PDA

View Full Version : Your homebrew world?

Umarth
2007-12-18, 08:52 PM
Just a couple questions out for everyone who creates their own homebrewed worlds. If you have multiple worlds please list them separately.

1) Name of World

2) How long have you been gaming in it?

3) How many different gaming groups have you had play it?

4) How long is your Homebrew documentation?

5) No/Low/Standard/High magic?

6) Has your world changed substantially since you first started it?

7) What are the main influences for your world?

For my world:

1) Name of World:
The Narrowlands

Active games have been running in it for 3 years or so now.

2 completely different gaming groups. 1 from 1-18th and the other 1st-10th (ongoing)

My Player info sheet is right at 106 pages now.
I've got an additional 20 pages or so on NPCs, religion, and cities built out.
I've also got probably 20-30 pages of Monsters/NPCs statted out.
So total around 150 pages of documentation.

Low magic - All casters replaced with my Revised Adept (covered in a thread on these boards)

Yes, the world originally started out very Tolkenesq however it has shifted more and more to be based on real world societies.

Tolkien was the original inspiration however other than some names that have never been updated you'd have a hard time at this point identifying anything specifically Tolkien left in the world. Most of the inspiration currently comes from my readings about Byzantium, Persia, Sumeria, and other historical sources.

Icewalker
2007-12-18, 09:05 PM
1) Name of World
(Not what people call the world, but name of the campaign world)
Benevolence

I'm unfinished, going to be mostly finishing over the next 2-3 weeks.

See 2)

Going to be very long...cosmology notes, details on each of the several larger and smaller societies, an entire new system for ship-to-ship combat, pieces of a bible...very long. Looking at other posts...probably quite short.

Standard/high magic. There are lots of powerful magic items going to the characters, and the characters aren't special: there are lots of adventurers in the world.

It will. I have plans for a major world-shaking event to happen at one point, to be followed up by a massively changed overall situation in the world.

Hmm...
No overall influence.
Sea-based/ship fighting: the Hornblower books.
Some of the places/people: Napoleon, Feudal Japan, Venice, the idea of Atlantis, Spain, the Aztecs, the Conquistadors and Spanish conquests.
Religion/major god: Fahrenheit 451

Some other notes:
There is going to be a lot of travel. Between cities, continents, and planes. Lots of interesting locales...
Style: carefree in some cases, but when serious, very dark (BoVD and Fiend Folio have got some good stuff)
Cosmology changes: minor. Still has astral/material/ethereal/elemental planes and the like, but with additional smaller planes.

For anybody interested by this ( :smallbiggrin: ) I'm going to be hosting adventures on it as a pbp in about a month or less.

Lady Tialait
2007-12-18, 09:05 PM
1) Name of World
Newr

About 5 Years, give or take

6 in total...almost everyone has love it.

Well, the handwritten is over 300 pages long, but that is just illedgable banter and such, the Forum post is not that long but is informative.

Um...High Magic.

Not really, same old city.

Cyberpunk, Steampunk, and Ravnica (after it came out ofcorse)

brian c
2007-12-18, 09:39 PM
1) Name of World

Suraen; the overdeity is named Su, the the name means "creation of Su" roughly.

Haven't actually gamed in it. Been working on it for about 6-9 months, plan to do some playing/playtesting over winter break and maybe next semester at school.

So far, none.

Let's see... I plan to print it all out and put it in a binder when it's done, it's quite lengthy. A full re-write with 3.5+ and pseudo-4e rules, classes and races. Right now it has 40 or so Word documents, a total of over 100 pages probably.

Pretty high magic, high-powered overall.

The expected answer would be no, since I haven't played it yet. However, this whole setting/houserules came from an idea I had for a campaign, and it's no longer similar to that at all.

The religions are heavily influenced by real life religions; one is like Christianity, one is like Buddhism, two are like Judaism (though the more lawful one has similarities to Confucianism). I love Tolkien, but it's very un-Tolkien-esque, with the exception that one halfling race is pretty much Hobbits (oddy enough, D&D has less hobbit-like halflings now). I think there's more influence from real world politics, religion and culture than there is from any literature or games.

FoxHush
2007-12-18, 09:45 PM
First time GMing in a Fallout pnp and in homebrewed a world of sorts..and clearly not Dnd but what the hey.

1) Name of World
East Coast:After Fall

4 months

8 pages and growing.

High Mutant :D

The Main quest as of now, is being turned into a sidequest.

Fallout, Dark Tower, Zombie Movies, and FireFly.

DraPrime
2007-12-18, 09:52 PM
1) Name of World
The Two Halves (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48579&highlight=Halves)

Never. It's only half done. I have a general idea of what I want, but I haven't gotten around to finishing it.

None

Probably about 100 pages

High magic, along with standard psionics

Not really. I had a set goal from the start, and I've stuck to it.

The idea first came from Rich Burlew's first New World articles. Also, Robert Frost's poem Fire and Ice was a huge inspiration. And then my constant determination to make the world unique was what truly helped me make my decisions.

adanedhel9
2007-12-18, 10:16 PM
1) Name of World

Tarnor

3.5 years

2.5 groups

There's much more in my head than I've written down, but I've probably got roughly 100 pages written at the moment. Kinda hard to tell when it's all stored in a Wiki :smallamused:.

Was standard, becoming low-standard (rewritten classes tone down spellcasting a bit).

Yes. Once past the formative stage (when everything was up in the air) it took me about a year to nail down the cosmology. Besides purely mechanical changes, I overhauled gnomes, dramatically altered the role of dragons, and rewrote a couple of the deities after the last campaign.

Real-world societies and conflicts, Tolkien, math, experimental mechanics

Pronounceable
2007-12-18, 10:54 PM
1) Name of World
The World.

On and off (and in constant development) for 10 years.

Hard to say, since I exclusively run one-shots. 1 guy right from the beginning, an unknown number of people in and out throughout the years.

It don't exist. There are loads and loads of scribblings in numerous notebooks and a few word files, but little actual documentation. 20 pages at most. But MBs of info in my skull.

Low magic, overall low powered. Except for the obligatory "Iconic Setting Wizard", plus small number of NPCs.

Of course, it's been 10 years. It is nothing like its first incarnation.

Not a main influence anymore, but the single most important: A tiny litte CRPG called Lords of Doom (pretty standard fare: the ancient evil has awoken, our guy must stop it before it's too late...), which happens to be my first step on the long journey. It was made by a single guy and I thought "If he can make a CRPG all by himself, I can make one, too!"

Main influences: History, Riftwar Series and Exile games. Plus millions of little bits from everything.

Burgo McSock
2007-12-18, 10:59 PM
1) Name of World
Salenheim

In terms of PnP gaming about 9 months but before then there was a mod for Morrowind and a couple of Game Maker games (none of which were completed).

3 Different campaigns with slightly different group members. The core three of us who create the world are in all of them and we each DM a separate group.

Barely anything in terms of homebrew rules documentation but a huge lot of stats/backstories/pictures of magic items on paper. A lot of lore including a number of short stories, religious texts and legends. Detailed maps of one nation and basic maps of a number of others. Online we have a Wiki (http://bwco.wetpaint.com/Salenheim) which unfortunately we do not update anywhere near often enough. History is defined from the founding of one of the empires to beyond the end of the world. Many, many separate settings exist within this one world/history. One of my friends is writing up a particular campaign setting book for one of these ages.

Now that really depends on the age you are talking about. First Empire is standard to high magic, with well established arcane and divine organisations and quite large numbers of magic items.

Yes absolutely. Originally Salenheim was an imaginary world which me and my friends invented when we were about 14. It was not a DnD world just a sort of thing that we talked about. It was very immature then with many stupid things that have since been omitted. It is constantly evolving with many things being being added and others removed from week to week.

Five major empires/kingdoms in the area of the world we have mapped out so far. The Salenheimian Empire is loosely based on a combination of traditional medieval fantasy and the Roman Empire, the Kingdoms of Bog and Slarrg are based on a combination of Nordic and Slavic kingdoms, the Tal'lafans take a lot of inspiration from Turkish and Arabic empires and the Kasamaki are based on eastern nations (mostly the Japanese feudal system) and after reading Magician by Raymond E. Feist I have realized that they also have alot in common with the Tsunarani (or however the name is spelt). Of course I am only talking about this from the viewpoint of the first era. The age of Tiagarath features many steampunk and dystopian totalitarianism influences, the third era is modeled on the modern world, the forth era is a collapse/post apocalyptic setting and then the Salenheimians go into space leaving a dead planet behind (influenced by the game Homeworld). Yes alot of different stuff here, it is really more like multiple settings in the one world.

8) Some other notes:
* World originally started with the gods, the first of whom are based on the three of us who work on the world
* All three of our campaigns are set in the year 1E511 (which means the 511st year of the First Empire)
* Time in Salenheim is closer to a metric system: 100 seconds in a minute, 50 minutes in an hour, 25 hours in a day, 10 days in a week, 40 days in a month, 10 months in a year etc.
* Humans are by far the most common race in Salenheim all the campaigns are very human against other human with little to no kobolds/gobins/other trash mobs about.
* Dwarves and elves exist but are quite rare, halflings and gnomes don't exist and are replaced with ratmen. Other changes to orcs etc.
* The hero's are not friggen superhuman, other people (NPCs) are often quite powerful.
* The three campaigns running at the moment are centered around a conflict between the Salenheimian Empire and the House of Xin of Kasamaka all are played on different sides/factions.

reorith
2007-12-19, 12:58 AM
1) ennui
2) haven't started yet
3) none
4) 73mb
5) standard magic
6) yes
7) magic the gathering, fantasy short stories i've written, stuff i wanted to see in a setting.

the only race playable are humans. other races are just corrupted versions of them such as hags and bullfolk. the clerics for the different gods have different class abilities other than their domain + granted power.

i'f you'd be interested in playtesting by post, send me a pm.

Sheyd
2007-12-19, 01:18 AM
1) Name of World
Valifrey
About three months so far
One at the moment.
Actual documentation on my side of the screen is approximately 50 pages. There are 6 seperate chat logs (the game takes place in a chatroom)
Standard magic, leaning towards the upper end of Standard though.
No major changes thus far though if things go as I have plotted, considerable changes will take place.
The Influence for Valifrey comes more from fragments of ideas I've had while playing in many different games, be it table top, online or what have you. I've played D&D for 28 years and I've always played on Homebrewed worlds either my own or those of other DMs/players. When you play little ideas come to mind, well I tend to scribble mine down and when a gout of creativity hits me I pull out the scribbles and go to town on whichever one strikes my fancy at the time. Valifrey and its documentation came out of a week-long creative streak.

Satyr
2007-12-19, 04:27 AM
1) Name of World

Ashkardia (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65817) (Northern Continent) and Gondara (Southern Continent). The world has no name on its own, I'm happy enough to name the continents - mostly because most World names" aren't very plausible.

It's not done yet. I have played two mini campaigns (each about six or seven game meetings long) in the setting to test some things and ask for the player's opinion.

Two. See above.

In its current state far away from perfection it's about 30 pages - some stuff is written completely, some pages are only brainstorming results in
I assume that the complete, finished description will be around 200 - 300 pages.

Magic in the wrong doses hurts a game. While high amounts of magic sound nice on the short term, on long terms it hurts a campaign world badly because it destroys the world's plausibility and only an environment that is fundamentally rational, has a high level of internal consistency and is carefully maintained can give the feeling that one is involved in an epic.
I havn't yet see a setting with high magic anmd a good long term motivation.
A too high level of magic does not only hurt the campaign, but also the perception of supernaturalö events - if magic becomes a part of every day life, it loses its sense of wonder. To be something special, it has to be something rare.
Therefore, my settings - and from my point of view, any good setting - is 'low magic'.

Not radically, but sure, it's a work in progress in a way it changes every day when I write something more about it. The basic concept is still the same.

First and foremost, the real world. I assume that whenever something is not described as working differently, things are exactly as they are in real life. That has the enormous advantage that it minimizes the need of suspension of disbelief. Therefore, in my settings things like the laws of thermodynamics are active, water consists of hydrogen and oxygen and illnesses are a result of infection.
Ashkardia is - roughly - based on the fusion of two other RPG settings, Gurps Banestorm and Changeling: the Dreaming. But the more the setting develops, the more these sources blur.
The other great source is George Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, because these books are how a great fantasy setting should be.

Other notes:
A good FRPG setting should offer two major strengths: A sense of wonder, meaning that the setting invites to explore and offers spectacular amnd interessting facettes (which is easily destroyed in high magic settings due to simple overkill) and plausibility, the feeling that the setting follows an inner logic, and the inner reality is, even though it may be different from the real reality, consequent and plausible.

The Cap'n
2007-12-19, 05:46 AM
1) Name of World
The setting's name is Thraevin, after the inland sea around which most of the adventures take place. The planet itself is called Phaedoro.

About five years.

I have run five campaigns and two one-shots in the setting. All told about 30 people have played in my homebrew.

Most of it is undocumented, especially the fluff. I probably have at least 100 pages of just the races, classes, feats, and NPCs that I used during various games.

Non-Standard. Magic is omnipresent, but the ability to control it is rare, and highly regulated. Steam-power is much more common and available, and magic doesn't play nice with technology.

Yes.

In the first campaign, the island in which the PCs started was conquered by a foreign power. They had the opportunity later in the campaign to return and kick out the invaders, but decided that it was for the best to avoid that fight. One PC lead a tribe of Grippli from the jungles back to civilization, where they have integrated with the population. Another PC became Queen of her home country. A third published the setting's equivalent of On the Origin of Species Two others became infamous pirates.

In my second campaign, the PCs managed to free two imprisoned gods and destroyed the last remaining Elven civilization before leading a massive effort to relocate the entire population of a major empire from one continent to another.

In the fourth campaign, the party failed to stop The Inquisition from destroying their homeland's secret guild of Mages, and only barely saved their home city from destruction at the cost of their own lives (as it was, thousands were slain by demons, undead, and constructs built by the BBEG before they stopped him).

Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Evolved and the Books of Eldritch Might
WarCraft (the RTS series and novels), and by extension Warhammer and Tolkien.
Ravenloft
Dark Sun
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson
The Bas-Lag novels by China Mieville
Everything I read to get a degree in English (especially Shakespear and Poe)
one of Johannes Kepler's discarded / inaccurte models of the solar system
World history and mythology.

The Cap'n
2007-12-19, 05:57 AM
Second verse same as the first...

1) Name of World
Volkheim is the name of the main country and the setting. The world itself is Uramon (same as the god who supposedly crafted it from his own essence).

I have yet to use this setting, but we should start in January.

None so far, but I have five players with character concepts waiting for the next semester.

Not nearly long enough yet. Check the wiki in my sig for what I do have.

Standard.

This setting is actually the result of combining three previous settings, Hargoth-Prin, Panarchus, and Zarandhal, all of which I had discarded previously. Currently, Hargoth, Prin, and Al-Zarand are countries in the setting, and Panarchus is the name of the Continent.

Pretty much the same as for Thraevin (see above).

The Cap'n

Umarth
2007-12-19, 10:07 AM
Lot of very intresting worlds so far.

I hope reading through these it will help inspire folks to keep working on thier homebrews and provide some new ideas.

akira72703
2007-12-19, 12:14 PM
Name:
Terrace it is the name of the first continent that was created for this world.

How Long have you been gaming in it?
16 years. Originally a friend of mine in high school and I created the world an the rules that would govern it so that we could play (at the time we were the only two people in our small town that we knew that played D n D.)

How many different gaming groups have played in it?
5: Each group played a different age and on different areas of the world. I used notes from these adventures to write a history for the world and peopled it with ex PC's as the main characters. No group has played for less than 2 years and the longest group played for 4.

How long is your homebrew documentation?
I have several thousand pages of documentation from the original hand written work that was done to the more modern electronic ones. There is also a host of short stories regarding prominent characters. The link below chronicles the first year or so of a new group playing in this world.
http://www.nwarpg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=299

This was a high magic campaign. although now i am retooling it to be low magic.

Has your world changed substantially since its creation.
Yes. I have overhauled it several times when the rules systems have changed. Once I even adapted it to another system (when 3.0 came out and I was deciding if i wanted to stick with it). I'm currently redesigning the d20 system to meet the requirements of the game i want to run. A low magic world.

Main Influences on the world?
The Land Series of novels featuring Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, Mists of Avalon, Myth Adventures, X Men comic series, Conan Movies, Wheel of Time Series, Dune Trilogies, The Koran, The Bible, assorted budhist doctrines, Sun Tsu art of War, The republic, the illiad, the oddyssey, and alot more that i cannot remember.

Magnificence
2007-12-19, 12:16 PM
1) Name of World
Magnificence! A made a small thread for it, I won't be updating it 'till I finish the campaign. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65186
Funnily, about two months, I made it in one night for a group of friends.

Just my current group. :smallredface:

The history an geography is around five pages long, but NPC's I just make up on the fly.

Low, yet magic flows through most things in life and their are gods ad spirits that have active control over everything from storms to particular caves.

Nope, but give it time...:smallamused:

Animals and totem spirits
Conan the Barbarian
Celtic, Norse, Germanic tales
Perhaps not the game itself any more, but the ideas behind the Legend of Zelda series
Samurai and revenge films
Japanese Kami, Roman Numia and many other spirits
Badly written Pulp comics, like the Shadow
Ancient DnD first edition junk, stab the goblins!

Umarth
2007-12-20, 04:25 PM
Just a quick summary about some of the stuff posted so far:

Worlds/Campaign:
Narrowlands - Umarth
Benevolence - Icewalker
Newr - Tialait
Suraen - brian c
East Coast: After Fall - Fox Hush
The Two Halves - dragonprime
Tarnor - adanedhel9
The World - cnsvnc
Salenheim - Burgo McSock
ennui - reorith
Valifrey - Sheyd
Ashkardia - Satyr
Thraevin & Uramon - The Cap'n
Terrace - akira72703
Magnificence! - Magnificence

Years Played: Looks like most of the worlds are either new (In Development or less than 1 year played) or have been arround quite a while.
In Development: 6 (Benevolence, Suraen, The Two Halves, ennui, Ashkardia, Uramon
1<: 4 (East Coast:After Fall, Salenheim, Valifrey, Magnificence!
1-3: 0
3+: 6 (Narrowlands, Newr, Tarnor, The World, Thraevin, Terrace)

Magic Levels: Low magic has a more homebrewed worlds than I would have expected. We had no "No Magic" worlds but that's probably not to surprising since we're using the d20 system.

No:
Low: 6 (Narrowlands, Tarnor, The World, Ashkardia, Uramon, Magnificence!)
Standard:3 (ennui, Valifrey, Uramon)
High: 4 (Benevolence, Newr, Suraen, The Two Halves)
Other: 3 East Coast:After Fall (high mutant), Salenheim (varies by age), Thraevin (non-standard)

Main influences by Magic Level: Here's a summary of what inspired folks devided up by magic level in the world. If your looking for ideas you might want to check some of these sources out.

No:

Low: Tolkien, Real World (Byzantium, Persia, Sumeria), math, experimental mechanics, CRPG: Lords of Doom, Riftwar Series, Exile games, Gurps Banestorm, Changeling: the Dreaming, George Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, The Land Series of novels, Mists of Avalon, Myth Adventures, X Men comic series, Conan Movies, Wheel of Time Series, Dune Trilogies, The Koran, The Bible, assorted budhist doctrines, Sun Tsu art of War, The republic, the illiad, the oddyssey,)

Standard: magic the gathering, fantasy short stories

High: the Hornblower books, Napoleon, Feudal Japan, Venice, the idea of Atlantis, Spain, the Aztecs, the Conquistadors and Spanish conquests, Fahrenheit 451, Cyberpunk, Steampunk, and Ravnica, Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, Real World, Rich Burlew's first New World articles, Robert Frost (Fire and Ice poem),

Other: (High Mutant) Fallout, Dark Tower, Zombie Movies, and FireFly, (Variable) Real World History (Rome, Nordic/Slavic, Turkish, Arabic, Japan), Magician by Raymond E. Feist, steampunk, dystopian totalitarianism, Modern World, (Non Standard)Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Evolved, WarCraft, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson, The Bas-Lag novels by China Mieville, Shakespear, Poe, Johannes Kepler's model of the solar system, World History

Goober4473
2007-12-20, 05:26 PM
I have a bunch of settings, and I'm working on yet another.

1) Name of World
Redemanus (http://www.edanet.com/goober/d&d.html) (sub-settings: Kreag, Zhu, Mealidra, Scythius, and Nadu'fas). The Material Plane is split into multiple layers, and access between them is difficult, essentially leaving them seperate settings.

Off and on for about 5 years. Started with Kreag for a while, then had games in Zhu then mealidra, and now running a game in Scythius with another group. Nadu'fas isn't done, and I haven't played it yet.

Two groups.

40-50 pages including race/class lists and such for all of the sub-settings.

Kreag is standard magic. Mealidra is standard, but no divine magic besides druid/ranger type stuff, plus Incarnum. Zhu is no magic, standard psionics. Scythius is standard magic, but no nature magic, and tons of undead. Nadu'fas will be high magic.

Besides the addition of more sub-settings, not a lot. I redid mapping, and updated to 3.5, and the timeline has progressed somewhat, but nothing too major.

Pretty much everything in D&D.

1) Name of World
Spell Lock

I haven't played in it.

None.

About 40 pages.

High-ish magic. All normal classes are magice-users. I made all-new classes, spell lists (plus some new spells), etc. Not a lot of work on the actual world though.

Haven't played it.

Mostly Directions of Destiny (http://directionsofdestiny.com/story/index.htm).

1) Name of World
Achiran

About a year now.

Just one.

About 30 pages and growing. Most of it is a magic item system I'm using, similar to socketing items or weapon/armor crystals, byt each one have 11 differant uses, depending on the type of item it's put in.

Standard magic, but maximum level is 6 (characters can gain gestalt levels, feats, skills, etc. after that).

Not so much yet, but it will by the end. I don't plan to use it again after this one game, but the game should run for quite some time yet.

Mostly just a desire to test out a level cap of 6, and try something new for progression (weird items, mostly). Otherwise somewhat Neverwinter Nights because you run into some ancient creature whose race used to rule the world. I'm using something similar, with an ancient race reawakening.

Meek
2007-12-20, 05:52 PM
1) Name of World

Eden, and you can find it on my crappy freewebs site

www.freewebs.com/edenlives

A few months

I've sort of handed it off to people to use in the little gaming community I have in my signature. So far, one group is actively playing it, under a DM who isn't me. I'm starting my own game in it now. I'm looking to see what ideas my group has, what kind of spins they put on the world, and I'm going to incorporate those ideas into the canon. Eventually. I'm kinda lazy.

I don't know, I always write it on the freewebs site. I don't really have it in a Document. Now that you mention it, I should. When I feel less lazy.

Wacked out high magic, pie-in-the-sky high magic. There are chaotic neutral semi-deities (and one full blown deity) walking the Earth who will troll you like kids in a chatroom, and the average village either has a dedicated groups of casters or a village angel/demon/other (village spirit) who casts for them, or they get pwnt.

Substantially? Can't tell you that for certain, but some things have happened, I suppose.

Nothing really. I just took some ideas I've been having and made them a reality. There wasn't a lot of "pick from here or there". Though the religious system of Eden is like ancestor worship, or Shinto, or stuff like that, wherein there are spirits everywhere that govern different sorts of worldly and otherworldly concepts.