PDA

View Full Version : Trifecta: The Iron Vault

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-19, 12:51 AM
Your group arrives in Hotha one day in the spring. After dropping your cargo off, and receiving your just compensation, you are met outside the market square by a well-dressed messenger bearing the emblem of the Golden Hand emblazoned on his vest. He bows politely and offers a scroll, waiting for it to be taken before departing. The scroll reads as follows:

"Good folk, my lord would seek to enlist adventurers such as yourselves to provide your services. If you've no pressing business, might I persuade you to seek out his company this evening? Dinner will be served, and a finer meal than your usual wont. I trust I shall see you at the Inn of the Red Lion, at precisely six this evening. You will find the discussion most fruitful." The letter is signed "Ker Meldronn, Seneschal to Lord Caro of Hotha"

Cybren
2007-12-19, 01:27 AM
Alphonse Webber

Alphonse, having realized how poorly his diet has faired, reacts with a not uncharacteristic glee as the term "dinner" is mentioned. "Indubitably, my good fellows, I would think we should all take this opportunity to get a free meal, don't you agree my companions?" The word has an odd sound to it, but from your time adventuring with Alphonse you'll recall he always gets this unusual when people of apparent wealth offer him free dinner. After his hunger fades, he looks rather impressed with himself. "Ha, we didn't even tip the fool!"

Deepblue706
2007-12-19, 02:08 AM
Baelham Gadsden

"...I'm sure he'll get a copper coin from his lord, for his efforts."

It was quite clear, through observing and communicating with Baelham, that he had no love for the Golden Hand. He was a warrior, no doubt past his prime, but still with enough tenacity to hold his own in battle. And in exchange for his youth was he given knowledge - whether what insights he possessed were based on factual knowledge was not to be certain, as he was always a quiet man - a man of secrets - personable as he sometimes was. One could only guess what thoughts ran through his mind, but he always seemed rather sensitive about discussing anything involving the Great War. It's fairly certain, from his age, his attitude and several small scars, that he was a veteran. Perhaps, it's not surprising that he disliked an organization known to profit from the bloodshed between the Dominion and the Empire.

Offering the messenger no bow or other gesture of courtesy, Baelham instead barely acknowledged the representative with a thinly veiled sneer. After learning of the letter's contents, he frowns, slightly. "Our usual wont? I wonder if this lord presumes us to be mere savages, who feast upon the uncooked entrails of beasts we happen to stumble upon in the wild." He throws a glance to Alphonse, and then looks back to the scroll. "Maybe, in his pomposity, he may decide to reward us with an arbitrary, but handsome sum for an easy task. Let's see what he has to offer."

MOD
2007-12-19, 02:16 AM
Vafra

Vafra stands next to her pony her long braided hair swaying gently in the wind. An alabaster mask, covered in white downy feathers around the edges and runes along the forehead, covers her face. Her clothes are unremarkable the usual browns and grays of traveling clothes.

Vafra stares at the messenger as he delivers his speech, head craned upward to gaze at him. "I grok the fullness of your message," Vafra says to the messenger after reading the scroll. With her usual ideology she hops onto her pony intending to head to the inn. After getting about ten feet from the rest of the group she looks back, "Coming?"

This is Vafra's usual look, provided by her Hat of Disguise. Although the mask changes. Rolling a disguise check just to be safe.
Disguise! (1d20+17=34)

Vafra says the word 'grok' often.
(http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1435319)

Diarmuid
2007-12-19, 03:30 AM
Branthyn

Branthyn looks much more the part of a warrior or knight than a faithful devoted of the Maker. The bluish, silvery full-plate he wears seems to burden him little more than a normal breastplate might do so for someone else. The craftsmanship on the armor is extraordinary, with gilt and runes embossed into various parts. A large symbol, the Maker's mark has been inlaid with gleaming silver in the middle of the chestpiece. A small diamond has been affixed to the right shoulder guard, it's edges encased in an iron shell shaped of a tortoise's shell. Through a loop on his hip hangs a morningstar of dark, almost black metal that almost appears stone-like. Those with an eye for metals will recognize the rare material as admantine. A white crystal protrudes from a silver end-cap that has been attached to the bottom of the weapon's pommel. Rounding out his accoutrements is a large shield made of a black wood adorned with a blue crystal sitting in the middle of a steel setting shaped like a pair of crossed arrows. His golden eyes and fine platinum hair mark him as on of the aasimar. His face is pretty and young, his frame tall and well proportioned. You know he stays in shape by exercising regularly every morning after his prayers and by offering his services to a smithy in every town the group stops in.

He thanks the courier heartily and bids him a fine day. Smiling at Baelham's usual dourness, he counters with another possibility...hoping to play to the man's humors,

"Or..perhaps he is planning on serving the meat from a rare beast that few have had the opportunity to sup on. It could even be some strange new breed of cat that he fattens up for slaughter by feeding them the milk from a suckling pig? And with the meats maybe he will have had his cooks prepare an odd assortment of vegetables from the far off elven lands."

Sliding up into his saddle, he moves to follow Vafra,

"Either way, who are we to refuse the hospitality he has offered when we have no other pressing business. We can hear him out at the least and see where things go from there while enjoying a nice meal cooked in a stove as opposed to old bread and tough dried meat cooked in a pot of water over a campfire. A bit of civilization will be a welcome change from out recent endeavor."

Loghren the Barbarian
2007-12-19, 11:39 AM
Sienna

Loghren chuckles. "If you don't like the food I cook, or how I cook it, Bran, you don't have to eat it." He smiles at the Aasimar, clearly not the least bit offended. After all, any cooking he does it generally a bit better than old bread and dried meat. And, occasionally, he has provided fresh meat, when time allows.

Loghren looks himself over. Dirty cloak, well-worn leathers, dented weapons, greasy hair, signs of the road buried within his beard. It was all just fine for him, but he knew it wouldn't be right for meeting with the Golden Hand.

"I suppose I should get myself all dolled up, looking like a purty lady to meet with these folk, huh? I suppose that's what they expect. Bah! He chuckles again. "In the meantime, what time is it now? I've never liked this numbers way of telling time. Sunrise, High Sun, Midday, Early Evening, Sundown. Those are times that matter. 6? What difference does 6 make?"

Rydax
2007-12-19, 12:38 PM
Zadryn

Zadryn smiled at Loghren's complaint. "In civilized places, six is the time that most businesses close for the day. Trouble is, every town has its own different idea of when any certain time comes around. I'm sure any guard in town will be able to give us the local time."

He sighed and his look became pensive as he scanned the town. Now that their immediate business had been concluded, he had the chance to actually take a look. A job offer was always encouraging, but Zadryn wasn't sure what he thought of the Golden Hand. By the speed with which the group was approached after arriving in town, the organization was obviously well-connected. That came as no surprise.

"We should at least hear what they have to say. But if we have time, I would like to find out as much as we can about them before dinner. If anyone has anything they would like to attend to, then I suggest we just all meet back at this Red Lion half an hour before dinner. Any objections?"

Diarmuid
2007-12-19, 01:26 PM
Branthyn

Smiling back at Loghren, the cleric feigns innocence.

"Loghren, clearly I was not referring to your culinary skills. But this man probably thinks of us as simple adventurers with simple means. He couldnt possibly know that we sup on roasted venison and the best rabbit stew this side of Medro. As for time, it is as Zadryn says...many places have begun investing in machines of usually gnomish and occasionally dwarven design that have the ablity to track the time without any reference to the sun or moon. Amazing contraptions, but for most their price keeps them from becoming common. I would imagine a man of apparent means as our host might possibly have something like it in his possession. The Golden Hand certainly have few wonts when it comes to money and comforts."

Running a guantletted hand through his fine locks, he grimaces as his fingers catch in a knot in his hair.

"I do not need to do anything special before our meeting than find a stable for Hrondl here, and perhaps a quick wash and a change of attire. I'm going to find a different inn and procure a room for the evening and I will meet you at the Red Lion before 6."

With that, he moves off and asks someone on the street for a reputable inn until he gets an answer that is not the Red Lion and does exactly what he said he would.

Approximately 30 minutes before the appointed meeting time, the cleric can be found standing outside the Red Lion Inn in much more relaxed travelling outfit, his armor, weapon, and shield having been left in his room.

Rydax
2007-12-19, 01:36 PM
Zadryn

"Very well, then. I'm going to find the city's archives and look through the legal records. I'd like to see if there have been many civil suits against the Golden Hand. It would be nice to know who we're dealing with. If anyone wants to come with me, you're welcome to. Otherwise, I'll see you at the Red Lion."

He waited a moment to see if anyone wanted to join him before going to ask for directions to the archive.

wxdruid
2007-12-19, 02:15 PM
Imani has little to say and when Zadryn speaks up, she speaks up as well, I will accompany you to the archives.

Loghren the Barbarian
2007-12-19, 03:49 PM
Loghren

Loghren looks askance at Bran.
"I really don't know why you don't just grab a room at the Red Lion. If things work out well, you can maybe get it for free."

Loghren proceeds to the Red Lion Inn. Upon arrival, he checks in and then asks any employee about where he might find some clothing that would be of nicer quality, but still have more of a "rustic" look.

I really couldn't think of the right word that Loghren would use for this. My thinking is along the lines of, say, Davy Crockett or Daniel Boone when they would go to Congress. Something of nicer quality, but something that also says, "I live my life outdoors, not in the city." Does that make sense?

Rydax
2007-12-19, 06:17 PM
Zadryn

Zadryn sighed in a bit of frustration. They had been searching the archives to no avail. The Governor had apparently blocked the Court's records from public access and all of his inquiries met with no results. He slumped himself into his seat at the table they'd been using.

He raised his eyes up at Imani. "Well it looks like this is a dead end. While we're here though, there is something I've wanted to ask you, if you don't mind." He pasued for a moment before asking, "You seem no less dedicated to your beliefs than I. What is it about Keldama's faith that draws you?"

wxdruid
2007-12-19, 06:34 PM
Imani looks at Zadryn across the table, "Life is hard, cruel and unrelenting. My Goddess makes it worth living."

Her eyes get a faraway look before she suddenly remembers where she is. "My Goddess made it possible for me to rise above what I was. I will worship Her and do Her will."

Rydax
2007-12-19, 07:32 PM
Zadryn

Zadryn sat his elbow on top of the table and rested his chin on his fist. His expression shows dissatisfaction with her answer. "You didn't answer my question, though. You only acknowledged it. I can tell that you certainly think her worship is worthwhile. What I'm asking is why you think so. Just out of curiosity."

wxdruid
2007-12-19, 07:35 PM
Irritation briefly flashes through Imani's eyes, "Why do you worship your Goddess?"

Deepblue706
2007-12-19, 09:42 PM
Baelham

Not commenting on anything happening, Baelham instead lets the party go about their business, presuming they'll simply meet up again in the evening with little trouble. He turns to Alphonse - as he is the only other one to not have run off. "Have you been to Hotha before? This place was built to be a fortress - not the easiest to navigate, for some. Frankly, I do not understand why some among us would prefer we all find our way seperately...but I suppose, the city isn't quite a maze, either." He takes a moment to view his surroundings, not really paying attention to if whether or not Alphonse actually replies. "Come, let's catch up with Loghren - we can get our rooms and have a place to lay down our extra baggage." He begins to follow Loghren's trail, his heavy armor clanking with each step.

Cybren
2007-12-19, 10:09 PM
Alphonsathon

The mage gazes at Baelham, knocking his staff into the ground, as if he were nodding. "You seem to know your way around." The question was probing, though only as an aside, as he began with a new topic, this time with a serious tone, "Have you heard anything of this 'Ker'?"

MOD
2007-12-19, 11:35 PM
Vafra

Vafra continues on to the Inn of the Red Lion, apparently unconcerned about her companions. After stabling her pony at the Red Lion she heads to any all places she can find that hold public postings made by Imperial higher ups.

Vafra takes a out a bloody stained note from her pocket the only legible piece of it the personal Imperial stamp of someone. She stares at the note hard for a few moments before carefully folding it back into her pocket. After memorizing the symbol again for what must be the thousandth time as she scans the various postings looking for its match.

She searches until 5:30 and then heads back to the Red Lion.

Deepblue706
2007-12-20, 01:20 AM
Baelham

Baelham gives a subtle nod to Alphonse. "At first glance, I wasn't sure if the letter was actually sent by him - but yes, I know his name. He's a high ranking official for the Golden Hand, and a sort of civil servant - right under the governer, actually. I don't know all of his specific duties, but he's in charge of domestic arrangements, and has authority over legal officers of the city, if I'm not mistaken." He gives his horse a tug to make sure it doesn't slow down, as they walk. "He's been here a while - came when Caro was installed here, I believe." He goes quiet a moment, as they make their way through the streets. "They say he walks with a limp, too. But, I wouldn't know anything about that."

Rydax
2007-12-20, 11:59 AM
Zadryn

Zadryn smiled at her question. "The power of the gods increases with the faith of their worshippers. I can think of no better cause than helping to bring Zithri's wisdom and light to the world. I find that I can make a difference. Afterall, there are far too many people who would bring evil instead. Arrogant fools who think they can exploit the power of the gods for their own ends. They must be countered, or there would be nothing left but their chaos and darkness. If we are going to be at war for so long, shouldn't we make sure that what we are fighting for is worth the struggle?"

wxdruid
2007-12-20, 01:30 PM
Imani half smiles..."You could say that, or you could say that things will happen according to who has the most power and who can keep it."

Rydax
2007-12-20, 01:48 PM
Zadryn

He nodded in agreement. "That's right. And I would prefer that that power be in the hands of those who are least likely to abuse it."

"It doesn't look like we're going to get what we're looking for here, though. What do you say we go meet the others over at the Red Lion?"

Cybren
2007-12-20, 01:53 PM
Alfonz

"I see...I suppose we won't really know what this is all about then..." Alphonse claps his hands together, his mouth agape before any sound comes out "For the better, I suppose. I would not want anything distracting me from the meal"

wxdruid
2007-12-20, 02:03 PM
Imani wisely smiles and nods, she has no desire to be drawn into that argument. Her personal feelings on that differ from his.

"I agree, let's go meet up with the group."

Rydax
2007-12-20, 02:56 PM
Zadryn

Zadryn got up from the table then. He smiled to himself as they headed over to the Red Lion. He never expected that they would agree on the subject, but at least it seemed that they could get along. There shouldn't be any problems. However, he decided that it would be best to avoid the particular discussion then, at least for a while. If she wasn't ready to give him a straight answer, he didn't want it to turn ugly.

When they arrived, Zadryn asked for a room for himself and then looked around for their other companions.

wxdruid
2007-12-20, 03:08 PM
Imani follows him back to the inn and likewise requests a room for herself.

Deepblue706
2007-12-20, 05:02 PM
Baelham

Baelham silently nods, as he continues making his way to the inn.

MOD
2007-12-20, 11:30 PM
Vafra

After spending a few fruitless hours searching Vafra makes her way back to the Red Lion.

After arriving at the Inn Vafra finds herself a comfortable chair to sit and wait for the rest of her companions to arrive. She sits reclined in her seat sipping from a flask pulled mysteriously from her cloak.

Diarmuid
2007-12-21, 10:45 PM
Branthyn

As his comrades arrive at the inn, he moves inside with them and sits at the bar while they go off to procure rooms, waiting for the proper time for their meeting. He orders a glass of wine and sits back to watch the goings on of the common room.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-21, 11:11 PM
(You're welcome to congregate in the common room and RP together, or I can move it ahead. At your discretion.)

Loghren the Barbarian
2007-12-22, 01:44 AM
Loghren

As the party each makes there way to the inn, they notice Loghren already sitting in the commons area with a plate of food and a mug of ale.

"Anyone who wants an ale, it's on me. But just one. I remember what happened last time." Loghren chuckles and continues to eat. He has cleaned himself up a bit, with some new but not necessarily nice clothes, and his weapons are at his side as always.

Unless that's not allowed at the inn, in which case all gear is stowed away in his room.

MOD
2007-12-22, 02:09 AM
Vafra

Vafra, having seated herself next to Loghren, shakes her head politely at his offer for ale. "Alas, Hotha has not revealed anything new in my search." Vafra says sadly sighing through her mask, to Loghren.

wxdruid
2007-12-22, 11:35 AM
Imani

Imani joins them at the table. "An ale is fine with me. Thank you." She also orders a plate of whatever is edible tonight and digs in, not really paying attention to the taste.

Deepblue706
2007-12-22, 12:21 PM
Baelham

After unsuiting his armor, Baelham rejoins the group in the common room - he appears at the entrance wearing a well-tailored, but fading green tunic with dark brown trousers - and in place of his sollerets, he wears a pair of old, but sturdy boots. His looks weren't exactly impressive, but he certainly didn't look like a beggar - his appearance would do.

Baelham accepts Loghren's generous offer, and then orders a small plate of food (of whatever sounds best) to silence his hunger. When the food arrives, he silently eats, not looking up from his plate until finished or personally addressed.

Rydax
2007-12-22, 08:30 PM
Zadryn

After getting a room for himself, Zadryn headed up to wash before the meeting. Afterward, he joined the others at their table. He had cleaned his clothes and apparently left his armor and weapons in his room, except for the dagger at his side.

"The offer is appreciated, Loghren," he said as he ordered an ale for himself. He did no get any food, however, preferring not to spoil his appetite for the feast their host had arranged.

"Our searched yielded no results, unfortunately. The Governor has the Golden Hand's records locked up tight. We'll just have to listen to what they have to say."

Deepblue706
2007-12-23, 08:43 PM
Baelham

Pausing from his snack for a moment, Baelham turns to Zadryn, a bit amused. "Are you really that surprised? Any organization that is successful in dealing in money the way they do is bound to have plenty of secrets - especially when they've accumulated the wealth they have." He shakes his head. "And so long as they're led by wise men, they'll do what they can to protect their secrets. Fortunately for them, silence is something easily bought..." He looks away, taking a sip from his ale. "...you just need to know your market."

Rydax
2007-12-26, 12:34 PM
Zadryn

Zadryn sighed as he gently shook his head. "Nah, not surprised. Just disappointed. Any time you take a job from an employer with secrets, you run the risk of getting yourself in over your head." He shrugged. "But then again, there is risk in everything, and no money equals a starving Zadryn. There is no reason not to hear them out. I just wish I had more information is all."

Deepblue706
2007-12-26, 03:18 PM
Baelham

Setting down his mug, Baelham glances back to Zadryn. "Indeed. You're wise to seek out the truth, but be careful with whom you inquire and with whom you divulge - overt action of either sort might only bring you more difficulties, as nobody wants to be interrogated, or suffer disrepute. And, when the subject at hand is such a golden one, you are only more likely to regret it." He returns to his ale. "Earn your gold and live your life - the fewer questions you ask, the less people will bother you." He smiles faintly for a moment, but then his face returns to its normal blank state. "Don't worry about whatever work they have in mind - if we don't find it suitable, we can always say 'no'."

Rydax
2007-12-26, 03:47 PM
Zadryn

He grinned and took a drink of his ale as he listened to Baelham. "Such a philosophy would work for some people, and possibly it would be much safer. However I don't really have that option. It would be irresponsible of me, in my position, not to ask all of the necessary questions."

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-26, 04:04 PM
Your idle chatter carries you to the appointed hour. There's a soft tapping footfall outside the doorway and a lavishly dressed man with an elegant bearing approaches across the common room, making elegant use of a cane. "Greetings to you," he says politely when he reaches your table. "I am Ker Meldronn. I would say it's a pleasure, but I expect that has yet to be determined. By your presence here, I gather you are interested in my proposition? At least enough to hear more?"

Deepblue706
2007-12-26, 04:35 PM
Baelham

Baelham offers a quick nod to Zadryn before rising from his seat to greet their would-be employer.

As he turns, Baelham's face lights up - his eyes are fixed and attentive, his smile wide and warm. He steps closer to the lord, with light, graceful steps. He halts a short distance, and bows. "Quite interested, seneschal Meldronn. We are very eager to hear what you would have us do."

I'd like to make a Diplomacy check - maybe I can get him to warm up to us? [roll0]

Edit: I guess because I previewed it, it didn't work? I'll try again in the OOC thread.

Loghren the Barbarian
2007-12-26, 05:37 PM
Loghren

Following Baelham's lead, Loghren rises from his seat and offers his hand in a hardy handshake to the strange man in the ridiculous clothing. For a moment, he appears put off by the man's odd statement. Clearly his way of speaking would not work in his clan. More than likely, such offense would lead him to be removed from the area and told never to darken their homes again! But Loghren quickly changes his facial expression to one a bit more welcoming, not wanting to ruin their chance of employment before they've even been told what it is.

wxdruid
2007-12-26, 06:34 PM
Imani

Imani rises respectfully and nods her head in greeting. "Yes, that would be correct." She offers one hand in greeting.

MOD
2007-12-26, 10:33 PM
Vafra

Vafra takes a quick hop from her seat and stands next to Loghren. She stares up at Ker Meldronn but says nothing. Her head twists slightly at his words, the androgynous mask covering her face twisting in kind. Her compatriots had already offered their words and her presence was her answer.

Diarmuid
2007-12-26, 11:24 PM
Branthyn

The priest rises at their hosts entrance. He had declined both drink and food for the time being, thinking that their host might well be offering them dinner and he did not want to seem impolite and not partake of the man's generosity.

"We are indeed interested enough to sit and listen to what you have to say."

Pointing to an empty chairs he queries,

"Would you care to join us here, or should we retire to a more secluded room for such discussions?"

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-27, 03:53 PM
Ker takes the hand of any who offer it. "Excellent," he says with a short smile. "If you would be so good as to follow me, I have a room set aside for our discussions." He gives Branthyn an approving nod.

He leads you down a short hall in the inn, through a door with a soldier of the Golden Hand stationed outside. The table is nearly groaning with the weight of food upon it-- fine delicacies all, including a roasted baby wyvern. Several high quality bottles of wine and a keg of fine ale are set at one end of the table. "Help yourselves," Ker says, as he seats himself at the head of the table. "We can talk more openly in here. What I wish to hire you to do, is to bring us-- Lord Caro and myself-- the contents of the main treasure vault of the Iron Helm."

Deepblue706
2007-12-27, 04:35 PM
Baelham

Acting far more formally than usual, Baelham follows the seneschal with a courtier's grace, composed and well-mannered. He only sits once their host is no longer standing, and then proceeds to pull over a glass, and pour himself some wine. Upon the Iron Helm being mentioned, he halts, and sets down the bottle.

"Treasure vault?" His brow arches slightly. "I heard those were all seized once the Dominion fell. You are saying there's a main vault out there, still untouched?" He then takes a sip of his wine, awaiting an answer.

Cybren
2007-12-27, 05:16 PM
The Phonse

Alphonse looks up from his plate for a moment, "Opening a big safe hardly seems worth our time... I assume that it is in some abandoned castle on top of a hill seething with undead. The Vault itself being trapped and probably empty, for we will find out our treasure is in another castle...", he rollls his eyes, as if he were silently agreeing with himself. "How much will we be payed for this?". Alphonse returns to his meal, stuffing a handful of biscuits into his backpack.

wxdruid
2007-12-27, 07:14 PM
Imani

Imani follows, when she hears the task, she raises one eyebrow, but never one to refuse food, she fills a plate and sits down to eat.

She's rather cynical about the so called treasure, but a small part of her is curious.

"You can't retrieve this treasure yourselves? Just where is this supposed Vault and why do you think the treasure belongs to you?

MOD
2007-12-27, 09:57 PM
Vafra

Vafra sits directly opposite of Ker and stares at him. Vafra chooses items for her plate that Ker chooses for himself; though she doesn't touch the food or drink the wine. Sitting quietly Vafra listens to the conversation with interest.

Vafra was one of those people who liked to grok what she heard in fullness before venturing a question of her own.

Loghren the Barbarian
2007-12-27, 11:09 PM
Loghren

Loghren follows into the large room. He fills his mug with the ale, but hesitates before eating any food. Not waiting for the others to have their questions answered, he cuts straight to the point.
"Just so we're perfectly clear on all of this, let me restate it. You want us to go in and clean out the main vault. The whole thing. All of it. And bring it to you. Any other vault - anything in there belongs to us. And you'll pay us some amount. I only assume that you are paying us more than "whatever is in the other vaults" which, really, is no payment at all. Of course, if we decide to simply keep what's in the main vault for ourselves, well, that means you'll send your goons after us until either we change our mind or you decide to have us killed. Whichever you decide, really. Is that what your offer is?"

He stares directly at the man, right into his eyes. His look is not one of anger, but simply is matter of fact.

Diarmuid
2007-12-28, 12:49 PM
Branthyn

Branthyn had hoped they would begin with some pleasantries over the exotic fare at the table and had taken a sampling of most things onto his plate before decanting some wine into his glass. As his companions begin rapidly firing blunt questions at their host, the cleric pauses mid pour and sighs heavily. Finishing his glass, he raises it in a silent toast to their host and apologetically smiles to the man while shrugging his shoulders.

He was confident some sort of accord would be made here, Branthyn decided he would wait and see how their host responded and tolerated some of the more eccentric of the group. After, he would decide which of his questions still seemed appropriate.

[roll0]

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-28, 01:19 PM
Ker seems unruffled by the barrage of questions. "Their main vault is, indeed, still untouched. It was in the basement levels of their keep in Vannir-- the exact location will be a bit more difficult to determine given the ruined state of the keep. But I can provide layouts of the keep prior to its fall, once you're ready to make the attempt. As the Iron Helm is no more, the treasure belongs to those with the means to seize it. You are, in part, those means for Lord Caro. Your blunt friend has the general idea more or less correct, although he's off on the details. The reason we can't simply go and uncover the vault is that the keys are scattered. We've located the whereabouts of a bearer of one of those keys, however, and that should be enough to get you started. You'll be required to retrieve all the necessary keys and then use them to open the vault. And bring us everything. Every last scrap of paper or cloth, and every last copper coin. Any other spoils you discover along the way are, of course, yours. In addition, you'll be paid one hundred twenty thousand gold pieces each for your efforts, upon completion of the task. I trust that will suffice?"

Branthyn: He seems about as open and forthright as any banker would be.

Deepblue706
2007-12-28, 03:28 PM
Baelham

A few glances to each other member of the party, as they spoke, showed Baelham wasn't pleased with the numerous questions that bombarded Caro's man - he plainly expected everyone to speak in-turn. But, he remained silent, not wanting to speak again until he allowed the seneschal the opportunity to talk.

At the mention of the reward, Baelham sets down his wine glass, and takes a moment to comprehend the promised amount. "One-hundred twenty-thousand?" He rests a hand on the table, his surprised look showing he had expected significantly less pay. He takes a moment to collect his thoughts, and then speaks. "You want us to use the keys to open the vault once we are done collecting them..." He hesitates a moment. "...and carry whatever we find to your doorstep? We can only offer so much protection to what lies within - exhuming any significant treasures from this vault, I would presume, would take more than our small lot. Would you provide your own trusted men to extract the findings along with us? Or, shall we be forced to hire vagrants off the streets to bring it in, and risk thievery?"

Rydax
2007-12-28, 07:37 PM
Zadryn

Zadryn gave their host a gracious bow of his head, and filled his plate as he listened to the conversation. He agreed with the many good points that were brought up, but not necessarily with their delivery. He couldn't help but grin when Loghren spoke. His respect for the man was growing all the time. He had said precisely what was going through Zadryn's mind, except that he had decided to be pretty blunt about it. Amused, he continued to listen to what the others had to say. There would be time for questions after his companions finished. But for the moment, he couldn't imagine anything but good coming out of a raid on the iron helm. The amused smile stayed on his face even as he ate.

MOD
2007-12-30, 12:56 AM
Vafra

Vafra continues staring at Ker. She couldn't quite tell what this strange man had up his sleeve but they weren't being told the whole picture.

"I have two question for you sir," Vafra speaks slowly articulating every word, "This task you set before us must be of the utmost importance for you. Obviously for 120,000 gold each. Such a task must be fraught with danger or highly illegal, and likely both for a sum of that magnitude. What are the dangers and associated risks involved with this venture and what is inside the vault? Add as much detail as you can manage."

Vafra pauses and seems to have stopped speaking. "Oh and why do you think we," Vafra looks to each person at the table, "are best suited for this venture? Your courteous invitation was rather unexpected upon our arrival. I had not realized our reputation preceded us so well.” There is another long pause between Vafra’s words. Such that it seems that she is purposefully finishing her thoughts when the next person would like to speak.

“I would enjoy groking on your responses."

Sense Motive! On Ker! (1d20=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1447883/)

Vafra usually speaks in that irritatingly slow and often rude manner. She is not one to mince words.

Deepblue706
2007-12-30, 03:15 PM
Baelham

At a loss for words, Baelham stares blankly at Vafra, and then offers a sympathetic glance to the seneschal. He opens his mouth to speak, but a troubled sigh is all that escapes - he clearly does not approve of the halfling's demeanor.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2007-12-31, 01:58 PM
"We can provide you carrying vessels at the appropriate time," Ker replies to Baelham's question. To the halfling, he replies in an even tone. "We don't know what's in the vault. That information has proven difficult to come by. As you may gather, we expect that whatever it contains is quite valuable. There is nothing illegal about our request, although if you choose to employ such means in your accomplishment of it, that is your own affair. We won't intervene if you do and pay the consequences for such actions. And yes, I expect the mission will be quite dangerous, however you have a reputation for surviving difficult spots, and more than one of you has no reason to love the Iron Helm. I cannot speak to the specifics of all the dangers you will encounter, although the individual we located is hiding out among a kobold religious cult. I expect they won't take kindly to strangers."

Deepblue706
2007-12-31, 03:56 PM
Baelham

Baelham nods in acceptance of the proposal, and then silently contemplates any possible difficulties they might have along their way. "Who is this individual?" He asks, after some hesitation. "And, why are they hiding out with kobolds?"

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-02, 08:07 PM
Ker smiles. "That information will only be revealed if you agree to the terms of employment," He reaches into his jacket and removes a sheaf of parchments. "I happen to have the necessary contracts with me, if you all are agreed." He places the papers on the table for each of you to examine. They appear to be a standard mercenary contract-- the terms of which are, while hidden in legalese, fairly straightforward, agreeing to provide services in exchange for payment.

Loghren the Barbarian
2008-01-02, 08:43 PM
Loghren

"So, just to clarify . . . what is the result if we do not stick with the contract? Not saying we won't. Just, you know, I want to know what we have to contend with. After all, I'm sure you know that, when hiring mercenaries, there's always the risk that someone else will pay more. Again - not saying we would. Just want to know the options."

MOD
2008-01-02, 09:02 PM
Vafra

Vafra delicatly grabs one of the contracts and reads through the terms and conditions. She reads and reads the contract trying to grok it in everyway possible.

She sets it down after a few minutes of study, waiting for Loghren's answer to come before making a decision.

wxdruid
2008-01-02, 09:19 PM
Imani

Imani takes one and listens for the moment, when she gets a moment, she reads the contract very carefully.

Sense Motive (1d20 8=25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1450150/)

decipher contract (1d20 3=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1450151/)

Deepblue706
2008-01-02, 10:34 PM
Baelham

After Loghren speaks - or as Baelham would see it, stumble for words - he interjects. "What my companion means to ask is - if misfortune should find us, and keep us from finishing the job, would there be any possibility of voiding the contract without leaving us in some sort of debt of service? I would imagine so, as you mentioned the pay comes after a completed task." He ends with a smile.

Diarmuid
2008-01-02, 10:49 PM
Branthyn

The cleric continues to cringe as he watches his companions continue to stumble around this conversation. This job seems like one that could have a lot of different people looking into it. It seems like the best opportunity he's had in a long time to maybe find what he has been seeking.

Taking up one of the contracts, he looks it over and nods to himself. He waits for the man's answer again, but begins taking a quill and small bottle of ink from his pack.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-04, 08:18 PM
"Of course. You can break the contract if you wish, with no ill fortune aside from a tarnished reputation and a lack of payment."

Imani: As far as you can tell, Ker is being honest, and there are no hidden clauses in the contract.

Deepblue706
2008-01-05, 12:18 PM
Baelham

Nodding, Baelham uses Ker's words. "Of course." He pauses a moment, and then gives another quick read over the parchment.

"Very well. I find the contract agreeable."

wxdruid
2008-01-05, 01:10 PM
Imani

Imani shrugs, finds a writing utensil from somewhere and signs her name. She hands the contract back to Ker.

Loghren the Barbarian
2008-01-05, 05:35 PM
Loghren

Having heard the response he wanted, although it may not be truthful, Loghren placed his mark on the contract. He wasn't crazy about signing anything. It wasn't the way he did things. But, well, it was a lot of money. He could do a lot with that.

MOD
2008-01-05, 08:35 PM
Vafra

Vafra shrugs her shoulders and signs her name as well to a contract. She wasn't quite sure how they would fare but she was willing to try. Though she still didn't trust Ker as far as she could throw him.

Cybren
2008-01-06, 03:38 AM
Alphonse

Taking a stack of the unsigned contracts, Alphonse begins scrawling his name. He takes a new one, and holds a quill to it. "Excellent, excellent. Don't worry Imani, I'll get it. How is that spelled?" He holds the quill to the contract in thought, ink slowly blotting where the name should be signed.

wxdruid
2008-01-06, 07:46 AM
Imani

Imani looks at Alphonse with irritation, If you sign for me, then it isn't my name on it. Don't ever forge my name on anything.

Diarmuid
2008-01-06, 02:52 PM
Branthyn

Finally smiling seeing that their host did not appear to have been too insulted, the cleric dips his inkpen but hesitates before he puts pen to paper.

"You mentioned a payment at the successful completion of the arrangement, but depending on the circumstances there may be some expenses incurred along the way. I feel some form of "good faith" gesture on your part would not necessarily be out of the question."

He tilts his head inquisitively as he maintains his smile directed at the man.

Rydax
2008-01-06, 03:45 PM
Zadryn

Zadryn took one of the contracts, and a pen, and signed his name as well. Satisfied with the description of the job, he went back to his plate of food.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-08, 11:52 AM
"We'll supply you with provisions for the first stage of the journey. Will that be 'good faith' enough?" Ker asks.

Diarmuid
2008-01-08, 12:14 PM
Branthyn

Nodding satsifactorily, the cleric voices his agreement,

"Indeed I do. I believe we have an accord."

With that, he puts pen to paper and makes his mark.

"Now, I'm sure we would be very interested to find out about this person hiding out with religious kobolds. Please, spare no detail."

MOD
2008-01-08, 10:27 PM
Vafra

Vafra nods in agreement the mask on her head bobbing in time. More information would be appropriate.

Deepblue706
2008-01-08, 10:55 PM
Baelham

Baelham feasts on a large portion of food when he is not speaking - but he is not seen reaching for the wyrmling over the course of their time there. He does not meditate upon choosing other things to put on his plate, however - and by now, he's eaten enough a meal for two. Considering what food he ordered prior to the meeting as well, it would appear that Baelham has a rather large appetite - perhaps a surprise, when he rations his travelling supplies so well.

Noticing that the group was agreed upon the terms of employment, Baelham pauses from his meal, and reclines into his seat, wineglass in hand. He anticipates what more can be learned about the task eagrly, but remains as quiet - and as stiff - a rock.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-09, 12:02 PM
"His name is Vintz Corthon and he was a spy and sneakthief for the Helm. How he ended up with one of the keys, we're not certain, as he wasn't considered high ranking enough to warrant one. Likely he lifted it from someone else. Likely he found the kobold retreats a place that the Empire wouldn't go looking for him. There is a price on his head, after all. He's likely running some sort of scam up there as well, although I don't have any information on what it might be." He pulls out a map of the mountain range north of Hotha with three locations marked. "We believe he's at one of these sites, ranked by order of probability. Oh, and he was reasonably good friends with a young dragon that worked with the Helm-- Icewind. I expect them to be together, since he's gone missing as well."

wxdruid
2008-01-09, 12:18 PM
Imani

Imani looks up...Dragon? ...just how old is this dragon and what color?

Deepblue706
2008-01-09, 09:37 PM
Baelham

With the mention of a dragon, Baelham freezes completely. His eyes show great concern, as they intently stare into oblivion, as he ponders what tales he had heard of the great beasts.

As he travelled into the memories of his past, he searched for the names Ker provided - perhaps he had heard of the wanted-man and his "friend", before.

Knowledge: Tiren (Vintz Corthon) [21], Knowledge: Tiren (Icewind) [19] (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1457657/)

MOD
2008-01-10, 12:54 PM
Vafra

Vafra stares hard at the mention of a dragon. But those questions with which she had been interested in had been asked on that subject. "Sir, how many keys, in total, must we find?"

Diarmuid
2008-01-10, 03:54 PM
Branthyn

Like most, a look of surprise and alarm crosses the cleric's face at the flippant mention of a dragon accompanying this man.

"The younger the better, I would say. I suppose that probably explains why the kobolds have suffered this man to hide amongst them. What sorts of skills did this man possess before he left the Helm?"

He racks his memory, trying to recall everything he might have learned about dragons.

[roll0]

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-10, 07:14 PM
"We don't know precisely how many keys there are. At least six, perhaps more. As to the dragon, you could probably guess by his name that he's a white. And perhaps fifty years or so. We don't have specifics. Vintz is a sneak, a con artist, a pick pocket and a petty thief. He's also a bit of lush, I'm given to understand."

Branthyn: Your roll is good enough to know pretty much everything about white dragons that's in the standard MM entry about them.

Baelham: You've never heard of Icewind, but you've heard a little about Vintz-- you can confirm everything that Ker has said. You've also heard that he's rather cowardly.

Diarmuid
2008-01-10, 10:43 PM
Branthyn

A look of concern is passed from the cleric to the others.

"Around fifty eh, that would leave a juvenile to young adult dragon on our hands. Either would be a formidable opponent, but a young adult would be just beginning to develop some of the more dangerous of draconic traits: resistance to magic, an aura of fear, scales able to turn away most mundane weapons, and the well known devastating breath weapon. Hopefully it will not have begun mastering the arts yet, or we will be in sever trouble. As a white, it will be immune to cold and vulnerable to fire. Near peerless flyers, most dragons can also burrow through the ground, albeit much slower. It likely goes without saying, but if we can get the key and the information from this Vintz without actually encountering the dragon...we will likely be much better off."

Sighing a bit as the weight of the task settles fully onto him, a determined set comes to his jaw and he endeavors to move things along,

"We have agreed to this task, and you have agreed to equip us on this first leg of our journey."

He goes on to list the things they will likely need for the journey.

Food
Water
Mounts (for those without)
Pack animal
Cold Weather equipment
Various supplied (torches, rope, yadda yadda)

Deepblue706
2008-01-10, 11:32 PM
Baelham

Baelham gives Branthyn a nod. "Yes, avoiding the dragon altogether sounds like the best plan - but, for some reason, I doubt this Vintz is one to wander far from his "companion". A wanted-man under the protection of a dragon is likely not as desired - and I'm sure he knows that's likely among his best options."

He pauses.

"If I had more time for research - or better yet, the gold to buy another wizard's time - I could more-well prepare us all for both the environment and the dreaded beast. But maybe..." He silently considers his options. "...maybe, Alphonse and I can formulate a way to render it less of a threat, regardless."

He looks up, turning directly to Ker. "So - we'll find Vintz, get whatever we can out of him, and then what? Should we follow any clues we find, or report back to you, here, immediately?"

Cybren
2008-01-11, 12:43 AM
Alphonse

"ANOTHER wizard?! I do hope by that you meant you would finally stop with this swording nonsense so you may finally count yourself as such. I think I could hardly tolerate any others reading my spell book." Alphonse ponders for a moment, bringing his fingers to his lips in thought. "Well, anyway, how is one "reasonably good friends" with a dragon? Is that to say they attended the theater together and the occasional game of chess, or perhaps, the dragon finds him more amusing as a pet then food?"

Deepblue706
2008-01-11, 03:17 AM
Baelham

With a smile, Baelham speculates on the relatioship between Vintz and Icewind. "It may see him as a pet - but perhaps, if he's a clever man, the creature might value him for that as well. For its kind, the Icewind is still young - and likely isn't too bright. They trade one-other for brains and brawn - perhaps, in that exchange, friendship can be born." He takes a breath - still partly amused, but likely a touch frustrated, as well. "And no, I will not stop what you refer to as "nonsense" - practicing swordplay along with my studies of the arcane allows me more options in combat. I might not be as masterful of either art as any dedicated soldier or scholar, but my ability to fight is limited only by my own wits. It matters little how strong or swift my foe, or how easily they succumb to incantations - I have learned to find a way, regardless of the situation." He sighs, taking a moment to pause from the semi-faux argument. "And no, I meant I need to find another wizard. Last I checked, you hadn't ever studied protection spells, you ingenious fool."

Diarmuid
2008-01-11, 04:25 PM
Branthyn

The cleric rolls his eyes at the usual bickering between the two. Holding up his hand asking for a break in their never-ending argument, he answers for Ker.

"We get his key through whatever means possible. Hopefully in doing so we will find some clues as to where the other keys are, and once we have them all we will have everything we need to find and open this ancient vault."

Returning to the subject of why they would partner,

"Both probably sought the added protection and strength gained from not working alone after the fall of the Helm. If he is conniving and intelligent, he may have been able to trick or persuade the young dragon to help him. Or the Helm may have had some kind of magical leverage on the dragon that he was able to use against it. I am sure that the Maker will see us through these ventures. No special arrangements should be too necessary other than those I already outlined."

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-13, 12:35 PM
"We would, of course, appreciate updates on your progress, but if the trail leads away from Hotha, there's no need to report back immediately. You can leave a message with any office of the Hand, and they'll see it gets to me." Ker appears to find any speculations about the nature of the friendship of the dragon and the wanted man unimportant as he neglects to comment on it. "Your rooms shall be seen to tonight, of course, and you'll find the supplies you requested waiting for you come morning. Unless you feel we have further business to discuss, I shall leave you to the repast." He looks at each of you for a moment to see if there are any final questions.

wxdruid
2008-01-13, 01:55 PM
Nothing from Imani. She sits and eats the food she selected earlier. She's signed the contract, all else will be revealed as fate wills.

Deepblue706
2008-01-14, 12:04 AM
Baelham

Satisfied with Ker's answer, Baelham acknowledges him with a nod. "I believe it is settled, seneschal. We will make our best effort to fulfill the task." He anticipates to rise as Ker does, as he expects there to be no business left, but to offer the expected courtesy upon his departure.

MOD
2008-01-14, 02:06 AM
Vafra

Vafra listens to the bickering and the deal making, her sight never leaving Ker. With negotiations concluded she stands from her seated position and gives a nod to the group. "Lohgren, which room are you in?"

Diarmuid
2008-01-14, 11:43 AM
Branthyn

With a respectful nod and raise of his glass to their host, the cleric takes a drink from his glass and pushes his chair back. Standing he, offers a thanks to their host,

"Thank you sir. We will do our best, and will keep you informed one way or another. I would like to get an early start tomorrow, so let's know make too late an evening tonight, eh friends?"

With a warm smile to his companions he goes to the innkeeper to arrange for a room for the evening. Once that is done, he goes to the other inn where he made arrangements, pays for the room and gathers his things to be brought back to the inn where everyone else is staying.

Spell List will be updated for travelling. About how long will it take to get to the first location on the map?

Loghren the Barbarian
2008-01-14, 12:41 PM
Loghren

With a nod to his new employer, Loghren reaches over to the food and digs in. He seems to become a bit preoccupied with eating what will likely be his last good meal for a while. He pauses a bit when Vafra asks him about his room. Speaking with his mouth full, "I think it's the one second from the end. Or something like that. You?" He grabs at another bit of food, and seems to have totally forgotten any sort of manners.

MOD
2008-01-14, 10:14 PM
Vafra

"I am going to get one right now I'll let you know." With that Vafra abruptly leaves, her plate of food untouched.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-16, 11:56 AM
Ker departs, leaving you with the feast, and an opportunity to plan out your options.

(It will take a week's riding to make it to the first of the three sites listed.)

Deepblue706
2008-01-16, 04:58 PM
[[OOC: My spell list has been updated as well]]

Baelham

With Ker's departure, Baelham returns to his seat, pours himself some more wine, and then gives a weary glance to each of those who remain in the room. "There's a lot we should discuss, before we run off to our rooms for the evening." He takes a sip from his glass, pausing only for a second to savor it. "Such as, if anyone has experience in the terrain we're about to venture into." He then leans forward, placing the glass back upon the table, and gazes upon Loghren critically. "You've always struck me as a man who knows the wild - do you feel confident going with just this map, or should we hire a guide?"

Cybren
2008-01-20, 01:16 AM
Alphonse

Alphonse continues to go to town on the remaining food. Little bits of meat fall from his mouth as he talks. "We hafv a map. Whtf wouldb be teh poit of gettimg a guide?"

He swallows and washes it down with a drink, before continuing. "Hiring a guide could slow us down, and costs money"

Deepblue706
2008-01-20, 01:56 AM
Baelham

Turning a curious eye to Alphonse, Baelham answers wearily. "Someone who is more familiar with the area could prove useful - maybe there are more efficient routes than others, that may not be readily obvious." He makes a weak shrug. "Maybe if we simply keep our bearings, the map will suffice. However, I don't want to be wandering in the wild any longer than necessary." He glances about at the rest of the group, his eyes finally returning to Alphonse before he continues. "Truly, I think a handful of coins from our collective purse to pay for a sure bet is well worth it. It may take time to find the right man - but then, will it not take us more if we take the wrong path?"

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-20, 02:01 AM
(For clarity's sake-- the locations are marked on the map, but there are no roads marked once you get into the high mountains.)

Loghren the Barbarian
2008-01-20, 02:57 PM
Loghren

"I say we hire a guide. The map will get us part of the way there, but I'd rather have as direct a route as we can get. I know my way around the wilderness pretty well, but when you want to get to a specific place, you hire the specialist. I see no reason to go it alone and risk wasting a significant amount of time."

wxdruid
2008-01-20, 10:35 PM
Imani

Imani nods at the mention of hiring a guide. That should save us some time. She doesn't have much else to add.

Diarmuid
2008-01-21, 01:04 PM
Branthyn

Branthyn has already retired from the meeting and so has nothing to add to the conversation happening at this time.

just a little, "im still here"

Deepblue706
2008-01-21, 02:49 PM
Baelham

Seeming pleased, despite what he saw as the premature dispersing of some members of the group. Baelham continues with what he sees as necessary discussion. "Now, how much gold do we have between us? I don't want to meet with a prospective guide, and then when he demands his fee, we turn our backs saying "hold on a moment while we count what we have"." He smiles. "Additionally, if we have a good amount of spare coin, I suggest we spend it on special equipment that our new employer isn't readily supplying - alchemical potions, and the like." He glances about the room to those who remain, awaiting an answer.

MOD
2008-01-22, 09:30 PM
Vafra

Vafra still around doing her thing. Posting I'm still here.

Wherever it is that Vafra happens to be at the moment she takes her time making herself comfortable.

Loghren the Barbarian
2008-01-22, 10:13 PM
Loghren

"I'm sure we have more than enough money. I'm going to go speak with the bartender about where to go about hiring someone to guide us through these mountains. Anyone who wishes to join me can."

With that, Loghren wipes his hands on the most convenient cloth (his own pants, if necessary), grabs his gear, and heads toward the bartender, or tavern owner, or anyone else who may know about hiring such a guide.

Untrained Gather Information roll to find a guide through the mountains. (1d20 1=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1469993/)

I don't know why it doesn't say "1d20+1". But, no matter. Either way, I don't think I succeeded - unless a roll wasn't needed.

Deepblue706
2008-01-22, 11:03 PM
Baelham

With a shrug, Baelham accepts Loghren's answer. "Very well. If none believe we've anything else to discuss, then I suppose we're set." He yawns. "Tell me how things fare, Loghren. I'll be in my room." He stands. "Excuse me." He says, making his way to the exit.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-23, 07:27 PM
Loghren has little luck in finding a guide, although the innkeeper does suggest that he would have better luck in one of the small towns in the lower mountains.

(apologies for the delay. Work kicked my tail the last couple days. Anything you wish to do tonight or shall I skip to morning?)

Loghren the Barbarian
2008-01-23, 07:31 PM
Loghren

Returning to anyone left in the meeting room, Loghren states his (lack of) progress and that they may have better luck getting a guide closer to the mountains. He grabs one last bite of food and heads off to his room for the night.

wxdruid
2008-01-23, 08:13 PM
With that bit of information, Imani heads off to bed.

MOD
2008-01-27, 02:17 PM
Vafra

As soon as Loghren arrives at his room he finds the door to be unlocked. Upon entering he notices that a certain halfling is lounging on his bed.

"That seemed to take quite sometime, Loghren, I have been waiting..." Vafra says with mock impatients.

Loghren the Barbarian
2008-01-27, 04:16 PM
Loghren

Loghren pauses for a minute, enters the room, and shuts the door.
"For the amount of time I spend trying to convince everyone that you're really not that creepy . . . you sure don't make my job any easier."

He pauses, then looks around the room for a chair or good spot on the floor on which to sit.

"So, what are you doing in my room this time?"

MOD
2008-01-27, 08:17 PM
Vafra

"Oh, just settling in for the night as usual. I thought you would be right behind me did I miss something?"

Loghren the Barbarian
2008-01-27, 11:26 PM
Loghren

"Nah, you didn't miss much. Just that we can find a guide when we get closer to the mountains. Also, you missed the part where I didn't invite you to sleep on my bed. If you feel a need to sleep in my room, that's fine. But the bed is for me and me alone."
Loghren rises from wherever he was seated, looking to Vafra as if he expects her to get up off the bed.

MOD
2008-01-28, 02:51 AM
Vafra

Vafra gives a little sigh and a wink to Loghren, "You always say that Loghren." Vafra hops off the bed and says a word into her cloak and it transforms into a small halfling sized tent that appears next to Loghren's bed. "I am worried though that this Ker isn't being entirely truthful with us but time will tell on that account."

With that Vafra hops into her tent, inside Loghren's room, for the night.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-29, 12:52 PM
Morning comes, and the inn staff brings breakfast to your rooms-- a hearty meal of eggs, sausage, glazed ham, and griddle cakes. As you collect your things and head outside, one of the stable hands indicates a pair of pack mules as having been dropped off by the Hand for your party. Inventory of the supplies reveals the following:

Cold weather gear for each of you.
14 Winter blankets
7 climbing kits
500 ft of silk rope
7 ice picks
14 full water skins
7 full wine skins
30 flasks of alchemist's fire
Food and fodder for a month.
24 sunrods
a box of 100 tindertwigs
20 Cure Light Wounds Potions
2 large tents
10 vials of antitoxin
5 grappling hooks

wxdruid
2008-01-29, 01:17 PM
Imani is up early and eats every bite of her breakfast, it's probably the last really good food she'll eat for a long time. Trail food has never been known for it's taste.

Once done, she packs up her stuff and heads downstairs. She gets her pony from the stable and gets him ready. She starts inventorying what the pack mules have and is keeping track of it all.

Deepblue706
2008-01-29, 02:42 PM
With only half of his armor donned, Baelham enters the scene at a slightly rushed pace. The fast rhythm of clanking with his every step spoke his feelings about getting to work quickly and efficiently, a ideal that would have been easily traced in his steps since he had joined the party. He made time to relax and be easygoing - but he had distinctly different attitudes about work and play.

He makes no effort to correctly apply his pauldrons and other parts to his metal suit alone, simply carrying various assorted pieces inside a large sack slung over his shoulder. He cradles his visored helm under a ring-sleeved arm, which carries inside additional parts to his armor - including a few larger pieces balanced on-top.

Assessing the various supplies left for their journey, Baelham would appear fairly pleased. "Good, good - they've left us adequate supplies." He says as he scans the animals for expected equipment (however, a close observer might notice his eyes show a bit of surprise when he spots the large quantity of alchemist's fire). He soon turns away, setting down the various pieces of plate and mail that make of the remainder of his armor, and glances around. "Zadryn - a hand, if you would. Full armor takes more than a single man to apply properly."

Loghren the Barbarian
2008-01-29, 09:45 PM
Loghren

After finishing off his breakfast, Loghren makes his way out into the commons area. He is fully equipped, wearing his armor, two large axes within arm's reach, and a pair of hammers not far behind. He wears his large, bearskin cloak but seems as if he's a bit warm in it. His long hair is tied back and his beard neatly groomed - the last time it'll look like that for quite a while.

He looks over the equipment provided, nodding his head in approval every so often. "Well, this should about do it. Course, once we get out there a couple of days, we'll realize that there was something else we should have picked up along the way . . ."

MOD
2008-01-30, 11:55 AM
Vafra

Vafra emerges from her tent in Loghren's room quickly at his exit. She groggily speaks a word at the tent and it transforms back into her cloak. Ignoring the food brought by the inn staff she quickly heads down stairs to the waiting supplies.

Straight to buisiness Vafra immediatly begins examining everything on the mules. After inventorying everything on a piece of parchement she hops down from her vantage point on the mules.

"We should sell everything we don't need here and use whatever excess money there is to buy mounts for those of you that do not have any."

wxdruid
2008-01-30, 01:09 PM
Imani

Imani looks at the halfling with irritation and replies, No, we are not selling any of it. They provided each and every thing in there for a reason, and that includes the mules. You can keep your sticky fingers off of the supplies.

MOD
2008-01-30, 10:23 PM
Vafra

Vafra looks at Imani with a mild disdain through her angelic mask, "I'm not stopping anyone from taking everything they could need Imani. It will make for faster travel and if necessary faster escape if we get mounts for Loghren, Zadryn, and Alphonse." Vafra sighs at Imani's insolent implication.

(For wxdruid, bleh anyone can read it.)
Hey, wxdruid you have everything needed for a mount listed on your character sheet but not a mount. So I will update my post if you don't have one.

Deepblue706
2008-01-30, 11:44 PM
Baelham

"A valid concern, Vafra." Baelham calls out, halting his concentration on fastening his suit for a moment. "I wouldn't mind parting with a few vials of the alchemist's fire, or even a potion or two, if it meant we were all mounted - We don't want anyone to be a liability."

He shrugs. "But, I don't think horse stables accept vials of odd liquids as currency. I hope you're aware we'll have to spend some time tracking down a merchant who is interested and willing to pay for some of these...higher-end goods. And even then, unless any of you have the patience to haggle with a salesman, we'd likely get less money than they're truly worth. Horses are expensive, too. If this is the plan, we should make the effort to get the most of whatever deals we can get." He turns away, and continues donning his suit. "Whatever you do, don't sell the wine." He continues to grumble something about 'having to drink when you work with hooligans'.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-01-31, 12:02 AM
"Lord Caro left mounts for you as well," the stablehand offers.

Deepblue706
2008-01-31, 12:43 AM
Baelham

"Ha!" Baelham seems to be in good spirits. "Seems like we got ahead of ourselves, eh?"

wxdruid
2008-01-31, 01:08 AM
Imani

Imani shrugs and walks over to her warpony, picking up the reins. She stands quietly waiting for the rest of the party to make it down. It seems no one will be selling off extra supplies, which to her mind, is all the better.

MOD
2008-02-04, 04:55 PM
Vafra

Vafra too grabs her war pony. She stands next to Imani and stares at her. Tapping her foot in impatience as she waits for the rest of the layabouts to arise from slumber and join them.

wxdruid
2008-02-04, 05:10 PM
Imani

She's unperturbed by Vafra staring at her. She thinks about the mission ahead and thinks about what they might find.

Loghren the Barbarian
2008-02-04, 07:27 PM
Loghren

After pausing for a moment, looking at the horse, trying to decide whether to ride or walk, Loghren pulls himself up into the saddle. He takes a couple of minutes to adjust where he keeps his various weapons so they won't bump into him as he rides.

"Well, unless someone has something pressing to do, I suggest we get a move on. There's no reason to stick around waiting. We can talk more once we're out on the road." With that, Loghren sets a brisk pace, not stopping to look back to see who follows.

MOD
2008-02-04, 08:35 PM
Vafra

Vafra hops onto her warpony and takes off after Loghren. Leaving Imani and Baelham to somehow manage to get the two pack mules moving. "Wait for me Loghren!"

wxdruid
2008-02-04, 08:42 PM
Imani

Imani will tie one mule's lead line to her warpony and the other lead line to Baelham's horse if he's agreeable.

Deepblue706
2008-02-04, 09:12 PM
Baelham

Making no objection to Imani's actions, Baelham instead offers her a nod as he claims the line to attach to his horse, himself. Then turning to those already making their departure, he calls out.

"Slow down! Do you intend to fight a dragon with half of your group still climbing into their breeches?"

He shakes his head slowly, with narrow, disapproving eyes. "Young people..."

With his armor on and his saddlebags alread prepared the previous day, he climbs (with a grunt) onto his armored steed. He glances around before he has his horse set off. "Where is that court jester Alphonse?"

wxdruid
2008-02-04, 09:39 PM
Imani

Imani gets up on her own warpony and follows behind Baelham. No last words from her.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-02-05, 03:28 PM
You travel for four days without incident, the evening of the fourth day finds you approaching a small town with a rickety sign proclaiming it as 'Peoa'. There are a dozen ramshackle buildings, the largest of which appears to be a tavern. The people you pass seem almost universally to be trappers or propsectors-- and not very concerned with personal hygiene.

MOD
2008-02-05, 04:36 PM
Vafra

Vafra makes idle chit chat during their four day trek, staying near Loghren most of the time. She keeps a wary eye on passersby and anything that might look dangerous.

"We should find a guide soon, if we are to find one at all." Vafra says, jerking her head towards the seedy looking tavern amongst the equally attractive buildings.

Deepblue706
2008-02-07, 05:12 PM
Baelham

As they journeyed, Baelham and his horse chinked and clanked for the length of each day, both suited for nothing less than war. He hadn't expected a fight, but a man in armor was visibly a wealthy one, with power. His armor was, in more ways than one, protection from any bandits who might have thought about attacking any travellers such as they - as attacking a lordly figure is not something many are brave enough to dare to attempt. "I have little doubt we'll find the sort of person we're looking for. It'll just take some asking around. But first, let's get a warm meal - I'm starving." His horse trots at a comfortable pace towards the tavern.

wxdruid
2008-02-07, 05:31 PM
Imani

Imani follows along behind Baelham, she isn't very talkative and mostly watches the people and the scenery of the places they ride through. She wonders if the Tavern has reasonable pallets/beds or if she'll be killing the fleas all night instead of sleeping.

Cybren
2008-02-07, 09:05 PM
Alphonse
Wrinkling his nose a bit, Alphonse kicks his heels in, and with a YA! he out-paces Bealhams horse. "Starving, eh? Capital idea!" He rides off towards the tavern, nearly falling off the horse and landing on his caboose. By the time he finishes meticulously brushing himself off everyone else has caught up.

Deepblue706
2008-02-07, 09:13 PM
Baelham

At Alphonse's antics, Baelham is at a loss for words. His mouth hangs open a slight bit, his eyes squinting, almost in pain. He completely stops in his tracks a moment, letting the others catch up behind him. "What just happened?"

wxdruid
2008-02-07, 09:20 PM
Imani

Imani catches up to Baelham, He just proved to us he doesn't know how to handle a horse.

Loghren the Barbarian
2008-02-07, 10:30 PM
Loghren

After nearly four days of travel, having generally lead the way, keeping an eye out for where the group is going, Loghren is happy to be reaching Peoa.

As Alphonse attempts to bolt, then lands on his rear end, he begins to shout "Alphonse, you . . . " and then his voice trails off, realizing his commentary will have as little effect as it always has. He brings his horse to a halt, allowing the rest of the party to pass him by, before falling back in line at the end.

MOD
2008-02-07, 11:28 PM
Vafra

Gingerly trotting past Alphonse and his antics Vafra leads her warpony to the tavern looking for a place to tie it up that could be viewed from inside the establishment.

"Make this a quick meal and we will have time to locate a guide before morning and everyone has left for a days work." Vafra calls to the group behind her as she ties her warpony securely to a post and walks inside the establishment. Vafra looks for someone who appears incharge."A table, food and drink for five."She says staring up at the person in her angelic mask.

wxdruid
2008-02-09, 06:13 PM
Imani

If the only choice is to tie the horses up outside, Imani will volunteer to remain outside with them. She really doesn't want anyone wandering off with any of their belongings.

Loghren the Barbarian
2008-02-10, 10:53 PM
Loghren

Following Vafra's leading of tying up his horse, Loghren dismounts, readjusts his weapons on his person, and then follows into the inn, or tavern, or whatever it may be. In all honesty, Loghren didn't stop to look. As Vafra calls out the order, Loghren heads toward whoever seems to be in charge.

"Hi there. Can I bug you a minute? I need to find a guide up into the mountains. Who do I talk to about that?" Loghren does his best to seem relaxed and pleasant, despite his straightforward manner.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-02-11, 11:46 AM
The tavernkeeper grunts amusedly at Vafra's request. "Sit where ya' like." He hollers at one of the barmaids-- all fairly bedraggled-- to serve the party. At Loghren's request, he grunts again, then says, "You pro'ly want that fellow over there." He points to a lean halfling with a pock-marked face who's been surreptitiously starting at Vafra since your group entered. "Name of Tew. Knows 'ese mountains better'n any trapper, and pro'ly better'n them thrice-cursed kobolds."

There is indeed a small stable attached to the inn, and Imani has no trouble getting the stablehands to watch the animals.

Deepblue706
2008-02-11, 12:49 PM
Baelham

Walking wearily into the tavern, Baelham's sollerets clank loud with each of his heavy steps. His eyelids were half closed, and he carried a tired frown. However, at the mention of someone familiar with the land being present, he seems revitalized. "Good. Let's pay for a meal and a few pints on his behalf - maybe he'll consider taking up an offer."

wxdruid
2008-02-11, 03:41 PM
Imani

Imani leaves him with just enough money to be sure he'll properly watch the animals and their belongings with an extra incentive waiting for him when they pick up their stuff.

She follows the others inside and whispers to Baelham,
"All of our animals are in the stable with our extra belongings. I left the stablehand with the impression that we expect to find all of our belongings there when we pick up the horses."

Other than that, Imani is quiet and reserved, if anyone looks at them she'll look right back with a look that says, 'you don't want to mess with us.'

MOD
2008-02-11, 09:59 PM
Vafra

Vafra takes a seat at a quite table near the rear of the tavern and motions for the group to join her. Vafra takes the liberty of ordering for everyone, getting whatever meal is offered as well as a few pints of ale for everyone, except Baelham, for whom Vafra orders double.

Deepblue706
2008-02-11, 10:15 PM
Baelham

After offering Imani an affirming nod, Baelham then takes a moment to glance to the others. While any hesitation on their part might not be more than but a moment, he felt as if it may be in their best interest if someone took the initiative.

"Ho there!" He greets Tew, trying to manage a winning smile. "The tavernmaster says you know the surrounding land well, and my party is looking for a guide to bring us into the mountains. Would you perhaps be willing to discuss more over a meal and some ale?" He gestures toward where Vafra is already seated.

Diplomacy: 26 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1489476/)

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-02-12, 11:40 PM
The halfling grunts, "If you're buying, I'm listening. Don't count on me going on some fool mission or idiotic sight-seeing trip."

Deepblue706
2008-02-13, 11:03 AM
Baelham

Revealing the map provided by Ker, Baelham continues. "We're looking for someone said to be hiding out somewhere nearby." He points to the three locations, in the order of probability Ker had mentioned. "We believe he's at one of these places, and we intend to investigate each area until we find him. Of course," He smiles. "we are willing to pay you in gold."

MOD
2008-02-14, 10:57 PM
Vafra

Vafra sits impatiently at the table waiting for the food she ordered to arrive. Vafra begins with a lite tapping of her foot. She counts slowly to ten inside her head and her foot stops tapping for a moment. But as soon as her silent counting had ceased her foot began tapping in irritation and hunger again. While Vafra knew that little time had been passed between her order being taken and the entrance of her companions she was impatient and quite hungry.

Deepblue706
2008-02-15, 11:08 PM
Baelham

With the halfling's hesitation to reply, Baelham decides to make an offering. "How do 50 pieces sound? I'm sure you'll find few other employers willing to give so much for so simple a task."

Loghren the Barbarian
2008-02-16, 01:56 PM
Loghren

Loghren grabs a mug, sits down next to Baelham, and looks the guide over. He does not try to look intimidating, but he knows that's not always easy for a man of his stature. Throughout the dialogue, he looks at the guide, never looking away.

wxdruid
2008-02-19, 05:52 PM
Imani

She'll chose a seat (somewhere away from Vafra...) and she'll eat whatever is offered. She listens and waits for the potential guide to reply.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-02-19, 10:49 PM
"Sounds desperate. What aren't you telling me? That's lizard country up there, that is. You're either desperate or crazy if you're wanting to go up that way." He tucks into the food as the tavernkeep brings it around, although he continues to eye Vafra speculatively while he eats and talks.

MOD
2008-02-20, 03:40 AM
Vafra

Vafra gives the man her trademark ominous stare through her mask. Vafra is an odd sight as she digs in to her food. Her fork appears to travel straight through her mask on its search for her mouth. Vafra chews slowly and with an audible swallow the fork extrudes itself from her mask and is placed gingerly on her plate.

"Crazy," Vafra says responding to Tew, "Yes, that would describe us accurately enough. The offer is 50 gold now, and when we return another 50 and no more questions. Do we have a deal or should we take our business elsewhere?"

Deepblue706
2008-02-20, 11:47 AM
Baelham

Although he gazes upon her with an arched brow, Baelham accepts Vafra's approach, merely awaiting on Tew to decide.

Loghren the Barbarian
2008-02-20, 11:53 AM
Loghren

Loghren smiles at the man he hopes will still potentially be their guide. "It's not so much crazy or desperate as it is that we really don't feel like spending our time wandering aimlessly about town trying to determine who can get us to where we want to go. The Tavernkeeper recommended you. Also, while we are well aware that it is dangerous up there, I'm sure that you know what those dangers are. We need someone who can tell us what they are and show us where they are, so we either can avoid them or hit them straight-on. That seems much better to me than being caught by surprise. We are well-equipped and experienced fighters. With your knowledge and our ability, I'm sure we can keep you safe while we reach our goal. Not only will we do all we can to make sure you are relatively unhurt, in fact, I would insist that if trouble happens, you do what you can to stay safe. We need a guide who will last and live. It wouldn't do us a bit of good to put you at any more risk than necessary. Which is why we would like to get this deal taken care of sooner rather than later. And, sometimes, it's easier to make a good offer from the start rather than sitting around and negotiating. That just wastes time that we could spend planning, learning from you, and preparing ourselves for whatever dangers are out there"

Cybren
2008-02-27, 12:02 PM
Alphonse

Strolling up to the would-be-guide, Alphonse takes out a small pouch. "How would a bag of Archibalds do you to help us?" He lays the bag down at the halflings feet, and a few platinum pieces are visible peaking through. Perhaps Archibald is the name of the figure on the coins, a local figure wherever they were minted. Or perhaps Alphonse enjoys the idea of 'coining' a phrase. (The bag contains ten platinums)

Deepblue706
2008-03-03, 09:38 AM
Baelham

Turning away from the halfling's gaze, Baelham's face is visibly consumed by frustration. "How much money do you have? We might need that for something important - so give him some time to consider what we've laid on the table before throwing more at him!"

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-03-20, 12:03 PM
Tew eyes the pouch of platinum coin for a moment before shaking his head emphatically. "My answer is no. You might make me rich, but riches do no good to a dead man. Thanks for the drink," he says, downing the ale and getting up from the table. "But you can find some darn fool around here to take your over-priced guide job." He nods once to Vafra before leaving the inn.

Deepblue706
2008-03-20, 01:32 PM
Once Tew leaves, Baelham's open hand meets his forehead with an audible slap, then slowly reaching down toward his chin, pulling down the skin of his face as he shields his eyes and gritting teeth that mark his agony quite well.

He suffers his frustration silently, however, and breathes a moment before addressing the party "Okay..." He says with a quiet voice. "...let's...try to find someone else, then." he stares a bit vacantly into the floor a few feet away. "And..." he then shoots a glance to each member. "...how about we let me do all the talking, hmm?"

wxdruid
2008-03-21, 01:12 PM
Imani

Imani looks equally frustrated, one hand is on her dagger, fingering the hilt. It would be so pleasant to rid themselves of one nuisance... but she won't. Both hands end up where everyone can see them. She drinks whatever is in her mug, Yes, let's, as she glares in Alphonse's direction.

MOD
2008-03-21, 09:47 PM
Vafra

Vafra nods to Tew as he leaves with a raised eyebrow. Why the nod? Snatching up the bag of 'Archibalds' Vafra shoves it into Alphonse's hands and gives him the same ominus stare that she had previously given everyone else; a stare that said sit down and shut up before I sit you down and shut you up. "Agreed," Vafra says to Baelham grudingly, "But be quick about it and find someone already I would rather not have to do it myself..."

Deepblue706
2008-03-22, 11:11 AM
Baelham

"Yeah," Baelham gives Vafra a reluctant nod. "eat, I'll look around."

Baelham returns to the tavernkeeper. "It would appear the man you suggested our group employ isn't currently for hire. You wouldn't happen to know of any other reliable trappers or hunters who could serve as a guide, would you?"

Loghren the Barbarian
2008-03-22, 02:46 PM
Loghren

Unsure if his long-winded rant was at least partially to blame, in addition to the ridiculous constant offer of coin, Loghren finds a seat by himself. He sits, drinking a mug of ale, and staring blankly at the table, doing his best to think of as little as possible. I'll let them take care of getting us a guide. No need to stick my boot in my mouth again.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-03-22, 11:30 PM
A seedy looking half-elf with a weasel-like nose looks over the top of his beer as Baelham speaks to the barkeep. "I might could show you 'round. Where you lookin' to head, and how much you offerin'?"

Deepblue706
2008-03-23, 01:59 AM
Baelham, somewhat relieved to find another prospective guide so soon, immediately turns toward the half-elf, and approaches him.

Sense motive: 10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1535335/) on the Half-Elf dude. You totally asked for it when you described him as "seedy"

"Up into the mountains. We have a map, but no bearings of the area." He glances to the other members of the party, and then back, before revealing the map they were given. "You could say we're a band of explorers, out to find treasures of both historical and monetary value. The place we're looking for is one of the locations marks on this map, we're sure, but there's no telling which it is. Of course, we understand that since it may be a bit of work, asking you to bring us from place to place, without handsome payment, would be out of the question. And so, we are prepared to pay you a sum of fifty gold coins for your troubles - after we arrive at our destination, of course. Does that sound suitable to you?"

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-03-27, 11:04 AM
(Sorry for the delayed reply. Seems any time I had time to post, I couldn't get the site to load right.)

Baelham detects no hidden motives in the half-elf, beyond an obvious desire to earn some coin for what he appears to consider an easy job. "For fifty gold, I might could take you to the Gates of Destruction and back-- if'n I knew where they was at. Still, as that ain't where you're lookin' to head, I think we can come to an agreement sure enough. When you lookin' to leave?" The prospective guide smells heavily of drink, but he appears to be alert and sober despite it.

Deepblue706
2008-03-27, 07:58 PM
Quite pleased, Baelham cannot keep himself from smiling - something he is not prone to doing. He almost begins to name a time, but considers the smell of alcohol before speaking. "We'd like to leave tomorrow, somewhat early. Not at the break of dawn, mind you, but early morning - preferably just after breakfasttime. Can you meet us here then?"

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-03-27, 09:09 PM
"I'll be here," the fellow replies. "Lessen you'd rather I meet you somewhere else."

Deepblue706
2008-03-27, 10:01 PM
"No, here is perfectly fine." He glances to his companions. "We were just about to sit down to a meal - would you care to join us?"

MOD
2008-03-27, 10:15 PM
Vafra

Vafra will eat with everyone, including the guide. After enjoying a decent meal, she will wait for Loghren to secure himself a room and slip in as usual for a nights rest.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2008-03-28, 10:29 AM
The guide is quite willing to take up an offer of a free meal, and joins you. After a night broken only by the occasional sound of raucous behavior drifting up from the common room, you find the guide waiting for you in the common room, tucking into a breakfast spread laid out for the party. "You're pickin' up the bill, I trust?"

wxdruid
2008-03-28, 12:57 PM
Imani

Imani comes down the next morning and when he asks her. She looks at him, "Yes...we are" She sits down across from him and serves herself from the food available. "Do you have your own horse stabled here? Or will you require us to 'buy' you one?" She's working to keep the sarcasm and irony out of her voice, but she isn't quite succeeding.

Deepblue706
2008-03-28, 01:43 PM
Baelham

Rubbing his eyes a bit as he comes into the room, Baelham is - as usual - looking a bit weary. He sits himself at the table, looking a bit more lively as he gets a closer look at the assortment of food. "Get down you can quickly - once Alphonse gets up, he'll start stuffing everything he can into his pockets without regard to who's eaten."

Loghren the Barbarian
2008-03-28, 03:15 PM
Loghren

After his usual discussions with Vafra about not sleeping in the bed with him, Loghren settles down for the night. He drags himself awake, stumbling out to face the day, following a couple of steps behind Baelham. "It's true. Grab whatever you want before Alphonse gets it." Loghren grabs a large chunk of bread and a mug of ale, then drops himself into a chair.

Cybren
2008-03-29, 12:12 AM
Dear Doctor Alphonse

Waking lazily, Alphonse straps on his boots, overlooks his books and heads downstairs. "Morning, friends." He seats himself at the table, and takes a meager portion of food. He looks to no one in particular and speaks aloud, "I must keep my figure, after all".

MOD
2008-03-29, 09:21 AM
Vafra

Vafra climbs down the stairs after Loghren in her usual attire. Quietly making her way to breakfast, she notices that the day has not yet reached its midpoint yet and Loghren has already started drinking, typical. Grabbing a seat next to Imani she eats, again, through the mask on her face.

wxdruid
2008-03-29, 02:59 PM
Imani

Imani is irritated when Vafra sits next to her, but hids it behind a mask of busily eating and watching their guide.

Deepblue706
2008-03-31, 09:08 PM
Baelham

While Baelham says little once he begins eating, he still gives his usual glances at the alien ways of Vafra and the somewhat unhinged methods of Alphonse. He would not be known to comment on such things, but it was quite obvious he felt awkward dealing with them.

Once finished eating, Baelham will dismiss himself from the table; then followed by checking on his horse, and finally donning his armor (with the help of any volunteers - full plate isn't something you can really put on properly by yourself). If ready to leave before anyone else, he merely spends his time reviewing his spellbook.

MOD
2008-03-31, 11:29 PM
Vafra

Finishing up her meal Vafra gives the assembled group a jerk of her head toward the door. A jerk that indicated it was time to follow Baelham's lead and embark on their mission. Vafra gathers the few belongings she brought, then moves to check on the horses and the pack mules making sure nothing untoward happened in the night.

After doing a thorough inventory against her checklist, she will help Baelham with his armor if he has not had any other volunteers. Though she doesn't volunteer with any speed.

Loghren the Barbarian
2008-04-01, 12:51 PM
Loghren

Although still eating, Loghren notices Vafra's head nod. He grabs one last swig of ale, collects his gear, and heads out the door with a "We should go." Loghren lends a hand to Baelham, situates his small armory accordingly, and pauses to ensure that everyone else has followed.

wxdruid
2008-04-01, 01:16 PM
Imani

Imani will be last, she'll settle with the innkeeper and frown a little at her dwindling supply of money. She gets her own warpony ready. It doesn't take her long to be ready to go. One pack horse is already tied up behind her pony.

Deepblue706
2008-04-06, 05:40 PM
Baelham

After finally rounding up his things and seeing that the party was mostly-ready to depart, he then noticed they lacked their eccentric enchanter. Perhaps, eccentric was an understatement.

"Alphonse!" He calls from just outside the inn. "Come out, you procastinating prestidigitator! It's time to go!"