PDA

View Full Version : Adventurers' Guild Team Badger IC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-18, 08:40 AM
The mists of a cool morning in early spring burn away as the bright southern sun rises over the towers and minarets of East Bridgeport. Every day is Market Day in this thriving city, and a myriad of sights, sounds, and smells delight the senses. The smells of fresh bread and today's catch of fish mingle pleasantly. Merchants in booths sell olive oil, wine, cloth, and spices, while farmers sell produce out of their carts as their oxen stand patiently, chewing their cud. A young halfling goes from door to door, struggling with his wheelbarrow piled high with squares of peat, but smiling as coins from each door clink into his purse. At one corner, a street vendor shaves the first savory slices of meat from a kebab for a group of dwarven lumberjacks who are too hungry to pay any mind to the playful catcalls from a pair of gnome sailors. A few tall soldiers patrol the streets, watchful but still relaxed, as there is rarely trouble in this part of town. Always, there is the cry of the gulls and, if one listens carefully, the soft sound of the waves in the harbor.
The cobblestone streets are busy, as is the huge bridge that spans the Timber River over to West Bridgeport, the less affluent but older side of town known especially for the rich culture of the many halflings who have lived there for centuries. A few young boys fish from the bank next to the small piers where shirtless laborers hustle dwarven goods off of river barges. Curiously, a motley group of five adults (you) are standing on the riverbank beneath the overhang of the great bridge, somewhat awkwardly making small talk or absent-mindedly skipping stones, as if they are waiting for something.
A few minutes pass, then a wizened halfling can be seen gingerly making his way down to the riverbank where the five stand. He is clothed in religious-looking robes and wears a silver medallion that appears to be in the form of a horse rampant on his chest. His eyes sparkle beneath bushy eyebrows as his face wrinkles into a broad smile.

Eldon
"Ah, excellent! I see the bards have spread the word of our little venture far and wide indeed! I am Father Eldon Highburrow, one of the founding members of the Adventurers' Guild. Please, follow me -- we can talk as we go, but all your questions will be answered once we arrive at our Guildhall."

I suggest roleplaying following him through a maze of streets on the way to the guildhall, and take this time for the characters to get to know each other, because we'll talk all about the guild once you get there. Feel free to be creative if you want to describe the area you're walking through; if something is completely out of line with the idea I have of this city we can always edit it. I think I mentioned before, Istanbul is one of my inspirations for Bridgeport.

Rafe
2007-12-18, 10:52 AM
Aulric (calling DarkSlateGray)

Running a calloused hand over his shaved head, Aulric peers about him with grey-blue eyes, taking in both the streets as well as the fellows gathered nearby. His dusty pack at his feet and his shield propped against his leg, he leans against a barrel and rests a forearm over the head of his large warhammer. His burgundy and silver robes hidden his chain shirt are dirt-scoured, his thick boots faded and worn from his travels.

To Erutaron, he says, "Well, friend, we have arrived, it would seem. I must admit I've not been this far south in my wanderings." He lifts his head and sniffs the strong ocean air. "Know you aught of this city, and this "Adventurers' Guild" you've suggested we look into?"

While waiting on a response, Aulric spies a venerable halfling making his way towards them, smiling kindly at the group. Aulric stands straighter and listens attentively to Father Eldon speak.

"Morrow's strength be upon thee, Father. I thank you for your guidance and your welcome."

Knowledge Religion to identify what god he serves based on his holy symbol: [roll0] . If this doesn't come through because of the edit, I rolled an 8.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-18, 11:25 AM
Eldon

"...and may Ehlonna bless you, my brother. Come quickly now, please! We don't want our guild to attract too much attention just now." Eldon quickly minces up the riverbank and back to the cobblestone streets.

Aulric fails his knowledge check. He has no idea what god that holy symbol represents. Perhaps it is just a random piece of "bling" the old gaffer is fond of.

dual_wielder
2007-12-18, 03:33 PM
Surian breathes deeply, savoring the strong ocean air that contrasts so strongly to the only other air he can remember. He is glad to be free of the solitude of the mountains and happy to be back at the place of his birth.

Ah yes, thank you sir. I cannot wait to see the guildhall of the Adventurer's guild that comes so highly recommended.

He smiles and leans against a tall, black building behind him, seemingly relaxing every muscle in his body at the same time. Of course, he is not as relaxed as he seems, as one can see his eyes constantly scanning the crowd for anything that might catch his eye (dangerous or not).

Thymin
2007-12-18, 07:49 PM
Dravick (Human/Bard): (claiming DeepSkyBlue)

As Dravick heads through his beloved city towards the meeting place under the bridge, he is mildly distracted by the cool day and the fine citizens of his town. He strolls steadily, and purposefully for his destination but he does not head there in any rush. He knows this city well, and as he enters the Market District in East Bridgeport he is welcomed by familiar scents and scenes. Almost mindlessly, he begins to hum the tune of a ballad about the founding, history and grandeur of Bridgeport, and by the time he reaches the riverbank wher the meeting is to take place he has begun to whistle pleasantly. He arrives early for the meeting, but he sees that he is not the first one there. He immediately notices two large men who seem to know each other standing, waiting, and talking. Both of them are well armed and he has no doubt that they are there for the same reason as he is. He sees another man who is leaned against the wall and appears to be relaxing, physically at least, but as his Dravick notices the way his eyes are keenly observing the situation, he realizes that he is likely here to join the Adventurer's Guild as well.

As he walks up, Dravick overhears the large bald man asking his fierce looking companion about tale of bridgeport. Dravick is intrigued by the pair and the stories that they could undoubtedly share. He decides to introduce himself to them but before he has a chance to, a halfling in priestly garments approaches the group and introduces himself to them all. Dravick listens to the halflings greeting and his mind strays to the adventures he will have and the tales he will absorb. He responds cheerfully to the halfling, Well met Father, I look forward to joining the guild.

At this point, Dravick notices a lanky girl who seems too tall for her age, and realizes that she too might be joining the guild. He wonders why a girl of her young age would want to join the Adventurer's Guild but decides that whatever reasons she has are her's and her's alone.

As Dravick follows Father Eldon through the maze-like streets of Bridgeport, he decides to introduce himself to the large bald man and his friend. I couldn't help but overhear that you are new to the city. My name is Dravick, and I am quite familiar with this city, I have lived here long enough to call this city home. If there is anything you need I can help you find it. He flashes a friendly smile but doesn't press the issue and continues to follow the halfling while awaiting a response from either of the two men.

Before they walk more than a block he has resumed quitely humming the same tune that had caught his imagination earlier, and enjoys the walk to the Adventurer's Guild.

Rafe
2007-12-18, 08:11 PM
Aulric, Human Cleric

Aulric 'hmms' softly at Father Eldon's reply. I've been apart from the world too long, it would seem, to not recognize the sigil of Ehlonna. I pray my hammer-hand is not as rusty as my memory...

The warrior priest turns his tanned and weathered face towards Dravick and nods amiably. "I am Aulric, a cleric of Morrow. Well met. Indeed you heard right - my friend and I are curious of this place. I have never been this far south. I am used to the northern lands, foothills and mountains. Do you call Bridgeport home?"

As they walk, Aulric eyes the towering buildings and finds himself amazed by the activity and pace of the city streets. "Where I hail from--" Avoiding a fishmonger, the bald man shakes his head and raises an eyebrow. "--I am unused to such activity. I'm more at home on campaign, or amongst the purposeful folk of trade towns." He settles his pack more comfortably across his mailed shoulders and, with his hand on the strap, secures across his pack his rounded shield to keep it from errantly striking a passer-by.

Trekking along, Aulric glances at his other companions, wondering at their circumstances. They seem right capable, regardless of the cut of their cloth, he thinks.

dual_wielder
2007-12-18, 09:47 PM
Surian Oron (Human Ranger)

Surien stands up straight and walks along with the companions, smiling in appreciation of how well equipped each one seems to be. He nods knowingly at Aulric's comment.

Yes, I come from a similar situation. Although I was born in this fine city, I have lived the bulk of my life near the eastern mountains. This hustle and bustle is a far cry from the hilly forests I was raised in. But I feel that I could definitely grow fond of the company one can find in the city. It is good to get away from the solitude I knew during my days in the mountains.

Rafe
2007-12-18, 10:06 PM
Aurlic, Human Cleric

Aulric pauses a moment in his stride and gazes intently at Surian. "What be your name, friend? I feel as though these eyes have seen you before. The eastern mountains... Were you, perchance, involved in the Winter Wars of five years past, serving Lord Galmund of Ellund? At that time, I marched with the dwarven hosts of Thane Signur to reinforce Galmund's retreat into the snowy passes. It seems that I knew you then as a pathfinder for those good folk. Such a harsh winter that brought the wolves and orcs upon that small fiefdom..." The bald priest runs his rough hand over his scalp and grunts, remembering. "A harsh winter."

With an apologetic shrug, Aulric says, "Ah me. I'm sorry, wayfinder. Hard times leave hard trails in one's mind. What was it you were saying about this lofty city?"

dual_wielder
2007-12-18, 10:17 PM

Surian's eyes drop to the ground, and his smile fades. He seems lost in thought for a moment before responding.

My name is Surian, and aye, I fought the Orcs that winter. I fought the Orcs for many winters. Those were some sad days weren't they my friend? The deepest cold I have ever felt. And you are right, I did serve as a pathfinder and militia man. I am not afraid to admit how glad I am to be rid of that place. I feel, however, that it will always be a part of me. Perhaps that is why I joined this guild. To forget. What a sad affair.

Surian sighs deeply, and rolls his shoulders to work a kink that had been forming. He looks at Aulric and smiles, but the smile still shows a hint of sadness.

Thymin
2007-12-18, 10:56 PM
Dravick (Human/Bard):

I am not a native of this city, replies Dravick to Aulric's question but I have spent enough years now to call this city my home. I was raised in the western frontier but the call of the city and civilization brought me here several years ago. This city is quite large, yet there are few parts that I have not wandered at least once. I will likely consider this city my home for the rest of my days, yet I do feel the urge to go out into the wilderness again and live some adventures.

As he continues to follow the group to the Adventurer's Guild hall, Dravick listens to the conversation between the bald cleric and the pathfinder. His first guess seems to have been correct, these people would have many stories to share.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-19, 09:32 AM
Eldon
"Ah, here we are!" Eldon stops at an iron gate and opens it. A flagstone path of about a hundred feet cuts through an overgrown garden of bushes and small trees to the entry of a large house, which looks as though it could have once belonged to a very wealthy family, but where fine roof tiles and intricately carved shutters are missing, they have been replaced by mismatching cheap substitutes. Eldon opens the double doors. "Please, come in."

You step into a foyer that stretches across the front of the house. There is a stairway going up on each end, and to your front you are separated from another room by strings of glass beads hanging from a wide double doorway. From the other doorway in the foyer, next to the staircase on the right, comes a large, well-muscled man, followed by a frowning, middle-aged gnome with spectacles pushed down on his nose. A stout human woman and a wide-eyed boy who looks to be about nine stand on the stairs to the right.

Bruce
"Well met, well met!" booms the man jovially. He has lost most of his hair, and his right eye socket is scarred shut. He is wearing riding boots and breeches with a loose, embroidered shirt, and has a short sword on his belt. "Welcome to the Adventurers' Guildhall. I am the so-called 'guildmaster,' but please call me Bruce. Eldon and I founded this guild along with Lankin here, who knows a good business opportunity when he sees one! Lankin is our quartermaster - he has made agreements with several merchants in town to give us discount prices, provided you adventurers go through him for all your equipment needs." Lankin nods in agreement. The woman on the steps coughs. "Oh, and of course," says Bruce, "this is my wife Elga and our son Brelgan. The three of us live upstairs on this side of the house, so I'd appreciate it if you will respect our privacy. You are of course welcome to use the Library behind me. Now, let me show you where you'll be staying."

Up the stairs on the left side of the house is a large room, the ceiling slanted to the pitch of the roof, with narrow windows. The room is jammed full of bunkbeds and wooden chests. A few of the beds have bedrolls on them with the closest chests closed and locked. Under each bunkbed is a battered tin chamberpot. A curtain is pulled across the end of the room closest to the street, hiding a few of the bunkbeds from view. On the opposite wall is a fireplace, presumably sharing a chimney with the fireplace in the common room below. A smallish man who looks to be in his thirties is snoring on the bottom bunk closest to the unlit fireplace, a heavy crossbow next to his chamberpot. "This is where you'll be staying, unless you have a home in Bridgeport and you'd rather stay there, as Eldon and Lankin do," says Bruce in hushed tones. "We have a few other Adventurers who live here, but I doubt you'll see any of them for a few days. Bil here is our night guard. Dependable as a rock, but not very sociable. I suppose the job suits him well." He leads you back down to the foyer.

Bruce then pushes through the strings of beads opposite the main entrance and leads you into the largest room in the house. There is a fireplace at the far end, a bar to the left with barstools, and behind the bar is a large dumbwaiter and a door to the back of the property. A few pathetic-looking hunting trophies and unimpressive weapons are mounted high on the walls. A comely young woman with dark hair and well-toned arms, wearing a simple undyed woolen dress, is taking chairs down from atop the several tables in the room. "This is our Common Room," says Bruce. The kitchen and storage rooms are below us, but the stairs down to them are just outside. Ana is here during the days and evenings, but she lives with her brother and his wife just a block away. She does not speak, but she listens well, and that's a good quality in a barmaid in my book!" Ana smiles prettily, then Bruce leads you outside, quietly muttering, "A good quality in any woman, for that matter..." Ana raises an eyebrow as evidence that she has a keen ear indeed.

In the back yard there is a stone patio, and cellar doors that are unlocked and open, revealing brown-stained stone steps leading under the house. Stacks of firewood, a well, and a small stable are closeby. The iron fence that runs around the property has a small gate in the back that opens to an alley, with a large stone jar sitting outside the gate. A cart drawn by a mule stops at the gate, and a miserable-looking teenage boy hops from the back. He swaps the jar with an identical one from the cart and climbs back in. The driver of the cart is an older man smoking a pipe. Bruce cries, "Hallo, Merrill!" The man turns to face you and bows his head, removes his soft leather cap and waves it with a flourish, as if he were a courtier saluting his king. He then gives a shake to the reins and the mule plods forward to the next house.

As you turn back to face Bruce, Lankin comes up the steps with padlocks and keys and begins to silently hand one to each of you. The padlocks match those that were on some of the chests in the Bunkroom upstairs.

"Merrill is a fellow guildmaster, believe it or not," says Bruce. He got fed up with some of the Council's decisions a few months ago, and stopped dung collection throughout Bridgeport until he got his own guild! My, that was a smelly three weeks! I know it sounds ridiculous, but the Doge, the Marshal, and many of the priests supported him, what with the way some of the guilds have been behaving. Turned out well for us, because you can thank Merill for our own guild status - his was the deciding vote! I don't need to tell you that the idea of an Adventurer's Guild was not a popular one, but you know what they say: Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity. And politicians desperate for a shift in the balance of power created the perfect opportunity for me to spend my pension on this little venture. Oh, that boy on the cart is Quinn - I'm afraid he's a bit of a delinquent, but ever since they put him in Merrill's charge he seems to have mended his ways."

"Well, like I said, down those steps are the kitchen and stores, and that's about it. I'm going to go help Eldon finish drawing up your contracts. In case the bards didn't mention it - they usually gloss over details like this - we'll provide your room and board, ammunition and a few other supplies, stabling for your animals, and all the ale you care to drink! In return we ask that you not do anything to give the guild a bad reputation - we've enough enemies as it is - and we'll need fifty percent of your profits until we recover our start-up costs, at which time we can renegotiate your contracts. Oh, and Father Eldon will provide his services free of charge whenever he's at the guildhall, which is most days. Take some time to explore, get settled in if you'll be staying with us, and ask anyone any questions you have. Ana has some eggs and salted pork - and ale if you want it this early - waiting for you in the Common Room."

Rafe
2007-12-19, 09:49 AM
Aulric, Human Cleric

The priest listens as Bruce gives the introductions and provides a tour of the premises. His attention wanders when a library is mentioned, and when the common room is shown.

"I thank you, Bruce, for welcoming us. I will settle in and stow my things. When the contracts have been readied, you will find me in the library or common room, I'm sure." Aulric bows his head and clasps arms with the brawny, scarred man.

----

In their room, Aulric moves as softly as he can so as not to wake Bil, though subtle movement is no friend of his. He chooses a chest and a lower bunk, placing his pack in the chest and locking it. Keeping his shield and hammer, the warrior priest finds a place to wash his face, neck and hands and strides back downstairs, to the common room for a meal.

He and Erutaron have not eaten in some time, and what they had was poor fare by these standards. The cleric clasps his hands in anticipation and settles down at a rough-hewn table near the fire. Using a stiff-bristled brush, he begins to scour some of the stains of the road from his robes, boots and mail into the fire grate as he waits for his other companions and food.

Fine enough place, this, he thinks, casting his stern eyes about the cosy room. As good a way as any to get my mind and body re-acquainted with the business of war.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-19, 10:19 AM
Ana gracefully opens the back door while balancing plates of hot food, which she then places on the bar.

Thymin
2007-12-19, 12:33 PM
Dravick (human/bard):

As Dravick follows Bruce through the house on the tour he finds himself thinking about all of the adventures that he and his companions will partake in. The Bunkroom reminds him of a much larger version of some of the trappers huts that he had spend nights in with his father. The vivid memory of his father brought many feelings to Dravick's mind. He felt at once a deep sadness over the death of his father, and at the same time an uplifting calm that he would be returning, at least in some ways, to the type of life he had lived with his father. He felt as if he was doing right by his father by joining the guild and knew immediatley that he would move here from his tenement housing on the East side of town, and live with his companions.

As he follows Bruce downstairs, and into the common room, he finds himself thinking about the comraderie and the fun that will be had here. He thought about the friendships, forged over the fires of battle and quenched in the tankards of ale consumed thereafter. This place suits me well, he thought. I will stay here awhile.

At the end of the tour, he says to Bruce, "Thank you sir, for your hospitality, and I will accept your offer. I look forward to the opportunities that we can offer each other, and mostly the adventures that we will all share through your work in putting together this guild."

Dravick then takes his lock upstairs and chooses the chest for the bunk immediately across from the one Aulric is putting his things into. Dravick takes the time to remove his leather armor, and deposits it along with his waterskin, and quiver of arrows into the chest and locks it, tucking the key neatly away into a pocket inside his cloak. He then places his shortbow on top of the top bunk. This should be safe enough here, if there are any dishonest members joining the guild it would be best to find out about them sooner rather than later.

He then goes downstairs to get some food, and arrives just in time to see Ana placing the food at the bar. He puts some food on a plate and sits at a table at the side of the room to eat. Placing his lute across from him on the table, he sits with his back to the wall. When he finishes his meal, he picks up his lute and begins to strum gently on in, in pleasant melodic tones. I will write a song about this he thinks to himself, It may be the beginning of something bigger than it now seems, and I am here to witness it all first hand. He smiles at noone in particular and leans back in his chair, playing his lute and taking in everything that is going on with the rest of the people in this strange group of adventurer's that he is looking forward to meeting.

Today is a good day.

dual_wielder
2007-12-19, 04:29 PM
Surian takes in every detail of the large manor, smiling more and more as the tour continues. He was never much of a reader, so the library does not particularly catch his attention. He was also not overly fond of material wealth (although he does appreciate the value of a gold piece), so the talks of loot and profit and contracts did not get him excited. However, the though of a good, hot meal without having to shoot and prepare it himself sets his mind and stomach on fire. He takes the lock politely, bows to and thanks Bruce, and heads upstairs. He places his bow and quiver on the bunk to the right of Aulric, and places the rest of his belongings inside the trunk.

When he reaches the kitchen and sees the food on the bar, he grabs a plate and piles it high before sitting down next to Aulric.

A wandering man could get used to these kind of accomadations, eh my friend? A warm bed, a warm meal, and a little bit of danger on the weekends, heh heh. A fine way to start a new chapter.

Oslecamo
2007-12-19, 04:46 PM
Enar, human rogue

Untill now Enar had kept herself mostly silent. She never had seen so near a group of people who seemed so strong and talented. It was so amazing! She was finnally going to get to participate in adventures like those of the songs told by the bards! Fighting dragons and exploring dungeons, she had dreamed of that since being a little girl! It was breath taking!

On the other side, it could have been her bag wich she finally had managed to drop in the bar. Ropes, hammers, saws, lockpicks, grapples, food, some extra knifes. She wasn't really used to carrying such an heavy weight. But it would be essential to fulfill her role. One couldn't explore dungeons or find dragons to fight whitout the proper tools. Carrying the bag all that way had also taken out her breath. The songs never told on how the adventurers managed to carry all those rods of power and piles of gold and dragon carcasses.

However, the group kept staring at her, probably walking for her to talk. She really didn't have amazing stories to tell. But she should really present herself properly. Puting her biggest and warmest smile she could she started:

"Hmm...Hi all! I'm Enar! I grow up in the city! I have done a little bit of everything...I mean, I've worked on several professions...Oh, don't get the wrong idea! I'm not a thief or anything like that! I just like to try out new things! And despite this city being a great place I want to experience greater things! I want to explore the land and meet new people! I want to help those in need and fight wrong doers! So I decided to join this guild, so I can fulfill my dreams! And whatever challenge we meet I promise to do my best to suport you! Oh, food! I was geting hungry! Thank you very much Ana! Hmm this looks delicious..."

Enar sit down and took a plate starting to eat, watching for the reactions of the remaining members in the room.

Rafe
2007-12-19, 04:51 PM
Aulric, Human Cleric

Aulric nods to Surian, raising his stein in cheers. "Indeed! I fear we must not grow too accustomed to such fare and quarters, nor such boisterous company--" the older man gestures to the many others in the room "--as this. I languished in idleness too long at the abbey of Morrow. Though I trained many acolytes in words and battle-ways, I felt the absence of righteous war. I am closest to my god when I am in the grit, side-by-side with military fellows. May Morrow and this guild grant us worthy causes." Finishing, the priest taps his stein against Surian's.

He gestures to Dravick. "Perhaps our new friend may find an enthusiastic audience here, and tales out there." Aulric tips his head towards the world beyond the guildhouse walls.

The priest turns to Enar as she sits. "Pleased to meet you, Enar. I am Aulric. It seems our small group is comprised of diverse talents indeed! I am honoured to break bread with you. May we all share fortunes in the days to come!"

Calling to Dravick: "Give us a rousing tale, good minstrel!"

dual_wielder
2007-12-19, 04:52 PM

Ah, she does speak. Good to meet you Enar. My name is Surian, and it is good to know we have someone with your skills with us. What a diverse group we are turning out to be.

He turns to Aulric and nods his head towards him, acknowledging the truth of his statement.

I remember my first combat. I was so surprised by the rush I felt that I nearly fainted, heh heh. Perhaps we will find ourselves back on the field of battle sooner than we think. I would be honored to stand next to you in battle, facing a common foe, protecting you with my bow as you protect me with your healing.

Thymin
2007-12-20, 01:13 AM
"It is a pleasure to meet you indeed miss Enar." Dravick says to the young girl, however he begins to suspect that she may not be as young as he had originally thought, with all of her skills and experiences.

"Aulric, how would you like me to recite to you all the history of the founding of this fine city? Dravick doesn't wait for the bald priest to answer and stands with his lute and begins to play.
"The great city where the river meets the sea, Dravick sings,
Fine Bridgeport it is named;
It has a storied history;
For it's merchants it is known;
The location at the mouth of the river flowing free;
Led the humble folks of yore to settle here;
They used the river and the sea;
As transportation for their goods;
And as the trading outpost grew;
More and more people came from far off lands;
And turned their efforts to industry;

As races mixed and cultures clashed;
The city formed a unique identity;
Unlike the ones in other lands;
Its architecture styles and its beauty;
Were forged through open cooperation;
Like the world does seldom see;
And by the time the bridge was completed;
The openness of culture and trade;
Had shown the strenght of such good will to the world;
And between the races was forged a certain harmony;

As bridgeport opened up the trade;
It helped the people to see;
That race, and homeland matter not;
What does is only hard work and honesty;
As the kingdom grew and even yet grows;
Larger and ties the different tribes more closely;
The kingdom grows on the same principles;
As the jewel of the ocean;
The light to the world of freedom;
Bridgeport, the queen of the sea!"

Dravick bows deeply as he finishes and sits down at the table with Aulric, and says "That, my friend, is the tale of the founding and influence of the great city you now call home. While there are many humans who live in this city, the thing that makes it great and prosperous, is the way that everyone who lives and works here, gives their all to their city and community without regard to the origins, or the culture of the other races. We are an accepting breed here, and I think you will find, as I have, that it gives the city a welcoming feel that is hard to shake. There are many more tales but I think I shall save them for another time." Dravick smiles at his new friend and offers his tankard to the air for a toast, "To the beginning of our new adventure, may we all fare well!"
After he finishes off his ale, he signals Ana for another and sits back content to observe, again, the people he has met today, still trying to take it all in, all the while a wide smile seems stuck to his face.

Rafe
2007-12-20, 09:43 AM
Aulric, human cleric

Aulric listens raptly, his beer and bread forgotten, as he listens to Dravick's tale. When it is finished, the priest laughs. "Truly, Dravick, you've some sorcery in your voice to make me forget my drink! That was well told." He raises his stein in toast with Dravick and the others.

To Surian, the priest says, "For certes. I also look forward to standing beside you on the field, though expect me not in the rear, voice lifted to Morrow for divine healing, my weapon idle. Rather, seek me to the fore, my stance stern, hammer brandished and shield raised!"

Oslecamo
2007-12-20, 10:21 AM
Wow that was a beatifull song mister Thymin. You really are talented. But, if you excuse me, I'm going to find myself a room where to put my stuff. I think it will better to install myself here so we get to know it each other well and work better togheter.

Thus Enar put down her plate and grabbed her backpack again, put it in her back with a grump and headed up the stairs. She selected one of the beds behind the curtain and put her stuff near it. She wanted to better know all those nice guys, but not too close. Well the bard seemed quite charming.... What was she thinking? No, this was an adventure guild. Stupid romantic side. They weren't here to date, but to go on missions. She was still too young to get engaged anyway. She still had much to learn and do before settling down with anyone.

So, she went back down the room where her new companions were and grabbed herself a drink, secretly wishing the bard would sing again, but too shy to ask.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-20, 11:29 AM
Bruce (entering the common room)
"Your contracts are prepared, bold adventurers, and if you will all make your way into the library Eldon will help you sign them, then he will enter your names in the Roll at the Council Chambers when they open in an hour. So please, finish your food and drink, but it would be helpful if Eldon could be on his way before the Chambers get too busy, or the good Father will be there all day. Oh, and once you sign you may take your insignia, and also Lankin has some small welcome gifts for you down in the stores."

(Should you go into the library, this is what you will see.)

The library is decorated in an odd assortment of styles. A map, which appears to be fairly new, adorns one wall, with a worn spot over the city of Bridgeport. A few shelves have books and scrolls on them, but most are empty. The table appears to have been fashioned from a large wooden door, and there are two rough-hewn benches about six feet long, one on either side of the table. On the table are pen, ink, and sheets of parchment (the contracts). Also on the table are several small silver brooches, in the form of three intersecting lines: a winding road, or perhaps a river, overlaid with a crossed sword and a staff. A narrow window opening onto the back yard allows some light into the room, but there is also a candelabra on the table and a torch in a bracket on the wall.

(If you are literate in Common, this is what the Contracts say - Eldon will read it accurately to you if you request it.)

CONTRACT
Let it be known that the signer of this contract is a full member of the Adventurer's Guild of the Fair City of Bridgeport, having agreed to the following expectations and benefits:

Expectations: Member is expected to spend most of his or her days actively seeking opportunities for experience, glory, and profit. Member will contribute his or her talents to support other members and the Guild as a whole in pursuance of the same. Member will exercise reasonable discretion in these activities, especially when conducted within the city and surrounding area of Bridgeport. Member will endeavor at all times to prevent the Guild from dishonor or excessive financial loss. Member will contribute 50% of monies earned through any activity to the care of the guild treasurer, until such time that the value of 1000 gp have been contributed. Thenceforth, member need only contribute a tithe of 10%. Should a member experience material gain in a form other than coinage, a reasonable contribution to the guild is expected.
Failure to follow these expectations may result in temporary or permanent forfeiture of your benefits, and a guild officer may ultimately request the Council of Guilds expel you from the Roll of Members.

Benefits: Member shall enjoy free room, board, stabling, and drink at the Adventurers' Guildhall. This privilege shall not be extended to family or guests without the approval of a guild officer. Members are free to go where they please and do as they please, provided activities meet the above expectations. The member shall enjoy the physical sanctuary of the guildhall and representation by the Guildmaster in the Council of Guilds. Requests for loans or grants of monies or equipment, when necessary for a highly profitable adventure or in situations of dire need, may be granted by a majority of guild officers. Should a member be wounded or fall ill while conducting legitimate guild activities and return to the guildhall alive, his healing shall be provided for with guild resources. After ten years of active adventuring, member shall enjoy guild benefits for life, as long as his or her conduct remains good (as determined by a majority of guild officers), whether or not he or she continues to seek adventure.

The new member shall proudly wear the insignia of Adventurers, and a guild officer shall enter the new member's name into the Roll of Members of the Council of Guilds at the first possible opportunity. This contract shall not expire until such time as the new member should resign his membership, or such time as the Council of Guilds decides his membership must be revoked, in accordance with the laws of Bridgeport.

______________, New Member
Bruce Wrightson, Guildmaster
Eldon Highburrow, 2nd Adventurer
Lankin Copperbags, Guild Treasurer

(If you go down to the kitchen and stores, this is what you see.)

It takes a moment for your eyes to adjust to the dim light in the cool basement of the guildhall. Two fireplaces share their chimneys with those of the rooms above. There are three spits for roasting meat, cauldrons on hooks that can swivel in and out of the fireplace, and various other cooking accoutrements. A block of kitchen knives, a mortar and pestle, and a small supply of herbs and raw vegetables sit on one side of a table identical to the one in the library. Wooden buckets, sealed with pitch, are in one corner, along with some cleaning supplies. A calico cat, not fully grown but missing part of one ear, yowls at you and skitters behind some wooden pallets, on which are stacked sacks of grain or flour. Some casks and bottles are stored next to the dumbwaiter which may convey them to the bar above.
Walls made of large bricks separate the half of the room that is furthest from the door (and closest to the main street) into three smaller rooms. Two of the rooms have no doors, and you can see they are each lit with dim, slow-burning torches. You can see smoked and salted meats hanging in one room, while the other is crowded with various adventuring equipment. The third room has a sturdy door, locked with two large padlocks.
Lankin sits on a stool outside the equipment room. He hands you a sack with five days' trail rations, five torches, and a standard bundle of ammunition for your ranged weapon (slings and bullets are available for those without a ranged weapon). He then solemnly counts out ten gp worth of coins to any character who answers that he or she lacks this amount (any combination of gold, silver, and copper that you want), explaining that it should be used as your expense account for guild purposes.

Thymin
2007-12-20, 12:27 PM
Dravick: (human/bard)

As soon as he sees Bruce enter the common room, Dravick stopps his playing Lute and listens to what the man has to say. Having already finished his food, he takes the last few swigs of his drink and immediately heads to the library. The terms of the agreement seem more than fair to Dravick, and he quickly signs his name to the document, and collects his silver brooch and affixes it to the front of his shirt. It feels good to be a part of something, and this guild will provide a number of opportunities for myself and my friends.He then shakes the hand of Father Eldon and says, "I look forward to adventuring for the common cause of the Adventurer's Guild and I will do everything I can to promote the good name of our guild." He smiles kindly, and then walks out to the storeroom.

He accepts the rations, torches, arrows, and gold from Lankin, and thanks him. "Thank you sir I will put these to good use for the cause of the Adventurer's Guild." I wonder what kind of adventure they have in mind for us, with all of this gear... Dravick thinks to himself as a bemused smile crosses his lips.

He carries his provisions upstairs to the bunkroom, and deposits them into his trunk before making his way back down to the common room, to see what the others are saying...

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-20, 02:44 PM
Ernturon appears to be less decisive than his companions, and continues to study the contract closely. Meanwhile, Bruce shows a new person into the library.

Bruce
"Here's a latecomer, Eldon! Victor, is it? Evidently the bardsong he heard left out the part about the dawn pick-up at the Bridge, but somehow he found his way here, ha! Don't you worry about your horse, my friend, I'll put him in the stable. Just sign your contract quickly and get to the basement so Eldon and Lankin can get on with their business, then take some time to relax and meet the other folks who signed on today."

Chavik
2007-12-20, 07:15 PM
Erutaron looks up from his contract and smiles politely
Its a fine contract, I look forward to these adventures

He signs with a small, tightly done signature and heads to collect his supplies

SithLackey
2007-12-20, 07:35 PM
Victor, Half-Elven Fighter

"Indeed, master Bruce, although in his defense it had been a long night already, and there were few there who could remember even as much as he. Now, let me just take a look at this..." He looks the contract over quickly, reads a couple of passages more closely, and then signs his name in a scratchy print at the bottom. It takes him a minute. When he is satisfied with his signature, he heads out to the stable, and returns with a sackfull of possesions, to which he soon adds the supplies from the stores. Then he secures himself a bunk, leaving all but his knife there. Once he's finished 'moving in', he heads downstairs to the bar and motions for a drink, then begins to listen to the conversation.

dual_wielder
2007-12-20, 09:47 PM

Surian listens intently to Bruce's speech. He finishes what few pieces of meat had been left on his plate, then slowly rises and heads towards the library. Once there, he glosses over the contract, not having much of a mind for money-talk. He signs his name with a flourish and takes his brooch. He views it with a smile, pinning it carefully to the right side of his chest.

I shall wear this with pride. I am honored to represent this guild, and will do my best to do it justice.

He then heads down to the storeroom and gratefully accepts the supplies. He grabs one of the new arrows, holding it so that it is pressed against his forearm to check its straightness and the quality of the wood. Impressed, his places the new arrows in the quiver on his bunk and goes back down to the common room. He orders an ale and sits down next to Victor.

And what be your name friend? You seem to be a strong enough man, and well equipped. What role will you be filling in our merry band?

SithLackey
2007-12-21, 12:26 AM
Victor, Half-Elf Fighter

"I am Victor and, as with many of my people, I am an accomplished horseman and archer. To answer your question more accurately, I am a Vanorian, the pround mercenaries who roam the plains. I shall lend my skills as a cavalryman and warrior as best I am able, and archer and soldier when I am not. What of yourself?" Victor listens intently and sips his beer, keen to learn as much about his soon-to-be companions as possible.

Rafe
2007-12-21, 10:15 AM
Aurlic, human cleric

Aulric follows his fellows into the library, pausing to examine the map to get a bearing how far he's traveled. His eyes roam the other areas his years have taken him. With a wistful shake of his head, he turns his attentions to the table and the contracts.

After browsing the contents, re-reading portions, he sets his quill to ink and signs his name and takes up a brooch, fastening it on his cloak.

"Again, thanks for your invitation and welcome. As with my comrades, I shall endeavour to do this guild honour."

In the storeroom, Aulric takes the gear offered, nodding his thanks to the quartermaster. Seeing his comrades returning to the common room, the priest makes his way to his room, stows the new gear, and heads back to the common room to sit and speak with them.

Aulric offers his arm to Victor. "Well-met, horseman. I am Aulric Taine, warrior priest of Morrow."

Thymin
2007-12-21, 10:43 AM

Sitting at a table absently strumming on his lute, and taking in the sights as he is want to do, Dravick sees the latecomer enter the common room. I have never seen someone who looks like that before. I wonder if he is one of the fable elves from the faraway land of the East.

He studies the man intently, his curiousity piqued by the chance to not only meet but to adventure alongside someone from so far away. He sees the others in the group greeting him, and he stands up and walks over to introduce himself as well.

"Hello good sir, my name is Dravick, I am a collector of tales and legends, and I look forward to the adventures we will surely share. Perhaps we could all share a drink now that we are all officially adventuring companions?"

He takes a seat and signals to Ana to bring drinks for the table while flashing her a smile. "What better way indeed to forge a new friendship than over drinks?"

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-21, 10:50 AM
Brelgan walks into the Common Room from the Foyer. He is carrying a small box made of scrap wood panels crudely nailed together. It looks similar to the crates you might see at the dock waiting to be loaded onto boats, but this one is only about 6" x 3" x 3".

Brelgan
"Hello Adventurers! Some nice old lady just gave this to me at the gate for - she said it's a welcome to the neighborhood gift. I wonder what it is - it's kinda heavy!"

He sets it on the table in the middle of the Common Room.

Rafe
2007-12-21, 10:58 AM
Aulric, human cleric

Aulric stands and joins Brelgan by the table, looking down at the small box. The cleric picks it up and feels its weight. With an affirmative grunt, he says, "Indeed, it has a solid heft to it." Looking to his companions gathered around the table near the fire, he asks, "Would any of you care to do the honours?"

Aulric holds it aloft in their direction.

SithLackey
2007-12-21, 11:30 AM
Victor, Half Elf Fighter

Victor returns the clasp wholeheartedly. "Well met indeed, Aulric." Then, as Brelgan enters, "You're more than welcome to open any strange packages that come our way." Victor watches expectantly, still sipping his beer.

Thymin
2007-12-21, 11:59 AM

"A gift for us? Already? Well go on Aulric open it so that we can see what we've been given!"

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-21, 12:47 PM
You will need to pry apart the pieces of wood that are loosely nailed together. There is no lid or buckle or anything like that.

Thymin
2007-12-21, 12:51 PM
"On second thought, I will open it for it seems that I may be the only one of us so excited to know the contents."

Dravick sits in front of the box at the table and begins to pry it open, trying to figure out what it is even before he gets it fully opened.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-21, 01:36 PM
Dravick pries at the box in front of him as he sits at the table, Aulric and Brelgan standing next to him, and Victor sipping his beer nearby. After a good tug, you hear the squeak of the nails sliding...and the subtle sound of something ripping? An instant later, an explosion rocks the Common Room. A flaming substance blows out of the box, directly at Dravick's head, but also spraying Aulric, Brelgan, and Victor.

Dravick takes [roll0] damage.
Aulric takes 1 damage.
Victor takes 1 damage.
Brelgan takes 1 damage.

Instinctively, the four of you try to swipe at the burning substance on you.

Dravick: Reflex saving throw versus catching on fire (-2 for sitting in front of the box): [roll1]
Aulric: [roll2]
Victor: [roll3]
Brelgan: [roll4]
(nobody post anything until I post whether or not these guys catch on fire)

Rafe
2007-12-21, 01:41 PM
Aulric, human cleric

The priest places a firm hand on the bard's shoulder. "Hold, friend. Give me but a moment before you reveal the contents."

Placing his calloused hand about the silver warhammer holy symbol hanging from the chain at his neck, Aulric gazes heavenward, raising his other hand, palm upwards. "Morrow, Lord of Righteous Defense, bless your servant with the vision to see beyond the veneer of the mundane!"

Faint energy hums through Aulric's palm, traveling through his arm. His eyes gleam cerulean momentarily, and he turns his gaze upon the box, narrowing his eyes as he attempts to look through the wood and beyond.

I cast Detect Magic... I'll focus for 3 rounds to benefit from the spell's full effect.

((Sorry, Bonecrusher... we must have been posting at the same time.))

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-21, 01:52 PM
The flames on Aulric and Brelgan quickly die out, but Victor's sleeve catches on fire, and Dravick screams as his hair bursts into flame.

Victor takes [roll0] damage.
Dravick takes [roll1] damage.

Victor and Aulric may take one more action, then it's Erutaron, Surian, and Enar's turn to act and also give me a chance to tell you the results of your action (such as...are you still on fire?) before anybody posts again. Just tell me what you do and I'll do the dice rolling.

EDIT:Dravick slumps out of his chair and onto the floor, unconscious and still burning.

Rafe
2007-12-21, 02:14 PM
Aulric, human cleric

Placing his calloused hand about the silver warhammer holy symbol hanging from the chain at his neck, Aulric gazes heavenward, raising his other hand, palm upwards. "Morrow, bless this servant with the grace to relieve this man's ills!"

Faint energy hums through Aulric's palm, a cerulean mist swirling about his fingers. As he kneels by Dravick and places his palm against the youth's chest, with his other hand, he pours Dravick's tankard over his head to quench the flames.

Cure Light Wounds on Dravick, 1d8+1 is the roll. Not sure how you want to resolve pouring the drink over his head.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-21, 02:38 PM
There is a hiss of steam as Aulric "baptizes" Dravick with ale, extinguishing the flames. The badly injured man is bathed in the light of divine magic until his facial wounds close and heal, leaving only a badly burned scalp and charred hair. Dravick does not become conscious, but his breaths are now peaceful.

Cure Light Wounds restores [roll0] of Dravick's hit points.

If I'm not mistaken, Dravick now has 0 hit points.

dual_wielder
2007-12-21, 06:35 PM

As Surian opened his mouth to answer Victor the package arrives. He is wary about opening it, and starts forward to stop Dravick just a moment too late.

I think introductions will have to wait, Victor.

He leans down next to Dravick, trying to extinguish any flames lingering on his clothing. When everything seems to be ok, he turns to the rest of the group.

May this be a lesson for all of us. Our friend was a little over-excited, no doubt made bold by the drink. We are now part of an organization that has made many enemies over the years. He must be cautious at all times, suspicious of the most mundane item we come across. Aulric, do what you can for our friend here. And Victor, you may call me Surian. I am also a skilled archer, but will be serving as pathfinder for this group.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to act yet. I admit I'm a little confused about the situation, so I'll post this now and it can take place whenever it's actually my turn.

Oslecamo
2007-12-21, 07:44 PM
Enar screamed in horror at seeing the explosion and flames. It was all her fault, she should be the one who had tried to open the box, she whould be the one laying uncoscious on the ground...How didn't she did suspect of it, that it could be a trap?

Oh gods please forgive me I should've been the one opening the box! It was my duty of the group, to look for traps but...But I never imagined anyone could mean us harm in here, so soon...Please forgive me, I was so naive.

Crying she runned to was left of the traped box, seeing if it there wasn't any kind of danger left. Or if she could discover who ahd how it had been built.

I make a search check in the remains of the box. My character wants to see if still represents danger and if I can discover something on the way it was built.

Rafe
2007-12-21, 10:18 PM
Aulric, human cleric

The priest nods to Surian. "I will do what I am able, friend, but I think bedrest now would be his best ally."

Aulric narrows his eyes in concentration and begins to murmur a prayer.
Another Cure Light Wounds
He smiles in sympathy to Enar. "Worry not, lass. It was no one's fault that such circumstances came upon us unawares. As Surian has said, let this be a lesson to us all and Dravick's harm was not in vain." With a steadying hand on Dravick's shoulder, he asks, "Are you able stand, my friend?"

SithLackey
2007-12-21, 10:26 PM
Victor, Half Elf Fighter

Victor's first priority is getting his arm out. He quickly presses it to the bar where the remnants of his spilled beer is beginning to soak into the wood, and continues to press until the flames are out. Once they are, he grins a little as Surian continues their conversation from earlier, but he is a bit preoccupied by the sudden outburst of the girl next to him. "Calm down miss... Enar, was it? I don't think anyone here was expecting that to happen. We only just signed on, there was no reason to expect someone to attack us already. That said, Surian is right. We have made ourselves targets in the eyes of some, and must tread carefully. He seems to pause a moment, and then begins to look at his arm. That stings. And on my new tunic, too! Well, that's life, I guess. He sits back down and motions for another drink to sip.

Thymin
2007-12-21, 10:51 PM

As Dravick comes to he asks "unh, wh-what happ...", but he begins to remember and then, "Oh, no! Is everyone okay?"

He looks around the room, and sees the damage and the chaos, but everyone else seems to be fairly okay, if not worse for the wear, he hopes...

What have I done, I didn't take the danger seriously enough

"I am truly sorry everyone, I will be more careful in the future."

He feels a large steadying hard on his shoulder accompanied by Auldric's voice. He turns his head and says, "Thank you my friend, I can stand. But I think I should like to get some sleep now. Please let me know if you find out who sent us this 'gift' I think I would like to repay the kindness soon."

He turns and walks slowly and somberly towards the bunk house...

dual_wielder
2007-12-21, 10:58 PM
Surian sighs, happy to see that everyone is ok. He smiles reassuringly at Dravick, letting him know that he harbors no ill-will towards him.

Dravick is right. What we need to do next is find out who could have done this. Perhaps Brelgan can give us some more details on the appearance of the "kind old woman."

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-22, 04:21 PM
Brelgan
Sniffing back tears as he looks at his burn, Brelgan says,
"She was just some lady, kinda old, not really old, nice clothes. A human lady. I never saw her before, she just said to give the box to the adventurers as a welcome gift and then she mussed up my hair."

Enar examines the smoldering remains of their "welcoming gift." It appears to have been made of ordinary wood, and the only thing inside was an animal bladder of some sort, which is now in shreds, with the residue of whatever that highly flammable substance once. The nails, however, seem somewhat unusual - most of them seem to have a sort of barb on them that protruded into the crate, and judging by the bits of bladder on them, must have hooked and eventually torn the bladder open when Dravick was prying on the side of the box.

At that moment, Bruce runs in.
Bruce
"What... oh! Pelor save us!

Brelgan
"Some lady gave us this box, and it blew up, Papa."

Bruce
"...it blew...You're hurt, my boy! And with Eldon gone to the Council Chambers! Go to your room, your mother is waiting up there, tell her what happened and wait for Eldon to come heal you. The rest of you, take this for a lesson... we can't be too cautious. Some of the senior guilds would like nothing better than for us to meet with disaster, so we just need to keep a low profile until we become more established and make some political allies. I suggest you heal yourselves and find something to do for the rest of the day."

Rafe
2007-12-22, 05:40 PM
Aulric, human cleric

((For the second Cure Light Wounds))
[roll0]

Aulric frowns at Bruce, looking back over the damages caused by this simple yet deadly trap. "Sir, are we not to attempt to investigate this? I find it difficult to accept that we must simply shrug and allow such an attack on both ourselves and this, your home, to go unpursued." The bald man's hand rests firmly on his warhammer.

Thymin
2007-12-22, 09:42 PM

Dravick sleeps restlessly, waking occassionally. His dreams are troubled, and they each come back around to an explosion that wakes him.

Brelgan was there! I put him in danger, I put my team in danger! My adventuring companions signed on for danger, just not from me. I must never be so reckless again, especially with innocent bystanders around.

Dravick's unease about the day's events slowly evolve into a resolve to be a better and more cautious adventurer. He falls back asleep, hoping for a better day tomorrow....

dual_wielder
2007-12-22, 10:32 PM

I agree with Aulric, Sir. We must not allow these criminals to go unpunished. That would just encourage them to attack this guild.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-23, 12:53 AM
Bruce's facial expression changes from one of anger to... a small smile, with a touch of wicked anticipation?

Bruce
"Well of course, you're going to look into it, Adventurers! That's what you're here to do! And I want you to make those cowardly bastards pay, so they never dream of doing something like this again! When I say keep a low profile, I just mean follow guild rules: be discreet, especially in town.

"Tell you what - let me give you somewhere to start looking. The Weavers' Guild is probably the guild most unhappy about the Dungcarters and the Adventurers joining the council, because the Weavers are the most senior guild, and with every new guild lose power. I don't think you should go to their guildhouse, but instead go to their main warehouse, in the Docks district of town. It's right next to a church of Garl Glittergold, where my wife and Lankin go - I'm afraid even though I call on Pelor in my time of need, I'm not much of a churchgoer - but anyway, ask Lankin for a map of town to help you find your way there. It's not too far away; you could look into it this evening or if you'd rather rest you can wait until morning."

Just then Eldon comes in the front door.

Eldon
It's alright Bruce, I just caught Brelgan in the foyer. I healed him and he explained everything to me. We must stop whoever did this or the next attack will be worse. Come, everyone, let me heal your wounds.

Everyone is back up to full hit points, but any spell slots you used are still empty.

SithLackey
2007-12-23, 06:59 AM
Victor, Half Elf Fighter

"My choice would be to go now, as they are not likely to expect us to recover from their trick so quickly. I assume we shall go armed?"

dual_wielder
2007-12-23, 09:41 AM

Surian's look of concern vanishes, replaced with a smile, although his eyes flash red. He nods and chuckles at Bruce's enthusiasm, and walks towards the door.

You are right Victor. Surprise may well be our best ally. If no one has any quarrels with this plan, I will go wake Dravick and get my gear from my bunk.

Rafe
2007-12-23, 10:02 AM
Aulric, human cleric

Aulric chuckles. "Morrow, surely you've blessed me with staunch and forthright comrades. Very well, then. Surian shall wake Dravick. I shall see Lankin and enquire about this map. Let us be swift!"

The warrior priest checks the clasps at his belt and adjusts a rib-cinch on his mail shirt.

"I will meet you all in the foyer momentarily." Turning to Eldon and Bruce, he says, "Sirs, we may re-pay you for this night's food and drink sooner than was thought!"

With that, Aulric heads back down to the storeroom, hunting for Lankin, hoping the quartermaster has time to find them this map Bruce spoke of.

dual_wielder
2007-12-23, 10:13 AM
Surian smiles and winks at Aulric before heading out the door towards the bunkroom. He find Dravick sleeping (if restlessly) and covered in a small layer of sweat. He places his hand on Dravick's shoulder and gently pushes him awake.

Awake, my friend. We travel to discover the perepetrators of the attack against us. And also, drive what happened back there to the very back of your mind. Keep it there as a reminder, but do not dwell on it. Regrets left unchecked will consume your entire being.

With that, Surian walks to his bunk and grabs his bow and quiver. He meticulously straps the quiver of arrows across his back and strings his bow, making sure the string is taut. He wipes down the bow quickly with a cloth covered in a substance he concocted in his time spent in the eastern mountains, giving the bow better flexibility. He takes the rest of his gear from the trunk and places it all in its proper place. He smiles at Dravick before walking back to the Common Room to see if any of his other companions had finished their preparations

SithLackey
2007-12-23, 12:49 PM
Victor, Half Elf Fighter

Pleased with the agreement, Victor heads upstairs and unpacks his more combat-oriented gear. He pulls on his studded leather and checks the buckles, then straps his shield to his back. As soon as he is ready, mace at his waist, bow in hand, he heads back downstairs.

Thymin
2007-12-23, 01:09 PM
Dravick (human/bard):

Dravick wakes easily, feeling much better and ready to redeem himself to his group.

"Thank you friend, I will do as you suggest. I will learn from this experience, not dwell on it." He flashes a smile at Surian, and hops down from his bunk.

He opens his trunk and dons his leather armor. He straps his shortsword securely to his belt and tucks his dagger into his boot. He slings his quiver of arrows over his shoulder and picks up grabs his short bow. He fastens his cloak over his armor and affixes his adventurer's guild brooch over the left side of his chest. The rest of his belongings, with the exception of his lute, which he left downstairs leaning againt the wall in the common room before the explosion, he locks in his trunk and tucks the key into a pocket in his cloak.

He then strides purposefully and confidently downstairs to the common room to see what the state of affairs is.

Dravick will make a Knowlege (Local) check (+4) to see if he can guess who might have been behind the attack.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-23, 01:31 PM
Lankin is in the basement, curiously sitting on a bench, doing nothing but staring at the far wall. When Aulric asks him for the map, he goes into the equipment room and finds a crude sketch on a small piece of greasy vellum and gives it to Aulric.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/AdvGuild/bridgeport.jpg

All that Dravick can come up with, pondering over who in Bridgeport might make an attack like that, is that large crates similar to their little "welcome package" are commonly used at the ocean port on the south end of town.

Rafe
2007-12-23, 01:51 PM
Aulric

Aulric accepts the greasy vellum and gazes at the rough map, nodding to himself as he pinpoints various locales.

"My thanks, Lankin. Keep well!" the warrior priest bids the man, and ascends the stairs to the foyer. Once there, Aulric shows his fellows the map.

"Can any of you suggest a place to begin looking?" he asks, glancing around at his companions.

dual_wielder
2007-12-23, 02:02 PM

I say we start by heading to the main warehouse, as Bruce suggested. I believe he said it was down by the docks, near the church of Garl Glittergold. It seems a logical place to investigate. Does the map show any hint of such a location?

Thymin
2007-12-23, 03:02 PM
"I know where that area is. I am quite familiar with this town."

Edit:
RTST :)

SithLackey
2007-12-23, 03:26 PM
Victor, Half Elf Fighter

Victor straightens his own brooch, then absentmindedly pulls an arrow from his quiver and begins to play with it. "Well. then, lead on."

Ready To Skip Time
For any of you who don't know, RTST is simply an abbreviation used to let the DM know that they've finished all the actions, conversation, etc. that they want to do before the DM skips to the next scene. Use it if you want, or not.

Thymin
2007-12-23, 03:57 PM

Once the group is assembled, Dravick leads them down to port area.

As he leads them through the twilight, he thinks about the different scenarios that could come of their "investigation." He hopes that violence can be averted, but is assured by the readiness of the group. He tightens his grip on his bow and keeps a searching eye on their surroundings.

Rafe
2007-12-23, 04:31 PM
Aulric

The priest nods to Dravick and follows the party, his warhammer and shield in hand. Aulric is the first to admit when he is beyond his skill, and navigation and tracking are not his strengths. Allowing his comrades to take the lead, he readies himself for what may come.

As they wander through the evening streets, Aulric nods in agreement with Dravick: "I, too, hope we need not resort to violence, but should it be necessary, let us not hesitate."

RTST - ready to skip time

Spot check: [roll0]
Listen check: [roll1]

dual_wielder
2007-12-23, 09:27 PM

Surian places his bow in his hands, an arrow at the ready. He walks near the front of the group, preferring to have a clear path for his arrow to travel. His eyes rove restlessly, and he is on his guard on the entire trip to the docks.

For what it's worth: RTST
Spot check: [roll0]
Listen check: [roll1]

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-26, 02:38 PM
The adventurers get a few strange looks as they proceed through Old East Bridgeport, armed to the teeth like a combat patrol, but they arrive at the Port District without any trouble. Following the map, they turn a corner and see two square buildings side by side, which the adventurers from Bridgeport easily identify as the usual architecture for a warehouse. However, one of them has been renovated into a rather shabby temple of Garl Glittergold, identified by its decorations. It seems to be a popular place of worship, however, as there is a steady trickle of people (mostly gnomes) in and out of its wide front entrance.
The other building is not decorated, but it's barn-like doors are open and the adventurers can see huge bales of cotton and wool inside. A man with a loaded crossbow sits on one of the bales closest to the entryway, idly watching the flow of Garl Glittergold's devotees.

Rafe
2007-12-26, 02:48 PM
Aulric

From a corner of a building, the tall priest eyes the squat structures and scowls, spying the crossbow guard. "I'm not one for stealth and silence," Aulric admits. "Also, we have no proof of their involvement as of yet." Looking to Enar, Dravick and Surian: "How should we proceed? My skill is in my faith and hammer-arm, not guile and subtlety."

dual_wielder
2007-12-26, 03:15 PM
Surian Oron

Surian eyes the building closely, looking for any kind of alternate entry point.

I can be stealthy if need be, and I believe our friend Enar is quite well known for it. I shall head around the building on one side, Enar can go around the other. I'll report back with any information that may help our investigation.

Surian nods to the group and heads of, keeping to the shadows and keeping his eyes and ears open.

Move silently:[roll0]
Search:[roll1]
Listen:[roll2]
Spot:[roll3]
Ok, I just did every roll that seemed like it could come into play. Let me know if it's overkill.

dual_wielder
2007-12-26, 03:16 PM
Hide:[roll0]
Scratch that, one more roll.

Rafe
2007-12-26, 03:30 PM
Aulric

The cleric nods his agreement, and slips back behind the building to wait, keeping an eye on the surroundings as his more able comrades slip about in the deepening darkness as night comes on.

Hide: [roll0] (normally it's 1d20-6, but I gave myself a cover and circumstance bonus since I'm not moving and I'm behind the building)
Spot: [roll1]

Thymin
2007-12-26, 05:21 PM
Dravick:

"I will scout around a bit too, I can sneak fairly well also."

Dravick heads out into the shadows to look for an alternate entrance to the warehouse and to try to keep an eye on Surian from a safe distance, in case he runs into any trouble.

Hide = +6
Listen = +5
Move Silently = +6
Search= +2
Spot= +1
Hope that covers it.

SithLackey
2007-12-27, 07:41 PM
Victor

"I can sneak, but I would rather not unless it is a necessity. What exactly are we planning to do, anyway?"

Hide - +2
Move Silently - +2
Listen - +1
Spot - +1
Victor is staying close to whichever part of the group is doing the least sneaking about for now.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-28, 12:56 AM
The backs of the warehouse and the temple are identical. They both have a single, unadorned door, presumably a service entrance. There is a small dirt area behind the buildings with an alley behind that. There are a few trees and clumps of foliage suitable for a person to hide behind. Nobody seems to be around the back, though if you cross from one building to the other there is a chance someone could see you from the street at the front by looking between the buildings.

You can hide behind the foliage so either you are hidden from the building or hidden from the alley, but you can't hide in the foliage so that you're hidden from detection from both sides at the same time.

dual_wielder
2007-12-28, 01:12 PM
Surian Oron (human ranger)

Surian heads towards the foliage, making sure to stay out of sight from the building. The alley piques his interest, so he walks slowly towards the alley, remembering to stay well hidden.

Staying out of sight of the building and checking out the alley.
Move Silently:[roll1]
Search:[roll2]
Listen:[roll4]

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-28, 05:15 PM
Surian peers out from the brush and looks up and down the alley, seeing no-one and nothing of interest, save cart-tracks and footprints. As night falls, the Adventurers see the guard close the doors in the front of the warehouse. The flow of worshippers to the church of Garl Glittergold seems to have stopped. As Dravick watches from a well-concealed position in the back, the guard exits the back door and locks it, placing the key onto a ring on his belt. As the guard turns, his gaze sweeps over the location of Surian...

[roll0]

Fortunately the sun dips below the horizon just as the guard turns, and the shadows of twilight conceal the ranger. The guard walks across the dirt area and turns to walk towards the street, between the warehouse and the church...

dual_wielder
2007-12-29, 01:51 PM
Surian Oron

Surian shakes his head and sighs in relief as the guard walks by. He then heads back to where he last saw Aulric, and gives his report.

I don't know about everyone else, but I saw nothing of interest. There is an alley behind the building, but that was yet another dead end. Any ideas about what to do next my friend?

Rafe
2007-12-29, 02:21 PM
Aulric, human cleric

The priest listens to Surian's assessment and claps him on the shoulder. "Well done, Surian Silent Step!"

Aulric purses his lips, thinking. "I think we may need to await Dravick and list to his tale. Then we can better decide a course of action. For now, I think we ought to stand by and keep an eye open on that guild hall." Aulric rubs his chin. "If they are merely a weavers' guild, why do they require a guard armed with a crossbow? That seems like heavy armament for such a placid trade..."

dual_wielder
2007-12-29, 03:13 PM
Surian Oron

Surians smiles and nods at Aulric's observation. He scratches at his cheek, trying to think up a possible explanation.

Indeed, I wondered at that myself. I can't imagine many robberies taking place, because it would probably be cheaper to buy whatever you needed than to become a theif. That guard is causing me more and more discomfort...

Thymin
2007-12-30, 02:07 AM
Dravick:

Dravick hides as the guard walks out into the street and then tries to see where he goes. He will follow him from a safe distance if there seems to be enough cover to do so...

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-30, 07:04 AM
Dravick follows the guard for about a half mile, where he stops and opens the door to a small cottage. A dog runs out the door, and the guard scratches it behind the ears for a moment before motioning for it to go back inside with him. He then closes the door, slipping the crossbow off his shoulder as he does so. Dravick can hear a man's voice in pleasant conversation with a woman and children's voices, and he smells something savory in the air... turnips, garlic, and mutton, perhaps.

Meanwhile the rest of the time is hiding in the foliage in the vacant lot on one side of the warehouse (the opposite side as the church of Garl Glittergold) and in the narrow strip of young trees that serve as a border between the small dirt back yard of the warehouse and the service alley. There is very little traffic on the street as the night grows darker, no sign of activity at the warehouse (though there are no windows), and only an occasional person walking in or out of the church every ten or fifteen minutes.

EDIT:The lot surrounding the building is kept very tidy, without any trash or crates stored outdoors. The only clutter is a broom at the front and a dung jar at the back.

SithLackey
2007-12-30, 10:48 AM
Victor

"Breaking and entering isn't my specialty, but it seems that doing something is better than waiting the night out here. Enar, you said you have some skill with locks, did you not?"

Rafe
2007-12-30, 11:17 AM
Aulric, human cleric

The war priest runs a hand over his scalp. "It is not the norm for me to enter a place without permission, and as of yet, we have no evidence beyond Bruce's speculation. While I wish to avenge ourselves and right the wrong done to us, I also have no wish to spend my first night in this city in a jailhouse." The cleric smiles wryly.

"Is there no means of being certain these are the ones we seek?"

Aulric peers back towards the building in the growing dark of late evening. "Dravick may have some news for us that could light this choice we're faced with."

Looking to Surian: "Surian, did you spy any entrances at the rear?"

((Bonecrusher Doc, are there any crates or anything outside that we might be able to go and inspect to see if there might be breaks in any of them? In other words, look for pieces broken off that are of the approximate size of the "gift" we received?))

dual_wielder
2007-12-30, 01:22 PM
Surian Oron

Yes, Aulric, I did. There was a small door behind the building. Probably just a service entrance, but an entrance nonetheless.

SithLackey
2007-12-30, 01:38 PM
Victor

Victor tilts his head to the side in thought. "Well, the weavers seem to have the most motive to attack, but no, without a confession, or some sort of damning evidence, there really is no way to be sure. Since we can count on them to confess nothing, the only option left to us is to find the evidence or force them to admit to their actions. Seems to me the most peaceful method for all involved is to do a little search."

"Where is Dravick, anyway?" Victor shifts uneasily, looking around for any sign of anything.

dual_wielder
2007-12-30, 05:42 PM
Surian Oron

Surian's face twists into a frown, his brow creasing. He stands on his toes, looking for any sign of Dravick or where he could have gone.

He is the only one missing... I say we give him another few minutes. If he is not back by then, I will try to track where he could have gone. After all, my tracking abilities are what got me on this excellent team, right? I hope he has not gotten himself into further trouble. He seemed to want to prove himself after the mishap at headquarters...

Surian continues to shift from foot to foot, constantly checking to see if Dravick is returning.

Thymin
2007-12-30, 10:26 PM
Dravick:

Taking careful note of which house belongs to the guard, Dravick heads back to the group to see let them know what he found out, which isn't much. As the city gets darker Dravick relies on his familiarity of the city to return to the warehouse. When he gets there he says, "I followed the guard to see if he was going to meet with other members of his guild, but he was only going home. I'm afraid that the lead didn't help much. What do you guys think we should do? I don't think that we should try to break in, but maybe we can get information in another way."

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-31, 09:30 AM
The adventurers suddenly hear a rustle in the bushes close behind them, as if a very large animal were approaching.

Thymin
2007-12-31, 09:36 AM
Dravick:

Dravick turns to see what made the noise, and he readies himself for anything. His stance is wide and ready and his right hand drops to the hilt of his sword. Don't get too jumpy now. It's probably nothing threatening. But if it is, I'm ready.

Rafe
2007-12-31, 09:36 AM
Aulric, human cleric

Aulric sighs in relief as Dravick sneaks back to the group. He listens while the bard reports on the guard, and proposed gaining information. "I have to agree. How do you propose we do so? I, and others, are new to this city and no nothing of its workings. I don't believe that any guild member here will freely give any information to incriminate themselves----"

The war priest narrows his eyes and peers in the direction of the rustling sound, his hammer ready, shield raised. "Ware! Something approaches..."

Initiative, if needed: [roll0]

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-31, 02:07 PM
The source of the sound turns out to be a familiar face, followed by two other people.

Bruce (whispering, as he trips on some low bushes)
"Ah, there you are! I thought you could use some help, so I brought two new members with me! I... what's that?"

You can faintly see the door of the warehouse outlined in light, as if someone had just lit a torch inside. A few seconds later, the light goes out.

Erutaron
"I've had enough of this skulking around in the bushes and hometown political intrigue! This is not what I had in mind when I said I'd join an adventurers' guild!"

Enar
"I'm not sure what I imagined this was going to be, but you can count me out too. Sorry."

Bruce frowns.
Bruce
"Well, it's not for everyone, that's for sure. You two come back with me to the guildhall to turn in your insignia. And I'll expect your 10 gold expense account returned to Lankin."

As Bruce, Erutaron, and Enar crash through the bushes back to the street, you can hear Bruce muttering, "Just as well. Any more than six in a party and they'll be making too much noise!" The rest of the party is left to ponder the mysterious light in the warehouse they had presumed to be empty, and to whisper greetings to the new party members.

dual_wielder
2007-12-31, 02:20 PM
Surian Oron

Surian relaxes visibly as Dravick approaches, but his frown increases when he learns that Dravick too had found nothing of interest. At the sound of the rustling, however, he spun quickly on his heel. In a flash, his bow was in his hand with an arrow at the ready, pointing directly towards the bushes. His movements were quick and fluid, obviously rehearsed time and time again for efficiency. He is silent, simply staring at the suspicious bushes and foliage.

He relaxes and lowers his bow as Bruce emerges. He sighs and frowns as two of his teammates leave, but his mind is drawn away by the sudden light. He looks to Aulric, a confused look on his face, awaiting advice.

MK Kilmarnock
2007-12-31, 08:13 PM
Zan Morseworth, Human Cleric
Zan wandered outside the entrance to the shabby temple of Garl Glittergold.
Stupid sense of time... I'm pretty sure this is where I was directed to go, correct? So I should see somebody...

Zan makes a spot check (+3) To see if the team he is supposed to be a part of is nearby.

rockdeworld
2008-01-01, 05:52 PM
Kyte, Human Rogue

Having met Bruce, Kyte agreed to his terms and followed him to where the group was located. After Bruce leaves, Kyte drops to one knee, checking out the others in his current party and the surrounding area.

"What's the situation?" He asks in a low voice.

Thymin
2008-01-02, 10:59 AM
Dravick:

Having seen the light inside the warehouse, and after hearing the stampede that Bruce and the others had caused, Dravick decides that the group should retire to a more secure location. "Follow me," he whispers to his fellow adventurers, "I think we should repair a bit down the street to exchange introductions, and talk about our next move."

Dravick then silently and casually walks about a block down the street into a shaded area where he can just see the warehouse. He waits for his friends, and the newcomers, to follow and then says "Welcome, newcomers, my name is Dravick. We were attacked recently by parties unknown, and we are trying to investigate the Weaver's Guild because we suspect that they may have been responsible. Now, I do not presume to be the leader of this group, but I do think that we have a big decision to make here. The way I see it, we have limited options regarding this situation. After seeing the light inside the warehouse, it would seem that there is someone there and that there is some kind of activity going on inside. We can seek to force our way into the building to find out what is going on. To me, this seems like folly. We are only here on a hunch, and breaking into a building would bring dishonor upon our guild if we are wrong, and possibly pain and death to us, if there are too many people inside. Alternatively, we could stick around and watch for activity while remaining hidden, but I think that it would only be a matter of time before we're noticed. We could leave and come back tomorrow in the daytime to see what we can find out then. Or we could try to find out information in a more conventional setting. We could go and see if anyone in the area has anything to say about strange goings on with the Weaver's or at the warehouse. It is this last suggestion that I think will gain us the most reward at the lowest cost, but I am willing to try whatever path the team decides upon. Like I said, I don't presume to make any orders. Oh, and I think it might be worthwhile to check out the tavern nearest the guards house, he might enjoy an ale or two after a long day at work..."

Dravick smiles at the group and waits for their response.

rockdeworld
2008-01-02, 11:51 AM
Spot check for anything around or inside the warehouse: [roll0]
Kyte follows Dravick to his hiding spot, and listens to him talk.

Any of those ideas would work. Kyte thinks to himself. He takes a knee and waits for someone else to speak, to decide on a plan. Whatever we do is fine, as long as there's no waiting around.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-02, 10:44 PM
"Man.. they're over there!? Come on!"
Trying to contend with a state of "spacing out", Zan hurries back to his new team near the warehouse.

He also makes a spot check, looking over the warehouse for ways in, any sort of surveillance, and other inherit dangers.
[roll0]

"Um... h-hello everyone."

dual_wielder
2008-01-03, 09:30 PM
Surian Oron

Surian's eyes flick over to the warehouse as the lights turn on. He shifts back and forth, an arrow twirling in between his index and middle finger. He seems anxious, and isn't hiding it. He slows down and chuckles at the impatience and nervousness of the two newest members, however, and considers everything Dravick has proposed.

I think that whichever one of us is most confident in their abilities of stealth should inspect the builidng. Are either of you too skilled in the art of being sneaky bastards?

Surian laughs at his own crude attempt at humor (it happens so rarely these days, but he used to be known for it) before continuing.

Oh, introductions. I am Surian Oron, the pathfinder of this fine group. I also have an interest in archery, and will lend my skills in the bow if need be.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-03, 10:52 PM
Zan Morseworth

"... Nice to meet you, Surian. My... my apologies. I'm not very sneaky, I'm afraid. I'm here to help you guys out in some sort of pinch, and maybe offer some spells to the mix."

Zan looked down, apparently disappointed for not being able to take such a task.

rockdeworld
2008-01-04, 12:20 AM
Sleight of Hand to draw weapon[roll0]
Kyte looks at Surian, and looks the warrior up and down. In a flash, his sword appears in his hand, and he twirls between his fingers as Surian had done a moment ago.

"I can do that." He says, with a bit of confidence in his normally monotone voice. "I am Kyte."

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-04, 02:25 AM
As the night grows later, there is nobody to be seen on the dark streets, until around midnight, when three large men wearing traveling cloaks walk up to the church of Garl Glittergold, and pause at then entrance. After looking around (not seeing the adventurers), one man stays outside at the entrance while the other two go into the church.

SithLackey
2008-01-04, 04:59 PM
Victor

Victor raises an eyebrow at his new companion's zeal, then glances at the newcomers to the temple. "That's odd. I doubt there are many in this city who would have a need to leave a guard whilst they pray." He nods at Kyte. "Well met. if you think you can look around without causing an alarm, I would have no problem with you doing so." Then he turns back to the rest of the group and gestures twoards the temple. "I think it might be prudent to take a look at what our friends in the temple there are doing as well. It might just be relevant. You may have to use deception to aid your entrance, as their guard will not take lightly to anyone from the Adventurer's guild if they were involved. The rest of us would be ready to enter upon any sign of trouble, of course." He waits a moment and looks around to see the group's reaction.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-04, 10:23 PM
Zan scratched at the traces of a red beard growing on his chin, thinking.

"That sounds pretty good and all, as Kyte knows what he's doing. For me... well, all it takes is for you to tell me exactly what I need to be doing. Maybe... er, maybe I could go in. It would look natural, anyway, as long as I hid signs of worshipping my deity. I'm devout, it should work..."

Thymin
2008-01-04, 11:14 PM
Dravick:

Dravick thinks over the new options now that the three men have entered the scene. "I think I will leave the sneaking to Kyte, but I can go with you to the church if you want. I have a good way with people, and can talk my way into and out of many situations. That is of course unless you prefer to go alone, or if you think going together would be too suspicious." He smiles and waits for the rest of the group to speak their minds.

rockdeworld
2008-01-05, 01:02 PM
"We have 2 places we need to inspect." Kyte states dully. "I saw a vent in the warehouse that I can enter through." He points to a slatted, wooden vent near the roof. "And there is also an entrance in the back. The vent is more stealthy, while the back entrance is easier access."

Kyte looks to Zan and Dravick. "The two of you can enter the church, while Surian and I go into the warehouse."

SithLackey
2008-01-05, 01:24 PM
Victor

"Luck and speed be to you all. Aulric and I will stay here. I pray we're not needed."

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-05, 02:24 PM
The wooden vent, about eight feet off the ground, looks fragile/rotten enough that some of the boards could be pryed away to make space for a medium sized person to squeeze through. It could make some noise prying a board out, however.

Come up with some way to get up to the height of the board, and whoever pries the board out of place should make a Move Silently roll when doing so.

rockdeworld
2008-01-05, 09:44 PM
Kyte heads to the warehouse, beneath where the vent is, and out of sight of the guard at the door of the church of Garl Glittergold. Looking up at the vent, Kyte sees a way to get it off silently and then sneak in through the space. He turns to Surian.

"If you help me up, I can get the vent down and one of us can crawl in, while the other goes in through the back entrance."

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-05, 10:15 PM
"That sounds fine, uh... Dravick, right? I'll have to remember all your names sooner or later... just, please, do the talking. I'm not very good with things like that." Zan is all set to walk with Dravick into the temple, making sure that nothing outside has changed still.

Spot:
[roll0]

dual_wielder
2008-01-05, 11:38 PM
Surian Oron

Surian looks up at the roof, wondering how someone could gain access to such a high point.

Tell me the plan and I will help complete it to the best of my abilities.

rockdeworld
2008-01-06, 03:10 AM
((OOC: Assuming you were talking to Kyte, note that the wooden cover to the vent is only 8 ft. above the ground and on a wall, not on the roof.))

Kyte reconsidered, then offered an idea. "Try this: I will lift you up, so you can remove the wooden covering and crawl into the vent. Then I'll go around the back and enter through the service entrance. We'll infiltrate this building through two separate ways, and meet afterwards."

Kyte kneels down facing the wall below the vent, motioning for Surian to get on his shoulders.

Thymin
2008-01-06, 11:33 AM
Dravick:

"My name is Dravick, but for now, I think it will be easier if we pretend not to know each other too well. I have a story worked out that should be able to get us past the man standing outside the church entrance should he try to bar us entry. Just pretend that you're not from here, and that I offered you my service to get you to a church so that you could take care of some pressing matters between yourself and your god. Leave the rest of the talking to me." Dravick looks at the man standing guard at the church and tries to see if there's anything out of place about him. Then he motions to Zan to follow him and walks a bit away from the church while remaining in the shadows. When he is reasonably sure that the guard cannot notice him in the darkness he crosses the street and begins to walk casually and with a nothing to hide manner towards the church gesturing for Zan to follow him.

Rafe
2008-01-06, 11:33 AM
Aulric, human cleric

The bald priest listens to the plans and nods his approval. "Should Victor and I be needed, shout or send some other signal and we shall approach through the front." Turning to Victor, Aulric says, "I agree: I hope we shall not be needed, yet I hate to be left out of the fight, should there be one."

dual_wielder
2008-01-06, 11:47 AM
Surian Oron

Surian nods slowly at Kyte's simple yet seemingly effective plan. He stretches his legs to remove the growing stiffness as he answers Kyte.

Aye, I think that could work. Be careful though. I advise that you keep your weapon drawn at all times when inside the warehouse, and stick to the shadows at all times.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-06, 01:44 PM
The man standing at the door of the church sees Dravick coming and steps toward him, his right hand reaching into his cloak towards his left hip.

Man (in a tone less courteous than the words imply)
"I'm sorry, the church is closed; you'll have to come back later."

rockdeworld
2008-01-06, 03:40 PM
Kyte nods, and gestures with a shake of his head for Surian to hurry up. "Stand on my shoulders and I will lift you up." He says quietly.

((OOC: Just to save posting space, Dual_Wielder assume that when Surian gets on Kyte's shoulders Kyte immediately lifts him up to where he can reach the vent))

Thymin
2008-01-06, 06:18 PM
Dravick:

Dravick senses the danger and readies himself internally, but keeps his composure externally. Oh no, I forgot to remove my guild insignia. With a flourish and a bow, that concealed Dravick's removal of his Guild insignia he says in a bright voice and without breaking stride, "Good sir, I am but a guide to those not familiar with our fair city. Pray tell, when will the church be open again? My acquaintance has paid me to guide him to a church, and I would like to have this task done with here rather than having to lead him to the other side of town. You understand, I'm sure. I would very much appreciate it if you would allow this man in to do his worshiping so that I might make it home to my wife before she sends a search party out for me."

Diplomacy Check [roll0]

I hope that my story is persuasive, but if he intends to get physical, I'll be ready.

I edited the end of my post to coincide with the fact that it was slightly after midnight

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-06, 10:37 PM
Zan was not pleased with the man's tone, but his quiet nature keeps his thoughts internal, as to not shout. He did know that things may get physical if they aren't let in, and he hopes that it doesn't come down to that...

I hope Dravick knows what he's doing.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-07, 12:05 PM
Man at the Door
"It's closed - until dawn. Go find another church."

Rafe
2008-01-07, 01:45 PM
Aulric

The warrior priest watches the goings-on as best he can in the gloom, being unable to hear. However, the set of the guard's body indicates that Dravick is having less success than he had hoped.

Sense Motive to discern how the bluff is going: [roll0]
"Ready yourselves, friends... our time may be come..."

Thymin
2008-01-07, 04:06 PM
Dravick:

Hearing the response, Dravick knows that there's not much chance of getting into the church, but he's not going to give up that easily. I'll giv eit one more go. I've got to stay on my toes though he already seems as if he's had enough of us. Keeping a close eye on the man without betraying his skepticism of the man, Dravick begins once again starts to speak, "Until dawn?" He asks incredulously. "Surely my friend here might find some divine solace inside these walls for a few minutes without first ahving to wait for dawn. Honestly, it would be worth half my fare to me if you just let him seek his repentance here. If you would allow him to make his peace, I will gladly donate half of my fare to the church." Dravick smiles as brightly as he can in the darkness and hopes that his new appeal softens the man's demeanor, while preparing to react to any physical attack from the man.

1d20+8

Edit: Well I messed up the roll, but I don't even know if it's necessary.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-07, 10:20 PM
Zan looked to Dravick questioningly. Realizing the situation was going to get ugly, he stepped back and to the side, so he was near to Dravick but not within immediate stricking range of the guard, and also had a good line of sight with him. He didn't have anything much to add to the arguement, either... he wasn't that good with words.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-08, 03:19 AM
Aulric senses from the guard's body language that he does not really suspect the adventurers, but also that he is resolute in not allowing them into the church.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-08, 11:18 PM
Zan looked all confused.... he knew that this man would never let them in, but Dravick didn't attempt to do anything about it. At the same time, Zan didn't want to hurt the guy, there had to be something... something...
No spells. Not yet.. I have to give him another chance to let us in.

SithLackey
2008-01-08, 11:27 PM
Victor

Seeing the man stop his companions, Victor quietly nocks an arrow, but does not draw... Yet.

dual_wielder
2008-01-09, 05:32 PM
Surian Oron

Surian climbs quickly onto Kyte's shoulders and slips through the slit. He drops to the ground as quietly as he can, staying to the shadows and using his eyes and ears to take stock of his situation.

Move Silently:[roll0]
Hide:[roll1]
Spot:[roll2]
Listen:[roll3]
Search:[roll4]

rockdeworld
2008-01-09, 08:26 PM
((OOC: Actually, Bonecrusher doc said you need to make anothe Move Silently check when you remove the wooden boards over the vent.))
If Surian fails his Move Silently check, and the boards would fall to the ground or something, Kyte would make a (reflex?) save to catch them. Otherwise I'll continue with this post.
[roll0]
After Surian slips into the vent, Kyte moves around to the back of the building. He comes to the door, and tries silently to open it.
[roll1]
If the door is locked, Kyte tries to disable the lock. [roll2]

dual_wielder
2008-01-09, 08:59 PM
Move silently to remove the boards:[roll0]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-10, 05:34 PM
Dravick:

"Until dawn? Surely my friend here might find some divine solace inside these walls for a few minutes without first ahving to wait for dawn. Honestly, it would be worth half my fare to me if you just let him seek his repentance here. If you would allow him to make his peace, I will gladly donate half of my fare to the church."

Man at Door
"As far as I'm concerned, you and your friend can go to the lowest planes of hell before you get into this church tonight. Now get lost!" The man begins to draw a blade out from his cloak.

Meanwhile, Surian pries some slats out of the vent at the top of the warehouse wall with barely a squeak of the nails in the old wood. (EDIT:) Looking into the now man-sized hole at the top of the wall, he can barely see anything in the darkness below him, just vague large shapes, presumably the bales of textile material seen by the adventurers during the day. Surian throws a leg and arm up so he is holding himself in the gap he has made at the top of the wall. Kyte is then free to work on the back door, but he is unable to pick the lock.

rockdeworld
2008-01-10, 09:18 PM
Frowning, Kyte gives the lock another go.
[roll0]
Holy smokes that's a bad roll - a natural 1!

rockdeworld
2008-01-10, 09:20 PM
Kyte realizes he must have done even worse than the first time, and, still frowning, tries again.
[roll0]
This time Kyte is sure he has done it.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-10, 09:43 PM
The cleric's hands balled up into fists. He had tightened them to the point of almost shaking, and forced them to release. As he did, his right hand pointed at the man in an accusing manner.

"You are a disgrace to all that is good and honorable! Here we are, asking only for your hospitality, and you DARE tell us to go to the nine hells?"

Zan readied himself. He waited only for Dravick's actions.

Thymin
2008-01-10, 09:47 PM
Dravick:

As soon as Dravick sees the man begin to draw a weapon he takes a few steps back, attempting to stay out of range of a quick strike. Then he says, "What manner of church servant are you, that would threaten violence on the steps of a holy place?" Then narrowing his eyes he says in an entirely different and much more threatening tone, "My friend and I will enter this place now, if only to put an end to the evil deeds that you are concealing!"

Intimidate [roll0]

Then without a moment's delay he draws his longsword and prepares to fight the large man. As he does so he begins to sing in a voice loud enough for Zan to hear. His words are meant to inspire courage.
"Tonight, we fight,
to end the wrongs,
and make them right.

The evil ones,
shall not prevail,
and in their defeat,
we shall not fail.

The rest of the song fades into a general chorus about being great and winning the battle, with many repeated refrains and occasional derogatory remarks aimed at the large man in an attempt to cause him to make a mistake.

Initiative, if necessary [roll1]

Edit: just closing my second spoiler...

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-11, 06:46 AM
The man's tough expression falters slightly, and he shouts over his shoulder into the church, "Oy!" He assumes a trained fighting stance, moonlight shimmering along the keen edge of his short sword. Still, he is not as fast as the two adventurers, who make the first move.

Kyte manages to pop open the lock on the back door. Carefully looking inside, he sees the same thing as Surian - the interior is very dark, and all he can make out at this time are the silhouettes of the bales of fabric and raw materials.

Thymin
2008-01-11, 09:57 AM
Dravick:

Not sure if I act before Zan, but if not then my actions will be roughly the same, except I would flank the man if Zan attacks him first.

While continuing his song, Dravick steps towards the man and slashes at him.

Singing

...your evil ways,
shall come to an end,
and our resolve,
will never bend...

[roll0] if flanking it would be an additional +2 :smallbiggrin: or I can make a totally seperate roll for that if you want...

rockdeworld
2008-01-11, 10:20 AM
I hate when that happens. Very anti-climatic.
Kyte moves slowly into the room, quietly closing the door behind him. He allows a few seconds for his eyes to adjust to the darkness, then moves silently through the building, looking and listening for anything that would be out of place in a sewing guild. He looks especially for doors, stairs, or hallways with entrances down them, and listens for voices, or sounds in the darkened place.

Just for good measure, I'll do all of them :smalltongue:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Edit: Horrible! Horrible! What about the law of averages?!

Rafe
2008-01-11, 11:25 AM
Aulric

The priest hears Dravick and sees the sheen of weapons drawn. "Words have failed and now it seems we shall see how steel fares!" he says to Victor. Hefting his hammer and gripping his shield straps more tightly: "For Morrow!"

Initiative: [roll0]

SithLackey
2008-01-11, 03:20 PM
Victor

"Indeed."
First things first. [roll0]

SithLackey
2008-01-11, 03:35 PM
Victor
Init:22, HP:10, AC:16

Reacting even as the first steel is drawn, Victor springs into action, hoping to end this fight before it begins. He quickly moves forward and to the side of those at thegate, nocking an arrow as he does so. Reaching an acceptable angle, he pauses briefly to aim, then looses his shot and draws again.

Sorry for the double post, but... Yay for going first! (Unless the baddie rolls exceptionally well. In that case, ignore this post.)

I'll better explain what Victor's doing. He's taking his full 30ft. move to get to the side of the combat (to negate cover), and also to try to be within 30ft. of the large man. If he's close enough to do this, add another +1 to both of the rolls below for point blank shot. other than that, they're not in melee yet, so I shouldn't be taking that penalty, so...
[roll0]
[roll1]

rockdeworld
2008-01-11, 04:38 PM
I forgot this roll. Hope its not as bad as the others...
[roll0]
It was! :smallmad:

Rafe
2008-01-11, 05:12 PM
Aulric

Aulric covers the ground quickly and brings his hammer to bear on the guard.

Initiative: 20
Movement: 30 ft to cover the distance
Charge Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

AC: 14 (16 - 2 Charge penalty)
The priest grimaces as his weapon swings wide.

dual_wielder
2008-01-12, 12:04 AM
Surian Oron

Surian drops to the floor, trying to make as little noise as possible. He peers around the large warehouse, looking for any signs of life (be it Kyte or someone else). He starts moving to his right, sticking to the shadows and keeping his eyes and ears alert.

Move Silently:[roll1]
Listen:[roll2]
Search:[roll4]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-12, 07:15 AM
The only things Kyte and Surian find in the warehouse are bolts of linen, a bolt of silk, and large rolls of cotton and wool held together by twine. A wrinkled piece of canvas covers part of the floor. A chamber pot is in the corner, and a lantern hangs from a rafter near the large front barn-style doors.

The only thing they hear is the sound of the confrontation developing outside.

dual_wielder
2008-01-12, 09:58 AM
Surian Oron

Surian looks to Kyte with a frown, and notes the sounds of what seems to be a fight coming from outside.

Not much in here, my friend, and it sounds like our companions might need our help out there.

With that, Surian runs out the back door and around to the front of the warehouse, assessing the situation at the front of the church as quickly as he can.

I'll just get this out of the way now.
Initiative:[roll0]

rockdeworld
2008-01-12, 02:39 PM
Kyte, however, is not so easily convinced, and shakes his head. The group had a reason to suspect the weaver's guild for attacking them, he knew, and he wasn't going to be satisfied until he found everything there was to find in this warehouse.

Hearing the sounds of battle outside, Kyte realizes things must have gone badly for the church-entering group, but uses the distraction they provide to search around a bit more. Removing the distracting sounds of battle from his mind, he moves to the piece of canvas covering the floor, and pulls it out of the way.

If he finds nothing, he moves on to look behind anything else covering walls or floor, and goes up or down stairs if there are any.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-12, 09:46 PM
Initiative:
[roll1] (I'm very sorry Doc, but my character sheet won't load on this computer for whatever reason.. you may need to look up my strength bonus)
Damage: [roll2]

CRIT ROLL!
[Roll]1d20

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-12, 09:50 PM
CRIT ROLL!
[roll0]

Zan, appearing to be able to act before Dravick, gave up on the notion of a spell and ran at the guard, brandishing his scythe. He took a large swing....

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-12, 09:54 PM
((Please don't harm me. Double posts are bad, let alone triple posts. In my stupidity, I forgot that because of my critical threat, I should have rolled damage three more times.))

Extra Damage:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-13, 06:02 AM
Victor's arrow strikes the man in his right shoulder, throwing him off balance. Aulric swings and misses with his hammer, but Zan swings his scythe at the man's exposed abdomen and rips him open, guts spilling on the ground at his feet. The man stumbles one step backwards before falling, twitches once, then lies still on his side with unseeing eyes and breathless mouth wide open. Dravick steps forward cautiously and places the tip of his blade at the fallen man's throat, but no further action is necessary.

The other two men rush out of the church, take one look at the blood-sprayed and wrathful adventurers facing them, and take off running away as fast as their feet will carry them.

Bridgeport can be a pretty violent place in the rougher parts of town, but you may still want to do something with the body of this guy to avoid questions.

Kyte gropes around in the dark warehouse. Under the canvas he finds a metal ring in the floor. After further examination, he sees that there is a trap door which may be lifted up by the ring. The door is well built, such that it blends well with the surrounding floor and does not rattle if walked across. Lifting the door, he can barely make out the first rung of a ladder going down into complete darkness.

Thymin
2008-01-13, 10:01 AM
Dravick:

Seeing Zan cut the large man down so easily, Dravick wonders if he could've been so effective. Am I Adventurer material? That seemed so much easier for him than it would have been for me. Maybe it was luck, but... Oh well, my sword is not my best asset. It's my head. Oh, yeah, we've got to get this body out of the street.

"Well done, Zan. But now we must move this body somewhere. I think that the alley behind the warehouse may be just the place. What do you guys think? Whatever we do we should do it quickly, before a night watchman happens along. I think we should see what those other two were up to in the church as well."

dual_wielder
2008-01-13, 01:28 PM
Surian Oron

Surian smiles appreciatively as Zan easily cuts the man down. He draws his bow as the other two men begin their retreat, but thinks better of it. He runs up to the church and pats Zan on the back.

I will help carry the body if someone else will help. And I think Kyte may have stayed behind in the warehouse, so someone should check on him as well. I think we should split up so that we may search each building as quickly as possible.

Thymin
2008-01-13, 02:37 PM
Dravick:

"I agree. I'm going in the church, I need to know what those other guys were doing in there that was so important to keep us out."

Then Dravick enters the church, sword still in hand, ready for anything. He hopes...

Spot - [roll0]
Search - [roll1]
Listen - [roll2]

Rafe
2008-01-13, 02:58 PM
Aulric

The shaved warrior priest shakes his head. Truly my hammer-hand is out of practice, but at least one of us was up to the task, he thinks, nodding at Zan.

Aulric listens to Dravick and Surian. "I'll see to Kyte. If there is one guard, there may be more."

Search the guard for keys: [roll0]
The cleric searches the guard, looking specifically for keys to the guildhall and church.

If that crappy check roll should happen to find keys (like if they're on his belt or in a pouch), he'll try one on the guildhall to see if they're the right ones. The others he'll pass to Dravick in case they need access to the church.

SithLackey
2008-01-13, 03:31 PM
Victor

Victor can only stare as the seemingly timid Zan easily rips the man in half, then jerks himself back to reality and surveys the scene. "We may want to do something about all the blood. I doubt that this is the decoration Garl's priests really wanted for their temple." Then he turns to Surian. "Did you find nothing and no one in the warehouse?"

If someone has a prestidigitation spell available, that makes combat cleanup easy. :smalltongue:

rockdeworld
2008-01-13, 04:02 PM
-Meanwhile-

"Surian!" Kyte's whispered shout sounds almost loud in the dark warehouse, but upon receiving no answer, he looks around and finds that Surian is gone.

He went to join the fighting. Kyte thinks to himself. I have no choice, then.

Kyte climbs down the ladder, using as much caution as possible to maintain his own safety and silence. He also keeps his eyes open, looking for any lights as he heads to the bottom of the ladder.

Here's all the checks I assume you could possibly need...
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-13, 09:48 PM
The tip of Zan's scythe fell to the ground, the handle only being loosely grasped by the rather shocked cleric.

"Did.. I do that? Oh... oh Boccob...." He turned a little pale before violently shaking his head, Dravick's words reaching him. "R-right. I guess we should..."

Though he was shocked by the gruesome way in which the guard died, he knew it was for the best.. the man was evil. The reassurance from Surian and Aulric brought a slight smile across his face, and he felt a bit of comradery in the making. But now was no time to get all fussy over a bit of good luck; Zan had to continue his performance. He didn't want the others to be let down... so, he follwed Dravick into the church, doing his best to cover the blood on his weapon by putting it away.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-14, 12:03 PM
Kyte climbs down the ladder about ten feet until his feet touch rock at the bottom. He can not see anything in the darkness, and he does not hear anything either. The air around him is not damp, as one might expect underground, and is only slightly stale. More than anything else, he smells wool, the same smell as the bales of wool in the warehouse above.

__________________________________________________ ______

The interior of the church of Garl Glittergold might seem odd to one with no familarity of the sect. It is one large room, identical in shape to the warehouse next to it, and the wood is similarly rotting with little left of the peeling paint that once covered it. In stark contrast to the condition of the actual building, the church is decorated extravagantly. Four large engraved marble columns, only two of which match in style, have been installed in the four corners of the room. Exquisite tapestries depicting the Joker god are hung along the walls using cheap baler's twine. Four bronze statues of gnomes, about half of life-size, serve as the legs of an altar, the top of which is ivory inlaid with gold. Behind the altar is formidable-looking schronk made of bronze, the doors locked with three large padlocks. There are three or four dozen chairs in the room, in rows facing the altar, most of which are made of expensive woods, but they are mismatching and in poor condition, chipped and scratched and sometimes even broken. On the ground to the side of one chair lies a middle-aged male gnome, snoring, in an awkward position, as if he had fallen off the chair. He is dressed casually, as any working class gnome of Bridgeport might dress, but he has a light mace attached to a ring on his belt. Around his neck is a dirty hemp necklace, the strands of which are entertwined to hold a small gold nugget. A silver flask and two matching miniature mugs sit on another chair nearby.

A schronk is like a wardrobe.

rockdeworld
2008-01-14, 06:42 PM
After looking around the area, Kyte climbs back up the ladder, looking for a light. He remembers the lantern he saw earlier in his search, and takes it off the wall from which it hangs. Unable to light it though, he follows Surian's exit, first checking to see whether or not anyone is still out there.

As Kyte looks out, he sees a gashed-up soldier and Zan holding a bloody scythe, with the others in the group standing around. They all head inside the church, and Kyte follows, needing a light. Upon entering the church, he surveys the area, then moves to one of the candle-lights on the wall and takes it. On the way out, he passes the man Zan had apparently killed, and stops. He notices Aulric is searching the man, apparently without success, for something.

"Let me help you with that." Kyte says to Aulric. Kneeling down, Kyte gives the man a once-over, looking for anything important the man might have carried.

[roll0]

SithLackey
2008-01-14, 09:56 PM
Victor

After moving the body to behind some of the scrub in a nearby alley, Victor too enters the church. After glancing around, he moves towards the sleeping gnome and attempts to wake him. "Sir, are you alright?"

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-14, 10:05 PM
Zan took in the scenes from the church, and looked to Dravick. The sleeping gnome was what concerned him the most, so it's what he decided to inquire about.. whispering into Dravick's ear, of course.

"What do we do about him? Should we subdue him in some safe manner to make sure that he won't attack us, or take the chance and wake him up? Either way, we should contend with him before looking around."

In case Zan may have missed a detail, he does the standard examination.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Knowledge(Religion): [roll2]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-15, 01:53 AM
Victor is unable to wake the sleeping gnome.

Searching the dead man, Kyte finds the following:
-Traveler's clothing
-Short sword
-Belt pouch with: 6 cp, flint & steel

Zan looks around and listens carefully. There does not seem to be anyone heretofore unnoticed lurking somewhere in the church. All the decorations he sees are consistent with his knowledge of the worship of Garl Glittergold.

Rafe
2008-01-15, 12:38 PM
Aulric

Turning to Kyte, he says, "Did you find aught in the guildhouse? We've come this far"-- he gestures at the corpse at their feet --"we need to be certain the building has been searched as thoroughly as possible."

rockdeworld
2008-01-15, 12:58 PM
"Yes." Kyte answers, pocketing the pouch he finds. Lifting the short sword up from the man's body, he decides it is in fine enough condition, and takes its sheath as well. He sheathes the sword and slides it through his belt. "There was a covered trapdoor that leads somewhere underground. I came here because I needed a light, and I am going back there now. Come with me if you wish to see it - the building is empty for now."

Kyte stands, lantern dangling from one hand, lit candle in the other, and walks back to the weaver's guild, where he returns the lantern to its spot, and descends the ladder. He is careful to keep the candle stable, holding it so that any wax it drips does not fall on his hands. Upon reaching the bottom of the ladder, he once again surveys the now-lit underground area.

Rafe
2008-01-15, 02:00 PM
Aulric

The warrior cleric follows Kyte, watchful of his surroundings. Stepping down the ladder, he murmurs quiet prayers and the holy symbol at his neck warms with light until the basement can be seen clearly.

With a smile he notes, "That will aid our search and leave your hands free." Aulric now takes a look around.

Search: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-15, 03:47 PM
The underground chamber can now be seen clearly. It is actually little more than a short, wide tunnel, with a rock floor and wood beams along the walls and ceiling, presumably to brace against the dirt. Kyte and Aulric stand at one end of the tunnel, and there is another identical ladder at the other end of the tunnel, which, judging by the distance and direction, must lead to the church of Garl Glittergold.
Along the walls of the tunnel are bales of wool, some of which are opened into halves like sandwiches rather than tied together tightly. Lying on these open bales are bundles of small-sized javelins and morningstars.

I have just decreed that sandwiches shall have already been invented in this campaign world. Huzzah!

rockdeworld
2008-01-15, 07:24 PM
"The weaver's guild is stockpiling weapons." Kyte says offhandedly, his flat voice not even echoing off the tightly enclosed walls. He walks over to the other ladder and climbs it, intending to find out exactly where it goes. At the top of the ladder he opens the door above him and moves up into the church of Garl Glittergold.

Depending on where he's standing, different things might happen. I'll wait for a description before continuing.

Rafe
2008-01-15, 10:27 PM
Aulric

The priest nods, taking a closer look at the weapons. He notices their size and narrows his eyes, tucking this information away for later discussion. When Kyte moves to the far ladder, Aulric climbs the guild ladder, closes the hatch and replaces the canvas so signs of their entry were not as easily noticed. He leaves the guildhouse from the rear, making his way to the front of the church to Garl Glittergold.

Thymin
2008-01-16, 12:25 AM
Dravick:

Seeing that Victor is attempting to wake the gnome, Dravick will go examine the flask and miniature matching mugs.

Search - [roll0]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-16, 01:10 AM
Upon Dravick's examination, he finds the flask to still have some sort of liquid in it smelling strongly of alcohol, while the two cups are empty. There is nothing particularly remarkable about the flask or cups themself; they are without decoration.

What is remarkable is that just then, a small door pops open in one of the columns, in the corner of the church, and out steps Kyte! The door must have been cleverly concealed in the engravings of the column and the shadow of the corner.

SithLackey
2008-01-16, 06:46 AM
Victor

Victor gently lays the gnome back down, and then gives a little start as the door opens in the column. Seeing Kyte step out, he relaxes again. "How did you get in there?" he asks, furrowing his eyebrows."

Thymin
2008-01-16, 09:25 AM
Dravick:

After Kyte steps out Dravick examines the hidden door in the column and tries to discern if it can be opened from this side or only from the inside. Then after the has thoroughly examined the column he quietly walks to each of the other columns to see if he can find a similar hidden door in any of them. But before he can begin, he remembers the mess outside. This may take more then a few minutes, I wouldn't want a guard to be walking by and see the blood on the sidewalk while we're still inside. "Did you guys clean up the mess outside, and move the body?" With that he heads back to the doorway to see for himself.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-16, 10:45 AM
Zan was going to check the flasks next, but Dravick beat him to it. He stepped over to check out the wardrobe-like structure in the front of the church when Kyte appeared.

"Uh... hi. Where did you come from?

Spot check, Wardrobe
[roll0]

rockdeworld
2008-01-16, 10:50 AM
"There is a passage under the weaver's guild that leads here. If you aren't busy, come take a look. There are a stockpile of weapons there." Kyte answers all of them. He himself heads back down the passage - candle in hand - to retrieve the weapons stored there. After all Kyte thinks to himself, I see no reason for a weaver's guild to have weapons. If they are for an illegal purpose, we will be doing a favor removing them.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-16, 12:10 PM
In addition to looking for any creatures hiding on, under, or around the bronze schronk (he sees none), Zan looks closely at its workmanship.

Zan "takes 20" with Search skill.

It is made of solid bronze, the only open seams being two large doors. The bronze is etched with designs depicting Garl Glittergold as a jewelsmith. There are three pairs of handles on the doors, continuous with the bronze of the door itself, through which are three large steel padlocks. The hinges of the doors are set back within a groove in the bronze, such that one could not hammer loose the hinges with standard. bulky tools.

Dravick looks closely at the now-exposed mechanism of the door in the column.
Dravick "Takes 20" with Search skill.
He eventually finds a small button hidden in the swirling decorative patterns of the column which releases the catch to open the secret door from the church. Inside the column, a small handle is obvious on the door for someone standing on the ladder to open it. The door has wavy sides rather than being a perfect rectangle, thus concealing its seams better in the grooves of the column. Dravick finds no secret doors in the other columns.

Lying on those bales of wool which are opened, Kyte finds two bundles of six morningstars each and two bundles of twelve javelins each, all sized for small creatures' usage.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-16, 10:15 PM
Zan looked at the locks before turning around.
"Dravick, what did you find? Oh, and um.. I don't do locks."

rockdeworld
2008-01-16, 11:09 PM
Kyte sets down the candle so that it stands alone but stays lit, and turns to one of the tied-up bales of wool. Pulling out a short sword, Kyte cuts off two of the bindings used on one of the bales of wool.
I assume that short swords do actually have blades, and the reason they are mainly piercing weapons is only because stabbing is the strongest form of attack with such a short blade.
Surprised to find more weapons, Kyte does the same with the other bale. He then takes the bindings and uses one to tie together the four sets of morningstars - fashioning a sort of sling that he can use to hang the set across his back. He then does the same thing with the spears. Hefting the two sets of weapons onto his back in a sort of backpack, Kyte climbs back up the ladder with the small-sized weapons in tow.

Once at the top, Kyte hears Zan say something about not doing locks. Kyte walks over and sets down his medium load so as to inspect the wardrobe.
Kyte takes 20 on Search (+6), Spot (+4), and Listen (+4) to detect traps, flaws in craftmanship, magic qualities, or anything else unusual about the wardrobe.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-19, 09:36 AM
(In spoiler so Kyte's actions can be edited) There are two opened bales and two closed ones. When Kyte cuts the twine on one of the closed ones, he will find another bundle of 6 small morningstars and 12 small javelins. The same if he cuts open the last bale (which would make a total of 24 morningstars and 48 javelins, weighing a total of 110 lbs).
Kyte's checks don't reveal anything new about the schronk.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-19, 09:49 AM
Zan watched Kyte looking over the locked structure.

"If you think it's too much for you, then we could just break it down, or open. Of course, I'd assume picking it is the best way. Oh, and I think I know how to wake up the gnome...."

SithLackey
2008-01-19, 09:51 PM
Victor

"Well then, please do. I've a feeling it's not his custom to pass out in churches late at night. Especially not when armed friends just paid him a visit."

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-20, 12:18 AM
Zan nodded. "Fine. Here I go." He focused for a few seconds...

Zan uses "Create Water". I'm not sure if the gnome gets rolls, since he's asleep... and the water should hit splash on his face anyway. Wake up, Gnome!

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-20, 06:45 AM
The gnome makes some grumbling noises, and makes a half-hearted swat at his face, then goes back to snoring again, blowing small bubbles of drool in his beard. He does not seem to be taking an ordinary nap.

SithLackey
2008-01-20, 06:16 PM
Victor

"That's interesting. I've never seen anyone in so deep a slumber before. I wonder if magic has something to do with it..." He pauses thoughtfully for a second, then continues. "What should we do with him? I am loath to leave him here. He may have seen the men who broke in. Maybe we should bring him back to the guild until he comes to?"

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-20, 11:09 PM
Zan looked at the sleeping gnome, somwhat troubled.

"Wait one second... he isn't just napping. It's quite possible that he's either really, really drunk or that this is some sort of spell... we should probably try to take him somewhere safe.... who knows what info he could give us." Zan made sure the gnome was devoid of weapons, not knowing if anybody else checked...

Zan searches for weapons, or anything else that the gnome might have that poses a threat to the party.
[roll0]
There should also be a +2 on that....

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-21, 02:34 AM
Zan finds nothing dangerous except for a small light mace clipped to the sleeping gnome's belt.

Thymin
2008-01-21, 08:44 AM
Dravick:

"I think you're right, Zan. We should wake this man up and see what he has to tell us, but where do you propose that we should take him? And how do you think we should get him there?" Then noticing Kyte coming back out of the pillar with bundles of weapons, he says "and what are we going to do with all of that? I'll be outside making sure that everything is cleaned up."

Dravick goes outside seeing the blood still on the doorstep, he casts prestidigitation to clean up the mess.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-21, 03:09 PM
Zan unclipped the mace from the gnome and placed it within the large interior pouch of his robe. "Taking him someplace, well... any place but here. If there's somebody strong enough to carry him, that'd be nice. He'll wake up eventually, and when he does, we need him nearby." In case nobody else takes up the offer of carrying the gnome, Zan decides that he should have enough strength in him to do it.

dual_wielder
2008-01-21, 04:38 PM
Surian steps up and places the gnome over his shoulder with a smile.

There we go. Surian Oron at your service. Where shall I place this "slumbering" gnome?

SithLackey
2008-01-21, 05:34 PM
Victor

"Well, the only really safe place we have at our disposal is the guild, so I guess we should take him there."

rockdeworld
2008-01-21, 10:05 PM
Kyte says nothing until he finishes examining the schronk. After finishing, he turns to the rest of the group.

"I can find nothing strange about this wardrobe." He announces dully. "As for these weapons, I will naturally take them back to the guild." And sell them. Lankin shouldn't mind. "It appears the weaver's guild is bringing in weapons disguised as bundles of wool. Since you suspect the weaver's guild of attacking you, these weapons make good evidence for that case, and we will hold them until the guild is proven innocent."

Someone could point out that guilds have a right to defend themselves, hence the weapons - even if they were in disguise. Kyte will still decide to take them though.

Turning back to the schronk, Kyte continues.

"If you wish, I will open this wardrobe so that you may inspect its contents. However, your previous battle outside has possibly attracted attention, and we should make haste with whatever decision you make."

SithLackey
2008-01-21, 10:12 PM
Victor

"I don't think we have anything to fear from the church just yet, although we may if those men were honestly meeting with this gnome here. But I doubt very much we'll have any trouble, that man didn't get a chance to say much of anything before his innards were forcibly removed all over the flagstones." He briefly glances over at Dravick, and notes that the mess is finally clear. "Ah, yes, thank you Dravick."

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-21, 10:15 PM
"Wha.... all the way back there? ... Uh.... We can't just bail out yet... and we'll have to carry him the entire time we're here. Maybe a shorter term place to set him and keep him safe?"

Thymin
2008-01-21, 11:55 PM
Dravick:

Dravick smiles at Zan's idea. "I know of no such place, my friend. I fear that we shall have to bring him back to the guild house if his safety is our main concern. However, if our concern is more that we find out the information we need without him necessarily knowing our identities, then there are a number of shady bars that we could adjourn to. I'm not sure what to make of it all just yet. It's possible that there are members of the church of Garl Glittergold that are in cahoots with the weavers guild..." He trails off, and seems to be thinking for a minute. "I welcome any ideas."

rockdeworld
2008-01-22, 02:05 PM
Kyte takes the flow of conversation as confirmation for his opening up of the wardrobe, and - pulling out his masterwork thief's tools - he sets to work on opening the lock.

Take 20 on the open lock (+9) if I can, otherwise...
[roll0]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-22, 04:15 PM
Kyte takes a good while, but try as he might, he is unable to pick any of the three locks on the bronze schronk.

Rafe
2008-01-22, 05:28 PM
Aulric

Aulric, after having sealed the hatch and re-set the canvas over the floor, makes his way into the Church of Garl Glittergold. Seeing that there is little he can help with, he keeps an eye on the entrance.

Listen: [roll1]

SithLackey
2008-01-22, 06:23 PM
Victor

"I've no talent for interrogation, and I doubt it would be hard for him to connect us with the guild no matter where he wakes up, so we may as well head straight to the guild. We've got as good a chance as any to find out what he knows there, seems to me.

Kyte, if you can't get that open we'd best be going." On the chance that no one has any objections, Victor picks up some of the weapons and heads for the door. If there are any, I'll edit that last bit out.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-23, 12:21 AM
Aulric sees/hears nothing suspicious.

rockdeworld
2008-01-23, 01:58 AM
There's no other weapons besides the ones at Kyte's feet (i.e. the ones he had slewn over his back), and those are all bundled together.

Kyte narrows his eyes at the wardrobe before him as if to further discern what secrets it held just by looking at it. Despite his best efforts and skills, its doors remain locked. What hides behind these doors that I cannot open them? Kyte wonders to himself, then turns away from the schronk. Kyte pulls out his shortbow and sets it to the side. Then he picks up the host of small weapons at his feet and loads them onto his back, shouldering the slight strain of what is, for him, a medium-weight load.

Kyte picks up his bow and draws an arrow from its quiver on his back. He nocks the arrow, but does not draw the string. After finishing the careful placement and rising to his feet, Kyte looks around at the group.

"Let us be going then." He says bluntly, following Victor out the door.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-23, 06:56 PM
Zan had to smile at Kyte's affirming, if dead tone.

"Welcome back. We've been saying that for the past few minutes. So I guess we go back." Indeed, he's ready to return to the guild, still carrying the gnome's mace.

I wish I could remember why I am doing this. Will this bring me any closer to them?

Thymin
2008-01-26, 01:00 AM
Dravick:

Seeing that everything seemed to be wrapped up, Dravick decides to take point again, and will lead the way back to the guildhall. "Okay guys, if we're all ready to go, I can lead us back."

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-26, 07:55 AM
The adventurers, having carefully removed evidence of their presence in the Docks, proceed back to the guildhall, carrying the weapons they have discovered - and a bound, sleeping gnome. Upon arrival they wake a sleepy Father Eldon, who determines that the gnome is in no danger, but believes he has consumed some sort of sleeping draught and should wake in a few hours. The adventurers take advantage of that time to catch some sleep themselves until sunrise. The next morning, they assemble in the Common Room with the three guild officers. Their captive is still asleep, though it appears to be more a natural sleep than the stupor he was in earlier, and Bil agrees to guard him upstairs until the team asks for him to be wakened.

Bruce
"So, what did you discover last night? Any sign of the Weaver's Guild up to no good?

Lankin
"Yes, and what were all those weapons you were carrying in last night?"

Ana places bowls of hot barley cereal and wooden spoons in front of each adventurer, along with a small jar of honey at each table.

rockdeworld
2008-01-26, 11:21 AM
I just want to make clear that Kyte would have tried to sell off the weapons before going to bed - leave no loose ends, you know.
---The Night Before---
Before leaving the church of Garl Glittergold, Kyte suddenly remembers the underground area. He drops the weapons and dashes down the ladder to grab the candle he had left on the floor - now substantially lower than it was when he left it - and returns it to its proper place in the church. He makes sure the door to the underground passage is also firmly shut (and looks for any telltales, and returns them to their places if there are).

[roll0]
Kyte then gathers up his things and leaves with the rest of the group, following closely. If asked about his actions, he replies with something to the effect of not leaving any trace of the group's presence.

After returning to the Adventurer's Hall, Kyte meets with Lankin before taking his rest, bringing the cache of small weapons he found in the underground passage for sale to the merchant.

{table]Small Item | Quantity | Value | Price* | Total (supposedly)
Javelin | 48 | 1 gp | .5 gp | 24 gp
Morningstar | 24 | 8 gp | 4 gp | 96 gp + 24 = 120 gp[/table]
*Supposedly Adventurers can only sell goods for half the price they are worth, hence this. Maybe Lankin will buy them for full price though ^_^ (j/k - in my dreams...)
Take 10 on the appraise (+2) check, since these are common items, that means Kyte automatically makes the DC 12.
[roll1] - Maybe Lankin will buy them for full price?
---The Next Morning---
Kyte takes quickly and easily to the food awaiting him, preferring to allow Dravick or one of the others to do the talking, as they know more than he does about the situation. He listens in, though, in order to catch anything he doesn't already know.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-26, 03:57 PM
Before the adventurers can answer, there is a knock at the door. Father Eldon answers it and speaks with the person for a moment. Eldon then carries a folded and sealed paper into the room to Aulric, who opens it and reads for a moment. Aulric then stands, and his usual formal manner of speech, announces his sad news.

Aulric
"My friends, I'm afraid I must be leaving you rather urgently, even in this turbulent time. I have been called upon to replace another cleric of my faith who has tragically been killed, and I must lead his now-shepherdless flock. Guildmaster Bruce, I will send you my new address as soon as I can, and all of you can count on me for any help I can give you without deserting my new post. Here is my guild pin and adventuring gold." He gives them to Lankin.

Bruce (standing up, speaking solemnly)
"We can not ask you to desert your church Aulric. But please send word when you may, and know that you are always welcome for a few free ales in this guildhall."

Aulric nods, shakes everyone's hand in turn, then hurriedly gathers all his possessions and leaves with the messenger. Everyone returns to their seats. Bruce shakes his head.

"These are dark times indeed, for a good pastor to be killed suddenly. I fear that something sinister is brewing and about to boil over on our unsuspecting land. All the more reason for us to keep our eyes and ears open. Now then, let us discuss last night."

The adventurers tell him of all that transpired, and how they found the weapons wrapped in bales of wool in the secret tunnel.

"That is strange indeed - the very church Elga attends, and you as well, Lankin! What do you think it means?"

Lankin
"Ah... I have no idea about armed men and secret tunnels, but I believe I may be able to shed some small light here. I have not yet seen the gentleman you brought in last night, but from your description he sounds like Rufus, who guards the church at night. I believe that is his mace you have there. He likes a drink now and then, but I don't know why he was in such a deep stupor. At any rate, we'll have to explain his being brought here somehow - he'll be quite distressed when he wakes in a strange building, most likely with Bil pointing a crossbow at him, while the church goes unguarded! Though I can't imagine anyone being able to steal the sacred implements since we got that huge bronze reliquary - it's practically theft-proof - the cleric will still be distressed if he arrives at the church later this morning, as he usually does, and Rufus is not there protecting the church from vandals."

SithLackey
2008-01-26, 07:28 PM
Victor

"Very well, Aulric. I am saddened by this death, and understand your needs. I wish you a far better fate than your predecessor." Then Victor turns to the others, and considers their words. "Well, with armed men creeping about, it did not seem like the best idea to leave him there. Besides, he may have seen something. It does seem strange that the Weavers' Guild would be stockpiling weapons, especially of such small size. Do the have an unusual number of small people, as well?" Victor waits for the sleeping gnome to wake.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-26, 07:41 PM
Eldon
Hm... the Weaver's Guild does have a sizable number of halflings, but they are mostly older women whom I can't picture wielding a weapon. Most of the younger members are humans. The followers of Garl Glittergold, on the other hand, are mostly gnomes, so the weapons would be the right size for them."

SithLackey
2008-01-26, 09:46 PM
Victor

"well then, we are most likely either mistaken in suspecting the weaver's guild, or mistaken in trusting the Garl's congregation, and neither one's a good thing. Hopefully this gnome will be able to put our fears to rest, though."

Thymin
2008-01-26, 10:15 PM
Dravick:

Upon hearing the news of Aulric's departure, Dravick is saddened. "Godspeed, my friend, and good luck to you in your new post. Keep a wayward eye over your shoulder so that you do not meet a similar fate, and please remember that we are here for you should you need anything at all."

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-26, 10:21 PM
Zan had woken up with the rest of them, and was sipping from a freshly filled flask to help buzz him a little to wake him up. It was only until the news of Aulric's departure that he tilted his head up to look at the dwarf.

"I had always wanted to get to know him... maybe he had known Thaghor.. I guess I'll never find out, now." Zan looked out to the rest of the hall.

"When are we waking the gnome up?"

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-27, 03:28 PM
Eldon
We should wake him up soon, but whoever wakes him better have a plan for what to tell him when he opens his eyes in the Adventurer's Guild. Any volunteers?

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-27, 09:43 PM
The quiet human cleric was a bit of a thinker, whether he was right or wrong was an accepted consequence, but it was nice to throw things out regardless.

"We can't or should not delude the gnome into thinking that he's here for some sort of party... perhaps its best to be straightforwards and say 'You are here at this guild.' We wouldn't mean harm to him or anything, but we'll make it clear we want information."

Thymin
2008-01-27, 09:53 PM
Dravick:

Thinking it over, Dravick realizes that he should be the one to talk to him. As the groups bard, he should be able to diplomatically convey the situation to the gnome. The only problem he had was, what he was going to tell him. "I will wake the gnome, and talk with him. But I'm not sure what I should say. I think it should be mostly truthful, but I do not think we should tell him what brought us to the church that night, nor what fate befell the man at the hands of Zan. Maybe, I could tell him a similar story to the one I used to try to get Zan and I into the church. That I was escorting Zan to the church because he just got into town, and had need to make peace with his god, or something. And that when we arrived we found the church empty and the gnome unconscious. What do you guys think of that?"

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-28, 06:50 PM
Zan rubbed the back of his head, a nervous look on his face.

"I just... want to forget what I did there. And at any rate, maybe it would be better just to leave it out. Maybe they were fri-..."

He bit his tongue before continuing.

"I want to go in the room with you. If what you tell him involves me, maybe my being there can help confirm it."

SithLackey
2008-01-28, 07:15 PM
Victor

Victor considers his companions' words, and then adds his own. "I can see no major fault in your plan, but I would like to tell him at least most of the truth, eventually."

rockdeworld
2008-01-28, 10:20 PM
Aw, and I wanted to volunteer, but now I've lost my chance. Oh well, Kyte has other matters to attend to, I suppose :P
Kyte looks over from the breakfast table, glancing at the group and then at the top of the stairs.

They might want to hurry then, before the gnome wakes up. Kyte thinks to himself. Else I imagine it will not go as smoothly as they hope. Turning back to his food, Kyte resumes his previous consuming of his meal.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-29, 02:24 PM
There is the sounds of raised voices upstairs briefly, than a moment later Bil poked his head into the Common Room.

Bil
"Beg'n yer pardon, but I tol' him to address all questions to you gentle folk."

A very confused-looking and bleary-eyed gnome pushes past Bil (as much as a gnome can push past a human) and stops abruptly at the entrance to the Common Room. His voice crack as he speaks. He seems to be on the verge of panic.

Rufus
"Could someone please tell me how I got here, and what is going on!"

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-29, 06:08 PM
Zan decided to stand up immediately, though at a slow pace, to help address the gnome's questions first.

If needed, I'll make a diplomacy check just for.. random stuff.
[roll0]

"Excuse me...." The cleric addresses Rufus. "We found you in a heavy slumber, and... well, it didn't seem natural for the extensive measures we tried to wake you. Um..." He tried to look for anything else to say. "I'll answer any question you'd like honestly, but...." He looks around for one of the others to continue for him.

Thymin
2008-01-29, 07:17 PM
Dravick:

Attempting to jump in for Zan, Dravick says, "Please excuse my friend here, he's not very good with words. My name is Dravick. Last night we were in the area of the church of Garl Glittergold, and we saw some suspicious looking men enter your church. We thought it looked very suspicious and when we attempted to enter the one may tried to bar us from the building. A bit of a verbal altercation ensued, and to make a long story short we must've scared them away. We found the whole thing a bit suspicious and decided to come into the church to investigate. It was at this point that we found you unconscious on the floor. We attempted to wake you fearing that the men had meant you harm, but to no avail. We decided that it order to provide for your safety, we would bring you back here, to our guildhouse. We do not intend to keep you here against your will, but we would appreciate it if your could tell us anything about the intruders. If you have any questions for us, we will try to answer them as best we can."

Diplomacy check-[roll0]
and if necessary for his response;
Gather Information - [roll1]
Sense Motive - [roll2]

rockdeworld
2008-01-29, 10:50 PM
Zan got a natural 20 on his diplomacy! Nice :smallwink:
Kyte continues eating his food and says nothing.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-30, 02:18 AM
Rufus

"Oh... you see, I don't remember anything from last night after I got to the church... except... I think I remember having a drink with someone... the CHURCH! I have to get back, quickly, before the cleric comes this morning! Could someone please point me in the right direction?"

Lankin gets up and walks Rufus to the front door. As he gives him directions back to the Docks district, another person shows up, a lean and wiry man walking from the street up to Lankin and Rufus. They exchange a few words, and Lankin leans back to call into the Common Room.

Lankin
"Any last words for Rufus before he runs back to work? Hangover advice, perhaps? If not, I'll let him go and you can meet Aulric's replacement here; this young man says he's interested in joining the Adventurer's Guild."

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-30, 09:11 AM
twenties kinda like me, it seems.

Zan watched Rufus walk to the door. He was sure that the gnome was telling the truth, and didn't want to investigate further. But.... "Wait!" He walked after Rufus and took out the mace that Rufus had been wearing. "I believe this is yours."

rockdeworld
2008-01-30, 10:42 AM
Kyte glances towards the top of the stairs again, remembering the small stockpile of small weapons he left in his room. However, he continues eating his food and says nothing.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-30, 11:47 AM
Zan watched Rufus walk to the door. He was sure that the gnome was telling the truth, and didn't want to investigate further. But.... "Wait!" He walked after Rufus and took out the mace that Rufus had been wearing. "I believe this is yours."

Rufus
"Thanks!"

He grabs the mace and takes off running.
Bruce and Eldon rise to meet the newcomer.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-30, 03:40 PM
Zan nodded, somewhat pleased that returning the gnome's possession to him had gone so well. Still, he thought through the previous events and realized that, to him, they had accomplished nothing. He got away from the door so the new member of team badger could arrive, and returned to the table.

While he's making his way towards the table, I'll make a spot check for Kyte's possibly suspicious (to Zan) glance.
[roll0]

Thymin
2008-01-30, 04:12 PM
Dravick:

Aulric's replacement. It's still a little weird that he had to go so suddenly. I hope his replacement is as good of a fit with the team.

Zurpl
2008-01-30, 07:37 PM
Inagu:

"Salutations to you. Rufus said I should meet with you ((Bruce and Eldon)) before announcing myself to the rest of the party. But it seems I've already ruined that."

With cheery disposition, Inagu reveals himself to be the proposed alternate member of Team Badger. His solemn brown eyes denote the sense of duty he has towards his imminent adventure yet also the joy of the ability to exercise his years of training. His clothing, of the same brown motif, like that of most monks is simple. He carries little else besides his sleek black leather snake-skin sling, a couple of pouches, and a few other essentials such as clothing which, he has been told, really bring out his eyes: light shoes to protect his feet; a headband to keep the sweat from his eyes; wrist bands. He has a definite purpose.

He goes on to request a formal introduction to the rest of the people who are present.

1d20-1

While waiting for a response (from either Bruce or Eldon) he quickly evaluates the mannerisms and dispositions.

[roll1]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-31, 01:48 AM
Lankin (standing behind Inagu)
"You mean Lankin. I'm the guild quartermaster. Rufus was the gnome I was talking to. Yes, I know, we're both short."

Bruce
"Now Lankin, he didn't mean anything by it. Well met man, I'm Bruce, the guildmaster, and this is Eldon, our senior cleric." (Bruce winks at Eldon as he emphasizes the word "senior," and Eldon rolls his eyes.

Eldon
"Come on back to the library with us for just a moment for your interview, then you can get back to meeting your teammates."

The three officers go to the library with Inagu, where they determine that he seems to be genuinely interested in joing the guild without ulterior motive, and they present him with his contract and guild pin, should he decide to sign the contract.

Other characters may now say what they want outside of Inagu's hearing. I know Inagu did a Sense Motive check but I can't tell you what all the other characters are thinking.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-31, 01:36 PM
Zan swigs the last drop from his flask.

"He talks fairly fancy. It sounds weird... has anybody here ever heard a dialect like that?"

One must remember that Zan has a natural connection with dwarves and, though he never knew Aulric that well, might be sore about his leaving.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-02-01, 02:08 PM
The adventurers mutter amongst themselves for a few moments, disappointed by Aulric's sudden departure, until Inagu and the officers return. Inagu is now wearing a guild pin.

Bruce
"Team, meet your new member! I took the liberty of informing him of the events of the past few days around here, so now I'd like to get back to our meeting. Now then, we know that someone is storing weapons in a tunnel under a Weavers' Guild warehouse and the church of Garl Glittergold. The weapons are stored in bales of wool, undoubtely from the Weaver's Guild, and the people involved in this are accessing the tunnel through the church. I can't believe that the cleric or the congregation of the church know about this - I mean, the congregation includes Lankin and Elga! So I suspect that Rufus was drugged. But what would be the purpose of storing those weapons there?"

Lankin
"Those two buildings were actually twin warehouses once, you know. The Weaver's Guild sold one of them to the clerics of Garl Glittergold not long after the current Doge came to power. A lot of businesses were relocating to New East Bridgeport then. That was also about the same time as when our church began gaining many non-gnome members."

Eldon
"I suppose we still don't know if this has any connection to the little welcome present we received."

Thymin
2008-02-01, 03:26 PM
Dravick:

"Well met, Inagu. Welcome to the Guild. My name is Dravick." Dravick extends his hand in greeting. Then, speaking to the group as a whole, he says, "I think we have discovered something very weird going on with the weavers guild, but that doesn't mean that they were responsible for giving us the 'gift.'"

MK Kilmarnock
2008-02-01, 03:56 PM
"...."

Zan looked at his hand to make sure it was clean, then extened it to Inagu. However, he got confused when he heard something about a "gift" from Dravick.

"Wait... the weaver's guild may have given you guys a gift? And this is a problem because?"

Of course, he wasn't present during the explosion.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-02-01, 04:09 PM
Brelgan pops his head around the corner from where he was eavesdropping.

Brelgan
"Yes, we got a gift, but it wasn't a nice gift. Some lady gave it to me and I brought it in the hall, but when Guildman Dravick opened it it exploded, an' it burnt me a little bit but I was OK, but it almost killed him!

Bruce frowns at Brelgan and jerks a thumb in the direction of the stairs to his room. Brelgan's head sags a little bit but he retreats from the doorway, and the adventurers can then here him scrambling up the stairs.

Thymin
2008-02-01, 04:24 PM
Dravick:

Oh, right, we haven't told Zan and Kyte about our (well, my) mishap...

"Sorry about that Zan, in the excitement we never told you why we were investigating the Weaver's Guild in the first place. You see an old lady brought a "gift" and gave it to Brelgan for the guild. He brought it in and I opened it a bit too hastily. It turned out to be a bomb."

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-02-01, 04:27 PM
Bruce
"Yes, and though we don't have any real evidence tying the Weavers' Guild to the package, they were the most vehemently opposed to the creation of the Adventurers Guild. Sometimes I thought we were going to come to blows right there in the Council of Guilds. So I suggested the team check out their warehouse by the docks."

MK Kilmarnock
2008-02-01, 05:47 PM
"A bomb!?"

The cleric stood there in shock. "I am hard pressed to think of a more cowardly way to kill anybody! But now I do see why we're investigating... if I had known that, then maybe I would have suggested us keeping the gnome just a little longer... see what he knew."

rockdeworld
2008-02-01, 09:53 PM
"A bomb..." Kyte says, the first thing he has said aloud all morning. He turns on his chair to face the group, leaving an empty plate and goblet behind him. His flat voice fills the now-empty space. "An ingenious way to kill someone... But apparently it wasn't very effective." During the last part of his statement Kyte turns his head to look at Dravick, who, despite being singed a bit, is still very much alive and well.

"There is no evidence the weaver's guild was connected to the attack, besides motive. Unless they were preparing for war, though, they had an unusual number of gnome-sized weapons concealed in their basement. Why?" He looks to Bruce, his deep, empty eyes absorbing the guild leader's own. "We should ask the leader."

MK Kilmarnock
2008-02-01, 11:07 PM
"Kyte.... this is besides the point you were trying to make, but..." Zan found that seldom talking to Kyte made conversation difficult. He tried to think of anything to say. After all, he had to get closer to his team.... but he got stuck.

"Um.... actually, never mind."

Zurpl
2008-02-02, 01:29 AM
Inagu:

"Bombs sent by other guilds to start a war?! What kind of crazy town is this?! Why would they even commit such an atrocity?! These are all potentially valid conclusions but I believe we should, before jumping to any more of these rather wild conclusions, do as the rogue suggested (sorry I still don't know everyone's name) and ask the leader first. But wait...."

Zan's withdrawal troubles Inagu. He has a compulsion to attain the knowledge and insight that he tried to keep specifically from only Kyte but also has done the same to the rest of the group. Also feeling particularly accepted into this group, unlike in most other social situations, decides to affirm Zan's desire to state his opinion. He looks at the cleric with bewildered curiosity.

"...Zan, right? What were you going to say?"

MK Kilmarnock
2008-02-02, 11:37 AM
Zan turned around to face Inagu, unaware that the monk had been listening. Positioning himself back so he could look at both Inagu and Kyte, the cleric cleared his throat. "I was... just going to ask about what happened to all the weapons we found in the guild. That's all... and what everybody likes to read. It was a random thought that popped into my head."

Zurpl
2008-02-02, 08:10 PM
Inagu:

Filled with an excitement at an opportunity to reveal some information about himself, Inagu answers with the following:

"Peculiar that you should ask that question. I am simply in love with books. I like to read a variety of genres. Seeing as how I've had to transcribe some 234 of them I've come across my fair share. But for the most part, I don't really enjoy readings such as those of Marcus the Faux. He's too superficial for my tastes. Also when he..."

The monk goes on for a good five-fourths ((Yeah, I'm that cool.:smallcool:)) of a minute before realizing that he's been blabbering on and on. He shakes his head as if to scatter the Loquacious aura from around his head. "In short, it would be too lengthy a process listing all the books I've read and particularly enjoy."

Thymin
2008-02-03, 12:00 PM
Dravick:

"I'm not really sure what we're going to do with the weapons." He turns to Kyte and asks, "What did you do with the weapons anyway?" Thinking some more about the issue, he then says, "I think we should keep checking on the intentions of the Weavers because they are definitely up to something. But maybe we should see if there are any other leads too."

rockdeworld
2008-02-03, 01:03 PM
Did you know that Sense Motive takes a full minute to do when not being bluffed? That means that, although Inagu talks a lot now, when he first came in and after being introduced to the group, he proceeded to stand still for a full minute while looking around the room, trying to get a feel for the atmosphere. In other words, it makes him a very perceptive character... And Kyte's mortal enemy :smallwink:
Also, 3 different people asked Kyte what he did with the weapons, making a sort of time lapse where Kyte appears to go outside of time until after everyone else is done speaking, rather than actually exist :smalltongue: That's what happens when you don't wait on characters to answer... So I'm going to fix that and hope that Thymin and Zurpl edit their posts.
"I left them upstairs." Kyte answers shortly when Zan asks him. He then falls silent as Inagu goes on about what he sees as trivial things.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-02-03, 01:24 PM
Zan closed his eyes, listening to Dravick. However, he turned back to Kyte.

"I asked you a second question. I asked about what you like to read."

dual_wielder
2008-02-03, 04:01 PM
Surian comes out of a deep trance, nearly falling backwards out of his chair. The fast-paced goings on seem to have overwhelmed him slightly, but his eyes re-focus and he turns his head sharply towards the newcomer. He stands, and extends his hand warmly to the monk.

So sorry for my rudeness friend. My name is Surian Oron, the pathfinder for this group. Although I am sad to see my friend Aulric leave before we could stand together against the perpetrators of the foul crime committed against us, I am glad that such a worthy man could replace him. I shall value your life as my own.

Surian sits back down and lays his head in his hands, reviewing all of the information he had taken in the previous night. He looks back up and speaks to the group at large,"The gnome sized weapons indicate the church's involvment, but since Lankin vouches for its innocence, I choose to believe it. Nonetheless, I feel that another visit to the church of Garl Glittergold might help clear a few matters up. That is simply my opinion on the matter.

rockdeworld
2008-02-03, 04:37 PM
Kyte shrugs in answer to Zan's question, and - hands crossed on his chest and leaning back against the counter from his standing position - refocuses on the conversation now taking place between Surian and Inagu.

SithLackey
2008-02-03, 06:10 PM
Victor

Victor nods to the newcomer as he finishes his breakfast. "Name's Victor. I'm something of a horseman and an archer, and... that's it, really." He spends a moment considering the others' questions. "Well, other than the weapons and those men at the church we don't have much to go on, really, so the church seems as good a place as any to continue. I'd prefer we held onto the weapons until we're absolutely sure they were to be used for illegal purposes."

MK Kilmarnock
2008-02-03, 06:53 PM
Zan glared at Kyte for his insolence, before looking at Inagu again and managing to calm himself down. "I'm sorry.... if I failed to introduce myself before, my name is Zan Morseworth. As I've mentioned, I tend to read most of the time...." or drink... "I also agree with Victor about holding onto the weapons... but I really wish we didn't have to go back to the church."

Thymin
2008-02-04, 08:47 AM
Dravick:

Dravick thinks about it and realizes that they would have to go back to the church, but he doesn't expect to find out much else. But where else could they go? Walk right up to the weaver's guild and start making accusations? "I think we must return to the church to try to find out more about what's going on, I just hope that the trail hasn't gone cold. Maybe we should go in daylight this time and see if the sun doesn't give us a bit of a different perspective."

MK Kilmarnock
2008-02-04, 10:53 AM
Zan put a hand over his eyes.

"I guess we have no choice, then. As long as we can get through without killing anybody this time."

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-02-04, 12:37 PM
Bruce is still thinking with his eyebrows knit, even as the adventurers seem to be arriving at a consensus...

Bruce
"The Weavers' Guild would not be preparing for war themselves. But it does stand to reason that, the weapons being wrapped in their wool, that at least a part of the Weavers' Guild is involved in supplying weapons to somebody and that they don't want it to be public knowledge. Begging your pardon, Father Eldon, but I think it more likely that the weapons would be going to halflings than gnomes. Gnomes are a prosperous group in Bridgeport these days; if anyone is discontent it is more likely the halflings.

Eldon
"I agree with you that the gnomes are an unlikely rebellion, Bruce - they seem to be steadily gaining political power without any need for violence - and there is actually a small halfling movement for the independence of West Bridgeport, but everything I have ever heard of them has been nonviolent. And I can't imagine what the Weavers' Guild would stand to benefit from a split of East and West - many halfling women cross the Bridge every day to work as Weavers in East Bridgeport workshops. Perhaps the weapons are some sort of "protection" payment to bandits or pirates who threaten their supply of raw materials... but anyway, I agree that observing the church is as good a way as any to collect information. Perhaps the adventurers could go with Lankin and Elga tomorrow to the religious service, to avoid attracting attention.

Bruce
"Hmm, good idea. If that's alright with you, Lankin."

Lankin shrugs apathetically.
Lankin
"Whatever they want to do." He nods toward the adventurers.

Zurpl
2008-02-04, 12:55 PM
Inagu:

"Well then, it looks like we will leave in the morning. What should we do in the meanwhile between now and then, besides sleeping, of course, for those of us who do."

I think it may be time for a "Early the next morning..." type of thing move along time between now and when we leave for the church in the morning (like Haley did), unless that's a DM decision.