PDA

View Full Version : The coolest player race ever

Wraithy
2007-12-18, 04:09 PM
Is there (in this edition of DnD or any other) a playable race with only one arm?
True you could just get a normal race and chop off an arm, or just Homebrew, but the idea of playing a race that is naturally one armed sounds... well, fun.
Is there or has there ever been, a properly statted out player race with only one arm?

Quietus
2007-12-18, 04:12 PM
Dunno, but can we reverse engineer the multiheaded template, make a "single headed template", and apply it to an Ettin?

SilverClawShift
2007-12-18, 04:19 PM
I'm picturing some Lovecraftian monstrosity with a vaguely conical body, an arm where most races have a face, and a ring of eyes around the torso.

cupkeyk
2007-12-18, 04:20 PM
Is there (in this edition of DnD or any other) a playable race with only one arm?
True you could just get a normal race and chop off an arm, or just Homebrew, but the idea of playing a race that is naturally one armed sounds... well, fun.
Is there or has there ever been, a properly statted out player race with only one arm?

There was a one eyed one legged one armed monster in the AD&D Monstrous compendium.

*scrubbed*

Riffington
2007-12-18, 04:58 PM
The Fachan would be perfect for that.
In general, the difficulty you'll have creating a balanced one armed race is that it's going to be a big disadvantage for warrior-types and virtually no disadvantage for spellcasters. The Fachan's powers balance well with that I think.

Aquaseafoam
2007-12-18, 06:17 PM
I'm picturing some Lovecraftian monstrosity with a vaguely conical body, an arm where most races have a face, and a ring of eyes around the torso.

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Daleks in Dnd?

Rolaran
2007-12-18, 06:26 PM
Lol... I just pictured a Dalek special ability.

Frightful Presence: Characters must make a Will save or become panicked. Additionally, players must make a Will save or play from behind the sofa for the rest of the session. :smallamused:

Sorry for the thread derail. Incidentally, what do you want a one-armed character for (if there is any reason besides the fun of roleplaying it)?

DraPrime
2007-12-18, 08:02 PM
I've seen lots of ideas for races over time, but this is just plain weird. I'd go with the Fachan. Or, if you want to be a no-armed race then just play this guy.

http://www.geocities.com/njd4ever2000/dotcom.gif

Curmudgeon
2007-12-18, 10:37 PM
Gee, I don't think this thread's title is right. Weirdest, maybe. Coolest, no.

If you want to talk cool, there's the lovely symmetry between the Aasimar's bonuses (+2 each to CHA and WIS) and the Favored Soul's principal stats: CHA to determine number of spells per day, and WIS to determine power of each spell. I think that's very cool.

Prometheus
2007-12-18, 10:54 PM
I played a character subject to a permanent baleful polymorph (Rabbit). The DM and I agreed to count the combination of paws and teeth as a single arm.

A Slaad mutant would be another good candidate.

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-19, 12:53 AM
Gee, I don't think this thread's title is right. Weirdest, maybe. Coolest, no.

Well, I think my one-armed homebrew race is really cool. Of course, it is mechanically "one-armed" though really it is an ooze who can only create one appendage to hold weapons and such. What is this race you may ask? The Globble. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62986) Its LA+1 though there is a lesser +0 version.

Belteshazzar
2007-12-19, 01:24 AM
Neanderthals, For a better more flavorful replacement for the half-orc. Besides they get lots of other handy bonuses like primitive weapons (and those are some useful pieces too) and climatic tolerance (works for both heat and cold.) Come on everyone wants to be a dark eyed Cimerian warlord inside. Don't they?

MrNexx
2007-12-19, 01:39 AM
Actually, the Avalanche Press (motto: "Our Covers are covered non-sensically posed warrior women!") supplement "The Greenland Saga" contained the Unipeds, which had only a single eye, single arm, and single leg. They come from later portions of one of the two Vinlandic Sagas, in sections that are thought to have been added to the manuscript later.