to recall any information about this kind of construct.

Rolls:I think the relevant check here is spellcraft. If it's Knowledge (Arcana) then Duran's pretty much SOL here.

Spellcraft: (3d6 + 10=24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1451345/)

I didn't add a bonus from Stonecunning. If it comes into play here, as I kind of suspect it might, that's a 26.

jameswilliamogle
2008-01-04, 01:02 PM
Erelith

Quite bored by all the talking, starts concentrating (obvious from his focused brow and his tongue hanging out slightly to the side), then causes little fires to light up in various patterns overhead...

GimliFett
2008-01-04, 01:07 PM
Oberon

Seeing Lord Amber so involved in conversation, Oberon takes the opportunity to look around a bit more, particularly at the red lights which hover near the man. He saunters around the room, keeping the lights at least in the corner of his vision at all times.

North
2008-01-04, 07:16 PM
Tyz

Fully dressed and armed Tyz feels a lot more comfortable again.

Whats for dinner here then? I hope you have lots of beer.

Toliudar
2008-01-06, 01:45 PM
[sorry for the delay.]

Jean Louis focuses on Duran, but his eyes glaze over a bit at the detailed talk of the magen.

I...I...you're better off talking to Isobel about this. She's around somewhere.

He waves in the same general direction as the dining hall. Tyz' question brings Jean Louis back with a snap.

Beer? Beer. Well, you can ask. Normally, we have wine.

Oberon takes a closer look at the pairs of lights. He becomes more and more convinced that they act like eyes - even to the extent that he could SWEAR that one of them just winked at him. But, since there are no lids...how could that be?

North
2008-01-06, 02:39 PM
Tyz

In search of beer Tyz starts walking the way Jean Louis points.

Diarmuid
2008-01-06, 10:04 PM
Jonah

Offering a slight bow to Jean-Louis, Jonah follows Tyz out into the hallway to make sure he doesnt get into any trouble, and to a lesser extent...to get away from the strange, strange man.

"You know...I think I too could go for a beer just about now."

He looks for the dining hall in the direction their host directed them, keeping and eye and ear out for anything suspicious.

[roll0]
[roll1]

GimliFett
2008-01-07, 10:55 AM
Oberon

With a slight snicker, the faetouched turns back towards the others. "Beer. Wine. Meh. Alcohol is alcohol, unless it's faewine. Now, that's a drink, I must say!" Oberon turns slightly, back towards Lord Amber. "Those lights are an interesting effect, saer. What are they, exactly?"

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-07, 11:09 AM
Duran holds his hand up to the others as they leave for the kitchen and opens his mouth to say something, but they're gone before he has a chance. He thinks to himself, "Suppose I'll have ta stay sober fer th' rest of 'em tonight. Better remind them that we're not exactly here to enjoy ourselves either..."

He hangs back, interested in hearing the answers to Oberon's question.

OOC:I take it Duran can't figure anything out about the Magen? Not even how they're constructed and such?

Toliudar
2008-01-09, 09:19 AM
Duran:
Duran can confirm that they definitely are constructs. They don't seem to be stitched together from dead bodies, the way a flesh golem is. Other than that, it's not clear how they're made.

Jean Louis smiles at Oberon's question.

The lights? Well, I suppose you'd have to ask them?

Tyz, Jonah and Erelith head on through the closed door, and find themselves at one end of a massive dining hall. The hall is in an advanced state of decay. There are once-lovely double doors half-way up the left wall, accessed by a pair of sweeping staircases, with ornate bannisters. At the far end of the room, perhaps a hundred feet away, there is a closed door, similarly gilt and ornate. On the right wall are a number of large windows, all showing nothing but grey fog beyond.

As the three watch, the double doors open, and pairs of nobles in fine - if slightly old-fashioned - garments sweep down the stairs. As they enter, the appearance of the dining room changes dramatically. It seems pristine and new, with a clean white table-cloth set with fine china and ornate pewter goblets and service. The chairs, which had seem threadbare and rickety, now gleam with gilt and polish.[/spoiler]

jameswilliamogle
2008-01-09, 09:30 AM
Erelith

Erelith pushes forward to sit at the end of the table closest to where they entered (assuming there's not placecards). He also recognizes illusion when he sees it, and actively tries to disbelieve the falsity. He whispers to the group:

"Don't tell our host, but I don't think this is real..."

Will Save: [roll0]

GimliFett
2008-01-09, 10:02 AM
Oberon

With a nod and a bow to Lord Amber, Oberon turns and addresses the lights with a grin. "What, pray tell, are you, if I may be so bold?" he inquires.

Toliudar
2008-01-10, 12:06 AM
The lights dim slightly as Oberon approaches, and brighten at his question. A voice comes from the direction of the lights at his question. A cultured and aristocratic voice.

I am Charles d'Amberville. And you, sir?

Erelith heads towards the dinner table, and discovers that there are indeed placecards. The last of the aristocratic couples enter, and a quick head count show twelve couples. A similar count shows that there are twenty-nine places set at the table. As he gets closer, the wizard is somewhat startled to discover his name on the card at the head of the table, with the names of his four companions clustered around him. The couples seem to be ignoring him, but are chatting amongst themselves in a hub-bub of archaic language.

Erelith does indeed notice a faint shimmer to the aristocratic couples that suggests that they are either an illusion or insubstantial. Does he still wish to sit at the table? And if so, at his place, or another?

Jonah, with his keen ear for language, is able to make out a few of the words of the old form of the common tongue. They seem to be gossiping about goings on at court, and the latest foxhunt.

jameswilliamogle
2008-01-10, 08:05 AM
Erelith

Wearily, he approaches his placecard at the table, and sits down. A furrow on his soot-covered and sunburned brow indicates that there is something very suspicious about all of this...

GimliFett
2008-01-10, 01:02 PM
Oberon

Oberon bows with courtly grace. "Oberon of the Seelie Court, also of the House d'Stonemaison." he offers. "Pardon my ignorance, but how did you come to your present...situation? Status?" the faetouched adds with a disarming smile.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-10, 01:09 PM
Duran seems somewhat surprised that Oberon received the answer he did. He looks to Jean Louis and asks, "All th' assembled... ah... spectators are other members of th' d'Amberville line?"

Diarmuid
2008-01-11, 12:31 AM
Jonah

The bard did not really know what to make of all this. Whatever the current situation, there was some serious magic going on here. Floating light eye-things, impressive magical constructs...and now what he hoped was a very elaborate illusion.

With that in mind, he tried to focus his mind and will himself to see through the magic and bring the image of the dingy, empty room back.

North
2008-01-11, 03:39 AM
Tyz

The hell? Things just keep getting stranger and stranger....

Toliudar
2008-01-11, 11:00 AM
The voice that seems to go with the red eyes/lights is playful, and it's not clear whether the misunderstanding is deliberate.

Well, I come by my status by birthright, sir. The d'Ambervilles have always been of good blood.

The eyes seem to brighten slightly.

And you, sir, are an equally interesting specimen. How, if I may ask, did you come by your current status?

At Duran's question, two of the pairs of eyes seem to look at each other. Jean Louis glances back at the dwarf.

Well, did you think that we'd let just anyone participate? Now, if you're still hungry, you'd better hurry in.

Jonah, in the doorway, is able to get an image of the decayed room back in his eye, underneath the image of the finery. The two versions of reality seem to fade in and out of each other.

Erelith settles cautiously at the head of the table. His chair creaks, but then seems to become more solid. The slightly-translucent couples are settling at the table, still chatting gaily with each other.

GimliFett
2008-01-11, 11:29 AM
Oberon

The faetouched chuckles. "Well said, saer. Well said. Oberon sees that the others seem to be leaving and nods. "My status comes from a lost nobleman who happened upon a nymph. The relationship grew into love while the man lived amongst the fae, and the couple had a half-fae son. Eventually the nobleman became a member of the Court until a rival damaged his standing and had him returned to his own world."

Oberon sighed and seemed to fidget somewhat with the ring on his right hand. "My grandmother was the nymph, and their child my father. This ring was a momento of their union," he says as he holds the be-ringed hand out for the d'Amberville to see.

After a moment, Oberon brightens and smiles broadly. "I managed to track down the nobleman's family and prove my blood, and through a couple of misadventures we have arrived here, though we know not how. Does your family often have visitors, Lord Charles?"

Toliudar
2008-01-11, 11:44 AM
The lights come close to examine Oberon's ring, then back up again. There is a note of weariness in Charles' voice as he responds.

I thank you for your candour, sir. What you see is merely a projection of myself. We get so very few visitors...now...and we were eager to see you. Perhaps you'll come say hello after dinner? I'm in the north wing. For now, though, I must rest. My poor sister...

The lights wink out. As if taking their cue from him, the other lights begin to do so as well, one at a time. One seems to wink at Tyz before it is extinguished.

GimliFett
2008-01-11, 11:49 AM
Oberon

Though the manifestation seems to have departed, the faetouched warlock bows in acknowledgement. "A very interesting place indeed," he comments to anyone who will listen. Turning back to the others, he asks, "Shall we join the others for dinner?"

North
2008-01-11, 10:17 PM
Tyz

So wheres the beer? Tyz asks to no one in particular as he sits down at the table.

Diarmuid
2008-01-12, 12:20 AM
Jonah

The bard seemed lost in his thoughts as he moved closer to the table near Erelith.

Ok, so this is some kind of illusion. But from what I know of illusion, if you think it's real...it can be just as harmful, real, and deadly in the right application. Just have to keep reminding myself none of this is real, and I should be OK.

Shaking his head a bit, he is somewhat surprised to see a place card with his name on it. Picking it up, he runs his fingers over the material...marveling at how real it feels in his hands.

Deciding to throw caution to the wind, he sits and begins speaking quite candidly with Erelith, and loud enough for anyone else of their group in the room to hear.

"Well, I'm stumped as to what is going on. But, if you havent figured it out yet, this is all some kind of grand illusion. That there are place cards with our names would suggest some form of enchantment put upon us, so our minds are giving a familiar feel to the illusion to make it seem more real. Or we have been questioned or divined in some way so information about us could be discerned in the crafting of the illusion, still with the intent to make it all easier for our minds to accept as real."

Pulling his pack from his back, he removes a scroll case and rummages through the stack of papers in there. Selecting a few, he rolls them up tightly and sticks them behind his belt next to his dagger sheathe before capping and returning the case to his pack, which he rests on the ground next to his chair.

Silence, and Protection from Evil

Toliudar
2008-01-12, 12:49 PM
Jean Louis has now climbed into the boxing ring, and murmurs a word that seems to reactivate the magen. He seems to have completely lost interest in you.

Tyz finds his place at the table, and hops into the seat. The seat is initially uncomfortable, but seems to rise up slightly and even out as he settles in.

Jonah also gets comfortable next to Erelith, and prepares his papers as the guests begin to prepare themselves for the meal. His words, and indeed all three at the table, are completely ignored by the other guests.

Seeming to come from somewhere in the air above the table, a small silvery bell chimes three times in quick succession.

North
2008-01-13, 02:54 PM
Tyz

So your saying that there isnt actually going to be beer? the halfling summarizes. Damn... I could really use some about now.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-13, 06:23 PM
Duran looks up as he hears the bell, and quietly asks himself, "What was 'at?" After a moment of contemplation, he seems to snap back and remember Oberon's query. "Er... Aye, I suppose we might as well..." He still seems troubled by the entire situation.

Toliudar
2008-01-14, 03:46 AM
As the guests' conversation begins to die down to a quiet series of murmurs along the table, the bell rings out again, with two short peals.

[ooc: As I understand it, Erelith, Tyz and Jonah are sitting at the table, and Oberon and Duran are still in the room with the boxing ring. Seem accurate?]

GimliFett
2008-01-14, 11:10 AM
Oberon

Placing a comforting hand on the dwarf's shoulder, Oberon smiles."Oui, let's join the others. 'Twouldn't be appropriate to delay our host, non?" he replies. His non-chalance is palpable, it seems as if he's been in similar situations before, and given where and amongst whom he grew up, he might have.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-14, 11:13 AM
((OOC: Sounds right to me.))

Duran begins walking with Oberon to the dining hall. The bell's ringing seems to bother him even more the second time he hears it. He turns to his friend and says, "So, what do you think 'a this? We're obviously trapped 'ere, but we're bein' treated as guests instead a' prisoners... Th' whole think has me worried."

GimliFett
2008-01-14, 11:28 AM
Oberon

The faetouched nods, but his smile doesn't waver. "Just keep an eye out, pay attention to details. I'm sure things'll become clearer soon enough. In the meantime, play along -- as much as possible, anyway -- and enjoy the show." As the pair enter the dining room, Oberon looks around for anything that wishes to remain hidden.

See the Unseen is still active. :smallbiggrin:
Search: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Toliudar
2008-01-14, 11:55 AM
Duran and Oberon head through the door into the dining hall, which closes slowly behind them.

Oberon:
You are of course keenly attuned to illusions, and there are a number at play here. The decrepit and sumptuous versions of the table overlay one another, but in a way more complex than a standard illusion. It's more like the two levels of reality are co-existent. Slightly, but only slightly, analogous to your understanding of the inter-relationship between the fae-realm and the everyday world.

There are no invisible creatures or objects in the room.

GimliFett
2008-01-14, 12:10 PM
Oberon

As a degree of realization dawns upon him, Oberon leans down and whispers to Duran. "The food does have a degree of solidity to it. It's as if we were between two separate realities, instead of mere illusion." He straightens and heads to his companions, seeking a seat nearest them, when he notices his own placecard. Gracefully, he slides into his assigned spot.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-14, 07:32 PM
Oberon's words bring a yet-more-puzzled look to his face. "My first guess would have been an illusion, but between two world? How strange." He finds his place at the table and as he sits, he actively tries to disbelieve his situation, just to see what will happen.

Rolls:Will save to disbelieve: (1d20+7=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1461489/)

jameswilliamogle
2008-01-15, 10:05 AM
Erelith

Small fiery explosions pop and sizzle over his head...

Toliudar
2008-01-15, 12:33 PM
To all of you EXCEPT Tyz, the other guests, and the events below have a translucent quality that mark them as having an element of illusion - but aren't completely transparent, which may suggest that there is an elemetn of reality to them as well.

As Duran takes his seat, staring intently and suspiciously at his surroundings, the bell rings once more. Duran and Oberon settle in between a colleague and one of the ghostly guests.

The door you just came through opens, and a dozen servants in clean, pressed livery - like the rest of the clothing here, it is very old-fashioned - enter, carrying trays of food and wine. There are audible clunks as clear decanters of an deep yellow wine are placed around the table. Plates are set in front of all of the guests, the same dish. It seems to be a green salad of some kind, along with roasted button mushrooms.

There is what seems to be genuine warmth and steam rising from the mushrooms, and the smell is delicious - especially after several days on the road, eating Jonah's cooking.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-15, 08:49 PM
Looking down to the semi-translucent mushrooms, Duran is puzzled by the incredible realness of the sort-of-illusion. He gives a deep sign and says, "To worry about it seem useless for now..." He reaches for a mushroom on his plate with a mixture of helplessness and contemplation on his face and attempts to pick it up. Assuming his hand doesn't pass through it, and assuming it's not so hot to severely burn his mouth if he can actually touch it, he will attempt to eat it. (If there's any silverware around he'll attempt to use it instead.)

Toliudar
2008-01-15, 11:28 PM
There is elegant pewter silverware at each place setting. The mushrooms are hot, but not painfully so, and quite delicious.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-16, 04:44 PM
If Duran was confused before, he's hopelessly lost now. He says, "It's quite good, but... it's not real, is it? If this is an illusion, it's the most elaborate one ever wrought!"

North
2008-01-16, 05:27 PM
Tyz

The halfling sniffs at the mushrooms. Everything smells good so he digs in. To no one in particular he says Any chance of getting ale?

Diarmuid
2008-01-17, 01:50 AM
Jonah

Jonah is still somewhat uneasy about the whole thing. He had never really enjoyed mushrooms altogether, but the dish did smell good. So as to not appear insulting to whatever host was playing these games, he poked around the mushrooms and simply picked a few pieces of salad onto his fork and nibbled at them, all the while intoning to himself silently, "None of this is real, none of this is real..."

Toliudar
2008-01-17, 08:28 AM
Despite Jonah's intoning to the contrary, the salad is crisp and tasty.

Tyz' question seems to draw the attention of one of the servants, who glances back and shakes his head, a bit sadly. The servants are now departing the same way they came in.

The twenty-four guests are now raising a significant clatter with their enthusiastic eating. The conversations have regained their former fervour - the five men are having to raise their voices slightly to be heard by each other.

[Erelith, Oberon - what are you doing? Any further actions, anyone?]

GimliFett
2008-01-17, 04:05 PM
Oberon

The faetouched makes a show of eating his meal, but in actuality ingests nothing. After a few minutes, he leans towards the man next to him and inquires, "How long has it been since your family last entertained?"

Toliudar
2008-01-17, 11:02 PM
Jean Louis didn't come into the room with you. Would Oberon like to address the question to the male guest seated next to him at the table?

GimliFett
2008-01-18, 09:00 AM
OOC: Ayup, Toli. Edit forthcoming... :smallbiggrin: It's the "[ ]"

Toliudar
2008-01-20, 05:53 AM
The man next to Oberon completely ignores him. And not in a "I outrank you so much that I can barely spare you the time to tell you how much I outrank you" way, but in a "You're completely outside of my perception" way.

North
2008-01-20, 02:17 PM
Tyz

Tyz belches loudly after downing a wine glass. As much as I like free food, whats going on here the halfling calls out.

GimliFett
2008-01-21, 12:34 PM
Oberon

Face slightly flushed from irritation at being ignored, the faetouched sniffs and turns to Duran. "It seems not all of the guests exist in the same reality, I guess."

Diarmuid
2008-01-21, 02:49 PM
Jonah

The bard finds himself more and more impressed with whatever power is capable of creating such grand and elaborate illusions. Though more and more he considers all of this being a grand dream they are all being forced to share a more plausible explanation.

With an idea, he begins to try to listen in on some of the ghostly conversations. Perhaps whoever was behind this would leave some kind of clue by the languages used or the topics discussed that he could use to glean more information about what's going on.

[roll0]

If he cannot understand what they are saying, he will cast Comprehend Languages.

Toliudar
2008-01-23, 10:55 AM
Erelith tucks into the salad and mushrooms, finishing his plate and washing it down with a bit of wine.

Jonah is able to determine from a few stray names that the topics of conversation tend to revolve around the Glantri court some 100 years ago. No more current references are heard. There's very little of large-scale politics - mostly the pettiness of who is "in" and "out" at court.

As servants come to clear the first course, all but Oberon begin to feel a bit woozy, but this clears up after a moment. A second set of servants arrive with a plate of roast beef with hearty dark bread and green beans, served with pitchers of cold lager.

Jonah: Your dexterity goes up by 2, and your strength down by 2.
Tyz: You are cured up to your full hit points.
Duran: Give me a fortitude save vs poison.
Erelith: Your dexterity goes up by 2, and your charisma goes down by 1.

GimliFett
2008-01-23, 01:23 PM
Oberon

Oberon again continues the pretext of eating. He keeps his eyes vigilant, observing the comings and goings as well as how his companions are faring. "Wonderful meal, isn't it?" he inquires of his friends.

North
2008-01-23, 05:21 PM
Tyz

Mmm...Lager...... The halfing digs into the meat and bread and washes it all down thoroughly with lager.

Toliudar
2008-01-24, 07:03 PM
The beer is frosty-cold and slides down invitingly.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-24, 08:54 PM
oshi:Fort Save: 1d20+9=18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1472161/), and that includes the dwarven bonus. Not bad...

Toliudar
2008-01-24, 10:08 PM
Duran:

Duran feels a bit nauseous from the mushrooms, but as they have time to digest, feels all the better for having eaten them. From now on, he has a permanent +2 circumstance bonus to saving throws versus poisons.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-25, 11:26 AM
As the nausea hits him, Duran quickly drops the silverware and leans back in his chair, trying not to be sick. After a moment, he considers the possibility that being sick is exactly what he needs to do, but by this time the feeling has passed. He turns to Oberon and says, "In hindsight, eating that was not wise..."

OOC:How close are we? If we're all in a group, I'd like to try to get some discrete messages to the others, but I'm not sure if we're even on the same side of the table.

GimliFett
2008-01-25, 11:33 AM
Oberon

The faetouched winks at his friend and nods towards his own plate. "That is why I am not eating or drinking, Duran Duran. Merely making the pretense," he whispers conspiratorially. "Until I have a better idea of why we're here, I'm not taking any chances, non mon ami?"

Toliudar
2008-01-25, 04:38 PM
The five are all down at one end of the table, with Erelith at the head (or foot) of the table, and the others to either side of him. It's not difficult for Duran to speak fairly discreetly to the others. As far as he can tell, none of the other guests are hearing or seeing them anyway, although the waiters are noting and serving them.

North
2008-01-25, 07:46 PM
Tyz

Really? This stuff tastes great, you gonna finish that. Not waiting for an answer the halfling reaches across and grabs Oberons lager and downs it in one fell swoop.

Diarmuid
2008-01-26, 11:02 AM
Jonah

The bard swoons a bit in his chair, and places his palm down on the table to steady himself. He is unsure of what has happened, but he realises that his armor is weighing more heavily on him than before.

Not bothering with any pretenses, he pushes his plate away from him and pushes his chair back from the table, though he remains seated. He doesnt bother keeping his voice down as the illusory guests dont seem to be taken any note of them at all,

[color=blue]"There is indeed some foul magic afoot here, I would suggest refraining from consuming anything else."

The strange change in his body makes him a bit nervous, and nervousness led to rashness. With a quick arcane gesture and a few words of power, he attempts to interrupt on of the other guests by moving their plate away from them.

Cast Mage Hand and push someone's plate away as they are reaching for food.

Toliudar
2008-01-26, 01:46 PM
Oberon's lager goes as smoothly down Tyz' throat as well as his first did.

Jonah's hands flare briefly with magical power. He gestures towards the plates of the guest next to him, but finds nothing tangible for his mental "hand" to touch. He has better luck when he turns his attention to Erelith's plate, pushing it away from the wizard's eager knife and fork after several bites.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-26, 03:56 PM
Not being one to take chances, Duran leans forward and speaks quietly in spite of the fact that none of the other 'guests' at the table seem to notice them. "I've not readied it today, but starting tomorrow, I'll be preparing a blessing that allows me to create food for us. 'Tis straight from the Soulforger, so unless the magic of this place is strong enough to interfere with the might of the gods themselves, it'll be safe to eat."

North
2008-01-26, 05:30 PM
Tyz

The halfling looks at the others confused. But its so tasty!

Toliudar
2008-01-27, 02:44 AM
DM Action:

Erelith reaches out and seizes one final forkful of the roast beef before Jonah's spell pushes it out of reach. He jams it into his mouth, chewing cheerfully.

Absolutely. It's a bit underspiced for my tastes, but not everyone can handle the heat.

As he chews and swallows, Erelith beams happily. Servants appear again at the doors, and move quickly to clear plates as the main course finishes. Erelith's eyes glance briefly at Oberon, and he murmurs.

Oh. I hadn't thought of that.

Erelith pitches forward, his head banging onto the table, just as a nimble servant removes the remnants of his meal, and his plate from the centre of the table. Other servants are removing other plates at the same time.

North, give me a fortitude and a will save for Tyz.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-27, 02:00 PM
"<Moradin's Beard!>" Duran shouts in Dwarven, quickly moving to Erelith's side and lifting him off the table, checking to make sure he is still breathing as he goes.

North
2008-01-27, 05:13 PM
Tyz

Not every one can handle their beer. Mmmmm.....beer.

Fort Save = 15 Will Save = 9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1474312/)

Toliudar
2008-01-27, 08:59 PM
Erelith's breathing is shallow but steady. It seems his body has gone entirely limp.

Tyz:
You feel completely full, and also like the world is a beautiful, warm and magical place. In short, you're very drunk. I'll let you decide whether you're a happy drunk, or...

North
2008-01-28, 12:37 AM
Tyz

Sho' whash the plan. As muscch as I likes a good meal. Whatsh are we goin' do bout it.... The halfling eloquently states. Damns magishses.

GimliFett
2008-01-28, 09:13 AM
Oberon

Relieved that Ereltih breathed, but concerned about the man's health Oberon shows uncharacteristic irritation. "Fool pyromancer! Listen next time!" he whispers harshly. Slowly raising a hand to his face to cover it, Oberon scowls at the halfling. "Careful little one. We don't know all of the player's here," he whispers.

The faetouched looks at his cousin and the dwarf. "Well, it seems we are the only ones fit to make decisions at the moment. Shall I see if we can get Erelith a room?"

North
2008-01-28, 02:14 PM
Tyz

Lisshle one! Is shick and tired of being called lishle! Firsht the guysh back theres nows you toosh? I washnt too lisshle t' beatsh hish ...thing. Bassshh! My shword biggr en yourshs ish. the hafling hiccups, Tyz leans in close to the others, and whispers conspiratorally Thash really good beer.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-28, 04:45 PM
Duran places a hand over his face and nods to Oberon, sending an annoyed look at Tyz. "While you see to that, I'll see if I can figure out what's wrong with him..."

Duran casts Detect Magic and examines Erelith. If there is a magical aura about him (excluding this equipment, of course), and it is of faint or moderate strength, he will cast Dispel Magic on him.

Toliudar
2008-01-29, 09:17 AM
There is a faint aura of conjuration about Erelith, but Duran knows from experience that he normally has this aura. There is a lingering aura of illusion, but it's faint, and fading fast. Duran's best guess (taking ten on a heal check) would be poison.

As the four gather around their unconscious colleague, the scene begins to shift again. The other guests have finished their meals, and are reforming into couples for a procession out towards the double doors, which swing open at their approach. Their laughter and conversation, heedless of the newcomers, forms a kind of raucous music in the room. The servants have now disappeared as well, and slowly, the image of the sumptuous feast - even the very real-seeming implements the five just used - fade back to the wrack of a space they saw when they first opened the door. The chair begins to creak under Jonah's weight, and he must quickly stand to avoid tumbling to the ground.

GimliFett
2008-01-29, 10:32 AM
Oberon

The faetouched hunches slightly, lowering his tall profile. Energy dances at his fingertips as he looks around. "And I was just about to ask our host for a room for Erelith," Oberon comments dryly. "Duran Duran? Tyz? Can you carry him till we find a suitable location to place him?"

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-29, 12:25 PM
Duran nods. "Aye, I suppose there's nothing else to do with 'im. It seems he's fallen victim to poison, and I've not the power to cleanse that from him yet. I knew I should have brought a scroll for that..." He sighs and kneels down to take Erelith's arms.

North
2008-01-29, 06:26 PM
Tyz

Hah! Sursh I will. Why dont we jesh take him backs to the firssh room we were at? The halfling picks up Erelith arms tucks them under his armpits and starts dragging him towards the room they had woke up in.

Diarmuid
2008-01-31, 12:01 AM
Jonah

The bard pipes in with his idea, though he still feels a little strange himself.

"As unlikely as it may be, Tyz...in his current state may have the best idea. If Jean-Louis is still in the room we met him in, he may know what has happened to Erelith and perhaps how to counter the effects."

As he gathers his things and begins heading out of the room, you notice his shoulders seem to be sagging under the weight of his pack and his equipment much more so than normal. His stride is shorter and more labored for sure.

Am now at a medium load, movement reduced to 20

Toliudar
2008-01-31, 10:54 AM
The four work to get Erelith's limp form back into the room with the boxing ring. There, Jean-Louis is still in the ring, where he is now bobs and spars with a very active Magen. He barely glances over at the group as they come through the door.

Ah. Your friend, he has had too much wine at dinner?

GimliFett
2008-01-31, 11:22 AM
Oberon

"You could say that. More truth would be to say something he ate or drank did not agree with him," the faetouched offers with a knowing smirk. "Perhaps you could direct us to a room for him, please?"

Toliudar
2008-01-31, 11:48 AM
Stop!

At Jean-Louis' command, the boxer freezes in mid-jab. The d'Amberville strolls to the edge of the ring to address Oberon.

Hmm. Most rooms have been, er, claimed in one way or another. You are welcome to leave him here, as you wish, but do not expect me to waste my time looking after some drooling man who cannot hold his liquor. I believe there are a couple of empty chambers in the east wing. I go there so seldom now...

Clearly losing interest in the conversation, he begins to walk back to the boxer.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-31, 12:30 PM
Duran sighs and says, "I suppose that will work." He begins looking around for something that looks like a way to the east wing.

North
2008-01-31, 02:18 PM
Tyz

The halfling continues dragging Erilith towards their destination. About as gently as a drunk halfling barbarian can.

Toliudar
2008-01-31, 10:36 PM
There are double doors and a single door in the dining hall that the group has not opened, and the carpet-covered hallway continued on past the door that you initially went through to enter the boxing match room. Something like this:

|==|----------|-----==----|
|...|..............|.................|
|...=..Boxing ..=..Dining Hall.=
|...|....Ring....|.................|
|==|----------|------------
|........|
|........|
|.Entry|
|........|
|........|
|-==--|

= Door

GimliFett
2008-02-01, 02:29 PM
Oberon

With an irritated look on his face, the faetouched looks at his friends. "Any idea which way east is in this place?" he asks with a frown.

Toliudar
2008-02-01, 05:22 PM
Duran's keen underground senses might, in less confusing circumstances, given him some clue as to what direction was which, but in this strange topsy-turvy place, he had no clue.

Jonah HAD noticed that, when Jean-Louis had said "East Wing", he had jerked his head a bit, indicating the direction of the dining room.

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-01, 06:49 PM
Duran continues looking around helplessly for a moment after Oberon's question, but at last he gives up and shakes his head. "Any sense of direction I might've had is worthless here," he says with a low tone, trying to keep the conversation audible to his friends alone. "I'm not even sure any of this is real, much less which way is which."

North
2008-02-01, 07:27 PM
Tyz

Welllsh ish nothin here ish real? Lesh jish leave him here fr now. Ish all the shame rish? Tyz drops the unconcious Erilith in the corner of the hallway room. We can alwaysh gesh him if we finsh a better shpot rish? And thish might even be the exsish. Proshblem sholved! Lesh go eshplore! The barbarian begins weaving his way down the hallway to the new door.

OOC: Translations just in case
Well if nothing in here is real, lets just leave him here for now. Its all the same right. We can always get him if we fins a better spot right? And this might even be the exit. Problem Solved! Lets go explore.

Toliudar
2008-02-06, 10:57 AM
Apologies. I thought someone else would chime in, and then lost track.

Having dropped off his unconscious comrade, Tyz pushes open one of the pair of massive, ornately gilt doors at the far end of the hallway, to reveal...another hallway. This one runs to his right - to his left, there is a lovely gilt end table with a lantern and some empty wine glasses, below a massive multi-paned window showing the roiling grey fog beyond.

The passage to the right is huge - easily 30' wide, with a ten feet wide red carpet down the middle, impeccably clean. Lanterns in sconces every twenty feet or so give a simple aura of elegance to the long long passage.

Opposite Tyz in the passage is a simple single door, painted to resemble the walls but with a handle clearly showing. About a hundred feet down the passage, there are two single doors to the left, both highly decorated. Just beyond those two doors, the ceiling dips to half it's height - still plenty of room for all to pass under, but strange nonetheless.

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-07, 04:52 AM
Duran moves behind Tyz and looks through the hallway with a confuses expression. "The architecture of this place is so... strange." He enters the hallway slowly, as if expecting something to attack him (because he is).

GimliFett
2008-02-07, 09:07 AM
Oberon

"That would be an understatement, Duran Duran,", Oberon comments dryly with a nod and a slight smile. He follows behind the dwarf, eyes scanning.

See the Unseen still active.

North
2008-02-07, 02:53 PM
Tyz

Yesh. Ish a bit crazy here, aint it. Supposesh that means we cant loot as much? Tyz says as he lurches into the hall. Hmmmf the big door first then? Big door. Big room right?

Diarmuid
2008-02-07, 04:04 PM
Jonah

Still not feeling entirely well after the "meal", Jonah has been following behind the party looking around, longing for something that seemed "real" and/or "familiar".

Though he was concerned at leaving someone behind, he knew he certainly wouldnt be much help in bringing him along.

Peering through the doors, he looks right and left and merely shrugs, pointing directly across to the door in front of them,

"That one seems as good as any at this point."

Not really sure why, he draws his long sword from its sheathe and takes a measure of comfort from it's familiar feel in his hand, though the heft seems off and it feels heavier to his arm than normal.

Toliudar
2008-02-08, 02:37 PM
The four men stand in the massive hallway, their keen senses alert. There is a faint whisper of a breeze floating from behind them down to the far side of the hallway, but all is otherwise silent.

Nothing showing up on Oberon's Invisi-Dar.

Just to clarify, the three doors you can see - all on the left hand side - are all about the same size. The closest door is a little less obtrusive, because it's painted to blend in with the wall, but they're all about 7-8 feet high and 3-5 feet wide - pretty standard for more elegant homes of the time.

GimliFett
2008-02-08, 04:30 PM
Oberon

With a thin smile, Oberon nods to the halfling. "Try knocking first, Tyz. It's best to utilize some manners, non?"

North
2008-02-08, 04:56 PM
Tyz

Shure. Ill be verysh polite. Tyz walks over and bangs bodily into the door.

*Bang*

Tyz notices Jonahs sword out. Thash a good idea toosh. Shafety firsh. Tyz grabs his own blade and raps on the door with it. Helllllloooooo? Ish anyone in theres?

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-08, 06:49 PM
Duran winces a bit at Tyz's yelling. He puts his hand on the hilt of his warhammer nervously.

North
2008-02-11, 02:43 PM
Tyz

Wellsh I dont think anyonesh home. Tyz opens the door and looks inside.

Toliudar
2008-02-12, 02:26 AM
The door opens with a push, sticking only a little. Beyond is a large and sumptuous bedchamber. A pair of nightstands with gold candelabra flank a massive bed on the right-side wall, with silk sheets and a sumptuous coverlet. The far wall has a stout wardrobe and footlocker, and a small window on the left side shows more of the grey fog.

A swarthy and barrel-chested man has apparently just risen from the bed at Tyz' knock, and he is startled but smiling. He speaks with a strange and archaic accent.

Good evening, gentlemen! How may I help you?

Spot checks, please. Oberon and Jonah would both recognize his accent as being related to that of the fae.

GimliFett
2008-02-12, 10:02 AM
Oberon

The faetouched smiles warmly. "Sorry to disturb you cousin. We're looking for an empty room in which to place our inebriated friend," the words come easily to the warlock's lips. "I'd not have expected to find one of the fey here, though I suppose I should not be surprised, non?" he inquires.

Spot: [roll0]

Toliudar
2008-02-12, 11:41 AM
The stocky man gestures back to the bed with a sweeping gesture. At Oberon's reference, he switches briefly to the Sylvan tongue.

I was going to be up and about myself shortly. I'd be happy to let him rest here.

Seeing a few other blank faces, he adds in Common:

If your little friend is too drunk, he is welcome to sleep here.

GimliFett
2008-02-12, 12:01 PM
Oberon

Hiding his smile with a nearly imperceptable shake of his head, Oberon replies. "Tyz is better off accompanying us. We have another friend who is far worse off than this one." The warlock looks back at Tyz and Duran. "Care to bring Erelith here to rest?" he asks.

North
2008-02-12, 02:42 PM
Tyz

Too drunksh? Hah thish ish nothing compard to the oldsh daysh. Tyz looks back down the hall. Yeash Ill grabsh the lightweightsh. the barbarian goes back to retrieve their passed out companion.

Spot (1d20-1=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1490758/)

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-12, 03:35 PM
"Aye..." Duran releases the grip on his warhammer upon the door being opened and not being attacked. In response to Oberon's words, he nods and says, "We'll be right back..."

Rolls:Spot: (1d20+3=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1490791/)

Toliudar
2008-02-13, 01:29 AM
Oberon and Duran:

As the man turns to offer his bed, you notice a strange bulge at the base of his spine. When he turns back and smiles, you notice that several of the back teeth are considerably longer than you would expect. And pointier.

As Tyz and Duran head out, the man nods and folds his arms across his chest. He speaks further with Oberon.

So, what brings you to our fair, if somewhat out of the way, home?

GimliFett
2008-02-13, 09:40 AM
Oberon

"To be honest, we don't know. We just seemed to arrive without really knowing how, or why for that matter," Oberon adds as he looks at the man. "Perhaps you could shed some light on the situation for me? It's not like we slept in a fairy circle or anything," the faetouched chuckles.

Diarmuid
2008-02-13, 10:20 AM
Jonah

Feeling somewhat foolish at having bared steel when this man clearly just rose from sleeping, Jonah replaces his sword in it's sheathe.

[roll0]

"Well, none that we were aware of. Well met good sir, I am Jonah, and this is Oberon. Are you also part of the d'Amberville family? We have met Jean-Louis thus far and his interesting boxing ring."

Letting his eyes scan the room, he again sees the strange fog through the window and hopes to glean some information about it from this large man,

"We've come to notice that you have some strange weather in these parts. Where we are from, the climate is much clearer this time of year."

Toliudar
2008-02-13, 04:28 PM
Jonah has not noticed the bump or the fangs.

The man relaxes, and smiles tightly.

I am not so much a member of the family as a guest. Has Jean-Louis gotten that mechanical boxing man working any better now?

As for the weather this time of year...well, to be honest, I have no idea what season it is for you. Haven't seen anything but this fog for...well, a long time.

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-14, 12:42 PM
As Duran walks with Tyz, he ponders the implications of what he'd noticed. After a moment, he decided informing the rather violent halfling of this would probably be unwise and simply sees to their unconscious comrade silently.

GimliFett
2008-02-14, 12:46 PM
Oberon

The faetouched raises a puzzled eyebrow. "How long have you been here?" he inquires.

"As far as the boxing man goes, yes, it seemed to work, though it lost a match to Tyz a short time ago. On a technicality, I think. Jean-Louis was non-plussed," Oberon adds with a chuckle. "Would you mind showing us around once our friends return?"

Toliudar
2008-02-16, 06:45 PM
Tyz and Duran trot off to retrieve Erelith.

The stout man shrugs at Oberon's first question.

I know that I occasionally hunger, and occasionally grow weary. The family gets crazier and crazier. There is no sun, no season to measure more. Dinner is served when you sit at the table - sometimes. Other times, not at all.

Tyz is...the small drunkard? Well, good on him for giving Jean Louis a taste of humility. He could use it.

He seems to become a bit fearful at the request to show the newcomers around, and glances briefly towards the wardrobe.

I can take you as far as the garden, I suppose. I'm not sure that I'm entirely welcome there, or beyond. Do you have a destination in mind?

Duran and Tyz manage to bring the still-slumped form of Erelith back to the chamber. The stout man steps confidently forward, and takes the wizard's form into his arms with surprising gentleness. He lays the body out on the bed, and turns back to the four men. He extends a hand, pointing behind them.

Where would you like to go?

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-17, 02:07 AM
Duran seems momentarily confused by the man's query, and says, "Home would be nice, actually. Other than that, we've no idea what is where and which is which."

Toliudar
2008-02-17, 09:12 AM
The man ushers you out of the room, closing the door gently behind. He smiles, and now all four men see that his teeth form sharp fangs.

Well, further along and off to the right, is the cats' study. Off to the left, there's Janet's room, the kitchen, and Richard's chamber. I'm sure Janet would welcome your company, but Richard can be a bit more standoffish. And at the far end of the hall, is the garden entrance. Simple, yes?

North
2008-02-17, 01:07 PM
Tyz

Wait... How doesh a cat sthudy? Tyz's brow furls in puzzlement.

Toliudar
2008-02-17, 01:40 PM
The man replies with a smile.

Ordinarily, I'd suggest that they'd do it only on their own time, in patches of sunlight. These ones, though...never struck me as the studious type at all. It's been some time since I went in there, and I'm not eager to repeat the experience. They are...playful.

North
2008-02-17, 02:28 PM
Tyz

The halfling shrugs and sits down. Sho were do you guysh wants to go? Tyz ponders for another moment. Wait, theresh no roomsh with free treshure ish there?

Toliudar
2008-02-17, 02:52 PM
The stocky man smiles even more broadly.

Not as far as I know, but I'm sure that there are many places in this castle I haven't gone.

Tyz is starting to feel the effects of dinner subside.

Tyz:
For the next little while, consider it a mild inebriation - a couple drinks in quick sequence for most people. Mechanically, equivalent to Shaken (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#shaken).

All:
Foobar, an excellent player I'm playing alongside in another game, has expressed interest in joining. He's tentatively crafted a character I could introduce along the way - there's a few options coming up. Any concerns? I figured we could use a fifth.

Diarmuid
2008-02-18, 04:30 PM
Jonah

The bard hides any reaction at noticing the large man's teeth. He is a bit reluctant to leave the wizard, but this man has been much more welcoming that Jean-Louis to this point and he decides this may be the lesser of two evils.

After brief consideration, he offers a course of action,

"I wouldnt mind seeing the gardens, and then it might be good to at least meet the other members of the family. Janet sounded like a good starting place. Now that I think on it....for that matter, we have not been properly introduced as of yet. You have our names, but in that you have us at the disadvantage."

He offers a coy smile, while talking,

"As you are not a member of the family, I cannot simply call you Master d'Amberville, how would you prefer to be called?"

[roll0]

As he talks, he gestures for the large man to lead on and follows close behind him.

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-18, 05:17 PM
As Jonah speaks, Duran simply listens, and at the end of explaining his plan, the dwarf simply nods and says, "'Tis good enough for me, I suppose..." He still looks rather worried.

Toliudar
2008-02-20, 02:10 AM
Taking the smooth-talking Jonah as the leader of the group, the man smiles and almost instinctively begins leading the group down the long, long hallway.

My name? It's been so long. Fado. Fado Kreutz. But you can call me Fado.

As the group passes the first door to the left, it's not difficult to make out a voice speaking - perhaps in common, the words aren't clear. A low, booming voice. Fado ignores it and keeps walking. There is no noise at the second door.

The passage extends under the place where the ceiling dips down - for about a 20' stretch, after which the ceiling jumps back up again. Ahead, perhaps a hundred feet beyond the dip in the ceiling, there are ornate and obvious single doors on either side of the corridor. In the middle of the wall at the far end of the corridor, the red carpeting ends in a massive single door, with no obvious lock.

Fado points to the door on his left.

Never saw anyone go out of or come into that room. Heard some nasty noises upon a time or two, though.

He gestures to the door on his right.

That's the cats' study.

And directs the others' attentions to the central door.

And that leads out into the garden.

He smiles again, and bows slightly.

Again, welcome, and I hope that I shall see you again. I suppose I should go clean up for my own dinner. If you'll excuse me.

Fado begins walking back down the long, long hallway.

North
2008-02-20, 04:14 PM
Tyz

Ach my heads hurting. I think I shouldsh go find more beer to fix it. The halfling starts staring in the direction of the dining room.

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-23, 08:00 PM
Duran nods as Fado leaves and says, "Our thanks for your guidance." As the man leaves, he looks to Tyz as he walks away and says, "We've already been to the dining halls... Perhaps we should look to the garden first?"

North
2008-02-23, 08:43 PM
Tyz

Ehh whatever.... You call it. I have a headache. Tyz shakes his head. I just want to beat this headache out on somethin....

Toliudar
2008-02-26, 10:46 AM
Ho-kay, folks. If the pace or nature of the adventure isn't working for you, here's a good chance to say something. Things DO start to make sense, I promise! Well, as much as they did in AD&D. And I do have a fifth ready to join in, to help share in the storytelling. Are we good to continue? Is there something I could be doing differently to make this more fun?

GimliFett
2008-02-26, 11:19 AM
Oberon

The faetouched nods at the dwarf's suggestion. "I think the garden would be a nice spot to start, yes."

Sorry. Lost track... Toli, mind doin' a Sense Motive for me against the tour guide? I wanna make sure he's not gonna go snack on Erelith. :smallbiggrin:

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-26, 12:23 PM
Duran nods at the other two and approaches the door Fado had indicated as leading to the door, grasps the knob, and slowly opens the door.

It's always slow as the DM opens the game up to the players after being more guided for a while; we always have to decide what to do. I wouldn't be discouraged at a slow pace right now.

North
2008-02-26, 06:02 PM
Tyz

Tyz grumbles following suit. What kind of treasure are we gonna find in garden? A gilded gnome maybe.

Re: The new player. If possible Id like to just say he's already known to us and filled in on whats happening. So we can skip the whole "getting to know each other, etc" phase.

Toliudar
2008-02-26, 06:26 PM
Oberon definitely feels like Fado is hiding something, and has a dark side.

Duran manages to haul the heavy door open, and is greeted with a puff of air that is remarkably fresh and redolent of life.

Beyond is a pale twilight, what seems like a massive octagonal courtyard, with a series of thick and not entirely transparent glass domes overhead. Above the domes is a muted sunlight and blue sky.

Inside the courtyard, easily 200' feet on each side, is a dense forest. Some show signs of careful planting in rows, and signs of cultivation, while others have just as clearly grown up wild amongst the others. The oldest and straightest of the trees spring up more than 80', and still fall well short of the glass domes.

Within the trees, lush grasses, flowers, vines and bushes intermingle, creating a dense carpet and thickets. The section of forest to the men's right slopes upwards to a hillock. Ahead, glinting through the trees to the right, a stream can be both heard and glimpsed.

A broad and well-cared-for path winds its way from the doorway Duran stands in, into the forest. The path goes fairly straight for a while before darting off to the left, and out of view.

Diarmuid
2008-02-27, 11:41 AM
Jonah

The bard's melancholy seems to drain away a bit as he sees the bright blue sky overhead.

"Oh man, that's a sight for sore eyes!!"

Relief and excitement are evident as he speaks. Walking into the garden, he extends his hands, lifts his face to the sky, and takes in the fresh air greedily.

"Ok, now we just have to figure out how to get up to the dome and get to the outside to figure out where the heck we are"

Walking along the wall they have just come in through, he tries to make his way to the glass edge to get a better idea on this greenhouse.

Toliudar
2008-02-27, 12:47 PM
Jonah walks forward into the garden/forest. Turning, he can see that the wall is masonry and stone, between forty and fifty feet high, with the dome coming down just out of view on the roof. There are trees close to the edge of the roof on both sides, from which he might be able to leap to the roof.

taking the perspective of someone looking into the garden from the passage, would he like to walk along the wall to the right - there is a stand of tall trees there - or to the left - where there is a small hill, meaning that the climb to the roof may be shorter?

North
2008-02-27, 01:33 PM
Tyz

Tyz follows the group grumbling something about gnomes and silverware.

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-27, 05:26 PM
Duran walks in behind them, visibly taking solace in the new surroundings. At Jonah's suggestion, he says, "I doubt I'll be able to make such a climb in this armor..."

Diarmuid
2008-02-28, 02:30 PM
Towards the hill, and hopefully a shorter climb.

Toliudar
2008-02-29, 05:28 AM
As Jonah, Tyz and Duran trudge towards the hill, some sixty feet different, Oberon holds back, glancing back at the departing figure of Fado. The way through the dense foliage is difficult, but they make decent headway. When Jonah gets about halfway to the hillock, there is a sound like splitting rock, and a great split appears in the side of the hill. From inside emerge various snarling and baying sounds, and the rest of the garden has gone from being subdued to being quite silent.

Jonah is about 30' from the split in the hill, with Duran and Tyz right behind him. Oberon is another 30' behind them. The general woods area, which start about 10' away from the door and include anywhere this side of the path, are considered difficult terrain.

Initiative and actions, if you please.

GimliFett
2008-02-29, 09:01 AM
Oberon

As the sounds of baying strikes the faetouched's ears he swears softly.
"I knew something wasn't right. Trust your instincts, dammit!" he mutters to himself. Keeping an eye ahead on whatever is coming, Oberon splits his attention between forward and backward. If they can handle this, I'll go check on Erelith and Fado. Otherwise, we'll have to work fast here.

Initiative: [roll0] -- Meh... :smallannoyed:
How far back from the entrance to the garden is Fado's room?

Toliudar
2008-02-29, 10:04 AM
The entire length of the corridor is several hundred feet, and his room is at the very far end. He didn't go all the way to the end with you - he is perhaps 150' away from you now, and moving along at a normal walking speed.

GimliFett
2008-02-29, 10:08 AM
Oberon

Oberon whistles shrilly to draw the retreating man's attention.

Thanks, Toli. Basically, I'm holding my action. Is the whistle allowable as a free action?
Also, don't forget I have See the Unseen and Sylvan Step (+10 land speed, trackless step, woodland stride) active at the moment.

Diarmuid
2008-02-29, 10:15 AM
Jonah

The bard is surpised as the hill splits open and the sounds begin assaulting them.

[roll0]

Edit - Actions kinda depend on what happens before his initiative. If nothing of note really happens, he will cast Invisibility and draw his longsword while moving 20' back the way they came.

Also, I will be on vacation 3/3 - 3/10

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-29, 11:20 AM
Initiative: Initiative: (1d20=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1511644/)

Caught off guard, Duran takes some time to react. Should everyone still be relatively whole at his turn, he will cast Magic Weapon (Domain slot) on his hammer after he draws it. ((If not, I'll make another post with adjusted actions.))

North
2008-02-29, 05:43 PM
Tyz

Finshally shom fun! Tyz draws his sword and looks around. Sho wheresh are they?

Initiative (1d20+3=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1512020/)

Toliudar
2008-03-01, 12:33 AM
Leaping forward out of the great tear in the hillside is majestic black stag. A vaguely humanoid figure rides the stag - a large, muscular figure with the head and hoofs of a black goat, with glowing red eyes. The majestic figure carries a massive black metal mace, and uncharacteristically sharp teeth protrude from his scowling mouth. The figure is dressed in plain leather armour, and a massive horn hangs at his side. Emerging at the mouth of the tear, behind the stag, are a pair of canine (or possibly lupine) looking humanoids, dressed in the same armour and holding swords, clinging to the backs of massive, snarling wolves.

The goat man looks at the four of you. There is no sense that he is pleased with what he sees.

Oberon manages to whistle down the hall to Fado, who turns to wave cheerfully, but who keeps walking.

Order of actions, then:

Tyz
Jonah
Oberon
Duran
Goat man and wolf boys

Crappy attempt at a map:

|
|
|....|...|
|...W W
|.....GG
|.....GG
|
|
|
|
|....J
|.......T
|...D
|---------------
\O
|-------------
|....................\

W = Wolf-boy on wolf
GG
GG = Goat-headed man
J = Jonah
T = Tyz
D = Duran
O = Oberon
Horizontal dashes - edge of the path

Goat man is at the base of the hillock, with the wolf-riders slightly up-slope from him.

Figured that, now that you had more specific information, I'd give you a chance to repost round 1 actions. Sorry for any confusion.

Proven_Paradox
2008-03-01, 01:00 PM
Duran shouts over his shoulder at Oberon. "Trouble! Over here!" His actions remain unchanged.

GimliFett
2008-03-02, 11:46 AM
OberonHP: 22/22 AC: 18, t 13, ff 15; DR 2/cold iron

"Of course Duran Duran. Best to finish this quickly, non?" Oberon comments as he nods to the dwarf. Practically gliding over the terrain, the faetouched moves into the garden, just beside the spot the halfling had previously occupied. Violet energy coalesces at his fingertips as the warlock aims eldritch energy at the goat-headed being.

I may amend this based on Tyz and Jonah's actions. Maybe moving forward more and maybe attacking the Wolf-boys.
I should be within 30' of Goat-Head. Point Blank Shot, yay!
Attack: [roll0]
Crit?: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Active Effects: See the Unseen; Sylvan Step (+10 land speed, trackless step, woodland stride).

Diarmuid
2008-03-02, 12:13 PM
Jonah
Hit Point: 36/36
Armor Class: 18 Touch: 13 Flat-Footed: 15

Gaping slightly at the sight that has presented itself in front of him, Jonah decides on a defensively minded course of action.

Chanting briefly, he weaves his hand through the air and when he is finished, he vanishes from sight.

Cast Invisibility

Once safely hidden from sight, the bard slips to the rear of the group behind Duran and Tyz.

Move 20' south (or down, have no real idea which way is south at this point)

Since I will be gone for the next week or so, Jonah's plan at this point is to cast Inspirational Boost next round and begin singing to Inspire Courage (bonuses of +2 hit/dmg). That's going to be his main plan. If someone gets hurt, he will move to heal them.

If he feels the need to get involved in the fight, he will use his scroll of levitate to get up into the air and begin shooting with his crossbow.

Motivations at this point are a lack of desire to get into melee considering he is feeling like his strength has been sapped away from him.

If the fecal matter really hits the fan, he will cast Blindness (DC 15) on whatever is kicking people's asses the most.

North
2008-03-02, 07:32 PM
Tyz
HP 59/59
AC 23 Touch 17 Flat-Footed 18

The halfling charges forward and whips his sword in a heavy swipe across the stags legss. Get down heresh and fightsh on the groundsh!

Attack! (1d20+11-2+2=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1513929/)Damage (1d10+7=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1513935/)
-2 from Shaken, +2 from Charge
Active Effects RAGE!

Toliudar
2008-03-02, 08:34 PM
The effects of Tyz' rage sweep the remainder of the wine's effects from hiim mind as he lunges forward. His sword slashes across its foreparts, causing it to rear suddenly. The goat-headed man struggles to remain mounted.

Jonah chants a few lilting syllables and vanishes from view. There is the faint rustle of grass and leaves behind Duran.

Oberon darts forward. It's clear from his years of experience with the fey that there is something darkly of the shadow realm about this man, but - like Oberon - he is not purely of that world. However, he burns at the touch of Oberon's blast just the same - as the warlock finds out. His eldritch energy leaps forward and slams into the goat-man's chest, causing a grunt of pain.

The priest pulls out his trusty hammer and brings the power of his god to bear in it.

The goat man calms the massive stag, and points at Oberon and roars out in a sharp, lyrical tongue at strange odds with his appearance:

For those who speak sylvan:
Get the sorcerous one! I'll handle the halfling.

He grabs the horn from his belt and raises it quickly to his lips. It sounds two short blasts, tones deeper than such a small hunting horn should be able to make.

Meanwhile the stag is eager for revenge on the nimble swordsman. Its head slashes diagonally down, and one of the antlers catches him a glancing blow.

The two wolf-men dart forward, giving Tyz a wide berth, and converge on Oberon. He is easily able to slip under the first one's slash, but the second bites into his arm.

Tyz couldn't actually charge, thanks to the dense foliage, but he was able to get close enough to the stag for a regular attack. As of next round, he is no longer inebriated, or shaken.

We'll assume that south is at the bottom of whatever map I draw. Compass directions are unlikely to have much utility in this particular adventure.

Again, because of the dense foliage, Jonah was able to move only 15' south.

Tyz takes 4 points of damage from the stag.

Oberon takes 4 points of damage from the wolf-boy's sword.

Crappy Map Update:
|
|
|....|...|
|
|.....GG
|.....GG
|.......T
|
|..W W
|....O
|...D
|
|....J
|---------------\
\
|-------------
|....................\

I hope you have a terrific vacation, Diarmuid! We'll try not to kill Jonah.

Proven_Paradox
2008-03-02, 09:45 PM
Duran, AC 21, HP 47

Duran steps forward and says, "Behind me, friend! I'll smash, you shoot! Simple but effective, aye?" He raises his warhammer and attempts to bring it down on the nearest wolf-man's blade.

Rolls and such:
Sunder AR: (1d20+11=24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1514095/)
Sunder Damage: (1d8+3=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1514097/) (Ignores hardness less than 20.)

Also: Stonecunning information; does Duran know what the big dude's weapon is made from?

North
2008-03-02, 11:17 PM
Tyz
HP 55/59
AC 23 Touch 17 Flat-Footed 18

Damn BIGJOBS! And you need a deer on top of that!!! HUAAAAHHHH! the halfling whips his sword in two big swings again across the stags legs. Cut you down to my level eventually!

Attack 1 (1d20+9=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1514169/)Damage 1 (1d10+7=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1514171/)
Attack 2 (1d20+9=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1514170/)Damage 2 (1d10+7=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1514172/)
Active Effects RAGE!
OOC: So can the big guy on the horse reach down far enough to hit me :smallwink:

Toliudar
2008-03-03, 12:42 AM
Duran
Duran would guess that the mace is some kind of crude steel, or possibly pig-iron

Tyz
They guy is diagonally "up" from you, but you can still reach each other.

GimliFett
2008-03-03, 09:24 AM
OberonHP: 18/22 AC: 18, t 13, ff 15; DR 2/cold iron

"Aagh!" The faetouched screams in pain. With a feral growl Oberon steps back next to Duran with a nod as he directs a blast of energy at the wolf-boy that struck him. With a thought, Oberon enhances the damage by activating the gloves he wears so that the energy includes additional globs of acid as well. "You know not what you mess with, boy!"

Didja factor my DR? Just wanna make sure.
Also, I have the Ring of Four Winds which can give me a +2 AC bonus up to four times/ day as an immediate action. How do we wanna handle this?
Actions:
5'-step away. Eldritch Blast, activate Gloves of Eldritch Admixture (swift)...
Damage: [roll2] plus [roll3] acid damage.
Active Effects: See the Unseen; Sylvan Step (+10 land speed, trackless step, woodland stride).

Toliudar
2008-03-03, 09:55 AM
Didja factor my DR? Just wanna make sure.
Also, I have the Ring of Four Winds which can give me a +2 AC bonus up to four times/ day as an immediate action. How do we wanna handle this?

DR was factored in - but thanks for checking.
For the ring...If you want to activate it other than on your turn, you're going to need to give me some parameters within which you would activate it. For instance, you could state "for the rest of this encounter, I'll only activate it if the goat-headed guy tries to hit me", or have an ongoing "the next time someone tries to hit me" that can be specifically countermanded any time you want. Sound okay? And what's the duration on that effect?

Busy day, and away from notes. I'll try to update tonight.

GimliFett
2008-03-03, 10:02 AM
DR was factored in - but thanks for checking.
For the ring...If you want to activate it other than on your turn, you're going to need to give me some parameters within which you would activate it. For instance, you could state "for the rest of this encounter, I'll only activate it if the goat-headed guy tries to hit me", or have an ongoing "the next time someone tries to hit me" that can be specifically countermanded any time you want. Sound okay? And what's the duration on that effect?

Busy day, and away from notes. I'll try to update tonight.

OOC:Thanks. Parameters makes sense.
Let's go with this: If Goat-Head attacks me until I am under 50% HP (not much, unfortunately! On the plus side I've got the Healing Belt!), then use until I run out. Duration is 1 attack. I don't figure I can do more than one per round, can I? It's an Immediate Action...

Toliudar
2008-03-04, 10:16 AM
Tyz's blade becomes a blur as he chops into the stag. The big beast tries to leap away, but staggers heavily, and plunges to the ground, blood spouting from it. The big man leaps clear of the beast, and seems unhurt...and very, very put out. He speaks in a grating voice (in common, this time):

Little one, that stag has served the hunt for a very long time. I will crush you like an insect!

From somewhere towards the path, Jonah's clear, strong voice rolls out, stirring hope and determination in all four of you.

Oberon steps back and slams a blast into the wolf-man to the left. Although the blast has clearly hurt him, he remains intent on Oberon's throat.

Duran skilfully brings his hammer down on the right-side wolf-man's blade, snapping the slender thing in two.

The goat-headed man makes a sweeping downward strike at Tyz that the halfling dodges, and the mace buries itself six inches in the ground. The man pulls it out, and manages to catch Tyz with a less powerful blow on the upswing.

Oberon's opponent slashes at him with his sword, missing completely, but the wolf he rides manages to sneak in an attack that nips up Oberon's heels.

Deprived of his sword, the other wolf-man slashes at Duran with a clawed hand, but does nothing to penetrate the priest's armour. The wolf he rides also tries to bite through a greave, with no success.

There is a patter of move footsteps, and two more wolf-riding wolf-men leap from the hole.

Everyone give me spot and listen checks with your next action, please! I will roll for Jonah.

From Jonah's Inspirational Boost, everyone after him in the initiative order (so, all but Tyz) will start to receive +2 bonus to attacks, weapon damage and saves vs fear and charms until further notice.

Tyz takes 7 points of bludgeoning damage.

After damage reduction, Oberon takes only 1 points of damage, but you'll need to beat a 17 to avoid a trip attempt.

On to round 3!

GimliFett
2008-03-04, 10:32 AM
OberonHP: 17/22 AC: 18, t 13, ff 15; DR 2/cold iron

Resist Trip: [roll0]; Strength mod + BAB? Do I factor in Non-combatant penalty? -2 if necessary.
C'mon! No Whammies! NO WHAMMIES!! STOP!!!
:smallbiggrin:
Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]
I'll make another post with Round 3 actions after the outcome of this is decided...

Toliudar
2008-03-04, 12:35 PM
SO close, but ties go to the attacker, as in an attack roll of 16 hitting AC 16. You're tripped.

GimliFett
2008-03-04, 12:53 PM
OberonHP: 17/22 AC: 18, t 13, ff 15; DR 2/cold iron

Knocked to the ground by the wolf's attack, Oberon rolls over and fires a blast of eldritch energy at the wolf-boy. "A little help!" he calls.

You just wanted to dish out some of the Trippin' Love you got in Auromar! :smalltongue: What is it with Warlocks and Trip?
Damage: [roll2] plus 2 for Jonah's song?

Proven_Paradox
2008-03-04, 01:23 PM
Duran yells out, "Fight me ya stupid beasts!" as he swings his hammer at whichever of the two wolf-men look to be injured worst.

Rolls:Attack Roll/Damage Roll: (1d20+9=15, 1d8+5=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1516112/)

North
2008-03-04, 08:11 PM
Tyz

Crush me like an insect? First your horse then you! Ill cut you down like a TREE! Tyz yells thwacking away at the goat-man. Fall down ye tosser!

Attack 1 (1d20+9=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1516514/) Damage 1 (1d10+7=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1516517/)
Attack 2 (1d20+9=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1516516/) Damage 2 (1d10+7=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1516518/)
Listen (1d20+9=28) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1516520/) Spot (1d20-1=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1516522/)
Damn could have used that boost :smalltongue:

Toliudar
2008-03-06, 02:26 AM
Round 3!

Tyz strikes twice at the goat-man, but both times his blade is turned aside by his thick leather armour. The goat-man rasps at him.

Horse? Horse! By my honour as a d'Amberville, you will lie beneath the ground tonight!

Jonah's song continues. It's easy to hear him float back close to Oberon, perhaps ready to lend support next round.

The Warlock manages to loose a blast at the wolf-rider who still faced him, although the wolf slips in and bites him again as he focuses on his attack. The blast knocks the wolf-riding wolf-man off his mount completely, and he lands heavily on the ground, not moving.

Duran does seem to manage to focus the two riders' attention on himself. He slams his hammer into the wolf-rider he has disarmed. The blow catches the lupine on the side of the head, also knocking him from his mount to the ground.

The goat man points again at Oberon.

That one, that one! Quickly! The little one is mine.

Gripping his mace two-handed, the burly goat-headed man slams it into Tyz' body with great force.

The two riderless wolves slink backwards away from the fight with Duran and Oberon. The wolf whose rider Oberon felled trots backwards to sniff hesitantly at the unmoving body of its rider, while the one whose rider was knocked down by Duran simply withdraws and bolts back to the hole in the side of the hill.

Meanwhile, the two new wolf-riders lunge forward, again giving a wide berth to Tyz and the goat-headed man. Neither is able to navigate the increasingly crowded battlefield enough to get in an effective strike, but they crowd close to the still-prone warlock, eager to carve him up in a moment.

So, everyone is now getting the effects of the song.

Tyz and Jonah hear a creaking in the trees back along the path. Out of the corner of his eye, Duran sees a figure hiding behind a tree, just off the path to the east.

My understanding is that Eldritch Blast is a SLA that provokes Attacks of Opportunity. Since there's no way for Oberon to have moved out of melee range without drawing AoO's, the blast does in fact draw a bite from the wolf. After DR, he takes an additional 3 points of damage. The good news is that the rider's attack missed completely.

I swear, I'm not recycling Auromar! This adventure was published in 1981.

Crappy Map, end of round 3:

|
|....|..w|
|
|.....G
|.......T
|.w
|..D.. W
|....O W
|...J
|
|.......................TREE
|---------------\ X
\
|-------------
|....................\

small w= big wolf without rider
X = Mysterious figure glimpsed by Duran.

North
2008-03-06, 04:10 AM
Tyz

Bah, wont be the first amberville toy Ive broken today! Maybe your mommy can fix yer horsey for you!
The halfling taunts the leader. Chopping quickly at his legs. Mommy the big bad halfling broke my horsey and beat me up! Quit yer whining you sound like an elf!

Attack 1 (1d20+11=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1518338/) Damage 1 (1d10+9=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1518340/)
Attack 2 (1d20+11=26) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1518339/) Damage 2 (1d10+9=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1518341/)
Active Effects RAGE!
OK hits, damage output could have been better.
Did Tyz take damage from that last hit?

GimliFett
2008-03-06, 01:31 PM
OberonHP: 14/22 AC: 18, t 13, ff 15; DR 2/cold iron

Oberon blasts one of the newcomers, infusing acid energy into the regular eldritch energy. "Afraid of me? You should be!" the faetouched yells as he tries to roll away from his assailants.

No worries! :smallbiggrin:
Activate ring of four winds if attacked AoO while Blasting, +2 AC v 1st attack.
Activate gloves of eldritch admixture, 1 charge (1 left).
Damage: [roll2] plus [roll3] acid damage.
Move backwards to between Duran and Jonah. I know I take AoO. If I didn't use the ro4w before, I'll use it now.

Toliudar
2008-03-09, 04:32 PM
Sorry, been away from notes or unconscious last couple days. Hoping to update tonight.

Proven_Paradox
2008-03-09, 07:02 PM
Gah, this never showed up as having had a new post. Sorry for my absence.

Duran turns to one of the new arrivals and strikes at his weapon again. As he does, he tries to discreetly get a better look at the figure he'd noticed--doing his best not to give the watcher any idea that he'd been seen.

Rolls:Sunder attack/damage: (1d20+12=14, 1d8+4=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1522382/)

I'm not sure what kind of roll you would like for the observation aspect of this action... feel free to roll it yourself Toli.

Toliudar
2008-03-11, 02:24 AM
Round 4!

Tyz proves why he has been called, pound for pound, the meanest swordsman in Glantri. Mostly by Tyz, admittedly, but with some justification, nonetheless. Twice his weapon slips through the goat man's armour, leaving him bleeding profusely.

Jonah's song moves to a quick resolution, and is replaced by the sound of a quickly-chanted spell. Oberon feels a gentle tug on his boot, and healing energies flood into him.

Activating both his gloves and his belt, Oberon pours his fury into a blast, narrowly dodging the sword-thrust of the wolf-man he blasts, but falling prey to the other's quick strike. Nevertheless, his blast flies true to its target, and knocks the wolf-creature clear of its mount, its death-spasms starting even as the warlock's acid eats away its ability to scream.

Duran brings his hammer down on the sword that has just sliced into Oberon, but the wielder is quick. He slants the weapon with the dwarf's crushing blow, and the sword escapes unscathed. He is able to focus enough to spot a humanoid figure crouched next to a tree, just off the path.

From the mysterious figure, a pair of glowing green diamond shapes abruptly emerge. They arc silently through the air, slamming into the chest of the goat-man, causing him to stagger and shout.

Oho! Come out of hiding at last, little mage! Come closer. I promise to eat you last. But first things first.

Again, the goat-man's dark mace descends, and this time it finds its mark. However, Tyz is able to sidestep a second swing.

The last remaining wolf-rider turns his attentions to duran, but his luck runs out, and he is unable to pierce the smith's mighty armour. A rider-less wolf, however, has more luck, and seizes the dwarf's knee briefly, trying to upend him.

The wolf whose rider was just killed by Oberon snarls and lunges at the prone warlock. Miraculously, he is able to slip out of its jaws without injury.

The wolf that had retreated to the cave mouth continues its motion inside, where it quickly disappears from view.

Sorry, North. Tyz did indeed take damage from the goat-man's hit last round - 6 points.

After damage reduction, Oberon takes 5 points of damage from the wolf-man's attack of opportunity. He then regains 10 points from Jonah's Cure Light Wounds, so I think that that brings him to 19 hp.

Tyz takes 9 points of damage from the goat-man's first swing. The second swing misses.

Duran takes 4 points of damage from the wolf bite, and has to beat a 12 to avoid being tripped. Yay stability!

|
|....|..w|
|
|.....G
|.......T
|.w
|..D.W
|....O w
|...J
|
|.......................TREE
|---------------\ X
\
|-------------
|....................\

Please note - I will be travelling from March 12-14th. I will probably not have an opportunity to update during that period. Apologies.

Foobar
2008-03-11, 09:17 AM
Rhys

Rhys watches his spell with satisfaction, which changes to fear with the goat-man's words.

And I'd hoped he'd forgotten about me. Well, at least, I didn't remind him by helping these people out. Nothing to do but continue now. Why didn't I study more of those spells?

Initiative +2 (Dex) +2 (Cat's Grace) = +4 [roll0]

Proven_Paradox
2008-03-11, 08:04 PM
Sunnova...

Trip resist: (1d20+6=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1524782/)

Also, does that damage include my DR 3/- from my adamantine full plate?

Duran is unable to get sturdy footing on the ground, the wolf pulls him down. He quickly moves to right himself, doing his best to keep his shield between himself and his attackers as he does so.

Standard action: Total Defense; dodge AC +4, bringing me up to AC 25 for the round.
Move action: Stand up.

I know the dodge AC applies to all the AoOs I'll provoke for standing, but I don't know if I'm still considered prone for those; I leave that to you.

North
2008-03-11, 11:12 PM
Tyz
HP 33/59 AC 23

Id be more worried about choking on more then you can chew! The halfing taunts. Butchering both the sayings and the goatmans legs. TIMBERRRRR! HAHAHAHAA! he laughs maniacally

Attack 1 (1d20 11=30) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1524913/) Crit Confirm (1d20+11=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1524914/) Damage 1 (1d10+9=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1524915/) Thats the rolled damage, not sure if I made the crit confirm or not.

Attack 2 (1d20+11=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1524916/) Damage 2 (1d10+9=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1524917/)

Toliudar
2008-03-17, 01:14 AM
Rhys will be going first next round - feel free to post your next action, Foobar. And welcome!

I'll send nudges off to Gimli and Diarmuid.

Foobar
2008-03-17, 11:38 AM
Rhys

Rhys moves carefully along the outskirts of the battle, staying near the trees. He raises his bow and takes a careful shot at the goat-man.

Staying out of it now, because I'm not entirely sure who is what on the tactical. Could someone let me know which of the letters are PCs?

Attack +4 +2(Cat's Grace) = [roll0]
Crit Confirm [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Foobar
2008-03-17, 11:51 AM
Woohoo! Starting off with a critical failure. I'm sure my new companions are very impressed.

GimliFett
2008-03-17, 12:20 PM
OberonHP: 19/22 AC: 18, t 13, ff 15; DR 2/cold iron

The faetouched scuttles away from the wolf and remaining rider, then stands, turns and faces his assailants. "Stop this now, or face oblivion!" Oberon growls at the wolfrider in sylvan as his fingers twitch before him, preparing another blast of energy.

Move back once more and stand up, finally.
Activate ring of four winds v. first AoO against me while I move.
Intimidate: [roll0]; not as good as Bluff; not nearly...but maybe... If Bluff would work, then: [roll1].

Toliudar
2008-03-18, 12:37 AM
Tyz' blade bites into the goat-man - both blows are telling, and the second slices a nasty gash across his chest that exposes bone, and a silver medallion around the hunter's neck.

Rhys' arrow flies low, and buries itself deep in the soil about half-way in between Tyz and the goat-man.

Jonah's song silenced, he drifts around Oberon and his lupine opponent. Dropping his invisibility, he lunges at the wolf that harries Oberon. It is unable to twist away from the blade in time, and he skewers it neatly. It falls to the ground.

Oberon scrambles back and to his feet. Although the wolfrider and wolf both lunge for him as he does so, it is as if a fierce breeze pushes them aside, and he makes it to standing safely. His commanding voice and presence do seem impressive, and the wolf-rider pauses, looking uncertainly back at his badly-wounded leader.

Duran rolls slowly and cautiously to his feet. The wolf that harries him bites down hard, but gets only a mouthful of metal, and the dwarf, too, is safely on his feet.

The goat-man stumbles back a bit, clutching at a bag at his belt. Tyz is able to capitalize on the rough terrain and his enemy's movement to sneak in an additional strike to the goat-man's midsection, knocking him to the ground, where he is bleeding hard.

Seeing his leader fall and already shaken, the wolf-rider turns and scampers back into the hole in the earth, giving the whirlwind Tyz a wide berth. He disappears from view down the tunnel.

Deranged with the loss of its master, the final remaining wolf bites again at Duran, but is turned aside by the wary dwarf's defense.

GimliFett
2008-03-18, 02:49 PM

Oberon turns towards the goat-headed man. "Cousin," he begins in the common tongue, "surely there is no reason for you to die here. Surrender or perish."

Holding action. If he gets attacky...then I'll get attacky.

North
2008-03-20, 01:11 AM
Tyz
HP 33/59 AC 23

Enraged and merciless the cutthroat halfling follows in on the goat man and swings his greatsword down on the fallen enemy. Just like chopping wood.

Sorry about the delay. Boards been very buggy lately.
Attack (1d20+11=31) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1532820/) Crit? (1d20+11=27) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1532822/) Damage (1d10+7=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1532823/) Again thats just the regular damage. But Im pretty sure I made the crit confirm :smallbiggrin:

Foobar
2008-03-20, 09:10 AM
Rhys

Rhys watches with mixed fascination and horror as the halfling moves in for the kill on the near-defenseless goat-man.

Holding action for now. BTW, vacation this weekend, w/ limited access.

Toliudar
2008-03-20, 12:43 PM
The goat headed man hears Oberon's words, and snarls back in Sylvan.

I am not your cousin, you fae-born freak. I am a son of Amber! And death will be a release.

As if taking that as his cue, Tyz braces himself, sending his sword entirely through the chest of the goat-headed man. The halfling is barely able to yank his sword free as the man falls heavily.

There's still a crazy wolf chomping at Duran. Rhys and Oberon can still take actions if desired.

GimliFett
2008-03-20, 01:08 PM

The faetouched's eyes widen in surprise, but they quickly narrow in anger. "Got what you deserved then, non?" he says quietly as Tyz ends the man's life. He turns to Duran and directs the eldritch energy that is his birthright into the wolf harrying the dwarf. "Need some help, DuranDuran?" he offers with a coy smile.

Attack: [roll0]; Oi! I need Precise Shot! And why was I knocking off 4 when I wasn't firing into melee? Ugh. I need to pay better attention...
Damage: [roll2]

Also, how many charges from the ring did I use, Toli?
Ring of Four Winds: ? charge remaining.
Gloves of Eldritch Admixture: 1 charge remaining.
Healing Belt: 3 charges remaining.

Proven_Paradox
2008-03-20, 02:58 PM
"Aye! Can someone calm this beast?" He asks of no-one inparticular as he strikes at the wolf with his hammer again.

Attack/damage: (1d20+7=24, 1d8+3=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1533239/)

GimliFett
2008-03-20, 03:18 PM

Grinning at his friend, Oberon chuckles. "By calm do you mean inter in the earth?"

Also, how many charges from the ring did I use, Toli?

Toliudar
2008-03-20, 08:44 PM
Oberon's blast goes wide of the wolf, splattering against the thick brick walls of the castle...which, to his surprise, seem completely unharmed by the exposure.

Jonah steps carefully through the tangled grass, drawing his sword, and stabs at the wolf. It bleeds, but does not fall.

Duran's hammer catches the wolf what seems like a glancing blow on the side of its skull, but it nonetheless collapses to the ground.

There is a moment of silence. Somewhere in the distant woods, a tree creaks.

GimliFett
2008-03-20, 10:21 PM

Oberon grimaces as his blast proves errant but his friends manage to bring the wolf down. "Glad that's done. Now, to check--" he pauses a moment, eyes widening as he remembers Erelith's possible peril. "Find what things you can from these, then join me back at Erelith! I fear for him mightily!" The faetouched rushes his words out, then sprints out of the garden and into the hallway, headed for the room in which they left their drunk friend.

As much running as I can manage. Fast fast! Speed is 40' right now.
Also, how many charges from the ring did I use, Toli? 3 or did I get to the 4th?

Toliudar
2008-03-21, 12:50 AM
Sorry. I count only two charges from the ring used.

From your current position, sprinting, you'll reach the far end of the hallway in 4 rounds.

Foobar
2008-03-21, 08:30 AM
Rhys

Rhys puts his weapons away and cautiously emerges from the woods. As he walks over to the group, he says,

My name is Rhys. I seem to be stranded here. Sorry, I wasn't really much help, was I?

He pauses, looking at the carnage.

I don't suppose any of you know what that thing is? Or what "Amber" is? I still don't know how I got here or, more importantly, how to get home.

He looks around, hopefully.

Proven_Paradox
2008-03-21, 10:29 AM
Duran nods to Rhys and says, "Apologies for my rudeness, but something's got Oberon frightened for our friend, and I intended to find out what." Even as he speaks, he begins following Oberon as quickly as he can--though with his shorter legs and his heavier armor, he has no hope of keeping up.

North
2008-03-22, 10:43 AM
Tyz

Tyz watches the others peel off down the hall momentarily, then turns to the business at hand. Starting with the goatman he begins searchng the bodies for information, valuables or weapons with a practiced hand while keeping a wary eye on the hole that spawned them in the first place.

Checking the first body the halfling speaks to the newcomer. I am Tyz. This is Amber. Dont know how to get out. This place reeks of magic. He says vehemently spitting at the ground.

Toliudar
2008-03-22, 04:09 PM
Oberon streaks, and Duran clomps, down the hallway back towards the other end.

Tyz' investigation of the goat-headed man reveals that his belt pouch contains a small leather flask and a handful of teeth - mostly humanoid molars. He is wearing a prominent silver medallion, marked with a multi-faceted diamond design, around his neck.

Oberon reaches the far end of the very, very long hallway about 20 seconds later. The door is closed.

Some book-keeping: All but Rhys receive 750 XP for your work so far in the castle. Rhys receives 250 for his relatively modest role in the fight.

North
2008-03-23, 11:36 PM
Tyz

Taking the medallion and belt pouch. Tyz moves on to the other riders to check for anything of value.

Toliudar
2008-03-24, 12:47 AM
The rest of the search takes very little time - none of the four lupine wolf-riders seem to be wearing anything, not carrying anything except the longswords they used to attack Oberon and Duran.

GimliFett
2008-03-24, 08:11 AM

Oberon briefly composes himself in case his fears prove unfounded then raps twice on the door. "Hello? Fado? Erelith?" the faetouched calls loudly enough to be heard through the door.

Count to ten and then go in! :smallbiggrin:
Ring of Four Winds: 2 charges remaining.

Toliudar
2008-03-24, 11:15 AM
Oberon's inquiry goes unanswered for a moment, then Fado's voice floats out.

Just a moment, friend. You have, I'm afraid, caught me using the chamberpot. Please allow me to clean up for a moment.

There is a faint rattle in the doorknob, but it does not open. Duran comes clanking up alongside Oberon as he is counting to ten.

Jonah, catching on late to the idea of heading back to check on Erelith, nods to Rhys.

A pleasure to meet you sir, and your assistance was most appreciated. But I'm afraid that I should check on my companions' rather abrupt departure.

He moves with some difficulty through the dense scrub to the door, and starts jogging to the far end of the long hallway.

Oberon tries to turn the knob to open the door, only to find that the handle turns only a little, and very reluctantly at that, and that the door does not push open as it did several minutes ago.

Just a moment! I'll be right out!

Yes, I know that technically, Duran is still only about halfway down the corridor, but it's more fun this way.

Listen checks from both Oberon and Duran, please!

GimliFett
2008-03-24, 11:27 AM

Listen: [roll0]; Big Bucks! No whammies! :smallannoyed:
Shee-ite. C'mon, Duran Duran!

North
2008-03-24, 12:06 PM
Tyz
Hp 40/59

Done searching the bodies Tyz makes his way down the hall following the others at a leisurely pace.
Healing Belt (2d6) 7
Work comp blocks invisible castle, but I rolled it I swear:smallbiggrin:

Foobar
2008-03-26, 09:04 AM
Rhys

Rhys looks about uncertainly.

Should I stay with these people or wander off by myself again? They didn't really ask for my help, not that I gave any.

He clears his throat.

Is there anything I can do to help? Maybe I can figure out something about that strange symbol on that medallion?

He trots down the corridor after Tyz.

Proven_Paradox
2008-03-26, 10:20 AM
Listen: (1d20+3=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1539703/) ((Eh.))

Toliudar
2008-03-26, 10:25 AM
Rhys trots forward to catch up with the small and blood-spattered warrior.

Oberon and Duran hear nothing more from behind the door.

GimliFett
2008-03-26, 10:26 AM

Scowling at the locked door, Oberon turns to his friend. "Care to give the door what-for?" he asks then steps back and waves the dwarf towards the door, as if introducing the two.

North
2008-03-26, 11:24 AM
Tyz

If its magic the only thing it did for goatboy was give him delusions of adequecy. Tyz snickers and tosses the medallion and the other "trophies" to Rhys. If you can identify anything, Ill have your back in a fight. But if you steal my spoils stranger Ill give you a crimson smile from ear to ear. The halfling says nonchalantly smiling over his shoulder.

After I posted this I figured I should do an intimidation check :smallbiggrin:
Intimidate! Grrr! (1d20+11=25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1539863/)
I gave myself a conditional +1 to the check for his current appearence and actions.:smallwink: Feel free to disregard.

Foobar
2008-03-26, 03:42 PM
Rhys

Slightly taken aback by Tyz's comment, Rhys pauses for a second before snickering.

Well, I was going to make you more agile, in case there was something on the other side of that door, but clearly I need to work on a spell to make you more charming instead. Or maybe just making you bigger would be just as effective.

Rhys relaxes visibly and begins to examine the medallion while waiting for the door to open.

First of all, heh to the intimidate check. Good one.

Not sure which are relevant:
Knowledge-Arcana +10 [roll0]
Spellcraft +12 [roll1]
Decipher Script +6 [roll2]

Foobar
2008-03-26, 03:48 PM
Wacky. A critical failure on my first attack & now a nat 20 on decipher.