PDA

View Full Version : Heighten Spell

Chronicled
2007-12-17, 08:25 PM
Here's the text for Heighten Spell, from the SRD:

Heighten Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit
A heightened spell has a higher spell level than normal (up to a maximum of 9th level). Unlike other metamagic feats, Heighten Spell actually increases the effective level of the spell that it modifies. All effects dependent on spell level (such as saving throw DCs and ability to penetrate a lesser globe of invulnerability) are calculated according to the heightened level. The heightened spell is as difficult to prepare and cast as a spell of its effective level.

My question is: can it be combined with other metamagic for free? As an example, I told a friend playing a sorcerer to get Heighten Spell, then combine it with his Sculpt Spell for the same cost (+1 total). The DM interjected, claiming that Heighten Spell is practically worthless, and that it doesn't work that way. According to him, its metamagic cost is +X (X being however many slots you wish to raise it by), making it a better idea to just cast a higher level spell.

Who's right?

Jack_Simth
2007-12-17, 08:28 PM
Here's the text for Heighten Spell, from the SRD:

Heighten Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit
A heightened spell has a higher spell level than normal (up to a maximum of 9th level). Unlike other metamagic feats, Heighten Spell actually increases the effective level of the spell that it modifies. All effects dependent on spell level (such as saving throw DCs and ability to penetrate a lesser globe of invulnerability) are calculated according to the heightened level. The heightened spell is as difficult to prepare and cast as a spell of its effective level.

My question is: can it be combined with other metamagic for free? As an example, I told a friend playing a sorcerer to get Heighten Spell, then combine it with his Sculpt Spell for the same cost (+1 total). The DM interjected, claiming that Heighten Spell is practically worthless, and that it doesn't work that way. According to him, its metamagic cost is +X (X being however many slots you wish to raise it by), making it a better idea to just cast a higher level spell.

Who's right?
As one of the two in the argument is the DM, it's the DM that's right (doesn't matter what the book says, especially as he's not being a jerk about it).

Edit:
That said (and my Ninja insurance in place) - Heighten Spell is written in isolation - it does not, itself, address combining with other metamagic effects. Technically, as Heighten Spell refers to the effective level of the spell to set the save DC, and other metamagic effects reference the effective level for the spell slot, it depends on what order you apply them.

The Heightened-to-5th(Empowered(Scorching Ray)) technically acts as a 5th level spell. The Empowered(Heightened(Scorching Ray)) in a 5th level spell slot technically acts as a 3rd level spell.

Your DM's interpretation is probably the more balanced, honestly.

Lemur
2007-12-17, 08:29 PM
The DM is correct. Heighten spell is not typically very good, except in certain unique cases like the shadowcraft killer gnome.

Chronicled
2007-12-17, 08:32 PM
As one of the two in the argument is the DM, it's the DM that's right (doesn't matter what the book says, especially as he's not being a jerk about it).

Agreed.

However, he and I were both willing to concede the point if sufficient evidence could be provided. I'd like to know at this point what the RAW is on it for my own games, anyways.

Edit: Ah, okay. I had been told in the past that it was a top-priority sorcerer metamagic, but I suppose that's not the case.

tyckspoon
2007-12-17, 08:32 PM
Your DM is. It's not worthless, especially for a Sorcerer, since it allows lower level spells to have their save DCs adjusted up and saves you the 'spells known' cost of learning a replacement spell of the same function (that, and there are some lower level spells that just don't have good higher level equivalents- look at Glitterdust.) He's right about the mechanics, however; a Heightened Spell is effectively a spell of the higher spell level, including the spell slot it takes.

Wordmiser
2007-12-17, 08:41 PM
It is a top-priority Sorcerer Metamagic. Without it, you'll fill your spell slots with higher-level repetitions of the same effect.

Sorcerers have some versatility issues without taking the same spells 9 times.

Chronicled
2007-12-17, 09:12 PM
I see. Thanks, everyone!

Draz74
2007-12-17, 09:30 PM
Heightened Widened Grease is great against non-flying opponents all the way up to Level 20. :smallamused: