PDA

View Full Version : Adventurers' Guild Headquarters IC

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-10, 09:55 PM
Shiela

"If only you were this astute in all your interpersonal relations, we'd still have free and unlimited beer."

rockdeworld
2008-01-10, 10:01 PM
You ninja'd my edit! I had to edit again to make Kyte say something - I think it worked out ok though. :smalltongue:

"Does that concern you?" Kyte asked wryly, though no emotion leaks through his voice. "I enjoy your company. Also," He turns his head to look at her, lying back on the roof as he is, she is a giant in comparison. "we never finished our conversation. I wanted to ask why you are still here."

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-10, 10:38 PM
Shiela

"Of course it concerns me a bit. Some of my guildmates are heavy drinkers." Shiela replies as she sits heavily next to Kyte.
"As to why I'm here, I need to get out of Bridgeport. Do stuff. I can't help but feel I burden Pa. Hes been so sad and lonely since Mom died. And he hasn't been able to find a new wife with me around, so I'm striking out."

rockdeworld
2008-01-10, 10:43 PM
Kyte turns to look at the sky again. After a few seconds of silence he speaks.

"...and it doesn't seem to you that by joining this guild you are actually staying in Bridgeport?" He goes quiet, but speaks again before Shiela can respond. "No. You must have some other reason for staying here, instead of really leaving. Do you feel guilty about your parents?"

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-11, 12:15 AM
Shiela

"Thats precisely it. I'm not. I have a bae of operations, thats all this is to me. Fuel on the fire of life. Fire needs fuel to burn, right? So, to burn, I came here."
Shiela explains this animatedly, moving her hands in an odd, formless sign language.
"What about you?"

DavidByron
2008-01-11, 01:59 AM
Matthew is looking for Father Eldon.

Continuing with this sub-story (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3745222&postcount=178)

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-11, 06:32 AM
Ulysses finds Bruce in the stable.

Bruce
"Practice grounds? Well, not in the guildhall, we've had quite enough roughhousing in there. And not in the front, you'll scare the neighbors. But anywhere in the back here is fine. As a matter of fact, if you look in that stall there are a couple of wooden quintains for melee practice, and an old archery target you can drag out and set up with some of the hay bales we have here. I'd like to see those things get some use; you can see they're covered in cobwebs.

Matthew finds Father Eldon in the library. Eldon sees Matthew come in and sets aside the parchment he was reading.

Eldon
"Ah, young Matthew. Please, let's not discuss that incident in the Common Room. I'd rather forget it. Now, is there anything else on your mind?"

DavidByron
2008-01-11, 09:27 AM
Matthew talking to Eldon in the library with the candlestick?

Yes sir, the contract says you can supply healing spells for us and such but I was wondering what that entails. I mean just how much trouble can we get into and you'll still have a favorable spell? It could be very important to know that sort of thing out in the field.

For example, could you cure someone who became blind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/removeBlindnessDeafness.htm)? Could you remove a .... let's say someone becomes cursed would you be able to remove a curse?

He's not actually shouting that last bit but I thought some dramatic emphasis was called for. Matthew watches closely to see if Eldon reacts to this.

[roll1]
[roll=Spot]1d20+-2

Remove curse and cure blindness both level 3 clerical spells btw.

rockdeworld
2008-01-11, 09:59 AM
Kyte notes Shiela's hand movements out of the corner of his eye, but says nothing about them.

"When I wanted to leave home, I left." Kyte answers.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-11, 11:01 AM
Yes sir, the contract says you can supply healing spells for us and such but I was wondering what that entails. For example, could you cure someone who became blind? Would you be able to remove a curse?[spoiler]

Eldon is very matter-of-fact in his response, and Matthew detects no signs of surprise or discomfort.

Eldon
"I'm glad to see you're exercising some caution and thinking ahead. Frankly, I can help you with most healing as long as you're still alive. I can remove most curses and physical ailments, and though I'm not the most respected member of the Bridgeport clerical community, I can ask a few favors if one of you has a problem that is beyond my ability to heal. I could not heal Bruce's eye because it was gouged out, and he says it's not worth the expense and trouble to try to find a way to replace it, as long as he still has his other eye."

DavidByron
2008-01-11, 11:27 AM
One of these days I'm going to roll above 5 on a Sense Motive or Spot check!!

I'm glad you don't mind discussing it in detail. You never know when this knowledge will be vital, as gruesome as the conversation might be.

So the healing spells have to be much more powerful if the organ is completely removed or amputated? How about if someone just gets blinded because they are hit in the eye with an arrow or something? You can heal it but, is it still harder to heal up than just a normal wound? I know some of the other guild members can cast simple heal spells to patch us up in the field but would a damaged eye have to wait until we got back to HQ? Is this also why you cannot heal Ana's inability to speak? (Someone said she wasn't born mute) Presumably her tongue is entirely removed as with Bruce's eye? But you say if the funds were available even such wounds might be cured if your church hierarchy were willing to intervene?

Bayar
2008-01-11, 02:29 PM
Jeff

After sleeping all day, Jeff wakes up, but sees almost no one around the guild...so he decides to take a walk in town, meet people, make friends...find some hookers...

The evening is so pleasant...it makes me sing, and dance, and...umm...run naked in the woods...think it is better to just sing...
And he starts singing a song about the woods.

Strolling down the path
Through the forest of Cyver,
I can hear birds singing
And the whispers of a nearby river.

The smell of hazels fills my nose,
The suns rays stroke my head,
I feel overwhelmed by nature,
Just like in that poem I read.
[roll0]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-11, 02:30 PM
You are correct, missing body parts and destroyed organs require more powerful magic than simple muscle and flesh wounds and lost blood. An arrow in the eye is actually quite serious, and you would need a more experienced cleric than myself to restore sight to that eye, though I could close the wound and stop the bleeding just as any novice cleric can. I don't know who has been talking to you about Ana, but hers is a unique case. She is not missing her tongue, and yes, she has not always been mute. But surely you must think better of us than to suppose we are just uncaring about her affliction. Trust me, as tragic as it is, Ana's muteness is for her own good and the good of many. Other than that, I must insist that you stifle your curiosity and make yourself mute in this matter, for the sake of Ana's safety.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-11, 02:43 PM
OOC> and not even a Bluff check to help me out, here

Shiela

"You don't strike me as the type. There must have been some catalyst - what was it?"

rockdeworld
2008-01-11, 03:03 PM
[OOC: 'Cause he's telling the truth.]

"..." Kyte's silence extends beyond a few seconds this time. Knowing Shiela's eyes are on him, and that she won't leave until he answers her, he speaks.

"I'd rather not talk about it." He says shortly.

DavidByron
2008-01-11, 03:23 PM
Eldon:
I don't know who has been talking to you about Ana, but...
Trust me, as tragic as it is, Ana's muteness is for her own good and the good of many.

Are you saying that Ana chose to be in this condition willingly? As for who mentioned all this. The other day an elderly halfling lady came in who seemed to know Ana and she was telling people's fortunes. When she read Ana she saw a vision of her singing in a garden. I didn't get the impression this was a vision of the past. If what you say is true and her vision was accurate, then whatever condition has been laid upon Ana may be coming to an end.

This woman, Linda, didn't want to say anything about the cause of Ana's injury but she was pretty angry about it. And I'm pretty unhappy about this too from what you've said. I'd be happy to drop this matter if I felt that Ana was the willing beneficiary of whatever this is about... but I can't ask her now can I?

Matthew gets a little emotional:
You know I had a sister who was taken away when she wasn't much younger than Ana is now, by some of you religious nuts. Ana even looks the same as her a bit. And they said the same stuff as you about how it was all a big honor for her and how it would benefit everyone. Oh they had very important religious work for her to do.

I never saw her again. But for the rest of my life, I'll remember that look on her face as they took her away.

Perhaps that's nothing to you, but I'll need more than "trust me" this time around.

Since we're in the library it's possible the SPAM meeting might interrupt the conversation.
[hr]
This story about a sister is actually true and was something I had decided on along time ago. Just to fill you in Matthew's dad was a bit of a "religious nut" as he says and this thing with his sister was just one episode -- though probably the worst. Matthew's dad went through a lot of religions. As a result Matthew is often quite negative about religion, and at the same time also sometimes fascinated by it. Anyway the last time his dad got in with some new cult he left and hasn't been seen since, which was no great loss.
[hr]
Matthew last mentioned his dad here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3683488&postcount=24)

Well that's a symbol I can recognise at last. The cross of Saint Cuthbert. My father was a convert.
This was a sort of joke. The cleric is supposed to reply saying, "Oh I am sorry - 'was' a convert? You're father is dead?" to which Matthew says, "No; he just switched to some other religion."
[hr]
Matthew's sister isn't dead btw. She's basically a sort of nun.
That was all years ago.
[hr]
Although the story is true, it's also the sort of thing Matthew might make up to deceive someone. However he knows he's not a good actor / good at bluffing so his delivery of such a lie would not use this sort of medium.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-11, 04:31 PM
Eldon flushes slightly and he leans forward on the table, raising his diminutive frame slightly on his elbows.

Eldon
"I don't know anything about this fortune-teller's visions, but let me spell this out for you, young man. Does Ana want to be mute? No. Is anyone in this town happy about her condition? No! But if she should speak, or if the reason she must not speak should become public knowledge, it could very well cause her death, and worse. And in the future, if you wish to keep good standing with your elders, I would advise you to keep a respectful tone in your voice."

Bayar
2008-01-11, 04:41 PM
Jeff
Arriving at the docks, Jeff walks down a pier, and sits down at the end of it.
Ah, I wish something interesting happened...something truly unusual...something that could change my life.He gases at the seagulls, at the ships that are either entering or leaving the harbour, and at the waves the water makes.
I wonder...there should be a tavern near the docks, where scurby seadogs get drunk...those are always good for some kicks.
And with that, he hacks back down the pier, and starts searching for the dock tavern.

souldoubt
2008-01-11, 06:20 PM
"I've never been much for archery," Ulysses confesses to Bruce, thinking of his under-used crossbow. "But I suppose I could give the archery targets a bit of an airing out before I move on to sword practice." At least it might provide some diversion. With that in mind, Ulysses sets out to find the practice targets.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-12, 05:26 AM
Jeff pauses outside one of the nicer building in the docks region. A wooden sign hangs over the door, reading "Jasmine & Clove" in decorative script, bordered by woodburnings of the two plants. Although it is still early evening, Jeff can hear loud music and synchronized claspping, punctuated by boisterous cheers and shrill whistles. A scrap of paper tacked to the front door reads:

Thys week only: Kata & The Lost Hope. Performences evry day at sundown.

Anyone else interested in this, feel free to mosey up and join Jeff.

Bayar
2008-01-12, 10:17 AM
Jeff

Well, that is convenient.Jeff enters the tavern, and waits for the show to start.

ubersquid
2008-01-12, 12:33 PM
Berwin goes outside to climb on the roof of the guildhouse. When he sees Kyte and Shiela sitting there, he just says: "Oh, I didn't know there where other people here who enjoy the night as much as I do."

Then, when he is about to swing himself on the rooftop, he suddenly freezes and stares at them. After a few moments, Berwin finally snaps out again and continues in an embarrassed tone and makes notions to climb down again. "I... I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you two, I'll be going again and leave you to it."

strongoak
2008-01-12, 03:41 PM
Gylvin, Elven Wizard

Gylvin is exploring the sights in Bridgeport (at least he's trying to convince himeself that there are really sights to see) when he sees Jeff going into a tavern.

Gylvin says to himself: "This may be a good chance to get to know one of my team members"

Gylvin enters the tavern a few moments behind Jeff and greets him quietly. "Hello Jeff. Mind if I join you for a drink?

Bayar
2008-01-12, 05:06 PM
Jeff, CN Human Ranger

Ah, Gylvin! I see you have refined astes as well. Sure! Lets have a pint! And enjoy the show...hopefully...Jeff seems glad he has some familiar face around, but kinda doubts that the show will be any good...

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-12, 05:35 PM
Inside the Jasmine & Clove there is a good crowd. The room smells of pipe smoke and sweat, but with subtle hints of more exotic scents. The tables - and crowd - are pressed up against the wall to leave free space in the center of the room. Five men playing an assortment of exotic-looking musical instruments sit on the floor, and as the crowd claps in time, a young woman demurely walks to the center, where she stops, standing with one leg to the side and her hands on her hips. The six strangers are of small stature for humans; they might be thought half-elven were it not for their brown skin and round ears. The woman is exotically beautiful, her nose, cheekbones, and jaw prominent yet still delicate. She is barefoot (the floor has been carefully swept), and wears a modest, loose-fitting orange dress, and a large assortment of inexpensive jewelry, bangles, and bells. Her waist-length braid of black hair has fresh spring flowers woven into it. The musicians, wearing simple tunics and breeches, stop playing, and the crowd grows quiet as the woman stands perfectly still. Then one of the performers starts a drum roll, his hands playing a pair of small, asymmetric drums placed between his feet. Suddenly the other musicians join in, and the woman starts to sway to the music. After a few measures she begins to sing. The music is full of energy, and as she starts to shimmy her hips a bit the crowd starts to cheer her on, but even though the language is unknown to any but the six strangers, there is something about the song that seems to match the melancholic name of the group - The Lost Hope. As the song progresses it becomes more instrumental, allowing the woman to weave more energetic dancing in with her beautiful, haunting vocals. By the end of the song, she is almost leaping around the room as she strides and pirhouettes with amazing power and grace, her long braid whipping around her almost like a partner in her dance. A final crescendo, and the music stops, the woman frozen in a pose with her feet and one hand supporting her as she arches her lithe body backwards, her other hand gesturing to the imagined sky beyond the roof of the tavern. The crowd roars in applause - this kind of talent is rarely seen by the common people. A few out-of-towners reach for their purses to throw some coppers, but are reminded by the locals that customarily the tavern-owner pays performers himself, and that he would prefer they save their coppers to buy drinks. The performers take a break to sit at one of the tables and eat, drink, and talk in their mysterious language.

My apologies, gang, this will be the only post for the next eight hours at least. The internet is running exceptionally slow here for some reason. But here's a little multimedia treat for you - what Kata's song might sound a little like: http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B00006YXCC001006/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_006

DavidByron
2008-01-12, 06:31 PM
Well I was waiting for some S.P.A.M. to terminate the conversation in the library but I guess it just ended anyway so on with something else while I'm waiting!

Matthew wanders out to the back yard and finds Ulysses setting up some archery targets.

I could do with some practice with the crossbow. It's been a while. Or perhaps dagger throwing. What are you using there?

souldoubt
2008-01-12, 07:14 PM
Ulysses looks up from setting up the targets as Matthew appears.

"I've got my crossbow here..." he picks it up from where it's laying on the grass. "But I've a dagger as well, so we could do either one. Would you care for a friendly competition? I could use the company. I'd go easy on you, of course, since I know combat's not a wizards forte."

Doh! I was gonna have Ulysses get bored and wander down to the Jasmine & Clove, but since Matthew showed up, I'm sure he'd stay. He's been on the road awhile and I feel that high Cha characters like Ulysses would be extroverts and probably seek human (or demihuman :smallwink: ) interaction more than most, even if unconsciously. But like I said, he'll stick around, since this way he gets that interaction he's unconsciously craving.

DavidByron
2008-01-12, 07:40 PM
Crossbow it is then. How about 100 feet... if there is enough space. I didn't think shooting stuff was a knight's forte either.... you guys are more into hitting stuff I thought? I'm a fair shot, but it's more natural talent and luck than practice. Some Wizards train for shooting because some of their spells are like missiles. But not me. Still a crossbow is easy enough to use. Point and pull the trigger...

Let me get an off-the-hip practice shot off....

[roll0]

Matthew's shot just misses the target, an easy shot to make at this range.
Sigh. Yeah, a little rusty.

EDITED to correct my arithmetic.
[hr]
Rules for shooting stationary objects. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/exploration.htm#armorClass)
Let's assume a 3' target.
AC is 10 -5 (for 0 Dex) -2 (for being an object) +1 (for small size) = 4.

Inner target sizes shall we say, are
tiny, AC 5
diminutive, AC 7
fine, AC 11

Light crossbow range is 80 feet so -2 for range applies to the to hit. (I forgot to apply this to Matthew's practice shot so he really should have rolled a "2" there, not a "4").

Against a non-moving target you get +5 to hit if you take a full round action to aim instead of shooting normally.

Yes I think we're going to want to make it harder to hit. eg, by making the target swing about (which might remove the -5 penalty to AC due to no dex) and/or by having some "cover" like another swinging target in front of it for another -4 to hit.

Any other problems with my figures please post to the OOC :smallsmile:

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-12, 09:39 PM
Zan had followed Matthew pretty much everywhere in the hopes of maybe getting to fill up his flask, but it seems that after some adventuring, it was still empty. He stood beside his companions and watched some archery, brooding a bit. ... But only a little.

souldoubt
2008-01-12, 10:20 PM
"Well, while I've never been much of an archer myself, it is a favorite pastime and sporting event in Colos. Let me explain how we rule these things in the fiefs...."

(OOC explanation)
Actually, there are rules for archery contests on page 132 of the Complete Warrior. Here's a simple explanation of those -

Outer circle (tiny): AC 7, 1 point
Inner circle (dim.): AC 9, 2 points
Bull's eye (fine): AC 13, 4 points

Obviously, you total up the points to determine who wins the match. Each archer gets 5 arrows, but we can do more if you want. Ulysses will take a -2 penalty on his shots since he's deliberately "going easy" on Matthew -- which may mean he's understimating his opponent, but I guess he'll find that out soon enough. Nevermind, I forgot to factor in distance, so with just the -2 to hit (for a total modifier of 0) I guess Ulysses is playing this one straight.
"We'll call your first shot 'practice' -- I'll start since you picked the weapon of choice."

He fires at the target.
[roll0]
Ulysses's arrow misses, just as Matthew's did. He sighs and shakes his head, a wry smile sneaking onto his face. "I guess you're not the only one who's gotten rusty, Master Estella."

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-12, 11:46 PM
Shiela

The snapping of crossbow bolts grabs Shiela's attention.
"I'm sorry you're not willing to share more about your background. We're guildmates. I trust you - even though you tried to jack the mage's spellbook. You can trust me."

When Ulysees fires his shot, Shiela shakes her head.
"You hear that?"

Yes, I know I'm abritarily hearing the crossbow contest. DC for a "pitched battle" is Zero, it shouldn't be too hard to her a bunch of crossbow fire.

DavidByron
2008-01-13, 01:20 AM
Ulysses explains his rules.

That sound good to me. Why don't we call that a practice shot for you too? Matthew fires off five shots, alternating with Ulysses.

With a -2 to hit for the long range, trying to hit AC 13, 9 or 7.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Hmph. Nine points.

Noticing Zan:
Hey there Zan. Do you shoot?

Bayar
2008-01-13, 04:12 AM
Jeff, CN Human Ranger

As the performers end their act, Jeff joins the crown in applauding them.Then, he tells Gylvin: I was hoping for a decent act, but sometimes you get more than what you expected AND a bonus.Also, I would like to talk to you about a small favor, since you are a smart fellow, and an elf...

rockdeworld
2008-01-13, 04:31 PM
Kyte perks up at the noise - his mind is eager for a distraction from the dangerous course the conversation had been taking. Nodding in response to Shiela's question, he stands up and walks to the edge of the roof, onlooking the makeshift archery range. Noticing the activity going on beneath, Kyte sees an opportunity to both practice archery and stay away from this conversation. He turns to look back at Sheila.

"Perhaps we should join." Kyte says to her. Then he turns back and jumps off the roof, landing between Ulysses and Matthew.

Assuming the guild is 2 stories high (which is true, from the given info), It's ~20 ft from ground to roof.
[roll0]
If I make the check, ignore the first roll, else the first is nonlethal and the second is lethal.
[roll1]
[roll2]

Oh yes, I live dangerously :smallamused:

Edit: 4 nonlethal damage. *phew*

Kyte stands up, drawing his bow out as he does so.

"Mind if I join in?" He asks the group of three.

souldoubt
2008-01-13, 05:05 PM
Ulysses fires off his five shots.

-2 for distance, trying to hit AC 13, 9, or 7.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
"Twelve points," he says. Then someone drops off the roof and lands next to him, making him start.

Recognizing the rabble rouser from earlier, he eyes him warily. "You may join us if you like. As the winner of this match, I suppose by custom I must take next challenger. Though... truth to be told, if you're looking for a challenge, archery is not my strength."

strongoak
2008-01-13, 06:11 PM
Jeff, CN Human Ranger

As the performers end their act, Jeff joins the crown in applauding them.Then, he tells Gylvin: I was hoping for a decent act, but sometimes you get more than what you expected AND a bonus.Also, I would like to talk to you about a small favor, since you are a smart fellow, and an elf...

Gylvin

Gylvin applauds with the rest of the crowd. He turns to Jeff and says "I'm always willing to listen to a friend and comrade. What would you like my help with?

Sense Motive Check: [roll0]

DavidByron
2008-01-13, 06:27 PM
To Ulysses:
Perhaps he is looking to challenge us to a game of jumping off the roof?

I would guess that the guild house might have more rooms than has been specified so far, possibly including a small loft / third floor (originally for servants?) in addition to the basement would make 4 floors. The guild house is what used to be a wealthy town house close to the town center and a high rent district where building vertically was probably quite normal and tall ceilings and grand rooms but a relatively small garden quite likely. OTOH there are likely parts of the roof that are lower than others.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/AdvGuild/guildhouse1.jpg

The feel is quite like my parents house which was built around the 1890s in a sort of imitation mock Tudor style with about 15 foot between floors, three floors, "small" garden surrounding the house because it's in the center of town. The roof is a mess of different sections covering different levels and chimney stacks - about 5 I think. The rooms are large but there would be more than so far mentioned.

So far there has only been one big sleeping room described it's quite likely there might be more rooms, perhaps also used to house adventurers either on the same floor or in the loft. After all the girls ought to have separate sleeping quarters don't ya think?
Matthew goes to retrieve some of the spent bolts.
We could really do with something to simulate a fight better. The target needs to be moving around. And the hard part isn't so much hitting the target as avoiding hitting your friends. We need a "friendly guy" in front of the target partially.

To Kyte:
You seem to be a thrill seeker. Perhaps after taking your five shots you could stand in front of the target as we shoot around you?

Uh... but no hard feelings about that thing the other day, right?
Would Matthew be the type to hold a grudge?

rockdeworld
2008-01-13, 08:51 PM
Actually, I think that was more like "earlier the same day"
Kyte regards Matthew stoically, then knocks an arrow.

"Since you're already there, why don't you go first?" He calls out in a voice ((possibly)) terrifyingly devoid of emotion, taking careful aim.

DavidByron
2008-01-13, 09:08 PM
Matthew walks towards Kyte...

Well I am sure I can provide you a far more realistic target, but when it is my turn what do I shoot at?

rockdeworld
2008-01-13, 09:27 PM
"You make this difficult..." Kyte replies, his monotone voice inconsistent with the tenseness of his arms holding the bow, and the narrowness of his eyes as he concentrates on the target. "Watch yourself." He says, releasing the arrow.

Attack modifiers (fixed):
+5 (not +6) for taking a full round to aim
-2 for long range
-4 for shooting around Matthew
+3 ranged attack bonus
[roll0] (subtract 1 from that for my mistaken math - 18 is still a bullseye though)

The arrow flies past Matthew, breezing his face, and strikes true the center of the archery target, quivering in the bullseye.

Kyte lets his arms fall to his side. "You shouldn't walk towards someone when they shoot." He says calmly to Matthew.

I like the titles to your posts. "Matthew, Kyte acting badass with each other!" - awesome

ubersquid
2008-01-13, 09:29 PM
Berwin raises an eyebrow as Kyte and Sheila walk past him without a reply, then shakes his head, sits down on the roof and stares into the sky.

souldoubt
2008-01-13, 09:41 PM
Ulysses grimaces, his hand going to the ever-present swordhilt at his shoulder. This one's a troublemaker, that much is clear.

"I don't suggest you try that kind of stunt again," he says, his tone steely. "We don't want any bloodshed between guildmates here."

What's this about a +6 bonus for aiming for a full round? If I'd known we were using that, then our scores would have figured a bit differently.

Thymin
2008-01-13, 09:49 PM
Dravick:

After giving a personalized tour of the town, Dravick notices that there will be a special performance at the Jasmine & Clove, and decides to go and check it out. He seems to have showed up a bit after the performance had begun but he enjoyed the climax of the first performance before he noticed the two others from the guild sitting at a table together. He approached them and took a seat. "Gentlemen. It's a pleasant coincidence to see familiar faces this far from the guild hall. I hope you don't mind if I sit here." Dravick smiles brightly, and orders an ale from a passing waitress.

Bardic Knowledge Check to see if he can place the origin of the performers - [roll0]

DavidByron
2008-01-13, 09:50 PM
Thanks. I figure the HQ thread is getting a little all over the place so instead of just who is doing the acting I thought I'd put a brief scene description in there too.
Matthew turns a little pale and then a little flushed. He continues to walk until he reaches Kyte and Ulysses. I guess if I can't stand the heat ..... in a real combat situation it's going to get worse.

Normally I'd be the one shooting past someone fighting in the front rank. I fight in a strictly support role. However I said, I'd provide you a more realistic target, not a more realistic obstacle. Allow me to demonstrate.....

Matthew casts Silent Image (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/silentImage.htm) creating an image of a fight scene just in front of the original target about 100 feet away. An ogre and three goblins are fighting two humans. The ogre and the three goblins have a red target on them as if painted on. One of the humans looks like Kyte and the other looks like Matthew.

Not sure how to assess the AC to hit the illusions. How about this:

The rules suggest an AC of 10+size modifier for the illusions which would be AC 9 for the ogre and AC 11 for the goblins. That's regardless of what armor they are pretending to wear.

Against some of the targets there's a -4 for cover (from the friendly fighters), against some there is a -4 for shooting into combat (unless you have the feat that allows you to ignore that), -2 for range. Hitting the target which is painted on the illusionary monsters would presumably be AC 18, 14 or 12 for the bull and outer rings respectively (5 points higher because they are moving about).

The bonus for taking a full round to shoot is +5 (not +6?) and applies only to shooting at stationary objects.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-13, 09:53 PM
Zan only closed his eyes as he had to listen to Kyte talk.

"I don't shoot, Matthew, but if Kyte'll let himself be the target, I'll take up archery."

rockdeworld
2008-01-13, 10:04 PM
You can almost see the sparks fly... Kyte is dead to regular emotions, though, so it's like trying to create sparks with a piece of rubber - the metal piece heats up and the rubber gets burned. (forshadowing? o_O - wait, I seem to remember a color spray... :smallbiggrin:)

About the +6 (or +5 actually, I corrected my last post after re-reading DB's first one on archery practice), Kyte visibly took time to aim (6 seconds makes a round), when I said 'Kyte aims' and then there was a bit of dialogue, and then 'Kyte releases.' If you guys wanted to do that, it's your choice - like I said, adventurers are supposedly already trained in this kind of thing.

"Of course we don't want bloodshed between guildmates..." Kyte replies to Ulysses. "I just want to practice my shooting, like you." Kyte inspects the magic from afar, and when he hears nothing, deduces that it must be an illusion.

"It's hard to hit an illusion." Kyte says. "Perhaps you can put one of the targets in front of the practice target, and have our illusionary allies in front of them - that would be more realistic." He turns to Zan. "I don't feel like joining them."

DavidByron
2008-01-13, 10:18 PM
Hmph.
It's one thing to know it's a figment, another to be able to see through it.

DC is Will 15 again with a +4 because you know it's an illusion.
Can you see through it, master thief?

It's a common mistake to think that you can see through a figment merely by believing it is an illusion. You might as well stare at your reflection in a mirror and try to believe that away. It's not a question of mind, but of your eyes.

Even undead are effected by figments - in 3.5 rules. yay!
In fact the more mindless and stupid the less likely they are to see through this type of illusion.
I think you can use this as target practise well enough.

Meanwhile in the illusion fight the "Kyte" figure is having a hard time, while the "Matthew" figure is fighting like a demon, repeatedly getting hits against the ogre.

souldoubt
2008-01-13, 10:56 PM
Ulysses blinks as the illusion appears. "No... I think this is plenty realistic enough."

He takes aim at the ogre.

Trying to hit 18, 14 or 12?? (Not sure where you're getting these numbers, but I'm game for whatever. And wouldn't it be a -10 penalty? -4 from firing into melee, -4 from cover, -2 from range. (Realistically, and in game mechanics, two humans couldn't possibly provide cover for two goblins and an ogre together, but I'm going to assume that the part of the ogre with the target on it has cover relative to Ulysses.))

-10 from what I mentioned above
+2 ranged AB
[roll0]
The shot whizzes through the phantasmal ogre's shoulder, missing the outer circle of the target.

"I think this may be a bit beyond my skill," Ulysses confides, lowering his crossbow. "This is the sort of challenge I'd much rather confront with the sharp edge of my sword."

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-14, 12:17 AM
Shiela

Instead of Jumping, Shiela does the senseible thing and walks down the stair towards the contest, here, apparently there is a silent battle taking place. Its rather odd that its taking place with no noise, especially with an ogre, three goblins, a mage and a ... Kyte.
Even odder is the mage and Kyte seemed to be belittling each other.
"And here I was thinking I had an archery contest ahead of me." She comments wryly as she arrives.
"Good eve, Sir Ulyssees"

DavidByron
2008-01-14, 12:35 AM
In response to Sheila's comment Matthew turns a little red. I guess I'm acting a bit silly.... and this weirdo doesn't seem to react anyway. I wonder how you push his buttons....

The figures of Kyte and Matthew go back to fighting "normally" instead of "Kyte" doing badly and "Matthew" fighting like a super hero.

Hey Sheila.

If anyone makes the DC 15 Will save with +4 they should be able to "flip" back and forth between "seeing" the illusion and not seeing it. Like one of those pictures that could be a vase or two faces looking at each other.

If anyone puts a hand through the illusion they automatically "see" through it, no save needed, but at a distance of 100 feet it can be hard to reach that amount of interaction.
To Ulysses, in response to "plenty realistic":
Thank you.
Although the real test is how it looks up close.

And then:
Yes if you can't angle to get a clear shot it's very hard once combat starts. I'm lucky my team has a few other shorter guys in it. As for melee.... well you can try a few swings against the illusions if you like, and I'll do my best, but it won't be very satisfying because they have no substance to push against or deflect a blow - so it will be too easy to hit them.

Have you ever fought a real ogre? Quite terrifying I would imagine. What sort of tactics would you suggest?

rockdeworld
2008-01-14, 02:00 AM
If this is a double post, it's because the first one is invisible - I can't find it, although the board says I posted. Take this one instead.

"If it's a regular ogre, and it's alone, flank it and kill it quickly." Kyte speaks aloud, breaking his momentary stoicism. His bow arm hangs down at his side, but rather than look at any of the others around him, he stares at the silent image of figures battling the ogre, as though watching a real battle. "If it's anything else, run. Ogres are too strong for weak or foolhardy adventurers to take on, especially alone. Their lack of intelligence is your only advantage."

Bayar
2008-01-14, 03:25 AM
Jeff

Well...I always wanted to learn to speak the elven language...it is melodious, not like the dwarven one...most of the guildmates know at least two languages, and I dont want to look stupid just because I speak only common. Plus, it could be handy if we ran into some elves in the forest...Noticing Dravick, Jeff quickly tells Gylvin:Dont tell him anything I told you.Then to Dravick:Well...I dont think it is THAT far, i mean, we still are in the same city...so, came to see the show?

souldoubt
2008-01-14, 05:41 PM
Ulysses bows in greeting to Shiela. "The gods give you good even', Miss Taylor. You're welcome to join us, of course." He glances at the phantasmal combat, and lets slip a hint of a smirk. "That is, if we can reach some agreement on what it is we're doing."

Have you ever fought a real ogre? Quite terrifying I would imagine. What sort of tactics would you suggest?

Studying the illusionary ogre, he considers Matthew's question as he watches it move in the silent mock battle.

"If I had to take one on alone... I'd go for the belly. With a creature that size, none of it's other vital spots are within easy reach, even with a hand-and-a-half blade" -- he pats the hilt of his sword -- "Of course, I'd have to get in under the brute's guard first, even to get at its underbelly. If that proved impossible, I might resort to going for the legs -- the back of the ankle or the calf -- to hamstring it." Ulysses doesn't look too keen at this prospect however. "A bit... ignoble though. I'd much prefer a clean fight."

DavidByron
2008-01-14, 06:14 PM
Ignoble, eh? You'd really hate my suggestion then. Speaking from my own limited experience of being over ten foot tall... well you can scare people, and you have the feeling you could just reach down and pluck someone up into the air, but at the same time it's hard to move about easily especially indoors. Big and clumsy.

I think I would try to shoot the ogre from a distance and lure it through a narrow doorway or into thick bushes where it has to crouch or watch its footing.... but if you like I can show you better tomorrow. I have a spell that will double your height. Or perhaps Shiela, would you like to be ten foot tall for a short while? You and Ulysses could practice sparring a little.

At any rate I think I need to get some sleep soon if I am to get enough rest to re-learn spells for tomorrow.
Unless someone wants to talk to Matthew more or do something with the illusions before they go pop, he's headed off to bed. If there are no objections I'd like to advance to the next day more-or-less.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-14, 09:38 PM
Zan's eyes returned to Kyte every so often.

He's like them. He doesn't show any emotion, he does what he wants. He thinks that he can do as he pleases around here, and to make matters worse, he doesn't even react to the repremanding. I don't care what little shady past he's been through... he's no better than the scum who took Father.

strongoak
2008-01-15, 07:59 AM
Dravick:

"Gentlemen. It's a pleasant coincidence to see familiar faces this far from the guild hall. I hope you don't mind if I sit here." Dravick smiles brightly, and orders an ale from a passing waitress.

Gylvin

"Hello. We haven't really met yet but I'm assuming you're Davrick. I'm Gylvin. Welcome and have a seat. Are you thinking of providing a second act tonight? I hear you're pretty good with a story.

Does anyone want to toss dice to see who buys the next round?"

If Jeff or Davrick wish to roll for next round, make 2 separate d6 rolls w/ no adders. Lowest roll on first die has to buy the next round. If there is a tie, use the second roll. If still a tie then the bottom two are stuck each buying a round.

First roll: [roll0]
Second roll: [roll1]

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-15, 09:01 AM
Shiela

The Red-head looks over the illusion-ogre quickly.
"If I'm solo, I'd take advantage. I'm short, its not. Shield high, blade in the belly, mess up its intestines. soon as I get completely underneath, push up, throw its balance off, send it to the deck, then tear its belly open like a wolf. I'd take care of the goblins first, though, that would complicate the situation. If I got a partner, provide a distraction. One of us lets the other get the telling blow in, or have my partner go after the goblins while I work on the ogre, assuming I was the mroe skilled at single combat, of course." she rattled off in a quick, near thoughtless manner.

She the looked at Ulysses. "Its rare to hear someone call a bastard sword a hand-and-a-half. Is the word 'bastard' touchy around you?"

OOC>
Yes, I'm intentionally prodding his backstory

Zyks
2008-01-15, 11:20 AM
Valx

"Well if its ogres, I'd personally just hit it till it falls over, then go for the throat. A cleric on hand for some boosters and healing would help.

rockdeworld
2008-01-15, 01:37 PM
While the others talk, Kyte lifts his bow and begins shooting into the melee, testing his aim with each shot.

-2 for long range
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Bayar
2008-01-15, 03:25 PM
Jeff

You let the dice decide who buys the drinks Gylvin? Reminds me of the time I played bones to see the order to the bathroom...since there was only one...and doing your business in a city is kinda hard...lots of guards...damn paladins...not letting mercenaries to wee at a tree... . Anyway, want to give a performance tonight Dravick?I look forward to it...Jeff pauses for a moment.So, will you help me sharpen my sword Gylvin?

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-15, 04:16 PM
Bruce (calling out of the stable to those in the back yard of the Guildhall):
There are some old horse blankets in here if you want to use them to wrap your weapons and practice on each other. Just don't get hurt; Eldon doesn't have unlimited spells, you know.

souldoubt
2008-01-15, 05:15 PM
"Its rare to hear someone call a bastard sword a hand-and-a-half. Is the word 'bastard' touchy around you?"

Ulysses shoots Shiela an unreadable look. "If you are deliberately trying to provoke me, Miss Tailor, by all means, continue." His voice barely smooths over an icy anger as he adds in a lower tone, "I did know my father, if that's what you're wondering."

If for some reason someone has a desire to listen in on Ulysses and Shiela's conversation, that last part about knowing his father was said in a low enough voice to warrant a Listen check, methinks. Let's say... 15 DC to be a nosy eavesdropper and make overhear what he said.

DavidByron
2008-01-15, 05:21 PM
Let's see, DC 15 with say -20 for being asleep and another -20 for being inside the house up the stairs round the corner and behind the door.
[roll0]

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-15, 05:28 PM
Shiela
"Provoke you? I think not. Its just useful to know things about one's guildmates, don't you think? Consider yourself lucky, anyway. I never knew my mother." Shiela responds in a defensive manner. She, however speaks plainly and does not whisper back.

rockdeworld
2008-01-15, 07:15 PM
Actually, you only take -10 for being asleep :smalltongue:
[roll0]

Kyte says nothing about the conversation, merely taking the time to shoot a few more practice shots.

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

souldoubt
2008-01-15, 10:13 PM
Ulysses's surprise does not show on the stony surface of his face, but his gaze sharpens, then goes distant. After a moment, he replies, and the hard edge is completely gone from his voice. "I'm... sorry to hear that. I never knew my mother either. She... died in childbirth."

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-15, 10:25 PM
Shiela

"Then we're in the same boat." Shiela responds off-handidly, extending her right hand as if to shake on it and make up for her unintentional insult.
"I'm sorry for the (unintentional) insult. Please, allow me to make it up to you by giving those horse blankets a go. You seem like a man who likes to spar."

DavidByron
2008-01-15, 11:57 PM
It's likely that SPAM posts are going to be a regular feature in the HQ thread and are going to have to cut across whatever else might be going on and be posted "out of order". So I suggest labeling the SPAM posts and we'll assume it's a flashback to a meeting or series of meetings that already took place in the library.

Some of the meetings might be designated as "wizards only" -- probably just to make other people think something very important is going on. These would be separate meetings. If it's not labeled "wizards only" figure anyone can wander in without causing upset.

If you're replying to some SPAM and non-SPAM posts are in between it might be good to quote part of what you are responding to.

Matthew is arranging some papers on the library table.
Oh hey! You're early. Welcome to the inaugural meeting of the Society for the Perfection of Arcane Methodology. This thing is mostly Gylvin's idea and he isn't here yet but we have a preliminary agenda for tonight worked out if you want to look at it. It's all a bit informal at the moment.

Society for the Perfection of Arcane Methodology

1. Discussion of integrating magic into combat or general exploration. This would be open to any guild member as we would be discussing situations where magic use needs to be coordinated with team tactics.

2. Covering our knowledge base. Wizards are usually expected to know academic stuff. What areas of expertise need to be better covered as a guild? What do we need to study more?

3. Expenses / finance Everyone benefits from having competent wizards with eg scrolls or researched spells, so we shouldn't have to pay all the costs. How should the costs be divided up?

4. Wizard-less teams. How to help out the team/s with no wizards. And how do those teams pay into the system?

5. Any other business.

Agenda - wizards only.
6. Selection of SPAM officers, charter.

7. Sharing of spell information

8. Spell Research.

9. Security

10. Crafting items

Thymin
2008-01-16, 12:18 AM
Gylvin

"Hello. We haven't really met yet but I'm assuming you're Davrick. I'm Gylvin. Welcome and have a seat. Are you thinking of providing a second act tonight? I hear you're pretty good with a story.

Does anyone want to toss dice to see who buys the next round?"

"Well met Gylvin. You are right my name is Dravick." He pronounces his name slowly and with a short 'a' but not so slowly as to be offensive. He continues, "As far as performing tonight, I am afraid that I will not be. I do appreciate your praise and that of whomever passed it along to you, but I feel that to try to follow that act would be professional suicide for a man of my profession. Besides, I have given up performing for a wage, and have joined the Adventurer's Guild of Bridgeport. Here's to my new friends and the next round." With that he lifts his mug and takes a hearty draught, and then tosses the dice to see who will be paying for the next round.

[roll0]
[roll1]

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-16, 10:41 AM
Zan listens carefully to Bruce's offer of wrapping up weapons. It would be a bit tricky to fasten to his scythe, but he wouldn't mind maybe a little... a workout at the slightest. Yet...

"I was wondering if maybe I could... uh, em... If anybody needs healing or something, so maybe I could get myself back into the flow of things. You know, so I can heal easier when I need to?"

Bayar
2008-01-16, 11:10 AM
Jeff

Oh, nickers...seems that I buy you all a round of beer...

souldoubt
2008-01-16, 12:27 PM
Ulysses's eyes refocus on Shiela. He gives her a nod, but doesn't shake her hand.

"Aye. I'm always ready to practice a bit of swordplay."

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-16, 01:08 PM
Zan, looking around for someone to practice healing on, walks in front of the stable just as Bruce walks out carrying a quintain. The wooden arm of the quintain and Zan's nose collide with such force that Zan stumbles back a few steps, his nose bleeding steadily.

Zan suffers 1 hp of damage. Physician, heal thyself!

Back at the Jasmine & Clove, Dravick racks his brains trying to think of any knowledge that may clue him in to the origin of the musicians. The only thing he can think of is that their language sounds similar to an unknown language in a snatch of song he heard once from another bard, who said he had learned it from a trapper returning from the far west.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-16, 05:25 PM
Shiela

The red-head disappears for a few minuetes., and returns with four horse blankets and her shield, wearing her scale mail.. After presenting two blankets to Ulysees, she proceeds to wrap her scimitar with one and pad the spikes on her shield with the other.

When she finishes, she waits for Uylsses to follow suit.

DavidByron
2008-01-16, 08:24 PM
Fine I am unilaterally declaring a new day so I get my spells back. Ha. I guess it doesn't really matter except I didn't want anyone saying I was unfairly casting spells left and right without memorising them. For this day I'll be memorising as 1st level spells ... blank slots which can be filled in with 15 minutes notice. Keep my options open.

Morning. Matthew is up and about and looking to go around town a bit to get some new clothes and check out the library. Althea might be interested in coming since she was interested in exploring town. Also if I see Sheila before we set off I'll ask her if she can recommend a good tailor....

Good morning Ana. What's for breakfast?

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-16, 08:59 PM
((Assuming this is the day after the ale incident, and whatnot. Also, yay for actually having her get a chance to draw!))

It was surprising how quickly time could pass. Althea had ended up working and drawing for a good portion of the day, her attention mostly focused on the piece before her. It was merely the common room from the corner she sat in. It was a bit tough to keep the ink she used from spilling, but the end result pleased the girl enough. She hadn't been able to find anything but some of the ink that the wizards seemed to hoard.

She stretched her stiff limbs, yawning slightly. She had been up for a while now, almost before sunrise. She had managed to wash off some of the ale smell at least, though she was still dressed in her armor. The air was considerably warmer from where she had come from, and she was just wearing the more protective parts of the armor. It felt weird to have her arms a bit more exposed, but she was more then covered.

Her stomach growled as the short wizard came down, reminding her that the girl hadn't eaten anything for quite some time.

Do you mind if I join you? Been a while since I had anything to eat.

DavidByron
2008-01-16, 09:22 PM
Well you mustn't let yourself starve away in the midst of plenty! If you are up so early in the morning that Ana hasn't arrived yet I'm sure it would be fine to fix yourself a sandwich or something.

So what are you doing today? Have you seen Vlax or Dravick or Jeff this morning by the way? Last I saw of them was yesterday's pub crawl but I had to bail out on account of my drinking problem (not being able to drink enough!) I think they split up to cover more ground. Now if my cunning plan is going well we should have covered most of the pubs in Bridgeport looking for a mission. They could have ended up anywhere last night!

I quite got distracted from my other errands though. So today I want to get measured for some new clothes ... maybe something more appropriate for adventuring... something with more little pockets and loops... (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20080111) and I want to check out the library especially since it's so close.

As usual Matthew asks question without waiting for an answer.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-16, 09:53 PM
"Well, it's not so much that, but I get kind of focused sometimes on drawing" she trailed off, listening to the amusing story of Matthew and his pub crawling plan. It was amusing, and also explained why there wasn't so many other people at in the HQ as she knew lived there.

I actually haven't seen any of them, and thankfully there hasn't been any angry knocks on the door of other people looking for them either. Still, I need some more clothes as well, so I'll go with you to the town. I haven't really has a chance to explore it yet. If we're lucky, we'll get what we need without finding them in an ally or hurt or something.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-16, 10:10 PM
Zan held his nose, trying to pinch it.

"Okay... I should be careful what I wish for. Cure minor wounds!"

He gives up his Resistance Spell to do it.

DavidByron
2008-01-16, 11:00 PM
Well let's keep an eye out for anyone we know but I want to get to the tailor's first so they can get on with making the clothes straight away. And you must be pretty hot in your winter clothes there.

Having got the address of her father's business from Shiela, the two set off.

So, Althea, tell me a bit about where you come from. Is that hair real by the way? Oh did you say you wanted to see about getting some paints too? I know just the place.

This part of town where the guild house is located used to be the old town center. Most of the old wealth has moved up and over the hill to what the call "new East Bridgeport" now... really within the last few decades since the Doge has been in charge...

There's a lot of beautiful buildings in this area. You probably noticed that building (indicating the library as they pass it) as you walked up from the bridge the other day. It used to be the old palace way back ... older than The Bridge, it predates the Vanorians..... oh.... do you know who the Vanorians were? I'm sorry: I've been doing all the talking as usual.

The library is a good example of the "Bridgeport" characteristic architectural style in curved roofs, jutting minarets, thin columns and flying buttresses, giving it a light feel. A careful eye might make out where the building once had an outer wall for further defence, now removed, perhaps the stones used in other buildings.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-17, 01:00 AM
"Clothes would be a good idea" Althea agreed as they began to get what they needed to leave. Althea remembered to pack up her latest drawing. It might fetch enough to lower the cost of the clothes a bit. If anything, she could always just make a new sign or something for the shopkeeper. "You'd be surprised how snuggly this thing is, though it gets annoying after a while. Kind of like a cat or some other furry thing."

She raises a hand, twirling some of her blond hair around her finger as she did so. She hadn't really thought about it, but it had been a long time since she had seen someone else with yellow hair. She stayed quiet as Matthew talked, listening intently to his words. Bridgeport had a history that Althea hadn't really thought was possible. Living in one place for so long seemed almost alien to her. "It is, though it's really not that special. There's a couple more with it from where I'm from. There are also those who like to use some dyes from plants to color their hair. I mostly used it for drawing. Actually, I think I could use some. I kind of picked up some I found lying around at the headquarters.

She kicked a pebble in front of her as they walked, enjoying the conversation. Though I must confess my ignorance. I don't even know what a doge is, let alone the Vanorians. Were they that important?

DavidByron
2008-01-17, 02:22 AM
The doge is like a king; a ruler. But in the big cities of this valley there are a lot conflicting powers at work. Politicians, the military, the big churches, and then there are the guilds. Add to that the halflings and the clans of the River dwarves. Nobody has all the power. For example the doge could declare a war say, but without the support of the guilds he might not have enough money for it.

Now the other big cities don't have a doge but most of their rulers have some name other than "king" and a way of balancing the power of the aristocrats, the craftsmen and the churches. You go further out towards the mountains and it tends to be more the old-style kings and princes and dukes. Like where Ulysses comes from. Those old-style aristocrats can all trace their lines back to the Vanorians. The Vanorians ruled this whole valley hundreds of years ago. No kingdom or empire before or since has managed to unify the whole valley. The Vanorians are the reason you can go up and down the entire valley and only have to speak one language. They were great builders too -- they built the bridge and a lot of the roads and canals up and down the valley, as well as founding many of what are now the largest cities.

So yes, they are an important part of the history of the valley but as it happens the one place in the valley you might hear someone say different is right here in Bridgeport.

See, before there were any Vanorians Bridgeport was the center of another empire and it was called Zarif, the beautiful, the fair city. You can see the difference in the architecture easily enough. I have to agree incidentally that the Vanorians didn't build for good looks. On the other hand when you are building a bridge or a fort or a canal perhaps looks aren't the most important things.

Anyway there's always been a rivalry between the up river cities and the down river cities (well-- Bridgeport and Khorinis). Even before the Vanorians. The South has always had more money and sophistication and frankly they can be a bit stuck-up if you ask me... of course I would say that because I come from around The Lake. ... Then the Vanorians move in and take over finally unifying the river. The build the huge bridge and rename the city. Quite a humiliation I dare say at the time.

Well it seems like a long time to hold a grudge if you ask me, but there you go. And the locals often call Bridgeport "the fair city" still. Part of the reason the current doge is popular is because he's been doing a lot to make that true again. Building again in the old style and making money not war. Bridgeport is once again the most powerful city state in the valley as it often was before. So for some the Vanorians - they are an episode in history they'd just as soon forget about. A "blip". Or at least they are "overrated". For others tracing their line back to the old kings is almost their reason for being. Depends who you ask.

Matthew stops talking for a second. They stand in front of a store selling cloth. He looks up and down the street as if checking his bearings.

I think this is the right place. Not the shop; just round the back.

Down a little side street behind the cloth shop there is a wooden stairway. There doesn't appear to be any indication of what is at the top. Matthew walks up the stairs and knocks.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-18, 01:16 AM
Shamus Tailor, Clothier

A short rap on the door drew the middle-aged man's attention, and he turned his back to the one guest he had already.
"I'll be right back to you, Mr. Kyte." He explains in a business-like manner before moving swiftly and surely to the door, and opening it with a grand force, swinging it wide towards him, and greeting those outside in a jovial, welcoming voice.
"Oh, more customers!" He exclaims, "And a pair they are, too! Do you come this way for some wedding garb, perhaps? A fine set of formal rags? Peopletoday seem to love coming in early!"
At his last comment, he laughs heartily.
"M'fraid I've had an excess of business this month, so I can afoard to let you have some stew if'n you're shopping 'ere breakfast. Bad for the mind, you know. You may want to watch out, some merchants'll take you fer all yer worth if you do this to often."
A sly wink is smoothly slid on in, as he steps aside.
"Feel free to Peruse my works before you get measured, of course! Quality is always on display, here! Please, don't mind the other customer. Soups on the stove."
His eyes sparkle the entire speech, offsetting fire-red hair nicely, and he comes off as a kindly, ordered gent, or at least tries.

Beware the power of Perform (Oral)! [roll0]

DavidByron
2008-01-18, 01:42 AM
Matthew almost misses that the comment about the wedding is a joke, so shocked is he to see Kyte there!

Kyte! But he was ... we left him behind at the guild. Damnit, I'm sure he isn't a local. How did he get ahead of us? I have to say something to try and psych him out.

To Shamus:
Thank you Mr Tailor. I have a pretty good idea of what I want; an explorer's outfit. But I'll have a look over your stock first as you suggest.

To Kyte:
You look identical to a fellow I know back at the guild. Identical twins I would say. In fact before I left, your brother asked me to remind you about that 10 silver pieces you owe him.
If that made you go, "What the ???" that's pretty much what Matthew was aiming for with Kyte. Let's see if Kyte can keep a straight face after such an idiotic comment. Is he gonna crack a grin, get angry? Puzzled? Anything!!

[roll0]

Bayar
2008-01-18, 09:36 AM
So, Jeff, Dravick and Gylvin just drank beer and chat the whole night, right?

Thymin
2008-01-18, 10:09 AM
Dravick:

I assume that is the case Bayar. Having a few drinks and catching the show was pretty much all Dravick had in mind when he went into the bar, so when he arrived and saw a couple of people he knew, he would probably stick around and drink a bit and chat it up. If there's anything more specific we can always, talk about it in a "we remembered having that conversation after our drunken haze wore off" sense

Waking in the morning, or possibly in the afternoon, Dravick doesn't remember much about the night before, but from what he does remember and his headache, he knows that a little too much ale was involved. He gets up and slowly makes his way downstairs. When he gets into the common room he is pleased to find it only occupied by Ana. He asks Ana for some clean water, a towel, and whatever food is available. He smiles at her through the throbbing pain in his head. After washing the gritty feeling from his face and neck, and eating his food, he sits against the wall, plucks his lute from its resting spot, and strums very light and melodic music, almost like a lullaby to put his hangover to sleep.

rockdeworld
2008-01-18, 10:51 AM
[roll0]
I would be surprised, but I'm not. "Failing Saves" applies to Kyte more than just about anyone else I've ever met.
Kyte turns from looking at a selection of thick, cold-weather clothing to see Matthew and Althea coming in.

"That would be a strange occurrence, as I do not have any siblings." Kyte answers, and if his physical appearance hadn't already given him away, his voice would have. His dead monotone voice was impossible to mistake.

"I am Kyte." He says with a small bow. "And you are?"

DavidByron
2008-01-18, 12:44 PM
Is this an act? Is he drugged?! This is ridiculous.
Well I'm not blinking first. Game on!

I am not Kyte. You are, are you not?

We've not met before. I did meet your brother though. What a kidder he is, ha! If you give me the 10 silver pieces I can give it to him the next time I see him.

So are you a member of the Adventurer's Guild too Mr Kyte?

To Shamus:
I forgot to mention; we're friends of Shiela. I need something more suitable to the adventuring career I suppose you would say. Lots of pockets for spell components and stuff like string and weapons and all that lot. Plus I'll need a secret and (glances at Kyte) very secure inner pocket for my spell book.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-18, 11:23 PM
Shamus

The merchant had been duitifully watchign the interaction between his customers, and pouring himself a bowl of soup when the wizardly one mentioned Shiela.
He nearly lost his grip on the bowl.
"No, no!" He excalims. "Thats impossible! You're a liar! My Wife is dead. Get out of my shop!"

DavidByron
2008-01-19, 01:00 AM
Woah! Perhaps I got the name wrong. Is this guy screwing with me too?

A girl with red hair about shoulder length, green eyes, inquisitive, precocious, independent, assertive but feels she has to prove herself. Why am I describing her like she was eight years old?

About seventeen years old, my height; she's a warrior and uses a curved sword and an unusual shield with a lot of spikes sticking out of it. She's studied a little magic too. Any of this sound familiar?

Are you... alright?

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-19, 01:51 AM
Althea was a little taken aback. Part of it was because the girl needed to duck a little in order to enter the merchant's shop, but also because his comment threw her mind so far off track that she was actually dumbfounded. It was amazing what such a distraction could pull.

Still, weddings, from what little Althea had been able to glean, were handled quite a bit differently in this area compared to her home. Even though it was possible to get married to someone like Matthew, the thought of it brought a wide grin and a laugh to the girl's face.

Of course, the man's angry proclamation that his wife was dead did much to stop her mirth. She stepped forward a bit, readying herself and position her large frame between Matthew and Shamus slightly. She had her doubts about how well someone like Matthew could hold up in a straight fist fight. Course, he was a wizard. They were almost required to have every spell they would ever need on hand and known.She looked at Kyte, recognizing him from the ale fiasco, an idea forming in her mind. A pleasure to meet you Kyte, I'm Althea. So what're you doing here? Getting some new cloths?

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-19, 02:03 AM
Shamus

The merchant lowers the finger he had pointing at the door, and returns it to the spoon in the stew bowl.
"I'm sorry,"He says "Its really my own fault. I named my Darling Little Girl after my late wife, and, well, I over-react a bit sometimes, and ever since my little girl diappeared, I've been more and more on edge."
He explains swiftly.
"Please, you have to tell me how Shiela is doing. Have some food, sit down and talk."

OOC> Bloody lag is slowing down my post-ability, Tags are hand-typed. Sorry for the confusion if they're messed up.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-19, 09:43 AM
After healing himself, Zan looked around him.... everybody he knew and had associated with had left. Sighing, we walked back into the guild. Maybe, since it was a new day, he could actually fill up his flask.

DavidByron
2008-01-19, 10:29 AM
Disappeared?!
Disappeared? Oh no Shiela sent us here to make sure you knew she was doing fine. Indicates the guild badge She's been busy on guild business. She'll probably be running the place by the end of another week. And still so young. You must be very proud of her.

Uncharacteristically Matthew actually waits for a response at that point
Interesting. So she didn't mention where she had gone to you? I bet it was hard for her to leave. Sometimes it's easier to make that sort of jump .. you know to a new career or lifestyle ... all at once ... put the old ways at arms length for a moment until you get your head around the changes. I bet that was it.

That's a little like me and wanting a new change of clothes. I need to have something that says, "OK this is my new path". Something that makes me feel more like an adventurer, you know?

Another pause
I never settled down or had any children. This must be tough for you. Is Shiela your only child?

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-19, 11:19 AM
Shamus

"No, she was always talking about how she felt like she was nothing but a strain on my finances. I guess she finally "fixed the problem" like she said she was going to.
"Running the place, eh? I hope shes not using too much raw violence in the process?
"Ah, yes, your clothing. You want to feel like an adventurer? I got a few sketches I can show you, some ideas and such.
"And, yes, Shiela is my only child, as my wife, also named Shiela, died in childbirth.
"I supposed thats why she grew up the way she did. Always got into scrapes as a child, said the boys were making fun of me, and teasing. You know, in the way children do. She took offence to it, and, well, she beat them up. Strong girl, you know. People stopped bothering her about me, at least to her face. Whenever she found out what was happening, violence was the simple and natural answer. Thats why she comes off as so hard-nosed."
Shamus replies as he pours another bowl of each of his customers, handing them the stew, before scooping some food out of his own.

"But, yes, the sketches!" he exclaims, before producing a couple pieces of paper depicting various styles of clothing.
"They're in there, notably, I'm thinking about the long coat and the britches with all the pockets and loops."

The sketches resemble a trenchcoat and carpenter's jeans, as appropriate.

DavidByron
2008-01-19, 05:20 PM
I'm ready to move on from the Taliors' now. Happy to have anyone else say the group leaves heading towards the library or other shops of interest, or waiting until Althea and Kyte are done. RTST.
Ooooh. Does that come with a hat? I think I must have a hat.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-19, 11:18 PM
"Do you have anything that wouldn't be so complicated?" Althea asked, looking over the sketches that Shamus had shown. She paused for a moment, grabbing a pencil, quickly drawing much simpler clothes that she could wear. A comfortable looking shirt and pants that were made more for relaxation then for travel. "I'm personally kind of set for the adventuring cloths part." She pauses, realizing she stole Shamus' pencil. "Um, sorry about that..."

I'm almost ready as well. Assuming that Shamus doesn't need measurements. And art supplies Althea needs. Course, the libary is a foreign place to the resident barbarian as well. She's a bit curious as to what it really is.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-19, 11:36 PM
Shamus

The merchant looks over Althea's own sketches and nods. "Well, yes, I could certainly handle that," he says quietly to himself, before looking at Matthew to answer his question. "As for a hat, that can be arranged."
"Now, unless you want me to being eyeing the both of you, I just need to take some measurements to provide maximum quality."

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-20, 12:58 AM
Zan ended up sitting my himself in the corner of the guild hall, sipping ale from his flask every now and then. He was alone again, but sometimes he liked it that way... sure, being alone was bad, and it could hurt after a while, but it gave him time to think. Thinking, and dreaming, those were doors to ages past and ages future. Right now, Zan was thinking about the past... or what little he remembered.

""I wonder what Thaghor's doing right now..."

DavidByron
2008-01-20, 01:33 AM
Alrighty, moving it on. Tell me if I jumped the gun leaving or if am going too quick here and I can edit
Matthew and Althea are measured for their new clothes. They pay whatever deposit Mr Tailor asks for. On the way out they ask Mr Tailor about a good place to buy art equipment and get directions.

The place he suggests is very close by. It turns out to be a shop mostly selling brightly coloured carpets or rugs. A lot of shops to do with cloth and fabrics are huddled together in just three busy streets. The carpet store it seems, has a back room where they make a lot of their own dyes and paints, not just for carpets but cloths and paints for other uses.

To Matthew's untrained nose the small room is full of the smell of paint and dye. Althea can recognise some of the scents. There is a craftsman working at a bench with a pestle and mortar grinding up something or other. He glances up but doesn't really react. The room is full of shelves with small interesting looking jars. A second door is slightly ajar and glancing through it reveals another room containing more benches, glassware and porcelain alembics and dishes.

Matthew in a low, but not secretive voice:
Althea, I've just had a thought. Back at the guildhouse Lankin asked us not to buy stuff ourselves but to order stuff through him so he could get us the very best deal. At first I thought it was just a service he was offering but he actually seemed concerned that somehow we would "ruin his reputation" if we didn't do it that way. To be honest I don't really understand how that works. It seemed a little odd. It must be some sort of crazy merchant code of honor maybe? I don't think it would apply to clothes you get measured for -- in any case that was family as much as business.

I wonder if paint counts for that? It's not like you can just ask Lankin to get "some paint". You'd want to inspect the quality and colour and so on I assume...

Lankin's comment is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3685849&postcount=28)

Anyway, if you want an item, it's best if you tell me ahead of time, and I'll go hunt down the best deal in town and bring some back here within a day or two. Please don't go shopping for equipment in Bridgeport or you'll ruin my reputation with the craftsmen.
Matthew is the sort of person who likes to follow the rules....

Bayar
2008-01-20, 05:07 AM
Jeff

Waking up from his night out booze-ing (again), Jeff goes towards the stables...in hopes he can find Patches. Here kittykittykitty! Come to daddy! He needs someone who can take out the stress from his system!

souldoubt
2008-01-20, 11:14 PM
(The previous day...)

Ulysses secures a horse blanket around his sword and takes a few practice swings. "Well, it unbalances the blade, which will make for an inexact replica of a real fight, but it will have to do."

Strapping on his shield, he salutes Shiela with his blanket-wrapped sword and readies himself.

As I said in my OOC post, again sorry for my absence here.

[roll0]

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-21, 01:26 AM
<THE PREVIOUS DAY>
Shiela

With her trademark maniac's grin, the Red-Headed fighter risesto her feet and snaps her sword and shield into ready position.
"I hope you're ready for this"
Inititave[roll0]

Bayar
2008-01-21, 06:57 AM
Jeff

Not being able to find the cat, Jeff decides to do a little sword practice.So he goes somewhere in the garden, and begins swinging his swords, as if fighting unseen foes. slash, slash, parry, jump and backstab, charge, slash, trip, cut, turn, swing and cut.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-21, 07:03 AM
<THE PREVIOUS DAY>
Shiela

The red-headed warrior made the first move in the combat, pushing off the ground and launching herself straight at Ulysses, bringing her scimitar across in a hard horiontal strike, simolutaneously moving her sheild to guard against anything from above, clearly using the height differance to her advantage.

I'm assuming ten feet of distance apart at the start, as this is meant to be basically melee combat practice, and range shouldn't matter much. This is simple movement, and not a charge.
Attack roll! [roll0]
Confirmation Roll! [roll1]
Damage Roll! [roll2]

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-21, 03:04 PM
Zan had enough of thinking of the past and of home... there was so much to do! Putting his flask away for the time being, he steps outside and looks around.... wandering would eventually find his way to Jeff, no matter how it was broken down, and when finally finding him... Zan watched him for a while.

Bayar
2008-01-21, 03:42 PM
Jeff

Yes Zan? Can I help you with something?says Jeff, while still practicing swordplay.

souldoubt
2008-01-21, 06:17 PM
(The previous day...)

Ulysses steps aside and Shiela's strike rolls off the outside of his shield. He grimaces at the clumsiness of his hampered weapon, but brings it around for an underhanded strike, trying to take advantage of the high placement of Shiela's shield.

Yes, we are taking the usual -4 penalty on our attacks for dealing nonlethal damage. Having the horse-blankets wrapped around them weights them down and makes them unweildy (-4 to hit), but renders all damage incidental (i.e. nonlethal). So I guess Shiela'd have a -1 to hit all together.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Edit: Ouch, that could have been very painful if I'd hit. A near miss, at any rate.

rockdeworld
2008-01-21, 09:45 PM
Has Matthew realized that he hasn't actually given Kyte his name yet, nor has Kyte heard it from anywhere else?

Also, Kyte knows he doesn't have a brother. He doesn't know that Matthew is lying. Hence...

She looked at Kyte, recognizing him from the ale fiasco, an idea forming in her mind. A pleasure to meet you Kyte, I'm Althea. So what're you doing here? Getting some new clothes?

Kyte raises an eyebrow at Matthew's statement. Is someone masquerading as me? If so, why? I'll have to keep my eyes open. He turns to Althea as she speaks to him.

Sub-plot!

"That is the idea." Kyte answers Althea offhandedly, moving his eyes down and up her body slowly, sizing her up. he ends this by meeting her eyes with his own gray, empty pits - eyes so deep and hollow they look as if they could swallow a person whole. "Given the present company though, I think conversation would be more interesting."

All this happens while Matthew and Shamus talk. Presumably, Matthew pays quickly and leaves in order to avoid Kyte. Else DavidByron can edit his post and I'll reply in kind.

Before leaving, Kyte requests from Shamus a set of cold-weather clothes, and then follows Matthew and Althea out of the shop.

In the streets, Kyte looks around for anyone looking remotely like himself, and attempts to begin conversation with Matthew.

[roll0]

"Out of curiosity, where did you see my 'brother'?" He asks calmly - if anything besides calmness or complete lack of emotion can be discerned from his dead, monotone voice. He places no special emphasis on the word "brother," but nonetheless pays attention to Matthew's answer.

If you don't stop in the street, I'll edit my post to be in the paint shop

DavidByron
2008-01-21, 10:09 PM
While walking to the carpet/rug shop....

"Out of curiosity, where did you see my 'brother'?"
Back at the guildhall before I set off.

Hm. This looks like the shop Shamus mentioned.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-21, 10:34 PM
Zan didn't expect Jeff to actually say anything to him, so he approached closer and squatted on the ground, looking at Jeff in a bit of a resting position.

"I got lonely, and I wanted to watch you.... I was never good with swords. Thaghor tried to teach my, but... I like my weapon better, I guess."

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-21, 11:07 PM
((Bringing them into the Paint shop, and also feel free to make fun of Althea forever for this.))

She walked somewhat in between Kyte and Matthew. Even she was able to tell that there was something going on between the two, and she didn't want them to draw steel out in public. Of course, whatever facade of maturity faded away as they came to the shop. There the girl quickly went from watchful adult to something a bit more appropriate for her age.

Althea almost giggled a little as they entered into the store. Most of her own paints were far simpler then what was presented before the girl in the shop. What little survival skills paled compared to the dyes and colors the girl could find in the wild. Even then though, simply finding a rock that left a line when scratched on something was far easier. Charcoal was the best, as she could replenish her supply fairly easily and worked easily enough.

Still, the girl was only able to get three or four colors at best whenever she did it herself. Twice she was able to get a blue, but that was a rare and special moment for the girl. Here though, every color the artist's mind could think of was available in small glasswork. She picked up several small vials, seeing several different reds, from a light pink to a deep crimson. Here she actually did giggle, unable to contain some of her excitement.

"I think I would trust just about everyone in the Guild with most everything," Althea explained. She had a wide smile on her face as she searched through more colors. She began to hold onto several colors. A basic red and yellow were among the first, but others joined. A milky white and inky black soon followed, along with several brushes that she could tell were horsehair. "But there are a few limits to it. You remember how angry you were when Kyte took your spellbook?" Althea puased, thinking about which of two colors to pick. Indecision was defeated however, and she added the lime green and brilliant light blue to her growing pile as well. "Well, I think that most of the people in the Guild would prefer your magic to facing my blade. Ooooh!"

Althea shifted again, several of the paint glasses clinking merrily. She picked up a small basket, setting her load carefully within. What had captured her attention was rather several more colors. These were far rarer, from deeper purples to even a rare yellow that looked like liquid gold. She took a purple vial down from this shelf, as well as the gold. Her hand found her way to the small purse of coins she carried, producing a shiny golden coin as she turned back to Matthew.

"Do you have any idea how much these would cost? Would this cover it?"

Current Count of Stuff Impulse Grabbed. Awesome all vials to be made of glass, and to be 8 oz. worth in a small mason jar. As well, I'll assume a mixture of Oils and Acrylics. For Flavor's Sake. Also, I'm eyeballing this to be about 5 sp to 1 gp

1x Crimson
2x Blue
1x Golden/Orange
1x Purple
1x Light Blue
1x Lime Green
2x Red
1x Paint Thinner
2x Yellow
1x White Paint
1x Black Paint

4x Brushes of varying Sizes.

DavidByron
2008-01-22, 12:25 AM
The craftsman disappears into the next room. You hear him talking to someone else in a clipped tone, "Sam, there are some people out there wanting to buy some oils. Deal with them. I don't wish to be disturbed."

A young man, or perhaps older boy, maybe fourteen years, old comes through and carefully but firmly closes the door behind him. He turns to address the group but looks surprised to see Althea.

Sam:
G-g-goodmorning miss... I mean milady (?) uh... gentlemen. I'm sorry I don't recognise .. I mean you're not a customer here are you? I'm sure I would remember seeing you here before. Ah... you don't look like you are from around here.

You want to buy these paints, and can I help you with those samples too? Oh sorry .. the paint brushes are not for sale. We only sell paints and dyes. Are you a painter then?

Sam alternately looks up at Althea and then blushes and looks at his feet. Althea's enthusiasm is pretty contagious though and he soon appears to be a little more at ease.

They don't have acrylics (in this world). Inks are similar but they are a LOT more expensive. Like x20 the cost. Water based paints would be cheaper generally but this place is cheaper than a store front shop so it averages out. Sam can tell you where to find a "real art shop" with inks brushes canvas paper chalk etc etc and water based as well as oil paints.

BTW are you carrying the big sword as you walk around?

If you want to move on, the bottom line is 5sp for the stuff less the brushes, which includes some "samples" Sam says are free "to you". If you want to talk a bit more Sam is keen to "talk paint" with Althea.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-22, 01:24 AM
I'll just stick with the regular oil based paints for now. They're a bit more fun overall then the water based and generally cheaper I would expect right now. The canvas and whatnot though is different, but that itself could be solved as easily as talking to Shamus. Moreso Althea needs a mount/frame for her work.

Also, Althea isn't carrying around her overly-large-but-a-perfect-fit-for-her-sword around. Mostly because it kind of gets in the way and makes it a bit awkward to walk around.

Althea would also like to "Talk Paint" for a bit as well. :smalltongue: Course, she also would want to stick with Matthew as well. So hopefully my intent for this post will come through. Just gonna have Althea pay, get some directions to a real art store for brushes and stuffs, and make a friend. Don't want to take forever talking to Sam now.

"Awww" Althea put the brushes back, realizing that she had taken them from where the craftsman himself would use them later. The rest of the jars of paint clinked merrily though, and Althea steadied them so they wouldn't break. "I try to paint as often as I can though. I don't often get the chance, but I think I'm gonna settle down a bit more now, so I'll be able to. Hopefully I won't get in trouble with my boss for coming here myself."

Althea and Sam talk for a bit, mostly about the paints and in general art related subjects. It doesn't take long for Sam to give the girl directions to another art shop, one that would be able to sell the girl brushes as well as other supplies she might need. Althea's gold coin was exchanged, with four silver ones given back and the ownership of the jars of paints now Althea's. The last silver coin stayed with Sam, which was given to him with a smile and a "Thanks!" for the help he gave.

"Sorry I took so long..." Althea began to Matthew. She shifted her basket, glad that Sam had given a small roll of canvas to her as well. It was rolled in such a way to prevent most of the clinking by the jars, and to help protect them from breaking as all. "Sam's a really nice kid. I'm about done here, and I have a small brush back at the Guild I can use for a bit. Do you want to go to that big library place now? I've gotten everything I think I need for now."

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-22, 02:34 AM
(The previous day...)

Ulysses steps aside and Shiela's strike rolls off the outside of his shield. He grimaces at the clumsiness of his hampered weapon, but brings it around for an underhanded strike, trying to take advantage of the high placement of Shiela's shield.

Yes, we are taking the usual -4 penalty on our attacks for dealing nonlethal damage. Having the horse-blankets wrapped around them weights them down and makes them unweildy (-4 to hit), but renders all damage incidental (i.e. nonlethal). So I guess Shiela'd have a -1 to hit all together.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Edit: Ouch, that could have been very painful if I'd hit. A near miss, at any rate.

Shiela's scimitar finds its way to parrying the blanketed bastard sword in the nick of time.
The fighetr's feet touch ground, and she flicks the bitter end of her sword skyward, hoping to do the same to Ulyseeus's weapon as she spins in place and moves to slam her shield home.

In actuality, with Weapon Focus, that makes it a wash. (Both weapons are +3 STR, +1 BAB, +1 Weapon Focus, versus -4 Nonlethal and -1 Reckless)
Shield Bash Attack! [roll0]
Confirmation? [roll1]
DAMAGE! [roll2]

EDIT> It seems that quoting your rolls re-rolled them as the same roll0-roll2 in my post. Wierd. as an experiment:
Roll0 tag - [roll0]

Bayar
2008-01-22, 06:20 AM
Jeff

Not interrupting his swordplay, Jeff replies:It is good to know *stab* how to use your weapon *slash* of choice, no matter *jump* what that weapon is.Pausing for a moment from his battle:For example, when you have a big sword, you have to keep slicing with it. When having a blunt one, you have to smash enemies while trying to keep yourself stable. I prefer 2 swords because I have more chances to confuse my enemies when attacking. Sitting down in front of Zan: What is your weapon of choice?

EDIT> It seems that quoting your rolls re-rolled them as the same roll0-roll2 in my post. Wierd. as an experiment:
Roll0 tag - [roll0]

You can write your dice rolls as if you did roll, but fix the numbers, but when you try to quote it, you will see that it does not have [roll0]...good thing if you want to check for fixed rolls :smallbiggrin:

DavidByron
2008-01-22, 09:54 AM
Do you want to go to that big library place now? I've gotten everything I think I need for now.
Don't worry I wasn't planning on spending a lot of time there. I want to try and see the librarian and he may be busy. I can always go again tomorrow; it's close to "home".

There's a funny choice of word, "home".

The route back to the library is the same way they had come that morning. Ten minutes later they are at the steps that lead up to the ornate building Matthew had pointed out at the beginning of the shopping trip. Matthew turns to the others and says,

Uh, look, this place takes itself pretty seriously and neither of you two have the look of scholars exactly. No, no... I'm not asking you to stay behind... it's pretty cool inside actually... but just keep in mind: serious.

With that Matthew removes the dagger from his side and hides it in his jacket. He mumbles a few arcane words and uses a spell on his already perfectly clean clothes. Fiddles with his hair a bit, clearly quite nervous.

Breaking there for reactions from Althea and Kyte.
After that Matthew will go inside and ask to see the librarian which the DM is going to be handling.

souldoubt
2008-01-22, 01:06 PM
(The previous day...)

Shiela's scimitar finds its way to parrying the blanketed bastard sword in the nick of time.
The fighetr's feet touch ground, and she flicks the bitter end of her sword skyward, hoping to do the same to Ulyseeus's weapon as she spins in place and moves to slam her shield home.

Taken by surprise by the unexpected speed and strength of his opponent, Ulysses finds his sword flicked upwards, followed by a sudden blow to his side that knocks the wind half out of him. Recovering quickly, Ulysses brings his now upraised sword down on Shiela from above.

Current/Max HP: 7/13 (edit: all nonlethal damage though of course)

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-22, 01:18 PM
(The previous day...)

Taken by surprise by the unexpected speed and strength of his opponent, Ulysses finds his sword flicked upwards, followed by a sudden blow to his side that knocks the wind half out of him. Recovering quickly, Ulysses brings his now upraised sword down on Shiela from above.

Shiela

Crumpling to her knees, the Fighter raises her shield over her head, wood and horse-blanket absorbing the blow as it falls upon her. Her sword free of its entanglement, Shiela wastes no time in exploit Scale Mail's weakness, and responding with a fierce, upward thrust with the scimitar.

The crumpling is just flavor text, and should not be mistaken for Shiela taking a kneeling position.
ATTACK! [roll0]
CONFIRM [roll1]
DAMAGE! [roll]1d6+4[roll]

rockdeworld
2008-01-22, 01:59 PM
Course, she also would want to stick with Matthew as well. So hopefully my intent for this post will come through. Just gonna have Althea pay, get some directions to a real art store for brushes and stuffs, and make a friend. Don't want to take forever talking to Sam now.

"Sorry I took so long..." Althea began to Matthew.
If I have my way, Matthew won't notice. A short bit of conversation to take place while Althea is shopping and chatting.

-Back in the paint shop, whilst Althea shops-

Kyte glances around the paint shop, taking in the various colors and types of paints that adorn the walls. Once, a long time ago, he would have been dazzled by the kaleidescope of colors entering and exiting his sight all at once - but that was then. Looking around the paint shop, the memory pushes forward to the front of his consciousness...

He stands at the bottom of a deep, round pit, looking up. A shaft of light shines down the pit, setting the multitude of gems in the walls sparkling like a billion differently-colored stars in the blackest night...

Kyte pushes the memory back by concentrating on the table before him. He stares at the table until the memory is gone - thrown back into the black abyss that is Kyte's long-term memory. He reaches out his arm and picks up one of the paints - a light blue - and turns to Matthew.

"Perhaps you should ask for your clothes to be this color. It would suit you." Kyte tells him, holding the vial of paint before his eyes, such that Matthew's head seems to spout out the top of the vial. "Light blue..."

It's a deadly sin reference, if Matthew can get the (admittedly) very obscure reference. One of Kyte's odd jobs was painting (although he isn't skilled in it), so he knows what he's doing here too (further below? Actually, that doesn't really pertain to this post after all, I guess)

"Huh?" Matthew replies with a bewildered look on his face. He is unsure of the reference but figures it is not complimentary.

"...Never mind." Kyte says after a moment, setting down the vial. He walks over to where Althea chats with the shopkeeper. "May I have a bit of white paint?" He asks her - his dead drawl bringing an off note to the lively conversation.

"Oh, alright." Althea says, allowing Kyte to take the vial from her collection.

Kyte sets the vial down and takes off his cloak and leather shirt, revealing a tough physical exterior with no obvious scars. He then dips his finger in the white paint and proceeds to draw a complex rune on his chest.

It's the word "alone" in Terran, although no one except Kyte can read that (even though the alphabet is the same as Dwarven, the language is different).

Wiping off the rest of the paint covering his finger onto his skin with a large stroke at the end of the rune, Kyte puts his clothes back on and turns back to Matthew.

"Now you will know who I am." Kyte tells him. "Don't just believe your eyes."

"OK. What did that mean?" Matthew asks.

Althea stops for a moment, blushing slightly after giving Kyte the small jar of paint. She doesn't recognize the rune, though it does seem more dwavern or elvish then anything else. Beyond that however, the barbarian is ignorant. She turns from Kyte, still blushing somewhat but managing to avoid looking directly at Kyte.

"I'm curious too. But could you please dress yourself again?" She asks, voice dropping off as she hears him putting his clothes back on. Only after the sounds cease does she dare to chance a look, and is relieved to see that he is once again fully dressed.

"Perhaps later I will tell you. It's not dangerous, anyways." Kyte answers, returning the vial of paint to Althea.

[hr]
After a few more moments, the group leaves the paint shop - Althea with her newly-bought art tools, Kyte with a foreign rune painted on his chest and a sense of uneasiness at what he suspects to be some sort of doppelganger taking his form, and Matthew with a sense of curiosity and frustration at Kyte's drawing and his refusal to specify exactly what it was he had drawn.

souldoubt
2008-01-22, 08:35 PM
Crumpling to her knees, the Fighter raises her shield over her head, wood and horse-blanket absorbing the blow as it falls upon her. Her sword free of its entanglement, Shiela wastes no time in exploit Scale Mail's weakness, and responding with a fierce, upward thrust with the scimitar.

Shiela's strike might have proven quite damaging with an uncovered blade, but the blanket-wrapped scimitar fails to get under the scale mail plates and slides harmlessly off Ulysses's armor. Ulysses bats the weapon aside with his shield and brings his sword around across his body and into a lateral slash at his opponent's shieldless right flank to exploit the possible opening.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

DavidByron
2008-01-22, 09:49 PM
{table]name|init|AC|HP|to hit|damage|crit|description
Ulysses|+1|17|13|+5|1d10+3|19-20x2|scale mail, shield, bastard sword one handed
Shiela|+4|17|11|+4|1d6+4|18-20x2|scale mail, spiked shield, scimitar
| | | |+4|1d6+4|20x2|attack with spiked shield[/table]

Shiela's init was 19, Ulyysses was 7.
Note that attacks are at -4 to deal non-lethal damage.

{table]round|name|to hit|damage|description
1|Shiela|5|-|scimitar, hard horizontal strike
|Ulysses|16|-|underhanded strike, very nearly a 13 hp KO blow
2|Shiela|19|6|spin and shield slam
|Ulysses|14|-|upraised sword down
3|Shiela|13|-|upward thrust with the scimitar
|Ulysses|13|-|lateral slash at shieldless flank[/table]

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-23, 09:54 AM
Shiela

For the second time, Shiela brought about her weapon to block Ulysseus's. This was slightly easier than last time, wrencth it to the right and hold it firmly in place. The force behind the blow , however, lead Shiela to believe that were it not for the balance issues, this blow would have set her to bleeding.
Alot.
With a second spin, the Red-topped cyclone replaced her sword with her shield and came in a high, slashing arc with the scimitar, aimed at the knight's neck.

Sla****y Slash Slash! [roll0]
Crittity Crit Crit? [roll1]
Fellity Fell fell? [roll2]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-23, 01:24 PM
Matthew walks up to a desk in the antechamber of the Bridgeport library, his companions lingering behind him. Barely visible, peeking over a human-sized desk, is the face of a female gnome with straight, glossy white hair and spectacles pushed down to the bulbous tip of her nose.

Gnome Lady (in a smooth but authoritative voice)
"May I help you, young man?"

Spectacles are rare in this medieval setting, and therefore an upper middle class status symbol. And gnome noses are distinctive, but not the ridiculous caricature-like schnozzes so often depicted (kinda makes nobody take gnomes seriously).

DavidByron
2008-01-23, 01:38 PM
Yes, I'd like to see the librarian please.
... if they are available...
... or make an appointment...

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-23, 02:08 PM
Gnome Lady

"May I ask your name and business?"

DavidByron
2008-01-23, 02:37 PM
Yes, my name is Matthew Estella. I've recently become a member of one of the Bridgeport guilds. I'd like to inquire about membership and also about access to some speciality materials which the library may have.

Matthew remembers to smile.
Or is that a bad idea? Too needy? Why do I feel like they're going to suddenly figure I'm a sham and throw me out? I belong here as much as anyone else.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-23, 03:23 PM
Gnome Lady
"Just a moment, please."

The bespectacled gnome rolls up the scroll she was reading and hops down and walks around her desk and into the library. It is difficult to determine her age - her hair is white, but sleek; her face is weatherbeaten, but not very wrinkled; she speaks with the mannerisms of an old woman, but her voice is clear and strong; and while her motions are not girlish, they are fluid, showing no sign of age. Stranger still, she is wearing a full suit of padded armor, clean, but of faded scarlet with a few stains, and a long knife strapped to one thigh... and, unsnapping a flap of leather on the other thigh, she drops her scroll into a sort of pocket or holster that looks to have been designed for that very purpose, which runs the length of her short thigh in order to be able to contain a scroll and snap shut again.

After a moment she returns, accompanied (almost comically in contrast) by a very tall man with a bald head and a salt-and-pepper beard, who wears the robes of a scholar. He too is wearing spectacles, but he takes them off and places them in a small pocket on his chest as he approaches.

Librarian
(to the gnome) "This gentleman?" (she nods) "Thank you, Zaara. Guildman Stella [sic], what can I help you find in our treasure trove of knowledge today? I am Edson Scipio, the Librarian."

Scipio bows slightly, his hands clasped lightly together, and arches an eyebrow inquisitively as he catches sight of Matthew's companions.

DavidByron
2008-01-23, 03:54 PM
This guy seems OK.
Matthew has a little sort of speech prepared.

Estella. Matthew Estella. Estella is my grandmother's name. She is a wizard of considerable talent, though perhaps not know in Bridgeport. I am a member of the recently recognised guild of adventurers here in Bridgeport. As are my companions.....

The guild has a small library but it's not suitable either in breadth or depth of knowledge for the needs of the more academic minded members of the guild. I'm not sure what reputation the guild has because of it's more combat orientated members... but there are a considerable number who have studied arcane matters, as well as more mundane matters.

I'd like to ask my guild to negotiate access to the materials the library has to offer, and especially I have heard that the library has a special collection of items related to arcane matters. However I am not sure if there are some security matters that would have to be dealt with first. I'm sure you don't allow just anyone to walk in and look at that sort of material.

I'd like to point out that some of the member wizards come from foreign cultures. We have an Elven wizard and a Dwarven wizard...

Damn. Should that be "Dwarvish?"

...ah... both quite rare... perhaps they could even make a contribution to the library based on their own varied knowledge?

Maybe that was over-doing it. He seemed quite happy to help.

souldoubt
2008-01-23, 05:27 PM
<snip>
With a second spin, the Red-topped cyclone replaced her sword with her shield and came in a high, slashing arc with the scimitar, aimed at the knight's neck.

Seeing the attack coming, Ulysses leans aside and the slash goes wide, whooshing past his head. Without hesitation, Ulysses draws back his weapon and throws his weight into a forward thrust in an attempt to drive through Shiela's defenses.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-23, 05:57 PM
Seeing the attack coming, Ulysses leans aside and the slash goes wide, whooshing past his head. Without hesitation, Ulysses draws back his weapon and throws his weight into a forward thrust in an attempt to drive through Shiela's defenses.

Already in mid-spin, Shiela can't help but think this most recent escape was more on her opponent's part then hers, she stepped to the side as the blanketed sword-tip plunged into the ground.
Seeing as her own strike flew straight past Ulyseeus, the Fighter kept up the momentum, and continued her lethal pirouette to bring the scimitar in for a second strike.

Choppity Chop Chop! [roll0]

rockdeworld
2008-01-23, 06:11 PM
I'm not done in the paint shop - just a little more, if you guys will help me finish it off - but it seems I have to post in the present to avoid being left out again.
Kyte takes a quick glance around the area before entering the grandiose library - checking for followers or the like. The first thing Kyte notices upon entering the library are the giant shelves of historical knowledge towering around him, like giant walls built with many scrolls - and even a few shelves with bound books. As his eyes follow the giant shelves down to the floor, he sees Matthew standing in front of a desk, behind which a gnome is leading forward a wizened old man.

Deciding he would prefer not to interact with the group, Kyte slips down the aisle nearest him. By happenstance, this aisle is one of the few that have a shelf of actual books. Kyte reads off the titles of the carefully arranged books in his head as he passes them, until he comes to one that catches his attention.

"On Death" is written in black ink along the spine of a deep-red book.

Kyte lifts the book from its place on the shelf and carefully opens it. The book is old, despite its new covering, and heavy. The page opened, by coincidence, has the word "Poison" written in large, blocky letters. Kyte eyes narrow, and he peruses the page's contents.

...this powerful and deadly spell inflicts the subject with a a highly toxic poison. Although it is rare to see such a spell employed, the signs are obvious: constricting of the body, swelling of the veins...

Feeling a pull of memory, Kyte stops reading. Although memory hinges at the edge of his mind, waiting to be dredged up, Kyte blocks it, closing the book and returning it to the shelf whence it came. Turning to look back down the path between shelves he had travelled in order to come to his location, Kyte walks back to the library front, looking for Matthew or Althea.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-23, 07:02 PM
Zan continued squatting, liking that both he and Jeff were on the same level.
"I weild a scythe. Thaghor had me work a lot so I'd know the meaning of a day's earning, and I just... I guess I picked up on things like swinging the scythe in a field. It... um... it has its drawbacks, though. I go through towns, and sometimes people think I'm a cleric of...." Zan shivered a little. "Nerull."

souldoubt
2008-01-23, 07:10 PM
Already in mid-spin, Shiela can't help but think this most recent escape was more on her opponent's part then hers, she stepped to the side as the blanketed sword-tip plunged into the ground.
Seeing as her own strike flew straight past Ulyseeus, the Fighter kept up the momentum, and continued her lethal pirouette to bring the scimitar in for a second strike.

Ulysses recovers from his lunge just in time to raise his shield and block the whirling scimitar coming for his head. Wrenching his sword from the ground, he carves a gash in the dirt as he brings the weapon to bear once again upon Shiela's sword-arm side, this time in an underhanded cut slicing upwards from the earth.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

edit: Dang, my rolls have been sucking. :smallyuk:

Bayar
2008-01-24, 05:14 AM
Jeff

Well...that is...an inconvenience...I guess...but at least you can practice you techniques while making money on the fields, right?Jeff smiles.I guess it is easy to "harvest" other things as well...like living beings, knocking them off their feet....

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-24, 06:01 AM
Ulysses recovers from his lunge just in time to raise his shield and block the whirling scimitar coming for his head. Wrenching his sword from the ground, he carves a gash in the dirt as he brings the weapon to bear once again upon Shiela's sword-arm side, this time in an underhanded cut slicing upwards from the earth.
Shiela

Shiela slides her blade off the offending shield to force Valeris' sword back into the deck and re-inforces her stance with a spiked shield-reinforced backhand.

Shield Bash! [roll0]

souldoubt
2008-01-24, 05:12 PM
Shiela slides her blade off the offending shield to force Valeris' sword back into the deck and re-inforces her stance with a spiked shield-reinforced backhand.

Ulysses manages to lift the hilt of his sword and catch the shield-bash across his cross-guard. With a twist of his arm he angles the blade up and around to bring it down against Shiela's shoulder.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-24, 05:16 PM
Ulysses manages to lift the hilt of his sword and catch the shield-bash across his cross-guard. With a twist of his arm he angles the blade up and around to bring it down against Shiela's shoulder.

The hand-and-a-half sword rolls off Shiela's shoulder, as she steps slightly to the side, allowing the blade to sitter against her armor before drawing her blade upwards in a fierce, upperward slash.

Kill! Er... WOUND! [roll0]
ALOT! Or, a confirm-my-critical(tm) (PLEASE?) [roll1]
Enough to KO the knight? [roll2]

souldoubt
2008-01-24, 07:57 PM
The hand-and-a-half sword rolls off Shiela's shoulder, as she steps slightly to the side, allowing the blade to sitter against her armor before drawing her blade upwards in a fierce, upperward slash.

Ulysses brings his shield around just in time to block the strike, but he gets the feeling that if he'd been a split second slower he'd have taken it in the gut. Swinging his sword up and around, he slashes at Shiela's other side.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

DavidByron
2008-01-24, 08:13 PM
{table]name|init|AC|HP|to hit|damage|crit|description
Ulysses|+1|17|13|+5|1d10+3|19-20x2|scale mail, shield, bastard sword one handed
Shiela|+4|17|11|+4|1d6+4|18-20x2|scale mail, spiked shield, scimitar
| | | |+4|1d6+4|20x2|attack with spiked shield[/table]

Shiela's init was 19, Ulyssses was 7.
Note that attacks are at -4 to deal non-lethal damage
in bold - attacks that would have hit but for the -4

{table]round|name|to hit|damage|description
1|Shiela|5|-|scimitar, hard horizontal strike
|Ulysses|16|-|very nearly a 13 hp KO blow
2|Shiela|19|6|spin and shield slam
|Ulysses|14|-|upraised sword down
3|Shiela|13|-|upward thrust with the scimitar
|Ulysses|13|-|lateral slash at shieldless flank
4|Shiela|8|-|spin, high, slashing arc with scimitar
|Ulysses|3|-|throws weight into a forward thrust
5|Shiela|14|-|continued her lethal pirouette
|Ulysses|7|-|underhanded cut to sword-arm side
6|Shiela|13|-|spiked shield-reinforced backhand
|Ulysses|15|-|down against Shiela's shoulder
7|Shiela|16|-|side-step & upperward slash
|Ulysses|14|-|slashes at Shiela's other side
[/table]

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-24, 08:17 PM
"I try not to have things come down to blood when I can. Every time I even feel like responding with violence, I keep thinking that my enemy may have a little one at home... but that thought will exit if need be." Zan scratched the tip of his nose, put his scythe away and squatted again. "I prefer my spells, anyway... I'm not much of a slash-man unless things get a little close for comfort."

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-24, 09:29 PM
The libary was rather imposing, though it was still majestic. It was a rather stark contrast compared to to other buildings that Althea had been in that day. She didn't really notice just how big the place was compared to the paint shop for Shamus' workplace. Those rooms suddenly seemed more like closets then stores. Althea just nodded as Matthew explained how the place was a bit more high brow then the paint shop. The girl, distracted, didn't pay attention as her foot caught the edge of a step, sending her tumbling down.

She cursed under her breath, but was released to see that the paints had not broken outright. She still needed to inspect each one to find any possible cracks however.

"I'll be just a minute, sorry."

She picked up the jars carefully, inspecting each one with a steady hand. Aside from one or two scratches, not a single drop of paint was spilled, nor any cracks worked into the glass. She hurried into the library after, running a hand through her hair to straighten it somewhat before doing so. She waits behind Matthew, mostly just looking around. Althea wasn't the greatest reader in the world, far from it. She struggled with much of the more complex words and sentences, and her writing was a terrible scrawl compared to her beautiful brush strokes. The library she was in now was amazing though.

"How on earth did they have the time to make all of these?" Althea commented, more awestruck then anything else. The girl moved to one of the closer bookshelves, chewing her lower lip as she made sense of the title. She didn't really understand why the books needed such a long title. History of Bridgeport would have fit much better then the complicated jumble that adorned the spine of that book. The literary world was more of a passing interest of Althea's. She'd much rather find a bard or good story-teller then curl up with a book. She shook her head, turning her attention back to Kyte.

"I think Matthew's doing Guild stuff, we should probably stay away for now. You find anything interesting?"

rockdeworld
2008-01-24, 10:27 PM
Kyte shakes his head in response to Althea's question, not wanting to allow the memory that had almost come to mind before have another chance to bring itself to the forefront of his consciousness. Standing in the main hallway again reminds him of how large the library is, and how many books and how much information such a place could hold.

He imagines himself spending hours, even days, looking through the mountains of books, scrolls, and other sources of information - all the while distracting his idea-prone mind from dredging up memories of the distant past, when suddenly a wave of pain washes over him, as though he has been struck by a lightning bolt that, instead of using his body as a ground, flows through it, flows through his veins without ceasing.

Fortitude Save DC13 - (1d20+2)[12]
[roll1] - damage to Con (now temporarily 4)
It is my opinion that poisons have too-easy save DCs :smallmad: - ignore the post-roll-count issue for that reason...
After a second of struggle, Kyte drops to the floor, barely managing to prop himself up with both hands. Sweat drips off his bedraggled face, forming small puddles on the peaceful wooden floor. Pain wracks Kyte's body and he feels strangely weak.

"What the...?" His whispering voice is ragged, and can barely be made out. Remembering the book he held in his hands only a moment earlier, the word poison floats unbidden to the front of his thoughts. "Poison...?" He whispers.

DavidByron
2008-01-24, 10:57 PM
As Matthew is about to start reciting his prepared speech he notices Kyte sneaking off into the library.
[roll0]
Damnit where's that idiot going now?!? He'll ruin everything! Let's hope nobody saw him.

Matthew doesn't notice exactly when Kyte reappears as he is talking to the librarian. The last thing he wants is to be interrupted. When Matthew hears Kyte drop to the ground in pain his first thought is, "This has got to be another of his crazy acts!".

To librarian:
Excuse me a second....

Matthew rushes over to Kyte bends low and whispers:
You better be dying or I'm gonna kill you.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-24, 11:37 PM
"Oh gods," Althea cursed as she got her bearings watching Kyte fall like he were suddenly struck. Matthew seemed to react faster though, bending down before him and seemingly checking on him. She paused for a moment, putting down her load of paints carefully before stepping over, wrinkling her nose in disgust at the smell of sweat that managed to form so quickly. She ignored Matthew's surprisingly coarse comment, showing concern on her face for Kyte.

She inspected him quickly, though whatever ailed him was far beyond Althea's understanding of wounds. Still, he seemed considerably weaker then beforehand, as if he couldn't even stand. "You need a hand? You look like you just got smashed by a maul."

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-25, 07:54 AM
Ulysses brings his shield around just in time to block the strike, but he gets the feeling that if he'd been a split second slower he'd have taken it in the gut. Swinging his sword up and around, he slashes at Shiela's other side.

Shiela Raises her shield to catch the sword square in the center, and, in the same split second, drops her sword, and moves in to grab at her opponent's shield arm.

Yes, its a touch attack! [roll0]
Str Check to establish a hold and initiate a grapple[roll1]

Feel free to make your AoO
EDIT> And, since I missed, you get TWO attacks at me.

souldoubt
2008-01-25, 12:39 PM
Shiela Raises her shield to catch the sword square in the center, and, in the same split second, drops her sword, and moves in to grab at her opponent's shield arm.

Ulysses instinctively lashes out at Shiela as she grabs for his arm.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Ulysses won't actually take his second attack just now. EDIT: Added the below reaction. It may not be an official part of the Knight's Code, but I can't really see Ulysses attacking Shiela after she's dropped her weapon, even though he realizes it was intentional on her part.

Realizing that Shiela has dropped her scimitar on the ground, Ulysses steps back and waits for her to retrieve her weapon.

Taking a 5-foot step back and readying an action to attack Shiela if she comes at him with her scimitar. If she comes at him unarmed, he'll probably be pretty confused and just get his AoO out of instinct again.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-25, 01:03 PM
<Still Yesterday>

Shiela:
"You know," Shiela drawls, "You're pretty good, Sir Valeris." before taking a five-foot-step towards her opponent. "Those horse blankets do seem to efect balance a bit too much - but you seem to be neglecting one important fact."
The Red-headed warrior flashes that grin again.
"I'm not unarmed."
With that, Shiela throws her weight into a shield bash, hoping that the ploy caught her oponent off-guard.
Is it possible to Shield Bash two-handed? Regardless, consider this the one-handed variety.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

DavidByron
2008-01-25, 01:12 PM
readying an action to attack Shiela if she comes at him with her scimitar
Doesn't pay to be too specific with readied actions :smallsmile:

souldoubt
2008-01-25, 01:45 PM
Doesn't pay to be too specific with readied actions :smallsmile:

Quite so. But Ulysses isn't looking to get paid. :smallbiggrin:

(In other words, I was intentionally over-specific)

Ulysses is about to respond to Shiela's comment when he's forced to clamp his jaw shut and sidestep the wildly swinging shield. Bracing himself, he swing his own weapon into an upward arc.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-25, 02:05 PM
Shiela
The little rd-headed fury deftly moved her rear foot sirectly behind her front, allowing the blade to raise up through dusty and sweaty air, but nothing even remotly resembling fighter.
As a repercussion, Shiela makes another grab attempt on the Knight's Sword-Arm.

Touchitty! [roll0]
Grabbity! [roll1]
Valeris should:
1)Make his reflexive AoO
2)Oppose my Strength Check. A victory will mean you break the grapple. Shouldn't be hard.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-25, 04:02 PM
(Librarian Edson Scipio starts to notice the adventurers going up to the books)

Scipio
"Ah...Excuse me! Please don't touch anything...please come back in the antechamber!" (turning to Matthew rather hurriedly) "Good sir, this library is open to you and your friends, but only one of you may come in at a time because you must be escorted by me - you just tell me what you want, and I will retrieve the book. I'm sorry, we just can't trust anyone off the street to handle our treasures carefully enough. And as far as books of arcana are concerned, that is left to my discretion to choose who may or may not be allowed to view them. And I'm afraid I don't know you, so there is no way that... good Pelor save us!"

(Scipio catches sight of the Kyte, looking like he just came from the grave.)

Scipio
"I'll go look for a cleric in the library! Stay here!"

As the adventurers crowd around Kyte, Zaara walks silently up behind Matthew and startles him when she pulls on his elbow, bringing his ear down to the level of her mouth.

Zaara
"I think we may be able to help each other. If you're a true arcanist seeking knowledge, come back here at sundown; Edson will be gone."

She then takes a step back, all the while looking as if she were only concerned for Kyte's welfare.

souldoubt
2008-01-25, 04:05 PM
The little rd-headed fury deftly moved her rear foot sirectly behind her front, allowing the blade to raise up through dusty and sweaty air, but nothing even remotly resembling fighter.
As a repercussion, Shiela makes another grab attempt on the Knight's Sword-Arm.

Seeing that his opponent is far from helpless or even weaponless without her scimitar, Ulysses makes a downward strike at Shiela, trying to fend off her grab for his arm.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

According to the grapple rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple), if my AoO succeeds, then the grab attempt automatically fails. (Also, your grapple check to maintain a hold should be +4, not +3; mine is also +4, but I'll use +3 to even it out.)

In case of a missed AoO, Ulysses turn will be taken up by trying to shake Shiela off:
[roll3]

Otherwise, if Ulysses hits with his AoO, he'll spend his turn attacking Shiela again:
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Edit: Okay, looks like Ulysses missed and thus spend his alloted six seconds pulling his arm away from Shiela's hasty grip.

Bayar
2008-01-25, 04:18 PM
Jeff

Nice talking to you, Zan, but I have to go somewhere now. See you later!And with that, Jeff leaves the guildhouse...and heads into the town, looking for the library. After asking around people, he finds out where it is located. Arriving, he enters it.

I dunno who I will see in the library...and the forum seems to cripple now

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-25, 04:39 PM
Seeing that his opponent is far from helpless or even weaponless without her scimitar, Ulysses makes a downward strike at Shiela, trying to fend off her grab for his arm.

(Also, your grapple check to maintain a hold should be +4, not +3; mine is also +4, but I'll use +3 to even it out.)

My Strength modifier is +3, like yours. I don't see where the extra +1 is coming from

Upset at being rebuffed, Shiela moves in for a second grab.

Touch Attack! (+1 fighter, +1 STR, -1 Trait) [roll0]
STR Check (+3) [roll1]

Possible Unarmed Damage (I overlooked that part before) [roll2]
Also, the opposed Grapple check is a Free Action, seeing as you missed anyway, thats a moot point

souldoubt
2008-01-25, 05:00 PM
My Strength modifier is +3, like yours. I don't see where the extra +1 is coming from

Upset at being rebuffed, Shiela moves in for a second grab.

+1 from your BAB. Would your aggressive trait apply to grapple checks? They aren't really attack rolls, per se, but I guess one could use that argument abusively since attack roll penalties don't usually specifically state that they apply to grapple checks. So I guess +3 would make sense.

Ulysses ducks aside, puzzled by Shiela's continued attempts to grab him. He takes a couple swings at her with his sword as she tries to close with him.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Edit: Of course. I finally hit, and I roll a natural 1 on damage. :smalltongue:

DavidByron
2008-01-25, 07:07 PM
Zaara: I think we may be able to help each other. If you're a true arcanist seeking knowledge, come back here at sundown; Edson will be gone.
Matthew is not sure what to think of the offer. He's very uncomfortable at the idea of going behind the librarian's back.... on the other hand this woman appears to appreciate his status as a Wizard. Zaara's face shows no indication of what just happened and Matthew has other things on his mind right now. ... and with the librarian gone Matthew is less worried about keeping up appearances.

Poison? What poison?! Matthew quickly checks Kyte's hands, eyes and tongue ... if Kyte lets him. HEY! What happened?!? Can you stand?
[roll0]

rockdeworld
2008-01-25, 08:49 PM
Inbetween Matthew's death threat and his concern for Kyte's vitality, Kyte climbs to his feet. His body feels weak, as though someone really had just smashed his head with a hammer, and staggers slightly. He submits to Matthew's inspection of his hands and eyes, but despite his gray pupils being unnaturally dilated Kyte can see fine, and looks around with usual quickness.

"I am not dead yet." Kyte replies to Matthew, his raspy voice showing no more emotion than usual. "But I do feel... weak." He leans on Althea for support. "Help would be appreciated."

DavidByron
2008-01-25, 09:09 PM
Hm. It's not far to the guildhouse. I think you'll live.

But we can't go now: the librarian went to get a cleric just for you so you better act at least a bit ill when he gets back with one. Don't want to look rude.

More important though: how did this happen?

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-25, 10:35 PM
"Up you go," Althea said aloud. He grabbed Kyte's hand, wrapping it around her shoulders and lifting him up. He was able to stand on his feet more solidly now that Althea held most of his weight. The girl looked around, ignoring Matthew's snippy comments as she did so. That didn't mean she didn't give the wizard a dirty look before turning her attention back to the poisoned man. "I got your weight, just put one foot in front of the other, and try to stay balanced."

Several hobbling steps later, directed and mostly walked by the girl, she let him sit into the librarians chair. She sat him down, making sure he didn't slump over or fall once more. She checked him over, at least enough to see if didn't break a bone or hurt himself aside from whatever poison ailed him. Finishing her quick search she stepped back, sitting on the

"Now I'm curious too. How were you able to poison yourself by reading a book? I'm pretty sure you didn't get cut or anything, so unless there was a tiny imp that managed to stick you and hide in the book itself, I'm a bit lost."

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-26, 01:25 AM
"Wait, but I just got.... here."

Alone again, the cleric found a rock to sit down on and sighed, taking a sip from his flask only to keep his throat wet. With nobody to keep company, even silently, his mind wandered again...

"I would like to meet that dwarf that's around here... I haven't spoken with him much yet."

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-26, 09:18 AM
Matthew determines that Kyte has indeed been poisoned. Scipio returns, accompanied by a man almost as tall as himself, wearing richly decorated clerical robes and the holy symbol of Pelor. His face is clean shaven but he has thick hair cut in an old-fashioned style, brown with streaks of gray. He speaks boldly, as one with great authority would, but not haughtily.

Cleric
"Let me see the man."

(assuming the adventurers let him tend to Kyte - otherwise I'll edit)

Cleric
"Yes indeed, poison."

He focuses, and places his hands on Kyte's shoulders. For a moment, the two men seem to shine, as if the sun were behind them, its rays illuminating their profiles. Kyte feels well again.

Cleric
"Go in health, young man. Edson, I'm afraid I have pressing matters to attend to - I expect you to discover how this man was poisoned and resolve the issue." (calling over his shoulder) "Curtis!"

Edson Scipio
"Of course, Your Eminence."

The cleric exits the library, passing by Jeff at the doors. As he does so, another younger cleric, wearing simpler robes, speed-walks out of the library, and through the antechamber, taking his place a step behind "His Eminence" before adjusting his robes and looking more composed.

Edson Scipio (looking flushed)
"Good people, I hope you understand that we just disturbed the High Priest of Pelor! And poison - in the library, while he was here! Why, you might be Assassins for all I know!...But no need to get the City Guard involved. Please, leave and do not return! Zaara, these persons are not to be admitted to the library - if they come again, raise the alarm!"

Scipio does not listen to any of the adventurers' objections, but turns and strides quickly back into the library shaking his head.

Zaara (looking suspiciously at Kyte)
"How exactly did you get poisoned in the library? Did you bring something poisonous with you?"

Bayar
2008-01-26, 09:42 AM
Jeff

Entering the library, Jeff sees the other guild members, but is oblivious of what just happened. He walks to the gnome lady.Excuse me, have you got any books about the elven language?

DavidByron
2008-01-26, 10:02 AM
Matthew gets a cold feeling down his spine. Banished! And he didn't even do anything wrong. A number of other thoughts run through his mind in confusion:

Will the entire guild be black listed? Is Bruce going to blame me?!?

That was the new high priest of Pelor! Wow, so young. What's he doing at the library. Damn I should have memorised his face in case.... here's his assistant, "Curtis" OK good... yeah... not that I'd ever.... nervous walk, hurried.... shoulders kinda sloped....

That offer from the gnome woman... I guess I have no choice now. Serves that librarian right if I go behind his back anyway. What a ****. ... I suppose he's only doing his job though. I should never have let Kyte come with me.

What was I THINKING??? The kid's a walking disaster area.

The city guards? He's threatening us with the city guards now?! Now that's just an insult. Even Kyte ... all he did was wander off by himself.

Damnit. Maybe Althea was right to give me a dirty look. Kyte's just a kid. I've been behaving like an idiot. Stupid stupid! Damnit. Just some stupid screwed up kid. I'm the adult here. This is all my fault. Augh! What a MESS.

To Zaara:
Don't blame the kid. He's a bit of a... he's not all there. I take responsibility for him. I should have kept a better eye on him that's all.

I'm not an expert on poisons but look, his fingertips were a little discoloured a second ago but when the priest cast his cure spell, the discolouration vanished.

rockdeworld
2008-01-26, 10:42 AM
Woohoo Restoration! Also, that's quite a plot hook there!

The entire scene happened so quickly Kyte had virtually no chance to react. He thanks Althea as she sets him down, and thinks for a second about what he wants to tell the others about what he assumes to be the source of his poison before the priest shows up and allows him another moment of silence. After the priest casts his spell, Kyte feels as good as if he had just awoken from a good night's sleep, with no injuries or maladies at all. Having stared at the priest's face for a good few seconds, Kyte does memorize what he looks like, and follows his form as he leaves. Then the librarian - or so Kyte assumes he is - has a little rant, and as he turns to leave Kyte stands, his health returned and strength flowing into his body.

"As nice as it is that you want to take responsibility for me," Kyte's dead voice has returned to its usual, if emotionless, quality as he speaks to Matthew. He then turns to Zaara to finish the conversation. "I think the more important issue is the fact that some of the books here are more lethal than their guardians..." He drops his voice a bit, in order to make sure that he is not heard by the errant librarian. "And on that note, would you mind if I borrowed one of your books?"

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-26, 10:57 AM
Shiela reflexivly pulls her arm back as its struck by a glancing blow with the sword, however, even a glancing blow with THAT sort of strength behind it hurt.
Alot.

With a microsecond's thought, Shiela immediatly brought one leg around behind her opponenet and attmepted an off-siade hip throw.
Yes, its a trip attack!
Meele Touch! [roll0]
Strength! [roll1]

EDIT: Unsuccesful! 5-foot step away from Ulyseeus and taking a move action to grab the scimitar

strongoak
2008-01-26, 03:11 PM
It's likely that SPAM posts are going to be a regular feature in the HQ thread and are going to have to cut across whatever else might be going on and be posted "out of order". So I suggest labeling the SPAM posts and we'll assume it's a flashback to a meeting or series of meetings that already took place in the library.

Some of the meetings might be designated as "wizards only" -- probably just to make other people think something very important is going on. These would be separate meetings. If it's not labeled "wizards only" figure anyone can wander in without causing upset.

If you're replying to some SPAM and non-SPAM posts are in between it might be good to quote part of what you are responding to.

Matthew is arranging some papers on the library table.
Oh hey! You're early. Welcome to the inaugural meeting of the Society for the Perfection of Arcane Methodology. This thing is mostly Gylvin's idea and he isn't here yet but we have a preliminary agenda for tonight worked out if you want to look at it. It's all a bit informal at the moment.

Gylvin walks into the room. He's a little flustered at running behind for the kick-off meeting. He see's that Matthew has gone ahead & set up.

"Thanks for getting started. Just you & I so far eh? I hope the other magic users are willing to work together, there's just so much that can be accomplished if we organize. Has anyone else expressed interest? I haven't gotten feedback from anybody."

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-26, 04:58 PM
"As nice as it is that you want to take responsibility for me," Kyte's dead voice has returned to its usual, if emotionless, quality as he speaks to Matthew. He then turns to Zaara to finish the conversation. "I think the more important issue is the fact that some of the books here are more lethal than their guardians..." He drops his voice a bit, in order to make sure that he is not heard by the errant librarian. "And on that note, would you mind if I borrowed one of your books?"

Zaara (to Kyte, incredulous)
"Are you saying you were poisoned by a book? And no, there's no way I could possibly let you take anything out of the library... but perhaps I could let you copy some things. Please go now, but come back at sundown..." (she turns to Matthew) "I have a favor to ask you then."

I suggest going ahead and conducting your SPAM meeting, then coming back to the library.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-26, 05:21 PM
"Well, what is it's just like poison ivy or something like that? It infects just by a touch," Althea offered for an explanation. She stayed long enough to make sure that Kyte could stand well, then collected her paints again. She shifted it onto her back, double checking the previous cargo simply to make sure. The cleric was a oddly powerful man. Althea could almost feel the conviction he must have held for his god, like the bond between a mind and body. She wondered idly what it would be like to be that close with anyone really.

"Please let us now when things settle down though," Althea asked. She smiled at the smaller woman. "I'm not good, but I would enjoy getting better at reading in a place as grand as this."

DavidByron
2008-01-26, 05:43 PM
note: SPAM takes place in the guild's library at odd days. This particular chat takes place before Matthew etc visit the city library.

I'm not sure the SPAM thread ever ends. It just goes on and on and on. I don't know if it is possible but I'd actually prefer an entirely separate second HQ style thread for "stuff that happens in the guildhouse library" which would include SPAM meetings and perhaps other stuff where people want a quiet chat perhaps at a less speedy pace of posting from the main HQ thread.

Previously:
1st SPAM post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3798742&postcount=318) (Matthew and the agenda for 1st meeting)
2nd SPAM post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3842376&postcount=417) (Gylvin arrives)

Gylvin: Thanks for getting started. Just you & I so far eh? I hope the other magic users are willing to work together, there's just so much that can be accomplished if we organize. Has anyone else expressed interest? I haven't gotten feedback from anybody.
I think Balthazar and Sheila whom you know and Dravick. He's the bard from team Badger. The guy with the lute? Sheila has had some magical tutoring and Dravick can cast some cantrips. I'm not sure if anyone else in the guild knows anything about the arcane. Zan might be interested too. He's a cleric of Boccob but I don't know if he can cast arcane spells or not.

And then there are some of the new guys I don't know about them so much. I think they are going to all be in a fourth team and so far there's no representation from among them.

Lankin is a Gnome so I suppose he might know some illusion spells as all Gnomes seem to... more of an inherent ability I think... but I asked him whether he was an adventurer and he was pretty clear he didn't want anything to do with that side of things. Still if we wanted a senior member to sit in for some reason he'd probably a better choice than Bruce or Eldon.

While Gylvin and Matthew are waiting....

Well it's going to be a short meeting if it is just us. ......

I was going to check out the city library today but got side-tracked....

souldoubt
2008-01-26, 05:47 PM
With a microsecond's thought, Shiela immediatly brought one leg around behind her opponenet and attmepted an off-siade hip throw.

Luckily for him, Ulysses sees the trip attempt coming and steps back over Shiela's planted foot with a nimbleness surprising for a man his size in full armor. As she comes at him, he takes a swipe at her with his sword.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Shiela dances away to retrieve her sword. Ulysses follows close on her heels and comes in for another attack.

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-26, 06:09 PM
Jeff

Entering the library, Jeff sees the other guild members, but is oblivious of what just happened. He walks to the gnome lady.Excuse me, have you got any books about the elven language?

Zaara
"Certainly. Come with me."

Jeff follows Zaara from the antechamber into the impressive library - books, scrolls, and maps are stored around the wall and on second floor balconies, with a vaulted ceiling above. Some sections have bars around them and locked doors, like a prison cell. In the rear of the room are two doors labeled "Storage," and "Office," as well as a set of double doors that look as though they lead outside, but they are barred from the inside to prevent people from sneaking in... or perhaps sneaking out too easily with valuable books. In the middle of the large room are large desks with comfortable chairs and clean-burning lamps. Jeff does not see anyone around besides himself and Zaara. Zaara gives Jeff a white felt cloth to wipe his hands with, then brings him several books regarding the Elven language.

"Just leave the books on the desk when you're done, Sir."

Jeff thanks her and she returns to her post in the antechamber.

Bayar
2008-01-26, 06:21 PM
Jeff

Wiping his hands on the cloth, Jeff opens one of the books, and tries to concentrate on learning some of the words. Ama...flower..... nodel.....moon.....kiir.....gem..
...stacia.....star....after a while, Jeff mumbles: This language, it is melodious, but learning it will take some time....not to mention getting the accent right....

And yes, those are REAL elven words...not invented ones

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-26, 06:30 PM
As the shadows grow long in the late afternoon, Jeff studies diligently. He is slightly startled when a tall bald man with a beard walks out of the door marked "Office." The man nods to Jeff in acknowledgement, says something to Zaara as he walks through the antechamber, and leaves the library.

SPAM meetings are now in a new thread. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3843332
Feel free to return to the city library now.

Thymin
2008-01-26, 06:47 PM
Dravick:

Feeling a little better after his headache subsided, Dravick realizes that aside from Ana, he is alone in the Guildhall. I wonder where everyone is? I guess I should check around and make sure no one is getting into any more trouble. He carries his lute along and as he leaves the guildhall he sees someone entering the library. I think that was Glyvin. Deciding to see what Glyvin was up to he went into the library just in time to hear Matthew describe him as "the guy with the lute." He smiled at that description, and then announced himself. "Hello Gentlemen. What sort of shenanigans are you up to in the library?"

DavidByron
2008-01-26, 06:52 PM
Matthew is going by himself but of course Kyte and Althea may have heard Zaara allude to Matthew coming tonight
This all seems a bit cloak and dagger for a library. Poisoned books, the high priest just happening to be around, and now a nocturnal rendezvous.

I wonder if Jeff is still up there... I didn't see him get back. He didn't seem like the academic type.

Matthew heads up towards the library before dusk. Unsure of how late he's supposed to arrive he hesitates across the road from the library in a side alley. As he is thinking about what to do next, he sees the tall librarian leaving.
Take ten hiding = 12
Hope he didn't see me. At least I know now what time he goes home in the evening. Waiting a few more minutes impatiently to be sure, Matthew heads across the street to the library's front entrance.

Is there a back entrance I wonder?

I wonder what she meant by a favour....

Bribri
2008-01-26, 09:44 PM
Fin was wondering about the city, as said before he does have a life of his own out-there, and the guild hall wasn't his primary hang out spot, not as of yet anyway. HE had just been chatting to some of the b'ys he was friends with at the ring. They of course, encouraged him to return to his previous occupation but Fin wasn't much for that. He eventually left them company, and found himself just walking the streets. It was around then he found himself walking down the street past the library, giving a casual wave to Dravick as he passed him by. "Howdy" not much interested in following the bard into the library though. Fin couldn't read a word, he'd just make a fool of himself in a place like that... though...

Spot check to see if he notices Matthew or not [roll0]

The young man did noticed the wizard, not quite sure 'why' he was trying to hide himself, or even if he was actually trying to hide at all. In the end his interest also seemed to be in the library so Fin walked on, only nodding a hello in his direction before heading towards the guild hall.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-26, 10:15 PM
Looking for even the slightest of things to do, Zan searches.....

I'll take a 20 on hearing the sounds of battle between Ulysses and Shiela, and watch.

souldoubt
2008-01-26, 10:20 PM
I'll take a 20 on hearing the sounds of battle between Ulysses and Shiela, and watch.

I think our fight may be going on "yesterday" relative to you. It is relative to everyone else anyhow.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-26, 10:23 PM
((Probably not.. I have nothign better to do, anyhow. Having no true significance to the current plot, Zan could be doing anything.))

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-27, 05:31 AM
Shiela ducked the first blow from the Bastard sword arcing over her head, and as she rolled back, gripping her hand about the scimitar's hilt, raised her shield to catch the sword coming around a second time.
Holding her arm stiff, refusing to give any leway at all to the larger man, Shiela brought her scimitar through the opening with a powerful thrust.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
OOC> I have no problem with Zan stopping the fight "yesterday"

souldoubt
2008-01-27, 07:18 PM
Holding her arm stiff, refusing to give any leway at all to the larger man, Shiela brought her scimitar through the opening with a powerful thrust.

Stepping back to avoid the jabbing scimitar, Ulysses prepares himself for a counterthrust, but is suddenly interrupted by a streak of black and orange as Patches the cat races between his firmly planted legs, followed closely behind by a barking dog.

Taken completely by surprise by the unexpeced "attack" out of left field, Ulysses is knocked off balance, and, stumbling, falls over onto his back. He watches his "assailants" rush on and away, then turns his gaze back to Shiela, an extremely bemused expression written on his face.

Ulysses: :smallconfused:
Me IRL: :smallbiggrin:

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-27, 09:50 PM
Zan looked from Ulysses to Shiela, with both a puzzled and exasperated expression.

"Why are you two fighting? I thought we were all teammates! What causes you to try and kill each other?"

He didn't quite understand such ideas as roughhousing for fun, and as a result can't quite understand why the weapons are wrapped in blankets, either.

Shades of Gray
2008-01-27, 10:44 PM
Durx (yesterday)

Any o'you 'urt?

Durx pulls out his prayer book.

rockdeworld
2008-01-28, 10:47 PM
(Yesterday)
"They are sparring. Surely you have heard of that?" Kyte says to Zan, pulling yet another arrow from his quiver and locking it to the string of his bow. He takes a few seconds aiming the arrow before firing another shot and sending it flying into the target 100 feet beyond.

I bet you all forgot Kyte was even there :smalltongue:
[hr]
(Today)
After a bit of wandering around, Kyte sees Matthew leaving the guild hall and takes the opportunity to follow him. As with early in that morning, Kyte travels along the rooftops of various buildings so as not to be noticed by Matthew.

When Matthew and Kyte get to the front of the library, Kyte looks down from the rooftop and sees Matthew hide when someone comes out of the library's front entrance. He stands perfectly still, not wanting to be seen in case the person should look up to his location.

Taking 10 for Kyte, though, gets 17 - unnoticed by Fin.
Afterwards Kyte climbs down from the rooftop and follows Matthew inside the library, interested both in seeing why Matthew came to the library and what the librarian had to offer him.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-28, 11:05 PM
(Yesterday)
Zan craned his neck to look at Kyte, then turned back. "No. I don't know what sparring is. I've never heard of it."

(Today)
Zan had nothing better to do than sip every so often on the ubiquitous silver flask, and so he decided to walk around in search of a good book.

Search check for a book, mostly fiction but history is good as well.
[roll0]

rockdeworld
2008-01-29, 01:36 PM
Zan seems very calm about it now though. :smallamused:
(Yesterday)
Kyte lets the arrow fly...

[roll0]
THWOK! The arrow hits on the outside of the target.

"It is when people fight without intending to injure each other." Kyte explains monotonously. He lifts another arrow to fire again.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-29, 02:09 PM
When Matthew comes to the library, Zaara meets him in the antechamber.

Zaara
"Thank you for coming back... but I'm afraid I have to ask you to wait a little longer; there's still a man in there studying Elvish, and who knows how long he'll be there. But are you a wizard? Do you understand how to read the languages and symbols in the arcane books? Because I--"

She stops short, and inclines her head toward Kyte entering the antechamber.

"Oh, it's you. Glad to see you are feeling better. Anyway gentlemen, I must ask you to wait discreetly outside for a few moments - I'll ask this scholar inside to leave so I can lock up, so wait until he's out of sight before you come back."

__________________________________________________ _

Meanwhile, back at the Guildhall...

Bruce finds each of the adventurers and pulls them aside individually to say:
Bruce
"There will be some laborers coming tomorrow to dig a cellar in the basement. It's actually going to be a dungeon for all these prisoners you keep bringing back, but they don't know that. Actually, even Elga thinks it's going to be a cellar. So just keep your prisoners in the stable for now and be discreet when the workers are here."

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-29, 02:46 PM
<STILL YESTERDAY>
Shiela

The fighter looses her composure as Valeris hits the dirt.
"I think we should call it a match, eh? A draw, perhaps?" She asks with a smirk on her face.

With these words,she reverses her scimitar and lays it in the dirt before offering the Knight a hand up.
"Good fight."

DavidByron
2008-01-29, 02:52 PM
Zaara:But are you a wizard? Do you understand how to read the languages and symbols in the arcane books? Because I--
Yes that should be a simple matter for me. I'll wait until the man has gone.
[hr]
Bruce extending the cellar:
I bet Ioth might have something to say about this since he has ranks in profession:miner and kobolds are the best/speediest miners - even better than Dwarves. In fact he and Berwin both have pickaxes and Vlax probably has mining experience too. I was wondering about asking Bruce if we could add on to the cellar for other reasons. If Bruce wants to keep it a secret, doing it in-house might be simplest as well as fastest. Depending on the rock type Ioth could clear about 10' cube a day I think, probably as good as six humans working at it.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-29, 06:13 PM
THAT would be because he's a calm person and tries to get answers to what's going on before acting in any way. Confusion was the primary element here, and not treachery or danger.

Zan's tone grew a bit curt as he stood up. "Fighting without intent to hurt? That seems a little pointless." He tried to remember if maybe, during his childhood, he had ever scuffled with other children as they often did. However, nothing came up. "No.... that's just odd. Why would people ever do that?

souldoubt
2008-01-29, 06:23 PM
(yesterday)

Sharing in Shiela's smirk in spite of himself, Ulysses excepts the hand up. "Indeed. A somewhat... ignoble ending, but a good fight, nonetheless."

Dusting himself off, he turns to Zan. "We weren't fighting to injure each other, just to test our mettle and keep in practice -- keep our swordsmanship as keen as our swords."

Looking around the rather empty yard, an idea starts to form in his head. "We could make this into quite a training ground if we put our minds and our backs into it. We could even hold little tournaments of sorts, for some friendly competition between guildmates."

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-29, 06:45 PM
(yesterday)

Sharing in Shiela's smirk in spite of himself, Ulysses excepts the hand up. "Indeed. A somewhat... ignoble ending, but a good fight, nonetheless."

Dusting himself off, he turns to Zan. "We weren't fighting to injure each other, just to test our mettle and keep in practice -- keep our swordsmanship as keen as our swords."

Looking around the rather empty yard, an idea starts to form in his head. "We could make this into quite a training ground if we put our minds and our backs into it. We could even hold little tournaments of sorts, for some friendly competition between guildmates."

Shiela
"I was thinking the same thing, actually," Shiela admits to Valeris "As a matter of fact - I also seem to recall that there is a way to enchant a weapon so that its edge doesn't kill - much in the same way that someone weapons can be wrethed in magickal fire or cold - and such a power can be deactivated for when such measures are needed. I'll have to remember to mention that during the S.P.A.M. meeting."

The fighter thinks this second part aloud as she removes the horse blankets from her impliments. "That would certainly and quite easily deal with the weight and balance issue during the fighter make the whole thing more closely approximating an actual fight."

Shades of Gray
2008-01-29, 06:47 PM
(Yesterday)

@Plans for Training Gounds:
That seems'like'a good idea

How'ver Eldon told me there hasn't been a trainin' room for a long while. somethin' about drunk fighting.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-01-29, 09:26 PM
Ioth, who had been meditating and spending most of his time thinking to himself, finally strayed outside his room and ventured downstairs, when Bruce pulled him aside Ioth inquired {In Common} A Cellar? I'm not one to brag, but I, like most Kobold, am a skilled and adept miner, perhaps I could help.

rockdeworld
2008-01-29, 10:46 PM
"If it's the same man I just saw outside, I would guess he isn't there anymore." Kyte mentions smoothly as he sidles up next to Matthew.

"Interesting coincidence that we both came to the library tonight." He tells Matthew, his emotionless tone at odds with his words. "Why are you here?"

DavidByron
2008-01-29, 11:45 PM
Coincidence? Please. You obviously followed me here Kyte. Anyway we're here because Zaara asked me to help her translate a book. It's the least I could do after the trouble this afternoon. So you see there's really no reason for you to hang about.
Nothing to see! Nothing to see!

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-30, 03:31 AM
Zaara

"No, that was the librarian who just left. Look there."

Matthew and Kyte poke their heads into the library and see Jeff immersed in books.

Bruce
"Hm, perhaps that is a better idea if we keep the dungeon - I mean cellar - an inside job. Thank you, Ioth - I'll provide you with any materials you need. In the meantime, I'll tell the laborers to work on your training area instead. What sort of facilities are you looking for? An archery range, a grappling ring, some exercise equipment? We could theoretically make these indoor facilities, though that would raise the price considerably. We may have just enough room in the front for a small equestrian area, Pelor knows those gardens have gone to seed long ago."

Bayar
2008-01-30, 03:56 AM
Jeff

While studying, Jeff completely lost the notion of time. Realizing that it was late, he decided to go back to the guildhall and come back tomorrow.Maybe I should get some paper, a tekil and Ink...so that I can write some of this down...

tekil=quill pen in elvish

If Jeff finds Lankin in the guild hall: Ah, hi Lankin. I require your services. Can you get me some ink paper and quill pen by tomorrow? I will pay for it. But if it is impossible to get them that soon, or if you dont have contacts that can get them...I will find a shop around here somewhere...And with that, Jeff goes towards the sleeping quarters, takes off his armor and weapons, and calls it a day.
I intend to spend 2 skill points on level up on Speak language skill...to know how to speak elven...you can never know too many languages :smallbiggrin:

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-30, 09:14 AM
Zan stared at Shiela. The cleric had seen a lot and could handle the notion of fighting, but never before had he heard of..... fighting for fun. But if the others accepted this....

"Alright...... to hone your skills, then. And that's why the blankets were wrapped on your weapons... so they wouldn't cut each other. I think I get it now, even if I still think it's pointless."

DavidByron
2008-01-30, 09:27 AM
Jeff!
I bet that's the first time anyone's called him "scholar"
He must have been here all afternoon.

To Zaara:
Don't worry; this man is another member of my guild. See, he has an Adventurers' Guild insignia. Matthew also indicates the badge he wears.

Bayar
2008-01-30, 11:16 AM
Dont think that Jeff saw you...and you would be surprised about what Jeff did before joining the guild...lets just say he is known as someone other than Jeff in other regions...he has a multitude of identities....

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-30, 11:57 AM
<Yesterday still>

Shiela
"Training is never pointless. Now I have a feel for how my team-mate will react in a fight. I know how to move to best help him, and he knows how to move to best fight alongside me.
Well, maybe not know, but we have better ideas.
Also - fighting alongside someone bonds you to them - at least a little bit, promotes camraderie, team spirit, and all that good stuff. I certainly have more respect for Sir Valeris now than I did when he stepped into the Guildhall. You may know Relgion, Magic, and whichever diety you worship to an expert degree, but I know people and group dynamics.
I also know some fancy tricks with a sword and shield."

Sheila explains to Zan methodically. Before touching her bruised arm.
"That being said, I'm going to go sleep off my exhaustion and bruises. I'll see anyone who wants to show at the S.P.A.M. meeting"

And with that, the red-head bows formally to the Knight and heads to her rack in the guildhouse.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-30, 12:11 PM
Zaara
"Very well. I will presume that I can trust all of you to keep to youselves what we do here tonight. Come with me."

Just as they turn to go, Jeff walks out of the library, and Zaara looks visibly relieved.

She leads Matthew and Kyte into the library and, producing a large key from a ring on her belt, unlocks a gate leading to section of bookshelves surrounded by metal bars, like a jail cell. She selects a book, opens it, and turns to Matthew, with Kyte on the other side of her.

"I've been teaching myself Draconic from the books here, but I have no-one to instruct me in the proper pronunciation. Also I have searched and searched but I can find nothing to tell me what this symbol means."

The book is open to the spells "Flare" and "Dancing Lights." The words are in Draconic, and the symbol is one that any trained arcanist knows indicates the point during the incantation at which one performs a somatic gesture.

Lankin gets the materials Jeff requested and places them at the place in the Common Room where Jeff usually sits, where he'll be sure to find them.

DavidByron
2008-01-30, 01:05 PM
Very interesting. This is the identical layout to my grandmother's tome I think... I'd have to compare them side by side if you don't mind? Matthew struggles a little to retrieve his spell book from his inside pocket, still on the end of it's chain he opens it to a page which looks very similar to the one in the volume Zaara has.

I wonder if you could trace an arcane lineage by comparing the exact wording punctuation and ordering of these cantrip pages? They must have been copied and recopied by every generation for thousands of years. Very minor changes in punctuation might be carried forward once the mistake was made... Hmm.

To answer your question this glyph has no pronunciation at all. It's a symbol of punctuation ... like ... like for example a quotation mark is not pronounced although you might change your intonation slightly if you were reading a book and came to a quote. In this case this mark means ... you know these are spells being described, right? This mark means the next few words Matthew points to the next few words on the page are a hand sign used to trigger the memorized spell.

If you were to say the name of the glyph itself it would be "solvo".

Tell me, are you interested in talking to wizards or to kobolds? I didn't know this myself until recently, but apparently there are a small number of kobolds living in Bridgeport. I've never seen any but there's a kobold in the guild who says so. Perhaps they live in the underport and never come out? I've never been there.

The "underport" is like a Chinatown for small/short subterranean races within East Bridgeport -- nothing to do with "underdark"... at least as far as Matthew knows which isn't much.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-30, 01:44 PM
The white-haired gnome woman watches, wide-eyed, as Matthew produces his very own spellbook and traces his fingers easily across the pages. She holds her breath a little as Matthew explains the glyphs, nodding in understanding. When Matthew asks if she would like to meet wizards or kobolds, her face lights up with girlish excitement.

Zaara
"Wi- .... K-Kobolds? Would I? Oh, yes! I..." (flushed, she realizes how childlike she must seem and lowers her voice) "You see I... have ambitions of becoming a wizard myself..." She looks back at the books, her face hidden from the much taller men.

DavidByron
2008-01-30, 02:24 PM
Hmm. If this is a list of cantrips then I wonder if they have any Necromantic spells... I've never had a chance to see any of those.... logically they ought to be just a few pages over... That would certainly be a big difference between this book and my grandmother's "lineage"... so called "forbidden knowledge"...

If Zaara is OK with Matthew touching the other book he will try to turn the pages to see if he can spot an unfamiliar cantrip where he guesses the Necromantic cantrips would be.

Becoming a wizard eh? Like I haven't heard that one before. still... she has been learning the language... I don't know how it is among the Gnomes but with Humans it's mostly passed from master to apprentice within families. Is anyone in your family a wizard? I have heard that the Elves have great colleges of magic. I don't know how Dwarves handle it...

But learning Draconic is a good first step. I understand your excitement to find another speaker of the arcane tongue. I was happy to find some others at the guild. It's a shame that your boss seems to have taken such a disliking to the guild... at least some of us. What with the guildhall being so close I can imagine you'd have plenty of people to talk to in Draconic.

Do you think there might be some way of getting around that unpleasant business? As I understand it the high priest asked him to discover how poison got into the library. If the investigation were to exonerate us perhaps the ban could be lifted?
better wait for Kyte to comment

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-30, 03:31 PM
((Yesterday))
Zan was left to think, even with the others standing there.

Fighting others as training increases bonds with the others? ....
((End of yesterday for me.))
---
((Today))

Did Zan ever find that book?

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-01-30, 03:37 PM
Ioth pondered and said {In Common} Well, I don't require much, just some area to practice with my spear he considers it some more, but can't really think of anything else he would need if you'll excuse me i should retrieve my mining pick, will you meet me later so as to instruct me on how you would like the cellar to be made?

Zyks
2008-01-30, 03:55 PM
Vlax

Having failed to remember to actually do anything for a while, Vlax promptly plops back into existance in the guild house common room.

Thymin
2008-01-30, 04:05 PM
Dravick:

Feeling better from his hangover, Dravick opens his eyes to see that the Dwarf had come into the common room at some point. He leans his lute against the wall and goes over to the bar where the dwarf is. "Good day master Vlax, I daresay it's not too early for an ale. What say you?" Then he turns to Ana, and says, "Could I bother you for an ale, my dear? And come to think of it, a spot of lunch would be nice as well. Thank you."

Zyks
2008-01-30, 04:20 PM
Vlax

'Tis never too early to have an ale Dravick!

rockdeworld
2008-01-30, 08:51 PM
better wait for Kyte to comment
You're good. Kyte isn't all that interested in comparing symbols in books anyways :smalltongue:
Also...
[roll0]
Kyte follows Matthew and Zaara in silence. Walking through the halls, he remembers the specific location of the book he read earlier, and makes note of where he is going, so as to be able to find his way back. When Matthew and Zaara begin conversing, Kyte watches quietly, and when Matthew excitedly leans over the two books to compare them, and Zaara turns to hide her face, Kyte quietly slips away.

Although he moves quietly, Kyte walks with purpose, and soon finds himself back among the same rows of books as he had the same morning. Slipping on a pair of gloves he had borrowed from the guild earlier in the afternoon, Kyte finds the red-colored book with black letters on its spine exactly where he left it, and pulls it from its place on the shelf.

"On Death" - the words seem so much more ominous, with Kyte having experienced the effects firsthand. Taking the book with him, Kyte returns to where Matthew and Zaara stand, still examining the book with symbols unfamiliar to Kyte. As he returns, he hears the last of Matthew's words:

"...perhaps the ban could be lifted?"

@Bonecrusher_Doc: If I've taken a few too many creative liberties, let me know. Also, if you rule that "Contact" poison works through gloves or clothing, let me know so I can edit my post.

DavidByron
2008-01-30, 09:36 PM
Kyte.... where's he gone now?
Oh there you are. Look this poison thing is pretty serious. Do you remember what you did and where you went this afternoon? Could you retrace your steps? Did you touch anything?

rockdeworld
2008-02-01, 01:06 PM
One thing I don't think I emphasize enough is Kyte's eyes... Think of someone who looks bored, or half-asleep - how their eyelids are relaxed. Kyte looks like that.

"Yes." Kyte replies when Matthew finishes speaking, ambiguously answering one of his questions, or all three. He lifts the book that he found in the library in front of him, careful not to let it touch his body, or the other two, anywhere that skin might be exposed.

"This is the book I looked at earlier today, and the reason I came back here tonight - it interests me, and I would like to read more of it." He turns to Zaara, and motions towards one of the seats in the surrounding area. "If you don't mind..."

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-02-01, 02:11 PM
Zaara raises a glossy white eyebrow, but walks around Matthew to take a seat.

Zaara (whispering to Matthew as she walks past him)
"I've never seen that book before."

Bruce meets with Ioth and Berwin (their picks in hand) and any other interested adventurers in the basement. Next to him, on a sheet of canvas, is a pile of 6 inch by 6 inch by 6 foot timbers. He produces a sketch of his dungeon idea.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/AdvGuild/basement.jpg

Bruce
"Well, what do you think? I know I still need to get a good door we can bar from in here, and I'm not sure how we're going to divide it into individual cells, but I imagine digging the hole is the hard part!"

Don't worry about using game rules too much for cubic feet of dirt dug, etc, as long as you don't say "after only half an hour, Berwin has dug an enormous underground palace, complete with central heating and A/C."

MK Kilmarnock
2008-02-01, 02:34 PM
Heading upstairs with a good book in hand, Zan set his scythe onto the floor and sat down somewhere in the hallway to read. Nobody would bother him that way, and he hadn't read anything interesting in a while....

DavidByron
2008-02-01, 02:57 PM
Matthew looks at the book. "On Death...?" Just the sort of thing I'd expect Kyte to take an interest in somehow.

Kyte, where did you get this book? Can you show us please? Matthew's tone is patronising but without animosity or impatience. Like he was talking to a child.

rockdeworld
2008-02-01, 09:35 PM
[roll0]
Nice roll - does that mean success?

Kyte raises an eyebrow slightly at Matthew's statement, and Zaara's. Patronizing... He thinks to himself. And does she not trust me? Why not say that aloud? When he answers, though, there is no hint of anger or mistrust in his voice.

"Just be careful not to touch it." He says with reference to the book, then answers Matthew's main query. "Yes. Follow me."

With a quick turn, Kyte leads the way back to where the book sat on the shelf before he removed it. There is a small space the size of the book in Kyte's hands between two others. The way Kyte holds the book, it is obvious he is being very careful with it, as though it were a delicate and expensive piece of craftsmanship.

DavidByron
2008-02-01, 10:26 PM
Matthew looks around to see if the book appears to fit with the others on the shelf Kyte has led them to.

To Zaara:
I think it might be an idea to remove --carefully-- the two books on either side until they can be determined to be quite safe.

Is this part of the library normally restricted? And when you say you've never seen this volume (indicates the book Kyte holds) before, do you mean that it is not part of the library's collection? Or are there some books you wouldn't be familiar with?

I don't know poison... is there any safe way to determine if this book really has contact poison on it or not? Perhaps we could lift trace amounts with a blotter?

rockdeworld
2008-02-01, 10:43 PM
"There is a way." Kyte replies to Matthew's question. "But you would know it better than me. A spell."

DavidByron
2008-02-01, 11:36 PM
Matthew reddens.
Ha.

Uh... W... While that is true I'm not sure that such a proof would be acceptable to the head librarian since he appears to distrust both of us and is unlikely to just take my word for it.... But I agree it would be the best way to make sure there is no more poison hidden around the library.

It will take me a few minutes to prepare the necessary spell.

Normally of course Matthew would have to wait until the next day or 8 hours of rest anyway. However because he wanted to have slots free to cast Hypnosis on Kyte today and he didn't know how many times he'd have to cast it, Matthew left his spell slots free for today. As a result he can learn any spell in his spell book within 15 minutes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#wizardSpellSelectionandPreparatio n).
Pretty lucky.

When preparing spells for the day, a wizard can leave some of these spell slots open. Later during that day, she can repeat the preparation process as often as she likes, time and circumstances permitting. During these extra sessions of preparation, the wizard can fill these unused spell slots.

Waiting on Zaara's responses and then Matthew will take 18 minutes (1.5 levels of spell out of 5 levels of spells total that Matthew can cast = 30% of an hour) to learn three Detect Poison cantrips.

I'll need to be free from any (Matthew looks at Kyte) distractions.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-02-02, 09:19 AM
I think it might be an idea to remove --carefully-- the two books on either side until they can be determined to be quite safe.

Is this part of the library normally restricted? And when you say you've never seen this volume (indicates the book Kyte holds) before, do you mean that it is not part of the library's collection? Or are there some books you wouldn't be familiar with?

Zaara
(replying to Matthew)"This part of the library isn't restricted, and it's not that it's impossible that this book hasn't been here for years, it's just that I have never retrieved this book for anyone, nor have I ever seen anyone reading it before.
Perhaps you can prepare your spells while he tells me what this book is about (turning to Kyte) - why are you interested in this book?"

DavidByron
2008-02-02, 09:25 AM
Matthew takes himself off to a library table some way away where he can't hear the conversation. ... Not that he wouldn't mind hearing it. ... Not that he's a gossip or anything either. Hey, that part's actually true, he isn't. ... Not that anything else I say about Matthew isn't true either of course!

OK, OK, calm c-a-l-m.
Matthew sets down to memorize three copies of Detect Poison.

Bayar
2008-02-02, 10:27 AM
Jeff

Cant sleep.Need a drink.Jeff goes to the common room, dressed only in his clothes, no armor or weapons.Hey Dravick ! Seems that you enjoy to have a drink in the evening. Greetings to you too Vlax.Then to Ana:Can you give me a mug of sereg?....oh, I mean ale :smallredface: . Taking the booze, he sits at his usual place...where he notices the stuff. Good old Lankin, resouceful as always. He drinks from his ale, while inspecting the ink, quill and pachments.

Daryk
2008-02-02, 08:33 PM
Marko Ratkotruljevic hesitantly approached the gate of the Adventurer's Guild shortly after dawn. Bruce had given him directions, and told him to "bring a shovel". He'd spent the previous afternoon and his last two gold pieces finding one. It beat being turned down by his Gnomish brethren for work, but it put more of a dent in his dwindling finances than he'd hoped. Work was work, though, and if he couldn't find a ship to take him, digging cellars would be it. Working up his resolve, he strode up to the gate, rang the bell, and waited patiently for a response from within.

DavidByron
2008-02-02, 08:51 PM
Well it looks like I'm going to have to start a new scene before I finish role playing the library scene which happened as it were a couple of days ago. This is happening soon after teams A,B and C get back from their first adventures. Bruce has talked about building a new dungeon in the cellar, because we have a few prisoners:

*The young woman captured by team Adder
*The woman and gnome captured by team Cougar

In fact this is pretty much what is going on in team Adder thread right now too and I've asked some people to drop by for cameos who can advance the plot there, but for just general chat and stuff probably best to do it here.

Also I couldn't help noticing that there may be a plot tie-up here.
Team Adder have found an interesting dagger. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3878754&postcount=266)
Team Cougar have found a similar knife. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3878673&postcount=249)
Both taken from women who attacked the guild.

Matthew is putting up a notice near the front of the guildhall advertising some of the weapons team A has found in its recent haul.

Does anyone need the use of the any of the following items before they are sold?
light crossbows
crossbow bolts
daggers
short swords
morningstar
light mace
decorative dagger (red gemstone surrounded by swirly gold inlay)
and in small sizes:
curved dagger
morningstars
javelins
Please see a member of team Adder for details.
[hr]
Hearing someone at the door Matthew gets it. A gnome with a shovel in his hands.
You must be here about the digging. Hmm. I'm not sure if we need diggers now. The guildmaster decided to do the job "in house". But come in a sec and I'll find him for you. Why don't you wait in the common room through there?

Daryk
2008-02-02, 09:32 PM
Marko
"In house? Just my luck. But thanks. It's been a long walk from the Docks, and I could use a chair just about now," Marko replied, crestfallen. The friendly guildsman wasn't the master, so there was still hope, but it was typical of his experience since being shipwrecked up the coast. Gnomish superstition was holding true, it seemed: his luck got him ashore, and no further.

DavidByron
2008-02-02, 10:13 PM
Matthew, common room:
Yeah just stay there for a second. Uh... this is Vlax and Ian two other members of the guild. Can one of you guys get our guest a drink while I fetch the guildmaster? Make sure he doesn't pinch any of our loot Vlax!, he thinks as he leaves.

Matthew hurries off to find Bruce, as usual leaving little time for anyone to reply. Then he pops his head back round the door.

Hey, you don't speak Goblin do you? And then is off again.

Daryk
2008-02-02, 10:23 PM
Marko
"Uh, no, sorry. There haven't been any goblins in the Islands, in... well, ever, and they don't make very good sailors," Marko replied with a slight grin. Turning to Vlax and Ian, he added, "Thanks for the drink. The walk over here worked up my thirst. I'm Marko, by the way." The gnome stuck out his hand in a friendly gesture to whichever of the two had remained behind.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-02-02, 10:53 PM
Having read far into his book, Zan felt the urge to nap overcome him, and he slept against the wall, his scythe underneath him.

Bayar
2008-02-03, 06:20 AM
Jeff

Finishing his ale, Jeff takes the items he got from Lankin and heads up to his bed once again.

rockdeworld
2008-02-03, 12:53 PM
Zaara
(replying to Matthew)"This part of the library isn't restricted, and it's not that it's impossible that this book hasn't been here for years, it's just that I have never retrieved this book for anyone, nor have I ever seen anyone reading it before.
Perhaps you can prepare your spells while he tells me what this book is about (turning to Kyte) - why are you interested in this book?"
Why start a new day when this one is still going on? DB you leave too many loose threads -_-
"It caught my eye." Kyte answers with a dull tone in his voice. "That is all. Having felt its effects, though, I would like the chance to study it."

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-02-03, 01:11 PM
As Marko, Vlax, and Ian relax in the common room with their drinks, a young calico cat missing part of an ear bolts in from the back door, chased closely by a boy of about nine. The cat runs through Vlax's legs and out into the foyer, and the boy stops before he runs into Vlax and looks up.

Brelgan
"Hello Mister Vlax. Hello Mister Ian. (then to Marko) Hello, Sir. I'm Brelgan. My dad's the guildmaster. He's in the basement with Mister Ioth and Mister Berwin and Mister Matthew. He said that you should relax and finish your drink and then I'll take you down to the basement. I wouldn't hurry if I were you though. I don't think he really knows what he's doing down there."

(Brelgan stares at Marko for a few seconds, looking him up and down.)
"You don't look very much like the gnomes we have in our stable."

Everyone feel free to continue other subplots around this post - such as Zaara, Matthew, and Kyte in the City Library ("yesterday"), or Jeff, Dravick, Vlax and Ana in the Common Room ("last night"). Or feel free to show up in this subplot and get to know Marko, since he'll probably be joining the guild soon.

DavidByron
2008-02-03, 01:26 PM
Matthew is still studying at a table some way removed from Kyte and Zaara. His spell book is open at the rarely used Divination cantrips. Because he is trying to concentrate he doesn't overhear their conversation but he can't help thinking to himself, How is it that kid knew about the Detect Poison cantrips to begin with?

In theory I suppose all these sub-plots and different scenes in HQ IC are at different times so someone could appear in any or all of them. I try not to do that because its confusing. However I felt it was necessary to get the whole two daggers with a red gem and swirly gold thing out there immediately because it might have been holding up team threads otherwise. So I didn't leave the library at all.

Does Zaara want to react? If not I'll edit and say I'm done learning the cantrips.

Daryk
2008-02-03, 01:28 PM
Marko

Marko hopped off his chair and offered his hand to Brelgan with a smile, "Nice to meet you Master Brelgan. You can call me Marko. If your stable hands are locals, that explains that. I'd have to say you don't look like any of the humans we have in the Islands either." Marko was a little shorter than Brelgan, but not enough to have to crane his neck. After shaking the boy's hand, the gnome climbed back into his chair to finish his drink. The cool ale was refreshing after his hike from the docks.

I believe it's Ian who's in the common room with Marko, not Ioth.

Bayar
2008-02-03, 04:04 PM
Jeff

After a good night's sleep, Jeff feels renewed. He decides to not wear the armor, nor take all his weapons. He only takes his shortsword, which he secures on his belt.It is going to be a great day ! I can feel it.He goes downstairs, and into the basement, in hopes to find Patches. Instead, he finds Ioth, Berwin and Matthew.Hello gentlemen, mind if I join you ?

Zyks
2008-02-03, 04:35 PM
Vlax

Vlax shrugs, downs his drink and then heads down to the basement.

Daryk
2008-02-03, 05:06 PM
Marko

Marko watched the reticent dwarf depart, then turned back to Ian and Brelgan. "Doesn't say much, does he?" he asked conversationally.

Shades of Gray
2008-02-03, 05:32 PM
Durx bumps his head on the top of the door frame.

He looks at Marko.

Ow, hey who's the new guy?

Daryk
2008-02-03, 05:40 PM
Marko

Marko looked up at the newcomer, then kept looking up until he could see his face. In a small 'please don't eat me' voice, he said "I'm Marko. I'm here for the, uh, digging job. Nice to, uh, meet you." He gave his best smile, then remembered his manners, and stood on the chair to hold out his hand for Durx to shake.

Shades of Gray
2008-02-03, 05:46 PM
Durx bends his knees a bit, he can do it without any awkwardness (He's had practice).

I'could help with th'diggin', I'm sure to have picked somethin' from th'dwarves.

Daryk
2008-02-03, 05:56 PM
Marko

As Durx's massive hand engulfed Marko's, the gnome lost a little more color than he already had. "Y-yes! I'm sure you could help, uh... what was your name again?" he stuttered. His mind was turning over how short this job would be if the massive half-orc were to lend a hand. Forgetting the remnants of his ale on the table and shouldering his shovel, he suggested, "Perhaps we should talk to the Guildmaster about that, then?"

DavidByron
2008-02-04, 12:48 PM
Matthew finished studying his spell book and memorising the Detect Poison cantrips.

Alright then let's have a look at this book. He casts the first cantrip and examines the original book, "On Death" long enough to pick up some impression of the type and strength of poison and also briefly checks the two that were to either side on the shelf. Kyte since you have gloves on already can you turn those pages for me?

After that Matthew will use up the other two cantrips taking a cursory "sweep" of the library or as much of it as he can just to make sure no other sources of poison are around.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-02-05, 12:15 PM
Brelgan returns to the Common Room.

Brelgan (teasingly imperious)
"Alright everyone, my dad says it's time to start on the dungeon! He... um... I mean, the cellar! He says everybody downstairs, and I'm in charge of the bucket brigade to carry the dirt out to where we're building the archery backstop.

Down in the basement, Bruce is organizing the workers:

Bruce
"...there will be two of you using picks at a time, taking turns, and that fellow Marko will scoop the dirt into the buckets with his shovel, while the rest of you pass the buckets out to where I showed Brelgan to put it."

Shades of Gray
2008-02-05, 04:16 PM
Les' git to work then!

OOC: Is this hard rock? If I summon a celestial badger would it be able to burrow through it?

Bayar
2008-02-05, 04:40 PM
Jeff

*sigh*I cant work today guys...I have an appointment with the local...umm...tavern!...See you later!And with that, Jeff runs for it, into the house, into the sleeping quarters, grabs his quill, ink and parchments, which he tosses into his pack, puts his pack on his bag, jumps out the window...
1d20+2
...and runs some more until he arrives at the library.

Edit: messed up roll...will roll it tomorrow...

Zyks
2008-02-05, 04:55 PM
Vlax

Well, I;m not averse to labour. Where do you want me?

rockdeworld
2008-02-05, 06:40 PM
Kyte opens the book and flips through it, scanning the pages as he does so. The words "Assassin's Guild," "Spells," and "Weapons" jump out at him, as if they are chapter titles, and written in very neat handwriting. More interestingly, when Kyte returns to the front of the book after having gone through it, there is no author listed. After Matthew is finished, Kyte takes a seat nearby to begin learning what he can from the strange book.

Daryk
2008-02-05, 07:09 PM
Marko

Marko set down his pack and other gear in a corner away from the digging before setting to work scooping the earth and rock from the first pair of diggers' efforts into buckets for the others to cart away. It didn't take him long to work up a sweat, and soon enough he shed his shirt, mud-stained as it was. He didn't seem particularly concerned about the grime, though, and carelessly tossed it on top of his pack. As the day wore on, and the diggers rotated through, Marko became grateful for his sturdy gloves. Without them, he was sure to have had blisters despite his well-calloused hands.