PDA

View Full Version : Flagmaking

Icewalker
2007-12-18, 10:58 PM
I'm looking for a good online program that makes flags. The kind of thing which has images/symbols to place in different ways.

Danzaver
2007-12-19, 05:20 PM
Do you mean heraldry? (like crests and coats of arms)

As it happens, heraldry is one of my hobbies.

I know of one such online program, but it is extremely confusing for people who don't understand basic armorial rules (like which colours are allowed to be placed next to which colours and quartering rules and so on). It's also very very limited in the amount of devices it has available, so it's not really worth it.

What did you have in mind? I could guide you through the basics, or make something for you if you gave me an idea of what you wanted.

Like:
Colours preferred

Devices preferred (animals, creatures, devices such as crosses, stars, etc.)

Complexity of field (sectioned into quarters, halves, etc. - multiple devices)

Just chuck something out and seriously, I have so many books on the subject I can knock something up - there are hundreds of different devices you can use.

I can also make things based on meanings - for example if I wanted to make a shield indicating ferocity in battle and telling the story of an ancestor who charged and broke a unit of archers, saving the day, I would place a lion, breaking an arrow in its hands or mouth. But if I placed a square-ended cross of equal length on all 4 sides, the arrow would then signify overcoming a serious disease, but without an arrow, that cross would signify membership among the Knights Hospitaller.

It's fun stuff, heraldry 8D

Ashtar
2007-12-19, 06:08 PM
Heraldry? Goody goody! Someone might be able to tell me about my family crests...

My family's crest of is:
"The shield is silver and inside a border composed of black heraldic swallows (8 - 3 top row, 1 tip, 2 on each side) is another black shield from which the centre has been removing showing the silver field colour."
The crest should date back to around 1300-1400AD.

I've also got a crest from my mother's side, but it is much more complicated and I don't have a heraldic description at hand.

Edit - My mum's side crest is something like a shield with a quartered shield inside, with two bee's hives and two hammers arranged in a diagonal pattern. On top of the quartered shield there is something, vines maybe? Don't know about colours though, since the only representation I have ever seen of it was on family silverware. I'll have to check that up when I go to see her. It should be Italian in origin (Aubort - Auberti).

Icewalker
2007-12-19, 06:52 PM
Well, not looking for very complex stuff, and not to be made in real life. I'm hoping to get a picture of a flag for each nation in my campaign world, so just an image on the computer.

The only one I know of so far, is white field with a green crescent facing down, below which is a gold chrysanthemum pattern.

Other than that I'm not sure yet...

Ashtar
2007-12-20, 05:05 AM
In that case, I would use Inkscape to make the flags. Select a standard size, and let your imagination flow.

For colours, it's better to use colors that can be obtained through natural dyes (http://www.pioneerthinking.com/naturaldyes.html).

For designs on the flags, begin with simple stuff, heraldic animals, plain fields, stars...

LordOfXoriat
2007-12-20, 05:10 PM
-edit_deleted-

Danzaver
2007-12-20, 05:43 PM
For colours, it's better to use colors that can be obtained through natural dyes

Speaking medieval dyes - there are some museum pieces of actual fabrics of colour so vibrant that if I hadn't seen it myself, I wouldn't have believed it were possible to get it with natural dyes. What's more, it is still so bright after some 400 years, when our modern dyes run out and fade quite quickly! :O

Heraldry? Goody goody! Someone might be able to tell me about my family crests...

I'll take a poke around - as it happens, 1300-1400 is my specialty, and from your description, the field seems to match the trends for heraldry in that time, though the border doesn't become enormously popular until later. It should also be noted that the official rules for heraldry weren't collated until 14803 (i think), so such an early shield might even break the rules a bit :)

If you want to help me though, tell me the nationalities of the names. Where they originated from, and if they are scottish or irish or anything, if you know your clan, that would help too. Plus, if you know of any famous ancestors that would help a lot too.

...but first, I'm going to try to make a small DIY heraldry guide here....

I think I might make it in a new thread....