PDA

View Full Version : Online D&D - Explain it to me, please

JackMage666
2007-12-17, 10:50 PM
So, I'm desperate. Finding a group to play with has proved futile, and I haven't played in over 6 months now. I'm having withdrawls. I wanna play D&D!

So, I've heard (and seen in the forums) online roleplaying using the d20 system. How does it work? Is it as much fun? I really want to play, and if I have to learn to do it online, I'll be more than happy to.

Also, is it only done in message board format, or can you do it over instant messaging programs. Are there programs you can use to help?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have a serious need to game.

EvilElitest
2007-12-17, 10:58 PM
I've never tried but i could try to run a champain for you and anyone else. I'd need somebody to help me because i've never tried with online D&D
from
EE

Kizara
2007-12-17, 10:59 PM
So, I'm desperate. Finding a group to play with has proved futile, and I haven't played in over 6 months now. I'm having withdrawls. I wanna play D&D!

So, I've heard (and seen in the forums) online roleplaying using the d20 system. How does it work? Is it as much fun? I really want to play, and if I have to learn to do it online, I'll be more than happy to.

Also, is it only done in message board format, or can you do it over instant messaging programs. Are there programs you can use to help?

1) There is a CRPG called D&D Online. Its like WoW basically.

2) Most people just do PbP (play by post) over boards such as this for online RPing, but some will use a couple different mediums such as:

3) IRC chat and such, I don't remember who but there was someone running around with a link to a DnD IRC server they ran or something.

4) Somewhat tabletop-like campaigns done via Open RPG and voice communication programs such as Ventrilo or Skype (I recomend skype for this).

Kizara
2007-12-17, 11:01 PM
I've never tried but i could try to run a champain for you and anyone else. I'd need somebody to help me because i've never tried with online D&D
from
EE

Honestly, I suggest you make a post in the "Finding Games" forum on this board for such things.

I recomend the same for the OPer. Having done a (short-lived campaign) using MSN, vent (changed to skype cause vent kept giving us issues), and ORPG, I could help you with the setup if you like. Hell, I may join in the game too if it looks interesting to me.

Chronicled
2007-12-17, 11:04 PM
Play by post and Instant Messaging are both viable ways of playing online. Play by post tends to be easier to set up and run, but goes slower than instant messaging. Either way lets you spend more time thinking about what your character would do before you do it, which some people like.

Essentially, it's D&D as normal, with the DM setting up an ad for players on the forum. People express interest, sometimes making characters in advance (depending on the specific house rules and requirements), and then the DM selects the players from the pool of applicants. Dice are rolled online--either on the forum or on dice-rolling sites that can be linked to. For out-of-character chatter, there's usually an associated thread.

You can find play-by-post games here, or on forums such as Myth Weavers (http://myth-weavers.com). Look for a game recruitment thread, and see what the requirements for applying are. Sign up for a couple games that interest you, since you won't always be selected (unless you're a really, really good writer).

Chronicled
2007-12-17, 11:06 PM
1) 3) IRC chat and such, I don't remember who but there was someone running around with a link to a DnD IRC server they ran or something.

I believe that was namo.

Archangel Yuki
2007-12-17, 11:07 PM
PbP is not the only option however, I personally run a game over Teamspeak. (Thats a handy little program that allowes me to hear you and you to hear me, with a mike. :D)
Oh, we also have a slot open for someone by the way. Just sayin'....

EvilElitest
2007-12-17, 11:07 PM
Honestly, I suggest you make a post in the "Finding Games" forum on this board for such things.

I recomend the same for the OPer. Having done a (short-lived campaign) using MSN, vent (changed to skype cause vent kept giving us issues), and ORPG, I could help you with the setup if you like. Hell, I may join in the game too if it looks interesting to me.

hmmmmmm, i'd need somebody to guide me though however
from,
EE

Xuincherguixe
2007-12-17, 11:08 PM
I did a campaign or two using AIM, kind of fell apart. But it was interesting.

TheOOB
2007-12-17, 11:09 PM
I've played some forum based online games, and many of them are fun at first, but I find an annoying amount of people quit the game within the first few months so that the game ends prematurely.

You also need a DM who's willing to lead the players on a bit, with posting delays and whatnot waiting for everyone to agree with every course of action can cause it to take 3 days to make the decision to leave the bar, much less acually go anywhere.

That said if you get a good group and a good DM it can be quite fun.

I personally have no experiance playing D&D over IM.

RandomFellow
2007-12-17, 11:09 PM

I suggest OpenRPG (http://openrpg.com/). It's about as close as you can get to a tabletop game without being physically present.

JackMage666
2007-12-17, 11:14 PM
I think over IM would probably be the best way for me to do it, as PbP seems kinda slow to me. As for Mic games, that's sorta a problem as my parents (since I'm home for Christmas Break), would get kinda upset. Anyone know of a good site to look for IM based games, or do they have recruitments on this site?

Kizara
2007-12-17, 11:20 PM
I think over IM would probably be the best way for me to do it, as PbP seems kinda slow to me. As for Mic games, that's sorta a problem as my parents (since I'm home for Christmas Break), would get kinda upset. Anyone know of a good site to look for IM based games, or do they have recruitments on this site?

You can try to get a IM game going by posting on the recruitment thread on these boards, but good luck. They aren't common and are generally a pain in the arse to arrange with scheduals and such.

People also don't give them the time deadication and attention that they would actual face-to-face tabletop sessions, and if anything they need more. This also causes them to fall apart.

In theory, these communication tools could allow for a good playing experience, in practice its a pretty big hassle though. Good luck to you.

NEO|Phyte
2007-12-17, 11:38 PM
3) IRC chat and such, I don't remember who but there was someone running around with a link to a DnD IRC server they ran or something.

I'm not running a server, but I AM running a channel. Although there may be someone actually running a server running around, who knows.

Kizara
2007-12-17, 11:45 PM
I'm not running a server, but I AM running a channel. Although there may be someone actually running a server running around, who knows.

Yea, I wasn't thinking of you, I was thinking of the chick running the underdark chat thing.

Not that your chat is wrose or something, I have no opinion on the matter.

JackMage666
2007-12-17, 11:46 PM
So, what is with OpenRPG? I downloaded it, but it looks nothing like it says it should look. It's kinda frustrating, and I can't figure out why it doesn't work - Yes, I downloaded everything.

Kizara
2007-12-17, 11:48 PM
So, what is with OpenRPG? I downloaded it, but it looks nothing like it says it should look. It's kinda frustrating, and I can't figure out why it doesn't work - Yes, I downloaded everything.

Did you get Python and Python 32? I don't really know why, but IIRC, you need them to run it properly.

NEO|Phyte
2007-12-17, 11:53 PM
Yea, I wasn't thinking of you, I was thinking of the chick running the underdark chat thing.

Not that your chat is wrose or something, I have no opinion on the matter.
Hmm, I kinda know who you're talking about, at least enough to know its NOT namo. Unless namo and this other poster are really the same person...

JackMage666
2007-12-17, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I downloaded everything. It just doesn't work.

PS - I'm on a Mac.

Kizara
2007-12-18, 12:01 AM

PS - I'm on a Mac.

May God help you then. (or you know, someone with Mac and ORPG familiarity)

RandomFellow
2007-12-18, 12:19 AM

PS - I'm on a Mac.

http://forums.rpghost.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120

Posting there may work faster. I never use a mac.

Chronicled
2007-12-18, 12:25 AM
Hmm, I kinda know who you're talking about, at least enough to know its NOT namo. Unless namo and this other poster are really the same person...

No, I was thinking of you when I said namo :smallredface:. I've seen the other poster you speak of around, now I just need to go find her name...

JackMage666
2007-12-18, 12:41 AM
Alright, so OpenRPG for Mac is NOT working, whatsoever, even after following the posts on how to fix it, so that's a definate "No". Forums posts are going to take too long for me, and I'll get quickly bored, so that's a "No". IM games don't work too well, as said by some members, so that's a "No". I'm doomed, arn't I?

Chronicled
2007-12-18, 12:44 AM
Alright, so OpenRPG for Mac is NOT working, whatsoever, even after following the posts on how to fix it, so that's a definate "No". Forums posts are going to take too long for me, and I'll get quickly bored, so that's a "No". IM games don't work too well, as said by some members, so that's a "No". I'm doomed, arn't I?

If at first you don't succeed...

...smack your computer until OpenRPG works. Or, bite the bullet and give one of the other options a try.

RandomFellow
2007-12-18, 12:49 AM

Nope. Get rid of your Mac OS and get Ubuntu. Then see if you can get it to work. 0o

But yes, if you don't have patience your pretty much doomed if you want to play D&D online.

tyckspoon
2007-12-18, 12:50 AM

Quick question (this is of a 'is your computer plugged in?' nature, so please don't be offended; we've all overlooked easy-to-fix errors before): Is your Mac Intel or Power PC-based? Did you get the appropriate package? The OpenRPG site has both available. Beyond that: Troubleshooting computer stuff is all about information. If you want help, tell the people you're asking for help everything that could possibly be relevant (like behavior of the program when you attempt to run it, what any error messages you get say..)

JackMage666
2007-12-18, 12:54 AM
Yeah, I installed the right packages... But the fact that they're old and I have the latest Mac OS X might be the problem, as they might not have updated it yet. I followed the walk-throughs to fix it (since Macs are notorious for screwing up) and it didn't help. I'm used to it not working - It's a Mac.

However, I am running bootcamp, so I might try later on my Windows hard-drive.

Tormsskull
2007-12-18, 07:12 AM
I'm doomed, arn't I?

You don't have to be. IM games can really work, but they naturally have problems of their own:

1.) D&D 3.5 is heavily focused around combat, which of course involves using a lot of the battlemat. Movement is measured by squares, AoO are very tactical-based, etc, etc. If you're willing to ditch the battlemat completely and go with a more RP-focused less combat-focused campaign, you won't have as much of a problem.

2.) When you look for a game, make sure you know exactly what rules you have to have to play with. Some DMs will have house rules you won't like, some may play Core only, etc. Make sure you are 100% happy with a game before agreeing to play on a schedule, as if you don't, you'll be more inclined to not show up for the game.

3.) Probably less important for you (I get the feeling you want to be a player), but when you DM, set a schedule and then stick to it. Being flexible is all well and good, but if you try to reconcile 6 different people's schedules with your own, you're going to be in a world of hurt.

I'm thinking about starting up an AOL IM game sometime soon, as I've had the urge to run another campaign. If I do decide to run it, it won't start until the new year though, but if you're still looking then I'll try to drop you a PM.

AlterForm
2007-12-18, 08:09 AM
Obligatory RPTools link. Cuz' someone posted one to ORPG. (http://rptools.net/doku.php) :smalltongue:

JackMage666
2007-12-18, 08:44 AM
Tormsskull - Absolutely I'd love to. Ditching the board isn't a problems for me at all, because we've never used them in any of the groups I've been in. We've just kinda played it by ear, asking "How far away is X", then use our speeds to figure out the rest. Don't get me wrong, I know it's generally done by Squares rather than Feet, but that's just how we did it (I have no problem adapting, though).

But, yeah, if you're in need of players, I'd love to give it a shot.

Now, to try to download OpenRPG and the new link, as I've switch to Windows.

Tyrmatt
2007-12-18, 08:48 AM
I used the BoneGuardian IRC bot to aid me with dicerolls during my ill-fated foray into IRC D&D. It's quite useful.

Reinboom
2007-12-18, 08:52 AM
Obligatory RPTools link. Cuz' someone posted one to ORPG. (http://rptools.net/doku.php) :smalltongue:

I must second this.
MapTools doesn't crash so randomly as OpenRPG does.
And it looks nicer.
And it's multiplatform. (java)

JackMage666
2007-12-18, 08:59 AM
However, OpenRPG is now working, on Windows, so my great frustration from earlier is solved. I feel happy. I'm going to go hug a kitten, then eat it's spine.

RandomFellow
2007-12-18, 09:24 AM
I must second this.
MapTools doesn't crash so randomly as OpenRPG does.

OpenRPG doesn't crash randomly for most people.

And it looks nicer.
And it's multiplatform. (java)
...python is multiplatform.

@JackMage
Congrats. =)

Konig
2007-12-18, 12:17 PM
I've hosted & participated in games over AIM chat quite a few times. It has dice rolling functionality, so that's one lesser problem that's covered. It's very easy to 'pass notes' by sending a quick IM message
It's also very easy for players to get distracted. You might want to set rules to combat this - a person might get called to dinner at a moment's notice, or if they get bored, they just won't show up. Unlike a face to face game, there's less of a feeling of, say, responsibility.
Also easy to get distracted because everyone has wikipedia, games or google at their fingertips. (Oh, sorry, was playing minesweeper while I waited, were you waiting long? Yes we were.)
Off topic chat not only gets out of hand, but it can obscure the actual gameplay, making you waste time & scroll up to figure out where you were. What I did was have two chat rooms: Out of character (OOC) and In Character (IC). Someone has a joke related to the game? OOC. If they say it IC, their character says it, however strange it might be.
Combat is a problem, and since you can't tell if someone's really paying attention, it can really drag on. Tell people to have their actions ready and/or pre-typed where possible, for when their turn arrives.
If you're a master of photoshop-fu, you might want to consider using it as your 'playmat'. Using layers, you can move things without messing up the board beneath. A quick select, drag & move handles all the character movements, and then it's a quick save & upload (which is the longest part, and can take upwards of a minute.) I tried this once and it wasn't bad while Imageshack was at it's prime, but I generally stuck to doing it at the end of the round while players decided what their next actions would be.

In terms of games, I ran the temple of elemental evil (I think that was the one) successfully. That extended into a campaign, and we even successfully ran a split party at one point (slightly slow though) as the players raided an orc encampment from opposite sides. The campaign flopped as exams rolled around, around session #7, as players had other things to do. Overall, it was a pretty good sampling of the general things you run into while playing online.

I joined an online campaign by one of my players from the previous game. He wasn't a good player (Overuse of >_> and such) so I don't know why I thought he'd be a good DM. It was, quite seriously, like playing Zork. Walk to the end of a corridor, open the door (locked? pick it or kick it down) repeat 20 or more times. Kill two dire rats, ignore the big statue with large gems for eyes (too easy), 15 more empty corridors, find some captives who tell us the boss is in the next room, enter the room for a surprise round & take out the boss post haste (He was sitting in a chair, so we just took him out with nonlethal damage. His reward for a first level party? Keen +1 rapier and a quaal's feather token) and then the DM fell asleep. Like, quite seriously, his game was uneventful enough that he fell asleep at his keyboard and we barely noticed. It's been about three hours at this point.

DM wakes up & we start the second part of the adventure. We reach a village and see an ettin fleeing into the forest. Player casts a ray of enfeeblement on the ettin, rolls a 20 to hit. DM: "It misses." Argument with a now-rested DM & a now irritated gang of players ensues, and the DM resorts to "Rule Zero!" then subsequently replying with only weeaboo faces: >_> <_< >_< ^_^ etc. We quit.

I played in a few other games after that, but very few lasted beyond the second or third session for reasons I stated above. Players just don't get invested in the game quite so easily when there's no face-to-face contact..

Heliomance
2007-12-18, 12:37 PM
An alternative to OpenRPG (gametable.galactanet.com)