PDA

View Full Version : Binder Feat/prestige class idea: Vestige Avatar

Username
2007-12-18, 04:08 PM
Pre-req would be favored vestige with the vestige you intend to use this feat with, can be taken multiple times but applies to a different vestige, etc.

The idea of the feat is that while a binder can normally channel a small portion of a vestige's power through pact magic, there are a rare few who can pull a vestige they have an uncanny connection with fully into reality for a short time. The process would be very draining but the character would temporarily be transformed into a very powerful Avatar for their vestige (it would most likely look like the vestige when it manifests).

Thoughts? I thought it would make for an interesting idea and make for a nice trump card for a Binder. Obviously, the form wouldn't be *too* powerful (lest it become unbalanced, but strong enough to be worth using), they'd loose access to other vestige powers for the duration and probably be fatigued at the end (like a barbarian rage).

Username
2007-12-18, 04:10 PM
And I know this feels like a concept better fit for a prestige class, but I worry it would too similar in spirit to the knight of the sacred seal. I was actually surprised they did not get an ability like this.

AKA_Bait
2007-12-18, 05:00 PM
It's a neat idea but it would take a lot of work and might be problematic. Vestiges are kind of like gods so pulling one into reality could be problematic. It might be possible if you wanted to go through each vestige, find an appropriatley CRd creature that sort of fits and have that be the base for a summoned avatar. Seems like it would be a 30 page long feat though...

Username
2007-12-18, 05:03 PM
Yup, there are already some creatures in Tome of Magic that can work as a basis, deadly dancers for Paimon, for example.

bingo_bob
2007-12-18, 05:16 PM
The real problems, I think, are Acererak, Orthos, and Otiax.

Acererak is a demilich. Which is epic. Which means no.

Orthos and Otiax... well, we just don't know what they are.

Halphax... is a gnome. Just a gnome. Gee, that's special.

Anyways, this seems a lot more like a capstone ability of a PrC, or alternate binding class than a feat.

AKA_Bait
2007-12-18, 05:21 PM
Anyways, this seems a lot more like a capstone ability of a PrC, or alternate binding class than a feat.

I do agree with that. A 5 level PrC with max level vestige avatars bound etc would be a less problematic, although still problematic, alternative.

Acererak is a demilich. Which is epic. Which means no.

Orthos and Otiax... well, we just don't know what they are.

Halphax... is a gnome. Just a gnome. Gee, that's special.

Well, I think the idea here would not be to have the summoned thing actually be the vestige. That would be way too powerful. But I could see the standard MM lich, or toned down version of the Demilich construct from the end of the ToH working for Acererak and although we don't know what Orthos and Otiax are we do know what there powers are, so something similarly themed could still fly.

Username
2007-12-18, 05:54 PM
The keyword here is Avatar, or if you prefer, Aspect. More there than simply being bound, but not quite fully there.

I agree that all the vestiges are pretty much epic level. As for Orthos... it strikes me as some sort of massively ancient air elemental, or perhaps some sort of far realms creature. Otiax is definately far realmish in nature, so something pseudonatural would be appropriate.

Daracaex
2007-12-18, 07:40 PM
This could also be done with a multiclass into a slightly modified version of Rich's Champion class.