PDA

View Full Version : Dragon as a special mount

Thomix
2007-12-17, 06:01 PM
Is there a way to get a dragon with the special mount ability of the paladin? Or is there another way to get one?? (feat or something)

Please help!

Lochar
2007-12-17, 06:03 PM
See the draconomicon. It's in there somewhere, I just don't have the book in front of me.

NEO|Phyte
2007-12-17, 06:05 PM
I think there's also rules for nonstandard special mounts in the DMG, shortly before the Epic rules.
No clue if its also in the SRD.

cupkeyk
2007-12-17, 06:05 PM
Dragon Cohort from Draconomicon. The best option is a very young gold available at level 15 if medium. Or wyrmling gold dragon available for small paladins a 9.

Amiria
2007-12-17, 06:06 PM
Yes, there are feats and rules for it in the Draconomicon. For a special mount you need the Dragon Steed feat, not Dragon Cohort.

Kizara
2007-12-17, 06:49 PM
I thought this was rather well covered in the Defenders of the Faith (3.0 suppliment), get your hands on one of those if you can get a chance.

Yeril
2007-12-17, 06:51 PM
Yes, there are feats and rules for it in the Draconomicon. For a special mount you need the Dragon Steed feat, not Dragon Cohort.

True, but the Dragon Steed feat gives you some sin against god that looks like a cross between a pegasus, a gold dragon, and a small innocent sheep.

Dragon Cohort gives you an Actual dragon which you can have as a steed.

Amiria
2007-12-17, 06:56 PM
True, but the Dragon Steed feat gives you some sin against god that looks like a cross between a pegasus, a gold dragon, and a small innocent sheep.

Dragon Cohort gives you an Actual dragon which you can have as a steed.

Wrong, there are rules for how to get a real dragon as a special mount with the Dragon Steed feat on p. 139 of the Draconomicon.

However, the only Dragons special mounts of medium size (so only small riders) come at level 16+ in the form of Gold Dragons. Large special mounts would be epic homebrew. That's the price for the special mount abilities.

Yeril
2007-12-17, 07:00 PM
Wrong, there are rules for how to get a real dragon as a special mount with the Dragon Steed feat on p. 139 of the Draconomicon.

However, the only Dragons special mounts of medium size (so only small riders) come at level 16+ in the form of Gold Dragons. Large special mounts would be epic homebrew. That's the price for the special mount abilities.

Aha, I stand corrected then. :smalleek: :smallsmile:

And actualy, the level 16+ gold dragon has a (M) indicating that it can perform as a steed for a medium rider, not that the dragon is medium.

The ones with a (S) are ones appropriate for small riders.

Amiria
2007-12-17, 07:08 PM
And actualy, the level 16+ gold dragon has a (M) indicating that it can perform as a steed for a medium rider, not that the dragon is medium.

The ones with a (S) are ones appropriate for small riders.

Aha, I stand corrected then. :smallredface: :smallsmile:

Still, I'd rather have a Silver Dragon as a special mount for a medium rider - no exploitable vulnerability to an energy type. But they aren't big enough at young age. :smallfrown:

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-12-17, 07:12 PM
Dragon as a mount would be rather funny though, good idea.

My paladin/Cavalier has a Drakkensteed (Dragon Magic) mount. Think if a Dragon took horse form and decided to propogate... It's got wings, high strength for a horse, it's fast, has trample, etc. I also took the Celestial Mount feat from Book of Exalted Cheesey Deeds (Gives the Celestial template to the mount, basically for free).

Triaxx
2007-12-17, 07:33 PM
All you need is a Ring of Enlarge Dragon. Size it up and squish some Gobbo's. :smallbiggrin:

Prometheus
2007-12-17, 09:50 PM
Dragons fall into the category of beings smart enough to be companions and not animals. Therefore, any character can have one provided that they are able to convince it to help them*.

*No purchase necessary. See your local dragon's lair for rules and regulation. Prometheus is not legally responsible for any TPK that may result.

Tyrmatt
2007-12-18, 07:55 AM
This thread just twigged off an idea in my head as it made me remember the Archlord dealie of having a dragon mount.
Thus the idea is the king/head paladin/ etc of a certain order has the service of a particular dragon which has sworn an oath or similar to the Order/God/Ideal and functions as his mount in battle...
To the character sheets!