PDA

View Full Version : Colbert and Stewart vs Leno and Letterman.

Mr. Mud
2007-12-17, 06:07 PM
(Not an actual fight :smallwink: )

I was recently talking to a friend about new comedians like Colbert and Stewart, versus the older, more renown comedians like Leno and Letterman.

Which comedians have more affect on us today? :smallconfused:

Personally I think they are all hilarious but Colbert is cheif. :smallbiggrin:

Daze
2007-12-17, 06:14 PM
I used to really like Letterman, but a few years ago I started to find him a bit repetitive and increasingly dull. Was never that Leno crazy (NY bias I guess), but he also seemed to be getting a bit same ol, same ol.

Colbert and Stewart are definitely the top late night guys out there now. Not only are they funny, but they have the best comedic writing staffs anywhere. Funny Stuff. Personally, I put Daily Show over Colbert Report... just because I appreciate the news coverage more on Daily. But you're right, Colbert is funny as heck.

Conan I think is better than Leno or Letterman though, I look forward to when he takes over the Tonight Show. I might start watching it again then.

Mr. Mud
2007-12-17, 07:01 PM
True enough. In order of funniest: (IMAO)

Colbert
Stewart
Letterman
Leno/Conan - Tied

Leno, don't get me wrong, is a funny guy, was great back even a few years ago. As for Conan... Meh, he has his moments. :smallwink:

Daze
2007-12-17, 07:14 PM
Leno, don't get me wrong, is a funny guy, was great back even a few years ago. As for Conan... Meh, he has his moments. :smallwink:

Yeah Leno does has his moments... I just find all his macho posturing a bit much after awhile, and I think his interviews lack substance more often than not.
Stewart and Colbert on the other hand inteview phenomenally. I sometimes learn more from their questions to an important guest then I do on a "legit" news show... pretty amazing.

I agree about Conan, he needs to add a bit to his schtick. but I appreciate self-deprecating humor, so I put him above Dave and Jay... seems more likeable for some reason. But I could be wrong...

Icewalker
2007-12-17, 07:26 PM
Personally I think Colbert was at least twice as good when he was doing This Week in God on the Daily Show. That was awesome.

But yeah, Colbert and John Stewart, definitely.

Daze
2007-12-17, 07:28 PM
Personally I think Colbert was at least twice as good when he was doing This Week in God on the Daily Show. That was awesome.

But yeah, Colbert and John Stewart, definitely.

I think Colbert and Stewart were just an awesome team, they played off each other well. Sometimes I think the Cobert struggles a bit more on his own, where Stewart kinda gets along ok without him.

But they're still both a sight better than anyone else.

StickMan
2007-12-17, 07:32 PM
I so miss Colbert and Stewart. Don't care about the other ones.

puppyavenger
2007-12-17, 09:27 PM
I so miss Colbert and Stewart. Don't care about the other ones.

stupid writers strike.

EvilElitest
2007-12-17, 10:38 PM
I think Colbert and Stewart were just an awesome team, they played off each other well. Sometimes I think the Cobert struggles a bit more on his own, where Stewart kinda gets along ok without him.

But they're still both a sight better than anyone else.

they are also very educational, we watch them in class
from,
EE

Gungnir
2007-12-17, 11:43 PM
http://www.copacetic-zine.com/pix/blog/rampagingcolbert.jpg

...That is all.

BlackStaticWolf
2007-12-17, 11:53 PM
http://www.copacetic-zine.com/pix/blog/rampagingcolbert.jpg

...That is all.

And it is made of win.

Seraph
2007-12-17, 11:56 PM
Letterman defects to Colbert and Stewart, and they all gang up on leno. Leno, after all, stole letterman's intended time-slot.

sikyon
2007-12-18, 12:44 AM
I've never actually seen Leno or Letterman, but I feel that Colbert and Stewart don't have the same charm for me that they used to. Stewart used to be hillarious for me, but now it's just meh. He's funny, but not horribly relevant. I feel similarly about Colbert, except Colbert is less relevant enough that I feel comfortable just taking it for humor and not anything factual. I love the word segment though.

Actually, I have begun to perfer Rick Mercer Report, though it's canadian politics (I'm canadian). It's both relevant and hillarious, but not in the idiotic way really. He makes fun of politicians, has clear biases (but slanted against the government in general, not just one party) on issues (not parties) he disagrees with and gets together alot with willing politicians to do fun stuff (say kayaking and flipping over with them) and just does some non political stuff too, for the hell of it (think visiting a submarine maker).

I find it to be much more intellectual, but still hillariously sarcastic and silly and above all very energetic (especially with a ton of location changes, not just constantly sitting in a stage).

Hawriel
2007-12-18, 04:01 AM
stupid writers strike.

I hope your refering to the conditions that made the strike nessasary. The writters are fighting for what they rightfuly deserve. Think about this as well. The only good coverage about the strike is found in three places. PBS, BBC and the internet. All of the network and cable stations are killing the news story because they are the owners the writters are striking against. I am a member of a union and understand how important they are. Even if the rest of America does not. <walks the high horse off of soap box and dismounts>

Stewart and Colbert have very good shows. They are a totaly different animal than the network late night shows. Though the years sence Stewart has done his show Ive seen a large change in its style. There is almost a real jurnalistic quality to the sillyness on his show. Cobert's as well. I think this started 6 years ago when they realised that peaple watched his show for real news. Actualy now that I think of it, ever sence 9/11 has the show taken a sertan direction. The show uses humer to not only intertane but point out hypocrasy in are goverment and society. I know the daily show is honest about satarising every one equely. I just have noticed that the show really goes after the big inconsistancies alot more than the real news shows. They also bring up some topics that would never make it on the air, well out side of PBS news shows. I think the two shows have found there drive in using commedy to get peaple to think about important things.

Jay Leno kind of does it in a small watered down talk show way. I am impressed that he has many of the presidental canedates on his show. Leno is an informed person who does try to use the show to get some kind of information to the masses of well...Americans who would other wise have now clue. Leno, and Letterman's show is about having a lazy talk show that lets actors and directors and other entertaners to plug their stuff.

If I want to know about some actor, movie, TV show or just want somthing playing in the background as I play computer games and read message boards Leno is going to be on. If I want to actualy be intertaned in a clever politacal/sociatal manner its Stewart and Cobert.

Irenaeus
2007-12-18, 05:19 AM
No contest at all, Colbert and Stewart.

As long as you don't expect to get actual news from them, which some people seem to do.

Mr. Mud
2007-12-18, 08:27 AM
Meh, a good way too tell is who would convince more voters for a canidate.(presidental, or anything else for that matter) Do enough older generations watch Colbert and Stewart, and do enough Younger Generations watch Leno and Letterman? :smallconfused: