PDA

View Full Version : The Improviser

Quxelopqr
2007-12-18, 12:43 PM
The Improviser
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Wing It|1|

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Dodge Expert, Lucky Shot|2|0

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|-|2|1|

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Persuasive|2|1|

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|-|3|1|0

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|-|3|2|1|

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Dodge Master|3|2|1|

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+6|
+6|Lucky Shot 2/day|3|3|2|0

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+6|
+6|Jack of all Trades|3|3|2|1|

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+7|
+7|Improved Wing It|3|3|2|1|

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+7|
+7|-|3|3|3|1|0

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|Dodge Savant|3|3|3|1|1

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|-|3|3|3|2|1

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+9|
+9|Lucky Shot 3/day|3|3|3|2|1|0

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+9|
+9|-|4|3|3|3|1|1

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|Slippery Mind|4|4|3|3|2|1|

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|-|4|4|4|3|2|1|0

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+11|-|4|4|4|3|3|2|1

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11|-|4|4|4|3|3|2|2

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+12|Lucky Shot 4/day, Master Improviser|4|4|4|4|3|3|3[/table]

"Just what the hell was that?" -A wizard, after watching an improviser launch his magic missles from a cannon-like object materializing over his shoulder.

While wizards gain power through study and clerics gain power from their Gods, there are some who learn to control magical energy through their own vivid imaginations. These individuals, though rare, are very powerful and unpredictable. Using nothing more then the power of their imagination, they come up with seemingly new ways to use spells each time they cast them.

Abilities
Charisma is very important for improvisers, as their personality ties into their imaginations and therefore the source of their powers (their spells are charisma based). Dexterity and constitution are also useful for improvisers, as they can only use their spells a few times per day and will find themselves dead if they cannot hold their own in combat.

Role
An improviser's role in the party is similar to that of a bard or sorceror. They often find themselves the face of a group, and are a useful backup to the party's wizard on occasion.

Background
Everyone has a different way of thinking and envisioning things. Improvisers are those who use their imaginations to power spells. The ideas behind it were discovered one day when a budding improviser (who thought he was a sorceror) fell off of a bridge. As he fell, he tried to cast feather fall, but instead of merely falling slowly, he noticed that seemingly sprouted from his back were a large number of balloons. Once he landed on the riverbank below, the balloons disappeared. He researched into alternate ways of casting, and finding none that described what he had done, he decided to create his own. As such, the improviser was born.

Organization
None, although improviser's will occasionally share ideas with each other. They typically have no animosity towards one another, but they look down on copying or stealing another's ideas.

Alignment
Any non-lawful. The dependance on rules constricts the all important mind and imagination of the improviser, and as such they prefer to live slightly more chaotic or neutral lifestyles. The concepts of good and evil may affect how the improviser uses spells of the necromancy school, however.

Races
Any race with the concept of free thought can become an improviser, although the most common are gnomes, halflings, and humans. Dwarves generally rely on structure and therefore rarely become improvisers.

Religion
Improvisers can worship any diety they so choose, usually one based off their race. (If someone comes up with a deity that fits the style tell me and I'll put it in here.)

Other Classes
Improvisers generally get along with members of any class, although the strict moral codes of monks and paladins can get on their nerves. Improvisers find that they have the most in common with bards, rogues, and sorcerors.

Hit Die: d6.
Starting Gold: as bard.

Class Features
Class Skills: Balance(Dex), Bluff(Cha), Concentration(Con), Craft(Int), Diplomacy(Cha), Disguise(Cha), Gather Information(Cha), Intimidate(Cha), Jump(Str), Listen(Wis), Move Sliently(Dex), Perform(Cha), Profession(Wis), Sense Motive(Wis), Use Magic Device(Cha)

Skill Points at first level: (6+Int Modifier) x4
Skill Points after first level: 6+Int Modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Improvisers are proficient with all simple weapons, as well as the longsword, shortsword, sap, shortbow, rapier, and whip. Improvisers are also proficient with improvised weapons and can use them without the -4 penalty. They are proficient with light armors but no shields. They can wear light armor without incurring spell failure.

Spells
Improvisers cast arcane spells, drawn from the sorceror/wizard spell list. To learn or cast a spell, the improviser must have a charisma score equal to 10+the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a improviser's spell is 10 + the spell level + the improviser's Charisma modifier.
They can cast any spell from the list without prepaing it beforehand, but with a catch. As users of their imagination, they have trouble using spells in traditional ways, like normal spellcasters do. They must improvise their own ways to cast their spells (Such as creating a rocket launcher to fire magic missles, creating a bunch of balloons over their head to simulate feather fall, or yelling hadoken as they cast a blue colored fireball) and they must make a concentration check equal to 15+ the spell level to cast the spell, otherwise the spell fizzles and the slot is used up. The improviser can attempt to cast a spell normally, but spells cast as such are difficult for the improviser and are treated as being cast by a spellcaster of one level lower as well as increasing the concentration DC by 5. (To clarify, if my 8th level improviser wants to cast scorching ray than he makes a DC 17 concentration check. If he fails the check, he wastes the spell. If he wants to cast scorching ray without creating some new way to do it, he attempts a DC 22 concentration check, but he only gets one 4d6 ray (as he would at 7th level), as opposed to 2 4d6 rays).

Wing It
This represents the improvisers abilities and restrictions on casting spells on the fly as he makes them up. (See the details under Spells to further understand Wing It)

Dodge Expert
Sometimes the improviser's plans and spells go wrong. The train their bodies to be able to react to any situation and to be able to perform any acrobatics their latest idea requires. This ability gives the improviser a +2 on balance and jump checks and reflex saves.

Lucky Shot
As are most creative people, improvisers are very lucky. One time per day, an improviser can declare a melee or ranged attack a lucky shot. This declaration must be made before the attack. The improviser adds his charisma to his attack roll.

Persausive
The improviser's use of his imagination allow him to concoct far-fetched stories but somehow make them believable. He gains the persausive feat.

Dodge Master
The training of the improviser has allowed him to be able to recognize danger as it comes. He gains the improved initiative feat and the bonus on his balence and jump checks (but not reflex saves) increases to +4.

Improved Wing It
The improviser has grown accustomed to discovering new ways to cast spells and as such he adds 5 to his concentration checks for casting spells.

Jack of All Trades
The improviser has picked up on bits of knowledge throughout his travels, and his mental abilities are to the point where he can attempt things that he probably should not know. He gains the Jack of All Trades feat.

Dodge Savant
The improviser has trained himself to the peak of his abilities, increasing his bonus on jump and balance checks (but not reflex saves) to +6 and giving him the evasion special ability.

Slippery Mind
As the rogue special ability. Improvisers hate restrictions on their imaginations and as such will stop at nothing to break free of mind restricting abilities.

Master Improviser (Su)
As a swift action, an Improviser may improvise a spell, of 3rd level or less, as part of any other action. This ability causes the spell to be freely Stilled or Silenced as necessary to limit the necessary casting actions to whatever activity the Improviser is engaging in.

This is my first attempt at homebrew, and I'm not sure how well I did balance-wise. I'd like to give the class some more abilities at higher levels without making it seem like they were tacked on (any ideas are welcome :smallbiggrin: ). The only 'dead levels' I included were those were the improviser gains a new spell level, and I feel that the very limited use of their spells and that they get new spells so late balances the fact that they have the best of the sorceror and wizard. I also think that their training in martial abilities (like the bard) helps balance that they only get spells up to 5th level.

Xyk
2007-12-18, 01:00 PM
It seems a little underpowered. It would seem they are nothing but spellcasting but are weaker than a sorcerer. It is true that this class gets other things in addition to their spells that are reasonably powerful. I don't know. I really like the idea. It would definetly be a secondary caster. I highly suggest improving the spell rate to equal to the bards or so.

RandomFellow
2007-12-18, 01:11 PM
Concentration check isn't as big a drawback as you were thinking probably. By 6th level you can have a Take 10 Feat, 9 Ranks, and a +2 Tool. That's a 21. Everytime.

That said the class is a bit underpowered. I'd increase your maximum spell level to 6 and continue your current progression. I'd also change the 0's to 1's.

jindra34
2007-12-18, 01:17 PM
Concentration check isn't as big a drawback as you were thinking probably. By 6th level you can have a Take 10 Feat, 9 Ranks, and a +2 Tool. That's a 21. Everytime.

That said the class is a bit underpowered. I'd increase your maximum spell level to 6 and continue your current progression. I'd also change the 0's to 1's.

What kind of tool gives a +2 to a concentration check?

RandomFellow
2007-12-18, 01:20 PM
What kind of tool gives a +2 to a concentration check?

Tool, Masterwork

This well-made item is the perfect tool for the job. It grants a +2 circumstance bonus on a related skill check (if any). Bonuses provided by multiple masterwork items used toward the same skill check do not stack.

SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm)

Quite a few people interpret that to mean you get such a tool for any skill (e.g. a meditation crystal for concentration, book for knowledge).

Even if you disagree with that, a +2 skill check magic item is like 400gp.

Even ignoring all of that...once you hit 6 you can still cast any spell reliably. Just remember to raise concentration by 1 when you hit 5th level spells.

Quxelopqr
2007-12-18, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I am going to increase the spells to 6th level, maybe giving them 4 times per day of spells level 3 and under. Actually, giving them 6th level spells at level 18 would be a decent higher level ability, but I still would like something to add at 19th/20th level.

Do you think I should make the concentration check higher? I originally had it at 20+spell level but then I thought it would be too hard to make at low levels. Maybe 15+twice the spell level? That'd make a second level spell DC19.

RandomFellow
2007-12-18, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't worry about it...you are forcing them to take a feat if they want to be a reliable spellcaster. I just wanted to be sure you understood that all it took was a feat and raising ranks in a skill any spellcaster would normally. Especially since the class is on par with a Bard once you make the changes your suggesting. Bard is hardly overpowered unless you go Diplomancy. =)

As for a capstone ability:

Master Improviser (Su)
As a swift action, an Improviser may improvise a spell, of 3rd level or less, as part of any other action. This ability causes the spell to be freely Stilled or Silenced as necessary to limit the necessary casting actions to whatever activity the Improviser is engaging in.

Quxelopqr
2007-12-18, 01:33 PM
Okay, I love that move. Definetly going in. Moreso then the balance issue, the main thing I want to know is does the class seem fun to play? I've always taken having fun with a character over min/maxing one.

Umarth
2007-12-18, 01:56 PM
So this is a spell caster that has to make up new flavor text every time they cast a spell?

I think balance wise the class might be a bit on the weak side. Not sure what I'd change to fix that though until I know this question:

Why? What role is this class filling?
It seems to me that you could just have someone play a sorcerer and say "You can give your casting wacky flavor text." and get the same concept.

RandomFellow
2007-12-18, 01:57 PM
It would be amusing to play but tbh, I'd only play it in a RP heavy campaign where I can be amusing without worrying about power.

Arakune
2007-12-18, 02:02 PM
They are only weak because they can cast only up to 6th level spells. Get then up to 9th level spells and they start to become a bit of problem, since they can cast any spell from the wizard/sorcerer list without preparing it. They could out-batman batman! :smalleek:

RandomFellow
2007-12-18, 02:49 PM
They are only weak because they can cast only up to 6th level spells. Get then up to 9th level spells and they start to become a bit of problem, since they can cast any spell from the wizard/sorcerer list without preparing it. They could out-batman batman! :smalleek:

They can batman pretty well with just 0 through 6th tho.

Quxelopqr
2007-12-18, 11:13 PM
The role I was shooting for is sort of like the bards; a jack of all trades type class, I just decided on a different way of casting. I think the class can do several jobs well (6+Int skill points; average BAB; spells up to 6th level) but won't be overly successful in any one duty. What I seem to be going for is a fifth wheel class.

I'm not too sure though; is there any other way to add power and balance to the class without breaking it? 9th level spells would be way too much, but if I increase it to 7th level they get stuff like limited wish, plane shift, delayed blast fireball, and finger of death.
Maybe a martial ability? Are there any good ones that seem to fit?

Arbitrarity
2007-12-18, 11:32 PM
Give them some "improvised" manuvers? That might work (sorta). That would go for the whole jack-of-all-trades thing.

But you'd probably want to pick specific schools. It's hard to improvise some manuvers :smallwink:

Shades of Gray
2007-12-18, 11:34 PM
Improvise weapon technique.

An improvisor can "burn" a spell to use this ability. They invent a brand new (often impractical) way of using a weapon or their body to attack. The attack takes a -2 penalty to hit. This attack can catch an opponent off guard. The target of the attack is treated as flat-footed against this attack. This ability does not function against; Oozes, Undead, Constructs, Animals, and any other mindless enemies.

Improved Improvised Weapon Technique

As above but you do not take the attack penalty

Masterful Improvised Weapon Technique

As above except the enemy is treated as flat-footed for d4 rounds.

(Add at certain levels where apporpriate)

Looptwiss
2007-12-19, 12:04 AM
I really like the base idea of this class. The Jack-Of-All-Trades has always been a big win for me. Another good class feature would be the "Jack-Of-All-Trades" feat from the Song and Silence handbook. It allows all skills to be treated as class skills instead of cross-class skills. Perhaps The Improvisor could gain this as an automatic feat at level 10? Just a suggestion.

Umarth
2007-12-19, 12:07 AM
The Bard is normally considered a very weak class so bumping the power of something replacing it up is probably okay.

I'd suggest going to take a look at the Marshal, Dragon Shaman, and some of the other 5th wheel classes to steal ideas from.

I do think, as Arbitrarity said, that giving them more improvised manuvers is probably the right way to go.

Perhaps they gain the ability to cast a limited number of healing spells as well?

Quxelopqr
2007-12-19, 12:43 AM
Those are some good ideas, thanks. I don't have the song an silence book but that sounds like it might fit. Healing spells might be interesting.

Improvised manuvers? Could someone explain that idea in depth for me? I'm not fully sure what a manuver is (like the warblade thing?).

Looptwiss
2007-12-19, 01:25 AM
From Song and Silence, page 40:

Jack of All Trades [General]
You've picked up a smattering of even the most obscure skills.
Prerequisite: Character level 8th+.
Benefit: You can use any skill untrained, even those that normally require training and those that are exclusive to classes you don't have. You cannot, however, gain ranks in a skill unless you are allowed to select it.

I hope that helps.

JackMage666
2007-12-19, 02:17 AM
The Capstone ability seems kinda strong, since you can blow through all your spells that way. There should be a 1/encounter limit, or something that limits the use. Otherwise, it's Free Quicken on EVERY spell.

RandomFellow
2007-12-19, 09:53 AM
The Capstone ability seems kinda strong, since you can blow through all your spells that way. There should be a 1/encounter limit, or something that limits the use. Otherwise, it's Free Quicken on EVERY spell.

Every spell of 3rd level or below which is about half. Considering he has no 7th-9th spell slots it seems reasonable. 0o

Quxelopqr
2007-12-20, 01:49 AM
I added the Jack of All Trades feat and I gave the proficiency with improvised weapons, which never struck me until now but makes sense to me.

JackMage666
2007-12-20, 02:16 AM
Quickening, Stilling, and Silenting a spell increases the level by +6. Meaning, a 3rd level spell becomes a 9th level spell. It's kinda really powerful.

The Kool
2007-12-20, 12:24 PM
Just wondering, but who remembers that the Bard's original purpose was to be a jack of all trades? Then along came the special classes, and the custom classes, and it took on it's own special role...

HellFencer
2007-12-20, 03:27 PM
Alright, I like what you have done with this class so far. Its an interesting idea, but I think the whole "improvisation" thing can be filled out a bit more.

Weak spell modification (Ex)
-The Improviser has learned ways to modify his spells in a powerful, but risky way. Through a creative twist, the Improviser bends his powers in on themselves to modify them. In doing so, he may modify a spell as though it were prepared with a metamagic feat, assuming he has the feat to begin with. He may apply the effects of a metamagic feat that has only a +1 level adjustment, and he may do so once per day for every four levels of Improviser he has (5/day at 20th level). In order to do this, the Improviser must add five to his concentration check to cast the spell. Should he fail, not only is the spell lost, but he now takes a backlash of magical energy equal to 1d4 for every level of the spell. (2d4 for a 2nd level spell, 1d2 for a 0th, etc.)
Special: A spell modified may not be modified again until the Improviser has rested for eight hours. Only one modification per spell.

Moderate spell modification (Ex)
-Identical to the above, with the exception that he may now use a feat he knows of +2 level adjustment, or two +1's. He may modify in this fashion once per day for every six levels of Improviser he has (3/day at 18th level). This requires that ten be added to the spell's concentration check, and changes the backlash to d6's.

Strong spell modification (Ex)
-Identical to the above, except he may now use a +3 adjustment, or any multiple that total +3. He may modify in this fashion once per day for every ten levels of Improviser he has (2/day at 20th). 15 must be added to the concentration check, and the backlash now deals d8's.

Improvised spell focus (Ex)
-Many spells require a focus, and this extends to the Improviser as well. However, not all the materials needed are available for a spell all the time, so other items are used instead. An Improviser may use an object representative of the spell (skull for necromancy, eyeglasses for scrying, etc.) instead of the normal components called for. In doing so, the concentration check for the spell is reduced by 2. Should the spell require costly components, they may still be substituted, however this increases the casting time. For every 100 gold difference of value between the improvised component and the costly one, multiply the casting time by four.

10th level:
Improvised spell power (Ex)
-An Improviser has reached a personal peak of power within himself that allows him to improvise on his own spell energy. An Improviser may attempt to cast a spell that is not on his spell list at the price of increased difficulty. The concentration check is now 15 + (spell level x 2) + (half Improviser levels). Casting time for these spells is always double what it would normally be, regardless of any other current effect (Hasted, quickened, etc.).

20th level:
Mastered spell power (Ex)
-An Improviser has reached a second peak of personal power, allowing him to cast spells others wouldn't dream of. An Improviser may now overcome the limits of arcane power by attempting to cast a none-arcane spell. The concentration check is now 15 + (spell level x 3) + (half Improviser levels). Casting time for these spells is always triple what it would normally be, regardless of any other current effect. These spells may never modified as per the Improviser's spell modification.

General note about improvised spellcasting: If the same "technique" is used for a spell the next time it is cast before an Improviser rests, the concentration check is raised by 3. This promotes the imaginative casting thing.

Fako
2007-12-20, 09:36 PM
You might also want to give them Able Learner (From Races of Destiny). It is normally Human/Doppleganger only, but I think it fits the flavor of the class. It can be found here (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Able_Learner,RD). To sum it up, it makes all skills cost 1 point, but it doesn't increase the max rank for cross-class skills.

Also, Jack of All Trades has been updated to 3.5 edition. It can be found here (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Jack_Of_All_Trades,SaS). The only prereq for it now is that you have Int 13.