PDA

View Full Version : The Fourth Sun's Shadow

Gnomish Wanderer
2007-12-18, 01:11 AM
The villages gates slowly shut around the wooded area for the nite, a huge wall of wood and old sheetmetal surrounding the place. The darkening sun barely illuminated the workers, seven to each gate as they strained to close it. Meanwhile others nearby lit torches and cracked lanterns to help illuminate the town inside, the light barely wafting out of the giant walls. Inside a lush garden was being watched over again, the last time tonite. The many huts stood waywardly, some made of tree, others of rock and steel. The town, though slowly, closed for the night, and beyond that the long forests that stretch grow dark. The wind plays a slow and sad song for those who listened, and the world slept.

Vella_Malachite
2007-12-18, 03:28 AM
I am thankful that I got to a store in time to buy meagre rations and curl up to bed down for the night under an awning.

Perducci
2007-12-18, 03:55 AM
The creaking of the gates closing sent shivers down Vlad's spine. The feeling of being caged in presses upon him and lingers. The trip to find this village was hard enough. Only once or twice had he been to this place, and only then when he was younger. He had been told he could learn of 'cities' here and that drew him in like a beast to its prey.

Having no meat, skins or herbs to sell, Vlad settles down in an out of the way spot and prepares a small fire. He warms up some of his rations for a humble dinner of salted pork and lumpy bread. It isn't long before his mind trails back to the places of towering buildings.

Wonder who would know of such things...

Eldan
2007-12-18, 06:48 AM
Just on time, in the last moment before the gate closed, a foot, clad in heavy fur boots was jammed into the crack.
"Stop that for a moment.", a voice demanded, then the door was pried open a little and a figure in heavy leather armour came in.
It was a large and muscular man, with red hair and beard and a network of scars all over his face. A greatsword and a bow were strapped to his back and he wore small packs of equipment on a variety of belts and straps.
"Looking for work", he explained then, and marched into the village.

vivi
2007-12-18, 10:20 AM
A cloaked man walked through the street, and in to the inn "I would like a room" The man reached into his bag, and pulled out a few coins. "This should be enough" He went upstairs, and went into a room.

Snooglebum
2007-12-18, 04:49 PM
A young man wearing a roughly woven cloth tunic and pants is one of the last to enter the village after the gate closes, drawing odd looks from the few that are still awake, as he frantically scribbles in a battered notebook he carries with him.
He walks with a slouch, possibly due to the heavy weight on his back; the backpack he wears is stuffed to explode. The weight of the warmace at his side, and the crossbow slug around his back certainly do not help. Looking up and noticing the late hour, he walked to the nearest inn, and went inside to bed down for the night. Yet a light from his room still shines as he stays up, presumably still writing in his tattered old notebook.

thevorpalbunny
2007-12-18, 06:26 PM
An odd-looking humanoid with midnight-black skin hears the gates closing from the garden. "I think it's time to turn in, Rhodry." he said to the wolf at his side. "There won't be any excitement today." Rhodry growls. "No, I'm not sure if that's a good thing, either."
Chevaril rolls out his bedroll, lies down and goes to sleep while Rhodry curls up beside him.

Chavik
2007-12-18, 07:13 PM
as night falls a young man with a heavy pack goes about setting up camp, on a hill overlooking the village. Watching as the lights go out and the gates close he mentally prepares for what he'll say when he goes into town tommorrow morning. He says a quick prayer and then slides into his bedroll, leaning against a tree and clutching his bow in his hands.

Vella_Malachite
2007-12-18, 07:35 PM
I feed a piece of meat to the wolf next to me absently, looking at all the people arriving.

"They don't look like they belong here," I note to the wolf.

Gnomish Wanderer
2007-12-19, 01:07 AM
The air was silent and the world was dark. The tiny inn, though crammed with visitors, also remained silent. The world seemed dead as the wind also died, its song ending.

Like a sudden breath, the wind picked up to a low howl, making trees dance and sending a wail throughout the village. Shortly after, the sky lit up and the world was like day for a moment. The light faded red, and dissappeared into the distance.

The light, it seemed, manifested from behind the village, far up north. As it died to a reddish color, it streaked downward beyond the horizon.

The world beyond returned to silence again, though many of the villagers left their homes to see the cause of the illumination.

Vella_Malachite
2007-12-19, 02:24 AM
I put an arm around the wolf's neck and ask him: "Do you think coming into the town was wise?"

I begin to look around for escape routes.

thevorpalbunny
2007-12-19, 08:48 AM
Though Chevaril has fallen asleep, Rhodry is still half-awake, and is fully woken up by the sudden light. He nuzzles Chevaril awake, and he quickly comes to. "Huh? What is it?" Looking around, he sees the very end of the red streak. "Was that really worth waking me for? Go back to sleep. I'll ask about it in the morning."

vivi
2007-12-19, 09:46 AM
Ethan, seeing the light through the window, grabbed his pack and bow, and ran down stairs to the main street. When he got there he asked "What was that?" He put a an arrow to his bow and looked 'round.

Snooglebum
2007-12-19, 12:03 PM
Samuel, hearing all the commotion, sticks his head out the window and manages to see the red light before it fades, and he begins feverishly scribbling in his notebook. Unfortunately, he overbalances and falls out the window, which sounded something like this: "Hmm... Why is-- by Lahnlar! What was that light? I've never seen anything like it! Let's see... The wind picked up late in the night, followed by the illu--WAAAGGGGHHH!!!! *Thump*"

Eldan
2007-12-19, 01:48 PM
Rimgar jumps out of bed as he sees the light in the distance, grabbing his sword and bow.
Explosion?, he thinks, while running down the stairs. Mages?

Perducci
2007-12-19, 02:10 PM
Vlad was still sitting in front of his little fire with his eyes closed half-asleep when the wind and light started. He jerks to full wakefullness and stamps out his fire. He gathers his things and looks about for a high place where he could look northward over the wall.

vivi
2007-12-19, 03:55 PM
Ethan walks over to the man who fell out the window. "are you okay?" Ethan offers a hand to the man. "Any Idea of what that flash was?"

The man was ~25, tall, had green eyes, and brown hair. He had a tunic with chain mail under it. Ethan also saw a holy symbol 'round the mans neck.

Maurkov
2007-12-19, 04:09 PM
Thaden happened to be passing under Samuel's window, though not near enough to prevent the accident. "I think it was a fireball-- that is, a very bright meteor."

Thaden is a strapping red-haired youth. He shows his courier's bag, "Any mail headed north?"

Snooglebum
2007-12-19, 05:33 PM
Samuel takes Ethan's hand, saying "yes, thanks, I'm--ow... That smarts..." Then he hears Thaden, and says, with a note of excitement in his voice: "A meteor! Wow, I've never seen one! I better write this down!" He starts pulling out his notebook, but halts to take a letter out from his pack and hand it to Thaden.
"If you get anywhere near Lahnholm, could you deliver this? It's for my parents"
He says, handing him a few gold pieces. "Now", he says with a gleam in his eye, "I'm going to check that meteor out"
(OOC: I hope I got your names right. :smallconfused:)

Maurkov
2007-12-19, 06:02 PM
Thaden

"Parents," Thaden repeats thoughtfully, "Names?" Gold and letter vanish into the bag.

"Now? You mean right now? It may be quite a distance. Leave tomorrow and I'll go with you, at least as near as the road takes us."

Snooglebum
2007-12-19, 07:42 PM
"It's not urgent", says Samuel distractedly, "You can deliver it whenever you see fit." He turns to Ethan "I'm going over there, you coming?"

vivi
2007-12-19, 07:54 PM
Ethan tightens the straps on his backpack, then speaks "I'll come with you, when are we leaving? Now?"

He strides over to the inn and grabs a book, "What's your name?" Ethan asks. "Mine is Ethan Silentshot"

Ethan hands the book to the man "Must of dropped it"

Eldan
2007-12-20, 11:52 AM
Now fully armored up and equipped Rimgar walks out on the town square.
"So you two are the brave explorers of this village, then?" , he says to Samuel and Ethan, with a broad sneer.
"I'll take the opportunity to see you in action. I bet it will be *extraordinarily*impressive."

Maurkov
2007-12-20, 02:43 PM
Thaden hastily appraises the new arrival. Bully. He stays to the side and watches to see how the scholar will deal with the brute.

Snooglebum
2007-12-20, 04:54 PM
"Oh, I'm not from this village", says Samuel, waving a hand dismissively, "I'm from Lahnholm, up north." He turns to Ethan. "Well met, Ethan Silentshot. I'm Samuel Flanders, and in answer to your question, I'd like to leave as soon as possible. Think of what could be learned from studying a meteor! Oh, and thanks for finding my notebook. I don't know what I would do without it" He turns to the other two men, saying "Are you two coming as well?" He asks.

Eldan
2007-12-20, 05:13 PM
"Wouldn't want to miss it."
Rimgars sneer turns into a real and friendly smile. He is at least 1.90m tall, with upper arms the size of small children, a chest like a beer barrel and clad from neck to toes in black, studded leather. He has an enormous mass of red hair, both falling over his back and as a full beard. About a dozen small scars cover his face and even more showed up on his hands. He wasn't young anymore, about probably nearly thirty, which made him an old man when compared to most travelling mercenaries. His backpack was stuffed full with various items, even a small beer barrel strapped underneath it and a greatsword with a blade of over a meter lenght and a good twenty centimeters of crossguard beneath it.
"I'm Rimgar. May Odin not let you join his forces today."

vivi
2007-12-20, 05:36 PM
Ethan came to the same conclusion as Thaden, the man was a bully. "So your coming with us then?" Ethan was hoping the man would back down and leave them alone.

Eldan
2007-12-20, 05:58 PM
"Oh yes, I am. Craters are always fascinating, even the old ones. If there's a new one around, I have to see it."
He looks around.
"Well then, everyone ready to go hiking a little?"

Maurkov
2007-12-20, 07:32 PM
Thaden

I've been walking all day AND I already paid for my room. Damn.

"I'm not accustomed to being a voice of wisdom, but shouldn't we wait until... morning? You know, when there's light and fewer wild things about? At this time of night they may not even open the gates."

Thaden is nearly as large and heavily built as the northman. A certain softness indicates he probably spends less of his time actually working. His thick red hair is cut spikey short. Across his lip is an orange caterpillar which under certain lighting conditions could be mistaken for a mustache.

Snooglebum
2007-12-20, 08:12 PM
"You're right." Says Samuel, nodding to Thaden.
"It probably would be best to wait until morning. Who knows what horrible things could be waiting for us? Oh, and I didn't hear you say your name." After a pause, he grins sheepishly and says: "By the way, what's your name? I forgot to ask."

vivi
2007-12-20, 11:03 PM
"I say we leave at 1 hour past dawn, get an early start!"

Ethan waited to see if they agreed with him.

OOC, do we use time(6 a.m.) or more loose ways of saying it( an hour before dawn)?

Maurkov
2007-12-20, 11:39 PM
Thaden

"Right. I'm Thaden."

"Dawn or an hour past," Thaden shrugs, "Just don't leave without me. We can meet up in the square.

"I've got a pretty good bearing. Anyone want to estimate how far away it hit?"

Perducci
2007-12-21, 10:03 AM
Vlad abandons his idea of looking northward and approaches the huddle of people. An idea pops into his head.

Excuse me, but you all seem like the adventuring type...do any of you know anything of the great cities?

thevorpalbunny
2007-12-21, 10:48 AM
Chevaril gets up, not having had any luck sleeping anyway.
He mutters to his sleeping wolf friend, "Maybe you were right, Rhodry. Something unnatural about this whole thing. I think I'll take a look."
He gets up and walks toward the center of town. When he sees the group, he approaches the woman with the wolf on the edge. He speaks to her in Druidic first: "Hello. I'm Chevaril. What's going on here?"

vivi
2007-12-21, 11:45 AM
"No I don't know anything about any big cities, why do you ask?"
Ethan wonders why anyone would such a question...

Eldan
2007-12-21, 12:44 PM
Rimgar shrugs.
"I've only seen them from a distance, while passing by. We always stayed away. Legends claim that they are bad places, full of monsters and deadly curses. I usually don't believe in Legends, but once I saw an entire unit run into a city, to the south and east from here, and they never came back."
Then his previous grin comes back.-
"By Thor's Random Violence! I sound like an old man."

Snooglebum
2007-12-21, 01:44 PM
Samuel, looking bemusedly at the gathering crowd, says "quite a group we have here. I've never been in one of the Cities myself, but I think all the horror stories are just legends." He pauses to get his bearings. "I'd be fine with an hour past dawn. I'm an early riser. And good question, Thaden. Does someone have an idea of where it hit?"

Eldan
2007-12-21, 02:20 PM
"Well... we all saw the flash of light. I say we just walk into that direction. If this crater is anything like the ancient ones, we won't miss it."

vivi
2007-12-21, 02:20 PM
"It would be within a days hike, I would think"

Ethan started to wonder if the old legends were true. "Now lets sleep, we will need to have some energy if we're to make it before night fall!"

Maurkov
2007-12-21, 06:34 PM
Thaden

"I hope it's that easy. If we miss our bearing by a single degree, after fifteen miles we'll be off by a quarter mile*." He pauses. "I shouldn't be so negative. It's just nothing on my journey so far has been as easy as I'd thought it would be." Thinking to the coins just bestowed by Samuel, he asks, "Who else is getting a few drinks before turning in?"

((*With 4 ranks (+6) knowledge arcana, I can know that, right?))

vivi
2007-12-21, 07:20 PM
"I'll pay" Ethan offered.

((How many ranks do you have in Knowledge (mathematics)? :smalltongue:))

Vella_Malachite
2007-12-22, 01:21 AM
Suddenly, you hear a voice yell "NO, Berra, STOP!".

There is a large wolf bounding towards you, and a 20-ish year old woman running towards you. The wolf stops at her command and she reaches down to pat it, looking embarrassed. "Sorry," she mutters, "I didn't mean for Berra to do that. Did you see the light over there? If you're investigating it, I would like to come. It's been so long since I've spent time with other people." She looks wistful and a little sad.

Gnomish Wanderer
2007-12-22, 02:33 AM
OOC: Sorry for not posting, I was trying to let interpersonal relationships fester. From what I gather, Teratrix and Chaviril are talking while Sam, Ethan, Vlad, Rimgar, and Thaden are talking in front of the inn. That means only Jon is excluded for now.

The town begins to quiet down slowly, everyone returning to their beds and houses. Each individual seems more annoyed by the event than anything else, so the crowd seems to have disbursed as quickly as it arrived.

After everyone else had left, one man remained. "Hey, what are you all doin' just standing around at night? That wasn't nuthin' to worry about! Get back in yer beds!" said the large and overweight man, his strange accent and booming voice almost overbearingly powerful. He sighed and walked back into the inn.

Shortly a sound begins again; a loud knocking at the main gate. A screaming shortly follows. "Let me in! Help!" the voice screams, becoming shrill from what sounds like it would normally be rough and low. The sound of his fist frantically beating on the door can barely be heard at all under the yelling.

vivi
2007-12-22, 11:08 AM
Ethan dashes over to the gate, trying to see whats happening. "Who's there?"

Ethan tries to open the gate.

Snooglebum
2007-12-22, 11:41 AM
"Careful Ethan, it might be an trick!" Says Samuel, running after Ethan. He pulls out a lantern from his pack and lights it as he runs, saying "here, let's have some light"
EDIT: OOC: hey Gnome_4ever, You're the DM right? Is the screaming still going on? Or has it stopped?

thevorpalbunny
2007-12-22, 12:11 PM
"I saw the end of it. It's happened before, but it doesn't usually wake everybody up. My wolf friend, Rhodry, got nervous about it so I decided to look around and see who else woke up."

vivi
2007-12-22, 12:26 PM
Ethan stops trying to open the gate and looks at Samuel, "smart thinking Samuel, gotta know who I'm helping before I start helping"

Maurkov
2007-12-22, 01:16 PM
Thaden

Thaden watches his free drinks new companions bolt for the gates. Cursing silently, he follows after but veers, looking for an armory, watchtower, or some local with the authority to open the gate.

vivi
2007-12-22, 03:37 PM
Ethan looks to see how high the wall is, and if he could climb it to see who or what that wanted help.

Perducci
2007-12-22, 06:45 PM
Why would I want to know of the great cities?!?! I want to explore them. They seem very strange and myst..... He pauses when he hears the banging at the gates.

He follows the others to the gate and fits an arrow into his bow.

Snooglebum
2007-12-23, 11:51 AM
After arriving at the gate and listening for a few seconds, Samuel shouts: "who's there? Are you all right?" Fearing an attack, he casts Protection from Evil on Ethan, whispering "just in case".

vivi
2007-12-23, 11:58 AM
"Thank you" Ethan starts climbing the wall to get a better view.

Vella_Malachite
2007-12-24, 01:56 AM
"I hear some people talking over there. They sound like they're talking about investigating the mystery, too. Shall we join them?"

thevorpalbunny
2007-12-24, 03:27 PM
"Sounds fine. We might as well know what we can and share what we know."

Snooglebum
2007-12-27, 05:47 PM

Ethan waited to see if they agreed with him.
"That sounds like a good idea to me." Says Samuel, nodding.

Gnomish Wanderer
2007-12-29, 02:21 AM
The large wooden planks of the door restricted most of the light from moving through, so only the faintest of shadows were cast on the other side. A man's pale face and blood-soaked clothes could be made out for a short amount of time by those looking through, and he continued to scream for help. The villagers were out of their houses again, most standing around with indecision, remorse, or confusion glued on their faces. Just as Ethan reaches the top of the wall, the man and his scream vanish. Thaden notices an older man, wearing mostly deerskin and colorful feathers, walking around the village and talking to everryone in a hushed low voice.

Maurkov
2007-12-29, 12:23 PM
Thaden

Thaden interrupts the one he's identified as a village elder. He rushes through obligatory greetings and asks, "With your permission, I would open gates. That man might," the voice cuts off and Thaden glances that way, "still be saved. We have enough warriors; nothing that the gate would deter will get past us, I assure you." Thaden continues to rapidly press his case until the elder yields or firmly denies the request.

diplomacy [roll0]

vivi
2007-12-30, 07:00 PM
Ethan tries to see if there is anything else besides the man who vanished,
spot check [roll0]

Gnomish Wanderer
2008-01-02, 12:28 AM
The aged man listens to Thaden, his white beard shifting in the wind. Afterward he calmly turns behind him to send another couple back to thier homes and then returns his attention back. "There are some things Outsiders should not try to deal with, and this is one of them. You cannot know your enemie's strengths, and thus don't know your own."Ethan

You manage to make out a trail of blood and overly-disrupted dirt that leads to a glimpse of fleeting eyes. They appeared about as small as arrowheads, but were an armslength apart from eachother. Then they were gone.

Maurkov
2008-01-02, 02:50 AM
Thaden

"Respectfully, sir, I am not satisfied. I want to get out there now, with half a dozen at my back because I'm going to be walking that road tomorrow, maybe alone. May I open the gate?"

Perducci
2008-01-02, 01:33 PM
Vlad lowers his bow and returns his arrow.

Perhaps we could attempt to track them in the morning when the light of day shines. That seems a wiser option that running around blindly chasing after whatever that was.

vivi
2008-01-02, 07:45 PM
"I am a tracker, I could do it"

Perducci
2008-01-02, 10:21 PM
Vlad smiles.

So am I, comrade.

Gnomish Wanderer
2008-01-04, 12:10 AM
The old man listens carefully, and again speaks calmly to Thaden. "I cannot risk the safety of my people for the folly of one. You must wait untill morning. Those gates will not open otherwise."

Maurkov
2008-01-04, 01:04 AM
Thaden says, "Fine," in a tone that suggests it's not really fine. He stalks off towards the gate.

If that man dies when we could have saved him.... Damn fossil. So old he probably lived through the meltdown. If I was that cowardly....

Thaden glances down and notices his hands are working as if to crush something. He wills himself calm. Spotting Ethan, he asks up, "Can you see anything? Do you need more light?"

vivi
2008-01-04, 07:35 PM
Ethan replies, but in a voice of confusion, "Blood...".

Ethan, shaking his head looks at the man who claims to be a tracker,"What be your name?".

Perducci
2008-01-06, 09:03 PM
Vlad stick his hand out.

Vlad. And yours?

vivi
2008-01-07, 10:49 AM
"Ethan, Ethan Silentshot" Ethan grabs Vlads hand and shakes.

Vella_Malachite
2008-01-11, 09:38 PM
I tentatively approach with my wolf at my side.

"Hello? Can we"*indicates Chaviril, I and our wolves* "join you? My name's Teratrix. We heard you discussing the light, and we thought maybe we'd come to join you. We're curious about it, too."

Maurkov
2008-01-12, 12:03 AM
Thaden sighs. "See you inside." He heads back to the inn for a drink.

vivi
2008-01-12, 03:26 PM
Ethan looks at the group. "C'mon, lets go inside and discuss these events." Ethan starts to follow Thaden.

thevorpalbunny
2008-01-13, 09:25 AM
Chevaril
"Sounds like a plan to me." he says to Ethan.
When the group has entered the inn and sat down, he says, "I don't remember seeing any of you around here before recently, so you probably don't know that this wasn't the first time these things showed up in the sky. The strange part of this one was that it woke so many people up."

Vella_Malachite
2008-01-14, 08:19 AM
Suddenly a dreamy look comes over my face.
"What are people but the dreams of unearthly gods unknown?"

I shake my head. "Sorry, what did you say again?"

Gnomish Wanderer
2008-01-16, 05:15 PM
(Don't worry, I didn't abandon you! Now that holi8days and other stuff like that are over, I'm trying to return this game to an at least every other day post for me. Well, you all are in the inn, which apparently has a tavern on the bottom floor.)

The large man again looks at you all entering. "Are ya all gonna go back to yer rooms or stay down here yappin? Either way, the tables will still be here, so just don't disturb me." He lumbers off into a back room behind the bar counter.

Perducci
2008-01-16, 11:54 PM
Vlad heads inside and remains with the group. He mostly sits quiet and takes in everything that he can. He absent mindedly plays around with his thumbs.

Maurkov
2008-01-17, 02:40 AM
Thaden

"Yapp'n. Yapp'n 'n drink'n."

Despite his words, Thaden heads to bed fairly quickly. The un-actualized violence has him out of sorts, unable to concentrate on conversation.

thevorpalbunny
2008-01-18, 10:53 AM
Chevaril goes over to the other druid and says "It was good to meet you. I look forward to seeing you tomorrow."
He then takes his leave of the others and returns to his bed.

vivi
2008-01-19, 07:18 PM
Before Thaden leaves Ethan asks "So who's coming?"

After everybody answers, Ethan pays the tab and goes back to his room.

Vella_Malachite
2008-01-19, 10:45 PM
Teratrix sighs in relief that no-one noticed her slip-up.

"What am I going to do, Berra? I got myself into this, now I have to get out before I'm chased out again."

She sits miserable with Berra for a while, then goes to sleep.

Maurkov
2008-01-20, 01:43 AM
Thaden

"So who's coming?""Oh, I."

thevorpalbunny
2008-01-20, 09:36 AM
Chevaril
"I also."

Vella_Malachite
2008-01-22, 02:03 AM
The next morning, Teratrix orders some breakfast at the bar and pays for it, settling down at a table to eat.

Maurkov
2008-01-23, 12:41 AM
Thaden wakes late but grabs food that will travel and is soon standing impatiently by the door.

vivi
2008-01-28, 10:48 PM
Ethan joins Thaden "I'm going to look at the blood again, to see if there is any sign of what did it, wanna come with?"

Ethan walks out to the gate and sees what's there.

Search check 1d20+4 or Spot check 1d20+5

Vella_Malachite
2008-01-29, 12:07 AM
Teratrix, having finished her breakfast, joins you.

"Found anything?"

Perducci
2008-01-29, 12:16 AM
Vlad says nothing but follows Ethan to go look around. He scouts around a bit, hoping to decipher which way "it" went.

Search [roll0]
Survival to track it [roll1]

thevorpalbunny
2008-01-29, 07:39 AM
Chevaril
Chevaril comes out to the group and meets Teratrix and Ethan as they are leaving. "What are you looking for? Can I give you a hand?"

Search check: 19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1475911/)
Spot check: 6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1475912/)

vivi
2008-01-29, 10:52 AM
"Sure" Ethan answers, ignoring the first question.

Search check [roll0] Spot check [roll1] and Survival check [roll2]

Vella_Malachite
2008-01-30, 05:56 PM
I get Berra to see if she smells anything, any tracks, etc.

Survival check (track): [roll0]

Snooglebum
2008-01-30, 08:05 PM
OOC: Sorry for not posting for so long, in case my OOC post goes unnoticed.
My computer stopped working. (Gah!)

Samuel, at this point wakes up. As he gets out of bed, somthing niggles at the back of his mind until, with no warning, he remebers that he was supposed to join everybody to investigate the strange events of last night. Cursing to himself, he gathers his possessions, and runs out the door of the inn in a panic. He sprints up to the group outside the gate, panting heavily, and says "*gasp* did-- did I miss anything"?!?

Gnomish Wanderer
2008-01-31, 02:14 AM
(I shoulda wrote this earlier but procrastinated. Here's some flavor and I'll edit actions momentarily.)

The rest of the night moves on with an uneasy feel in the air. As morning aproaches and the sun begins to dance colors on the sky, movement creeps in from the houses below. Shortly another large band of men from the village leave their homes and head to the gates, each one grabbing one of the ropes on the bottom. The elder man stands in the center near a small well that serves as the town center, his grey eyes simply staring around thoughtfully. Some thick clouds can be seen moving from the west, but still seem a few miles off. As the gates are tugged open and the forest revealed a new day starts.

The dense forest ouside the gate is splashed with blood, the scoffs in the dirt of a standard boot. The blood trails off thinly into the woods, and many of you notice broken brances as high as 7 feet up the nearest tree. The trail both started and left obviously to the north-east.

thevorpalbunny
2008-01-31, 12:30 PM
Chevaril
"Ethan, Teratrix; Look here. There's a giant clawed print. Have you seen these before?"

OOC: It looks human, but large, clawed, and with deformed toes

Maurkov
2008-01-31, 12:44 PM
Thaden stands around, gripping and regripping his spear while he waits for the others to practice their woodcraft. "We should get moving before the weather changes."

[roll0]

vivi
2008-01-31, 06:48 PM
Ethan looks up as Samuel approaches "Hello Samuel, nice to see you" Ethan stands up "Are you gonna lead, it was your idea in the first place"

Ethan attempts to track the trail of blood(use check from old post)

Snooglebum
2008-02-01, 02:36 PM
"Hmm." Says Samuel, contemplating Ethan's question. "I don't think so, I've never been much of a leader."

Maurkov
2008-02-02, 11:33 AM
Thaden

"This way, right?" Thaden follows the obvious trail, occassionally glancing up at the gathering clouds.

Vella_Malachite
2008-02-03, 12:31 AM
Knowledge: Nature check for the footprint: [roll0].

Teratrix begins to follow Thadin down the path.

Snooglebum
2008-02-03, 12:37 PM
Samuel glances at Thaden and Teratrix, shrugs, and says "I guess we're leaving now" and starts to follow them.

thevorpalbunny
2008-02-03, 07:44 PM
Chevaril
Following Thaden and Teratrix, Chevaril remarks to Samuel, "Neither of our companions seems to be long on words. I believe I approve."

Vella_Malachite
2008-02-07, 03:19 AM
Teratrix remarks: "By the way, guys, did you see that print back there? It looked human at first, but then I saw it had strange, bulbous toes. Any ideas? I..." She hesitates momentarily, as if reluctant to tell you the next bit, "didn't know what it was. Sorry." She looks down for a second, then speeds up a little.

vivi
2008-02-07, 11:27 AM
(lets assume I made made my survival check)

"C'mon, lets try to make it be dusk" Ethan starts to speed up

Vella_Malachite
2008-02-11, 03:14 AM
The strange look comes over Teratrix's face.

"Dusk lives only in the hearts and souls of men"

She shakes her head as if to clear it, then looks both horrified and embarrassed.

"Oh, god, what did I just say?"

thevorpalbunny
2008-02-11, 04:18 PM
Chevaril
"Are you OK, Teratrix? That's the second time you said something and didn't remember what you said a moment later."

vivi
2008-02-11, 10:50 PM
"Samuel!"Ethan shouts,"Can you make sure Teratrix is OK?"

Snooglebum
2008-02-12, 04:17 PM
"What do you want me to do? I'm don't know what the problem is."
Says Samuel, looking worried.

Snooglebum
2008-02-12, 04:18 PM
"What do you want me to do? I'm don't know what the problem is."
Says Samuel, looking worried.

Vella_Malachite
2008-02-13, 03:06 AM
Teratrix looks down, avoiding your eyes.

"I don't know, Chevaril," she says tersely, "It just happens..." she looks back up at you again, and she looks resigned, but almost frightened. "You can ask me to leave if you like. E-everyone else did."

She looks down again and half-turns to go.

thevorpalbunny
2008-02-13, 09:51 AM
Chevaril
"I can't speak for "everyone else", but I believe that nothing that happens makes you less worthy of having a place to belong. I know I was totally mad when I found Rhodry and less than sane when I met Thom, my druidic master. No matter what has happened to you, it can be fixed."

Snooglebum
2008-02-13, 01:53 PM
"Why would I ask you to leave? I cannot speak for everybody else, but I find no reason to do so."

Maurkov
2008-02-13, 02:28 PM
Thaden

Thaden holds up for a minute. "Look, as long as you're not a danger to yourself or others, I've got no problem. I do ask that we keep the conversation to a minimum. Let's not announce our presence to the thing that left those tracks. Good?"

Vella_Malachite
2008-02-15, 02:37 AM
Teratrix nods, relieved.

"Thanks," she whispers, then hesitates and adds, "If you want, I can explain later."

Gnomish Wanderer
2008-02-18, 10:19 PM
The group does indeed travel silently for a while, the crisp air being the only sound. After hours of traveling you comes across the black rock path. Vines and grass break the smooth surface in places, and the edges crumble into the surounding forest. A thick tree in the center of the path sways gently to the breeze. Its gnarled roots stretch out in and through slabs of the dark rock, reaching in every direction. Beyond the black stretches on, surrounded by trees in both directions.

Vella_Malachite
2008-02-20, 02:00 AM
I make a Spot check

[roll0]

Maurkov
2008-02-20, 02:39 AM
Thaden

Thaden asks quietly, "Are we still following those tracks?"

Snooglebum
2008-02-20, 03:40 PM
"What tracks?" Asks Samuel, displaying his excllent memory.

thevorpalbunny
2008-02-21, 05:46 PM
Chevaril
"The strange tracks which looked like clawed human feet. Those tracks."

Vella_Malachite
2008-02-23, 10:40 PM
"We should have been," says Teratrix, "I wonder if they have anything to do with the strange flash of light?"

Maurkov
2008-02-24, 12:34 AM
Thaden

"Okay. Good," he says, but shrugs off the question. Thaden looks up at the tree growing in the path. "See if you can pick up the trail again. I'm going to climb up and see if I can get a better look around."

If he can't get up with a 12 (by taking 10), he'll take a risk [roll0]. If he makes it up, he'll take 20 on the spot (for a 19).

vivi
2008-03-07, 09:41 AM
Ethan

"I'll come with you" Ethan said, following Thaden.

[roll0] If that fails, take 10(for 14). Then he makes a spot check [roll1] and readies his bow.

vivi
2008-03-24, 09:19 AM
((OC: Is this game dead?))

Maurkov
2008-03-24, 10:52 AM
I've found that if you have to ask, the answer is yes.

Vella_Malachite
2008-03-30, 03:57 PM
I start to look around on the ground for the tracks.

One wisdom bonus and one rank in Spot, so: [roll0]