PDA

View Full Version : Trifecta: City of the Tirenes

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-19, 12:48 AM
You find yourselves in the great port city of Elistarimal, recuperating from your last adventure, and replenishing your supplies. As you stroll through the market, a sign, pasted to a pillar, catches your eye. The notice reads as follows:

"Attention. Hardy Adventurers needed. Follow the great and noble tradition, and earn $$$! Legitimate professional work, no amateurs need apply. Interested parties inquire with Hamul of Akish, at the Silent Star Inn."

Xilehxt
2007-12-19, 01:25 AM
A'kma the Crimson

Looking at the poster, a young man with unkempt shoulder length dark hair gives a small, barely audible sigh. His large, sharp red eyes dart quickly toward his companions then towards the ground as he thinks,

Ah, Styrr and Nenna will probably take this...how bothersome. Haven't had much time to knit since Master ordered me to travel with them..

He pats down his clothes as he attempts to keep walking as if he didn't see anything, his face expressionless as ever.

Chancellor
2007-12-19, 01:58 AM
Dresden DeLay

Dresden looks at the note, intrigued about the idea of earning some gold, yet still skeptical.

Ah, far too vague. Might as well have a note that says 'Looking for Work?'

Dresden looks back over at A'kma and smirks, "Fancy a Pint?"

Alicorn
2007-12-19, 09:00 AM
Nenna Shiruethe

The aasimar peers at the sign, running a hand through her silvery hair to tuck it behind her ears. "Awfully vague," she remarks. "That could either mean it's lying about being "legitimate professional work" or that it's either too dangerous or too petty to attract the typical adventurer... but it could also mean whoever made the sign just isn't good at making signs. Either way it couldn't hurt to swing by the inn and look into it."

Nenna then reads the sign aloud quietly for Styrr's benefit.

Apollyon
2007-12-19, 09:32 AM
Zinnanda Mint

Zinnnanda glances at the sign. "Legitimate professional work? That means that we are either moving stolen goods or will be sitting behind a table, going over the inventory of some warehouse."

She gives an exaggerated sigh. "Well, if there's one thing that I'm good at, it's inventory. So we might as well see what this is about. If it turns out to be the former, I have no interest in taking the job."

Alicorn
2007-12-19, 10:09 AM
Nenna

"Moving stolen goods isn't legitimate, is it? I mean, depending on who you steal them from, no skin off my nose, but "legitimate"? And if it were inventory I don't think he'd be looking for "hardy adventurers"."

Apollyon
2007-12-19, 11:37 AM
Zinnanda Mint

"No one said that he needs to be honest on a sign. If he's really desperate and trying to fence things, I don't think that he'd have success advertising for 'Shady Professionals Wanted'. If we would be taking inventory and he needs hardy adventurers, I could certainly see having us count the number of trolls in a cage. The hardy part is necessary because trolls will rip you in half if you give them a chance to."

Tortoise262
2007-12-19, 12:09 PM
Lorellia Lyrenth

Lori reads aloud, "'Great and noble tradition...' That sounds right up my alley. Though I never really thought of myself as a 'hardy' adventurer..."

Xilehxt
2007-12-19, 02:22 PM
As he peers about his companions who were quabbling over what the sign could mean, he gives a shake of the head and a hand of denial to Dresden's offer. It was just past noon and the man wanted to drink? A'kma calmly thinks of Hamul and see what he knows about him while the discussion goes around him.

[roll0]

(OOC: Uh oh...natural 20 on a first roll on a trivial roll. This can't be good...)

Turbit
2007-12-19, 03:35 PM
Tolbin removed his wide brimed hat to wipe from his brow as he approached his friends. It was a hot day already and would only get hotter. He noticed the sign that the other were talking about. He read over the sign as he listen to his companions discussing it's content. He shrugged.

"Any sorta work would do right now. I fear we are low on funds yet high on expenses", he before a smile crept on to his face as he took his wineskin, "I fear we are even running low on wine. A problem that needs to be fixed post haste."

Chancellor
2007-12-19, 07:56 PM
Dresden

Dresden gave a toothless grin at Tolbin, "Agreed."

"Come along, people, we don't have all day." Dresden looked around at his peers, "Either come with Tolbin and I to the Inn or don't, its up to you." Dresden quickly spun around on his heels and began to walk towards the Silent Star Inn at a brisk pace.

Apollyon
2007-12-19, 08:25 PM
Zinnanda Mint

"It will be interesting to see what he would have us do."

(OOC: I'm assuming that it's paper) She tears down the flyer and starts walking with the other two. "We might want this to show him when we approach him. With any luck, it will be inventory, so A'kma can get back to knitting."

(OOC: What's the policy for animal companions in the city? Do they stay outside or are they allowed in, but only if they don't start attacking people?)

Xilehxt
2007-12-19, 09:20 PM
(OOC: A'kma knitting is...sorta private. Don't think anyone knows that he tailors)

Hmm, looks like the job will be fine. Just think of it as training...

A'kma follows the rest of the group, imagining that he was in his lab, researching a new spell.

Tortoise262
2007-12-19, 10:57 PM
Lorellia Lyrenth

Lori follows, too, but reverts her attention back to the literature which she brought with her.

Turbit
2007-12-21, 07:03 PM
Tolbin

Tolbin takes a final sip from his wine before staring at it falornly. "Tis nothing sadder...." He sighed to himself as he tucked the now empty wineskin back into his pack. Looking up he can see the rest of the group are already on their way to the Inn. With a curse and anither sigh he tries to catch up with them.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-26, 03:44 PM
When you arrive at the inn, after a short conversation with the innkeeper, you're ushered up the stairs to a small suite of rooms. The innkeeper leaves you with a swarthy skinned, lean man, dressed in unusual attire. A falchion longer than Nenna is tall leans against one wall. The thin man is in the process of packing away a number of parchments as you enter. He sketches a low bow before gesturing for you all to sit.

"My name is Hamul of Akish," he says, his words heavily accented, but intelligible. "You wish to discuss business, yes?"

Alicorn
2007-12-26, 05:41 PM
Nenna

Nenna eyes the falchion with something between professional interest and a sort of visceral "cool!" reaction, before nodding at the man. "What kind of job do you have to offer?"

Apollyon
2007-12-26, 06:38 PM
Zinnanda

Zinnanda pulls out the flyer. "I must say, that is an impressive weapon. I'm curious as to what would require someone who can wield that to seek outside help."

Turbit
2007-12-26, 10:42 PM
After a quick stop at the bar Tolbin entered the room as he removed a silver spoon from his pouch. "May Aiath bless you with Wine, Women and Song!" He proclaimed to the man as he moved the spoon through a complex design. When he was done he bowed and placed the spoon in his belt pouch.

He moved to one of the preoffer seats and lounged onto it. "Do you have glasses or mugs, my good Sir? It is tradition for my order start our discussions with with a glass of Aiath's blessed wine." He said with his normal grin. "I will, of course, supply the wine." He hoisted his now full wineskin.

OOC: How much is a waterskin full of wine going to run me?

Xilehxt
2007-12-27, 01:16 AM
A'kma sees the sword and is highly doubtful that the falchion can be wielded the short man that is before him. He stands at the back of the group, letting the others talk while he happily thinks of the calculations needed for a fireball.

Chancellor
2007-12-27, 02:24 AM
"Business, eh? Well, that sounds fine by me." Dresden smirks, visions of piles of gold dancing in his head.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-27, 04:03 PM
Hamul emits a deep-throated chuckle at the druid's question. "My chosen line of work is not to seek such adventure myself, but to work as a middle-man for those who do. Finding work is not always a simple matter, and finding steady, well-paying work, is even more difficult. My employers pay me a finder's fee for hiring groups such as yourselves. Which, to get to the point, is why you're here. A mage of my acquaintance wishes a particular relic in a particular ruin retrieved for him. Once he has it, he will have continuing need of a group to handle other such missions. I assure you, it's all strictly legal. No underhanded affairs, and no need to come cross-wise of the authorities. Sound like an offer you'd be willing to consider?"

Apollyon
2007-12-27, 05:22 PM
Zinnanda

"It sounds much better than inventory. What needs to be retrieved and from where?"

Turbit
2007-12-27, 05:43 PM
"Not to mention, how much are we getting paid and will we be getting any benfits?" Tolbin added.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-28, 01:10 PM
"Your initial fee will be a thousand gold pieces each-- paid in platinum. In addition, you make keep any spoils you find in the ruin, beside the relic in question. There's an abandoned mage's tower on the coast of the Sumaterian Lakes. Somewhere inside is a large crystal ball." Hamul holds his hands about two feet apart. "Your employer wishes to have that item recovered for his use. To his best guess, the item resides inside the workroom, although he's not certain of that."

Xilehxt
2007-12-28, 03:48 PM
A'kma quietly listens, going over the stuff in his head.

Knowledge(arcana) to see if he knows about this large crystal ball.
[roll0]
Again to see if he knows anything about the mage that used to reside there.
[roll1]

-edit-
...I'm at a loss for words. If this is where all my 20s are going to turn up...I better start saving them for when they're actually needed.

Tortoise262
2007-12-28, 05:34 PM
Lorellia Lyrenth

Lori's heart leaps as she thinks to herself, This is just like the old story of Seth the Sage who wanted to find adventurers to explore the Misty Caverns to find his lost turtle! ... er, sort of... "Well this should be at least as exciting, anyway!" she blurts out. Oh, no! I said that out loud! Lori's normally-pale cheecks turn bright pink.
guess I'll roll a couple knowledge arcana checks as well (same order):
[roll0]
[roll1]

Turbit
2007-12-28, 06:42 PM
Tolbin

After seeing Lori's reaction a smile breaks across Tolbin's face. "Anything other then a book that excites even our little bookworm can't be bad. I've always said it is such a sad thing that such beauty is always hidden by the cover of a book. So what about the rest of you? Are we in or out?"

Chancellor
2007-12-28, 07:26 PM
Dresden takes a drink from his mug and nods nonchalantly.

Alicorn
2007-12-28, 07:31 PM
Nenna

"In," sighs the shorter of the two barbarians, although it is plain that she is disappointed that the job involves no vanquishing of great evil.

Apollyon
2007-12-29, 09:45 PM
Zinnanda

"Why was this tower abandoned? It's rare for someone to just walk away from something valuable, like a building."

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-31, 01:45 PM
Hamul shrugs at the druid's question. "Why is any home or even city abandoned and left to fall into ruin? Occupants leave, or die, and noone chooses to settle in their place. I'm not a student of archaeology, so I cannot answer you more specifically."

(Akma and Lori-- you don't have enough information about the site to know anything yet, but I'll save the checks for when you do. Right now, it's about like saying, 'it's an old tower somewhere along Lake Superior'. Could be any number of places.)

Apollyon
2008-01-01, 01:04 PM
Zinnanda

"There's a big difference between 'an collector of treasures that died of old age' and 'a wizard who opened up a portal to foul places, was brutally slaughtered, and now the tower is host to horrific abominations.'"

She sighs and continues "Do you at least have an idea of how long it's been abandoned?"

Xilehxt
2008-01-01, 06:33 PM
A'kma the Crimson

The stoic mage stands in the back of the group, giving a small sigh as he knew, that in the end, they would take the job and go on the chase anyway and these details would reveal themselves as necessary. He conjures two small pebbles from thin air and starts playing with them expertly in his fingers.(Of course, he does this discreetly. The whole thing is covered by his sleeves)

Chancellor
2008-01-02, 12:36 AM
This Tower is bound to have some loot in it. Dresden smirked and finished up his mug of stout ale. Now, the question is: What should I pack?

(OOC: Knowledge: Dungeoneering) )

EDIT: OOC: D'OH! Rolled a one (plus seven) for 8. How do add your bonus? Is it just a +7? i.e. [roll]1d20+7 OK, I got it.

Apollyon
2008-01-02, 11:40 AM
Zinnanda

Zinnanda looks over at Dresden. "I'd advise getting extra trail rations. And you might want to invest in a Bag of Holding, just to put a few kegs of ale. Kumeri knows how you haven't pickled yourself by now."

Chancellor
2008-01-02, 01:42 PM
Dresden

"A few Kegs?" He shakes his head, What a clown. Dresden flags down a barmaid, Hey, luv, can I get some eggs and a shaker of arsenic? Thanks."

Chancellor
2008-01-02, 01:45 PM
Dresden

"A few Kegs?" He shakes his head, What a clown. Dresden flags down a barmaid, "Hey, luv, can I get some eggs and a shaker of arsenic? Thanks. Oh! And more ale," he takes his mug and shakes it upside down, letting a few drops hit the table, "I seem to be out."

OOC: Oops, double post :smallredface: ; this is the complete one.

mdsoze
2008-01-04, 02:56 PM
Styrr

The larger of the barbarians chooses to speak finally.

I have questions, Hamul of Akish.

Who is this mage who desires the artifact? What does he desire it for?

When handling this artifact and transporting it, are there any hazards we should be aware of?

And what is known about the tower where it is being held?

Styrr leans heavily on his greataxe, resting a bit.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-04, 08:10 PM
"At least a hundred fifty years. And the most likely hazards are those of time and nature-- wild animals and crumbling walls. As I understand it, the relic should be inert, and not cause you any difficulty in transport-- as to the name of my employer, he wishes to, for the time being, remain anonymous." Hamul glances in puzzlement as Dresden starts making strange requests of the empty air. "Your friend? Is he reliable? I do not like employing folks who take exotic mushrooms. They're inclined to sloppy work."

Chancellor
2008-01-04, 09:27 PM
Dresden yells drunkenly, "Reliability is my Middle Name; Dresden, Reliability..." He stops in mid-sentence, his finger in the air as the world spins around him, he eyes glazing over. "I think I need some air, if you would excuse me..." Dresden stumbles out of his chair and out onto the open street.

mdsoze
2008-01-04, 11:47 PM
Styrr

I think he enjoys city life a bit too much. Getting out of town will do wonders for him.

Apollyon
2008-01-06, 10:50 PM
Zinnanda

"I suppose that I shall go after him to make sure that he doesn't get himself into trouble. Hamul, I am interested in the job, should the rest of my friends show interest." Zinnanda says, before turning around and heading for the door.

Before reaching the door, she turns her head back into the room,"And if he ate strange mushrooms, he didn't get them from me. If nothing else, I know which mushrooms are safe to eat." With that said, she turns and exits the room, grumbling in a strange language.

OOC: I'm going to follow Dresden.

Xilehxt
2008-01-07, 10:33 AM
A'kma rolls his eyes as he still plays with the pebbles. Although he wasn't versed in alchemy, he thinks to himself to look into alcohol and why it makes people act the way Dresden did. It was only a matter of time before the group takes the job anyway...

Chancellor
2008-01-07, 02:17 PM
OOC: Bluff to act drunk d20+11

Dresden stumbles out of the tavern, and lurches over to a nearby alleyway before he lets down his guard with a heavy sigh, pressing his weight up against a wall. Stupid, Dresden, stupid stupid stupid! He grits his teeth and spins a gold coin through his fingers, Whatever happened to discretion? The LAST thing you want to do is draw attention to yourself. You remember what happened last time your tongue got a little too loose in a bar? Dresden shakes his head, looking around to make sure he wasn't followed.

OOC: Spot d20-1

Chancellor
2008-01-07, 02:29 PM
OOC: Bluff to act drunk [roll0]

OOC: Spot [roll1]

OOC: Err, stupid dice roller... :smallfurious:

mdsoze
2008-01-07, 03:03 PM
Styrr

Styrr looks around, makes eye contact with Nenna, and then the others, and if there are no obvious signs of discontent.

Hamul of Akish, I agree to retrieve this item.

Turbit
2008-01-07, 06:52 PM
Tolbin

"I'm in. These dour companions of mine would be in a pretty grim place without me to help raise their spirits." Tobin said before laugh at the double mean.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-08, 11:51 AM
Hamul shrugs. "Very well. Although I don't find your group particularly reliable, one should never judge on first meetings. And if you fail in the attempt, I can always recruit someone else. You have ten days before I start seeking replacements."

He sketches out a map to the area of the tower. "Any further questions?"

mdsoze
2008-01-08, 09:27 PM
Styrr

Where is the platinum?

Xilehxt
2008-01-09, 04:29 AM
A'kma gives a nod to anyone that cares.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-09, 11:33 AM
Hamul spills a few platinum coins into his hand, displaying them. "Proof that I have the coin. Payment upon delivery, of course."

mdsoze
2008-01-09, 11:40 AM
Styrr

Styrr grunts, clearly dissatisfied that he misunderstood "initial fee", and then turns towards the rest of the group.

I'm ready to go. It looks to be a three day ride. I think we should cover some of the distance with the daylight that is left.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-10, 07:29 PM
(Anything more you wish to do in town before moving on?)

Tortoise262
2008-01-10, 07:53 PM
Lorellia Lyrenth

Saying nothing, Lori unties Salmarnez and hops on his back, then returns to her novel.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-13, 12:39 PM
Your journey takes, as Styrr predicted, three days. Approximately midday on the third day, you arrive along the rocky coast of the lake-- looking to be a freshwater ocean, as the far side can't be seen over the horizon. An hour later, you approach the spot on the map, and a jutting tower, looking like the remains of an old lighthouse stands like an arm raised in defiance out of the rock itself. While dilapidated and old, the structure itself appears sound, and unlikely to topple in on itself while you are inside.

(It's about 12:30 in the afternoon-- what would you like to do next?)

Xilehxt
2008-01-13, 06:38 PM
A'kma gets closer to have a look at the tower, trying to figure out the era of its construction. Then perhaps can know more about the mage and the crystal ball.

Knowledge(architecture) [roll0]

mdsoze
2008-01-14, 10:29 PM
Styrr

Well, this looks fairly straightforward. Go in, find the treasure, and leave. Why are we standing here? Let's get moving. The sooner we achieve this, the sooner we might get some real work.

Styrr begins moving towards the tower, unless someone says something.

Xilehxt
2008-01-15, 12:37 AM
Quite an old architechture. I wonder what could lurk within...

A'kma follows Styrr's lead.

Tortoise262
2008-01-15, 12:46 AM
Lorellia Lyrenth

"What'dya think, Sal? Wanna go in?"

Alicorn
2008-01-15, 10:25 AM
Nenna

The aasimar, seeing little point in discussing whether or not to enter when they've spent so long in arriving, sets off after Styrr.

Apollyon
2008-01-15, 09:37 PM
Zinnanda

"Hold on a few seconds, let me divine out how much danger that we'll be in."

Zinnanda pulls out a pile of inscribed bones, manipulates them, chants a few words, and then pauses, as she finishes her casting of the spell.

(OOC: Omen of Peril from Complete Divine, page 171)

Chancellor
2008-01-16, 12:41 AM
Dresden

Dresden, remaining more or less silent for the trip, decides to finally speak up, "Hold up, mates, this tower may be trapped. You can never be too careful."

OOC: Searching for traps on the front door: 1d20+13

Chancellor
2008-01-16, 12:43 AM
OOC: ahem...

[roll0]

Alicorn
2008-01-16, 09:41 AM
Nenna

Nenna sighs and stops, leaning against her scythe as her more cautious companions complete their preparatory behaviors.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-16, 11:53 AM
The door, if it could still be called that, given its condition, is clearly not trapped. There is some danger of the rotted wood collapsing on the person opening it, however.

Apollyon
2008-01-17, 09:21 PM
Zinnanda

"The good news is that we shouldn't find any kind of horrific evil in here. The bad news is that sometimes, the future isn't quite as predicted. All the same, who knows what's in here?"

mdsoze
2008-01-17, 10:10 PM
Styrr

The artifact is here. That's all I need to know. Are you gonna look at that door all day, or can we go in?

Chancellor
2008-01-18, 03:00 AM
Dresden

Dresden brushs off his pants as his stands up off of the ground, "Well, other than being pitifully old there's no danger to this door. Styrr, if you would be so kind as to take the point?" Dresden gives an obnoxious smirk and points at the entrance with a flourish.

mdsoze
2008-01-19, 10:25 AM
Styrr

Styrr recognized that smirk. He knew it meant to be careful. Last time he had ignored that smirk, he had ended up unconscious for four hours.

Styrr moves towards the door, and then attempts to open the door, being careful if anything should come at him or attempt to fall on him.

If the door opens without incident, Styrr peers into the room, taking out his everburning torch if the room is too dark to see into with natural light.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-20, 01:20 AM
OOC: Need a reflex save from Styrr.

mdsoze
2008-01-20, 09:28 AM
Styrr

Reflex Save [roll0]

If I am saving against a trap, add 1 to that result.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-23, 07:33 PM
As Styrr pushes on the door, it crumbles to splinters around him. A large piece smacks him on the head (5 subdual damage). No traps go off and the party can enter a musty entryway. Three doors are in the room, in better condition than the one that fell apart on Styrr, one opposite the entrance, and one on either wall.

Apollyon
2008-01-24, 07:31 PM
Zinnanda

"I doubt that really counted as danger. So far, my Omen is correct. Styrr, you are all right?"

Zinnanda enters the room with Galbraith following behind her.

OOC: Is there any dust in the room? If so, are there any footprints in the dust that aren't mine?

Tortoise262
2008-01-24, 08:01 PM
Lorellia Lyrenth
OOC: Can Lori ride her mule in?

Xilehxt
2008-01-24, 08:51 PM
Ancient building indeed.

A'kma looks around at the hall, his hands covering to keep the dust out. He looks for any sign of recent use. (like unsettled dust)

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-29, 12:37 PM
The floor is caked with layers of dirt and detritus-- leaves, twigs, droppings of squirrels and rabbits. No obvious footprints can be found. Lori's mule could fit, but it would be a very tight fit.

Alicorn
2008-01-29, 01:18 PM
Nenna

Nenna peers around at the room, decides it's not going to attack her, and proceeds to open the leftmost door in the hopes of finding something that might, so she can let out pent-up barbarous wrath accumulated from days of dull travel.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-29, 01:28 PM
The door opens into...

...what appears to be a dorm room. The room is about 30 feet long and half again as wide with a bed along each wall every five feet (12 total, 6 on each side). Each bed has a small chest nestled at its foot. The bedding is mouldering and quite rotted looking. Opposite the door Nenna opened stands another door at the far end of the room. The floor here is less caked with debris-- portions of the flagstone can still be seen, although the same sort of detritus lies scattered about, and in addition, a number of thick cobwebs fill the empty space under a few of the beds.

mdsoze
2008-01-29, 01:47 PM
Styrr

Styrr recovers from being hit on the head, and glares at the doorframe, as if to blame it from falling on him.

He then moves up with Nenna, looking into the room.

Looks like a guardhouse. I doubt there is anything of interest here. Soldiers usually make off with all of their own possessions.

Assuming no one wants to investigate this room further, Styrr will open up the door on the right wall.

Apollyon
2008-01-29, 07:40 PM
Zinnanda

"You never truly know what you can find, though. Just give me a second."

Zinnanda walks over to the chests, and asks, "Dresden, would you be so kind to check these over for me? I doubt that they are trapped, but one never knows. While I have much in the way of healing, I would prefer to save it for a time when the wounding isn't preventable."

Chancellor
2008-01-29, 09:50 PM
Dresden

"Yeah, yeah, Mint, just a tic." Dresden clears his throat and leans down for a closer look, taking out his locksmith tools if he needs to open the chests.

Chancellor
2008-01-29, 09:58 PM
Dresden

OOC: Search: [roll0]

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-29, 10:07 PM
None of the chests appear locked or trapped.

Tortoise262
2008-01-29, 11:59 PM
Lorellia Lyrenth

Lorellia procures her bow and quiver from Sal's saddle. She also grabs a couple of scrolls and affixes them to her belt. She then hops off and leads her mount into the old building.

Apollyon
2008-02-03, 12:37 PM
Zinnanda

Upon seeing no reaction from Dresden to unlock or otherwise manipulate the chests, Zinnanda walks over to the chests and opens each of them, looking for anything, be it personal effects or any indications of damage to show why the place is deserted.

Chancellor
2008-02-04, 02:19 PM
Dresden

Oy, there's nothing here... Dresden shakes his head and looks at the worthless articles in the room.

"Mint, you're free to take a look around but this place looks like its been abandoned for some time," Dresden kicks a chest, "I'd say all the good stuff has been looted ages ago..."

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-02-05, 03:30 PM
A quick inventory of the chests reveals mostly mouldering wizard's robes. A couple of items catch the eye of Zinnanda: a thin dagger untouched by rust, a crumbling leather pouch filled with silver pieces (35 on close count) and a pair of sunrods.

Apollyon
2008-02-09, 03:42 PM
Zinnanda

"Oi, Styrr, guardhouse, you said? Because usually guards don't wear wizards robes. And Dresden, here's something useful."

With that, Zinnanda tosses both sunrods to Dresden.

"This was most likely the apprentice quarters. So far, all that I've been able to find is this dagger, those sunrods, and some silver. I'll hold onto this for now. Once we are out of here, we'll deal with it. After you, Styrr."

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-02-11, 11:41 AM
There is a door in this room, and two doors in the entrance hall you have yet to try-- are any of you going to make an attempt at them, or do you have something else you'd rather do?

Alicorn
2008-02-11, 12:14 PM
Nenna

Nenna tries the door leading out of the dormitory room.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-02-11, 12:38 PM
The door opens into a privy-- the lack of any odor indicates that it's been unused for quite some time.

Alicorn
2008-02-11, 01:14 PM
Nenna

Nenna, so far unimpressed by the tower, turns around and tries the middle door leading out from the entrance hall.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-02-11, 01:52 PM
The door Nenna opens leads to a wide flight of stairs descending to a sturdier looking oak door at the bottom.

Tortoise262
2008-02-11, 05:14 PM
Lorellia Lyrenth

"Pardon me," Lori murmurs, and she walks by her friends into the room beyond the dormitory and shuts the door. Through the closed door, she is heard shouting, "Dresden, you better stay away, if you know what's good for you!"

mdsoze
2008-02-11, 05:34 PM
Styrr

Styrr attempts the final door, the one on the opposite side of the entry room from the dormitory.

Chancellor
2008-02-11, 09:33 PM
Dresden looks at the sunrods, "I could make better ones." His mutters through his teeth, "Lori, I wouldn't dream of it. Well, perhaps a nightmare..." Dresden breathes a little laugh and follows Nenna down the stairs.

"Nenna, I'm right behind you, lemme take a look at that door."

Chancellor
2008-02-11, 09:34 PM
Search: [roll0]

Xilehxt
2008-02-12, 11:26 AM
A'kma follows nonchalantly, by now used to the petty conversation that flits between the members of his party. He wonders why ever his master told him to travel as he thinks of all the more magic he could be learning in this time.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-02-12, 12:00 PM
As Lori makes use of the privy, she feels a distinct burning sensation on her posterior (2 acid damage).

Apollyon
2008-02-12, 10:59 PM
Zinnanda

"I'm sure that you can make better sunrods, Dresden; I have full confidence in you. But we have some right now, instead of in the future, when you'll have your better sunrods." Zinnanda remarks as she walks down the stairs.

Tortoise262
2008-02-12, 11:12 PM
Lorellia Lyrenth

"Eeek!" Lori screams as she runs out to hide in the middle of the party.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-02-12, 11:14 PM
Dresden finds nothing unusual about the door, but it is locked.

Chancellor
2008-02-13, 12:51 AM
Dresden

"Ahem."

Open Lock: [roll0]

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-02-13, 12:59 AM
Lori is followed by a large mass of grey slime. Meanwhile Dresden opens the lock.

(You have a couple of rounds before the ooze is close enough to force initiative, unless anyone chooses to start combat before that point.)

Xilehxt
2008-02-13, 03:18 AM
A'kma murmurs, Fascinating..., as he tries to remember anything about the creature from his readings. Perhaps getting out to travel wasn't so pointless to see something he's only learnt from books.

Knowledge(dungeoneering) [roll0]

However, apparently, he does not know much about this creature except that it's an ooze. He stills notes the creature's slow speed and suggests dispatching it from range.

mdsoze
2008-02-13, 09:26 AM
Styrr

As A'kma speaks, Styrr turns to see what's so fascinating. He sees the moving mass of slime, and figures he should yell downstairs.

Nenna! Dresden! Something is moving up here!

Tortoise262
2008-02-13, 09:34 AM
Lorellia Lyrenth

Regaining her composure, Lori pulls out her bow, notches an arrow, and lets it fly!

[roll0], [roll1] (add 1 to each roll if it's within 30 feet)

OOC: :smallfrown: Darn oozes and their immunity to crits...

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-02-13, 11:58 AM
All right, then. I need initiatives from everyone please.

Alicorn
2008-02-13, 12:50 PM
Nenna

Init 14+5=19

Nenna will take a move action to get adjacent to the slime, and then attack it with her scythe.

Attack 9+12=21
Damage 3+1+8=12

Tortoise262
2008-02-13, 05:27 PM
Lorellia Lyrenth

Initiative: [roll0]
Did that shot count?

Xilehxt
2008-02-13, 07:39 PM
A'kma the Crimson

Initiative [roll0]

A'kma just watches the fight, standing back and watching for any thing else that might be nearby, confident that his help isn't needed to kill the creature.

Spot [roll1]

Apollyon
2008-02-13, 08:16 PM
Zinnanda

[roll0]

Zinnanda pulls out her club, mumbles a few words, and advances nearer the slime, making sure to stay behind Nenna.

OOC: Shillelagh.

mdsoze
2008-02-14, 01:47 PM
Styrr

Styrr's initiative [roll0]

If there is space available, Styrr will move adjacent to the slime while drawing his greataxe.

He has 40' move speed. If it is possible for him to move to a location that will give him flanking, he will do so, even if he has to risk an attack of opportunity to get there.

He then attacks the slime, using power attack for -3/+6.

Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

The attack roll does not include a possible flanking bonus.

Chancellor
2008-02-14, 11:06 PM
Dresden

Hmm, sounds like Lori's in trouble...

"I'm comin'!" Dresden bounds back up the stairs and draws his Heavy Repeating Crossbow, keeping his distance from the creature.

Initiative: [roll0]

Xilehxt
2008-02-27, 11:10 PM
(OOC: So....were we waiting for the DM? Or was it something else?)

mdsoze
2008-02-28, 08:18 AM
(I think we're waiting for Turbit/Tolbin to post. Or at least, if we've lost our cleric, it might be a good idea to find a new one.)

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-03-20, 11:58 AM
The ooze dissolves under the heavy barrage of attacks, including the particularly fierce blows from Nenna and Styrr. Lori's arrow passes clear through the creature, shattering against the opposite wall and leaving a pock mark where the acidic gel eats into the stone. The floor is also slightly pitted along the trail the creature took.

(I need reflex saves from Nenna and Styrr please)

The fight is over, although Lori will likely be suffering some scarring from the experience. And in the brief scuffle, Tolbin appears to have gone missing somehow.

Alicorn
2008-03-20, 03:39 PM
Nenna

Reflex save: 11+6=17

mdsoze
2008-03-24, 02:58 PM
Styrr's Reflex save: 13

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1536643/

Xilehxt
2008-03-24, 03:17 PM
A'kma

A'kma comes up to the creature to collect some of its remains in a small glass vial. He looks around, worried that Tolbin had become lost and suggests to the rest of the party that they go look for him.

Apollyon
2008-03-24, 07:05 PM
Zinnanda

"Well, that was short-lived. Is everyone alright? And what happened? I was going down the stairs and then I heard Lorellia shriek."

Zinnanda pauses, takes a short breath, gives a slight frown for a fleeting moment, and continues, "Would it be a good idea for us to stick together? This wasn't very difficult, but you never know if there's something else here that might pose a challenge."

She slowly looks around, and then looks around again, her head making a slight bob for each member of the party. "It appears that we are missing someone. Where did Tolbin go?"

mdsoze
2008-03-28, 10:47 AM
Styrr

He probably couldn't handle the reality of combat. Or maybe he went to look for a safe place to relieve himself. Regardless, I think we might as well press on.

Styrr looks down at his axe, and notices some pitting in the metal.

It looks like my weapon took some damage from the slime. Perhaps we can repair it after this. Shall we explore the other side of this room before continuing down the stairs?

Tortoise262
2008-03-30, 12:38 AM
Lorellia Lyrenth

"Speaking of which... Is there a safe place to relieve oneself? I still kinda have to go..."

Xilehxt
2008-03-30, 11:52 AM
A'kma

Do as you wish. I can fix the axe when we get back.

A'kma takes out a pinch of grain to feed his rat familiar San, then she runs off somewhere.

mdsoze
2008-03-31, 10:40 AM
Styrr

Lorellia, I might suggest waiting until we stop outside. There may not be a safe place here.

Styrr goes to the opposite side of the initial room from the barracks (not the stairs door), and opens it.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-03-31, 11:30 AM
Styrr sees another stairwell, this one climbing upwards instead of down.

mdsoze
2008-03-31, 02:38 PM
Styrr

Well, this one goes up. So, should we investigate the lower level first?

Xilehxt
2008-03-31, 04:07 PM
A'kma

There is a slight smile on A'kma but then it fades quickly as it came. San comes back and scurries into A'kma's sleeves. He stays silent as always, content with whatever the party decides.

Alicorn
2008-03-31, 08:39 PM
Nenna

"Let's go down first," says Nenna, taking the lead and descending the stairs.

mdsoze
2008-04-01, 08:53 AM
Styrr

Styrr follows close behind Nenna.

Apollyon
2008-04-03, 06:15 PM
Zinnanda

"Let's try the basement again. And this time, could you please not get attacked by a Grey Ooze, Lorellia?"

Zinnanda starts walking back down the stairs, following Styrr and Nenna.

mdsoze
2008-04-09, 10:23 AM
Styrr

Styrr looks back up the stairs.

Are the rest of you coming? We could use the help.

Xilehxt
2008-04-09, 09:49 PM
A'kma

A'kma is right there behind the rest of you, as he has always been. His expression is that of, God it takes forever to go down a flight of stairs.

Tortoise262
2008-04-09, 11:58 PM
Lorellia Lyrenth

Shanna suddenly flies into the room and lands on Lori's shoulder. The bird eyes A'kma's sleeve where she suspects his pet has hidden.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-04-10, 11:21 AM
Nenna opens the door to reveal-- a storeroom. The room appears roughly rectangular, perhaps 20' x 15', perhaps a bit larger. Shelves line the walls, some still holding sacks of something, and the center of the room is occupied with stacks of barrels and crates.

Alicorn
2008-04-10, 11:59 AM
Nenna starts looking inside sacks and crates, more to get an idea of what they contain than to actively search for the object of their journey.

Xilehxt
2008-04-30, 10:46 AM
A'kma

A'kma looks around casually, rummaging through the storeroom looking not too frantic for anything of interest.

Search [roll0]