PDA

View Full Version : What game would you recommend me?

Heroic
2007-12-18, 11:26 AM
Well, as you all may know, Xmas is coming; so its a good time to renovate PS2 games, I am currently out of ideas. So, as a RPG, acton, adventure, that kind of stuff, lover, what games do you recommend me?

Just wanted to know whats the best currently

Thanks

Eakin
2007-12-18, 12:22 PM
I enjoyed Odin Sphere, which touches on all three categories you mentioned. Depending on what you already own, there's probably a ton of "greatest hits" titles that you would like, and they're only $20 each.

Mr. Mud
2007-12-18, 12:37 PM
I really Enjoyed God of War. Its rated M for Mature, but if can buy it, I highly recommend it.

Mordokai
2007-12-18, 01:12 PM
I hear nothing but good things about Shadow of the Colossus. (http://www.us.playstation.com/PS2/Games/Shadow_of_the_Colossus/OGS/)

Mr. Mud
2007-12-18, 01:20 PM
Meh, Shadow of the Colossus (http://www.us.playstation.com/PS2/Games/Shadow_of_the_Colossus/OGS/) was a fairly great game, but it lacks a lot of Combat. Still, very fun.

Oeryn
2007-12-18, 03:07 PM
I don't really have a lot of PS2 RPG experience, but as far as action-adventure titles go, I'd recommend Gun if you dig Westerns. Second Sight was a great game as well, and criminally overlooked. I got my copy for $3 at Gamestop.

The Champions of Norrath series is pretty fun, if you're in the mood to make a character, beat on wave after wave of bad guys, and collect new and exciting loot.

Ratchet and Clank is also a great series, as are the Sly Cooper games.

Tormsskull
2007-12-18, 04:08 PM
The Champions of Norrath series is pretty fun, if you're in the mood to make a character, beat on wave after wave of bad guys, and collect new and exciting loot.

I'll second this. It is also great that you can bring 3 friends along with you in your adventures.

Another game in the same style (but I believe was done earlier, looks better, and is more plot-driven) is Baldur's Gate I and II. I'm pretty sure both are available on the PS2. Both of these games are a max of 2 players instead of CoN's 4, but they are a lot of fun.

Lord Shplane
2007-12-18, 04:29 PM
I second God of War/God of War 2.

Also Shadow of the Colossus looks fun, though I never got a chance to play it. Also any Final Fantasy game for the PS2.

Oeryn
2007-12-18, 04:34 PM
Another game in the same style (but I believe was done earlier, looks better, and is more plot-driven) is Baldur's Gate I and II. I'm pretty sure both are available on the PS2. Both of these games are a max of 2 players instead of CoN's 4, but they are a lot of fun.

They ARE technically available on the PS2, but I didn't bring them up because of a conversation I had with the manager of the local Gamestop. Apparently, they didn't make a lot of the Baldur's Gate games, so they're pretty hard to come by. They have the first game (used) at my GS, but it's $50+. I asked why, since it's several years old at this point, and he said it was due to scarcity. Apparently, GS will buy those two games back for $35, anywhere in the country.

Granted, I don't know how much the local Gamestop guy has his finger on the pulse of the entire country, but that's what he told me. I wanted to pick up the BG games, since my wife and friends and I really enjoyed the CoN series, but due to the fact that I can hardly ever find 'em (and they're $50+ if I do), I just rented 'em.

I'd definitely recommend the BG series, but I hope you have better luck than me finding them.

Driderman
2007-12-18, 06:18 PM
Regarding the Baldurs Gate series, I can assure you that they are very scarce indeed. At Gamestop here in Denmark we charge something along what amounts to 20-30$ for a used version of Baldurs Gate II and Baldurs Gate I is impossible to come by.

Lord Shplane
2007-12-18, 06:23 PM
Sorry about the double post. My internet died on me when I was about to delete the other one a few hours ago.

Heroic
2007-12-18, 06:24 PM
Wow thanks very much for your recommendations!

Hehehe, its time to spend family money :smallamused:

ajw79
2007-12-18, 06:35 PM
Weirdness...

My local gamestop has several copies of the first baldur's gate on ps2 for about $10 a piece. It wasn't ever scarce to my knowledge, it was released as a greatest hits at $20 and you can still find them new in stores around here.

The second one however... good luck finding it for under $50 used.

Both of them were great games and have my recommendation.

I'd also look at picking up the genesis collection for the ps2 if for no other reason than you can get phantasy star 2, 3 and 4 for $20. The graphics suck by today's standards, but I love the older style RPG's.

Icewalker
2007-12-18, 07:32 PM
Ratchet and Clank. one through four. (Ratchet and Clank, Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando, R&C Up Your Arsenal, Ratchet: Deadlocked.) Each game has better gameplay than the last, but I definitely think it's worth getting all four. 1 introduces a few characters and a bit of background, 2 is skippable...but fun. 3 is excellent, and 4 is a simpler plot, but better gameplay.

Awesome games, actiony games with good story, and hilarious. It's running around blowing stuff up style of play.

Of course, now 5 is out on PS3, I've played most of it at a friend's, and it is also awesome, and has a bigger storyline involving Ratchet's past. Also, the graphics are crazy, and the ending sets it up to actually have another bigger storyline game in 6, based around Clank.

Yeah, God of War is excellent, but probably about as deserving of an M rating as GTA...or more.

Devil May Cry 3, is good, better gameplay than RPG and also more of an action game, and if you don't get the Special Edition it's pretty much impossible...

Shadow of the Colossus...ok. I got it, played about halfway through and stopped. The fights are very cool, but getting to them is boring and rather extensive, and the game has an estimated 0 plot.

Reinboom
2007-12-18, 07:43 PM
I personally like Okami.
It's zelda-esque (adventure rpg), rather interesting style of game overall, and a very pretty art style.

Artanis
2007-12-18, 08:22 PM
FWIW, you can probably get a bunch of Final Fantasy games on the cheap.

Hoggy
2007-12-19, 05:26 AM
Okami/Shadow of the Colossus = win.

Also, when Tormsskull says thus:

I'm assuming he means Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2, which are far more similar to CoN than the original BGs. Personally, I loved the DA series. :smallamused:

Heroic
2007-12-20, 08:09 PM
Apart from those, maybe I'll get some James Bond games. Like 'em very much :smallamused:

Lord_Butters_I
2007-12-20, 09:10 PM
For 360: Call of Duty 4, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Orange Box
For PS3: Uncharted, Warhawk, UT3, also CoD4
For Wii: Get a new system. Commentary aside, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3.
I have no suggestions for PC games.