PDA

View Full Version : Tom Bombadil vs Cthulhu?

Efil
2007-12-18, 04:28 PM
Who do you think would win in a duel?

ALOR
2007-12-18, 04:30 PM
................................................ really?? :smallannoyed:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-18, 04:36 PM
................................................ really?? :smallannoyed:
R'lyeh.

Also, Bombadil wins. As Hello Cthulhu has shown us, Cthulhu is extremely susceptible to having the hell annoyed out of him, and Tom does that in spades.

reorith
2007-12-18, 04:50 PM
cthulhu ftw
a hobit hermit vs. an elder evil.

{table=head]|bombadil|cthulhu
hugeness|no|yes
badassness|sorta?|heck yeah
can be squished|yes|no[/table]

needs more alliteration.

TheOtherMC
2007-12-18, 04:58 PM
In or out of Tom's forest? Because if we all recall, Tom Bombadil is THE most powerfull entity in middle-earth, but the poor bloke can't leave his forest.

Efil
2007-12-18, 05:01 PM
In or out of Tom's forest? Because if we all recall, Tom Bombadil is THE most powerfull entity in middle-earth, but the poor bloke can't leave his forest.

Correction. He WONT leave his forest. Lets assume it is in his forest.

rankrath
2007-12-18, 05:05 PM
a draw, as follows;

Tom: Bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla.

Cthulhu: Can't take it anymore...... (explodes, killing tom with the shock wave)

Remember, Tom Bombadil is the only force that can drive people to insanity quicker than Cthulhu.

Efil
2007-12-18, 05:07 PM
As far as I can see he is not a gnome, but you act like he were.

Raiser Blade
2007-12-18, 05:18 PM
This is how the fight would go.

Tom: Hey Cthulhu! Guesswhatguesswhatguesswhatguesswhatguesswhatguess whatguesswhatguesswhatguesswhatguesswhat? I can dance! IcandanceIcandanceIcandanceIcandanceIcandanceIcand anceIcandance!

Cthulhu: *commits suicide*

FoE
2007-12-18, 05:37 PM
I would be willing to unleash Cthulhu on Middle-Earth just to see Tom Bombadil torn to pieces.

Look, as I stated in another thread, it is utterly pointless to post "vs. Cthulhu" threads because Cthulhu ALWAYS wins. He's frickin' Cthulhu, for Nyarlothep's sake.

kpenguin
2007-12-18, 06:32 PM
I would be willing to unleash Cthulhu on Middle-Earth just to see Tom Bombadil torn to pieces.

Look, as I stated in another thread, it is utterly pointless to post "vs. Cthulhu" threads because Cthulhu ALWAYS wins. He's frickin' Cthulhu, for Nyarlothep's sake.

Well, Cthulhu is no where the most powerful being in the mythos, so he loses against all the outer gods, for instance.

FoE
2007-12-18, 06:35 PM
I was more referring to "Darth Vader vs. Cthulhu" or "Godzilla vs. Cthulhu" or "The Care Bears vs. Cthulhu."

factotum
2007-12-18, 06:46 PM
Why is Cthulhu considered to be so powerful? They ran him over with a boat in the Lovercraft short story in which he appeared, and while it didn't appear to kill him, he certainly didn't immediately destroy the impudent vessel either!

puppyavenger
2007-12-18, 06:49 PM
"The Care Bears vs. Cthulhu."

Please tell me thats a joke

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-18, 06:51 PM
I would be willing to unleash Tom Bombadil on Ry'leh just to see Cthulhu torn to pieces.

Look, as I stated in another thread, it is utterly pointless to post "vs. Tom Bombadil" threads because Tom ALWAYS wins. He's frickin' Tom Bombadil, for Elendil's sake.

Fix'd that for you. :smalltongue:

Fighting Tom Bombadil is like playing Cops and Robbers with three-year-olds.

Whatever: This happens.
Tom Bombadil: No.
Whatever: But I'm [insert obscenely overpowered force of destruction].
Tom Bombadil: I said no.

Tengu
2007-12-18, 06:52 PM
Tom Bombadil is shown to be without fear and completely immune to corruption, therefore negating all Cthulhu's abilities barring actual physical strength - which the Old One has in spades, being so huge and all. However, Tom has also been shown to cause fear in evil creatures that are less powerful - and since, as already mentioned, he's one of the most powerful creatures in Middle Earth, Chtulhu probably qualifies as less powerful. Squid runs away, singing guy in a funny hat wins.

2007-12-18, 06:58 PM
Tom Bombadil is an avatar of Nayarlathotep.

I thought that was apparent to everyone.

FoE
2007-12-18, 07:24 PM
You going to compare Tom Bombadil — some jackass in the woods whose only major contribution to the LOTR trilogy was scaring off a few pathetic barrow wights — to the awesome world-shaking might of Cthulhu?

Apparently the destroyer of worlds has arrived, because you people have obviously gone insane.

lipe44
2007-12-18, 07:27 PM
I feell really sorry for Cthulhu... He dont deserve to be defeated so easily...

GoC
2007-12-18, 07:35 PM
You going to compare Tom Bombadil — some jackass in the woods whose only major contribution to the LOTR trilogy was scaring off a few pathetic barrow wights — to the awesome world-shaking might of Cthulhu?

Apparently the destroyer of worlds has arrived, because you people have obviously gone insane.

Bombadil is the only creature I could imagine beating Cthulhu.
The Living Tribunal, Zeus, anything from FR, heck even the Saint of Killers would probably lose to Cthulhu.
It's just that Tom is exactly immune to anything an aspect of horror is or could create or cause.
Tom Bombadil vs. Superman or The Flash or insert-overpowered-anime-character-here would be a loss for Bombadil but against Cthulhu...
To put it another way the only thing he can definitely beat is something like Cthulhu.

EDIT: It's like Dr.Manhattan vs. some geek who's only ability is to negate reality warping powers and their effects anywhere near him.

2007-12-18, 07:37 PM
the Saint of Killers would probably lose to Cthulhu..

The Saint of Killers loses to no one.

FoE
2007-12-18, 07:38 PM
OK, now I feel like going on a rant, if only because I so thoroughly hate the character of Tom Bombadil.

In "Fellowship of the Ring," Gandalf as much says that Tom would probably be destroyed if Sauron returned to power. So if Sauron would have a tough time tackling Cthulhu, then Tom Bombadil's going to have no frickin' chance. Is his stupid singing going to help him much when Cthulhu wipes out his forest with a sweep of his tentacles? Mmm, don't think so.

P.S. The Saint of Killers can't be defeated. His shots always kill whatever he aims at, and he's indestructible.

kpenguin
2007-12-18, 07:39 PM
I dunno about the Living Tribunal. While Cthulu is indeed powerful, he is only one among many powerful beings in the universe, while the Living Tribunal is the most powerful being in the MULIverse.

DraPrime
2007-12-18, 07:41 PM
Cthulhu can't win. If he's fighting Tom, it's only in Tom's forest. And besides, Cthulhu got beaten by a friggin steamboat.

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-18, 07:43 PM
Tom Bombadil vs. Superman or The Flash or insert-overpowered-anime-character-here would be a loss for Bombadil but against Cthulhu.

Tom sings them out of existence.

And no, Gandalf says that Tom would be unaffected even if Sauron were to rise to power. But he goes on to muse that Tom's power is entirely useless for protecting anything other than his small patch of forest.

Tom Bombadil is beyond a god, he's beyond divinity. The Outer Reaches is a joke compared to what Tom Bombadil is. What, pray tell, is that? Existence. Pure, raw, existence. You know, the thing that is anathema to all beings from Cthulu mythos.

To put it into prospective for you: Cthulu is to a human as an Stellar Convertor(props to anyone who understands what I'm talking about) is to a Point Defense Laser. Tom Bombadil is to Cthulu as the Death Star's main laser is to a single laser cannon.

GoC
2007-12-18, 07:44 PM
What abilities does Cthulhu have?
Is it true he got defeated by a steamboat?:smallconfused:

MOO2!:smallbiggrin:

DraPrime
2007-12-18, 07:45 PM
Is it true he got defeated by a steamboat?:smallconfused:

Cthulhu is basically a huge world destroying monstrosity that got beaten when a steamboat rammed into him.

FoE
2007-12-18, 10:44 PM
Cthulhu is a huge world-destroying monstrosity who got temporarily winded when a steamboat rammed into him. He then sank beneath the ocean with his city. He still lives, however, and the story makes clear that it is only a matter of time before he re-surfaces and destroys the world.

Corrected for you.

comicshorse
2007-12-18, 10:54 PM
As I remember the story Cthulhu was briefly annoyed by the steam=boat. He wasn't defeated at all he merely returned to R'yleh as it sank beneath the waves because the Stars were not yet right for his return.

The_Snark
2007-12-18, 11:10 PM
I should add that "was momentarily inconvenienced by being struck by several tons of steel travelling at high speeds" is not nearly the argument in favor of Cthulu's defeat that many people seem to think it is.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2007-12-18, 11:14 PM
And no, Gandalf says that Tom would be unaffected even if Sauron were to rise to power.

Actually, I think he says that Tom Bombadil would fall to Sauron if and only if everything else in the world was already under Sauron's control.

Turcano
2007-12-18, 11:51 PM
If we're judging by sheer ****ed-up-ness, Tom Bombadil wins hands down.

averagejoe
2007-12-19, 12:44 AM
Hey dol! Merry dol! Ding a dong a dooloo!
Old Tom Bombadil could definitely beat Cthulu!

FoE
2007-12-19, 12:46 AM
I should add that "was momentarily inconvenienced by being struck by several tons of steel travelling at high speeds" is not nearly the argument in favor of Cthulu's defeat that many people seem to think it is.

Exactly. At best it was a distraction — the equivalent of a beesting.

Porthos
2007-12-19, 12:49 AM
Bombadil is the only creature I could imagine beating Cthulhu.

What about Squirrel Girl? :smalltongue:

<Porthos runs away, incredibly fast>

EDIT::::

<Porthos sneaks back into the thread>

Could you imagine the unspeakable horror if Tom Bombadil and Squirrel Girl had kids?

I truly think the multiverse would implode if such a monstrosity was unleashed! :smalleek:

FoE
2007-12-19, 12:52 AM
What about Squirrel Girl? :smalltongue:

Squirrel Girl beats everybody. That's why she never shows up in these "Versus" threads; there's no point, since she always wins. :smalltongue:

Belteshazzar
2007-12-19, 12:54 AM
If I may speak. Cthuhlu is not a proper 'god' as so many imply. He may have (human) worshipers yes, but among his own kind he is simply a high priest for the real workers of trouble in his universe. Sure he has some impressive mind altering, dream powers, moderate regeneration, loyal cultists of the most degenerate kind but... Tom is not a 'god' either but his existence is the manifestation of Creation as a whole. He is simply not destructible, bind-able, nor controllable. However, while he could ward off Cthuhlu or repair some of his damage, it is unlikely that he could destroy the Old One. Nor is he likely to face him if he can avoid it. It is likely that Cthuhlu will simply look at, Tom try to eat him once, be driven off by the Song of Creation or somesuch and decide to leave that little section of the Universe alone. Besides, while Tom is immune to all of these things he is unable to extend that immunity to many people or for very long.

End Result: Stalemate, neither 'wins' but Cthuhlu enjoys ravaging the countryside while Tom can only watch in sorrow, yet Cthuhlu is denied complete victory and satisfaction by an irksome and reoccurring creature who defies all attempts to corrupt, madden, or destroy.

FoE
2007-12-19, 01:11 AM
Might I point out that there is no way of knowing that Bombadil would have any power over Cthulhu, who is a creature from outside of Middle-Earth?

And even if Cthulhu cannot immediately destroy Tom Bombadil in a single battle, he wins in the long-haul. After the entirety of Middle-Earth has been destroyed and Cthulhu reigns supreme, he engages in a long siege of Tom Bombadil's woods, using his thousands of followers to poison the land and to whittle away at Tom's tiny kingdom. I think even Tom Bombadil would go mad if he saw all life slowly extinguished around him.

Sucrose
2007-12-19, 01:50 AM
Might I point out that there is no way of knowing that Bombadil would have any power over Cthulhu, who is a creature from outside of Middle-Earth?

And even if Cthulhu cannot immediately destroy Tom Bombadil in a single battle, he wins in the long-haul. After the entirety of Middle-Earth has been destroyed and Cthulhu reigns supreme, he engages in a long siege of Tom Bombadil's woods, using his thousands of followers to poison the land and to whittle away at Tom's tiny kingdom. I think even Tom Bombadil would go mad if he saw all life slowly extinguished around him.

...."go?" You may want to rephrase.:smallbiggrin:

Dervag
2007-12-19, 01:32 PM
I think Cthulhu would be indifferent to Tom Bombadil's little enclave, and would feel no need to wage aggressive wars to reduce and destroy it. In Lovecraftian canonical fiction, Cthulhu and the civilization he led coexisted with other 'alien' civilizations on Earth for millions of years. They fought wars, yes, but the wars were obviously not total (the Earth couldn't have survived a million-year total war between the Elder Things and the Star-spawn). So Cthulhu would probably just ignore Bombadil, cheerfully occupying most ofthe planet while Bombadil slumbered in his little forest, waiting for the stars to be wrong...

Dallas-Dakota
2007-12-20, 12:50 AM
Tom would kick Cthulhu's ass with his merry yellow boots!
Though if he was outside his own lands, Tom would be totally destroyed.

He invested all his power into his lands.

So no, his lands will keep Tom alive, even if Cthulhu will practically destroy everything else. So no Tom would wither and die from the death and destruction.

Squirrel Girl beats everybody. That's why she never shows up in these "Versus" threads; there's no point, since she always wins.
Or just to unknown, Tolkien in vampire form would kick her ass!

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-20, 01:01 AM
I think even Tom Bombadil would go mad if he saw all life slowly extinguished around him.

No, he just wouldn't care. Because he would just create more land. It's not called the Song of Creation for nothing. Even if Cthulu ravages the country-side, Tom wouldn't care. If Cthulu steps onto Tom's land, Tom owns him so hard it isn't even funny.

Also: The Song of Creation doesn't care whether you're from Middle-Earth or not. The Valar and Maiar were extraplanar beings, but Tom can affect Gandalf.

Dervag
2007-12-20, 03:07 AM
I'm not arguing, I'm curious: when does Tom affect Gandalf?

On another note, the council at Rivendell considers giving the One Ring to Bombadil, but Gandalf advises against it because if Sauron triumphs, Bombadil will eventually fall, "last as he was first."

GoC
2007-12-20, 09:39 AM
On another note, the council at Rivendell considers giving the One Ring to Bombadil, but Gandalf advises against it because if Sauron triumphs, Bombadil will eventually fall, "last as he was first."

iow: When all of creation outside his forrest is corrupted and on your side then you can think about attacking.

TheOtherMC
2007-12-20, 10:00 PM

Eating 1d6 adventurers per round. :smallbiggrin:

If I remember correctly, the rationale was actually that they couldn't give Tom the ring because then Sauron would just destroy EVERYTHING ELSE, at which point keeping the ring safe is pointless.

Eita
2007-12-20, 10:09 PM
Isn't Tom the incarnation of the very power of nature? I believe he also turned into a Dire Bear in the Hobbit.

kpenguin
2007-12-20, 10:13 PM
The dire bear guy was Beorn, the inspiration for D&D werebears.

Eita
2007-12-20, 10:15 PM
Ah. My bad. Regardless, I'm still pretty that Tom Bombadil pretty much is Middle-Earth.

rankrath
2007-12-20, 10:17 PM
Eating 1d6 adventurers per round. :smallbiggrin:

problem solved, Tom's an NPC.

averagejoe
2007-12-20, 10:27 PM
If I remember correctly, the rationale was actually that they couldn't give Tom the ring because then Sauron would just destroy EVERYTHING ELSE, at which point keeping the ring safe is pointless.

Well, the larger reason was that they really wouldn't be able to explain to Tom why it would be important for him to keep the ring safe, and so Tom would probably just lose it because he wouldn't care enough, which would be bad because it has a way of turning up again.

TheOtherMC
2007-12-20, 11:00 PM
Well, the larger reason was that they really wouldn't be able to explain to Tom why it would be important for him to keep the ring safe, and so Tom would probably just lose it because he wouldn't care enough, which would be bad because it has a way of turning up again.

Can you imagine Old Man Willow with that kind of power? :smalleek:

averagejoe
2007-12-21, 12:11 AM
Can you imagine Old Man Willow with that kind of power? :smalleek:

Awsome.

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-21, 03:45 AM

When that little event called Creation happened.

Tom: He's not an NPC. He's a DMNPC. He auto-wins because the DM says so. :smalltongue:

GuesssWho
2007-12-22, 12:00 AM
Tom Bombadil is an avatar of Nayarlathotep.

I thought that was apparent to everyone.

LOL
Yeah, no kidding.

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-22, 12:50 AM

Gandalf theorizes that it might happen. He goes further to say that Tom would forget about and lose the ring, because it isn't important. He did not yet realize at that point in time that Sauron was already too strong to be defeated by force of arms. His concern was that anything short of trying to destroy the ring would be anticipated by Sauron (Sauron's hubris blinded him to that possibility).

The council did consider throwing the ring to the sea, or trying to take it across the ocean with the elves. The concern was that the Valar would reject the ring, and that the road would be watched by Sauron. Not that they needed to destroy the ring in order to have a prayer against Sauron.