PDA

View Full Version : Adventurers' Guild Team Cougar IC

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Thanatos 51-50
2008-05-26, 03:33 AM
Shiela

The fighter follows Darla aboard the Sampo.
"Shiela Tailor, fighter," she says sharply, standing at a sort of sloppy facsimile of attention and offers an equally sloppy salute to the watch standers on deck.
"This is Darla, fisherwoman." Tailor pauses for a moment before continuing.
"Request permission to board your fine vessel?" She finally croaks out awkwardly.

Assuming permission is granted, she helps Darla up the ropes and follows.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-26, 04:34 AM
Darla declines assistance and scampers up the rope ladder with ease.
The gnome with the mustache nods politely at each nicety spoken by the adventurers. Once all are aboard, with only Woetjans and his sailors remaining on the Sampo, he speaks again.

Gnome
"Please tell me your business with the Patriarch."

A half dozen gnomes with cutlasses in their sashes gather around. They don't look hostile, but they don't like they are there simply out of curiosity either. There is at least a score of other gnomes on the ship, in the rigging and on deck, and doubtless others below.

Daryk
2008-05-26, 08:05 AM
Marko

"As I said, our Guildmaster sent us to deliver a message. My compatriots here have the details," Marko said, geturing toward Team Cougar.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-26, 08:41 AM
Gnome
I'm not sure you know much about diplomacy, my friend, but generally discussions take place between equals. So I would expect at the very least that your guildmaster himself deliver the message. And why board our ship at sea, when you could just wait for us to sail a few more miles to port. I'm beginning to suspect your motives, and you'll have to give me a little more information than just that you have a 'message' and that-"

Fortugeld
"Thank you, Bosun, for welcoming our guests aboard."

A somewhat elderly gnome with white hair and beard steps in front of the bosun. He is dressed in maroon and gold clerical robes, his head is uncovered, and he wears a massive golden holy symbol of Garl about his neck and many impressive rings on his fingers. Despite his age, he is steady on his feet on the swaying deck of the ship, with no staff or any other visible weapon.

"Garl's blessings be upon you. How may I be of service?"

Karaswanton
2008-05-26, 09:26 AM
Balthazar

Balthazar steps forward, feeling compelled by duty to deliver the message himself as he is the commanding officer.

(In Gnomish)
[COLOR="Navy"]Greetings Fortugeld, Patriarch of Garl, and Garl's blessings on you as well. I believe it is we who may be of service. I am Balthazar, commanding officer of this unit.

(In Common)
There have been some political changes within Bridgeport. Aloysious has recently become Doge Vanorius. The new Doge has fired Maglemuel and replaced him with Sonj, among other recent actions. Our Guildmaster therefore had reason to believe you may be in danger, and requested that we warn your Excellency.

Bayar
2008-05-27, 03:26 AM
Jeff

More to himself, Jeff whispers: Damn ! Garl knows how to live the life. Or not, seeing as he is a god and stuff...

Sledge_bro
2008-05-27, 03:58 AM
Omoris mumbled under his breath to himself and frowned as he saw the elegant golden sailed ship

Look at the carvings on the wood. Dozens of trees must have been cut down to find a suitable grain

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-27, 04:52 AM
Fortugeld
"So Sonj is collaborating with the new Doge, who was named... Argos, now Vanorius? This is more serious than I thought. What happened to Aloysious? And why is the - Adventurer's Guild, did you say? Why do you side with me against Vanorius and Sonj; what makes you concerned for my safety?"

Daryk
2008-05-27, 05:21 AM
Balthazar
(In Gnomish)
Greetings Fortugeld, Patriarch of Garl, and Garl's blessings on you as well. I believe it is we who may be of service. I am Balthazar, commanding officer of this unit.

Marko's brow furrowed when Balthazar spoke in his native tongue. More amazing than the fact that he spoke gnomish was what he said. Commanding... wait a minute... what unit is he talking about? he thought to himself. Since the dwarf was in the middle of what Bruce had sent them to do, Marko resolved to ask Balthazar about it later.

Karaswanton
2008-05-27, 08:56 AM
Balthazar

Fortugeld
"So Sonj is collaborating with the new Doge, who was named... Argos, now Vanorius? This is more serious than I thought. What happened to Aloysious? And why is the - Adventurer's Guild, did you say? Why do you side with me against Vanorius and Sonj; what makes you concerned for my safety?"

Regretabbly, Aloysious has passed on...I've heard rumors that he may have been murdered. Unfortunately, I am not privy to the reasonings behind the Guildmasters decisions for siding with you, or even if he has, only that I was to warn you that your reception may not be as warm as you had hoped.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-27, 11:35 AM
Fortugeld
"Very well, thank you for the warning. We will be sure to use caution. Shall we now make for land and see what awaits us?"

(The bosun jerks his head toward the Sampo, looking impatient for the many heavily armed adventurers to be off his ship.)

Jensik
2008-05-27, 08:09 PM
Sharn

Sharn had been following Balthazar fairly closely. Once aboard the fancy boat, he makes sure to keep his hands in plain sight and away from his weapons.

He decides to add to Balthazar's assessment. "Indeed, I do not believe that our employer is choosing a side, per se. Our only goal here is the preservation of life. We aim to avoid conflict at all cost. Thank you, Holy One, for granting us this audience." He bows respectfully, takes two steps backward and turns before lifting his head to leave. He looks around and speaks to Balthazar in a hushed tone. "It is likely we have reached the limit of their hospitality. Normally I would suggest offering our services, but considering the circumstances it may come off as an insult. Observation from afar is advised."

Karaswanton
2008-05-27, 08:56 PM
Balthazar

Quietly, to Sharn only:
Yes,that seems the safest course.

(Gnomish)

Thank you for heeding our warning, Patriarch.
I think the presence of my team is making some of the members of the crew uneasy. Your Holiness is well-served by cautious men.

I hope your Excellency will not find it rude if we take our leave shortly. I would offer our services, but I believe the bosun's services will likely be more than adequate, and will work better with the crew besides.

(Assuming the Patriarch dismisses him)

After being dismissed, Balthazar does a polite bow, takes a few steps backward, and then turns around. He then walks back to his team, and addresses them as a group--but not shouting.

We've delivered the message to the Patriach, and I think we should make haste back to our own ship. We're making the crew uneasy.

I don't know how you Dingoes run thing, but I'm in command of Team Cougar. Now that we are all together, I'm assuming command of the entire group.

My first order as commander of the merged Team is to put our only sailor--Marko--in temporary command while we are on board our own ship, so I can spend the rest of the voyage trying not to be... the dwarf turns a peculiar shade of green, and leans his weight on any nearby structure. He takes a few deep breaths and seems to recover.

trying not to be too seasick. Dwarves are creatures of the earth, we don't belong at sea. Now let's go before your fearless leader makes a spectacle of himself getting sick on a boat full of seasoned sailors in the service of a very important official.

Bayar
2008-05-28, 12:41 AM
Jeff

Uuma ma’ ten’ rashwe, ta tuluva a’ lle.

It means: Dont look for trouble, it will come to you.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-28, 04:43 AM
Assuming nobody wanted to stay and chat - feel free to post retroactively if I'm wrong.

The Adventurers get back on board the Sampo along with Darla and head to land, this time to the docks on the ocean rather than the river piers. They arrive ahead of the patriarch's ships. As they pull up to the fourth dock, they notice that the normally bustling area is almost deserted. A pair of guardsmen eye the adventurers suspiciously as Woetjans hops over the gunnel and ties the mooring lines. There are a couple of other boats at the sixth and seventh docks, but no-one loading or unloading them. A dozen guardsmen stand in formation between the first and second docks. Then the town paddy wagon pulls up. Drawn by two draft horses, it is a full-sized wagon made of wood, with a bench for the driver and another guard and a box behind, capable of holding a dozen prisoners, with only slits at the top for air and light, and a bar & padlock combination on the back to keep the door shut.

Daryk
2008-05-28, 05:18 AM
Marko

Post retroactively, aye!

As the others clambered down the ladder to the Sampo, Marko held back to say a few words to the bosun in his native tongue.

"When next you see home, please tell my family I'm alive and well. The Neustrasiv has been overdue for some time now, and I think they've had no word of me..." the gnome began, launching into a short conversation about his family and how to find them.

-----------

Back aboard the Sampo, Marko gave orders to cast off and get underway. He frowned a bit when Balthazar mentioned command. "Balthazar, a word with you, please?" Marko said, motioning him out of hearing of the crew, but not necessarily his fellow guildsmen. "Much as you said, I don't know how you run things in Team Cougar, but there'll be no assuming anything until we talk to Bruce. Last I checked, he was the only one with the authority to appoint guild officers. Now is not the time to argue, but I wouldn't try giving orders just yet. Please note the only orders I give around here are to the crew of the Sampo, and even that is because I'm the only one qualified to do so," he said. Gesturing to his fellow Dingoes, he added, "The others may feel differently, but that's where I stand."

----------

At the landing, Marko took note of the welcoming committee and said, "Belay that Mr. Woetjans! Take us back out to sea!" Scrambling up a line to the crow's nest with his signal flags, the gnome furiously signalled the waiting danger to the Patriarch's vessels.

"Belay that" in this sense means "stop doing what you're doing".

Karaswanton
2008-05-28, 08:49 AM
Balthazar

(To Marko, while on the ship)

That seems more or less reasonable, although I don't agree. I n any case we will be back in town soon, and I'm not in any condition to discuss it at the moment. We can resolve the issue later.

The dwarf turns green again and is sick over the side of the boat.

(once on shore)
(Dwarven)

Thank Moradin, we are back on solid ground, instead of this madness we call the sea. Praise be to the Allfather!

That carriage worries me. Perhaps we should stay around awhile.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-28, 11:58 AM
The bosun nods his head, calls over a gnome from Marko's island (they are not acquaintances) and has Marko repeat the information for the gnome to relay to Marko's family.

Woetjans looks confused, but unties the moorings and gets the oarsmen ready to cast off from the dock at a moment's notice.

Close behind, the patriarch's ships receive Marko's signal and signal back "Acknowledged." However, they continue into the port and dock where the "welcome committee" of guards is. The slightly larger of the two ships (which the adventurers boarded earlier) lowers its gangplank.

Two sailors scramble out and secure the ship, as there are no waiting dockworkers. They then stand at the gangplank as a procession of other gnomes comes out to meet the squad of City Guard.

Leading the procession are Fortugeld and another, younger cleric. Behind them are a dozen gnomes - but not ordinary sailors in white cloth. Each one is identically clad in a chain shirt and helmet, with battleaxes in their left hands and shields emblazoned with the holy symbol of Garl in their right. The procession walks up the dock and onto land.

One of the guardsmen steps forward, and he and the Patriarch talk briefly. The guardsmen beckons, and two other guards step forward, but before they can reach the patriarch, the younger cleric says something and the gnome marines rush out to form a wall of shields two gnomes deep in front of the clerics. The two guardsmen that were patrolling the docks near the Sampo now have their attention focused on the confrontation with the patriarch, and jog over to join the other fourteen guardsmen. Two of those fourteen have now gotten off the seat of the paddy waggon and go around to the back of it, hidden from the adventurers' sight.

souldoubt
2008-05-28, 12:36 PM
"This doesn't look good, lads and lasses," Ulysses murmurs to himself.

Putting a hand on the railing, Ulysses leaps over the side of the ship -- the gunnel? He's not familiar with ship terminology -- to land on the dock, ready in case trouble comes there way, but waiting for some sign or movement from the rest of his companions.

Rash? Perhaps.
I'm assuming we're still close enough to the dock that I don't need a Jump check?

Thanatos 51-50
2008-05-28, 08:39 PM
Shiela

The fighter follows Valeris down, and keys all her senses for trouble afoot.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-29, 11:39 AM
The doors on the paddy waggon fly open, and the sixteen guardsmen fall back a few steps. Six monstrous creatures - 8 feet tall, man-like, ugly, clad in burlap - pour out of the wagon and, swinging clubs, attack the marines head on, while the guardsmen fall upon the marines' flanks, though staying out of reach of the massive clubs. Gnome sailors with cutlasses swarm out of the two ships, some beckoning for the Patriarch to quickly get back on board.

As with all my drawings, this (http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/AdvGuild/docksbattle.jpg) is definitely NOT to scale!

Bayar
2008-05-29, 12:13 PM
Get ready to fight them ! Jeff draws his bow.

This only happens if they are within range:
He takes aim for one of the big monstrosities. Holding his breath, he lets an arrow fly.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

((Jeff is still on the ship BTW))

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-29, 01:25 PM
Jeff's quick reaction pays off, despite the difficulty of a 150 foot shot into a melee with friendly gnomes. His arrow lodges deep in the calf of the closest monster, and the adventurers see it react, though it presses its attack on the row of marines.

Bayar, wait until all the PCs post or I NPC them before you post again - should be within 24 hrs.

Sledge_bro
2008-05-29, 03:05 PM
By the Shalm! these mockeries of nature must be destroyed!

With renewed vigor, Omoris whips out his Sling and steps out of the Sampo with Sentinel at his heels, ready for action from a distance, as his power over nature had been speant somewhat.

Just for clarification,Omoris is going to start shooting until a few more of those things are down. Omoris tends to overreact sometimes to things he arn't particulary familiar with, and these are definately some of them :smalleek:

Daryk
2008-05-29, 06:55 PM
Marko

Marko, shocked at the turn of events, scrambled for his crossbow, and loaded it. Taking aim at the driver of the wagon to avoid hitting any of his friends, he shouted, "Mr. Woetjans, bring us around to between piers two and three, and prepare to repel boarders!"

The delay of Marko unlimbering and loading his crossbow should give anyone who wants to go ashore and fight a chance to do so. I believe Marko would have been on the focsle bringing Sampo in, so he should have a clear line of sight to the wagon. Oh, and because this just needs to be said:
"My kingdom for a ballista!"

ArtifexFelicis
2008-05-29, 08:24 PM
Althea watched for only a second longer then her kinghtly friend, then pulled herself and jumped off the side of the boat as well. She hit the dock with a deep thunk, but was clearly more then able to take the small fall with ease.

"Should we charge them?" Althea asked the other two as she stood up from the dock. She didn't draw her great sword just yet, but stodd with Ulysses and the other girl.

((Not every barbarian needs to be battle thirsty pre-rage :smalltongue:))

Karaswanton
2008-05-29, 10:30 PM
Balthazar

On one of the giants, or more if possible.
Grease:
DC 15

Trulhammaren
2008-05-30, 11:40 AM
Iva

As soon as she realized what was going on Iva drops her backpack and grabs the sack containing her 'firewater' and torches. Grabbing several of the torches she dumps them onto the deck of the Sampoo.

"Make way, coming through! Iva shouts out to the occupants of the boat as she jets forward launching herself from the front of the boat. (prow?) Using her momentum her lands with a somersault and keeps running, attempting to put the wagon between herself and her adversaries.

Not completely sure of the mechanics, but here is my plan of action anyway, just in case I think I actually got where I think I did.

Jumping off the boat as part of a run/move action. If by jumping off the boat negates my choice of using a run action then I am pulling a double move action putting me wherever.

If my hopes work out the jump doesn't negate my ability to keep running, putting me well in range of the wagon. As a full run for me lets me travel 160 ft and Jeff's shot was 150 ft so I'm pretty close by my thoughts. As I dropped enough of my gear to put me at 29 lbs of stuff. (Meaning I have 3 torches with me, fyi.)

In either case, I think a burning wagon would be useful right about now, don't you. :smallbiggrin:

Oh yah the horizontal jumping thing. [roll0]

A tumble check and a reflex check for the landing as you deem appropraite.
[roll1] - tumble
[roll2] - reflex

Bayar
2008-05-30, 11:53 AM
Heh, when in doubt, set something on fire.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-30, 12:53 PM
Balthazar runs up almost to the edge of battle to get in range to cast Grease, and his magic sets up a slick under the feet of the closest two monsters... and the closest four gnome marines. At the same time, a city guard on the marines' west flank throws his spear at a gnome and misses. As he reaches back for his longsword on his hip, the guard sees Balthazar not 10 feet behind him and shouts in alarm, turning and drawing his blade.

Reflex Saves for Gnomes
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Reflex Saves for Monsters
[roll4]
[roll5]
Hope you don't mind that I made Balthazar expose himself to the battle like that. I figured you'd prefer it to his spell falling short. And it makes for more drama anyway.

The four gnomes and two monsters all fall to the ground with crash. With barely a pause, they continue their continue their combat on the ground, sliding and clawing at each other, some struggling to get up or recover lost weapons and being pulled back. The gnomes desperate but still with the calm of professional warriors; the 8-foot man-like creatures raging and savage - a mass grapple ensues, with their comrades outside the grease patch too involved in their own combat to aid them.

The white-clothed sailors who disembarked from the Patriarch's flagship grab their two clerics and haul them back onboard, while those from the from the smaller ship enter combat with the city guards nearest them, forcing them to abandon their assault on the marines' west flank. A few sailors in the rigging take occasional shots with light crossbows at their enemies, but never in a volley, presumably for fear of striking their own.

Adventurers scramble onto the dock as Woetjans jumps back on board the Sampo and directs the oarsmen in backing the boat out and turn it so the bow faces west, toward docks 1 and 2. Iva tumbles off the boat just as it moves past the edge of the dock.
The adventurers advance, whether to get in comfortable range for their projectile weapons or to come to Balthazar's aid. Iva sprints over to the left (landward) side of the wooden paddy wagon, crossing in front of the pair of horses hitched to it. Two of the City Guards on the east flank of the marines spot her, shout, and peel off from the battle after her.

Remember the map on photobucket is upside down: west is right and east is left. I left some room for fudging the distances the adventurers advanced in the paragraph above, so basically you can choose wherever your character is now: either on the Sampo, or anywhere on the left/east side of the battle. Also I don't see any reason why the grease wouldn't be flammable.

Shades of Gray
2008-05-30, 03:18 PM
Althea!
Durx touches Althea's shoulder. She then grows twice her size.

(Enlarge Person on Althea)

Durx draws his crossbow and loads it (or draws it if he can't do both)

Bayar
2008-05-30, 05:12 PM
This one's for you, Gylvin. Gurth gothrimlye !!!

Jeff shoots another arrow towards the monster he previously wounded.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Oh, and I said Death to our foes.

Karaswanton
2008-05-30, 07:59 PM
Balthazar

Blast! I was hoping the gnomes would have quicker reflexes!
I'm very close to the battlefield, how inspiring! I'm such a good leader!

Then Balthazar notices the town guard advancing towards him:

Drop it!

The sword is covered in Grease! (DC 15 or drop it)
As a move action, Balthazar draws his crossbow.

He shouts to the rest of the team:

We need someone to help free those gnomes! Does anyone have a lantern--or a fire spell?

Trulhammaren
2008-05-30, 09:13 PM
Iva

Having made her way to the wagon Iva takes a quick look around to check if she was spotted.

Crap...there goes that idea. Hold on a second....

Turning back, Iva jumps into the driver's seat of the paddy wagon and spurs the horses to move forward.

[roll0] vs. DC 10

Managing to get the horses to react Iva turns them towards Balthazar.

"Balthazar! Get up here, I have an idea!"

ArtifexFelicis
2008-05-30, 11:28 PM
Durx's warning would have never been enough, though she knew that he wouldn't do anything to harm a teammate. Althea waited for a second to adjust to the new height and power the spell gave her. She wasn't exactly sure how the Cougars fought, but her team would do well separate unless something got badly mucked up.

"Cover me please," Althea asked before bounding towards the nearest monster not trapped within a grease puddle. The rage was already coming out of her in a wordless battle-cry. Her greatsword was drawn and ready, the smaller beast unaware as she came down with a hard cleave.

Standard Charge, though some interesting bonuses here.

Aimed at a monster not in the grease

Enlarge person -10 Turns remain (Counting this one)
Rage (6 turns remaining again counting this one.)

[roll0] - My attack roll of doom. +2 from Enlarge, +2 from Rage, +2 from Flank, +3 from Strength and +2 from Charge.

[roll1] - +2 Strength from Enlarge and +4 from Rage. 1.5x from two handed weapon.

At -5 AC right now.

Go Glass Canon Go!

Jensik
2008-05-31, 12:14 AM
Sharn

Sharn hesitated. He was not used to combat of this scale, his training concerned with more controlled situations.

No. I will be of use this time. I refuse to be insignificant.

With his resolved steeled, Sharn raised his mace in the air and let out a loud battle cry. A brief flash of light emanated from the holy symbol on his neck, and everyone around him suddenly felt inspiration in their cause.

Casting Bless, everyone within 50 feet of me gains a +1 to their Attack rolls and saves vs. Fear.

[roll0]

Sledge_bro
2008-05-31, 07:09 AM
Omoris loaded his sling and fired at the nearest standing monster, despite being many feet away

Suddenly Sentinel strained against Omoris, wanting to rush in to the brawl.

Not yet! do you want to get yourself ripped asunder or set aflame? Wait for the signal

Handle animal check (Heel) [roll0] attack roll (-4 range, +1 bless) [roll1]

souldoubt
2008-05-31, 11:31 AM
Wordlessly, Ulysses advances on one of the monstrous creatures, drawing his blade from its sheath as he fixes his intense gaze on his chosen foe. Then with a shout he lunges forward into a powerful thrust.

Expending one use of my Fighting Challenge ability (+1 morale bonus to attack & damage) and attacking the one remaining giant-thingy that is not a) engaged in a greasy brawl, or b) being slammed into the next district by Althea. I have 2 uses left (assuming I've regained all my uses since the last night's battle).

[roll0] (+1 from Bless and Fighting Challenge do not stack)
[roll1]
[roll2]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-31, 05:36 PM
Durx shoulders his loaded crossbow and searches for a target not too dangerously close to his comrades or the gnomes. Marko does the same from the focsle of the Sampo as the boat pulls up to end of Dock 2, next to the patriarch's flagship. Jeff's second shot misses the monster with the arrow in its calf and flies dangerously close to the gnomes.

The guard advancing on Balthazar struggles to maintain his grip on his suddenly slippery longsword. Her morale boosted by Sharn's Bless spell, Shiela comes to Balthazar's aid and attacks the guard, at the same time that Iva drives the wagon up to Balthazar.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Shiela fells the guard with one stroke of her scimitar, splitting his breastbone, and he falls, still clutching his sword tightly.

Sentinel charges toward the fray but hesitates when the horses and wagon pull in front of him, and he looks back to Omoris. Omoris watches his bullet strike a monster in the jaw. The monster reels, and a gnome marine seizes the opportunity and finishes the job with his battleaxe.
Ulysses skewers one of the monsters with his sword, but the ugly beast doesn't go down, instead turns and swings his club at Ulysses.

[roll5]
[roll6]

The greatclub strikes Ulysses a glancing blow to his head, and his world explodes into pain. For an instant he feels as though he might fall, but the knight summons his strength and blinks furiously to clear his vision, never losing his grip on his sword.

Althea is suddenly the most impressive being in the battle. Magic energy from the spells cast on her still crackles in her hair as she charges into the melee. A gnome gapes in amazement as Althea's giant-sized blade appears in front of him, thrust through a monster's torso from behind. She pulls her sword back out with a twist as her enemy crumples to the ground.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-05-31, 07:11 PM
Althea grinned as the monster fell before her in a heap, though she was already stepping forward towards the only unharmed monster. It was a curious feeling being so large, but she wasted no time in wonder when there was work to be done.

Attacking the last, so far untouched monster.

[roll0] - Attack roll+3 Strength+2 Rage+1 Bless+2 Enlarge+2 Flank. I'm assuming a flank from the gnome marines.

[roll1] - Strength, Rage and Enlarge (6 Total) all multiplied by 1.5, plus the blessing.

Enlarge Person - 9 Turns Remaining.
Rage - 5 turns remaining.

Still remains a very very scary girl.

At -3 AC, so currently at 11 AC

Karaswanton
2008-06-01, 12:57 AM
Balthazar

Nearly out of spells, and for lack of a better option, Balthazar follows after Iva (full move, or run if need be).

What?

Daryk
2008-06-01, 08:51 AM
Marko

As Sampo passed pier three, Marko ordered, "Hard right rudder! Take us between the piers, Mr. Woetjans! Close that battle, and get a line over to the downed gnomes!"

Returning to his aim, he found his original target had left the wagon. Drawing a bead on another unengaged guardsman, he squeezed the trigger, and set about reloading his crossbow.

Attack (1d20+4): [roll0]
Damage (if necessary, 1d8): [roll1]

Bayar
2008-06-01, 12:41 PM
Jeff

Leave some for me guys ! Jeff fires one more arrow towards big, wounded and ugly before dropping the bow, jumping off the boat and going full speed towards the killzone, drawing his 2 swords in the process.

Attack: [roll0]
Jump check if necesary: [roll2]
Dropping the bow and drawing the weapons are both free actions.

souldoubt
2008-06-01, 03:28 PM
Shaking off the blow that might have proved fatal but for his helm, Ulysses suddenly wishes he hadn't let the captured horses be taken away from the Sampo. Well, if I can't fight in the saddle at least I can die on my feet. He sets his jaw and his shield and takes a swing for the creature's gut.

Forgot to factor in flanking bonus last time; doing it this time.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Critical hit! Total damage is 23 (9*2+5).

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-02, 07:20 PM
Shiela

Shiela interposes herself between Balthazar and the battle and keeps pace with him.

Shades of Gray
2008-06-02, 09:14 PM
If I can get to Ullyses I'll cast CLW (replacing Magic WEapon)

If I can't, then I'll shoot any enemies with my crossbow.

Sledge_bro
2008-06-03, 10:18 AM
Omoris hesitated for a moment, then called to Sentinel

Bwenyth DUR!

He loaded his sling for another shot, as Sentinel scrambled back to him.

Handle animal check [roll0] Attack roll [roll1] and damage [roll2]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-03, 03:56 PM
As Woetjans navigates the boat according to Marko's directions, Marko hits a City Guard with a crossbow bolt, striking him in the thigh solidly, but the man does not go down. The grease vanishes, but where it was is still a chaotic melee of marines, monsters, and guards. Althea slays another monster through the back as it stands gloating over a fallen gnome marine. Ulysses' foe, wounded but enraged, turns to face Ulysses, but Ulysses steps low and swings his blade in an arc under the monster's arm, slicing through its unarmored rib cage and dropping his foe instantly. Durx comes behind Ulysses and shouts over the din of the battle, stretching out his hand, and Ulysses nods and receives the healing bestowed by the power of Saint Cuthbert.
[roll0]
Iva drags Balthazar up on the cart and drives the horses across Dock Street to create a barrier on the east side of the battle, while Shiela walks backwards behind them, her blade thrust forward, warning one of the City Guards to stay back if he values his life.
[roll1]
[roll2]
The guard keeps his distance.
Jeff's arrow misses the monster. He reaches the edge of the melee and drops into a fighting stance before a city guard, his swords in the two-weapon fighter's en garde position. Two sailors fall in beside him, but the city guard chooses to attack the more dangerous looking ranger.
[roll3][roll4][roll5]
Jeff sidesteps the attack, and fear grows in the guard's eyes as he realizes this man with the two blades is not to be trifled with.
Of the twelve gnome marines, only four are still standing in this swift-moving battle. Together with Althea and Ulysses, they form a protective circle around their fallen comrades. Sharn runs to minister to the gnomes, who are likely bleeding heavily internally from the wounds given them by the monsters. The junior cleric of Garl runs from the ship and joins Sharn, escorted by two cutlass-wielding sailors who add themselves to the protective circle, everyone facing outwards like musk-oxen. No foes approach them. Althea, still giant-sized, adjusts her grip on the sweaty hilt of her weapon and looks for someone to kill.
There are multiple guards within reach if Althea decides to attack one.
The remaining city guards start to waver under the ferocious combined attack of the adventurers and the gnomes.

Daryk
2008-06-03, 05:51 PM
Marko

Loaded crossbow in hand, Marko glanced over at the other two gnomish ships to verify the crossbowmen there were similarly ready. Clambering up on Sampo's bowsprit for height, he called out to the remaining guards: "Down your weapons and live, or fall to our volley!"

If the guardsmen don't comply, Marko will cry "Fire!" in gnomish and shoot the most convenient target. Any guardsmen that voice their defiance elect themselves "most convenient".

Rolls, if necessary:
To Hit: [roll0]

Karaswanton
2008-06-03, 07:44 PM
Balthazar

Alright Iva, what is the plan?

Balthazar takes a delay action while he hears what Iva's plan is. Once Trullhammeren posts then I will post again.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-03, 11:11 PM
Shiela

With a macbre grin at the retreating guardsmen, Shiela holds her sword and shield out in a "ready" position - an odd mash-up of the two-weapon stance and the shield-fighter's stance.
She calls out to the crowd,
"Any who wish to shed their blood on my blade is welcome to do so! Anyone else - now would be the time to run like the schoolchildren you are!"
To accentuate her point, Shiela takes a five-foot step to enter melee with the guard she held back and tears her shield across "the zone" which is his mid-section as her scimitar darts high, above the wooden, spiked doom.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Bayar
2008-06-04, 07:10 AM
Jeff

RHHAAAARRR !!!

Jeff lets out a battle cry as he continues the melee with the guard.

Full attack the guard, -2 for dual wielding accounted for, +2 STR damage on main weapon, +1 damage on off hand weapon.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Sledge_bro
2008-06-04, 02:52 PM
Ah, go on then.

And soon Sentinel bounded off at the closest guard, while Omoris took aim with his sling at the closest city guard.

Handle animal Attack roll [roll1] damage [roll2]

Sentinel Attack (Charge?) [roll]1d20+5 Damage1d6+3

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-04, 04:00 PM
Balthazar

Alright Iva, what is the plan?

Balthazar takes a delay action while he hears what Iva's plan is. Once Trullhammeren posts then I will post again.

Iva
"I was going to... oh no, look!"

On the west end of battle, where Dock Street turns north to become River Street, four City Guards come riding around the corner on horseback, only lightly armored but with lances. They lower their lances and spur their horses, charging toward the gnome sailors who are slaughtering the last few remaining guards on foot on the west end of the battle. The gnomes see them coming and shout, alerting all the adventurers.

Not giving the results of Marko and Jeff and Shiela and Omoris and Sentinel's actions yet because we're still waiting on Iva and Althea and Ulysses and Durx and Sharn. And Balthazar, because he's waiting on Iva (I think she wanted to do something with fire?). If we don't hear from them in a few hours I'll take care of it.

Trulhammaren
2008-06-04, 04:25 PM
Iva

"Change of plans, aim something at those horsemen, one of your famous Grease spells would come in really handy right about now. If you don't have any of those left just point and shoot whatever you do have. I'm going to de-horse the guard on the far right." (if I have my directions correct that would the the northernmost horsey man). She tells her dwarven compatriot as she spurs the horses and cart towards the oncoming horsemen.

Handle Animal (if needed) - [roll0]
or Ride if its the more correct roll for this - [roll1]

If we can get within jumping range before things collide, then I guess I'll just roll a bunch of things that might be involved.

Balance - [roll2]
Tumble - [roll3]
Perform Circusry (acrobatics specifically) - [roll4]
Ride - [roll5]
Jump - [roll6] (not totally sure on other modifiers for this one so this is just the basic roll with a movement of 30 as I'm not sure if my 40 would help)

If anything else is needed feel free to roll them as needed.

If we can't get within tackling range then I suppose I can try charming the guy with my spell with said name. (I don't know the range of it off hand, and am not near my booksies.)

Shades of Gray
2008-06-04, 04:28 PM
Does anyone need 'ealing?

Karaswanton
2008-06-04, 07:33 PM
Balthazar

I only prepped two of those today. This is the best I can do for now. Cavalry are only as good as there horses resilience to fear. In my experience, horses don't like fire.

Then the dwarf takes out his lantern and lights it.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-04, 08:00 PM
OOC> Are there any weapons scattered about the battlefield which can be set against a charge, I.E. Spears - or has everyone been using swordplay?

souldoubt
2008-06-04, 10:59 PM
As he waits for the guards to either throw down their weapons or make some hostile move (readying an attack if they do so), Ulysses attention is drawn by the sound of shouting and hoofbeats.

His familiarity with horsemanship warns Ulysses that he should definitely get out of the way of a mounted charge.

(Assuming he's not blocked or at risk of provoking an AoO, Ulysses is going to position himself somewhere where he won't be hit by the charge but can still fight.)

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-05, 01:00 AM
The battlefield is littered with spears sized for humans that were thrown by City Guards. The moans of the wounded are concentrated at the center of the battlefield, where gnome marines urge any cleric they can find to heal their comrades.

Those of you who are ready can go ahead and post. If you're waiting for more info from me I'll update later; this is all I have time for for now.

Karaswanton
2008-06-05, 12:49 PM
Balthazar

[SPOILER]
Balthazar throws the lantern--+4 from BAB and Dex, -4 for being improvised. Fortunately, he is just aiming for the square near where the horses are, hoping the sound and the flames will scare them and make them drop their riders.
[roll0]

EDIT: Actually, could we say that Balthazar is throwing a jar of lit lantern oil? That way I'll still have my lantern? That just occurred to me.
:smalleek:[SPOILER]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-05, 01:56 PM
The guard narrowly ducks both of Jeff's blades, and attacks the ranger again.
[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3]
Jeff eludes the guard's blade.

Shiela's foe stops in his tracks as the shield spikes tear across his torso. Shiela's scimitar finishes the job. Ulysses' bullet drops the guard he wounded previously, and Sentinel savagely takes down a third guard. Sailors fighting together defeat yet another. Suddenly the eastern end of the battle is quiet... except for the duel that has developed between Jeff and his opponent. Jeff feels a gentle touch on his shoulder and, without looking to see who it is, realizes that someone is casting a beneficial spell on him. He feels emboldened, focused, and full of unstoppable life.
The spell was Aid, which adds a +1 morale bonus to attack rolls and saves versus fear. It also adds temporary hit points, in this case 11HP.

Durx, Sharn, and the junior gnome cleric busy themselves curing the wounds of fallen gnomes. Iva skillfully drives the frightened horse team pulling the wagon west along dock street. Three of the horsemen charge across her path until she gets close enough... one more horseman... Iva perches on the seat of the wagon and holds her balance through every bump and swerve. Finally she leaps, but misjudges the distance. She flies through the air directly towards the dangerously sharp hooves of the horse. In an amazing display of tumbling skill, she tucks her body and rolls through the horse's legs and springs to her feet safely on the other side. The horses pulling the wagon keep on running.

Marko (in Gnomish)
"Over there - fire!"
The crossbow-armed sailors have no battle leader of their own, and are grateful for Marko's direction to fire at the four mounted guards.
Among the flight of crossbow bolts, a flask of lantern oil sails through the air towards the horsemen.
[roll4]

The gnome sailors on the west end of the battle are just starting to rejoice at defeating the guards there when, to their despair, they see thundering hooves and sharp lances bearing down upon them. Then something lands and breaks open on the ground between the sailors and the horsemen, and flames suddenly leap up from the cobblestones there. The flames are small, but enough to make the horses swerve. At the same time crossbow bolts streak down upon the horsemen. Marko's own bolt is among those that fly true, punching through leather armor to wound the guards. The horses are unfazed, evidently trained for war, but the combination of difficult riding and injury is too much for the guards, and all four topple from their saddles.

The four un-horsed and wounded guards being the last conscious enemies on the field (other than Jeff's opponent), the gnomes are filled with encouragement... or is it bloodlust in these simple sailors who serve a holy man? A roar goes up from the gnomes, and they raise their cutlasses as they start to charge, bright red blood-stains standing out in sharp contrast on their white sailor's clothing. The marines with Althea and Ulysses likewise raise their battleaxes, and start toward the horsemen who are picking themselves up and drawing longswords. Althea's heartbeat pounds in her ears, as her battle-rage is quickened like never before.

Bayar
2008-06-05, 03:11 PM
You are a good oponent. But it ends now !

Jeff attacks the man with his longsword, keeping the shortsword ready.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Edit: Booya !

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-05, 03:19 PM
Jeff's blade draws blood, but the guard still doesn't go down. Seemingly oblivious that he is the only "Loyalist" remaining on the eastern side of the battlefield, and that Jeff's allies are forming a circle around the pair to see how the duel will end, he bites his lip and swings wildly at the ranger.

[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3]

The tip of his sword scores Jeff's thigh. The guard's cry of success sounds a little forced.

Guard
"Ha! This ends when you're dead, traitor!"

@Bayar - you can post again immediately if you want, no need for wait for other characters on the other side of the battlefield to act. I kinda threw initiative out the window for this Battle Royale. Oh, and Aid is still in effect for this round plus four more.

Bayar
2008-06-05, 03:31 PM
I am not planning to fight until I die of old age ! Surrender or we will kill you !

Jeff continues his longsword attacks against the guard, trying to ignore the pain.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-05, 03:47 PM
The guard tries to defend himself, but he is too slow for Jeff's blistering attack. The ranger's sword cuts deeply just below the man's ribs.
The guard takes a step back, wheezes, tries to raise his sword again, then scowls at Jeff as he falls. His body goes limp even before it hits the ground, and a sharp <crack> is heard by all as his head meets the cobblestones.

Jeff looks immediately behind himself and sees the Patriarch of Garl looking very serious, but nodding approvingly.

OK, now we need to wait for the others before Jeff acts again!

ArtifexFelicis
2008-06-05, 04:50 PM
The barbarian stepped forward again and charged at the final small group of foes, hardly bothering to waste time as she brought her blade up and around in another cleave towards the fallen horsemen. She was grinning again, given in almost entirely to her bloodlust for the combat. She could almost imagine a beat as she moved through the fight, ready to strike and cut down all of those before her.

Just assuming I can get a charge off. If not, change my rolls around to fit the true nature of them.

[roll0] - Attack roll+3 Strength+2 Rage+1 Bless+2 Enlarge+2 Charge.

[roll1] - Strength, Rage and Enlarge (6 Total) all multiplied by 1.5, plus the blessing.

Still a scary girl, and might enter into frightening if this does over 20 damage. Again.

Enlarge Person - 8 Turns Remaining.
Rage - 4 turns remaining.

At -5 AC, so currently at 9 AC

Assuming that Jeff's stuff doesn't count for turns.

Confirmaion of 16 for the Cirtical
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4425429&postcount=318

Trulhammaren
2008-06-05, 05:16 PM
Iva

Having landed behind the now unhorsed guardsmen Iva decides to try and take a prisoner if she is at all able. The onslaught of the barbarian from the former team Dingo only provided reason to hurry as do her thing.

Freeing her whip Iva lashes out at the guard least likely to get walloped by the enlarged female in an attempt to trip the man.

Touch attack thingy - [roll0]
Strength check vs guard Str or Dex - [roll1]

Shades of Gray
2008-06-05, 06:45 PM
Jeff!

Durx substitutes his Summon Monster for a CLW on Jeff.

St. Cuthbert's blessin'

Daryk
2008-06-05, 06:51 PM
Marko

Emboldened by the success of the volley fire, Marko called out in his native tongue, "Reload! Watch for the next wave!"

As he reloaded his own crossbow, he called to his First Mate, "Mr. Woetjans, land us at pier two! Prepare to take wounded aboard, and be ready to shove off!"

If any more guardsmen appear, they'll get another gnomish barrage. :smallamused:

souldoubt
2008-06-05, 07:16 PM
After charging in alongside Althea, Ulysses sees what Iva is trying to do and takes a swing at the side of the same guard's head with the flat of his sword-blade.

Dealing nonlethal damage, -4 to hit.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Karaswanton
2008-06-05, 08:17 PM
Balthazar

The dwarf casts Magic Missile on the strongest guard. (Least damaged)
[roll0]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-06, 02:00 AM
No penalty for those who didn't get a post in yet as I have not waited a full day. And the Aid spell only applies to Jeff, but not to worry, Althea is such a juggernaut right now that it doesn't make any difference.

Iva's whip wraps around a guard's leg, but he pulls the whip free of the slender girl's hand. Althea catches up with and leads the gnomes in their charge, her sword breaking her opponent in two like a tindertwig. Balthazar barely has time to see his spell send another unhorsed guard reeling before the tide of maddened (usually peaceful!) gnomes falls upon their enemies like a wave of blood. Only the rearmost guard survives, as Iva and Ulysses warn off the gnomes around them.

<SMACK!>
The flat of Ulysses' blade strikes his foe, who has one crossbow bolt protruding from his thigh. The guard's eyes roll upwards and he falls limp. Ulysses checks the man's breathing, and it is steady and unlabored. Iva unwraps her whip from the man's leg and uses it instead to bind the man's hands behind his back. As she does so, she notices the four light warhorses the guards rode are now standing nearby as a small herd. The horses don't look frightened but they don't look relaxed either.

As the Sampo docks, Marko spies the bosun of the Patriarch's flagship, just returning after having his wounds cured by his cleric. Marko jumps onto the dock and has a quick word with him. The two gnomes quickly order everyone back on their respective ships, in case another wave of guards attacks.

Fortugeld has a brief word with one of his men, then tends to one of the wounded nearby while Jeff catches his breath. The man returns with an object wrapped in a soft fleece, which he gives to Fortugeld. The Patriarch then addresses Jeff.
Fortugeld
"You know, I admired your style fighting with two blades. I think you could have defeated that man using that method if you only had the right equipment. Here--" (He unwraps the object in the fleece, revealing a short sword (size medium) in a sheath. The sword consists of only one type of metal the usual steel, and is without decoration, but it is obvious as the Patriarch unsheaths it that it is very well-made.) "This was going to be a present for Doge Aloysious. Be careful touching the blade - it is likely sharper than any you have encountered before, thanks to magic. I give it to you in gratitude for the service you and your comrades have done us this day."

Size Medium short sword, Masterwork, Keen edge (crit range 17-20 instead of 19-20).

Daryk
2008-06-06, 05:11 AM
Marko

As the adventurers return to Sampo, Marko spied Ulysses and suggested, "Sir Knight, I think Bruce and the rest of the guild need to be warned, and there's a wagon running out of control through the city streets. I believe I can handle Sampo and work with the Patriarch's men to gather weapons here."

Well, at least weapons. If the guards had any shields, those should be easy enough to police up as well. Armor would probably take too long, and I'd prefer not to encourage outright looting, though if Sampo's crew is involved, I'd be hard pressed (and un-inclined) to stop it.

Bayar
2008-06-06, 05:37 AM
Jeff

Thank you. We will put this blade to good use in our battle with the enemies. Jeff takes a bow. Noticing the horses he says: please excuse me, there are tasks awaiting me.

He then proceeds to slowly move towards the warhorses, attempting to establish a peaceful contact.
Relax, I'm not going to hurt you. I have some food if you want to eat. ((although I doubt that you like trail rations...))

Wild empathy check: [roll0]

Sledge_bro
2008-06-06, 11:50 AM
Omoris strode forward and surveyed the aftermath of the battle

Well, all well that ends well eh?

as Sentinel trotted back to his side.

souldoubt
2008-06-06, 01:10 PM
"Sir Knight, I think Bruce and the rest of the guild need to be warned, and there's a wagon running out of control through the city streets..."
A wagon running out of control? I thought Balthazar was still on it...

Ulysses gives Marko a nod and, trying not to get in Jeff's way, strides over to one of the riderless horses and makes a grab for the reins.
Taking 10 on a Handle Animal check for a result of 12, which should suffice even if the horse has taken any damage from being spurred -- though of course Ulysses is going to choose the horse which looks in the best shape.
Swinging up into the saddle, Ulysses calls back to Marko. "I'll ride ahead and warn the guild of what's happened here. Where should we meet up? If I ride back here I might discover that you've all put to sea and left a cadre of guards behind to greet me." He grins, as if this is a prospect that he might actually relish.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-07, 08:22 AM
With all the gnomes back on their feet now, the clerics line up all the city guards and bind their feet together and their hands behind their backs, curing those who are unconscious, covering the faces of those too far gone to save. The monsters are ignored. Everyone not needed gets on the ships, which are prepared to sail, with lookouts in the crow's nests watching for more enemies on the way.

One of the three remaining horses walks over to Iva and nuzzles her ear.

It was my impression that Balthazar got off the wagon to throw the flask of oil.

Daryk
2008-06-07, 09:34 AM
Marko

"If we have to put to sea, I'm not sure when we'd be able to return. You should be able to see the sails from a few blocks away, though, so you shouldn't be too surprised. We'll linger off the coast if need be, and you can find our fisherman friend to bring you to us," Marko replied.

Um, being that the DM seems to think the wagon is uncontrolled, I won't edit my last post (or at least, not yet).

Karaswanton
2008-06-07, 11:34 AM
Balthazar

Balthazar had planned on jumping off the wagon since he has no idea how to control horses, but his robes have caught in the seat.

Whoa! Stop there horsey, nice horsey, calm down!

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-07, 03:49 PM
The wagon careens down River Street until it comes within sight of the Great Bridge. The horses slow, and Balthazar regains his balance on the seat and his hold on the reins (though he's not quite sure what to do with them). Finally he looks up ahead of him.

Dozens of halflings have erected a barrier of carts and overturned kiosks at the east end of the Bridge. The distance (about 600 feet) is a little too far for Balthazar to see clearly, but he believes they are armed with various weapons. Outside of the Bridge there is no-one in the street and the houses are shuttered, except he can see that about 600 feet further north up the road there is a group of people on foot and on horseback that seem to be dressed in blue and gray, the color of the City Guard.

Ulysses gallops ahead, the sound of his horse's feet on the cobblestones echoing through the empty street. He hesitates at the first intersection, then decides to just stick to the main road in search of the lost wagon - and Balthazar. He breathes a sigh of relief as he sees the wagon - still upright - in the street ahead, and canters forward until he meets up with Balthazar, unharmed on the bench.

Ulysses
"Are you alright?"

Balthazar
"Yes. But look there."

He points out the people on the Bridge and those further up the street, and when Iva gallops up on her horse to join them, they point them out to her as well. The three adventurers stay in place for a moment, trying to make sense of what they are seeing.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-07, 04:14 PM
Shiela

Shiela, instead of policing the area with the gnomes, heads over to the man Ulysseus knocked out, and rather forcefully, salps him across the face.
"This is just about the time where you tell me about troop movements withing the city." she says in an almost sickening tone, on ethat sounds like she has just lost all paitence with the multiverse, and will not tolerate an evasive answer.
To accentuate the "Will not tolerate an evasive answer" bit, she tightens her grip on the (still very bloody) scimitar and raises the tip so it is quite clearly visible and quite clearly pointing at the man's throat.
[roll0]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-07, 05:04 PM
Guard's roll versus Intimidation, with a -2 penalty considering the circumstances: [roll0]

Guard
"Well - <gulp!> - the guard is collecting taxes, with a half-ogre augmenting each patrol. And we're supposed to stop any 'dissident behavior' we come across, like protests."

As Marko works with the Patriarch's bosun to supervise the loading of the ships, something floating in the water next to the Sampo catches his eye, a piece of driftwood with a bit of rope attached. Something compels Marko to look at it more closely, so he lies prone on the dock and reaches into the water, retrieving the object. He raises his eyebrows as he recognizes it. It is a small holy symbol carved from driftwood, not that of Garl or Obad-Hai, but of a less-commonly worshipped deity, though still well-known by gnome sailors: Ahto. The thin piece of rope which is meant to be used for suspending the symbol from one's neck is dirty and unimpressive, but the the symbol itself is exquisitely carved from a beautiful piece of two-toned wood. As Marko stands back up with it in his hand, he feels there is something special about this holy symbol, that somehow he was meant to find it here and now.

Daryk
2008-06-07, 06:28 PM
Marko

"Ahto be praised! Another piece of the Sampo! Two in one week! My luck has definitely changed!" Marko exclaimed as he stood up holding the holy symbol. He carefully squeezed the water out of the light line attached to the exquisite carving, and gently laid it about his neck, feeling particularly blessed. He proudly displayed his find to the bosun, and asked that this latest news also be passed on to his family. Perhaps the wreck of the Neustrasiv hadn't been such a misfortune after all. It had led him here, as Master of a vessel (however temporarily) and to this unambiguous mark of Ahto's favor.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-07, 07:59 PM
Shiela

"By the Lady, what sort of tactical dunces to they teach you guardsmen to be?" Shiela curses at the guard.
"Showing muscle just to levvy taxes from sailors who are obviously armed, ready for trouble, and not to mention, had JUST docked. We thought you were here to kill us. Get that? K - I- L - L?"
With a quick thrust, Shiela slides her blade between this guard and the one on his right, and uses the guardsmen's clothes to wipe the blood off her blade before scabbarding it.
"Now, you're going to tell me some pretty, pretty numbers like "how many". Then you're telling me important bits like "Where", "Where to", and "Who gave the orders"."
The fighter than smiles the same smile she has used on all interrogations thus far.
"Shortly after that, you'll give me any other information you believe, I may deem relevant. I'd rather not kill anyone else, you see and I sure would like this whole situation resolved by supper."
Not an attack, just meant to make the poor guardsmen very, very scared for his life.
Also, I wonder if there are any CG Fighter - orientated Interrogator - style PrCs.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-08, 05:22 AM
Guard
"We weren't here to kill you! You were the ones who attacked us! We don't even know who you are! We were just here to escort the Patriarch to the palace, not to gather taxes from sailors! And we would have done it, too, if you hadn't interfered and if more backup had arrived like they said it would. You and your blood-mad giant sword-witch over there!" (he tilts his head toward Althea)

At this, the guard next to the speaker nudges him sharply, and he shuts up.

The two remaining horses seem to have calmed down thanks to Jeff quieting them.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-08, 05:42 AM
Shiela
"Yes, well, the man who fired the first shot will be 'talked' to." The fighter mumbles under her breath, and becomes rather interested in some dust on her boots before catching on another, rather distinct word.
"Back-up."
Her eyes light up and she jerks her head back to meet the guard's eyes.
Shiela's sword-hand visbly resits the urge to clamp around the guardsman's throat.
"Tell me about that back-up or I'll show you that we have two mad sword-witches on this team. Specifically, I want to know where they should be, and what their retinue consits of."
HEY! I think I'll let the other PCs do their thing, now- la, lala.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-06-08, 09:12 AM
Althea finished finally cleaning her sword, taking a considerable amount of care to make sure it wasn't in bad condition. Durx's enlargement spell and her own rage ended at roughly the same time, leaving her out of breath but with an odd feeling on accomplishment. She kept out of the way of the other girl's interogation for a while, though she saw one of the guardsman nod in her direction as he mentioned an oddly creative way to describe her. She stood, placing the trusty greatsword securely into its sheath before moving over.

"I have another one. Who're you even collecting these taxes for?" asked Althea in a calm voice. She smiled at the two guardsman, drawing and almost playing with her kukri before them. It's a wickedly sharp looking weapon, and its fits comfortably into her hand. She waits for the two below her and helpless to answer, almost paying more attention to her blade them them.

Honestly, I have no idea what the modifiers to Intimidation would be right now. Taking 10 would normally be 11 right now for Level 2 Althea or 10 for Level 1 Althea. But they're helpless, passivly threatened with a big knife, and she's already been called a "Blood-mad giant sword witch."

I'm going to leave this one your call. :smallbiggrin:

Jensik
2008-06-08, 10:34 AM
Sharn

Sharn had been spending his time collecting and lining up the dead, making sure to give a short prayer of safety to each one individually. How is it that it always comes down to this?

souldoubt
2008-06-08, 11:46 AM
Ulysses scans the strange scene along the river. "What do you suppose this is all about?"

Dumb question. Go 9 Wis! :smalltongue:

For some clarification, on which side of the bridge/river are the guards who appear to be bearing down on the halflings? Are they on the side with the halflings? Do the halflings appear to be aware of the approaching guards? Also, on which side of the bridge are the halflings & guards in relation to us? Are we coming up behind this barrier they've errected, or ar we approaching it from the front? :smallconfused:

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-08, 01:21 PM
The guards shrug in response to Althea and Shiela's questions.

Ulysses takes in the scene some more. If he were to walk 600 feet north on this road, the east end of the Great Bridge would be on his left, but he would not be able to turn left and walk onto the Bridge because of the barricade that runs across the east end of the Bridge, with the halflings behind the barricade.
However, instead of turning left he could keep on walking straight north for another 600 feet until encountering the mass of blue and grey-clothed people.

Ulysses
That's probably the City Guard, and they're just staying out of bowshot until they decide what to do... or maybe they've already decided what to do. The halflings must have already defeated some guards in order to take control of the Bridge like that.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-08, 05:49 PM
Shiela

"Do you want to get into the delicate cutting to pull information out of their throats, or should I?"
Shiela asks the barbarian as she draws her dirk from behind the scimitar.
[roll0]I don't know what situational modifiers you want to apply, but it looks like the guards are becomeing more resistant to questioning, so it looks like time for another intimidation roll and threat of violence.
If all else fails - what type of dice to I roll to cause PAIN, but not damage?

ArtifexFelicis
2008-06-08, 06:20 PM
"After you, I'm far too messy with cutting," Althea admitted. She stepped back slightly, bowing slightly to allow the shorter fighter ma larger stage. She didn't really feel like hurting them too much, but still. It might be useful if they had to tussle again. She didn't know if she could get into such a frenzy once more, and she was certain they may need it again soon.

Gonna aid another to help Shiela intimidate them. So that should turn into a 23 correct?

souldoubt
2008-06-08, 09:32 PM
Ulysses looks to Iva and Balthazar.

"Is there a white piece of cloth handy we might wave for sort of a parley flag? I'd like to approach those halflings and ask what this is all about, but I'd rather not get shot at."

He smirks slightly at the thought of surviving battle with 8-foot-tall monsters only to be shot out of his saddle by a company of anxious halflings.

Bayar
2008-06-09, 10:22 AM
Seeing that the horses have calmed down, Jeff attempts to ride one of them and make the other one follow him towards the rest of the team.

Taking 10 on ride and handle animal checks here

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-09, 01:03 PM
Who are you even collecting these taxes for?
The guards look at each other quizzically.
Guard
"The Doge, of course... we're not corrupt, if that's what you mean! Bridgeport is going to need money to raise a force strong enough to defend our borders."

Jeff catches up with the others on horseback... between the four of them, they cannot find a white cloth.
Jeff
Perhaps one of you has a white undershirt? Or should we just go cut a piece off the Sampo's sail?

Ulysses, Balthazar, or Iva may lend the use of their undershirt if he or she wishes to declare at this time that it is white. Most common/traveling clothing is earthtones, and I presume Jeff would want his clothes to be camoflage.

Sledge_bro
2008-06-09, 02:59 PM
May I ask what from? I may not know these lands well, but would these creatures be a rough estimation?

Omoris motioned towards the distance corpse of one of the monsterous sized humanoids.

Go go 18 wis 9 cha! :smallbiggrin:

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-09, 04:00 PM
Guard
"Er... the half-ogres are on our side. Some of us weren't really happy about that, but you don't argue with orders."

Trulhammaren
2008-06-09, 04:19 PM
Iva

"I may have some white cloth in with my dies and other performance stuff, but thats all back on the ship. Besides, I don't think the four of us will be of any good if things go bad. I vote we head back and pick up the rest of the guild and figure out what to do from there they may have some info that might help make more sense of all this." Pointing out the scene in front of them. "You think you can drive that thing Balthazar?"

souldoubt
2008-06-09, 04:49 PM
Ulysses eyes the halflings barricaded on the bridge, and the guards arranged just out of bowshot.

"This scene could look a whole lot different by the time we ride back and inform the group," he says. "Besides, we still need to get word to the guildhall regarding what's happening here. We can add this to the list of strange new developments."

He adds, "Of course, we can split up, but I'm riding to the guildhall like I told Marko I would."

Am I correct in understanding that the guildhall is on this side of town, and not across the barricaded bridge?

Daryk
2008-06-09, 05:53 PM
Marko

Seeing Shiela and Althea involved in interrogating the guardsmen, Marko casually asked the junior cleric exactly what had been said just before the half-ogres attacked. From what he could see from the Sampo, it had been an unprovoked assault.

Shades of Gray
2008-06-09, 07:31 PM
If you need white cloth I have my tabard.

Eh wotcha got thar Cap'n Marko. Durx says in a pirate impression. Ah, from wat'a seen from some gnomish sailors that come to our clan to trade. Abto, or Atno, or somethin' m'I right?

souldoubt
2008-06-09, 08:19 PM
If you need white cloth I have my tabard.

Unfortunately, Durx is nowhere near Ulysses, Iva, and Balthazar at the moment. He actually wouldn't be aware of their discussion, as far as I know.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-10, 02:56 PM
Marko

Seeing Shiela and Althea involved in interrogating the guardsmen, Marko casually asked the junior cleric exactly what had been said just before the half-ogres attacked. From what he could see from the Sampo, it had been an unprovoked assault.

Patriarch's Aide (Junior Cleric of Garl)
"Well, they said they were here to escort us to see the Doge, and the Patriarch said we'd rather if they didn't, and they said the Doge insists, and the Patriarch said, "If the Doge wants to see me he can come see me here.' Then they let the monsters loose."

Daryk
2008-06-10, 08:59 PM
Marko

"Much as I suspected, thank you," Marko said with a dip of his head to the cleric.

Turning to Durx and his pirate impression, he grinned and answered, "Another piece of the Sampo, I think. Ahto has indeed blessed me today."

The "Sampo" being a legendary luck charm that was shattered and the pieces scattered at sea (Ahto's realm).

Karaswanton
2008-06-11, 11:01 PM
Balthazar

Balthazar runs over to Durx:

(Dwarvish)

If I recall, you were raised by dwarves. We have need of a white cloth for a peace flag over yonder, could I perhaps borrow your tabard?

Then, once he has the tabard, he runs back.

Alright, he have a white cloth. Does any of you have a pole of some kind?

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-11, 11:13 PM
Shiela
(As Balthazaar runs by with the Tabard)
"What do you need the white cloth for?"

souldoubt
2008-06-11, 11:26 PM
"No need," Ulysses says in response to Balthazar's question about a pole. "I'll just hold it high in my hand; I'd think that should do the trick."

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-12, 08:13 AM
The group of adventurers cautiously approaches the halflings on the Bridge with weapons sheathed and Ulysses waving his white flag, which has long been the custom for all known cultures in the Timber Valley when requesting a parley.

One young woman halfling motions with her hand, and the halflings lower their bows and crossbows to allow the adventurers to approach, though still keeping their ammunition nocked.

Sledge_bro
2008-06-12, 01:29 PM
Omoris released an audbile sigh of releif as the halflings began to lower thier weapons, but still eyed them suspiciously as the adventurers walked across the bridge, especially the crossbows, which he shuddered at the mear sight of

Calm yourself Omoris, it's okay, they're fine

Bayar
2008-06-13, 01:16 AM
Jeff

Ok, ok, nice and easy little fella, we dont wwant to squish any halflings now...maybe later but not now...

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-13, 02:44 AM
Young Woman Halfling
"No-one crosses the Bridge. You'll have to stay east of the river."

Karaswanton
2008-06-13, 09:10 AM
Balthazar

To Shiela:
We need it to parley.

To Ulysess:
I think..I think you should handle the talking from here, I'm not so good with..people skills.

souldoubt
2008-06-13, 11:59 AM
Ulysses nods to Balthazar, and turns his attention to the halfling.

"That's fine. We just want to know what's going on here. We're from the Adventurers' Guild, and as such we have a vested interest in the happenings in Bridgeport. We're not here to make any trouble." He glances aside at the company of guards set up out of bowshot, and adds, "Not for you anyway. We've just had a violent run-in with the city guard ourselves; they attacked a clergyman we were escorting into the city. Needless to say, most of us would be... reluctant to come to their aid right now."

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-13, 02:52 PM
Young Halfling Woman
"Well, what's going on here is that the Doge has finally pushed us halflings too far! We heard the rumors about halfings being kidnapped and threatened in their homes. And some thought we were helpless... but then we heard about halfling freedom fighters taking back Highburrow Hall, and that gave us hope... When we refused to pay the Doge's tax, he tried to use his half-ogre thugs to imprison us and starve our families - but we fought back, and kicked them out of our city! By the grace of Yondalla and Heironeous, we are no longer a people trampled underfoot!

During the woman's speech, the adventurers notice that not everyone manning the barricade is a halfling. There are a couple of grey-bearded dwarves, and there are half a dozen humans wearing City Guard breeches, but only undershirts without the blue and grey tunics. Then Omoris spots a human cleric of Heironeous in his battle robes. The cleric makes his way over to stand next to the young halfling woman, with just an overturned cart between them and the adventurers.

If any of your characters know Valspir, you recognize him now. I can't remember if anyone other than Team Badger ever met him.

Sledge_bro
2008-06-13, 03:20 PM
Noticing the man's religious garb, Omoris took it onto himself to introduce himself

Greetings there! May I ask to what your place in this situation is cleric? I can see you are obviously not affiliated with the city guard.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-13, 04:19 PM
Valspir
"You're actually quite wrong, good sir. I am Valspir, official chaplain of the City Guard. Or at least I was the chaplain up until a short time ago; I presume that the Doge will decide that inciting mutiny is reason enough to remove me from my post! I am a cleric of Heironeous, a god of justice and honor, and when I learned that Argos was planning to have himself declared king and take advantage of the other cities in their time of weakness, I knew I had to take action. The Shae (he indicates the young halfling woman next to him, with a glint in his eye) and I saw things the same way and were able to join forces to start this little rebellion.
(He becomes more serious and lowers his voice)
"Tell me friends, who was this clergyman you defended against the Guard, and were there any Guards killed? Are there any still lying untended on the battlefield?"

FYI, there were three guards at the docks who fell below -9 HP and were therefore not healed by the clerics there.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-13, 06:35 PM
Upon Balthazar's response, a worried look crosses Shiela's face.
She looks at the young man she was interogating and sheathes her dagger.
"I think I'll let the gnomes finish up. If I hear word that you were even mildly defiant..." Tailor lets the end of the sentance hang in the air.
She then pivos on her foot and takes off after Balthazar.
[hr] Arriving at the bridge with her companions here, Shiela stands off to the side and listens to Valspir's synopsis of the situation. When he asks about the death toll, Shiela decides to stow her shield, draw Gylvin's Longbow and man the barricades instead of answering.
Probably wouldn't look good o mention that she had gleefully particpated in the slaugher.
The orginally read "Killed two personally", but I was unsure as to which ones were dead. Also - I still don't have Gylvin's Longbow recorded on ym Character sheet. I should get to that...

ArtifexFelicis
2008-06-13, 10:03 PM
Althea followed Shiela as they finished their interogation of the guard. The other gnome sailors seemed more then good enough to take care of him. She took her time to follow the others, making sure to clean and dry her sword carefully. The blade had served her well, and it would not do to have it sullied by merely poor upkeep.

The small barracks that the halflings had erected seemed sturdy enough, and would make it tough for most to get by. The only way, short of a naval strike against a group of born sailors, was purely muscling through it. Althea personally hoped it wouldn't come to that at any point. She stood with the others, though ignorant of what they would need to do now. Careful diplomatic relations were not her forte by any stretch.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-14, 06:24 AM
Sharn and Durx finish saving lives and meet up with Marko, who has finished overseeing the loading of the ships. The bosun he was working with is now back on his own ship talking with the Patriarch.

Darla
"Where did the rest of the team go?"

Daryk
2008-06-14, 11:23 AM
Marko (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=8219)

Turning to Darla, Marko replied, "I'm not sure. I asked Ulysses to warn the guildmaster, but that doesn't account for the rest. I think we may want to find your father at sea to return you, Darla. Something isn't right, and I don't think it'll be safe for you to make your way home through the streets."

Raising his voice and looking over his shoulder, he said, "Mr. Woetjans, a lookout in the crow's nest, please. We're looking for Goodman Daros and his boat. We'll be returning Ms. Darla here to him at sea."

Trulhammaren
2008-06-14, 03:01 PM
Iva

Under the Doge's orders eh.....wait a sec.

Speaking out to those gathered, primarily to those with horses, "If I'm not mistaken the new Doge...doesn't he kinda not like the guild. I am having a bad feeling that the guild house, if not already besieged will be soon. I'm going to ride out to the guild house and check in on things, the boss will want to know about whats going on here."

Turning her words to the halfling woman and the cleric, "If either of you wish to join me I'm sure you can make a better account of what has been going on here better than any of us."

souldoubt
2008-06-14, 05:32 PM
Ulysses passes Iva a nod. "I ride with you."

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-14, 06:25 PM
Valspir and "The Shae" politely decline Iva's invitation to come with them to the guild, replying that they are needed here.

The young halfling woman then quietly speaks with Shiela and Althea, who were in the process of joining the ranks behind the barricade.
Shae
"I thank you for you willingness to help us, but you see, the halfings are suspicious of anyone not a halfling right now, and we really don't know you. We will be fine here, more halflings will be joining us soon... there may be something else you can do to help our cause elsewhere."

Back at the docks, the lookout isn't even all the way to the crow's nest when he calls out,
Lookout
"You mean this halfling fishing boat coming in right now?"

It is indeed Daros, and he anchors next to the Sampo and meets Marko and Darla on the dock.
Daros
"I'm glad I caught you here. When I got back to land, I could tell West Bridgeport was in an uproar, and that the roads may not be safe. The sea is still quiet. I'll be taking Darla back home with me on my boat."

Darla is disappointed that she cannot say goodbye to the rest of the group, but Marko assures her they will meet again soon as she and her father get back on their fishing boat and sail off to the west.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-14, 09:36 PM
Shiela looks down at the Shae
"I see a half-dozen former guardsmen amongst their ranks, and I wear the insgnia of the Adventurer's guild." She pouts.
"If you're men won't have me, I'll have to rush towards the guildhouse"
Barring any objection, Shiela mounts the remaining horse and rides off after Iva and Ulyseeus.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-15, 05:43 AM
As Durx and Sharn meet up with Marko to decide what to do next, they notice one of the gnome marines next to the flagship gangplank attending to a sailor with a minor wound who was overlooked. The marine closes his eyes, bows his head, and lays his hands over the laceration on the sailor's arm. Though difficult to see in the bright sun, there is a definite pulse of blue light, and the wounds closes and disappears.

Patriarch Fortugeld disembarks the ship again and speaks to the Marine.
Fortugeld
"Thank you for attending to him, Dragutin. You are indeed blessed with Garl's favor. Come, meet those who helped us."

inclines his head and comes with Fortugeld to meet the Adventurers.
Fortugeld
"Thank you again for your help, gentlemen. I will stay here with my ships for now while I send scouts into the city to gather information to help me plan my next action.
This is Dragutin Tadijanovic, a holy warrior in the service of Garl. If you would allow him to accompany you to your guildhall and introduce him to your guildmaster, I would be grateful. In fact, since time is of the essence, I could ask the bosun to dispatch a detail of men to help guard your ship while you are gone, if you feel your crew could use the assistance."

TwoCents will be roleplaying Dragutin as a cameo. As soon as you guys get back to the guildhall, things will be moing VERY quickly towards the end of the campaign in the Team IC thread - but if you want to do some more talking over some ale at the guildhall getting to know Dragutin, that can be done in the HQIC thread.

Daryk
2008-06-15, 08:15 AM

"Thank you, your eminence. I don't think the prisoners will be much trouble, but assistance securing the pier would be most appreciated. I suggest moving all the ships to a single pier to consolidate our defenses. Sampo could moor at the end of pier one while your flagship warps across," Marko explained.

Turning to Dragutin, he said, "Nice to meet you, sir. Give me a few moments to make arrangements with my crew, and we'll be on our way."

"Mr. Woetjans! Work with the Patriarch's men to arrange our defenses at a single pier," he ordered. Noting Woetjans' questioning look, he added, "Sampo is small enough to moor at the end, stern-to if all else fails. I'll be going ashore to confer with the guildmaster, but shouldn't be gone too long."

Orders given, Marko turned back to his fellow guildsmen and Dragutin, gestured toward the quay and asked, "Shall we, gentlemen?"

TwoCents
2008-06-15, 10:41 AM
Dragutin

Dragutin popped to attention when Fortugeld spoke to him, and practically glowed with happiness to be assigned a mission. The marine saluted Marko, "Likewise, Cap'n! Ready when you are, sir!," he added with a twinkle and a merry smile. Dragutin was tall and slender for a gnome, and what he lacked in strength he made up in charm.

Karaswanton
2008-06-15, 11:40 AM
Balthazar

Balthazar raises his eyebrow when the woman mentions she doesn't trust non-halflings.

Apparently dwarves are halflings now. That, or halflings can grow beards now. Ah, no matter. She was probably merely speaking unprecisely.

Yes, I think Ill go with the others to check out the guildhall.

Sledge_bro
2008-06-15, 11:43 AM
I don't see any reason not to go. Onward!

Sentinel started to whimper after he stepped onto the boat

Don't fret now boy

Omoris said to his hound

We will be back on dry land yet soon enough

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-15, 01:24 PM
Sorry I missed Omoris there! Between his shalmhound and his sling bullets, he didn't even need any magic to be deadly in the battle with the guards.

Balthazar leaves the paddy wagon and team of horses with the halflings and dwarves and rebel guards at the Bridge to help their effort, and returns to the docks and tells the others what he saw. Once Marko clarifies to Omoris that they will be traveling by land to the guildhall, the druid calls back Sentinel, who springs eagerly back the dock. Balthazar, Marko, Omoris & Sentinel, Durx, Sharn, and Dragutin make their way through side streets back to the guildhall, conversing with Dragutin to get to know him, but in quiet voices while keeping a wary eye on the streets, which are conspicuously empty.

Ulysses, Iva, Jeff, Shiela, and Althea ride back to the guildhall on four horses, also avoiding any guards - or anyone else. They arrive a little before their teammates on foot. Bil takes their horses and explains that the guild officers are gone at the moment but should return shortly. Ana, Kata, Klesha, and Verona are in the Common Room, and cooperate to provide the returning adventurers with washbasins and refreshments.

Did I miss anybody? Feel free to retroactively roleplay the journey to the guildhall as well as roleplay the whole team back together in the guildhall along with Dragutin and the NPCs, awaiting the return of the officers.

Daryk
2008-06-17, 05:04 AM

As Marko turned down the deserted street leading to the guildhall, he saw the rest of the team handing their horses over to Bil and remarked, "Ah, there they are now. I wonder what delayed them? I suppose we'll know soon enough."

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-17, 12:45 PM
The team united once again in the guildhall, they all take the time to make sure that everyone knows everyone, introducing Dragutin to the rest of the team, Kata and Ana (who receive him warmly) and Klesha and Verona (who are a little cooler toward the gnome paladin).

Then the officers return - Bruce, Eldon, Lankin - and they are accompanied by Guildmaster Merrill and three clerics of Obad-Hai, including the former High Priest, Maghlemuel of Obad-Hai. All of them are a little sweaty, and Merrill, Eldon, and Lankin are out of breath.

Bruce (growling)
"The Guard and their half-ogres are going from house to house taking money at spearpoint, and arresting every kobold and cleric of Obad-Hai they find. Our guildhall is probably next on their list - we locked the gate, so we should have some warning if they show up. Bil's watching. Were you able to warn the Patriarch? And who are you?" (looking at Dragutin)

Daryk
2008-06-17, 06:42 PM

Clearing his throat, Marko said, "Sir, this is Dragutin Tadijanovic from the Patriarch's retinue. We warned the Patriarch, but he insisted on landing, and there was a bit of a fight with the guards and their half-ogres. Three dead on their side. The Sampo is being moved to the same pier with both of the Patriarch's ships for increased security. We saw no further evidence of guards or half-ogres on our way here, though Ulysses and some of the others took a different route."

Marko paused, and looked expectantly at Ulysses and the others.

I figure we hadn't gotten around to swapping stories before the officers arrived.

souldoubt
2008-06-17, 07:39 PM
Ulysses nods to Marko to signal his willingness to take up the thread. He throws Bruce a sharp military salute, then catches himself. "Um... just an old habit," he explains before continuing. "No further run-ins with guards or half-ogres" -- he sounds like he can't decide whether to be relieved or wistful as he says this -- "but we did encounter what looked like a major halfling uprising in progress, with support from segments of the city guard, among others." He hastens to add, "Not a hostile encounter, thankfully."

Ulysses goes on to explain their meeting with Valspir as best he can.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-17, 07:42 PM
Shiela

"Wait a second."
Shiela's eyes light up when they lay upon High Priest Maghlemuel.
"Hes taking taxes... building funds... for the war? Of course he'd enlist the Guard to take the taxes, because hes using Goblins to fight the war... and he doesn't have to sacrfice any of his warriors...
I wonder if the half-ogres have anyhing to do with goblinoid affairs."
Sheila closes her eyes, concentrating and murmuring the rest in BattleCant - it helped her think.
"Which means hes going to use the taxes he gathers here to support the goblins, and when he doe - he'll eradicate them to "save" the Timber Valley. That way he'll be able to dupe the populace into rewarding him with Kingship. Big problem was the goblins.
I wonder if Maghlemuel ever got that letter...
Now it looks like it'll be too late... cut off the river at the source? Kill the Doge? How would we move about the city without getting the pointy end of the stick from the patrols?
Better yet..."
Sheila's eyes snapped open, and she stared at Bruce.
"How well do you think the Hall could stand a siege?" she asks before shifting her gaze to the High Priest
"Did anyone inform you that we found one of you druids murdered, recently? She was on her way here to give you a note...
Does anyone have that note on them?"
I'm assuming, as a Bridgeport citizen, she'd recognise the High Priest. Also, I've made up her little rant as a bit of fight-the-system Fighter-style paranoia. Thats why it was in Battlecant, so it wouldn't influence any of the other characters.

Daryk
2008-06-17, 08:00 PM

Marko's eyes widened when Shiela mentioned a siege. "Siege? If it's truly that bad, I suggest we evacuate those we can to the Sampo and a safe harbor," he said, casting an eye toward Kata and the other non-combatant guild staff. "If not, though, I think we can withstand another assault like the docks. Those half-ogres weren't so much next to Althea," he added appreciatively.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-17, 08:31 PM
Shiela

"By the Lady, I hope it is not!" Shiela replied.
"Worst case scenario and all. Plus, Althea was supercharged by magic on the docks. Our spellcasters need to rest before the team is ready to go full-tilt ito anything dangerous."
She sighed.
"Sadly, I don't know if we have the hours we need to have fully refreshed magi. The Doge... is a problem, I, for one am for cutting off the viper's head.
I'm also not sure the whole guild has the capability to do so. Unfortunatly, its the only idea I have.
I'm open to suggestions."

Daryk
2008-06-17, 08:53 PM

"Well, our 'whole guild' certainly couldn't do it alone, but if the halflings and part of the Guard are in open revolt, I can only imagine there are other guilds who might see things our way. The Doge must be breaking some kind of law," Marko offered.

Karaswanton
2008-06-17, 10:29 PM
Balthazar

Well, it sounds to me like we don't have much choice. I, for one am out of spells. Fortunately, that's why we have crossbows!

ArtifexFelicis
2008-06-17, 11:00 PM
"I would need some time to rest too, I can't go all out forever," Althea explained somewhat meekly. She was embarressed by her skill at times, though she was getting better.

"I don't think many of us would be very useful on the defending side of a siege, at least compared to an attack. I think that the ships may be safer for some time if these men are truly serious about attacking the Hall. Or even just paying them if it doesn't cost too much."

ArtifexFelicis
2008-06-17, 11:07 PM
"I would need some time to rest too, I can't go all out forever," Althea explained somewhat meekly. She was embarressed by her skill at times, though she was getting better.

"I don't think many of us would be very useful on the defending side of a siege, at least compared to an attack. I think that the ships may be safer for some time if these men are truly serious about attacking the Hall. Or even just paying them if it doesn't cost too much."

Sledge_bro
2008-06-18, 02:59 AM
Upon hearing the news, Omoris bristled with anger, drawing his sickle

WHAT! They shall pay a high price for discriminating Obad-Hai's chosen. TO ARMS!

Suddenly Omoris sighed, and put away his weapon

I guess there is not much we can do about it now though. I am quite tired myself. I guess dissgression will be the better part of valour.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-19, 01:14 AM
Maghlemuel, in his deep oratory voice, describes how some of the adventurers brought him the note and told him of the dead druid north of Bridgeport, and thanks Shiela for her concern. Then Bruce steps forward.

Bruce
"I think we should all stay at the guildhall for now. Eldon and I need to confer with Maghlemuel and Merrill before we decide what to do next. Everyone go get some rest, but have your equipment out and ready to put on at a moment's notice. For those of you who choose which spells to prepare, may I suggest combat-oriented magic. Dragutin, please make yourself at home, and once you have gathered the information you need, Lankin will give you a cloak to hide your armor and weapons and Bil will guide you back to the docks so you can give the Patriarch your report."

Daryk
2008-06-19, 05:08 AM

Marko nodded once at Bruce's order, then said, "Aye sir, but you should probably also know we have a few prisoners aboard the Sampo. Several of the wounded guards from the battle at the dock."

Karaswanton
2008-06-19, 12:31 PM
Balthazar

Rest. Yes, that is a good plan. Also, Bruce...

My command post was institued mostly to keep the peace between two members of my team. Furthermore, the new members seem to prefer a more informal type of command.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-19, 01:55 PM
If you wanted your character to do or say some more stuff, you can either do an "earlier..." post, or just use the HQIC thread if it is not really plot essential stuff.

Dragutin assures Marko that the gnome sailors will help protect the Sampo and guard the prisoners, and Bruce nods in approval.

Bruce, Eldon, Merrill, and Maghlemuel, and the other two clerics of Obad-Hai seclude themselves in the library for several hours. Eventually Eldon summons Dragutin to join them. Late that night, Dragutin declines the offer for escort by Bil, and leaves the guildhall to stealthily return to the docks to give Patriarch Fortugeld his report. Bruce and Eldon join the adventurers in the bunkroom to sleep, Bruce explaining gruffly that Maghlemuel and Merrill are staying in the Wrightson family's section of the guildhall (otherwise empty), and he turns aside all questions until the morning.

The next morning over breakfast, Bruce explains to everyone what was discussed in the library.

Bruce
"We discussed every bit of knowledge any of us had of recent events. We decided that, in agreement with the letter found on the dead druid, that there is something highly unnatural about the sudden appearance of large populations of goblins, and even more surprising, the large numbers of half-ogres we have seen in the city. We compared all the reports of the earliest sightings of monsters, especially from Maghlemuel's sources, and they all converge at one point - Broken Mountain, near Fishleap Shallows.
"According to an ancient legend recounted to us by Maghlemuel, a witch once lived on the slopes of that mountain. Indeed, the legends mention that she was surrounded by strange creatures - pets, you might say. Then one day the mountain exploded in a volcanic eruption, and of course that was the last anyone saw of the witch. All this was back in the times of ancient Zarif.
"We believe that whoever is sending invading armies of monsters into the Timber River valley is probably getting their power from some source at Broken Mountain, much as the ancient witch did, but on a much larger scale. The only way to save our civilization is to eliminate this threat.
"Thanks to the Doge arresting or intimidating anyone who would be a threat to him, Maghlemuel has no followers that he can send on this mission, other than his two novices here (indicating the two other clerics of Obad-Hai aside from Maghlemuel and Omoris), and they have no experience in matters of this sort. You Adventurers, on the other hand, have already proven yourselves to function well in dangerous situations as a multi-talented team.
"Maghlemuel has already sent for druids from the aeries of West Chester, and he will ask them to transport you and your equipment, in order for your team to infiltrate the defenses of Broken Mountain and neutralize the central threat, whatever it may be. The druids will arrive at dusk tonight. Prepare your spells accordingly. Lankin will outfit you with anything he has available in the equipment room.
"What are your questions?"

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-19, 06:53 PM
Shiela:

"This may seem out of place and selfish, but... do you know anything about my Dad? Is he okay?"

Daryk
2008-06-19, 07:09 PM

"When you say, 'transport', you mean by magic? Or would Sampo get us there faster? I'm not familiar with your inland geography, really. Also, I promised the crew I'd see them to Khorinis, and I'd like to make good on that promise, even if I don't return. They've served us well, and deserve at least that. Lastly, are you formally reorganizing our teams, or is that decision up to us?" Marko asked.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-20, 02:02 AM
Bruce
"I'm afraid I don't know anything about your father Shiela. Feel free to take some time to check on him today, but be cautious."
And do it in the HQIC thread.
"Marko, I assure you the mounts of the druids will get you to Broken Mountain far faster than the Sampo. And your men are probably better off in Bridgeport than they are in Khorinis, with a goblin army nearby. But of course, I will see to it that you are able to keep your promise.
"When I speak of your team, I mean the members of Teams Cougar and Team Dingo, combined together. As far as leadership or other roles, I leave that to you."

Daryk
2008-06-20, 05:41 AM

"Thank you, Bruce. I suppose I'm ready to travel, then. Information-wise, at least. Packing won't take me long, though," Marko said as he turned to head to the bunk room to fetch his hammock and other gear.

Bayar
2008-06-20, 09:56 AM
Jeff

I will keep my bow ready at all times to shoot any hostiles. Hehe, the first shot always hits it's target for some reason, but after that...they kinda scatter. Meh, slicing at close range is easier anyway.

Sledge_bro
2008-06-20, 11:38 AM
I will be ready to go in just a moment, after I have checked over Sentinel and collected my things

Very soon Omoris came back and asked

I almost forgot! Bruce, might I be inclined to ask you the nature of the mountain we will be facing? It would help considerably with the mission at hand, and could give us an advantage

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-20, 12:35 PM
Bruce
"The nature of the mountain? Hmm, it's not real high, being one of the westernmost mountains... beyond that I really don't know, I've never been there myself. It must be forested; that whole area is once you get a ways past Fishleap Shallows.

Interlude - Adventurers get ready - feel free to post retroactively for this...
That night at dusk, Bruce, Eldon, and Maghlemuel assemble all the adventurers, with their arms, armor, and light packs of equipment for the assault... on the roof. They stand in silence for a moment, then start to hear the soft flap of wings. Suddenly a giant owl lands on the roof before them, bearing a human druid on its back. The druid salutes Maghlemuel with his hand to his heart. Maghlemuel nods and speaks with him briefly. The owl-rider then beckons to the adventurers. Jeff steps forward and the owl stoops to allow him to mount behind the druid. Once he is secure, the owl flaps its wings and quietly springs up into the dark night sky. The other adventurers look up with awe and see multiple shadows circling above them, the stealthy owls queuing to pick up their passengers. Another owl lands and lowers its shoulder for a passenger. The look on the adventurers' faces is one of both anxiety and excitement, except for Omoris, who cries in dismay,

Omoris
"Oh no! How is Sentinel going to come with us?"

souldoubt
2008-06-20, 05:38 PM
"Faster than the Sampo indeed..." Ulysses mutters to himself with the usual ironic quirk of his lips, gazing at the enormous owl perched and ready for a passenger. Pushing aside the feeling of awe and disbelief welling up in him, he steps forward and climbs into the saddle.

Shouldn't be that much different from riding a horse...

He looks around at Omoris's dismayed exclamation, but, having no ready answer, allows the owl and its rider to waft them up into the sky.

Daryk
2008-06-20, 07:30 PM

At Omoris' dismayed cry, Marko asked, "Is there no one who can shrink him magically?"

Is there a 3rd level Druid in the house? Reduce Animal should do the trick nicely...

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-21, 01:49 AM
Earlier...
As soon as Bruse gave her leave, Shiela whirled on one foot, trailing the hem of her cloak behind her as she mounted a orse in the stables and spurred it into the city...
She returned, hours later, dirt-streaked, and immediatly poured herself a very generous mug of ale, refusing to talk to anyone and muttering under her breath, in low, quiet sobs.
An acute ear would hear words along the lines of.
"I don't know... can't be dead... should be alright. Maybe he paid them. Goddess, I hope hes okay."
Shiela let sleep eventually claim her as she sat at the table...
[hr]
Bruce woke her,and Shiela rolled off the table. She emptied her pack out except for the rope and torches, and slung that over er shoulder as she met everyone on the roof.
When the eagles came, she was too self-absorbed still to register Omoris's dismay, and simply climbed aboard.
"Lets hurry up and kill these [Battlecant] Vermin [/Battlecant"

Bayar
2008-06-21, 03:19 AM
Jeff

As a wise man once said...I gotta get me one of these !

Sledge_bro
2008-06-21, 03:34 AM
I guess you will have to stay out of this one boy. Pleaseguard this place until I come back. We won't be too long... here, take this

Omoris took out a hunk of meat and a loaf of bread from his sack, and laid them by Sentinel's feet

You be good now...

Biting his lower lip, Omoris turned and strode towards the owls, trying not to hear Sentinel's whimpers.

Sledge_bro
2008-06-21, 03:37 AM
I guess you will have to stay out of this one boy. Pleaseguard this place until I come back. We won't be too long... here, take this

Omoris took out a hunk of meat and a loaf of bread from his sack, and laid them by Sentinel's feet

You be good now...

Biting his lower lip, Omoris turned and strode towards the owls, trying not to hear Sentinel's whimpers.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-06-21, 01:11 PM
Althea simply slept for the most part, enjoying the comfort of the bed. She was woken by Bruce later, and she sleepily began to get ready. She hadn't been at the Guild Hall much, and most of her things hadn't even been unpacked yet. She simply picked up the small bag, slinging it over her shoulder, leaving little evidence that she had ever even been there.

The owls though woke her up quickly. They seemed monstrously huge and almost unnaturally silent, like some fell beast of legend. Though, they were also beautiful. Althea climbed on tentatively, scared of the large beast and what it might do to her.

"Please don't hurt me," Althea whispered to the bird before it took off. Althea would swear that the bird was laughing at her as well.

Karaswanton
2008-06-21, 05:39 PM
Balthazar

Owls? Why can't we stay on solid ground for once?

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-22, 12:36 PM
The owls bearing the adventurers soar into the darkening night sky, leaving Bruce, Eldon, Maghlemuel, and Sentinel on the roof of the guildhall below.
The wind makes it difficult for the adventurers to converse with the druid owl-handlers. Even after flying all night, when they land in a thicket of trees to rest, the druids speak no more than a few words of Common. They speak with Omoris briefly in Druidic - he gets out of them that they are all from the same village known as West Chester, in the mountains near the source of the Harvest River, which is co-located with a colony of these rare giant owls, which the druids train as flying mounts from the time they are hatchlings. The weary adventurers sleep and relax a little, as do the owls, then they take to the skies again at dusk.
Another twenty-four hours pass, and the adventurers start to adjust to their new schedule, though they are sore from all the flying, and most of them have not learned to relax the way the riders do when soaring high above the ground. Below them, they cross the North River sparkling in the moonlight, and the terrain turns to forest. They rise higher over some hills, then aim straight for a mountain with an oddly shaped summit, as if a piece is missing.
The owls circle and begin to spiral downward. As the slope of the mountain grows closer, the adventurers can pick out the lights of many torches, and then, the dark shapes of the people (or creatures!) who bear them. The druid handling the lead owl turn to his passenger (Jeff).

Druid
"Shall we land there?"
He points out that the torches are traveling up and down a path on the mountain that leads to some sort of structure a few hundred feet from the summit.

Jeff suggests that they land a little ways up the hill where they will be hidden, but still able to find the structure at the top of the path easily.
Choo-choo! Sorry.

The druid nods and directs his owl to bank steeply. The others follow. Jeff's owl lands on a rock outcropping on the pine-forested mountain a couple hundred feet above the structure, which is difficult to see in the dark. The other owls land one by one, dropping off their passengers and taking to the skies again. Finally the lead owl's handler says farewell to the adventurers.

Druid
"We must go. May nature provide you other allies for this mission."

The druid climbs back on his mount. The other owls circle discreetly above, waiting for their leader.

Daryk
2008-06-22, 05:17 PM

Marko patted the owl as he departed. Seeing the land from so far above was fascinating, but he still preferred the sea. Hopping down to the ground, the gnome unlimbered his crossbow and loaded it. In a low voice, he asked of the group, "Ok, what now? I suggest we send scouts down to look first."

souldoubt
2008-06-22, 05:24 PM
Ulysses stretches, finding himself invigorated from having been comfortably back in a saddle again, even such an unusual one, after a long dry spell.

"So what's the plan?" he says in a low voice. "I spotted quite a few lit torches down there."

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-22, 08:08 PM
Shiela

"Who do we have thats stealthy? Marko? Jeff? Omoris? Any one of you guys mind wearing the Tiara or necklace while you scout so we can see whats going on?"

Daryk
2008-06-22, 08:13 PM

"Tiara? Necklace? What are you talking about Shiela?" asked Marko, clearly interested.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-22, 08:43 PM
Shiela

"Erm, well... remember that Druid? Or rather - the druid I told Maghleumel about? She had a set of jewelry on her - mostly Cat's eye and hemp.
Long synopsis short, if I close my eyes while wearing one, and you're wearing the other, I can see what you see."

Daryk
2008-06-23, 05:29 AM

"Well, that certainly sounds useful. I think the necklace would be easier to hide, and I think I'm probably the stealthiest among us, so I'll go. I certainly wouldn't mind help, though, in case something unexpected happens," Marko said, scratching his chin.

Bayar
2008-06-23, 06:08 AM
Jeff

I am willing to scout ahead. And if I see something, I'll wait until you guys get closer before shooting it, ok ?

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-23, 07:08 AM
Shiela

"I'm not sure it looks that way, I think that I would see through the gem, itself, so if you wore it under your shirt, I'd just get an image of the inside of your shirt. Or maybe your chest.
I like you Marko, but not like that, sorry."
Shiela says with a somewhat coy half-smile.
"Besides, I'm already wearing the amulet,"
With this last statment, she reveals the amulet she had hidden under her shirt back on the boat.
"I think Iva has the circlet"

Just drawing from the scene where we figured out the cat's eyes' effect. Iva wore one, Shiela wore the necklace. Of course, this alos means, that if Iva has been waring th crown the whole time, shes had many visions of Shiela's chest!:smalleek:

Shades of Gray
2008-06-23, 09:13 AM
Earlier

Durx sat in his room, a light spell illuminating his paper.

Lord Orsik Ironbeard

Today I am venturing to the Broken Mountains, to combat whatever is altering the balance of nature, as detected by the Druids. I do not know what to expect, I might not return. If this is the only message you receive from me for the next month, expect the wort. If I fail today let it be known that I died because of m'lord's will, and may St. Cuthbert's arm guide me in my next life. I hope Clan Ironbeard will live strong, live long, and live with a stomach full of Ale.

Durx Ironbeard, Priest of St. Cuthbert

He seals the envelope and gives to Bruce to mail

Durx looks at the large Owl.

Y'sure s'big 'nuff?

Sledge_bro
2008-06-23, 10:18 AM
I am not a particulary stealthy person myself. I could take advantage of the terrain, but being honest, I am not very quiet when it comes to moving around...

Daryk
2008-06-23, 05:52 PM

"Right, sounds like Jeff and I will do the scouting, then," Marko said firmly. Pointedly looking up at Jeff, he grinned and said, "I think you're the best one to wear the tiara, long legs. And don't worry about me keeping up. I may be short, but I'm not slow."

Just a reminder that Marko is "Quick", and has a 30' movement rate.

Bayar
2008-06-24, 07:13 AM
Jeff

Taking the tiara and putting it on his head, Jeff says. Alright ! Lets move out. Drawing his bow, he notches an arrow and starts to slowly move.

[roll0] Hide
[roll1] Move Silently
Spot + Listen taking 10 getting 17 and 18 respectively.

OOC:

Just drawing from the scene where we figured out the cat's eyes' effect. Iva wore one, Shiela wore the necklace. Of course, this alos means, that if Iva has been waring th crown the whole time, shes had many visions of Shiela's chest! :smalleek:

Kawaii ! :biggrin:

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-24, 12:01 PM
Jeff moves without a sound through the pines, with Marko two paces behind him and the rest of the party waits back at the rally point in the trees just next to the rocky outcropping.

Jeff comes within 50 feet of the structure at the top of the trail and finds a good hiding spot, then motions for Marko to join him when there is a break in traffic.

They watch for twenty minutes. The structure looks like the entrance to a mine, with a wooden door such as you might see on a barn leading directly into the mountain. Two half-ogres guard the door. There must be some sort of tunnel or cave behind the door, because twice during those twenty minutes the adventurers see the half-ogres slide the door open, and a squad of eight identically clothed and armed goblins marches out, led by another goblin or a human with a torch. Various humans and goblins traveling on the trail pass in or out of the door every few minutes. There does not seem to be any sort of lock on the sliding door... just the two guards and the intermittent traffic are the problem.

Trulhammaren
2008-06-24, 12:28 PM
This is assuming that we can see what they see via the nifty stones, also assuming that we are trading off our side of the stones to whomever wishs to look for idea base.

Having watched through the necklace for a bit, Iva passes it along to whoever wants to look into it next. "From what I saw we basically have two main options, make a big ruckus by fighting our way through to the door, or sneaking in. Personally, I like the second option a bit better, but how to do that is a problem, I couldn't get a very good look at what anyone was wearing so I'm not sure if we could just pull a torch out and act as one of them, on the other hand I'm not sure what kind of reaction we would get if we set up some kind of really big distraction nearby in order to sneak in during the uproar. Any thoughts on this, anyone?"

With this being said, could we get a little more info on the trafficing Doc. Like approximate time intervals, if they are following any pattern that is, and the whole clothing thing if we would be able to make that out with the bad lighting.

Karaswanton
2008-06-24, 01:14 PM
Balthazar

Yes, I think stealth would better as well, but also harder. I think only Jeff and Marko are any good at it. Perhaps they could sneak in and we could begin a frontal assault?

Sorry about the time between posts. I'm not allowed to post at work, and I keep having problems with the board. Could we maybe use a different, more reliable board, such as Coyote Code for the sequel campaign?

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-25, 03:49 AM
The various pedestrians, aside from the squads of goblins, are dressed in no particular uniform, most of them wearing some type of light armor, all of them carrying some type of weapon. As Jeff and Marko watch from their observation point and the rest of the party watch from the rally point via the cat's-eye, it becomes apparent that anyone going in the door pauses to display something in their hand to the half-ogre guards, before the door is slid open for them.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-25, 04:27 AM
Shiela

The fighter was upset, any other situation, it would be normal for anyone to see the wheels turing, and her next set of words brought to light the fact that she just wasn't herself.
"We could just totally slaughter one patrol, drag their bodies off the main road and flash whatever everyoe else is flashing.
Or we could kill the gate guards. It shouldn't be hard to get the jump."

Roleplaying upset, bloodthirsty fighter. In a normal mood, Shiela would suggest knocking out as many members of the patrol as possible, interogating one, and then bluffing past the guards.

Daryk
2008-06-25, 05:35 AM

Marko whispered to Jeff, "I think we should wait for a space when there's only one coming up to the door, then jump all three. Do you think we can take three quietly?"

Bayar
2008-06-25, 07:08 AM
Jeff whispered back: Dont think so. If there were 2, possible. Three...kinda dificult. If we manage to shoot down all three of them at once, maybe it would be easier, bit it's not like we can beg them to stand in line to be pierced by the same projectiles...

Daryk
2008-06-25, 07:24 PM

Marko frowned, and considered for a moment. Then he whispered, "How about if we ambush and replace one on the path, then jump the two guards?"

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-26, 08:42 AM
The adventurers wait. Eventually the traffic dies down until the only creatures they see are the two half-ogres at the door, and one lone torch about 300 feet down the path, moving closer, though it is uncertain if there are not other creatures in the dark which they cannot see.

Sledge_bro
2008-06-26, 11:02 AM
Omoris took his voice down to a low whisper

Now with these two brutes guard the door, what is our plan of action? I think we should hide until whatever is carrying that torch to make themselves known.

souldoubt
2008-06-26, 11:31 AM
Ulysses frowns thoughtfully. "Getting a hold of whatever it is they're showing the guards might prove useful, but ambushing a whole group of them is going to be messy and noisy -- it's bound to attract some attention." He chews his lip. "I'm not big on the sneaky approach, but all my instincts tell me that just charging the front door would not be a good strategy here. Any other ideas of how we could get one of their... sigils, or whatever they are? Or maybe there's another entrance somewhere?"

Bayar
2008-06-26, 04:12 PM
Hmm...we could, but judging by the size of those two, one hit wont be enough to take them out. We should go back to the others and report.

Feel free to godmode me :smallbiggrin:

Daryk
2008-06-26, 08:41 PM

"There's one, now," Marko whispered. With a grim look, he asked, "Shall we?"

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-27, 12:29 PM
The lone torch-bearer comes closer up the trail. He is visible to Jeff and Marko (and therefore the rest of the party via cat's-eye), but low enough in elevation that he is not visible to the door-guards... yet. Jeff and Marko can't make out exactly what race he is or how he is armed, but they can now see that he is alone.

Daryk
2008-06-27, 06:39 PM

Marko looked at Jeff for only a moment, then turned to take his shot. It wouldn't be long before the opportunity was lost entirely. Aiming, he whispered, "You better get over there to finish him off if I miss, Jeff. Or catch his torch if I hit. I think this is our only shot."

Marko moves to be within 30' (while the target is still out of sight of the guards) if necessary.
Attack roll: [roll0]
Critical confirm (if necessary): [roll1]
Damage (if necessary): [roll2]
Sneak attack damage (if necessary): [roll3]
Critical damage (if necessary): [roll4]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-28, 12:37 PM
Marko's shot goes wide - wide enough that his target did not even see it, though he does stop walking and looks around in the darkness, perhaps puzzled by the sound of the bolt. The rest of the adventurers start creeping up towards the trail verrrry slowly. (Taking 20)

Daryk
2008-06-28, 03:53 PM

Marko held his breath as his shot went wide, and continued to hold it while the target looked around for what had caused the sound. The gnome quietly but quickly reloaded his crossbow, and took aim again, silently reciting a prayer to Ahto this time. Before squeezing the trigger, he made sure Jeff was in position.

Ok, let's try this again, with a little less cockiness...
To hit: [roll0]
Damage (if necessary): [roll1] + Sneak Attack: [roll2]

Bayar
2008-06-28, 04:37 PM
((sry, couldnt reply earlier))

Jeff also takes aim and shoots towards the man.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-29, 07:07 AM
Marko's second crossbow bolt strikes the man in the left shoulder, causing him to spin around and stumble. Then Jeff's arrow punches deep into the man's side. He drops his torch and falls on his face.

Jeff and Marko look around. The coast is still clear, and the man is below the crest of the hill where the half-ogres are. They hurry down to where the man lies on the trail. He is wearing leather armor, has a mace on his belt, and is unconscious.

Daryk
2008-06-29, 07:14 AM

Marko quickly handed Jeff the man's torch and whispered, "Probably need to keep this up and moving to avoid suspicion. I'll take care of the body."

That said, Marko set about dragging the man and any other gear he may have dropped off the trail. Once secure out of sight, he rifled through the man's pouches for any sort of token.

Search: [roll0]
If he finds anything that looks like it might be a pass, he'll run it up to Jeff before he crests the hill. Either way, when he's done with the body, he reloads his crossbow, and moves to where he can shoot (sneak attack) one of the guards.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-29, 07:40 AM
Marko finds a plain, inexpensive looking dagger, nine silver coins, and what at first looks to be a star ruby, but as he holds it closer to the torchlight Marko quickly sees the scratches on it and realizes it is a bit of colored glass.

By this time, the rest of the team has crept up to where Jeff and Marko are, next to the trail, below the crest of the spur of the mountain that the guarded doorway is on.

Iva
"You'll want to put that torch out if we plan on staying hidden off the side of the trail."

Shades of Gray
2008-06-29, 08:50 AM
Balthazar, what can you see?

OOC: he's referring to Balthazar's darkvision. I assume he has a better grasp on the situation.

Bayar
2008-06-29, 09:58 AM
Jeff

As Jeff moves around the path with the torch to avoid suspicion, he whispers: Found anything useful ? Because I think I could go towards the guards and try to get in. I shoud drop my bow and longsword with you guys, get that mace and conceal my shortsword though.

Daryk
2008-06-29, 12:50 PM

Marko nodded as Jeff asked for the mace. He quickly disengaged it from the body's belt, and exchanged the mace and the piece of glass for Jeff's sword and bow. Diving back into the bushes, he handed off the too-long gear to someone larger, reloaded his crossbow, and proceeded parallel to the path to where he could shoot the half ogres.

That would be somewhere within 30 feet of them, hidden. Do you need hide/move silently rolls, or can Marko take 10?

Karaswanton
2008-06-29, 10:32 PM
Balthazar

Let me think a minute. Yes, let's put out the torches.

Doc: Do I see anything better with my darkvision? Can I see what the potential victim is, and what he is armed with?

Sledge_bro
2008-06-30, 12:38 PM
I am glad I didn't bring Sentinel

Omoris mumbled in an almost inaudible whisper

His prescense could have jepordised the mission at hand...

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-07-01, 09:35 AM
Jeff, now equipped with the fallen man's equipment and torch, wastes no time in continuing up the trail, lest more persons appear from either up or downhill. The other adventurers follow him as far as a pair of large boulders just at the crest of the trail. Balthazar risks a peek around one of the boulders and quietly describes what he sees to the others:

Jeff boldly walks the remaining 80 feet, right up to the door into the mountain. One of the half-ogres reaches to open the door, but pauses with his hand on the handle, as the other half-ogre steps in front of Zan.

Half-Ogre Guard (in Common)
"Alright, let's see it."

Both of the monsters have naked falchions in their hands.

I will need a Bluff check from Jeff if he plans on giving the guards the impression that he belongs in this situation.

Bayar
2008-07-01, 10:50 AM
Jeff

Whatever, just hurry up...showing the "pass".

[roll0]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-07-01, 12:45 PM
After Jeff shows the guard the piece of red glass, the half ogre steps aside, and the other half-ogre pulls open the door for Jeff, stepping to Jeff's other side. Ahead of him, Jeff sees a short (~15 feet), empty passageway with steps going down at its far end, and beyond that, a large cavern lit by a red glow. Jeff cannot see the floor of the cavern from where he stands at the entrance to the mountain.
Balthazar lets the others behind the boulder know that the door is opened for Jeff.

Marko
"Now are we supposed to be part of Jeff's party under the the same pass, or is Jeff going in by himself, or do we shoot it out now that the door is open?"

Sorry, if my rushing things has created an awkward situation.

Karaswanton
2008-07-01, 11:05 PM
Balthazar

I think we should go for it shortly after they close the doors.
We can take out the ogres quickly, without the sound reaching inside. Then Jeff can double back and let us in.

Balthazar takes out his crossbow and slowly approaches the edge of the bush. Before Jeff shows them the pass, Balthazar casts Message while Jeff is still visibile.

Jeff, it's me, Balthazar. We are going to organize an attack very soon. Be on your guard, but don't have your weapons drawn yet--it would be suspicious. I'll let you know when we make our move. You'll have to double back and let us in. Be careful!

Bayar
2008-07-02, 06:37 AM
Jeff moves closer to the cavern, but makes sure that he is close enough to get back to the door in case something goes wrong.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-07-02, 08:54 AM
The half-ogres close the door behind Jeff. Jeff, halfway through the passage to the stairs, can see more of a huge cavern and a brighter red glow, but is not yet looking down to the floor of it yet.

Sledge_bro
2008-07-02, 11:37 AM
Omoris withdrew his sickle

I could conjure up some sort of distraction, or might it ruin our element of suprise?

Thanatos 51-50
2008-07-02, 07:29 PM
Shiela's sword and shield practically jump into a ready position of ehr own accord.
"We finally get to the bloodshed?"
Shes obviously still upset about Bridgeport and not being able to find her father.

Karaswanton
2008-07-02, 08:28 PM
Balthazar

Could you use it to draw them closer?Hmm. Say, how tough are those half-ogres Omoris? They might be too strong for my Color Spray.

Balthazar needs to know how many HD the half-ogres have. Knowledge nature isn't something he put ranks in. Hence, he asks the druid. :P

Sledge_bro
2008-07-03, 10:59 AM
Well... I am not particulary sure about what those brutes actually are, but they seem to have some ogre blood in them at least...

Knowledge (Nature) [roll0]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-07-03, 02:44 PM
The adventurers wait while Omoris thinks for a moment.

Omoris
Color spray works on humans, but not on giants, right Balthazar? In that case I'm just not sure... these half-ogres are somewhere in the middle. I guess it just depends how tough they are.

Meanwhile, Jeff is wondering what is taking the rest of the party so long to attack. He's certain that he won't be alone in this entry tunnel for long.

Karaswanton
2008-07-03, 04:30 PM
Balthazar

Well, I for one prefer to be optimistic. I'll get the spell ready, see if you can use a distraction to bring them over here.
We should move as quickly as possible.
I want everyone to be prepared if the spell doesn't work, or only works partially. If it does work then we slit their throats once their down. If it doesn't, then we take them down the old-fashioned way--lots of stabbing.

I only have so many spells and I have a feeling we are in for the long haul here, so I want to reserve my resources if at all possible. If I don't make it, make an owl-like hoot for Jeff to open the door.

To Jeff:

Jeff, we are going to try to distract the guards to come over here and take care of them. After that I'll contact you with this mental link. If I don't make it, one of us will hoot like an owl for you to open the door. Stay safe until we get to you!

Sledge_bro
2008-07-04, 12:41 PM
Soon I am going to infuse this sling bullet with the power of light and then launch it high into the air slightly behind us. If they come towards our position or where ever it lands, they will be closer anyhow.

Either that or I could summon an Owl or such, but isn't our signal an owl's hoot?

Bayar
2008-07-04, 01:52 PM
Erm..Ok ? Hey ! How do you work this things ? Are you in my head or something ?

Jeff will continue to move down the corridor slowly, but listening for owl hoots.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-07-05, 05:25 AM
Omoris whips a shining bullet into the air, brighter than a flaming arrow. Balthazar watches as the half-ogres take notice. One gestures to the other, who nods and reaches over his shoulder where there is a bit of rope hanging from a beam. He pulls on the rope, then the two guards return to their usual posture, but looking more alert now.

Inside the mountain Jeff hears a the crash of mighty gong echoing everywhere, then a buzz like that of a disturbed hive of insects. He whispers back via the still-functioning message spell:

Jeff
"Uh, guys, I think somebody just sounded an alarm."

Balthazar relays Jeff's message to the others.

Marko (grimly, with a nod to Shiela, who already has her blade drawn)
"Let's do this!"

Marko spins out from the cover of the boulders, his heavy crossbow tight in his shoulder, and lets a bolt fly at the half-ogre who pulled on the rope.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Plus sneak attack which I forgot to roll. I'm rolling a real-life d6 right now... OK, adding 3 HP of damage.

Marko's bolt punches into the half-ogres abdomen. It is breathless for a moment, then it roars in rage and points at Marko. The wounded half-ogre stays at the (closed) door and pulls the rope a few more times, the gong shockingly loud in Jeff's ears. The other half-ogre begins to charge toward the adventurers, swinging his falchion over his head. Marko ducks back behind the boulder to reload as the half-ogre comes close.

OK, the charging guard is range for a melee attack now and the adventurers have the initiative. The other guard is still 80 feet away.

Karaswanton
2008-07-05, 09:15 AM
Balthazar

Oh dear sweet Moradin...Please let this work.
I hoped to get both of them in the spell, but this is the best I can do.

I really should have prepared Mage Armor today instead of all these offensive spells. Ah well, that's life.

Balthazar casts a spell, and pretty lights shoot out in a cone.
Color Spray, Will DC 14

Jeff, get the hells out of there. See if you can get a suprise attack on the wounded ogre near the door. Don't risk it if you aren't sure.

Bayar
2008-07-05, 12:36 PM
Ok, lets rock this joint !

Drawing his cudgel and shortsword, Jeff heads towards the door.

If unlocked, he will open it and stab the wounded abomination.

If locked, he will knock on it saying: I heard the alarm. Is everything alright there ?

[roll0] +5 if allowed only one attack (Shortsword)
[roll1]

[roll2] Ignore if not allowed to attack with it...(cudgel)
[roll3] dunno how much damage it does...

Sledge_bro
2008-07-05, 02:49 PM
Sentinel, Att-...

Omoris shook his head and slung a stone at the guard.

Attack [roll0] And damage [roll1]

Shades of Gray
2008-07-06, 01:31 PM
Durx's eyes glow white, as he grows twice his size.

Strength of St. Cuthbert, give me the power to crush the agents of dismay. Let nothing stand in our way!

Durx draws his mace and shield and runs towards the enemy (not in melee range yet)

Thanatos 51-50
2008-07-06, 05:50 PM
Forgoing the lengthy, flavor-filled post of past consumption by data vampires:
Shiela bursts out of the foilage and charges the nearby guard, elivering a shield bash when in range.
[roll0][roll1]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-07-07, 12:16 PM
Jeff bursts back out of the mountain and attacks the injured half-ogre, but misses. His foe whirls about and swings his falchion at the ranger.
[roll0][roll1]
Pain sears throughout Jeff as he feels multiple ribs snap and blood spurts from the deep gouge slashed in his chest by the falchion. He struggles to stay on his feet and blinks furiously to clear his vision. Sharn sees him faltering and runs around the boulders and through the trees to get close enough to help him.

Omoris' bullet misses the uninjured half-ogre, and he wishes all the more that Sentinel were there with him.

Shiela, leaping off a low rock, bashes her spiked shield directly into the half-ogre's neck and leathery cheek, and sticky blood spurts from the monster.

Ulysses and Althea swing their swords. Their flank attack is more than what the monster expected.
[roll2][roll3][roll4][roll5]

The monster sees Althea first and deflects her blow, but Ulysses' blade bites deep into the kidney area and the half-ogre roars in pain, swinging his falchion backhand at his new assailant. Ulysses jumps back to press himself against a boulder, but the blade still shears along his scalp, opening a shallow but still grievous and heavily bleeding wound.

Bayar
2008-07-07, 03:12 PM
Jeff

I'm on your side you idiot ! I just tripped on a rock with my weapons drawn towards you ! Take care of the intruders !

Thinking he wont be fooling anyone soon, Jeff decides to better let the others fight. The wound was too serious to risk another attack, so he decides to withdraw from combat and attempt to hide in the nearby forest.

Withdrawing from combat as a full round action. Trying to hide as part of the movement in case I get cover from trees: [roll0]

Oh, and free action to speak. Only 23 words, 24 if you are counting the 'm.

Sledge_bro
2008-07-07, 03:43 PM
Omoris quickly reloaded his sling and took yet another shot at the least- wounded half ogre

Feel the sting of Obad-Hai!

Attack Roll [roll0] If Crit [roll1] and damage [roll2]

Thanatos 51-50
2008-07-07, 07:04 PM
Shiela

After dropping to the deck and shield-bashing her foes, she withdraws the bloody shield from her opponent.
In the same, swift motion, she rips the air about the scimiatr and draws it underneath the ogre's belly.

[roll0][roll1]

Shades of Gray
2008-07-07, 08:48 PM
Durx raises his massive mace above his head and wings it in a downward arc.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Shades of Gray
2008-07-07, 08:49 PM
Woops, previewed.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Thanatos 51-50
2008-07-07, 11:31 PM
[roll0][roll1]

Thats supopsed to be +4, obviously. Doing a bit of math, here:
-3 +4 = 1 =4 = 5 points of damage, not -3 :smalleek:

Shades of Gray
2008-07-08, 07:16 AM
... server was busy. Trying AGAIN.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-07-10, 08:12 AM
Shiela's scimitar hits the creature, but unfortunately in the thickest part of its hide armor and does not do any damage. No matter, Omoris lands another bullet smack on its forehead, and as the monster wavers, Durx smashes it to the ground with his mace.

Jeff dives into a pile of pine needles, knowing he is within an inch of his life. The half-ogre at the gate starts after him, but Sharn stands between him and the wounded ranger. Sharn and the wounded half-ogre stare each other down, and the half-ogre starts to sidestep in a semicircle, sizing up his foe and trying to get in a better position, cornering Sharn and giving him access to Jeff. Then the half-ogre hears someone run up behind him. He spins around just in time to catch a vivid cone of clashing colors right in his face, springing forth from the hands of Balthazar.

[roll0][roll1][roll2]

The half-ogre falls to the ground and twitches a few times, clawing at his eyes before he lies still and unconscious. The door into the mountain is open.

Karaswanton
2008-07-10, 09:50 AM
Balthazar attempts to deliver a Coup de Grace. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#coupdeGrace) He smashes the end of his quarterstaff into the half-ogres head.

Sorry bud, nothing personal, but If I don't do this you'll just wake up and come after me. Self-preservation and whatnot.
[roll]

[roll0]
[roll1]
Fort save DC 10+1/2 damage dealt

Sledge_bro
2008-07-10, 11:07 AM
Now that problem is out of the way. Shall we continue?

souldoubt
2008-07-10, 11:24 AM
With a trailing end of his cloak, Ulysses wipes blood from his eyes as it seeps down from the cut on his scalp.

"No turning back now."

I'm back. :smallbiggrin:

How much damage did Ulysses take?

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-07-10, 12:43 PM
Balthazar checks... it doesn't look like the monster will be causing them any more problems.

Jeff comes out from his hiding place, covered with blood and pine needles.

The door into the mountain is open. Looking inside, the adventurers can see a short tunnel and some sort of cavern beyond it, lit by a red glow.

Shades of Gray
2008-07-10, 04:02 PM
y'look hurt Jeff

CLW replacing Inflict Light wounds

[roll0]

Bayar
2008-07-19, 04:52 PM
Jeff

Dunno if I look hurt, but I feel hurt as hell. But I'm starting to feel better now, thanks. We better be ready for company, heard some loud noises inside, think the alarm went off... Jeff tries to dust off the needles from himself, but being mixed with blood doesnt make it too easy.
Does anyone know a spell that washes the gore off of someone ?

Daryk
2008-07-20, 08:03 AM

Looking up from his now loaded crossbow, Marko said quietly, "As a matter of fact, I do..."

Ok, it's a spell like ability rather than an actual spell, but Prestidigitation should do the trick. Also, not that it was needed, but Marko has the "Rapid Reload" feat that cuts reloading his crossbow to a move action from a full round one.

A wave of his hand later, Marko asked, "Better?"

Bayar
2008-07-20, 09:09 AM
Jeff

Wait...you spell-wielders actually created a spell that cleans stuff? It was supposed to be more of a joke... :eek:

Daryk
2008-07-20, 09:30 AM

"Well, it's not so much a 'cleaning' charm as a 'do whatever I need' thing. My people have always had some minor talent with magic, and our gods have blessed us with some measure of control," Marko said.

Sledge_bro
2008-07-20, 11:26 AM
Omoris put away his sling and withdrew His sickle

That's me prepared.

Good thing the forums are back!

Karaswanton
2008-07-20, 01:15 PM
Balthazar

Prestigitation is a minor spell, it's of limited use in combat, but it's good for minor effects.

Daryk
2008-07-20, 02:04 PM

Giving Balthazar a short nod, Marko said, "Well, yes, but that's all that was called for." Turning back to the rest of the group, he asked, "I think we should at least drag the bodies out of sight, and maybe post two of us to jump any others coming up the path while the rest of us proceed into the mountain. Any other ideas?"

Bayar
2008-07-20, 03:31 PM
Jeff

I'll just wait in the bushes with my bow ready to fire at anything that comes out of the cave.

By the way, who has my bow ?

Daryk
2008-07-20, 05:14 PM

"Uh, sorry Jeff. I was kind of preoccupied with going through pockets, and didn't exactly see who I ended up handing your bow to," Marko said, a bit embarrassed.

I checked (post #699). Marko (and I) really don't know who has Jeff's sword and bow. All I posted was "someone larger"... :smallredface:

Edit: Ummmm... any volunteers?

ArtifexFelicis
2008-07-21, 09:00 PM
"Don't worry about it," Althea replied. She handed the bow back to Jeff, catching the last bit of conversation after cleaning her blade quickly.

"I think I could stay behind for now. I'm not sure how useful I could be with a greatsword swinging around in a tunnel."

We've all made mistakes, don't worry. Sides, I needed something to come back. :smallwink:

Daryk
2008-07-21, 09:11 PM

"Ok, so Althea and Jeff will stay behind and jump anyone else who comes up the path. I think the rest of us had better get into the tunnel before that happens. Any objections?" asked Marko, readying his crossbow and heading for the tunnel.

Sledge_bro
2008-07-22, 01:58 PM
Sounds like a plan. Is there any particular order we going inside should rank up in, or not?

Daryk
2008-07-22, 07:10 PM

"Well, I think the stealthy ones, er, one I guess, should go first to scout. After that, I think the shorter folks should be in front so the ones in back can shoot over their heads if need be. Of course, I could be wrong, there. Anyone else have a better idea?" Marko asked, walking into the cave.

I don't think there's any harm in spinning out the discussion a bit with Doc out.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-08-01, 11:06 AM
The traffic on the mountain trail seems to have ceased as the first glimmerings of dawn appear on the eastern horizon. Marko advances into the cave, past where Jeff had ventured, and reaches the end of the short tunnel, finding himself on a landing at the intersection of two tall stairs set at a 90 degree to each other, each running dizzily down the side of a cavern with a roughly square perimeter.
In the floor of the cavern below is a river of lava that runs through or under a mesa jutting up from the center of the chamber. There is no-one on the stairs and no-one seems to notice Marko, as the scene on the floor of the cavern is completely chaotic. Some people are fighting at a bridge over the lava river to Marko's left, and some are trying to push large cages toward the river close to where it disappears into the mesa. To the right of the mesa someone is banging a gong furiously and a few other people stand near where the lava resurfaces from under the mesa, with some type of long polearms or similar tools. There are also a handful of people standing on the top of the mesa, watching the battle below them.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/AdvGuild/cv-1.jpg

Good guys are blue. Bad guys are pink. Ignore tthe black dot above the words "men and ogres," that was a mistake.

Karaswanton
2008-08-01, 05:49 PM
Balthazar

The dwarf moves ahead, and if within range(ie, not more than one range increment away), he attempts to shoot one of the goblins with a crossbow.
If he is more than one rangre increment away, he does a double move action.

Attack roll:[roll0]
Damage roll: [roll1]