PDA

View Full Version : Rich, Screwing with our heads the entire time?

Copacetic
2007-12-18, 07:35 PM
As the title suggests, has Rich been messing with us all along? Check out the first comic, panals two and three. More importantly, Check out how Haley and Elan seem to be holding hands. Either I'm crazy, or thats proof they had already came to grounds with their affection since before the comic started.:smallconfused:

BRC
2007-12-18, 07:37 PM
As the title suggests, has Rich been messing with us all along? Check out the first comic, panals two and three. More importantly, Check out how Haley and Elan seem to be holding hands. Either I'm crazy, or thats proof they had already came to grounds with their affection since before the comic started.:smallconfused:
You know too much...

Antamar
2007-12-18, 07:40 PM
Actually, Elan's hand is overlapping ABOVE Haley's hand, on her arm.

Grey Watcher
2007-12-18, 07:41 PM

I think it has more to do with the fact that there isn't a way to show depth in this comic. I just assumed that one of their hands is behind the other's. But because the hands and arms are just thin black lines, there's no way to accurately show that one is in front of the other.

FoE
2007-12-18, 07:42 PM
Yeah, Frigs, they're not holding hands. For that, you must die by being smothered by fruit.

*Dumps truckload of bananas on top of Frigs*

This **** is bananas, indeed.

Copacetic
2007-12-18, 07:43 PM
Hmm, says you, But I still want to find out. He did have other space to put their arms.......

Heroic
2007-12-18, 07:48 PM
We will never know... :smallwink:

Fozzie
2007-12-18, 07:48 PM
Actually, sometimes plot is developed WAY before we could think about it. But in that case, no, they are not holding hands...

Kish
2007-12-18, 07:49 PM
If Elan and Haley were obviously holding hands in the first comic--which they aren't--if holding hands in mid-battle would be sane behavior even if they were a couple--which it wouldn't--still, how would "they held hands in one panel" override everything that indicated Haley tried very hard to keep her feelings for Elan secret until #400?

Copacetic
2007-12-18, 08:00 PM
If Elan and Haley were obviously holding hands in the first comic--which they aren't--if holding hands in mid-battle would be sane behavior even if they were a couple--which it wouldn't--still, how would "they held hands in one panel" override everything that indicated Haley tried very hard to keep her feelings for Elan secret until #400?

I have too take two problems with that theory. One:They are holding hands for two panals, Two: Well, DM's (Which Rich has been refered to and even scolded many times for not followng the "rules") sometimes change their plot half-way through. Say Rich wanted to start them out as a couple, but soon got sick of the idea and ditched it. Not entrely out of the question eH?

Antamar
2007-12-18, 08:14 PM
I have too take two problems with that theory. One:They are holding hands for two panals, Two: Well, DM's (Which Rich has been refered to and even scolded many times for not followng the "rules") sometimes change their plot half-way through. Say Rich wanted to start them out as a couple, but soon got sick of the idea and ditched it. Not entrely out of the question eH?

The problem is that Elan's hand is on Haley's arm, not her hand. I haven't seen too many couples holding each other's arms in real life.

David Argall
2007-12-18, 08:21 PM
The pictures in question seem to be art flaw - See Haley in the final picture for another. Our artist has reason to claim increased skill with practice.

Origens Haley seems to have the hots for Elan, and the [possibly well-founded] idea it would be a bad idea to let him know that, from the moment they met.

bluish_wolf
2007-12-19, 12:29 AM
In panel 5, it looks like V and Haley are holding hands, and in the last panel it looks like Roy and Haley are holding hands. Man, she's a loose woman.

Mr_Saturn
2007-12-19, 12:37 AM
And apparently she lost her hand in the first comic. :smallconfused:

PaladinFreak
2007-12-19, 01:14 AM
Isn't it obvious? Elan is just trying to keep her at arms length so she won't pick his pockets again, because last time she did, she stole the Wand of House Rule Creation, through which she could make it so that red haired human rogue archers named Haley Starshine automatically start with fifty quadrobizmultimonkeyziquinmillion gold peices!

reorith
2007-12-19, 02:28 AM
frigs, i think you may have confused the order of the stick with a painting from the northern renaissance. this happened to me once. it is a fairly easy mistake to make since the both have a shallow field to expose their narrative and highly emotional content as well as bold colors.

BobTheDog
2007-12-19, 03:01 AM
Well, I for one wouldn't doubt the possibility of a wink-wink nudge-nudge detail like that actually being something meaningful.

I, for one, just love hiding these type of plot clues...

Edit: I, for one, speak "for one" a lot. :smallconfused:

Rollin
2007-12-19, 03:11 AM
Look at their feet. Elan is standing too far behind Haley to have his hand on her arm.

Dalenthas
2007-12-19, 03:15 AM
And in Panel 5 Roy is grabbing her boob. That's sexual assault right there...

Seriously, why?

FoE
2007-12-19, 04:45 AM
And in Panel 5 Roy is grabbing her boob. That's sexual assault right there...

Seriously, why?

You, sir, have just won my eternal respect. Even though you can't hear it, I am clapping right now, I assure you.

Give it up, Frigs.

PePe QuiCoSE
2007-12-19, 07:47 AM
from the comments in the books (Dungeon of Dorukan or Paladin Blues, not sure) Rich says that he hasn't had the plot (as we know it now) figured it out. Even that initially Haley was going to be the romantic couple for roy, but later it simply didn't go that way and made the changes necessary.

So, your answer is no.
Though, it does try to confuse you about printing cost about Origin of PC and Start of Darkness.

pendell
2007-12-19, 09:00 AM
frigs, i think you may have confused the order of the stick with a painting from the northern renaissance. this happened to me once. it is a fairly easy mistake to make since the both have a shallow field to expose their narrative and highly emotional content as well as bold colors.

Everybody go home now, reorith just won this thread.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

NerfTW
2007-12-19, 09:55 AM
from the comments in the books (Dungeon of Dorukan or Paladin Blues, not sure) Rich says that he hasn't had the plot (as we know it now) figured it out. Even that initially Haley was going to be the romantic couple for roy, but later it simply didn't go that way and made the changes necessary.

So, your answer is no.
Though, it does try to confuse you about printing cost about Origin of PC and Start of Darkness.

You're thinking of Miko.

And he said he DOES have the major plot mapped out.

Further, there's no book called Dungoen of Dorukan.

PePe QuiCoSE
2007-12-19, 10:33 AM
Yeah, you are right, the name of the book is Dungeon Crawling fools. The Dungeon of Dorukan is the game. And i'm not confusing it with Miko (god, how did SHE made it to this thread? :P), in the first book commentary Burlew says that initially he thought of Haley as a "romantic ploy" (or something like that) for Roy. Then when he figured out the whole plot he changed it

NerfTW
2007-12-19, 10:45 AM
No, you're describing the Miko situation exactly. Go read the commentary where she's introduced.

The line you're thinking of, I think, is that
"Haley was devised first as a foil for Roy, someone as smart as he was who uses her powers for greed."

Foil, not romantic ploy.

Miko, on the other hand, was originally intended to be a romantic interest for Roy, before Rich realized it didn't make much sense, and used her as a means of cementing Roy's dedication to the Order.

vivi
2007-12-19, 10:55 AM
Please don't turn this into another discussion about miko.
Now let this thread die in peace

NerfTW
2007-12-19, 11:20 AM
Please don't turn this into another discussion about miko.
Now let this thread die in peace

I'm not turning it into a discussion about Miko, I'm stating that the Haley being a romantic option for Roy commentary that Pepe is mentioning is in fact the original Miko plot, as described in the commentary.

This is necessary to prove that Haley was never intended to be a romantic option for Roy. The line he remembers, as quoted above was as an intellectual foil.

Stop freaking out just because a character name is mentioned.

The Linker
2007-12-19, 11:30 AM
You, sir, have just won my eternal respect. Even though you can't hear it, I am clapping right now, I assure you.

Give it up, Frigs.

Dang, I was gonna say what he said, too.

I would also like it point out, though, that Haley does seem to think there's something under the floor worth stealing in the last panel.