PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite alcohol?

Thinker
2007-12-19, 10:33 AM
Inspired by the "Why Drink" thread where its obvious there are plenty who enjoy it, I decided to see what everyone's favorite booze is. Mine is Rum: it goes great with a lot of things.

LCR
2007-12-19, 10:37 AM
Ethanol.

On a more serious note: Beer (Guinness, Hefeweizen, Andechser, Lübzer), Gin Tonic

Hoggy
2007-12-19, 10:41 AM
Absinthe, Ouzo, and Doombar (localish ale). However, seeing as many places around here don't serve those, I tend to start on a couple pints of carlsberg, and then move onto vodka/sambouka.

Sleet
2007-12-19, 10:42 AM
I couldn't name a single favorite; it's a matter of what sort of drink I'm indulging in.

- For beer, I like Murphy's Stout (Sorry, Guinness fans, that's a good beer, but I like Murhpy's better. :smallwink: )

- I never knew why people bothered with cider until I had a Bulmer's on draft in a pub in County Galway. Wow.

- When I'm drinking wine, my preference is New Zealand or Australian shiraz.

- When I'm drinking the hard stuff, I prefer Oban (scotch) or Redbreast (Irish). Straight up, no mixing, no ice. A bit of Bailey's in my coffee is very nice on a cold winter's evening.

I should stress that the best drinks need to be consumed in moderation. There's no sense in getting blotto on any of these, you'll bankrupt yourself plus you won't appreciate the taste.

Charity
2007-12-19, 10:49 AM
I find my tastes change with the seasons.
Springtime - Light beers, red wine (though nothing heavy) and Pimms.
Summer - Light beers, red wine (with more body but nothing too plummy), spirits such as tequila and vodka, and Pimms oooh I nearly forgot any rum based cocktail... mmmm.
Autumn - Dark beers, red wine (sturdy wines with a bit of clout) spirits such as rum, tequila maybe brandy.
Winter - Red wine (with plenty of fruity flavour) spirits such as Vodka, rum and tequila.
Though when you are out and about you go with what they have I find.

Absinthe, Ouzo,
bleah really?

Gungnir
2007-12-19, 10:52 AM
I just love Shirley Temples, but they make me oh so tipsy. :smalltongue:

captain_decadence
2007-12-19, 11:13 AM
I love red wine. It's just amazingness in my mouth.

The only exception I can make for this is spiced wine (which is made from red wine so maybe not really an exception) is amazing when its cold and wet.

I do drink other things, but not nearly as much as I drink wine. All of my friends say that I am classy because it's always my main alcohol.

Gitman00
2007-12-19, 11:41 AM
Loooove the Guinness. I could drink it any day of the week. A nice single malt Scotch is good, too. I'm a fan of Glenmorangie, and Glenfiddich is excellent as well.

If I'm in an Irish mood, Tyrconnell and Connemara are both very nice, straight up or on the rocks. Paddy is good for mixing; that's what I usually put in my coffee. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any of these in the States. Needless to say, I'm nursing the bottles I brought back from Ireland.

Lady Tialait
2007-12-19, 11:48 AM
I'm originally from a small Oklahoma Town...so I have simple tastes, Strait Jack Danny, MadDog 2002, or....Duh Duh Duh....Bathtub Wiskey....

I also had my run in with Butterscotch Snopps reasently...I can drink that stuff till I worship at the Alter...(you know what I mean)

Hoggy
2007-12-19, 11:56 AM
@ Charity: Yes, really. I've been told it's odd. :smalltongue:

Also, the only cider I find drinkable is Magner's.

Catch
2007-12-19, 12:02 PM
Jameson's, hands down. I'm always up for wine-tasting and I have a Guinness here and there, maybe a couple of White Russians, but I always come back to the whiskey.

Last_resort_33
2007-12-19, 12:09 PM
Dark Ale
Hobgoblin for preference.

Love a bit of red wine, strong and fruity, and yes, hot spiced wine with sweet cider and a bit of rum is the drink of gods on a cold day.

tape_measure
2007-12-19, 12:54 PM
Bourbo. Hands down. The kind made right here in ol' 'Tucky at that.

Top Five Bourbon's
1. Ancient Age (cheap and to the point)
2. Old whiskey River (thank you Willie Nelson!)
3. Old Forrester
4. Four Rose's
5. Ancient Ancient Age (not a reprint, just the 10 year version)

I've tried scotch and sour mash, but they just fail in comparison.

i found a nice beer in Oberon's Summer Ale (the one with orange sun), but the damned things are too expensive for the worth. I can find a 5th of Ancient Age for the same price of a 6-pack of Oberron. Now, I'm not the most math-savvy person, but it seems I get more bang for my buck with the Ancient Age.

Amotis
2007-12-19, 01:30 PM
I like vodka. Grey Goose, Chopin, Diamond, Belvedere, Kirkland, etc.

I'm running out of money. :smallfrown:

rubakhin
2007-12-19, 01:33 PM
Odekolon.

*cough*

Er, I'll drink anything, really. Jesus, you would not believe some of the things that've gone down the hatch. The worst two nights of my life were the time I ran into this crazy old Siberian infantryman who taught me how to make antifreeze cocktails (I kid you not), and then the time I found a bottle of expired Chanel knockoff in my mother's bathroom and decided not to let it go to waste.

But predictably, I like vodka. Whiskey was my poison up until recently, only vodka ... well, there's something about it that fills me with a sense of bliss. It really is like water somehow, like a fresh stream.

I don't drink much beer, but Stella Artois is okay.

Ichneumon
2007-12-19, 01:35 PM
What's your favorite alcohol?

None, not drinking alcohol is one of my moral values.

reorith
2007-12-19, 01:55 PM
in order from awesomeist to least awesome but still preferable.
jägermeister is win (cuz its vegan)
jim beam (cuz its vegan)
jack daniels (cuz its vegan)
jose cuervo (cuz its vegan)
for beer, it is pretty much just mgd (cuz its vegan)

eidreff
2007-12-19, 02:01 PM
Beer, wine and spirits.

So long as they're kept properly and the lines/optiks etc are clean.

All have their own charm. I also have been know to drink [whisper] non-alcoholic[whisper/] beverages.

Haruki-kun
2007-12-19, 02:02 PM
I don't drink much, but I like Mixed Drinks a lot.

I also like White Wine, but not Red one. Well, I like the Red one's taste..... but it makes me start coughing a lot and I don't like that feeling.

I'm a really weird person, I should point out. I'm a Mexican who doesn't drink Tequila. How's that. :smalltongue:

Bodinx
2007-12-19, 02:44 PM
Single malt 20 year old scotch! oooh, and Ceasars! Can't forget the Ceasars!

Alebeard_Thunderax
2007-12-19, 03:23 PM
Methyl (http://www.2spi.com/catalog/chem/images/2523.jpg)

Though I do use Isopropyl for my everyday sterilization needs.

Lilly
2007-12-19, 03:32 PM
I'm partial to Tequila (if mixed with something), Rum (also mixed with something), and Mint Baileys in milk shakes or hot chocolate, if I'm going to drink it.

It's always useful to have a bottle of Everclear around, espically for sterilization purposes, or if your dog drinks antifreeze.

bosssmiley
2007-12-19, 03:59 PM
Scotch, Bourbon and Lindisfarne Mead (http://www.lindisfarne-mead.co.uk/).

Mead is the manliest drink in the world anyway (Oh no? How many times you been stung by a grape, or by some hops for that matter?); then you make it Geordie. It can bring back the dead for another glass. :smallcool:

Jameson's, hands down.

Oooooh. Love it! That stuff practically drinks itself. I've no idea how that half bottle there has lasted so long.

AFK :smallwink:

Perhaps 'personal choices' is a better turn of phrase there mate? Nothing immoral about a good drink with friends to help pass the time.

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-19, 04:02 PM
I'm partial to Bourbon. As for my favorite non-alcoholic beverages, my favorite brand is Killians or Amberboch.

topher
2007-12-19, 04:10 PM
White wine is the best, oh so yummy.
Rum and coke.
Strawberry margarita.
Miller HighLife, Heineken.
Tequila tastes horrible but it gets me drunk real quick.

Tormsskull
2007-12-19, 04:52 PM
If its a beer day, Miller Lite, or Sam Adam's (Cherrywheat is particularly good).

If its a liquor day (very rare for me) I'll mix up a screwdriver.

Smeik
2007-12-19, 05:05 PM
Mead is my most favourite. At least if it's good one.

Or Irish Whiskey. Can't get better than Tullamore or Paddy's:smallcool: .

And at this time of year, I drink mostly swedish glogg, as it's absolutely awesome.

Absinthe is also good, if you don't want to live through the night. Same as vodka, especially Absolut.

For beer, I have to say, yes it's good, but as you drink it in frequencies as big as that of non - alcoholic beverages, you can't really say it's special or favourite. Favourite is something for me, you really look forward to. :smallwink:

Metal Head
2007-12-19, 05:12 PM
Usually Samuel Adams beer. It's the only good American beer, and it's delicious. Of the many types of Sam Adams, I like the Boston Lager best. If I want something stronger than beer, then I'll go for some krupnik.

MR.PIXIE
2007-12-19, 05:20 PM
I dont think I'll like any alcohol, I had a bad expereance with it when i was five.
drank some.. and the taste haunted me forever.
now;
Im scared to try any at all.

Roland St. Jude
2007-12-19, 05:26 PM
Almost anything when I'm in the mood for it - kind of like food. There's very little I don't like if it's well-prepared and I'm in the mood for it.

If it's wine, I usually prefer Shiraz, often from Australia or Chile. If it's beer, I tend to prefer ambers. For mixed drinks, I often have margaritas - I'm a big lime fan. Straight up, which I tend to do the least of, I don't really have a favorite; I tend to go for whatever sounds most appealling.

But usually, I'm either picking based on my present whim or pairing my drink with my food. (Yes, there is an art to beer pairing!) I tend to get passionate about food and drink. :smallamused:

One thing I'm really into lately is sweet wines. Like fruit wines, ice wines, plum wine (which I suppose it a subset of fruit wine, but oh well).

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2007-12-19, 06:13 PM
"A house without whiskey is a house without love."

-Quote some old geezer who used to hang around here

If your house is in particular need of love I recommend Blanton's Single Barrel Kentucky Bourbon. It packs a wallop, but a wallop wreathed in caramel and oak. And love, of course.

an kobold
2007-12-19, 06:36 PM
Delicious White Russians and what they are made of.

Kahlua and vodka are my vices.

Chunklets
2007-12-19, 06:38 PM
"A house without whiskey is a house without love."

I have a bottle of the stuff (Teacher's, appropriately) in my office desk drawer right now! I haven't opened it yet, but am looking forward to sampling it over the holidays.

Generally, though, I'm a beer man, with a preference for the dark stuff. We have a semi-local brewery around here called Big Rock that makes some quite nice "specialty" beers, although it's been a while since I've been able to find their Winter Porter on tap.

As for the harder stuff, I'm partial to whiskey, and I've also found that a nice (small) glass of grappa after dinner is a wonderful thing!

I do drink some wine, particularly red. Although I can't in good conscience claim to be able to tell the difference, I tend to buy Italian.

Mephisto
2007-12-19, 06:45 PM

Congratulations, I hope your superiority complex brings you great cheer. Seriously, wtf was the point of posting that here?

2007-12-19, 06:45 PM
I have a bottle of the stuff (Teacher's, appropriately) in my office desk drawer right now! I haven't opened it yet, but am looking forward to sampling it over the holidays.

Generally, though, I'm a beer man, with a preference for the dark stuff. We have a semi-local brewery around here called Big Rock that makes some quite nice "specialty" beers, although it's been a while since I've been able to find their Winter Porter on tap.

As for the harder stuff, I'm partial to whiskey, and I've also found that a nice (small) glass of grappa after dinner is a wonderful thing!

I do drink some wine, particularly red. Although I can't in good conscience claim to be able to tell the difference, I tend to buy Italian.

I had some FANTASTIC grappa in Italy, but everything we've been able to find here is really raw...closer to kerosene than the elixir I had overseas. I wish I knew more about it so I could shop for it properly.

Wine is a delight too. I tend to favor dry reds like sangiovese or shiraz and slightly-sweet whites, like the drier rieslings or chardonnays.

Saeveo
2007-12-19, 08:10 PM
When I'm out, I usually go for lager, maybe absinthe or sambuca as well if it's a long night. (Anything flavoured with anise is fine by me.) Tequila occasionally as well.

At home, I usually have wine. With regards to taste I've no real preference, but red wine makes me queasy after a few glasses. Bailey's is good too.

Goff
2007-12-19, 08:50 PM
I don't actually drink, but brandy and sambuca are truly delicious.

Serpentine
2007-12-19, 09:19 PM
Toblerone. Mmmm.
Just like a choc-late milk-shake on-ly tips-y

ZombieRockStar
2007-12-19, 09:47 PM
:smallconfused: Huh? Toblerone here means a triangular chocolate bar...

I'm the kind of guy who will drink almost anything. At home, however, I don't actually drink much. Bailey's Irish Cream, mixed drinks made with vodka (I usually favour a white russian, but maybe because it's simple to make), or the occasional scotch whiskey (anything but Johnny Walker, which is vile).

And absinthe is good. Ouzo too...both as after-dinner liquors.

Serpentine
2007-12-19, 10:29 PM
I know, but it's also a cocktail. I can't remember exactly what's supposed to go in it, but I believe it's something along the lines of Baileys, Frangelico, chocolate syrup and... slushy ice or something. The best one I ever had, though, was by someone who didn't actually know what it was and sort of made it up as he went. He used honey instead of the syrup. Mmmm, soooo tasty :smallbiggrin: Doesn't exactly taste of alcohol, though.

Vondre
2007-12-19, 10:54 PM
Oh, the woes of being a (law-abiding (usually :smallbiggrin: )) minor. I don't drink often at all, and thus am not fit to judge many drinks, but I've tried several kinds of ale, wine, and liquor. The only one that I've really, really wanted more of was something we got in New Hampshire, I think. It was a maple sugar liqueur. And it was great. It was like drinking distilled joy with a dash of wonderful, soaked in yum and served in a glass of delicious. Times two.

CabbageTheif
2007-12-19, 11:08 PM
I dont think I'll like any alcohol, I had a bad expereance with it when i was five.
drank some.. and the taste haunted me forever.
now;
Im scared to try any at all.

well, if you are ever curious, with an experience like that i suggest this, something i made a few weeks back: the Demeter, named after the greek goddess of the earth. i am still working on the ratio, but the best i have judged is one part blueberry flavored vodka, four parts mountain dew. i suggest it because you can barley taste the alchohol, and the flavor is nice and strong.

i myself enjoy mixing vodka with different things. these are a few that i have invented with my group of friends
nameless= 1 p vodka, 2 p mountain dew
demeter= 1 p blueberry vodka, 4 p mountain dew
napoleons defeat=1 part vodka, 1 part blue gatorade
scurvy=1 part spiced rum, 3 parts orange juice
tomato soup=1 part vodka, 3 parts strawberry&fruit punch juice, tropicana, a smidge of jack daniels

try them all, and tell me your inventions, i like trying new things

Serpentine
2007-12-19, 11:19 PM
It was a maple sugar liqueur. And it was great. It was like drinking distilled joy with a dash of wonderful, soaked in yum and served in a glass of delicious. Times two.Sounds tasty...
I demand more maple products!

The Extinguisher
2007-12-19, 11:19 PM
Screech.

That stuff is strong, but it's so good.
The largest bottle of it you can buy is tiny though, because of it's strength.

reorith
2007-12-19, 11:21 PM
well, if you are ever curious, with an experience like that i suggest this, something i made a few weeks back: the Demeter, named after the greek goddess of the earth. i am still working on the ratio, but the best i have judged is one part blueberry flavored vodka, four parts mountain dew. i suggest it because you can barley taste the alchohol, and the flavor is nice and strong.

i myself enjoy mixing vodka with different things. these are a few that i have invented with my group of friends
nameless= 1 p vodka, 2 p mountain dew
demeter= 1 p blueberry vodka, 4 p mountain dew
napoleons defeat=1 part vodka, 1 part blue gatorade
scurvy=1 part spiced rum, 3 parts orange juice
tomato soup=1 part vodka, 3 parts strawberry&fruit punch juice, tropicana, a smidge of jack daniels

try them all, and tell me your inventions, i like trying new things

sorry i horked on your floor freshmen year.

CabbageTheif
2007-12-19, 11:36 PM
sorry i horked on your floor freshmen year.

it was all in teds sheets. lol. no need to apologize, you said sorry enough that weekend

reorith
2007-12-19, 11:45 PM
it was all in teds sheets. lol. no need to apologize, you said sorry enough that weekend

vlad is my least favorite type of alcohol. ted's sheets? i lol'd in a secretly guilty kinda way

Perducci
2007-12-19, 11:46 PM
Straight tequila. Plain and simple. Although sometimes with pepsi for the unique after taste.

I like the taste of most liquor. The aftertaste effect is wonderful. Beer is just frikkin gross. Just being around the smell of it makes me feel sick.

hobbes543
2007-12-19, 11:47 PM
Mostly beer for me... The type is largely based on what bar I am at or what the liquor store has. If I'm at an Irish pub, a good half and half is always nice.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-12-19, 11:51 PM
Chartreuse or Absinthe.

Brickwall
2007-12-19, 11:58 PM
My favorite alcoholic beverage is the only one I can get on my tongue without wanting to vomit, and that is Irish Cream. I have barely ever had any, though, and probably won't be changing that for a few years. :smallfrown:

Alarra
2007-12-20, 12:10 AM
I like fruity, sweet cocktails.
My favorite drink is a pineapple upsidedown cake martini, but really, i love darn near any martinis. Mai tai's are yum and pina coladas and daquiris and mojitos any number of other tropical like drinks. White russians and amaretto sours are good too.

As for actual alcohol types...rum...particularly malibu, amaretto, vanilla vodka.

Wines...I actually like most everything, but I'm partial to sweeter whites, and strawberry wine..mmmm.

Ooooh and pear cider. That's really tasty. So's apricot ale. Oh...and Mead. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2007-12-20, 12:30 AM
Oh yes, tequila. I'm a fan of lick-sip-suck.

Perducci
2007-12-20, 01:34 AM
I'm more of fan of stumbling around with a handle and playing darts.

Haruki-kun
2007-12-20, 02:01 AM
I like fruity, sweet cocktails.
My favorite drink is a pineapple upsidedown cake martini, but really, i love darn near any martinis. Mai tai's are yum and pina coladas and daquiris and mojitos any number of other tropical like drinks. White russians and amaretto sours are good too.

As for actual alcohol types...rum...particularly malibu, amaretto, vanilla vodka.

Wines...I actually like most everything, but I'm partial to sweeter whites, and strawberry wine..mmmm.

Ooooh and pear cider. That's really tasty. So's apricot ale. Oh...and Mead. :smallbiggrin:

You like the sweeter stuff. :smallbiggrin: I think we agree on that, then. Piña Colada. O.O

...............I feel like getting one now.

Ceska
2007-12-20, 02:04 AM
I'm a sucker for all sweet tropical cocktails. I also only drink Cola when mixed with good Rum, then it tastes great.

Of course I like a beer (or Bierlie, like we call it) once in a while.

As for strong alcohol, I like Slivovitz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slivovitz) and other "Obstler", schnaps (any strong alcoholic beverage not having a special name is called Schnaps in Austria) made from different kinds of fruits.

@V: Nah, can't drink Cola without it. Also tend to make them awfully strong. Doesn't give me a chance to drink much of it.

Haruki-kun
2007-12-20, 02:06 AM
I also only drink Cola when mixed with good Rum, then it tastes great.

I like that a lot, too..... but strangely enough, I like Cola without Rum a lot better. I just love sweets. :smallbiggrin:

Generic Archer
2007-12-20, 03:30 AM
Single malt 20 year old scotch!

now thats the stuff. 16 + years anyway.... caol ila is among the best

tequilas not bad, and any desert wine (tokay muscat port etc) is good

Nyarlethotep
2007-12-20, 05:39 AM
It depends on the situation:
Just a regular night out I’ll go for lager, usually Stella or Kro
If I’m chilling with my mates for the aperitif, it’s got to be Ricard (none of that Pastis 51 filth!)
With a meal, or just if I want to savour my booze I’d normally go for red wine, usually an Australian Shiraz or some such
Or if I’m at a party I’ll normally stick to Kalimotxo, a combo of red wine and coke. The cheaper the red, the better! Cheap, cheerful and tasty!

Destro_Yersul
2007-12-20, 05:55 AM
Czech Absinthe :smallbiggrin:
But seriously? Tequila isn't bad, if it's GOOD tequila. Rum is good, German beer is good, Canadian beer is alright, Strongbow (dry apple cider) is very good...

I also like Long Island Ice Tea. Apparently those are good for introducing your head to the floor. Strongbow is good for that too, come to think of it...

Oh, and I want to try a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster at some point. I'll get back to you all on how those are.

((And if anyone bothered to check my profile and is wondering why I drink alcohol at 19, it's because I'm Canadian. It's allowed up here))

Turcano
2007-12-20, 06:28 AM
My favorite is single malt Scotch, alongside a glass of 7-Up and a plate of Tollhouse cookies. My experience is only with Highland and Speyside whiskies (i.e., Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, and Glenmorangie). Distribution is really hampering expansion of my palate, though. I'd really like to try something from the Lowlands, the Islands, and Islay (I've got my sights on Glenkinchie, Highland Park, and Laphroaig, respectively).

I'm also partial to stout and mead.

I also only drink Cola when mixed with good Rum, then it tastes great.

My brother's a fan of that drink. I tried it once, and I don't see the appeal.

Arcwell
2007-12-20, 06:33 AM
I prefer to drink ales and stouts whenever I get the chance, never really been much of fan of lager.
My favourite Ale has got to be Old Peculiar, I can never seem to get enough of the stuff.
At parties I usually crack open the Yagermeister and start on the Yager bombs (a double shot glass of Yager dropped into a half pint glass of red bull filled about half way)and I love flaming Sambucas.

2007-12-20, 05:54 PM
My favorite is single malt Scotch, alongside a glass of 7-Up and a plate of Tollhouse cookies. My experience is only with Highland and Speyside whiskies (i.e., Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, and Glenmorangie). Distribution is really hampering expansion of my palate, though. I'd really like to try something from the Lowlands, the Islands, and Islay (I've got my sights on Glenkinchie, Highland Park, and Laphroaig, respectively).

I'm also partial to stout and mead.

My brother's a fan of that drink. I tried it once, and I don't see the appeal.

Be warned: Laphroig is Epic-level peaty. It's like drinking scotch with your head directly over a campfire. While eating a nice, fresh slab of peat. With some peat on the side.

It's really good, but I have to take it with at least a spoon or two of water.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-12-20, 06:36 PM
Red wine, dark beer, vodka, rum, tsipouro, raki.

North
2007-12-20, 06:53 PM
Beers - Stella, New Castle, Kokanee
Mixed Fancy Stuff - Caesars-Extra Spicy, Vodka Slime,
Shots - China White, Bottle Cap, Jagr/Vodka/Rum/etc
Hard Alcohols - Vodka, Jagr

It kind of comes in waves what I like. Right now Absolut Rasperry Vodka and Cream Soda is ZOMG so good.

Irenaeus
2007-12-20, 07:07 PM
Though I have many kinds of beverages I enjoy, I love single malts above all else. Lagavulin and Laphroig are my absolute favorites (without water, since it was mentioned earlier), but currently I am drinking a very fine glass of Talisker. As for the age of the whisky, most single malts are exactly the age they are supposed to be. I think a 10 year old Bowmore tastes far better than a 12 year Glenfiddich. Personal preference rules supreme.

None, not drinking alcohol is one of my moral values.Congratulations. Sticking to your moral values, as long as they are continually well-founded intellectualy, is very important.

One of my moral values is not trolling, but I sometimes fail.

Rumda
2007-12-20, 07:32 PM
Jameson's, hands down. I'm always up for wine-tasting and I have a Guinness here and there, maybe a couple of White Russians, but I always come back to the whiskey.
ah someone with taste.

with me on a night out i usably move down this list

lager (carlsburg more often than not)
Guinness
Jameson's

Orzel
2007-12-20, 07:33 PM
Rum mostly from the southernmost isles of the Carib
180 proof or better... or not

Eitel
2007-12-20, 07:45 PM
Special Brew!

Ok so maybe tramp juice isn't quite my taste.

I'd have to say red wine is my favourite, probably of the Pinot Noir variety if I had to be picky.

spaceLem
2007-12-20, 07:56 PM
Beer-wise, I am quite partial to Theakston's Old Peculiar (from Yorkshire), and there are numerous interesting real ales in Scotland. Hobgoblin is nice enough, but the logo rocks. Best beer I've ever had is probably Norfolk Nog. I don't drink lager at all.

Cider, I go for Weston's Organic cider. 6.5%, tastes lovely, makes your head hurt the next day. Usually drink Scrumpy Jack because it's readily available in Tesco, and my fiancée likes it.

Whisky, I've had Laphroaig 15, which is much better than the Laphroaig 12 that my parents drink. We also enjoy Jameson's Irish Whiskey. I know enough about whisky to never add ice, or more than a drop of water.

Other drinks: I enjoy spiced rum neat, and I like to have Moniack mead at Yule or at mediaeval re-enactment events.

Not much of a wine drinker, but my fiancée and I tend to go for rosé.

Irenaeus
2007-12-20, 08:08 PM
Whisky, I've had Laphroaig 15, which is much better than the Laphroaig 12 that my parents drink.You kind of caught my interest here, as Laphroaig 12 is one of my favorites. In what way is the 15yrs better?

As for the best beer logo, I think this wins hands down: http://www.arrogantbastard.com/images/intro.gif

Beleriphon
2007-12-20, 08:46 PM
Can't go wrong with a Kawartha Brewery's raspberry wheat ale.

For anybody that will be passing through Peterborough ON anytime check out The Old Stone, they are a superb microbrewery and do seasonal beers. Like pumpkin beer.

General drinking I'd say a rye and ginger (thats rye and ginger ale) for a solid drink that I can put back for hours. Or not, depending on my mood and the setting.

As a quick tip though, don't drink twelve classes of Glenfiddich in half an hour. It hurts, a lot.

Kalessin
2007-12-21, 08:21 AM
Well.... I really, really enjoy good beers. And I prefer dark ones. The best I have had is the Latvian "Piebalga" but it is only attainable in Latvia.
I also drink cheap wines, red ones mostly, and recently discovered a new drink, kalimucho. It's half cola and half cheap denatured alcohol based wine. Has a great aftertaste, a bit marzipan.
And of course whiskey... and vodka. Good vodka is... undescribable. It is extremely banal, but vodka is the only drink, with what you can drink to uphold the memory of dead people. Vodka has it's magic... it's drunken, street bum magic, but still magic.

Darius Midnite
2007-12-21, 11:00 AM
All Scotland Single Malt whiskeys, I prefer those with a roasted and smokey flavor. My favorite so far is a Caol Ila 12 years Islay Single Malt. I am also a big fan of Gin, though I rarely drink it clean.

Winter_Wolf
2007-12-21, 11:25 AM
I have no "favorite", because there are just too many good ones out there. True, I don't drink now, but when I did, here's a partial list of the ones I really liked:

Mead. I've had good and not-so-good varieties, the the latter being in abundance and the former being available just often enough to keep you looking for it.

Earthy red wines. It's an acquired taste to be sure, but since being acquired, I just can't go back to the stuff I used to drink. It's an expensive habit though, right up there with mead consumption.

Vodka, straight. I don't like ice in my drinks, though I've been known to stick my alcohol into a freezer for a few hours to get it nice and cold. But this is purely a social drink for when I'm with my cousins up north. Mixing vodka with other things is wrong. I like the good kamikaze, but it's still wrong.

Bombay Sapphire gin tonic. That is essentially the only gin I have any affection for. This is the "family drink". Only me, my wife, and very close family friends. I'd never have gin tonic with my cousins. That's the vodka group.

Any amber beer, but especially Alaskan Amber or the one I can't remember the name of that I had at The Ram (bar/restaurantbrewery in Tacoma, WA). This is the choice when with friends don't quite make the gin tonic group.

Frangelico. It's the magical liqueur that transforms when properly consumed. It becomes the magical Chocolate Cake Shot. Props to my cousin for introducing me to it; he learned it from a guy who learned it from a guy as it were.

Creme de Cacao in hot chocolate. Hey, if you can afford the calories, it's great in the winter. Even if you can't afford the calories.

Cocoa Alcoholic: Shot of vodka, shot of Frangelico, shot of creme de cacao in a double-strength cup of hot chocolate. There might be some official name for it, but as far as I know, I made this one up all by my lonesome after a winter trip to the liquor store.

Thrall_Of_Ao
2007-12-21, 12:54 PM
...Mixing vodka with other things is wrong. I like the good kamikaze, but it's still wrong....
....Cocoa Alcoholic: Shot of vodka, shot of Frangelico, shot of creme de cacao in a double-strength cup of hot chocolate. There might be some official name for it, but as far as I know, I made this one up all by my lonesome after a winter trip to the liquor store.

Winter_Wolf,
Not to nitpick, but I thought you said mixing vodka was "wrong", yet that last little concoction you mentioned (which sounds chocolatey-delicious I might add) has vodka in it.

I personally am a "favorite drink" kind of guy. I'll drink my favorite drink until someone introduces me to something I like more.
I'll probably still like my old favorite, but I'll then drink my new favorite most often.
Kind of like friendship (or dating :smalleek: ), but with a few very important differences:
Only happy warm positive feelings are involved (well, with one exception for myself, but in my book American domestic beer doesn't count). If that's not the case for you (you angry drinker you) then you have no business drinking in the first place. Put the bottle down, talk to a trained professional, work out the issue, then come back.

Let's also not forget that they'll always take you back, love it when you take them home, will always say yes, and don't mind if you share. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, the "favoirite drink" thing only extends to alchohol and liqueur. I also really enjoy the entire mixology experience, so I'm big into mixed drinks, and actively pursue the "holy grail" of the glass as it were.

Beer and wine are in their own categorys and really reserved for what the situation calls for (Guiness draft if in a tavern or such, Tomasello Black Berry Wine if I'm taking it easy, watching a movie, or eating a nice meal).
Which basically means, the favorites in each of my categories don't compete for position, and I'm much more committed to my beer and wine favorites than I am to my current favorite mixed drink of choice.

That being said my top three favoirites are:

3. Grasshopper: Shot of Crem De Cocoa, shot of Crem De Menthe. Yummy.

2. Oatmeal Cookie: Goldschlager and Butterscotch Schnapps then float (very important) Bailys or Khalua on top. Very tasty.

1. Liquid Cocaine: I'm sure there's a bunch of ways to make this but my favorite way is- 151, Peppermint Schnapps, Jagermeister then shaken and poured into chilled glass. A-frikin-mazing.

Now, the first slot is kind of in contention, as I love doing shots of strait Permafrost (100 proof mint Schnapps, with a hint of peppermint), preferably in a chilled shot glass (but out of a flask works fine as well...). Some people think it's gross, but I could care less.

Well, I hope everyone has a fun safe holiday season!
Don't drink and drive and don't let your friends do it either (or your enemies for that matter, they might run into one of your friends),

-TOA

Telonius
2007-12-21, 01:11 PM
So many choices ...

Best vodka: Grey Goose.
Best beer: Dark beer from the Neckarmueller in Tuebingen, Germany. (Local craft brew, never found anything quite like it since).
Best in-its-own-classification drink: Guinness.
Best whiskey: Jim Beam. (Sorry, Jack. It's not you, it's me.)
Best White Wine: Our Dog Blue (Chateau Morrisette, Floyd, VA). Yeah, I know California whites are more complex and all, but the taste is amazing.
Best Red Wine: Octagon (Barboursville Vineyards, Barboursville, VA). A blend of eight wines. Fantastic. Yes, I live in Virginia. :smallbiggrin:
Best mixed drink: The Meltzer.

The Meltzer
1 part vodka
1 part triple sec
4 parts cola
Serve on ice if desired

Ganjuu-kun
2007-12-21, 01:36 PM
truely anything that can get me sloshed. that includes hand sanitizers and listerine, too.

potatocubed
2007-12-21, 03:20 PM
I like mead, but for 'everyday' drinking purposes I go with 'Vodka And'. You know: Vodka And Coke, or Vodka And Orange Juice, or whatever. It's usually OJ with me, because I like fruit juice. Never Vodka and Red Bull, though, because Red Bull tastes like tar would taste if it was made of sugar.

If I'm somewhere a bit upmarket I have amaretto over ice. Yummy.

For special occasions, I like cocktails. My favourite cocktail is the Screaming Orgasm: vodka, amaretto, Bailey's, Kahlua and cream. I also like a drink I know called an Iguana, although I seem to be the only person on the planet who knows how to make one these days.*

Beer makes me hurl, so I avoid it.

* Tall glass. Fill with ice. Add one measure of midori, one of amaretto, two of vodka, then top up with equal amounts of orange juice and lemonade.

nybbler
2007-12-21, 03:30 PM
Hard liquor: Tequila. Cabo Wabo is good, so is Don Julio. I don't like 1800 blanco but the reposado is OK. Villa Blanca is damn good in a margarita, but the only place I've seen it is at Tequila's in Philadelphia. Anything not 100% Blue Agave is not worth drinking (except in an emergency, such as at an airport bar)

Red Wine: Strong cabernet sauv and pinot noirs, usually. Some of the Australian mixes (Cab/Merlot, Shiraz/pretty much anything) are good too. Ravenswood has what the call an "old vine Zinfandel" from Sonoma which is really good too. I've had some good Riojas as well.

White wine: Many New Zealand Sauv Blancs.

Beer: I like a pretty wide variety here.

Winter_Wolf
2007-12-21, 04:58 PM
Heh, Thrall_of_Ao, don't think I wasn't aware of that little bit of irony. I still maintain that mixing vodka is wrong. The Cocoa Alcoholic is no exception. I guess something can be wrong and still be good. Like spandex, under the right conditions. The problem with my cocoa creation is that it's just a little too good, you really can't taste the alcohol, so it's easy to overindulge. It's a rogue/assassin amongst mixed drinks. (You won't see it coming, but it'll really hurt when it hits you.)

Alyosha
2007-12-21, 08:25 PM
My favorite alcohols are Bailey's Irish Cream and Frangelico.

I'm not a beer drinker, but if I start, I think I'd have to begin with a Guiness.

I don't know enough about wine to drink it, but my gf is Italian and she should be able to catch me up on that.

If I want one shot to make me buzzed for a night, I go with Rumplmintz. I think that's how you spell it. It's cold, takes care of a sore throat, bad breath, and relaxes you. How cool is that?