PDA

View Full Version : Getting Published?

Goober4473
2007-12-18, 02:29 AM
I've been making custom stuff for D&D for a long time, and more recently I've looked at published material and said, "I can do that," or sometimes, "I could do better." But I have no idea where to start, who to talk to, etc.

Does anyone here know anything about this? Has anyone published anything before? Or maybe know someone who has, or a website with more information about it? I'm not in a hurry, since I want to finish what I'm working on before talking to publishers about it, but I'd like to know what goes into it.

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction with this.

Blayze
2007-12-18, 09:16 AM
I had a book published by Lulu.com about a year ago. It's an automated system, but there's a number of things you need to look out for that might require adjustments to what you submit.

Kneenibble
2007-12-18, 01:59 PM
Mr. Goober,
Are you talking about creative writing or something else, like flavour text in D&D material? If it's the former, I have an answer for you... If it's the latter, I do not.

Lensman
2007-12-18, 02:37 PM
A good place to start is RPGNow, which sells RPG scenarios and materials in .pdf format. We set up our own company, Mhorann Games, and published a couple of d20 system scenarios. Be warned - you are unlikely to make much money unless you are very lucky - the market is flooded with material, and there is only a small chance that your scenarios will be noticed.

You cannot sell something as D&D, only as d20 (with the proviso that you need the D&D3 rulebooks to play). Visit the Wizards of the Coast site and go to
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/welcome

This has the d20 system documentation you will need to read, in particular the Open Gaming License which sets out the rules for producing material.

To see what sort of thing can be done, (plug plug) see my commercial site, www.mhorann.demon.co.uk/mgames.htm

You will need a program to convert text into a pdf file, and you really need artwork and so forth.

Best of luck!

Sleet
2007-12-18, 03:38 PM
Get to know a current writer or publisher. Demonstrate that you can produce decent material in a timely manner. I've had material published because I simply knew a guy working on a good project who needed a hand, and I convinced him that I'm competent and professional.

It really is largely a matter of who you know.

(And professionalism counts. Grammar, spelling, hitting your deadlines. These things count. A lot.)

Goober4473
2007-12-18, 04:00 PM
Mr. Goober,
Are you talking about creative writing or something else, like flavour text in D&D material? If it's the former, I have an answer for you... If it's the latter, I do not.

I'm interested in publishing a d20 setting/system. Sort of in the style of say, Star Wars Saga Edition, but it would require the D&D SRD to play. I'd be redoing how classes, races, and skills work, and making a setting for the system to go in.

I'll take a look at RPGNow and see how that all works.

Thanks.