PDA

View Full Version : What would your ideal character race look like?

Magnus_Samma
2007-12-18, 03:16 AM
I'm tinkering with an idea for a campaign setting, and I'd like to include some original PC races that don't conform to the usual fantasy ideal. If you could design a PC with any visual look that you wanted, what would it be?

Tempest Fennac
2007-12-18, 03:54 AM
I'd go with half-fox creatures called Vulpines which are about the same size as humans with digigrad legs as well as the same hands as humans. They would normally limit their clothing to loose robes (with armour if they were warriors) while going barepawed (shoes would be awkward to wear due to how their legs are designed). They would have the following stats: -2 Str, +2 Wis, +2 to all Survival checks, Low-light vision, +2 to any saving throws to resist cold effects and +4 to resist cold weather (they have reasonably thick fur coats) and they woul be perminantly under the effects of a Talk with Animals spell while using Durid as their favoured class. (I was aiming for LA 0, so plase could you tell me if you think this race is too powerful. Also, would making them so that they don't sufer from any adverse effects due to aging make them overpowered?).

Culture wise, they would typically live in small villages in forests while typically being trained as Druids at a young age, assuming they have a good enough Wis stat (they would believe that protecting nature is the most important thing there is while typically being Neutral Good). They would also mate for life normally and cubs from different parents would be brought up by the whole village. Vulpines who aren't cut out to become Druids would be most likely to become Wizards or Archivists (they would favour magic over weapon-focussed classes due to typically being relatively weak physically), or possibly Experts or Rangers. Any other Vulpines would be trained as crafts people. Males and females are also seen as equal with the village's leader usually being the highest level Druid in the area. They also have the same age catagories as humans.

(I was basically going for a Nature/Magic orientated race other then Elves).

Vulpine Paragon Class:

BAB: Rogue. HD: d8. Class skills: Survival, Spot, Listen, Balance, Tumble, Hide, Move Silently, Craft, Handle Animal. Skill points: 4. Good saves: Reflex+ Will.

1: Duration of all Summon spells increaded by 2 rounds, Scent.
2: +1 Druid spellcasting level, Darkvision.
3: +1 Druid spellcasting level, +2 Wis.

Please could you tell me if this in overpowered as well?

Yami
2007-12-18, 04:01 AM
Gnolls.

They have the whole feral predator look about them that you standard player races are lacking.

Tempest Fennac
2007-12-18, 04:29 AM
I know what you mean about Gnolls (I like them because hyenas are one of my favourite kinds of animal).

averagejoe
2007-12-18, 04:33 AM
I'm tinkering with an idea for a campaign setting, and I'd like to include some original PC races that don't conform to the usual fantasy ideal. If you could design a PC with any visual look that you wanted, what would it be?

What do you consider to be "the usual fantasy ideal?"

Revlid
2007-12-18, 04:41 AM
I also like Gnolls, for the reasons above.

However, if you're talking about homebrew, I'd love to use some homebrew rules for the Bangaa (http://www.ffcompendium.com/art/12-bangaa-a.jpg).

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-12-18, 05:40 AM
I wanna play a race like this.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Nny2/Rorkannu.jpg

Maroon
2007-12-18, 05:42 AM
They'd be Gnomes that don't conform to the usual fantasy trope. No pranks, no jolliness, no talking to animals, just vengeance and insanity and talking to elder gods beyond human understanding. Alternatively, sex, drugs and rock and roll.

Starsinger
2007-12-18, 05:46 AM
They'd be Gnomes that don't conform to the usual fantasy trope. No pranks, no jolliness, no talking to animals, just vengeance and insanity and talking to elder gods beyond human understanding. Alternatively, sex, drugs and rock and roll.

Don't you mean.. sex drugs and rock and gnoll? :smallwink:

My personal favorite fantasy race has been the Wing Clan from breath of fire series. Something about a race of winged humanoids that aren't angels gets me every time in that place where you get gotten when you see a good idea..

Droodle
2007-12-18, 05:50 AM
What would your ideal character race look like?Liv Tyler.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-12-18, 06:13 AM
There was a module...I forget the name...but the Rakasta became part of the Mystara campaign world...don't ask me how.

Rakasta were a race of oriental style warriors who also happend to be cat people. If I remember correctly, the Rakasta had no bonus or penalty to their stats in 2nd ed...and had the same maximum ability scores as humans...the only difference was that they had claws and a bite, low-light vision, and superior senses, along with a nack for using 'warclaws' (metal caps on their claws, kinda like a clawed gauntlet)...the module I remmeber had the local Rakasta as a bunch of ninja cats...if they were turtles I would have died :smallbiggrin:

Some people have tried various methods for making them 3rd ed. two versions have them with +2 dex and a penalty to either con or wisdom with very basic bonuses to spot, listen, lowlight to 60' etc...

another two versions is in the manner of savage species which gives them some pretty beefy stat boosts and the abilities of tigers(pounce being a big one). While perhaps more in the flavor of a catman, the resulting race is a 2HD monstrous humanoid and is a +1 LA, so a level 1 character is effectively lvl 4...

If I was gonna include a new race...I would find a way to include these catmen...I like cats...Not sure if I would make them more like the savage species version or the simple version...

Talic
2007-12-18, 06:19 AM
Cyclops with eyebeams...

errr...

eyebeam.

Tempest Fennac
2007-12-18, 06:20 AM
I'd go with the simpler version to avoid the LA. Were these the simple Rakastas you were refering to? http://pandius.com/raka35e.html and http://pandius.com/rakast3e.html .

F.L.
2007-12-18, 06:42 AM
An idea I just had was for a fire elemental (or creature from the EPF) wandering around the prime material in the equivalent of a spacesuit. It would only be able to communicate with patched together versions of the voices of creatures it has heard talking. Not sure how this could be a char race, it seems like it would be an encounter, not a race.

Satyr
2007-12-18, 06:56 AM
Tapirfolk. Big, sturdy, physically impressing Tapirfolk that has wiped out the local cat humanoid population.
A) As far as I know, The potential of Tapirfolk has not yet been exploited. They are a frsh idea compared to yawning boring standards.
B) Tapirs are just awesome (like all animals that can smell in an other direction as they look).
C) I always like the big, muscled ones more than the flimsey small ones.
D) I just hate Catpeople and I want them wiped out - if I can have that been done by big Tapirfolk warriors, the better.

Tempest Fennac
2007-12-18, 07:19 AM
Why do you hate humanoid cats so much? A tapirfolk race would be interesting, though.

Tyrmatt
2007-12-18, 07:38 AM
I'm in love with the races of the Warcraft D&D setting. Forsaken? Brilliant! Tauren? Lovely! Goblins? Devious!
Tauren are my personal favourites as they're massive but incredibly gentle and spiritual. Still, if you're gonna Bull Rush, be a bull :D

Satyr
2007-12-18, 07:52 AM
Why do you hate humanoid cats so much.

I really don't know. I'm not too fond of regular cats in the first place, but that's not it. I think I don't like them because too many people in my direct environment makes too much out of them - like the fusion of cats and humans would be the greatest thing after the invention of fire.
I hat Catfolk because no one else does.

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-18, 07:57 AM
I've always had a partiality toward reptilian/draconic races. Insectile races like Thri-Kreen also appeal to me. Demonic races also have a draw...

So I suppose an "ideal" race for me would be Half-fiend/Half-dragon Thri-Kreen. :smallbiggrin:

In all seriousness though, I have always wanted a race of Raptors (Deinonychus) with a low enough HD and LA to actually be playable. And not just Anhropamorphic ones, the Anthro template makes Raptors pretty much suck to the point of uselessness.

nerulean
2007-12-18, 08:26 AM
I like the idea of a slightly faun-like race but with more desert-creature markings. A fairly short race, with little nubbly horns that don't confer any special attacks and yellowy-orangish fur with dark brown stripes. Stripes are fun.

Pronounceable
2007-12-18, 08:27 AM
What would your ideal character race look like?

Cameron Diaz

That aside, I like humans. And I mean, LIKE humans. Also I happen to be human as well. Plus many of my best friends are humans.

Telonius
2007-12-18, 08:37 AM
For some years now I've wanted to play something like Aahz from Robert Asprin's "Myth" series. Big, scaley, bad attitude. Something like the Jaegermonsters from Girl Genius could be fun, too. (Or maybe I just like the Foglio's art. :smallbiggrin: )

Corlis
2007-12-18, 08:39 AM
Ogier from Wheel of Time are pretty cool too. Large, furry humanoids with massive strength (but low dexterity); despite that, they're quiet, bookish, artistic, and nature lovers.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-12-18, 09:47 AM
I'd go with the simpler version to avoid the LA. Were these the simple Rakastas you were refering to? http://pandius.com/raka35e.html and http://pandius.com/rakast3e.html .

Yeah, those are them, off the Mystara website...buried in the races.

Shame on Satyr for not liking cat people...kitties are so kyoot! :smallbiggrin:

Ya know...you could always go sci-fiesque...Silicoids! Rock people...silicon based life. You'd have to figure out a whole lot about such a race...but it could be very interesting.

Saph
2007-12-18, 09:59 AM
Well, if it has to be original, that rules out most of my favourite ones. Let's see . . .

The Jagermonsters from Girl Genius would be hilarious to have around, but only if you can imitate their attitude. Construct soldiers with a weird accent and a slightly . . . odd attitude towards death and fighting.

Gorb - "Vell, let's just keel her."
Andre - "Gorb. Dis iz turnink into vun of dose plans....hyu know - de kind vere ve keel everybody dot notices dot ve's killin' people?"
Gorb - "It iz?"
Andre - "Uh huh. And how do dose alvays end?"
Gorb - "De dirigible iz in flames, everybody'z dead, and I've lost my hat."
Andre - "Dot's right! Und any plan vere you lose you hat is?"
Gorb - "A bad plan?"
Andre - "Right again!"

Tempest's fox-people race would be cool. You could look up Japanese kitsune stories for ideas.

The game/anime series Utawarerumono had a whole planetfull of weird humanoid races with different tendencies and visual looks. None of them were typical ones, but they were all humanlike enough to not be too distracting.

- Saph

Tempest Fennac
2007-12-18, 10:29 AM
I'm pleased you like my idea (would you say it's balanced as far as having an LA of 0 is conerned?). Someone has already done 1 version of the Japanest kitsune: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Kitsune_%28DnD_Race%29 . Also there are several other racs mentioned on http://www.fur.com/~ollie/races3.html (WARNING: be careful if you try searching the other websites using those race names as key terms: the websites which came up for me suggested that the adult filter is next to useless. I thought I'd warn you all in case you're easily traumatised like I am).

mostlyharmful
2007-12-18, 10:36 AM
The Jagermonsters from Girl Genius would be hilarious to have around, but only if you can imitate their attitude. Construct soldiers with a weird accent and a slightly . . . odd attitude towards death and fighting.

Gorb - "Vell, let's just keel her."
Andre - "Gorb. Dis iz turnink into vun of dose plans....hyu know - de kind vere ve keel everybody dot notices dot ve's killin' people?"
Gorb - "It iz?"
Andre - "Uh huh. And how do dose alvays end?"
Gorb - "De dirigible iz in flames, everybody'z dead, and I've lost my hat."
Andre - "Dot's right! Und any plan vere you lose you hat is?"
Gorb - "A bad plan?"
Andre - "Right again!"

I need to play a Warforged RIGHT NOW!! He-he-he..

Lyesmith
2007-12-18, 10:54 AM
There has certainly been a thread based on the Jagen-thingies from Girl Genius, statting them out, etc.

I think an interesting race would be something long the lines of a "Shifter". A race of beings with no natural form, so they just adapt to whatever suits the enviroment at the time.

But then that would be terribly unbalancd, i suppose.
"I change shape to a Tarrasque":smalleek:

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-18, 11:00 AM
Tempest's fox-people race would be cool. You could look up Japanese kitsune stories for ideas.

Except for the fact that kitsune are Chinese. Seriously, why does everything Asian end up being Japanese? Why can't the Japanese stop stealing from the Chinese? A lot of the "Japanese" stuff is actually Chinese in origin so the japs get the credit and the Chinese end up looking all backwards. (This is in no way directed to one person)

Of course, my ideal race is already in existance: the Tibbit. The Tibbit is the most amazing race ever, a cat decended from familiar cats until they evolved to have humanoid intelligence and gained the ability to turn into halflings. They are so amazing. Other than that, I like my Naga-Anu, Globbles, and Bythaan races. Naga-Anu are based off the Hindu naga and Globbles are a race of sentient oozes with most of the ooze traits while still managing to be LA+1 or +) for the lesser version. Both are posted in the homebrew forums, check the link in the sig for my homebrews. The Bythan is a race I created a while ago that is a humanoid tiger with blue-grey fur and black stripes. They are big (7' - 8' tall, ~250lbs) with large strength and decent dex, they get powerful build and a 40ft land speed. Bythans prize their tails above all and commit suicide if they lose their tail.

Though I've always been partial to a Loxodon race, the one I made a while ago didn't workout too well.

BardicDuelist
2007-12-18, 11:06 AM
Humanoid Turtle. Adolescent.

CrazedGoblin
2007-12-18, 11:14 AM
i prefer humanoid races, so id guess humanoids but they would have to have the cat pupil like eyes and an air of sneakyness about them, ah look that sounds like a Tiefling (no goat legs i hate that)

AmberVael
2007-12-18, 11:16 AM
Except for the fact that kitsune are Chinese. Seriously, why does everything Asian end up being Japanese? Why can't the Japanese stop stealing from the Chinese? A lot of the "Japanese" stuff is actually Chinese in origin so the Japenese get the credit and the Chinese end up looking all backwards. (This is in no way directed to one person)

Other than that, I like my Naga-Anu, Globbles, and Bythaan races. Naga-Anu are based off the Hindu naga and Globbles are a race of sentient oozes with most of the ooze traits while still managing to be LA+1 or +) for the lesser version. Both are posted in the homebrew forums, check the link in the sig for my homebrews.
Might I mention that I find it amusing that you criticize the Japanese for stealing myth ideas, and then you go on to talk about one of your favorite races, one of your own creations, is based off of the Hindu religion?

Prometheus
2007-12-18, 12:34 PM
Something ugly. Too many PCs just want to be pretty little anime characters and then dump their Charisma scores. I want something that you have to know is ugly in order to play.

kamikasei
2007-12-18, 12:39 PM
Except for the fact that kitsune are Chinese. Seriously, why does everything Asian end up being Japanese? Why can't the Japanese stop stealing from the Chinese? A lot of the "Japanese" stuff is actually Chinese in origin so the japs get the credit and the Chinese end up looking all backwards. (This is in no way directed to one person)

Well, "kitsune" is a Japanese word, to start with.

And Japanese culture gets more promotion via cinema, anime, manga and such exports. So if something exists in Japanese culture but originated in any other Asian country, chances are good your average Westerner will have heard of it as a Japanese thing if he's heard of it at all. So while the point that kitsune are originally from Chinese myth is interesting and I thank you for it, the rest of that paragraph is a bit misdirected, even if it wasn't directed at anyone specific.

Indon
2007-12-18, 12:46 PM
Humanoid Turtle. Adolescent.

Favored Class: Ninja.

But seriously, I'd like a monstrous humanoid or low-LA giant without massive mental stat penalties. Just because they live outside of human civilization, doesn't make them all stupid. What if they're just culturally independent under normal circumstances, or unusually evil?

I'd always like to make a PC with a race such as Troll, but the significant stat penalties, and massive LA and RHD, are enormous mechanical barriers to that.

Heliomance
2007-12-18, 12:55 PM
Kung-fu dugongs. Definitely.

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-18, 12:56 PM
Might I mention that I find it amusing that you criticize the Japanese for stealing myth ideas, and then you go on to talk about one of your favorite races, one of your own creations, is based off of the Hindu religion?

I criticize Japanese myth-stealing because they portray it like its theirs. I freely base my races off of a variety of cultures and give them credit for it. It just so happens that one of my favorites is Hindu in origin, though I do have other oriental races as well (kappas, kitsunes [Huli jing], a fwe others I don't remember).

@ kamikasei: I couldn't remember the Chinese name (its Huli jing, I just found it), but otherwise no one would know what I was saying. The rest of your post is, sadly, correct. I am a mythology-lover and I dislike the overwhelming Japanese influence because of how it screws up a lot of people's view of mythology. I possibly did not phrase the last sentence in the correct manner. But, yes, the Chinese created most of the myths that the Japanese "borrowed" as well as other groups (such as the Koreans), though the Muslim influences severely dampened those early myths, as did Buddhism to a lesser extent. Because Japan was never conquered by an Islamic power, or any other oppressive religious power, they could expand their myths while the Chinese couldn't. Really, China is kind of sad if you look at the history, the Mongols screwed them up a lot and killed centuries of tradition (yes, I've written a paper about it).

Edit: More on topic, I would really like a decent Turtle race as well. Something slow and powerful, but old and wise with the lifespan of an Elan.

axraelshelm
2007-12-18, 12:58 PM
hmm kind of like the aliens from the Abyss movie. Tall, slender, smooth skin which has colors from light grey to deep blue "bioluminescence" very melodic voices. Creatures that had evolved when their ancestor passed from the plane of positive energy
to the plane of water.
Light and water bringing life to the great oceans psions and clerics mostly.

Khosan
2007-12-18, 01:13 PM
There seem to be a lot of cat fans. It just seems a bit odd that most people are inclined toward some race of cat-people when they're frequently butchered by the Gods for the discussions on this forum.

Personally though, I like smaller races. Like Mole-People. Typically Lawful Evil, what with their predisposition toward earthquake machines and destroying the world above.

kamikasei
2007-12-18, 01:22 PM
There seem to be a lot of cat fans. It just seems a bit odd that most people are inclined toward some race of cat-people when they're frequently butchered by the Gods for the discussions on this forum.

They figure an abundance of catfolk in the world is a symptom of an easygoing DM who isn't going to beat them too hard with the reality stick.

Khosan
2007-12-18, 01:30 PM
They figure an abundance of catfolk in the world is a symptom of an easygoing DM who isn't going to beat them too hard with the reality stick.

It just seems like bad planning, since at any moment your character sheet could burst into flames when some guy mentions terminal velocity in relation to fall damage.

bluish_wolf
2007-12-18, 01:36 PM

It's all this song's fault: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNWr_Jlx6p0

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-18, 01:43 PM
It just seems like bad planning, since at any moment your character sheet could burst into flames when some guy mentions terminal velocity in relation to fall damage.

The trick is to play males :smallbiggrin: Of course, there is also the fact that my cat humanoids are more cat than human, unlike "catgirls" who are humans with cat tails and ears.

NEO|Phyte
2007-12-18, 01:49 PM
I think my ideal character race would look something like a tribble, only instead of fur, tentacles. lots and lots of tentacles.

A 12-armed Thri-kreen/spider hybrid works too.

kamikasei
2007-12-18, 01:56 PM
The trick is to play males :smallbiggrin:

That could be an awesome character.

Bob was a normal, healthy catboy, and like any redblooded catboy he met and fell in love with a catgirl. Kathy and Bob were high school sweethearts and enrolled in the same university.

Bob was a physics major.

He dropped out after the inevitable tragedy and has dedicated his life to the study of magic, seeking to atone for his beloved's demise by telling the laws of physics to sit down and shut up.

Toliudar
2007-12-18, 02:09 PM
A quiet, industrious race, mammalian but culturally reminiscent of hive-minds, in which everyone has low-grade telepathy or empathy. These gentle, basically nonviolent folk are friendly, hard-working, good merchants...and in effect the evil race, because they come in and slowly take over land and resources from everyone else.

Telonius
2007-12-18, 02:20 PM
I criticize Japanese myth-stealing because they portray it like its theirs. I freely base my races off of a variety of cultures and give them credit for it. It just so happens that one of my favorites is Hindu in origin, though I do have other oriental races as well (kappas, kitsunes [Huli jing], a fwe others I don't remember).

@ kamikasei: I couldn't remember the Chinese name (its Huli jing, I just found it), but otherwise no one would know what I was saying. The rest of your post is, sadly, correct. I am a mythology-lover and I dislike the overwhelming Japanese influence because of how it screws up a lot of people's view of mythology. I possibly did not phrase the last sentence in the correct manner. But, yes, the Chinese created most of the myths that the Japanese "borrowed" as well as other groups (such as the Koreans), though the Muslim influences severely dampened those early myths, as did Buddhism to a lesser extent. Because Japan was never conquered by an Islamic power, or any other oppressive religious power, they could expand their myths while the Chinese couldn't. Really, China is kind of sad if you look at the history, the Mongols screwed them up a lot and killed centuries of tradition (yes, I've written a paper about it).

Edit: More on topic, I would really like a decent Turtle race as well. Something slow and powerful, but old and wise with the lifespan of an Elan.

China was never conquered by an Islamic power. Mongols generally weren't Muslims, and certainly weren't when they first started conquering. The Mongols were the ones who defeated the Assassins, enveloped the Persians, sacked Baghdad, executed the Caliph .... all after they'd already beaten the Chinese. Besides, the Muslims had been in China since 650 (http://www.islamawareness.net/Asia/China/islchina.html), well before the Mongol conquests of c.1200. Tamerlane, whose claim to the Khanate was more propaganda than reality, never made it into China. His wars were a problem for the Middle East, not the Far East (at least not directly).

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-18, 02:39 PM
China was never conquered by an Islamic power. Mongols generally weren't Muslims, and certainly weren't when they first started conquering. The Mongols were the ones who defeated the Assassins, enveloped the Persians, sacked Baghdad, executed the Caliph .... all after they'd already beaten the Chinese. Besides, the Muslims had been in China since 650 (http://www.islamawareness.net/Asia/China/islchina.html), well before the Mongol conquests of c.1200. Tamerlane, whose claim to the Khanate was more propaganda than reality, never made it into China. His wars were a problem for the Middle East, not the Far East (at least not directly).

I'm usually not one to brush it off with "its complicated", but I don't wish to derail this thread any more. True, the Mongols where not Islamic until later, but they molded Chins into a more Mongol-like society and thus the Islamic religion had a greater impact because of the close ties to the Mongols, that's why there are many Islamic-Mongol ethnic groups in China. They are "leftover" from the Mongol control and Islam played a role in the destruction of traditions as did the heathen Mongols before.

Sorry for furthering this derailment, you may return to your thread.

Magnus_Samma
2007-12-18, 03:47 PM
What do you consider to be "the usual fantasy ideal?"

Anything "traditional," I guess. Pointy ears and treehouses or grumpy bearded men in mines or short people with a tendency to get into mischief.

And, if it comes to that, furries, but that's a personal squick. You only need to have so many sadistic friends with links to various websites before you never want to see another fuzzy person again...

I am seeing some ideas I like here, though. Thanks everyone for the input!

Kizara
2007-12-18, 05:02 PM
I'd love to have Assimar's with +2 to strength, wisdom and charisma and wings. Detect Evil 3/day (instead of daylight), and wings (fly 30ft average).

+1 LA.

I'd love to play that.

UserClone
2007-12-18, 05:32 PM
Some of the posters here would be well served to give a look to Fantasy Flight Games' Mythic Races (http://fantasyflightgames.com/llmr.html), from it's Legends & Lairs series. In fact, they have a free PDF (http://fantasyflightgames.com/PDF/mr_extra.pdf) of 3 additional races that are not in the book, but follow the same format - personally, I like the Mannikins best of the three, and several of the 2-dozen-ish races in the book.

ghost_warlock
2007-12-18, 05:43 PM
http://www.hobbyjapan.co.jp/dd/news/img/mm3.5/otyugh02.jpg

Just give them an acid-based breath weapon and you're set.

Meltemi
2007-12-18, 05:57 PM
I'm usually not one to brush it off with "its complicated", but I don't wish to derail this thread any more. True, the Mongols where not Islamic until later, but they molded Chins into a more Mongol-like society and thus the Islamic religion had a greater impact because of the close ties to the Mongols, that's why there are many Islamic-Mongol ethnic groups in China. They are "leftover" from the Mongol control and Islam played a role in the destruction of traditions as did the heathen Mongols before.

Sorry for furthering this derailment, you may return to your thread.

You're right, it must be complicated, because I don't see it to the point of registering and delurking. First and most significantly, the Chin dynasty predated Islam by centuries. Second, Islam in the era was a progressive force, with Sufi mysticism and the superceding of a sort of Hellenistic philosophy (the preservation of Greek teachings, the pursuit of more pure sciences like astronomy, that sort of thing; I don't know the most accurate term) only emerging in the same era the Mongols swept westward. As well, the Ming and especially the Qing were more than willing to sinicize the Muslims, more so than to accept their "enlightenment" and depart from what were Chinese norms to them, and the Yuan, for all their support to Muslims present in the nation, were the only Khanate to not convert. I would argue that while the conquest did depress conformance to ancient folklore in the same manner most introductions of foreign thought and insight do, it did not especially destroy much of anything. Certainly, China fared a fair sight better than Russia, which practically saw the devastation of urbanization. Besides, for another case study under very similar circumstances, Korea went through much the same with the subjugation of the Goryeo dynasty and its domination by the Yuan, but it wasn't that which devastated its history and traditions. We had to leave that to the Japanese and our lovely friend Hideyoshi in the Seven Years War a couple centuries later in the Joseon era.

A final aside, but I'd also argue syncretism between the imported mythology of the huli jing and local mythology and animism allows one to distinguish between the kitsune and huli jing in this. While the former is derived from the latter, it can be considered proper to consider the kitsune Japanese and the huli jing Chinese. Admittedly, it's unclear just how much local mythology existed in this particular instance, and one cannot help but note that the most vociferous proponents of syncretism are in fact Japanese, but it is rather plausible.

Also, since it would be better to stay on topic, a selkie-styled race would be pretty shiny. Shapeshifters with a natively aquatic, seal-like form, they are dependent on their discarded seal skins to shift back. Merfolk could also be interesting, but as a purely aquatic species, they would be rather limited for a player character. Plus, the merfolk can be adapted easily from core monster rules as a PC race already. Selkies are rather more unusual than that. Fae, goblinoids, and +0 LA avianoids (avids? Raptorans.) could also be interesting, but the first two are quite traditional and the last already mentioned.

Oh, and kumiho, simply to complete the trifecta started by the kitsune and huli jing. The oldest myths aren't entirely liver-eating, tricky, malicious nine-tailed foxes, and apparently, the oldest stories include the naive, unassuming kumiho being tricked by malevolent individuals. Mind you, most myths today are pretty much "evil tricky kumiho" and the such, but as it is, no?

Laurellien
2007-12-18, 06:28 PM
I wanna play a race like this.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Nny2/Rorkannu.jpg

Krimm, please spoiler your picture, otherwise people can't read the thread properly.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-18, 09:25 PM
It's all this song's fault: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNWr_Jlx6p0

Its kind of funny just how strongly cat-themed an intro to an anime about vampires is :smalltongue:.

My favorite race would probably have like Goat-legs and cloven hooves, and they would have big goat horns on their heads, but they would have wolf-like faces and long arms with really sharp claws at the end, they would also have like a little draconic flair, probably with scales on their heads and chests, and maybe even have draconic wings.

Edit: Also on their heads, in stead of hair, they would have writhing green flames, these flames can also be seen behind their eyes and in their mouths, giving the effect of a flaming skull.

axraelshelm
2007-12-19, 07:03 AM
Its kind of funny just how strongly cat-themed an intro to an anime about vampires is :smalltongue:.

My favorite race would probably have like Goat-legs and cloven hooves, and they would have big goat horns on their heads, but they would have wolf-like faces and long arms with really sharp claws at the end, they would also have like a little draconic flair, probably with scales on their heads and chests, and maybe even have draconic wings.

Edit: Also on their heads, in stead of hair, they would have writhing green flames, these flames can also be seen behind their eyes and in their mouths, giving the effect of a flaming skull.

okay dragon orge from warhammer by anychance?

bosssmiley
2007-12-19, 03:20 PM
okay dragon orge from warhammer by anychance?

Naaah, he's just a Mannaroth (http://www.wowwiki.com/Image:Mannoroth.jpg) fanboi. amirite? :smalltongue:

My ideal character race. Hmmmm. Small. Ovoid. Calcified exterior. Big, floppy hats... :smallwink:

Doomsy
2007-12-19, 03:27 PM
A no LA-adjustment tweaked Yuan-ti, very humanoid looking except for some hints of snake-like features.

Also, an evil flying race, maybe avian. Because I like the idea of playing something that as is crazy as a birds eyes.

axraelshelm
2007-12-19, 06:11 PM
A no LA-adjustment tweaked Yuan-ti, very humanoid looking except for some hints of snake-like features.

Also, an evil flying race, maybe avian. Because I like the idea of playing something that as is crazy as a birds eyes.

serpent blood line feat for a sorceror.

Admiral Squish
2007-12-19, 06:34 PM
Oh, gods, you really don't want to get my creative engine sparked. The resultant lovecraftian horror will send you all screaming 'row row row your boat' all the way to the psych ward after your miserable attempts to understand the ups and downs of such a beast.

Tempest Fennac
2007-12-20, 02:58 AM
That creation would at least fit in with what Magnus_Samma wants.

Magnus_Samma
2007-12-20, 03:24 AM
Oh, gods, you really don't want to get my creative engine sparked. The resultant lovecraftian horror will send you all screaming 'row row row your boat' all the way to the psych ward after your miserable attempts to understand the ups and downs of such a beast.

Man, that would fit my campaign perfectly. :D

Admiral Squish
2007-12-20, 04:27 AM
Okay, then, let's get started, shall we?

First, take a human shape. Then burn that, because we're not even going near that one. Take a blunted cylinder (think capsule), about three feet long. give it four squat, powerful legs each tipped with sticky pads, and a pair of arms with shoulders that start straight up, then elbows that bend the hands forward. Make the hands nearly human, but with only four fingers. Then give it a coat of acid-green fur and a head that looks like a smallish muppet's mounted on a snakelike neck tapering off the rest of the shape. Beady black eyes and wide, toothless mouth. The arms are relatively skinny, and can rotate completely around top deal with things behind. It's native tongue sounds like whale-song, and it's personality is benevolent and a bit clueless, but very zen about things. They normally live in caves, because their fur has a natural bioluminescence. They feel plush and warm to the touch, and are relatively soft. They usually eat fungi, and sometimes soft plants. They think most two-leggers a bit unstable, and too hurried about everything. Nothing eats them because the bioluminescence is also a FOUL-tasting thing.

Tempest Fennac
2007-12-20, 05:05 AM
That's quite good. What are it's stats, though?

Admiral Squish
2007-12-20, 06:27 AM
I made that up on the spot.

Lessee...
Sticky feet mean +8 racial on climb can take ten even when yadda yadda yadda...
-2 str, they're small and have relatively scrawny arms
+2 con, good intestinal fortitude
Darkvision 60
Sheds light like a torch in conditions of complete darkness.
When struck for slashing or piercing damage, his fur ruptures releasing a foul odor that sickens all within ten feet (fortitude fifteen negates). The scent lasts for 1d4+con minutes, or until the damage is healed.

Hmm, that's all I can think of. What'd be the LA on that?

Talic
2007-12-20, 06:42 AM

Lessee...
Darkvision 60
When struck for slashing or piercing damage, his fur ruptures releasing a foul odor that sickens all within ten feet (fortitude fifteen negates). The scent lasts for 1d4+con minutes, or until the damage is healed.

Stat changes are balanced.
Darkvision, Climb speed, and glow in dark, balanced when compared to a feat, or some such. 4 legs means stable, resistant to trips, Size I assume is medium.
Fort should be based on a stat of the race... Con? Stinking cloud is like a trog, but weaker...

I'd say +1 LA.

Admiral Squish
2007-12-20, 06:45 AM
That sounds about right to me. I'll go throw together a homebrew for it. It'll be my first. I'm all a-tingle.
Should it be a monster setup with a player option or a player setup?

Tempest Fennac
2007-12-20, 07:30 AM
I'd have it as a monster which could be set up for player use (Aberrations are usually not PCs).

Admiral Squish
2007-12-20, 07:40 AM
Well, it's a bit late, now, I've already written it up for a player.

Nada Rakshasa
2007-12-20, 08:32 AM

Extaminaar from Champions of Ruin may suit your fancy.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the Magic:tG races get a minor sourcebook. Many of them are visually stunning (or appealing in one way or another), have interesting cultures and abilties, or have a similar precedent in D&D.

I've recently been struck by a desire to play a Kithkin, which I could see as a halfling-like race with a tweaked swarmfighting as a racial bonus feat. Not too long ago a friend of mine decided he wanted to play a myr, which our DM helped him homebrew.

Kami2awa
2007-12-20, 09:35 AM
Although they'd be ridiculously overpowered, the Armour Bears from Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials are one of the most characterful and original races in recent fantasy. I'd love to play one; it could be done with a Druid/Barbarian build...

Admiral Squish
2007-12-20, 11:35 AM
Here's the newly-made dude, all set up for a player.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67149

Indon
2007-12-20, 12:04 PM

Lessee...
Darkvision 60

Why would it have Darkvision, the ability to see with no light, when it can glow?

Are you sure you aren't thinking of low-light vision, which doubles the sight range of light (meaning its' own bioluminescence would provide clear vision up to 40 ft, and murky vision up to 80).

Admiral Squish
2007-12-20, 12:08 PM
Why would it have Darkvision, the ability to see with no light, when it can glow?

Are you sure you aren't thinking of low-light vision, which doubles the sight range of light (meaning its' own bioluminescence would provide clear vision up to 40 ft, and murky vision up to 80).

Well, the glow was intended more as protective coloring. Besides, aberrations get darkvision 60 anyway, it's a basic trait.

PhallicWarrior
2007-12-20, 10:22 PM
Snake people.

+2 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Con, -2 Cha

The Scent SQ, +2 on Hide checks, and the ability to constrict people it's size or smaller for about...1d6+Str along with the ability to grapple as if they were one size category larger.