PDA

View Full Version : 4e HP?

Kiirseva
2007-12-18, 07:45 PM
I've seen the newest rumor of point-buy being the standard stat generation for 4th Edition (with rolling still in there), but has anyone heard anything on hitpoints?

I'm wondering if they're going to move towards a flat hp/ lvl for the classes (à la WoW).

As an aside, do you prefer rolling for hp or taking the average?

tyckspoon
2007-12-18, 07:55 PM
I think the current rumor/presumed fact on HP is that first level will have a large HP bonus, on the order of two or three times your class hit die. I don't know if anything has been said regarding leveling, but my guess is that using a flat-rate advancement will either be standard or a very strongly recommended option. That's also my preference (or some generous hybrid, like 'roll and take the higher of average or your roll); I consider it less damaging for characters to have statistically above-average HPs than it is for them to have an abnormally low HP number.

DraPrime
2007-12-18, 07:57 PM
Personally, I would prefer if we roll our HP. I kind of like the weird randomness of the D&D world. Point buy just seems too....mechanical.

TimeWizard
2007-12-18, 08:07 PM
I'd rather if Law of Averages didn't effect my character creation. It's the kind of thing I like in combat and play.

Citizen Joe
2007-12-18, 08:11 PM
If I wanted a random character I would either take something made by the DM or play Traveller (where there is a chance of dying in character creation).

Crow
2007-12-18, 08:58 PM
I heard it was 3HD at first level.

Ashes
2007-12-18, 09:10 PM
I heard it was 3HD at first level.

That's how SAGA does it, anyway.

Citizen Joe
2007-12-18, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't mind 10 hp base plus level based HD (even 1's on the rolls). That's about average for 2d8. That 10 hp would be your actual getting wounded damage whereas the level based added hp would be "dodges aside narrowly averting a horrible injury".

In fact, I wouldn't mind if those 10 hp weren't magically curable. Meanwhile, curing the level added hp would be more like restoring your luck. I would be VERY cautious about spells that cut right to those "golden ten" though. A coup-de-grace could be simple damage but applied directly to the "golden ten" and sneak attacks could do normal damage but for each 'die' of the sneak attack, the rogue would do 1 point to the "golden ten".

tyckspoon
2007-12-18, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't mind 10 hp base plus level based HD (even 1's on the rolls). That's about average for 2d8. That 10 hp would be your actual getting wounded damage whereas the level based added hp would be "dodges aside narrowly averting a horrible injury".

In fact, I wouldn't mind if those 10 hp weren't magically curable. Meanwhile, curing the level added hp would be more like restoring your luck. I would be VERY cautious about spells that cut right to those "golden ten" though. A coup-de-grace could be simple damage but applied directly to the "golden ten" and sneak attacks could do normal damage but for each 'die' of the sneak attack, the rogue would do 1 point to the "golden ten".

So.. the Wound/Vitality (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/vitalityAndWoundPoints.htm) system, then? It's a fairly popular variant.

Superglucose
2007-12-18, 11:36 PM

So you have 10hp to start? I think it should go up, at least a little bit, as damage grows. Or damage needs to be stunted, but a variant on the 10hp rule that my friends and I use is this:

10 hp or Con (whichever's higher), +1/2 BAB. Fighters then, are naturally tougher than Wizards due to their training. And at max they have 20 hp instead of 10 hp.

Person_Man
2007-12-18, 11:47 PM
The rumor is that your first level hit points are three times your maximum hit die + Con bonus. So a Wizard (d4) would have 12 + Con bonus hit points.

In addition, there's going to be some sort of wound/vitality system.

Also, every class will have access to healing, and Save or die/lose effects are gone.

Of course, this is just rumor.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-12-19, 10:14 AM
Well, In SW Saga ed., which supposidly is very like 4th ed, they do 3xHD for first+con and you get 'max' HP. You also get a damage threshold in Saga and if the hit that 'kills' you doesn't exceed your DT, then you are just KO. Even if it does exceed your threshold, then you can spend a force point to just be KO.

There is also the '2nd wind' ability that all characters have. If you are below 1/4 HP, you can spend I think a swift action to recover 1/4 your maximum HP once per day. You can get extra second wind as a feat, and there is a soldier talent that does the same as well as a talent that gives you more health back whe you use the ability.

Treat injury, is the replacement skill for 'heal', and in SW Saga allows for first aid which gives back HP (only useable once per day and costs a healthpack), and you can preform surgery to restore more HP (surgery kit needed and stuff).

So, lots of non-magical healing available in SW...not sure how much will translate to DnD 4th ed though.

Mando Knight
2007-12-19, 11:06 AM
Second wind can be used at anytime when you have >1/2 HP, and a swift action gives you 1/4 of your HP or your Con score, whichever is higher.