PDA

View Full Version : Adventurers' Guild Headquarters IC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-19, 12:30 PM
You walk into the Common Room of the Adventurers' Guildhall. Ana is serving food and drinks, and there is a cheerful fire in the fireplace. Other adventurers come in, sit down and chat with whomever is there to listen, and wander back out again - some a little tipsier than when they arrived!

Zyks
2007-12-19, 12:50 PM
Vlax

Vlax goes and sits at the bar, orders a mug of ale, and sips it while watching the other adventurers come and go around the room. His Greataxe is leant against the bar next to him.

DavidByron
2007-12-19, 01:12 PM
Looks like Father Eldon is already back with some more recruits, Vlax. I guess our group was the first. I'll see if anyone of these late comers is up for the drinking contest.

And now for the library. If there are any other wizard recruits I bet that's where they will go.

Shades of Gray
2007-12-19, 03:13 PM
Durx takes a few pints of beer and sits on a couch. He quickly downs them.

(ooc: What can I say? Physical constitution of a Half-Orc, Drinking philosophy of a dwarf)

Well den. 'ows da' guild doin' t'day?

(ooc: British or Orcish? Only time will tell)

Rafe
2007-12-19, 03:39 PM
Aulric, Human Cleric

Near the fire, the priest with a shaved head pauses in scrubbing the grit from his robes, mail and boots. He casts his grey-blue eyes about the common room, hearing more enter. With a nod to Ana, he grabs a heel of bread and sips his beer, listening to Surian's strumming and the talk of the others gathered.

"It may be a busier eve than I'd first imagined," he mused.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-19, 03:40 PM
As Ioth walks into the Common Room, his eyes survey the assembled adventurers. he notices the Dwarf, Vlex or Vlax he recalls was his name, and then he notices the Half-Orc, though he is not very surprised, he has seen many half-orcs before, both with his tribe and after he had left. He walks to a stool not too far from Vlax and scrabbles his way to the top, plopping himself on it, and proceeds to look around the bar area again.

{In Common}
Greetings, Did I hear you say you were from the North? I too come from a mountainous region in the North, though the name of the region escapes me, where exactly is your home? Ioth asks of Vlax, hoping to learn something of the dwarf.

Zyks
2007-12-19, 04:13 PM
Vlax

Vlax turns towards Ioth nods and says "Yeah I used to be from the North, Cavern Stronghold place, near a river, but I forget the name. Under a dwarf called Ghadh Greathammer. He threw me out of the Stronghold. Apparently I was too violent and Barbaric to be allowed in the caverns."

Bribri
2007-12-19, 04:19 PM
Fin quickly brushes the hair out of his eyes, leaning up against the table, though he quite obviously doesn't order a drink of his own, not being much into that, though he quickly came up with a reasonable excuse. "Hm.... Dunno, Think it might be a good idea to keep a sober head. Will be signing those contract things in a bit, don't want to strike a bad deal cause we ain't thinking straight right..?

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-19, 04:21 PM
Ioth nods sagely at this.

At Vlax {In Common}
So you're a barbarian? Interesting, I've never met a Dwarven Barbarian before, though to be honest most dwarves I've ever met were too busy trying to kill me or destroy my tribe for me to really work out if they were barbarians or not Ioth said glumly, turning up bad memories of more than one seemingly random raid on his home. So what exactly did you do to warrent you're leaders ire? he asked quickly, trying to edge the conversation away from his own past.

DavidByron
2007-12-19, 04:28 PM
In the library, Matthew mutters to himself:
I've never seen so many different clerics from different faiths in one place.... well except that one New Year's party that turned into a fist fight.

Let's see-- the kobold worships "Io", Father Eldon had that horse symbol, then there's the bald cleric -- he seems like a nice guy -- and .... uh oh is this another one?

Description of Sharn:
Before you stands a man just under six feet tall. He wears a set of scale armor that has been shined to perfection, worn over a crimson red uniform unlike any seen in these lands. His wooden shield and large mace, along with the light crossbow hanging from his belt, are likewise kept in pristine condition. It is obvious that he does not keep himself under such scrutiny. His brown hair is thin and long from neglect, and his skin pale.

He does not speak of his profession, but he wears proudly the crest of Wee Jas around his neck signifying him as one of Her followers. He carries an expressionless stare, eyes focused on nothing in particular in the distance. You can't quite put your finger on it, but there is definitely something... disturbing about him.

I need some sort of "Demi-gods and deities" book or something.

Zyks
2007-12-19, 04:58 PM
Vlax

to Ioth:"Well first off I wasn't with the whole "Kill the kobolds" idea. I don't think race should matter. Most dwarves are fighters, but very few find they actually have the power to really let go in a fight. Anyways it kicked off in the mess hall once, I'd been getting worked up all day, can't remember what by now, but somebody pushed it too far, and I went beserk, killing the guy. Apparently it took 2 dwarvern defenders to restrain me. I was let off the first time, but when it happened twoce more within a month, ending in killing 5 others, the clan leader had me thrown out, and banned from all caverns. Though now when I think about it, I'm better off out here, with less rules to follow, and being able to choose for yourself. Anyway, how come your here? You don't see many kobolds around towns usually."

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-19, 05:08 PM
To Vlax
{In Common} Yes well, most Kobold stay within the boundaries of their tribes warrens, however there may actually be a few Kobold merchants around the town, selling their wares, though you'd never guess it he said this last bit with pride in his voice and a smile on his crocodile mouth I however, am no merchant. I left my lair in search of the greater glories of Io, the Ninefold Dragon, and to aid his works and dragon kind wherever I could find it. As to why I am here, I promised to bring back whatever wealth I could to aid my tribe, and any knowledge or lore that might prove useful, as well as to meet new tribes and to learn more things about my people. For all my eleven years of life I have known little more than my tribes lair.

I wonder when the mage will come here, I remember he went to the library, perhaps I should meet up with him. And what of the other adventurers here, are we all on the same quest? hm, I guess I'll find out eventually

Zyks
2007-12-19, 05:28 PM
Vlax

To Ioth {smiling} "Your definitely one of the good guys then, I look forward to working with you"

Vlax finishes his drink and orders himself another.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-19, 05:39 PM
Ioth smiles sourly, a look that, on his crocodile face, seemed more than a little off-putting No, I wouldn't call myself a "good guy" truly, though I am no evil doer, I am far from the paragon of good
putting such thoughts aside he said {In Common} Perhaps I should check up on the wizard, Matthew right? perhaps there he is researching something interesting, it was nice talking to you, hopefully we will live through the coming times and be the richer for it, in more ways than one And this time he smiled truly, though he wasn't sure this looked all that much better from another's perspective. Ioth slid off of the stool and headed toward the library.

DavidByron
2007-12-19, 06:12 PM
Thinking himself alone in the library:

Look at that! Lovely map they have on the wall and of course what happens is that everyone comes along and says, "Where are we?" and then they take their greasy finger and poke Bridgeport until the map is faded there. Hate that.

What would Abramelin the Mage do?

[I]I, Abramelin the Mage, will send your soul to hell for your many cartographic crimes! Bwahahahaha!!

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-19, 09:06 PM
As Ioth walks in he hears Matthew cackle in Draconic, curious as to the source he moves further into the library, when he spots Matthew standing next to the map, cackling for all the world like a mad dragon lord, his puzzlement increased.

{In Common} speaking draconic eh? pray tell, who might this "Abramelin the Mage" be, and why would he be punishing those guilty of, what was it again? Cartographic crimes? Ioth snickers, smiling ruefully ah, and whats this you're reading, if you don't mind my asking

{in Draconic} And just how much draconic do you know?

DavidByron
2007-12-19, 09:45 PM
Aha! An audience!

"Abramelin the Mage" is what's called a "stage name". He's a character I play sometimes in the act. A lot of Illusion is about appearing to be something you are not. In this case he's a very powerful sinister wizard.

As for how much Draconic I know, it's mostly stuff to do with the arcane. Technical words more than conversational. I was hoping I could get some practice on the "easier" words with you around.

[i]Now as for this tome it is a study of dragons with some information about Io. To summarize: Io is considered the progenitor of the dragon, the mother of all dragons, the creator. She represents, or rather encapsulates the nature of all dragons, both chromatic and metallic. Thus she encapsulates each of the supreme cosmic forces (Good, Evil, Law, Chaos and so on) in synthesis.

I translated what the book said there - is that correct?
[end draconic]

Hey, you know that sounds like the opposite of the Druid thing. Interesting ... I mean if you believe in all that cosmic force stuff.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-19, 10:01 PM
Ioth smiles and nods a little

{In Common}Mostly yes, however I believe either you misquoted or misinterpreted the meaning of some of it, you see Io is the Father of Tiamat and Bahamut, and is male, whereas you reffered to Io as She, unless the book is wrong, or I am, but I pride myself on my knowledge of the Great Eternal Wheel. And yes I would figure it would be somewhat different than the Druidic view, seeing as how they value all things "natural" and apparently Dragonkind does not fit into this perfect view of the world, though it is true that we are not "natural" however this is because Dragons, and therefore all Draconic creatures, such as Kobolds, were created by Io, and Dragons were forged into his image. But I doubt you want to here me drone on about the many legends of Io, especially as I have heard them, from the somewhat narrow view of many Kobolds. hah, listen to me droning on in lecture, when by Human standards I would be but a child, ironic is it not? Ioth coughs and looks away, a tad embarrassed by his lecture on the nature of Dragonkind The NATURE of Dragonkind? Hah, thats irony if I've ever heard it, and I've spent enough time with non-kobolds to be reasonably certain I have Then Ioth snickers a little to himself

As a side thought Ioth half mutters under his breath, as if thinking out loud.
{In Common}I wonder if we'll actually meet the other adventurers outside our little group, so far I don't think anyone has really spoken to anyone outside their groups.

DavidByron
2007-12-19, 10:26 PM
Hmph Guess I'm not the only one who can't tell what sex a dragon (or a kobold) is. Thanks for that misinformation Mr ... who wrote this? Sir Richard someone. Huh

I'm sure the priest of Io is correct on the "nature" of Io. And I'd like to hear some legends if you can stand to tell them as you would to a child -- and in draconic. Perhaps latter though...

If Io represents all the dragons does that mean ... I don't want to cause offense here but ... doesn't that include the Red dragon's ... I mean ... are you going to crazy one night and try and stab everyone with a half-spear?

The last sentence is rushed out all at once.

Or does it not work like that?

Come to think of it is that true of Druids too? If the power of Good is in the ascendant does a Druid seek to "restore balance" -- by increasing evil? But I'd never have asked a Druid if he was going to slit my throat with a sickle by moonlight.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-19, 10:39 PM
Ioth seems slightly taken aback, but he answers, speaking slowly at first Well yes, Io is the father of Bahamut, who created the metallic or "goodly" dragons, and of Tiamat, who is the mother of all Chromatic or "evil" Dragons, and all other kinds of dragons come from Io, but Io represents viewing the world from an objective point of view, of not taking sides, of balance. It was Io's original goal that Bahamut and Tiamat come together as friends and loved ones, not as hated enemies, Io believed, and still believes, that some day Bahamut and Tiamat will join together and create the perfect race of dragons, neither metallic or chromatic, or maybe both at once, regardless of this goal Io loves all dragons and all draconic beings, for they are as his children. And to answer you're question, no, I do not see myself murdering my companions in their sleep, it is not my way, and more it is not Io's way, I am your ally and as such from an objective point of view it would be great folly to go about murdering ones allies, especially in a heavily populated city. then after a moment Ioth says perhaps we should head back to the common area, I believe Vlax is still waiting for you to join him in that drinking contest, and from what I know of dwarves if you don't hurry up he'll start without you, also I believe there are many adventurers outside our party there, perhaps we should get to know them better, if were going to be staying in the same place for a while anyway.
then Ioth mutters in his barking draconic I hope there aren't any gnomes, wouldn't want for there to be a misunderstanding that might lead to a fight, ah but I suppose we must deal with these things as they come

DavidByron
2007-12-19, 11:06 PM
Ah I see. I deeply apologize if I offended you or your deity.
Matthew gives a brief bow.

[I]The quartermaster, Lankin, is a gnome. Upon request I can requisition supplies on your behalf.

[in common]
Let's go back to the common room then. And if Vlax has started drinking already then that doesn't count -- I warned him. Besides -- I have the feeling I'm going to need every edge I can get.....

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-19, 11:11 PM
{In Common}Haha, yes well dwarves drink ale like they live off the stuff
{In Draconic} I know about Lankin, but he seemed reasonable and didn't take offense to my presence, however I cannot say the same for many a gnome, or a kobold either I'm afraid, as you probably well know our racial hatred runs deep, and Kobolds are very slow to forget when it comes to revenge for past misdeeds against them, such is Kurtulmaks way

Ioth heads toward the Common Room behind Matthew, hoping against hope no one would attack him on site, as had happened a few unfortunate times before, and with this sad thought Ioth's head hung a little, why couldn't everyone just look at the world more objectively as he tried, and as Io does. Ah but then, it is not necessarily there way, he reminded himself.

Thymin
2007-12-20, 12:12 AM
Dravick sits along the side wall of the in the common room, watching all of the people come, go, and drink. He plays a lilting tune on his lute, and appears to be singing under his breath. After a few minutes of this he abruptly stops playing and leans his lute against the wall. He stands and walks over to the bar and orders a pint. As Ana pours it for him, he takes a seat near the Dwarf and says, “Master Dwarf, I would like to offer a toast to you on this, our first day as comrades in the adventurer’s guild.” He raises his tankard in a salute to the Dwarf, and drinks it down swiftly. He then orders another, and takes it with him back to his table to continue playing his lute. As he walks away, he says to the Dwarf, “Oh, my name is Dravick by the way, if you ever want to talk or have any questions, feel free to find me.” He smiles kindly and takes his seat and continues to compose his ballad…

Just then, he notices the Kobold enter the room. There are truly some interesting folks here. I think I will enjoy this experience even more than I originally thought.

DavidByron
2007-12-20, 12:48 AM
Matthew enters and listens to the composition for a moment. He is not bad on the strings that one, but I think his singing voice is better yet; professional quality... hard to say while he is being quiet. Perhaps later....

if your sheet is right you have 4 ranks more in Sing than Play Lute, right? if not I can edit this

Seeing Vlax at the bar, Matthew makes the excuse that he's still trying to round up other potential players for their drinking game (which is true enough and nothing to do with the fact that the longer he waits the more the dwarf will drink before they start).

Hey, when did all the ladies arrive? To nobody in particular. Finally he decides to approach a half-orc on the other side of the room.

Well that's a symbol I can recognise at last. The cross of Saint Cuthbert. My father was a convert. It's like an inter-faith gathering in here - so many different clergymen. I see by the tankard in your hand that Saint Cuthbert has nothing against drinking ale. Would you be interested in a friendly competition?

Zyks
2007-12-20, 03:38 AM
Vlax

Vlax joins Dravicks toast, but doesn't drink too much of his ale.

To Dvarick Would you like to join a drinking contest? we may aswell take advantage of this free ale. ANd it looks like Matthews recruiting people for it aswell

Thanatos 51-50
2007-12-20, 03:49 AM
Shiela Tailor

Descending from the staircase in her "casual attire" - that is, clothes and a cloak, (no shield, but carrying a sword) Shiela catches wind of the impending drinking contest and proceeds to procure some of the long tables.
"Of, course, I'll agree to graciously volunteer my services as a judge."

Bribri
2007-12-20, 09:07 AM
Fin added a few comments during Vlax's and Ioths conversation before the kobold left the room to chat with Matthews, close enough to easily be part of it, but not a whole lot. Keep in mind most of these comments were 'in the past'

Just can't seem to post as much as you guys. Too busy with work, and shopping hahaha. Oh well, lets give her a go anyway.

"Kobold merchant? Ioth gotta be the first 'kobold' I ever seen, so I don't figure there's any in town... but it ain't tiny, so might be one... somewhere.." when Vlax brought up the possibility of there being other kobolds in town, and

"He's a wizard?" Glancing back towards the direction of the library as they mentioned Mathews occupation, feeling a tad silly over his previous guess.

By the end of the conversation Fin felt a little more comfortable about Io, who seemed respectfull, and kind as any other priest he had met. Strange looks or not. And a little, less comfortable about Vlax, going 'bezerk' and killing a few people not sounding like the best of a history.

And back to the present

Now, his seat twisted around so he faces away from the table, leaning up against it, Fin waved as Ioth, and Mathew returned. Fin face palmed as he realized they were still going through with that 'drinking contest'. At this rate the only one left sober would likely be him, and that was going to be a problem seeing as he couldn't read a much past his own name. He gave a quick glance at Ioth. Well ok maybe the Critter will still have his head by then too. Gah gotta get out of the habbit of thinking that. 'Ioths' his name, Holy man, gotta be respectful no matter what he looks like.

Putting his worries besides him Fin kept a generally content expression, his left eye close, for no apparent reason at all (something he did very often which.. I forgot to note in his description!).

He let out a jovial laugh as Shiela volunteered to be judge, giving a grin "haha, gotta encourage ehm now don't ya?"

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-20, 09:51 AM
As Ioth entered the Common Room behind Matthew he saw Fin wave, and Ioth smiled, though he didn't wave back. He noticed more people had gathered in the Common Room from when he had left. He heads toward Vlax, and the man sitting near him. After Ioth again scrabbled his way onto the stool, feeling a bit foolish, he extended a greeting toward Dravik

{In Common} Greetings, my name is Ioth, I am a Cleric of Io, the great Ninefold, it is good to see some friendly faces, or atleast faces not turned in disgust toward me, though my presence is tolerated, I always feel as though I am being judged. Ah but I guess its probably more than I could ask if I were a human in a Kobold lair. But I'm rambling again, it is good to meet you, whats your name again?

I hope I don't SOUND like a fool atleast, of course ranting on about how I'm hated can't really help liven up the conversation. I guess I need more work talking with humans and other races.

Thymin
2007-12-20, 01:00 PM
Dravick:

Dravick thinks about trying to outdrink a Dwarf, and knows that he doesn't stand a chance, yet he thinks that he may have a drink or two with his new companions if only to improve the rapport.
"Sir Dwarf, I would gladly partake in your contest of drink even though I have no hope of winning," he smiles and says " but, there have been days aplenty when stranger things have happened." He takes a seat at the long table, and awaits the beginning of the contest.

He responds to Ioth's greeting, "Well met good cleric, my name is Dravick. I am happy to see that our group had member from all over the lands. I am a collector of tales and legends myself, so I always welcome new people and races. I guess it is a bit of a selfish interest, but nonetheless, it is good to meet you. I hope you will find that the rest of this city is mostly accomodating, and welcoming of your presence. Will you be joining us in our drinking contest? I daresay I won't be much competition, but I do enjoy the fun."

Shades of Gray
2007-12-20, 01:48 PM
Well that's a symbol I can recognise at last. The cross of Saint Cuthbert. My father was a convert. It's like an inter-faith gathering in here - so many different clergymen. I see by the tankard in your hand that Saint Cuthbert has nothing against drinking ale. Would you be interested in a friendly competition?

Yesh, but don't cheat. You 'ave to 'ave the sa'mount of ale's'me before y'start

OOC: My character speeks'in'slurs.

DavidByron
2007-12-20, 02:18 PM
Don't worry about me. Your real competition is the dwarf over there at the bar. I think he's already had four or five. Still I suppose I should have at least one before the official start..... and probably something to eat too. Name's Matthew by the way.

Matthew looks around to find Ana. He notes her mannerisms; her smile, the way her eyes move. She has an interesting way of using her hands to express things unspoken. A certain deliberation in her movements almost like a language of its....

Ooops, she's seen me staring at her! Ah no -- she just thinks I was trying to get her attention for an order. She's coming over.

Can I have an ale and a plate please?

DM comment from OOC thread: Ana has a certain poetry of motion that seems to express her mood, her spirit, etc. However, please everyone note that Ana does not do sign language or play charades

Thymin
2007-12-20, 03:00 PM
Dravick:

As Dravick over hears the slurred statement of the cleric he chuckles to himself. [I]Maybe I won't be the first out fo this competition after all...[I]

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-20, 04:02 PM
To Dravick:
{In Common} I dont really drink, though I may ask for the a little of the leftover mead to mix together, as a sort of ritual in honor of Io, as the blending of the many meads is a sort of representation of Io's own nature. By the way, is that Dwarf and the female over there in your group? perhaps one of them, probably the dwarf, might engage in this contest?

Bayar
2007-12-20, 04:32 PM
Jeff, CN Human Ranger

Jeff enters the Common room, gets a pint of ale, and sits at an empty table, playing with his shortsword (scratching his name into the wood to be more exact...)

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-20, 04:51 PM
The excellent Ana, overhearing the conversation, fills a dozen glasses with frothy, dark ale, places them on the bar, then hops up to sit on the bar among the ales, where she can graciously hand them to anyone who chooses to be a contestant (and where she can have a better view of the entertaining fools).

Bayar
2007-12-20, 04:54 PM
Jeff

Is it a party? Why all the beer?

DavidByron
2007-12-20, 05:31 PM
Ah yes the rules, the rules... at least a minute between rounds... you're out if you throw up, pass out or start foaming at the mouth. This lovely lady (winks at Shiela) has volunteered to be our judge, so she has the final say and can pull you out of the contest if you are too soaked to hold a glass.

Loser cleans up the mess.

Now gentlemen, this is a competition of honour not mere money --because we're all dead broke-- apart from the expense account most generously given out by our quatermaster for guild purposes only! So the winner gets bragging rights -- or what else could we have as a first prize?

excessive ale-drinking is handled as a weak poison (ie the competition is a series of Fort saves) see here for DM rulling (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3683884&postcount=76)

Bayar
2007-12-20, 05:38 PM
Oh, a drinking contest...count me in then!

OOC: so, will do fort saves each round to see if we dont throw up?

Zyks
2007-12-20, 06:09 PM
Vlax

Vlax smiles as more people decide to engage in the contest. There hasn't been many drinking contests he's lost before, but like Matthew says, this is about honour, not money. Though Vlax wouldn't mind losing to a worthy opponent.

OOC: Vlax has a con of 18, and of course has a racial bonus, and a base fort save of +2. He's not likely to lose easily :smallbiggrin:

Thymin
2007-12-20, 09:55 PM
Dravick:

After Ana places the mugs on the bar, Dravick stands and walks up to the bar, but before he gets there, he turns around to face the patrons, and he states in a loud clear voice, "What say you all, about this present competition? I propose that we get it started straight away so that the glory and honor be bestowed upon the rightful owner!

With that he grabbed a pint off the bar and held it high in the air. and began to sing a traditional drinking song.
"We drink! We drink! We drink!;
We drink and we sing!;
We drink and we laugh!;
We drink all day!;
We drink all night!;
We drink for glory!;
We drink for fame!;
We drink, we drink, we drink!"

After he finishes the chorus, he downs his pint.

d20+1Fortitude Save against the effects of alcohol.
d20+1Fortitude Save against secondary effects after one minute.

"That's one for me!"

He smiles widely and takes his seat. I guess somebody had to get this thing started...

Edit:

My dice rolls aren't working, here, so I guess I'll put them in the OOC thread.

DavidByron
2007-12-20, 10:29 PM
Applauds Dravick's drinking song.

To Vlax:
I think we better forget about that two for you, one for me thing with all the others playing too. Maybe next time?

Matthew stands up.
A toast to Elga, our gracious hostess, for putting up with us all.

He drinks his round and sits down.

Elga is Bruce the guidmaster's wife by the way.
It's really easy to mess up the die rolls if you haven't done this sort of stuff before :smallannoyed: . Eventually I managed to get the die roller to work (and failed both saving throws) in the OCC HQ thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3688568&postcount=96)

hyperfreak497
2007-12-20, 11:33 PM
Matthias

Drinking, Matthias thinks to himself. I don't suppose I should indulge. He wanders over to the table that Ioth stands at.

"Why, 'ello there," he says, looking down to the kobold. "Who's in our group, then?"

Are we Team Adder IC, too?

Bribri
2007-12-21, 12:20 AM
Fin Flow

Fin mostly just watched, not really seeing any reason to stop them now. Let them have them fun right? Besides, that bard wasn't half bad, and a little jovial acting was fine, so no need to be a stick in the mud about it. Of course, he didn't want to sit around without no drink at all. It's not as if he had much of what you could call a 'meal' today. Raising one hand lightly when Ana was near (and done getting the truck loads of ale for the foolish drunkards) he asked politely as he could "No Ale for me, but a glass of Milk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._T), Or Lemonade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro_Samurai) would hit the spot if ya got it. No rush; fellahs already got you running 'round a lot so I've no complaints for waiting"

Someones going to poke fun at Fin's choice of beverages now. hahaha Oh like I mind :smallamused:

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-21, 12:38 AM
{In Common} Could I please get some meat, or some bread, and maybe a little water? Ioth asks as he watches the drinking contest, then when he hears Matthias he says {In Common} Ah, so are you the other member of our group? I thought there was another member not in the Common Room.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-21, 03:56 AM
Ana serves up the new requests, then, smiling, hops back up to her seat on the bar. She crosses her legs and swings one foot in enthusiasm (nothing this interesting has happened in the Common Room for a while).

Bayar
2007-12-21, 08:48 AM
Jeff

Lets see who is the better man...dwarf...you get the point !And with that, Jeff jugs his ale down the old drinkhole.

Fort save 1:[roll0]
Fort save 2:[roll1]

Zyks
2007-12-21, 03:42 PM
Unceremoniously, Vlax grabs the nearest mug and gulps it down quickly, wiping his mouth on his arm.

Fort save 1 (with racial bonus) [roll0]
Fort save 2 (same again) [roll1]

(edit was because I messed up the spoiler code :smallbiggrin: )

DavidByron
2007-12-21, 04:15 PM
Standing up to toast:
To Bruce our honoured guildmaster, and provider of free beer!

Another round down - two.

The fortitude save DC is now 12.
[roll0]
[roll1]

I believe the results so far are:
Vlax - no fails.
Jeff - no fails.
Dravick - one fail, Wisdom down to 12.
Matthew - two fails, Wisdom down to 6.
Durx yet to roll, if he wants to hurry up. Same for anyone else. This will take a few rounds, maybe as much as ten to find a winner, although the loser may be clear pretty quickly. So if you fall behind just roll double. And we might start to roll two rounds at a time anyway just to speed things along.

Zyks
2007-12-21, 04:41 PM
Vlax grabs another mug, and simply downs it again (second one)

DC 12 now
[roll0]
[roll1]

by the way, how much does wis go down each failure? and are we just playing to last man standing/until everyone decides to stop?

hyperfreak497
2007-12-21, 05:05 PM
Matthias

Matthias laughs at Ioth's comment, and says, "Why, yes, I am in your group. I apologize for taking my time getting here. I was...considering the contract."

Avoiding eye contact, the rogue turns toward the drinking contest. "Are these our able-bodied compatriots?" he asks of Ioth.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-21, 05:13 PM
Ioth chuckles and says {In Common} The members of our group are the dwarf with the rather large axe, the monk, and the human wizard. Ioth says as he points to Vlax, Fin, and Matthew. {In Common} The others are members of other adventuring parties.

DavidByron
2007-12-21, 05:20 PM
Matthew stands up again.
To Bruce our....

To Vlax:
Oh wait. What are we up to?

He sits down looking a bit confused.

"If your Wisdom falls to 5 or lower you will suffer a gap in your memory of this time."

I seem to have hit 5 Wisdom in record time. To answer the question above, each failed save is -1 Wisdom (and one of them loses you Dex but that won't matter in this competition). I'm afraid Matthew might be unable to continue calling the rounds and probably won't last much longer. Probably a good time to mess with his head since he won't remember it tomorrow. Wait a bit for the others and then I'd suggest taking two rounds at a time.

Bayar
2007-12-21, 05:36 PM
Jeff, CN Human Ranger
Well, here I am , at a drinking contest against dwarves! A toast! For this moment to last for a lifetime!And with that, he does the old beer disappearing act of "Now you see it, now you dont"

[roll0]
[roll1]

Zyks
2007-12-21, 08:35 PM
Vlax laughs at Matthews low alcohol capacity, takes another mug, and quaffs it.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Number 3 done

DavidByron
2007-12-21, 09:25 PM
Matthew laughs as well.
Yeah, I'm pathetic, Haha.

I love you guys ya know that? Seriously.

That's number three!

Round 3 DC is increased to 14:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that Matthew can't hold his beer. Never could.

Anyway the competition results so far. Three rounds, six saves.
Vlax: passed all six saves. His Wisdom remains 12.
Jeff: passed 3 out of 4, yet to roll for round 3 at DC 14. Wisdom is now 10
Dravick: passed 1 out of 2, yet to roll for round 2 and 3. That's two saves at DC 12 and then two at DC 14. His Wisdom was down to 12.

Matthew passed 1 out of 6 and now has a Wisdom of 3 (started at 8).

If Durx or any latecomers want to enter all you have to do is catch up; six fortitude saving throws. Each one failed is -1 Wisdom temporarily (it won't effect the team threads). Any questions please ask them in the HQ's OOC thread.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-22, 12:14 AM
Ioth looks on in amusement as his fellow adventurers drink themselves silly
I never understood why people drink, I mean why would you deliberately reduce your effectiveness at any task you might attempt to perform? Ah, but perhaps is merely the way of their culture. I don't really see anyone out drinking Vlax, He seems like the kind of dwarf that could outdrink a brewlord!

OOC:
A brewlord is pretty much just a (generally) Dwarven tavern owner who is both a master brewer, and a master drinker, I hope its ok if I "add lore" to the world

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-22, 03:58 AM
Bruce walks into the Common Room in the middle of the drinking contest.

Bruce
"Hello everyone, I...uh..."

(he looks around the room, at the empty glasses and flushed faces. He raises an eyebrow as a dribble of saliva escapes from the corner of Matthew's mouth)

"...well, it seems that you're, uh, enjoying yourselves. Anyway, there may be a few prospectives coming in just to meet you and decide if the Guild is for them, so be friendly and...uh...show them a good time. Just remember you're all expensive investments, OK?"

Bayar
2007-12-22, 08:18 AM
Jeff, CN Human Ranger

Dont worry Bruce! We are all in tip top shape!*burp*Yup, nothing to worry about.And with that, he jugs another beer.

No 3 for Jeff:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Thymin
2007-12-22, 08:31 AM
Dravick:

Dravick downs his second drink, hoping that it doesn't hit him too hard. That Dwarf will be impossible to beat, but I'm going to give it a go.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Edit: Because the second one went down so well, he decides to down another to catch up with the group.

Zyks
2007-12-22, 08:36 AM
Vlax

Vlax is still sober, smiles at Bruce and says Don't worry, I won't put them off, though I can't say much for these drunkards!

He laughs, and takes another mug (number 4)

[roll0]
[roll1]

Thymin
2007-12-22, 08:47 AM
Dravick:

In an attempt to catch up with his dwarven companion, Dravick takes two drinks back to back.

2 rolls at DC 14, 2 at DC 16:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

"That's great beer!"

He then turns to Bruce and says, "Don't worry Bruce, we'll keep 'em entertained!"

ubersquid
2007-12-22, 09:01 AM
Berwin

Berwin enters the room and slowly retracts his hood. He then orders himself some ale and sits down on an empty table. He surveys the other patrons, occasionally smiling and moving his lips, inaudibly mumbling to himself.

His eyes look weary as always, as he takes a sip from his beverage from time to time. The people around him can notice a slight scent of decay.

Zyks
2007-12-22, 09:43 AM
Vlax notices the strange smell, but decides to forget it and downs another mug (number 5)

DC 18
[roll0]
[roll1]

edit: my first failure :O

DavidByron
2007-12-22, 11:34 AM
This place is great! Everyone's friends here. I love all you guys. Hey, Fin, you're my friend ain't ya?

Am I drunk?

[roll0]
[roll1]

Uhoh, I think I'm gonna .......

Matthew's out! Although to his credit he doesn't make that much of a mess when he throws up. Just a small amount.

I ... thin' I need to go pee.... Hehe "peeeeeeeeeee!!!" Where's the bathroom round here?
[hr]

Competition results so far:

{table]Competitor|Initial Wis|Round 1|Round 2|Round 3|Round 4|Round 5|Round 6
| |DC 10|DC 12|DC 14|DC 16|DC 18|DC 20
Vlax|12|pass|pass|pass|pass|-1 Wis|-1 Wis
Jeff|11|pass|-1 Wis|-2 Wis| | |
Dravick|13|-1 Wis|pass|-2 Wis|-2 Wis| |
Matthew|8|-2 Wis|-1 Wis|-2 Wis|-2 Wis|OUT!| [/table]

Zyks
2007-12-22, 11:43 AM
Vlax laughsJust a little bit!

He grabs another mug, now really enjoying himself

(number 6)

DC 20
[roll0]
[roll1]

edit: wisdom now down to 10, after 6 pints.

Bayar
2007-12-22, 02:55 PM
Jeff, CN Human Ranger

Hell no ! I wont give up !And with that he jugs 3 beers.
No 4 - DC 16

[roll1]

No 5 - DC 18
[roll2]
[roll3]

No 6 - DC 20

Zyks
2007-12-22, 03:16 PM
Just a reminder, Jeff needs to roll that 6th one properly :smalltongue:

Spurred on by Matthews defeat, Vlax takes another 2 in quick succession.

7th - DC 22
[roll0]
[roll1]

8th - DC 24
[roll2]
[roll3]

edit: wis 8 after 8 pints

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-22, 03:58 PM
Ana grows tired of these drunken sots and leaves them to serve their own drinks. She goes outside and returns with cleaning supplies, which she places conspicuously next to the contestants. She gives Fin a wink as she crosses the room and pulls a chair up in front of the small fire in the large fireplace. She sits with her feet up on the hearth, flings her long, dark tresses over the chairback, and closes her eyes with a look of contentment on her face.

Bayar
2007-12-22, 04:54 PM
oh, yeah...

Round 6:
[roll0]
[roll1]

MK Kilmarnock
2007-12-22, 10:15 PM
Zan Morseworth, Human Cleric
Zan walked into the pub, looking straight ahead, and made no wasted time in sitting down at the bar. He reached into his robe, and pulled out a flask. "If somebody would kindly fill this with the house's ale."

DavidByron
2007-12-22, 11:51 PM
At this point for anyone but Vlax to win would require rolling more than six natural twenties. Jeff's down to 3 Wisdom now so if anyone wants to mess with him, he won't remember it the next morning. HINT, HINT!

{table]Competitor|Initial Wisdom|Round 1|Round 2|Round 3|Round 4|Round 5|Round 6|Round 7|Round 8
| |DC 10|DC 12|DC 14|DC 16|DC 18|DC 20|DC 22|DC 24
Vlax|12|pass|pass|pass|pass|-1 Wis|-1 Wis|pass|-2 Wis
Jeff|11|pass|-1 Wis|-2 Wis|-1 Wis|-2 Wis|-2 Wis| |
Dravick|13|-1 Wis|pass|-2 Wis|-2 Wis| | | |
Matthew|8|-2 Wis|-1 Wis|-2 Wis|-2 Wis|OUT!| | | [/table]

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-22, 11:58 PM
As Ioth watches the competitors he sees the contestants downing ale, and laughs to himself as he sees the ale visibly effecting them, but effecting Matthew and Jeff the most, and when Matthew pukes and runs off to the bathroom Ioth gives a great barking laugh that sounds something akin to a Gnoll or a dog.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-23, 01:52 AM
Her fine, dark eyebrows as expressive as always, Ana gives Zan a quizzical look as she fills his flask with ale and returns it to him.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-12-23, 05:48 AM
The late-to-post Shiela

Shiela quickly pulls away those who have had too much to drink (Wis Lowered to three or less)
"Thats enough for ya'all. I'd get some sleep before going full-tilt into anything dangerous."

Zyks
2007-12-23, 06:11 AM
Vlax pauses, giving the others a chance to catch up on him, he is visibly affected by the alcohol, but not as hammered as Matthew or Jeff.

Thymin
2007-12-23, 11:43 AM
Still reeling from his last two drinks, Dravick takes two more back to back in a vain attempt to keep up with Vlax.

[roll1]

edit: oops, forgot to roll twice each, not that it matters though.

[ROLL=1 min later, drink 5, DC 18]1d20+1
1d20+1

Bayar
2007-12-23, 02:20 PM
Jeff, CN Human Ranger

I know you, you is memmy! I was so*burp*scared mammy! My wolfie bit my chest and there is, were, was blood everywhere. OOh, pixies...*stumbles*Come to Jimmy litter fairies! I wanna intorduce ya to tha pink flying mammaths !

((I had my fort checks -2 from actual, since I forgot about the +2 fort bonus from ranger, but what tha hay! lets have some fun *cracks knuckles* ))

DavidByron
2007-12-23, 02:51 PM
Hope nobody wanted to throw anything else onto the end of the drinking contest -- moving forward to the next morning for this scene, although I don't think we normally keep track of time very in the HQ IC

Next morning.
Matthew as promised is cleaning up after the contest.

Yet again I prove you wrong dad; I can organise a piss up in a brewery.

He is using Prestidigitation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prestidigitation.htm) that cantrip so loved by all apprentices, to help clean up the mess. One tankard at a time he concentrates, makes a hand sign and says a few magic sounding words and it becomes clean, like a series of miniature spells. The whole process probably takes about as long as it might have taken him to clean the mugs by hand, but what would be the fun in that?

Well that went well ... at least as far as I can remember... no blood to clean up.

Matthew begins cleaning the tables and floor which requires more physical work. The cantrip won't clean large objects so he uses a mop left by Ana, scrub scrub srcub ZAP! scrub scrub scrub ZAP! He doesn't need to rinse out the mop head in clean water or change out dirty for clean saving some time. But it's all good practise. Sometimes he has the mop push itself across the floor, but the cantrip doesn't have much shove to it.

Lovely word "Prestidigitation". Great spell too.

Matthew recalls some stories his grandmother would tell of the tricks she used to play with it when she was a kid. Like the times she would "ding" the town guards with the weak mind link that is used to practise all the Enchantment school spells. "Huh what's that?!?" every few minutes. Just a harmless little tickle -- until they were so mad they threatened to kick her round the walls "Even if you are a girl".

Matthew himself had never done anything that outrageous but he did like that trick where you block someone's mug with a flimsy seal of Abjuration force magic. Then when they tilt the mug too high, trying to drink, cut it off spilling ale on the victim's face.

And of course nothing was cooler than using Prestidigitation to snap your fingers and create a puff of flame to light a cigar.

Zyks
2007-12-23, 04:15 PM
Vlax wakes up quite suddenly, and with a crash. He had just rolled off the bar, which he had been sleeping on, and landed behind it. He staggers to his feet and rolls lazily back over the tabletop to retrieve his axe from the floor.

Wow, must have drunk more than I thought, can't even remember who won the contest

He stretches himself, and takes a weary look around the room.

Bribri
2007-12-23, 10:22 PM
Fin wasn't around in the morning, having headed home sometime last night after dragging the unconsciousness drunks out of the common room, leaving them to wake up with hangovers while he went to keep, an eye on his simblings.

I'll make him show up again when it seems fitting.

Bayar
2007-12-24, 10:52 AM
Jeff, CN Human Ranger

Stumbling in the common room, Jeff says: Mother and father of all headaches, what day is it? Ah, never mind, is there some greasy beef or something on the menu?

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-24, 11:42 AM
It is an ominous morning. The skies are filled with dark rainclouds, and the rumble of distant thunder warns of the storm that could come crashing down at any moment. Adventurers are gathered in the Common Room, some of them quietly enjoying some mulled cider in front of a cheerful fire, which helps to drive away the damp and the cold of this early spring day. Just then, there is a knock at the front door. Ana gets up to answer it, and returns to the Common Room smiling, escorting an elderly female halfling. The halfling is dressed in a simple black skirt, blouse, and shawl, and is supported by a cane of gnarled wood in one hand (the other hand is on Ana's arm). Ana brings her over to the nearest dwarven adventurer.

Old Halfling Lady
(In Dwarvish)

"Hail, Master Dwarf. I am Linda. My young friend Ana told me of your presence here. I grew up in a northern town, close to the dwarves, and I am afraid I do not speak Common. Also, Father Eldon is not willing to translate the halfling tongue to strangers, for reasons I appreciate, but it is still unfortunate. I am a diviner of sorts. If you would be so kind as to translate for me, I can give each one of you here some small glimpse into your future. I ask only a silver piece for each reading."

Zyks
2007-12-24, 12:11 PM
(Assuming the nearest dwarf is me)

Vlax looks up, and listens. After the woman is finished he says loudly so everyone can hear him: "Hey! This woman doesn't speak common, so for you lot who don't understand dwarvish, she's a sort of seer, and she'll give us a glimpse of our futures for 1 silver piece"

{In Dwarvish} "OK then, I'll go first"

Vlax beckons for the woman to sit with him and hands her a silver piece.

DavidByron
2007-12-24, 12:22 PM
[in Dwarvish]
Sounds like fun. You go first Vlax; I'm just finishing up here.

As it happens most of the PCs can speak Dwarf or Halfling and half the ones who can't just haven't filled out their free languages. Dwarf is a popular choice among Northerners and people who travel a lot up and down the river. Halfling is popular with locals.

Bayar
2007-12-24, 03:20 PM
Jeff, CN Human Ranger

Ooh, seer me next please! and he readies his silver coin.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-24, 03:25 PM
Ioth eyes the halfling suspiciously, any race with such close ties to Gnome's always aroused his suspicions, but Io taught the subjective view, and from such a view he could see nothing of suspicious nature. {In Common} I am intrigued, this is a sort of divination yes?

DavidByron
2007-12-24, 04:17 PM
Matthew smiles. Yeah, "sort of".
How about I translate for you? That way I can go straight from Dwarvish to your native tongue.

Don't worry; my Dwarvish is very good.

This should be interesting. I wonder what she will make of Ioth?

hyperfreak497
2007-12-24, 04:19 PM
Matthias, not comprehending the woman's speech, waits for Vlax's translation. Having heard it, he retakes his comfortable seat. Seeing his future does not interest him; the future is crafted by the present.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-12-24, 04:40 PM
Shiela eyeballs the hlafling woman suspiciously. It could be a sham, but regardless, being divined was great fun.

The day was colder than the last, and Shiela had recently bathed, having yesterday's clothing set out on her rack for washing later, gripping the cider mug in cold, long-fingered hands, she smied at her compatriots clambering over their potential fortunes. After slipping a silver coin underneath her mug, she called out, directing her voice to the halfling woman, instead of the translator.

"There is no rush, but I will gladly purchase a fortune. If you desire, I can knit you some new, warmer clothes, in lieu of cash payment."

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-24, 05:02 PM
{In Common} that would be very nice, and I have no doubts about your skill with the dwarvish language Ioth says, beeming, obviously very interested.

MK Kilmarnock
2007-12-24, 11:24 PM
Zan uttered his word of thanks when Ana filled up his flask. He then watched with interest at the woman Ana brought in spoke to a Dwarf in a dwarven tongue. Knowing from an old mentor the dwarish language, Zan listened with intent to both sides, Common and Dwarvish. He muttered to himself quietly....

"The old woman can see the future? I'm... not sure if I could handle such knowledge if it were true.... but I need to know if..."

So, Zan wearily stood up and walked across the floor, attempting to center himself in the group that wanted divining.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-25, 07:37 AM
Linda does not respond to anything in Common, so if she responds to your comments, that means I'm presuming someone is translating them into Dwarvish for her.

Linda
(to Shiela) "Thank you, child, but I was raised in the North, and cool days in Bridgeport do not bother me."

"Now then, first Master Dwarf with the axe here."

With help from Ana, who seems to be familiar with these types of readings, Linda and Vlax are placed in chairs facing each other, very close together. Linda produces and lights a small brazier, which produces a small amount of light, sweet-smelling smoke which Linda and Vlax both breathe, curiously without coughing. Linda leans forward, and with her diminutive right hand she takes the muscular left hand of Vlax. Her left hand she places on his right temple. She closes her eyes and bows her head for a few moments of silence. She then brings her hands down, inhales the incense through her nose one more time, and twists the top of the brazier to contain the smoke until the next reading. With eyes half-closed, she says,
"This is very curious. I had a vision of you standing alone on a stone floor. You had no weapons, no armor...in fact, your hands were in shackles. You looked upwards, and spoke as if you addressed many people. The words I could not hear. This vision itself is not so strange, but the emotion that accompanied the vision...it was not anything like fear, or regret, what I would expect from someone in chains. Instead I felt confidence, even joy. Most curious."

Linda gestures for the next adventurer without waiting for any questions. Jeff takes the seat opposite the old seer, and she repeats her ritual of incense and the laying on of hands.

"Young man, even before the clouds of temporality had fully cleared from my sight, I sensed a moment of great importance. I believe my vision depicts a choice you must make some day which may chnage the very nature of your soul. I saw you on a high mountain. You were accompanied by at least two other persons, whose faces I could not see. You were all running, fleeing from something. Then you arrived at the end of the mountain, and all that lay before you was the sky. You turned and saw that which pursued you, and it filled you with dread. Young man, you then looked to one side of you, and what you saw there you knew would bring you safety, but also unending loneliness. To the other side you saw great peril, but also comfort. How those two sensations can co-exist I do now know."

Linda then opens her eyes fully and leans back in her seat as the sweet smoke dissipates again. Her seat is fortunately one of several in the common room that are sized for a small person.

"If you have questions I will try to answer them, but please understand I have told you everything I have seen and felt. Once there are no more questions, I will soothsay for the next person."

Zyks
2007-12-25, 10:14 AM
Vlax goes and sits at the bar, looking puzzled, and takes another pint.

Well that was strange. At first I thought maybe a trial of some sort, perhaps another incident like that in the cavern. But then the joy and happiness? Thats strange/

Thymin
2007-12-25, 12:00 PM
Dravick:

Dravick hears the futures of his companions and decides to hear his own. He sits patiently waiting his turn and absentmindedly rolls a silver piece back and forth across his knuckles.

Bayar
2007-12-25, 12:28 PM
Jeff, CN Human Ranger

Umm...can someone translate what she said?I am more familiar with the language of animals than of other races...

Zyks
2007-12-25, 01:44 PM
Vlax translates for Jeff

DavidByron
2007-12-25, 01:46 PM
Presumably Dravick heard Vlax translate for Jeff.

Matthew and Ioth are next in line.

Hey, that was pretty suspenseful stuff, Jeff.

Matthew smiles over Shiela's attempt to trick the seer into revealing that she can understand common. Maybe she can. But what would that prove? A little bit of showmanship mixed with genuine talent doesn't hurt anyone. And if she is a fake she's certainly worth the one silver piece.

[in Dwarvish]
Ma'am, are you even able to read the heart of my good companion, though he is a kobold, and has the blood of dragons in his veins?

[and then repeating the question for Ioth's benefit in Draconic]

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-25, 04:53 PM
The seer repeats the process exactly for each divination. Despite the profound effect some of her prophecies could have on her customers, she makes no apologies for what she sees.

After Dravick's session, she tells him, "My vision of you showed little. I saw you approach an object on some sort of table or pedestal. The details were not clear to me. I felt your heartbeat wild with anticipation, with excitement, but also with fear. As you came before the object, you stood still...it seemed to me you stood there for years, though my perception of time in these visions is often inaccurate. Finally you reached out, and as you touched this thing you so greatly desired, you were enveloped in flame, and I saw no more."

To Matthew, she says, "I saw you stepping carefully through the ruins of homes consumed by fire, and you were filled with sorrow and rage. Then, just as my vision was fading, I caught a short glimpse of something else - a crowd of people, and I felt relief in your heart."

"Now, I would be most interested in a session with the kobold. I have never done this for anyone but dwarves, halflings, gnomes, and humans; perhaps it may take me a little longer to find my vision, but I think I should still be able to see something of interest."

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-25, 05:37 PM
Ioth knew he was next, and sensed that the Halfling woman was too, and so when she spoke he stepped forward a little bit, he did not understand what she said, but was sure someone would translate her words into common or draconic for his benefit, for which he was profoundly grateful. Ioth's knowledge of the Dwarvish tongue was limited at best, mostly having to do with Dwarven writings which were writtin in Draconic runes.

MK Kilmarnock
2007-12-25, 07:35 PM
Zan was convinced enough with the on-goings of the seer, and pulled a silver piece from his pocket. He looked for some sort of line, or otherwise-quequed order as to not interrupt anybody else.

Thymin
2007-12-25, 09:34 PM
Dravick:

An anticipated object? Flames? That's odd, I don't know what I expected for a silver piece though. Maybe I'll know this instance when I arrive in it, or maybe it's all a hoax. Good fun though...

Thanatos 51-50
2007-12-26, 04:57 AM
Shiela

"That is very well understood, ma'am." Shiela mutters, mostly to herself at the old woman's denail of alternative payment, and withdraws her coin from underneath her mug, placing it upon the table directly in front of her, sipping hot cider and waiting for her turn to be divined.

ubersquid
2007-12-26, 09:44 AM
Berwin

Berwin stays at his table, but carefully listens to the translations, occasionally smiling an shaking his head.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-26, 12:46 PM
After releasing another cloud of incense, Linda takes Ioth's hand and touches his head. Suddenly she leans back and draws in her breath sharply, but she does not let go of the kobold. Within a quick second she bows her head forward again, her brows knit tightly with concentration. Finally she relaxes and speaks:

Linda
"I must admit, my vision was more intense with you, and I was not prepared for it at first. Perhaps you may understand if I compare it to taking a swallow of a drink that you thought to be cold, but was instead quite warm. The type of vision, however was the same. I saw you, kobold, running, looking over your shoulder as if pursued. You too were on a mountain, much the same as your friend here. But in your arms you carried a child."

Next she looks into Zan's future:
"I saw you wielding a staff of great power. You brought destruction down around you. And I could feel the struggle within you, the struggle to keep hold of who you are, or lose yourself in the power of the staff."

And then Shiela's:
"I saw you in a hall of great riches. There were coins of many precious metals, gemstones, and other treasures... but you trampled them under your feet in your haste. You were looking around for something else in that hall, something you desperately wanted to find."

After resting for a moment, Linda sits up and turns to face Ana. Speaking in Dwarven, she says, "Ana, my dear, you know I have never peered into your future? Come, I am most curious, and I wish to repay you for bringing me here." Ana gives her a small, shy smile but shakes her head.

DavidByron
2007-12-26, 01:03 PM
This hall is just the place for the telling of tales. I would certainly be fascinated to hear Ana's fortune -- wouldn't the rest of you? Matthew attempts to apply a little peer pressure, without being too pushy.... the same sort of voice he uses to try and get reluctant audience members to volunteer.

Now, I have heard that silver must always change hands in this type of transaction.... so... Matthew bows to Ana and offers her a single silver piece.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-12-26, 01:14 PM
Shiela

Shiela happily passes her coin to Linda with a smile and a friendly nod.
"My thanks, miladi."

The Fighter then muses over her fortune whilst sipping some hot cider.
A massive fortune would be a nice thing, indeed, and there were things more important, indeed, but she couldn't think of anything off the top of her head.

"Guess I'll learn later."

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-26, 02:50 PM
Ioth pondered the old seers words, and wandered what his place in the coming adventures truly held. Ahh, I could be here thinking all day and give myself a headache, but the Great Eternal Wheel shall reveal all when he sees fit, as is his way. And so Ioth stands in quiet contemplation.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-26, 04:07 PM
Ana somewhat reluctantly accepts the silver piece from Matthew with a polite curtsy, then gives it to Linda, who smiles and takes it, with an acknowledging nod to Matthew. Ana takes her place and Linda commences the reading. When the incense has once more dissipated into the high ceiling of the Common Room, Linda speaks, so quietly that the rest of the room can barely hear her words to Ana.

Linda
"My dear Ana, I saw you standing in a garden at sunset. Then I heard a beautiful voice. It was you, Ana... singing!"

DavidByron
2007-12-26, 10:35 PM
!!!!!

Matthew is speachless!

hyperfreak497
2007-12-26, 10:41 PM
Matthias looks up at this, clearly surprised.

Thoughts:
She can't...it's just fortune-teller nonsense...but stranger things have happened...gah, who knows...

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-27, 03:04 AM
Ana looks shocked as well, but as she feels everyone's eyes upon her, her look quickly turns to embarassment. Her face flushed, she does a polite curtsy and quickly walks outside and down the basement steps.

DavidByron
2007-12-27, 09:30 AM
Have you known Ana for a long time ma'am? I had thought her mute since birth ... or perhaps there was an accident?

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-27, 03:49 PM
You detect undertones of a deep anger in Linda's reply.

Linda

She was not mute at birth, nor was it an accident... but it's not my place to say.

MK Kilmarnock
2007-12-27, 08:35 PM
Zan shook a little from hearing his future told to him by the woman, who from others, he learned was named "Linda." With a nod and the best polite smile he was able to manage, he gave her his silver piece returned to his seat and continued thinking to himself about what sort of staff the woman mentioned. He was so stuck in this thought that he never heard anything about Ana's fortune. With the slight interaction he had with the woman, in fact, Zan was unaware of Ana's muteness. So there he sat, a blank face that only opened to a flask of ale.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-28, 05:06 PM
After a few awkward moments it appears that Ana may not be coming right back up from the kitchen.

Linda (in Dwarven)
"Thank you for your time and your coin, good people. I will show myself out."

She gathers her belongings and leaves the guildhall through the front door. The sweet smell of her incense lingers in the air, and you can still see faint wisps of smoke curling around the ceiling beams.

Bayar
2007-12-28, 05:39 PM
Jeff, CN Human Ranger

Something that can give me safety but loneliness...some bushes? If I hide in the bushes, will the beast kill my two companions?...and then peril and comfort...facing the danger with my comrades...well...seems that we will live and see...

DavidByron
2007-12-28, 06:52 PM
You better stick close to Shiela, Jeff. Apparently she's going to be wandering around treasure strewn halls and not bothering to pick up all the gold and gems!

And as for me, I better check my fire insurance....

That was weird about Ana though.
Hm.

As usual Matthew runs on without waiting for much of a reply...... and then turns to talk to Zan, the new arrival.

Hey, "staff of power", huh? That sounded pretty good. And you're.... what is that--- a symbol of Boccob? Are you an arcanist of some sort? I would have thought that sort of thing would be just right for you. I heard your church has staffs of power all over the place. Secret libraries full of spells and all sorts.

Zyks
2007-12-28, 08:16 PM
Vlax goes to the bar again and starts drinking himself silly...again

MK Kilmarnock
2007-12-28, 10:22 PM
Zan, as if though he had been asleep, twitched and started up when Matthew approached him. He looked at the man for a moment before determining that conversations were trying to be started.

"Uh.... yeah. You recognized the mark. You're... pretty perceptive." It was clear that he was having difficulty speaking; he wasn't good at hiding his discomfort with social situations. In an effort to be as polite as possible, Zan continued.

"There are plenty of staffs in the church that I attended, but... well, never got much of a chance to see them. I had many services outside of that building." Zan didn't say that the visions of a staff empowering his mind bothered him, and bothered him greatly. Such a wonderous item, favored by his god, causing destruction around him? How?

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-29, 07:46 AM
Eldon walks in to the Common Room, accompanied by a man whose age is difficult to discern. His face is weatherbeaten but not wrinkled, and his hair is black with silver streaks. He is wearing a simple jacket and pants of heavy linen, and sandals. He carries no weapons that you can see, but has a quiver-like bag slung over one shoulder with several scrolls protruding from it.

Eldon
"Pardon us, we're looking for young Fin. Is he here?"

human stranger (http://perryv.i.ph/photo/d/2992-3/colin_chou_smaller.jpg)

Thanatos 51-50
2007-12-29, 07:53 AM
Shiela

Shiela is brought out of her musings, and sits up semi-straight, examining the stranger quickly.
"Can I take a message? I'll talk to him when I next see him."

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-29, 09:03 AM
Eldon

"Please ask him to meet us in the library as soon as possible."

Eldon looks very serious, but the mysterious man nods to Shiela with a small smile and a hint of...amusement, perhaps?...in his dark eyes. The old halfling cleric and the stranger then leave the Common Room in the direction of the library.

DavidByron
2007-12-29, 11:27 AM
Assuming this is another day now; in the early morning and assuming Shiela looks around a bit and asks Matthew if he's seen Fin. Also assuming a little about Fin which seems in character - but I can change any of this
***Yawn**** Another late night....

Fin? He sleeps back at his family's house and then walks in every morning. He'll be here soon; he's as regular as the hours..... Hey, is that bacon frying?

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-29, 11:52 AM
Ana returns, looking more herself. Apparently she composed herself by cooking, because she now serves a very early lunch on the bar of thick slices of round bacon, duck eggs, and two large round loaves of the traditional dark whole grain bread. She takes some crudely carved wooden cups - small bowls, really - and fills them with cold water from a clean well-bucket reserved for drinking.

MK Kilmarnock
2007-12-29, 10:23 PM
Zan rubbed his forehead to fight off drowsiness, and turned once again to Matthew (assuming he was still nearby).

"Don't... don't take this incorrectly, but why do you take such interest in me anyhow? I'm not used to that."

I'm not sure, but I've become a bit clueless as to the time of day or night. I do assume that as the time of day changes, Doc notifies us, right?

DavidByron
2007-12-29, 11:18 PM
Thanks Ana; you've saved my life again!

Zan, right? Well I guess I'm trying to get to know everyone here. I think it's going to be useful to know a little about everyone. And also, Matthew thinks, figure out if any of them are spies But I recognised the symbol of Boccob because I'm a wizard too. That's right, he's the god of magic and Wizards isn't he? So I figured you were another wizard like me. Plus by the way you speak I'd guess you're from the Lake Heart region like me. laughing So I guess that means we must have been almost neighbours!

That last is said as a joke because the Lake Heart region is very large area just in itself, with many powerful and populous city states. However in Bridgeport it seems like every time you say, "I'm from near lake Heart" someone says, "Oh I have a cousin who used to live there", as if you're supposed to reply saying, "Oh sure, well I probably met him then."

Sit down here where the "bar crowd" sits. Closest to the beer, closest to the food, and of course closest to the beatiful Ana, our hostess. .... Oh don't sit there; that's Vlax's seat.

Layout of common room (http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/AdvGuild/guildhouse1.jpg)
Map of local area showing Heart Lake to the North of Bridgeport (http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/AdvGuild/guildmap.jpg)

MK Kilmarnock
2007-12-30, 12:34 AM
Zan did not respond to the Bridgeport joke as one would normally... in fact, he didn't seem to get it. I might be in the same region that you're talking about... I'm from a small village that is just about as north as one can get without crossing the southern line of Lake Heart." He took a quick sip of his flask before putting it away in a pocket located within his garb. "Also sorry to say that I am not what may be a 'wizard' by definition. I'm a cleric. And... I'm sitting at the bar. I can't get much closer to the liquor and your Ana than that, right? ... Matthew, correct? I may need your help. I'm... trying to get to know others too, but I'm not good at it."

Thymin
2007-12-30, 02:18 AM
Dravick:

Dravick enters the common room in the morning wide awake and hungry. He smells the bacon and heads straight for the scent, pulling up a stool at the bar right next to Matthew. "Ana, could I please have some of that delicious smelling food you are preparing?" He flashes a smile and then looks around the room. He notices the man next to him as if for the first time and says, "Excuse me Matthew, but I just found your face to be familiar. I hadn't noticed it at first, but I think I have seen you somewhere before. Have you by chance been in Bridgeport for long? I think that maybe I have seen you at one of the Taverns that I used to perform at frequently. Or perhaps it is just the way the morning sun is striking my eyes today." He strokes the hair on his chin as he thinks about where he could possibly know this northerner from. He is quite the drinker. It must be from one of my performances...

DavidByron
2007-12-30, 02:36 AM
Don't worry about it, Zan. There is a magical spell over the common room that makes people get on well. That's the way it seems anyway. Perhaps it's the whole "comrades in arms" thing. Apart from the Northerners I don't think anyone knew anyone else before they arrived here, but you quickly come to rely on your team. Now my team is the best of course (winks) and we hang out by the bar.

To Dravick:
Ah but here's an honourary member of the bar scene; Dravick. Zan. He's new. I was just going to try and explain the social scene round here to him because he says he find it hard to get to know people.

To Zan:
Over there in that far corner, you have the second team which is led by a cleric called Aulric (he's the bald, older guy). Three of them are Northerners and they all knew each other from some war I think. Aulric looks like some sort of old world king from a minstrel's saga. More at home on the battle field than on a throne. And he holds court over there. They are quite a serious lot and they have that Northern way of speaking. You know quite formal and polite sounding. And when they speak Dwarvish it's High Dwarvish like Vlax's, not River Dwarvish like mine.

The accent that is -- same language
Now over this side, sort of in the middle is the third team but instead of a king they have two princesses. The eldest is distant, striking and beautiful. She has skin as white as ice and sits enthroned within her own limbs, guarded by her faithful retainers. She doesn't say very much. (If you think you're shy...!!) The younger princess is just as pretty but otherwise the exact opposite. She has hair as red as fire and is full of life. Large and in charge, that's Shiela -- I'm sure you've already met her? Well both of them are pretty much impossible to forget.

"enthroned within her own limbs" refers to Iva's habit of sitting on a chair with her feet up sort of cross-legged like she was doing yoga or something
You'll have to imagine some of these people --- this place fills up more towards the evening.

To Dravick:
I've been through Bridgeport a lot in the past with an act under the stage name of "Abramelin the Mage". So you might have seen that.... smiling or perhaps I just have that kind of face that people think they've seen before?

Thymin
2007-12-30, 03:01 AM
Dravick:

"Ah, Abramelin the Mage, so that is you. I now remember where I know you from. You stole a great job from me one night. Well, stole isn't the right word, you earned the job. It was the show you stole that night. I have no ill will towards you though, because the next night I found a better place and I made even more money than I had been previously. I suppose you did me a favor." Dravick flashes a smile and eats some of his food that Ana has delivered.

MK Kilmarnock
2007-12-30, 01:39 PM
Zan listened to Dravick's short speech after taking in the scene that Matthew had described to him (with minor difficulty, as he had to stretch his imagination). Shortly thereafter, he decided to share a bit of a proverb with Dravick. "I had heard once, a long time ago from somebody, that dwelling on one's misfortune can only bring years of suffering that a minute's effort could have solved at the source. I'm pleased that you've managed to uncover the fortune in such an event that happened to you."

Zyks
2007-12-30, 06:26 PM
Vlax stumbles blearily into the room and wobbles over to the bar where he sits down, and promptly flops over the counter, asleep again.

DavidByron
2007-12-30, 10:47 PM
Matthew indicates the sleeping pile of Dwarf.
Have you met Vlax?

Bribri
2007-12-30, 11:13 PM
Just a quick note. I have added Fins siblings to the contacts/friends aspect of his character sheet. And updated his background to include information about his parents. It isn't a pleasant story!

Fin arrives at the guild with a bit of a scowl on his face, the morning not having been a pleasant one. When he had gotten home last night Drake, his younger brother, was no where to be found. Come morning Drake was thankfully returned; unluckly for Fin it was in the company of two guardsmen with plenty of unpleasant things to say about what Drake had been doing. Luckly one of the Guardsmen had known Fins father, and the families current state, and decided NOT to simply have Drake Arrested when he was caught trying to break into a nobles home the night before. The morning had been filled with yelling, and shouting, Drake showing guilt only over the fact he was caught as he barged out of the house, slamming the door behind him.

Still the walk to the guild-house had cooled Fins temper enough for him to keep a straight head, though the annoyed look wasn't about to leave his face. He walked into the common room giving a light wave, and a nod to those he knew well (Those part of his own group of course, and Ana) "Morning. Ya'll managed to get a full nights sleep after I'd hopes"

DavidByron
2007-12-31, 01:01 AM
Yes indeed we did, and if it looks like Vlax is asleep now it's only because he's getting a head start on tomorrow night's sleep.

Oh hey -- someone was looking for you earlier. He's in the library waiting for you with Eldon. Been waiting a good while now actually ... is everything ....?

The look finishes the sentence.

Bribri
2007-12-31, 01:36 AM
"Alright?" Fin says, brushing his hair away from his eyes "Can't say that it is. Drake getting himself in trouble again, thinks he's got the world figured out, and spent the morning yelling at him about it" He lets out a quick sigh shaking his head, quickly remembering they don't know who 'drake' is quickly explaining "My little brother thinks he can fix all our problems with somebody else's coin purse, and he's running out a'luck"

Distracted by his own little problem for a few moments Fin remembers Matthews original comment, silently praying it has NOTHING to do with a certain angsty teenager. "... Somebody to see me? Don't suppose the Fellah got a name?"

DavidByron
2007-12-31, 02:22 AM
Matthew faithfully repeats all the details he knows -- which is almost nothing.

I got the impression you weren't in trouble, but they appear to want some privacy for whatever it is. Shrugs

Thanatos 51-50
2007-12-31, 02:27 AM
Shiela

"He didn't give us a name - said he'd be in the Library, looked kinda amused at the goings-on, but our little Guildmaster was more than a mite nervous about the whole affair.
They're in the Library."
Shiela explains over her bacon, and quickly returns to the breakfast.

Bribri
2007-12-31, 03:00 AM
A quirked brow was Fins first response, though it was barely visible under his hair. He chuckles to himself "Ah, don't know if I should be worried, or excited now." he gives one quick shrug before moving along "Will have to see what the goings on are then, save a chair for me" With that Fin heads to the library.

Libraries: Quiet, peaceful places. Somewhere Fin might want to spend a lot of time if they didn't remind him of his flaws constantly. He walked in, giving the stranger one quick look over, before looking towards Eldon, standing a we bit more straighter then usual. "Good Morning, Father Highburrow" Got'a be respectful around a holy man right? "Fellahs said someone was here to meet me...." Fin says, glancing a we bit towards the stranger again, assuming that's him.

Well He certainly don't look like someone who's got a complaint about Drake, so this certainly ain't about that bugger this time.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-12-31, 03:07 AM
Shiela

Shiela answers fin by placing her boots on the chair across from her and saying something along the lines of "Shout if you need help" in between bites.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-31, 12:56 PM
Two hours later Fin returns to the Common Room, looking deep in thought, and carrying a leather scroll-case.

(This is what happened in the library, should Fin choose to relate it to the other adventurers.)

Eldon meets Fin in the foyer, and before ushering him in to the library, quietly pulls him aside.

Eldon
"Fin - I have not known you long, but I believe you have a great opportunity here. I trust this man with my life, and I believe you can too. All the same, no matter what decision you make, I request that you and the rest of the guild not make Phalen's visit here public knowledge, and by that I mean don't tell Bruce's wife, because then it will become public knowledge. It could <ahem> cause me some difficulties with my church hierarchy, with whom I am already unpopular."

Before Fin can answer, the two of them walk into the library. Eldon asks Fin to introduce himself to the stranger, and Fin complies. The stranger, upon gives Fin a small smile and stands up to greet him.

Stranger
"Well met, young Fin."

Something about the way he walks across the library reminds Fin of a panther, placing his feet with precision, but also power, as if he could leap high into the air at any point of his stride. He shakes hands with Fin, and before he releases his gentle grip, Fin feels something... an energy... collecting in his core, then shooting out of his body through his limbs and along his spine. Fin stands there amazed, trying to determine if the sensation was real or imagined, and if the man's handshake had anything to do with it.

The strange man looks to the old halfling. "Ah yes, Eldon, very astute of you, the perfect lump of clay!" (Then, turning back to Fin) "I beg your pardon, lad, you should take that as a compliment. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Phalen. Eldon and I are old friends - we love to argue philosophy!"
Eldon rolls his eyes, but the corners of his mouth turn upwards slightly. The man known as Phalen continues, "I represent a group known as the Brethren of Gaudeata, an ancient word that roughly translates to mean, "seeking order within." I concur with Eldon's opinion that there is strife and disorder within you, yet you wish it were otherwise. That is what Gaudeata is all about. We are not perfectionists, for perfection is impossible, but we dedicate ourselves to the journey towards perfection. We deem all who seek perfection to be equals, for no man is any closer to attaining perfection than another--all that matters is that they seek."
"I do not ask you to leave this guild. The Brethren of Gaudeata have no monastery. A warrior can seek perfection in triumph over his foes, just as a hermit can in his fasting and meditation, a father in raising his children, a cleric in his worship, or an artisan in his craft. Now then, Eldon tells me you can read a little. If you are willing, I will show you some beginning exercises which, combined with the study of our philosophy on this scroll, will not only point you in the direction of Gaudeata, but will also teach you the combat skills we have developed to protect ourselves and our interests, which you may find very useful in your present occupation." Again, Phalen displays his small smile...

The Brethren of Gaudeata are a Lawful Neutral organization, but tend towards Good.

Bribri
2007-12-31, 02:17 PM
Two hours? Pretty big gap haha, I imagin everyones done eating by then! Likely even gone onto other things. Should be reflected in their posts I hope.

Fin came out with, not so much a stunned expression, but one of thought. Trying to figure out the meaning behind much of what Phalen said. This 'inner order', and 'perfection' stuff didn't make too much sense to Fin right now. The world seemed pretty damn Chaotic to fin at times (particularly with the life he'd been living!) and much of the conversation dealt in areas that simply were new to Fin. The best comparisons Fin could come up with was his how he had to keep his mind in a fight. It was all an odd balance, between watching his opponents feet, and fists, and keeping his own footwork, and jabs in check.

For a second it all seemed to make sense, but then seemed as if it meant nothing. As he approached the others again he remembered The Good Fathers warning about 'gossip'. He neatly tucked the scroll into his jacket 'Can get Jenny to read this out to me at home...'

Fin takes a seat looking to be in a bit of a better mood then he was earlier (having forgotten about Drake for now) saying rather simply "Don't suppose I missed anything?"

Thanatos 51-50
2007-12-31, 02:23 PM
Shiela

"Looks like everything went well for you." Shiela said as she was absently mending a hole in one of her tunics.
"You didn't really miss anything, just some guy talking about some lich and we went and saved the world from aforememntioned Lich, and I'm famous now! Can you believe it? Me! Famous at sixteen!"
Shiela speaks the last part so that her boredom is clearly apparent through the dry sarcasam.

MK Kilmarnock
2007-12-31, 07:51 PM
Zan did look at Vlax, and seemed to take enjoyment in seeing the dwarf, despite the fact he had never met him before. "I suppose that, at some point in time, I would like to meet him." The next few events involving conversation between the others destroyed his attention, and he quietly resumed sipping on his flask... only he was fresh out. He didn't want to seem demanding, so he decided to look about the room for Ana.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-01, 12:06 AM
Ana motions for Zan to help himself behind the bar as she cleans tables.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-01, 12:14 AM
Zan nods in courteous approval and walks behind the bar, filling up his flask.
"Um... Ana? How long have you been working here?"

DavidByron
2008-01-01, 12:22 AM
Matthew is trying to track down Elga to ask her about "a question, perhaps, of some delicacy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3730672&postcount=167)"

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-01, 05:21 AM
Zan nods in courteous approval and walks behind the bar, filling up his flask.
"Um... Ana? How long have you been working here?"

Ana gives Zan her usual response to questions she can not answer with a simple gesture: a flash of a smile, then she whirls away to attend to some business in different part of the room, in this case tending the fireplace.

rockdeworld
2008-01-01, 10:31 AM
Kyte

Kyte walks into the Guild Hall with some wariness. He looks around, sees that lunch is being served, and takes a seat at the large table. His stomach growls as he approaches the table, and Kyte digs into the food waiting for him with a hearty appetite.

While eating, he listens in on the conversations around him, and looks around the room at the various people in his company.

Listen check, if you need one:
[roll0]

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-01, 10:37 AM
Shiela

As soon as Kyte takes his seat, Shiela visibly perks up.
"Oh! New Blood! Start talking, New Guy."

rockdeworld
2008-01-01, 10:43 AM
Kyte's empty, grey eyes dart to the girl sitting near him, and then move back to his near-empty plate of food. He ignores the question for the few seconds it takes to finish off his meal and fill his stomach. Then he pushes the plate away and turns to look at her, bringing her full into the gaze of his somber face.

"What do you want to know?" He asks, with a voice long-since dead to emotion.

DavidByron
2008-01-01, 11:07 AM
"Start talking, New Guy."
Good to see Shiela is working on her intimidate skill :wink:
[hr]
If Kyte has been approved by Bonecrusher to post here, can you please post some sort of description of him, that is, if you don't want to just post a link to the full character sheet in the OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3733459&goto=newpost)? Even if you want your sheet to remain a secret for now (which I would advise against) the others are going to want to react to what they can see of you. For example the other player with a secret character sheet posted this description about Sharn Vankessel (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3669171&postcount=4):
[hr]
Before you stands a man just under six feet tall. He wears a set of scale armor that has been shined to perfection, worn over a crimson red uniform unlike any seen in these lands. His wooden shield and large mace, along with the light crossbow hanging from his belt, are likewise kept in pristine condition. It is obvious that he does not keep himself under such scrutiny. His brown hair is thin and long from neglect, and his skin pale.

He does not speak of his profession, but he wears proudly the crest of Wee Jas around his neck signifying him as one of Her followers. He carries an expressionless stare, eyes focused on nothing in particular in the distance. You can't quite put your finger on it, but there is definitely something... disturbing about him.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-01, 01:59 PM
Shiela

"Well, you're new to our little organization, how about we get a bsic introduction, and then I'll introduce myself." Shiela explans off-handidly to Kyte as she mops up the last of her food.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-01, 02:30 PM
Matthew pokes his head out the back door and spies Elga outside by herself, cleaning clothes with a washboard and tub. She takes a break from her vigourous scrubbing, puts her hands on her lower back and stretches. Then she spies Matthew and playfully gives him an exaggerated sigh of fatigue.

Elga
"Ho, Wizard-Man, I don't suppose you could conjure me a tall glass of ale out here?"

rockdeworld
2008-01-01, 02:42 PM
"Alright." Kyte answers, nodding. "My name is Kyte. I've come here in search of a job... Something to do, at least for awhile."

Zyks
2008-01-01, 02:49 PM
Vlax starts drinking; lots and very quickly.

DavidByron
2008-01-01, 06:11 PM
continuing from:

Matthew pokes his head out the back door and spies Elga outside by herself, cleaning clothes with a washboard and tub. She takes a break from her vigourous scrubbing, puts her hands on her lower back and stretches. Then she spies Matthew and playfully gives him an exaggerated sigh of fatigue.

Elga
"Ho, Wizard-Man, I don't suppose you could conjure me a tall glass of ale out here?"

laughing
I am still working out the kinks on that spell. I always seem to end up with something that tastes like a cross between orange juice and mud..... although after five beers I'm told it tastes much better....

Hey, I do have a great spell to help clean clothes though (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prestidigitation.htm). Seriously, I don't know what I'd have done without it all those years traveling around without knowing where I'd next find hot water. I'd be glad to help with this lot indicates the pile of clothes waiting to be washed if you can fold while I clean.

Matthew sits down in the seat Elga vacated while she was stretching and gets to work. ZAP! See? Wizards are useful for something beyond slaying dragons and turning people into frogs. wink ... ZAP! And look - it does a good job with whites too.

Hopefully Elga will be happy to chat about this and that for a while, Elga folding clothes as Matthew cleans them. And Matthew enjoys a good gossip too, and will genuinely enjoy Elga's conversation for itself, but there is something especially on his mind he wants to ask about...

Elga, do you know that older lady, Linda, the Halfling? She was here the other day reading peoples' fortunes. She seemed to know Ana and Father Eldon.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-01, 06:50 PM
Shiela.

"Well met, Kyte, I'm Shiela. I'm a warrior, grew up around here, I'm trying to get out of my old man's hair, and besides - theres more to the world than Bridgeport, right? Thats why people make maps!"

rockdeworld
2008-01-01, 08:13 PM
"Yes..." Kyte replies. The girl could talk a lot if encouraged.

On the other hand, Kyte thought, it's better than doing nothing.

"It sounds like you'd like to leave Bridgeport." Kyte began, inviting Shiela to continue.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-01, 10:24 PM
Althea

"Well here goes nothing," Althea muttered as she walked through the open door. Bridgeport was a foreign land to the girl, and she was far from her element trying to find her way around. She was a lot more nervous then anything else, especially since this new Guild was what she hoped would be her new home for some time. It was odd How scared she was after traveling for some time to be afraid of what was their common room.

"Have some fun girl, they're a good bunch," the kind man at the door proclaimed. He shut it after her, leaving Althea feeling trapped within. She had heard of the guild some time ago, and had the same silly dream that she might be able to become famous by joining it. Or at the very least something better then what she had left behind. The man who told her only knew the barest details about the Guild, and could only give Althea the directions to Bridgeport.

She walked a few steps into the guild hall, looking around somewhat sheepishly. She didn't have much in the way of credentials, but she hoped she could get a job or something within the guild. It was a very clean room at the very least, though Althea avoided most of the people's eyes. It was furnished much like a tavern, though it looked considerably cleaner and more comfertable. Despite, Althea's shyness won over her bravery, and she quickly found a seat. Finding a job could come after she gathered up her courage again.

((Sheet in Sig, and everything. Glad to finally join.))

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-02, 03:12 PM
Elga, do you know that older lady, Linda, the Halfling? She was here the other day reading peoples' fortunes. She seemed to know Ana and Father Eldon.

Elga

"Oh my! You're right, it does do a good job on whites - I'll have to find you again next washing day! What's that... Linda was here? Oh, that silly old gal. I can't say I know her well, but every once in a while Ana will take some time off to go to the market with her. Only time I've actually talked with her was when she offered to tell me my future, but only if I would pay her three coppers. Can you believe that? Anyway, I think she and Ana were coworkers before Ana came to work for us; that's how they know each other."

Thymin
2008-01-02, 03:22 PM
Dravick:

Dravick notices the newcomers and is interested in finding out about them. He sees that the young man has gotten into a conversation with Sheila and decides to leave them alone for the time being. Wouldn't want him to feel surrounded... He takes a seat across the table from the new girl and says, "My name is Dravick, and I just wanted to welcome you to our group. Forgive me for saying, but you seem a bit shy. Don't worry, noone here will bite, just don't get your fingers too close to some of their food..." He smiles in a warm and friendly manner before leaning back in his chair and taking a swig of his ale. Then, almost as an afterthought he says, "Are you hungry? Ana makes some really good food."

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-02, 04:08 PM
"Yes..."

"It sounds like you'd like to leave Bridgeport." Kyte began, inviting Shiela to continue.

Shiela

"Of course I would, living in one place, knowing one set of faces, its not a good sensation. But this little chat session aint about me, you're the star of the show. Tell me about yourself, what skills do you bring to the table, have you been assigned to a team, yet?"

DavidByron
2008-01-02, 04:15 PM
Elga
"Oh my! You're right, it does do a good job on whites - I'll have to find you again next washing day!

Well I hope you do. It's good to find someone to chat to. Adventurers can be so dour sometimes. I'll remember to prepare the spell especially for wash days. No need for you to scrub if I can be of service and it's a small thing in return for all the hospitality the guild hall provides me -- and the trouble we adventurers must be to you!

Elga
What's that... Linda was here? Oh, that silly old gal. I can't say I know her well, but every once in a while Ana will take some time off to go to the market with her. Only time I've actually talked with her was when she offered to tell me my future, but only if I would pay her three coppers. Can you believe that? Anyway, I think she and Ana were coworkers before Ana came to work for us; that's how they know each other."

Adventurers can be a superstitious lot and Linda was very good. Very entertaining. She had quite a few customers (Matthew repeats a few of the fortunes provided by Linda if Elga is interested, and I expect she would be). I dare say she will be back again because she did some good business here.

But here's an odd thing -- at the end she read Ana's fortune, which she said was the first time she had done so, and saw a vision of Ana singing in a garden. At first I thought it might be an act but they both seemed genuinely surprised. A true vision perhaps. Ana was a little upset and embarrassed about it. She ran off and I asked Linda if Ana had always been mute. Linda seemed to be quite angry about something and refused to say much except that, "She was not mute at birth, nor was it an accident". Well that was quite a shock and I wonder what she meant because I would hate to say something to Ana that might cause offense or upset her or perhaps bring back unpleasant memories.

Do you know why Ana cannot speak?

rockdeworld
2008-01-02, 06:13 PM
"Yes, I was assigned to team Badger." Kyte answered, in a monotone voice that, if color could be ascribed to sound, matched his dull, grey eyes. "I can do whatever needs to be done." A few second's pause, then Kyte picked up again.

"What about yourself?" He asked.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-02, 06:46 PM
Shiela Tailor

Shiela leans back while Kyte recounts his abilties and team assignment.
"Whatever needs to be done, eh?" she responds quizzicaly, and leans foward, again, sizing the man up. "That almost sounds like you're challenging me to find something you can't do." with a twisted grin, the red-head flags down Ana.
"Can my new friend and I get a couple mugs of ale, please?"

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-02, 06:50 PM
Dravick:

Dravick notices the newcomers and is interested in finding out about them. He sees that the young man has gotten into a conversation with Sheila and decides to leave them alone for the time being. Wouldn't want him to feel surrounded... He takes a seat across the table from the new girl and says, "My name is Dravick, and I just wanted to welcome you to our group. Forgive me for saying, but you seem a bit shy. Don't worry, no one here will bite, just don't get your fingers too close to some of their food..." He smiles in a warm and friendly manner before leaning back in his chair and taking a swig of his ale. Then, almost as an afterthought he says, "Are you hungry? Ana makes some really good food."

Althea

Althea was surprised by the man who sat down at her table so quickly. She wasn't really used to getting attention that quickly anywhere, and she wasn't quite ready, stammering for a moment before speaking. "Oh, thank you. I'm not actually part of the Guild yet though. I want to be though. Althea smiled, a little caught up in talking. She didn't do it that often. IT felt good to hear his little food joke though. "Thank you for the offer, but I'm fine. I just need to get my bearings really. I'm kind of new to these parts really, so I'm not sure how everything really works. I'm Althea, by the way.

rockdeworld
2008-01-02, 08:41 PM
Ale... I'd rather not. No need to refuse, though. Someone else can drink it. Kyte stopped himself. Brooding could only lead one place, and Kyte didn't want to go there. Instead, he remembered the last thing Shiela had said before that. He turned to her again.

"Think of something. I'll do it." He said.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-02, 09:00 PM
Shiela

"Well, apparently, you can't read minds." she says with a grin. "Thats what the ale is for. I wanna see if you can drink me under the table."

souldoubt
2008-01-02, 09:29 PM
Ulysses Valeris, Human Knight

Having just arrived in Bridgeport and gone straight from the road to put his name into the guild registry, Ulysses decides to head to the guild common room to take his ease and scope out the proverbial lie of the land until he's assigned to a team.

His gauntlets stowed in his pack and his helm tucked in the crook of one arm, he enters the hall, striding purposefully to the bar and placing his helm down atop it. "A cup of watered wine, if you will, to wash the road's dust from my throat," he calls to the barmaid. Glancing around the room, he sees others eating what looks like a simple but hearty meal. He glances at one hand, realizing that he had better clean the dust from his face and hands before he gets anything to eat. "And a damp cloth, if there's one to be had, please."

Sitting, Ulysses sets about loosening the buckles on his armor and on the sword strapped to back, but doesn not remove them. A knight must always be prepared for combat... even one such as me, with no liege but fate and the will of the gods.

((Here's my OOC post: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3741588&postcount=184))

Thymin
2008-01-02, 09:50 PM
Dravick:

Dravick returns Althea's smile. "It's nice to meet you Althea. I have lived in this city for some years now, so if you need anything please feel free to ask. You seem like a good person, and I think you will make an excellent addition to the group. I look forward to sharing adventures with you, whether it be through shared experiences on the same team, or through experiences shared over ale here in the common room after the fact. I am a member of Team Badger by the way, "then whispering "We are the best team by the way, but the others are pretty good too."He then smiles slightly and says, "By the way, you have a nice smile, you should show it more often."

rockdeworld
2008-01-02, 09:56 PM
"No." Kyte replied shortly. He stood up, intending to leave. "I don't drink."

Thymin
2008-01-02, 10:09 PM
Dravick:

Overhearing the end of the conversation between Shiela and the new fellow, Dravick interjects. "Don't take her too seriously, she sat out the last drinking contest we had. But don't worry not everyone here is a drunk. Did I hear that you were assigned to Team Badger? If so then welcome aboard, My name is Dravick, and I too am a part of Team Badger." He smiles at the sad looking fellow, trying to cheer him up. "Pull up a chair and have some food at least. Ana is quite the cook. You do eat right?"

Dravick is also intrigued by the armored man (Knight?) who just walked up to the bar, but he decides that he has enough new friends to get to know for the moment.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-02, 10:25 PM
"That... that was odd. Why didn't she answer my question? She is awfully...."

In all fairness, I'm making a listening check about the conversation involving Kyte being in team badger, and also Ana's muteness.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-02, 10:36 PM
[roll0]
That should take care of it, if it were done right.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-02, 10:43 PM
Althea

"Um, thanks," she replied, looking down a bit. She felt more embarrassed now then she did moments earlier. She avoided his eyes, staring at the table before her. "I'm looking forward to it as well. Thank you." She paused for a moment, allowing her new freind to speak to another who was nearby. "Actually, I really don't know much about Bridgeport at all. So any basic knowledge about the city would be great."

rockdeworld
2008-01-02, 11:03 PM
Kyte turned to Dravick as he spoke, and nodded slightly at Dravick's mention of team Badger.

His voice is very bright. Kyte noted, and shook his head to indicate his declining of the man's offer of food - he had just eaten. He then turned back to Shiela, and shifted his head to the side, eyes boring through her once again.

"Perhaps you would like to try something different." He offered, yet with a voice still in a dead monotone.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-04, 02:13 AM
Do you know why Ana cannot speak?[/COLOR]

As Elga gathers up the laundry and walks back into the Common Room with Matthew, she says,

Elga
"Officially, no. What I do know is that she was once able to speak, and by some sort of magic she became mute. There is nothing physically wrong with her. More than that, neither Bruce nor Eldon will tell me - I think both of them know, but good luck trying to get that information out of them! And don't even bother asking Ana anything like that, she'll just run and hide from you. I've tried having conversations with that girl, but I've found out it's best just to tell her good morning and what chores to do, and leave it at that."

Placing the laundry next to the bar for the time being, she poors herself a tall ale and begins to sip it, leaning against the bar.

DavidByron
2008-01-04, 11:08 AM
Quietly, to Elga:
Wow. Sounds like some sort of curse. I had no idea. Well I have some knowledge of magic; perhaps I should ask Bruce or Eldon if I can be of some assistance.

Placing the laundry next to the bar for the time being, she pours herself a tall ale and begins to sip it, leaning against the bar.

Hey, looks like we have some new arrivals. Still got the old Prestidigitation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prestidigitation.htm) going.....

Anyone want their beer chilled? Matthew pours himself a drink and frosts over his glass with a little "Abracadabra!"

Wait, this one looks like another barbarian; I wonder if she is magic-shy. That might have been a bad move.

To Althea:
My name's Matthew. I'm an Illusionist. A bit like a kind of bard. barbarians like bards, I think.... everyone likes bards....

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-04, 12:52 PM
Elga

"Well, you can ask them, but don't let on that you got any information from me. It's supposed to be some kind of big secret, though I can't understand why."

Ana gives Ulysses the wine and cloth he asked for, then moves down towards Elga and Matthew to clean the bar, causing Elga to stop talking and focus her attention on her ale.

DavidByron
2008-01-04, 01:35 PM
Ah there's Ana now. Hmmmmmm. While she's busy cleaning the bar.... If she has some sort of curse on her I might be able to see it's aura and see how strong it is or what sort of magic.

casting Detect magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectMagic.htm).
[roll0]
Probably look around the rest of the room for magic too while I am at it, although I don't expect any thing of it.

rockdeworld
2008-01-04, 03:58 PM
Spotting the wizard and hearing him cast a spell, Kyte raises an eyebrow.

"Excuse me." He says offhandedly to Shiela, in the same dead voice as always, and walks over to where Matthew stands as he looks around the room with his magic-detecting eyes.

"I am Kyte." Kyte says, introducing himself with a small bow to the wizard, wherein he notices a spell book hanging on a chain. Coming up from his small flourish, Kyte attempts to invisibly lift Matthew's spell book off of him.

Sleight of Hand against DC20 to get the book [roll0]

So the book is attached to a chain. It seems this wizard is very protective of his spell book... This will be interesting. Standing up, Kyte reveals the spell book in his hand, and hands it to the wizard. "This is yours." He says in doing.

souldoubt
2008-01-04, 04:52 PM
Ulysses accepts the cup and cloth with cordial thanks, and drinks the thinned wine down in almost a single draught. Swirling the last of the liquid in the bottom of the cup, he gazes about the room at the diverse collection of adventurers, all clearly engaged in their own meals, drinks, and conversations.

They must see all manner of folk around here. This is the first "inn" I've come to on my journey where I haven't felt like the center of attention, he thinks. He finds it comforting, not feeling so many wondering and fascinated eyes upon him. He can't quite fathom what's so noteworthy about his appearance -- certainly it couldn't be just the armor; even in large cities he'd drawn a few stares.

Putting down the cup and taking up the cloth, Ulysses proceeds to wipe the dust and sweat of the road from his face and hands. He rubs a palm over his stubbly cheeks, frowning. I'll have to do something about that.

He hails the barmaid again. "I'll take some food now, please, Miss. And when I'm finished, I'd like to clean up some more. Is there someplace here that a man might be able to get himself a bath and a shave?"

DavidByron
2008-01-04, 04:59 PM
"Hello." Kyte says, introducing himself with a small bow to the wizard, and attempting to invisibly lift Matthew's spell book off of him while doing so.

Whoa! back up a second you just attacked another PC.

You certainly wouldn't get to "thumbing through the pages" before you got a face full of colour spray.

I'm not sure you can just steal equipment that you cannot see using sleight of hand either. You don't even know if the spellbook is on him (it is) or where it is on him, or whether it is trapped in some way (it is). If you really want to do this then do it one step at a time. Stealing a wizards spellbook and casually flipping through it in front of him - you're guaranteed to cause a hostile reaction.

BTW the spell casting thing is mixed in with the use of Prestidigitation. Matthew tends use somatic and verbal cues for his Prestidigitation effects, even though the spell description doesn't specify they are needed. As a result whenever he does something with Prestidigitation (eg the chilling of the beer) it looks like he is casting a spell. Therefore he can usually cast a "real" spell in there without it looking especially different, although it's certainly clear he's a spell caster and the distinction maybe moot for your character.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-04, 05:23 PM
((Going to assume that the spell book lifting didn't happen for this post. If it did, then this will be edited.))

Althea smiled again, watching the magic user perform his little trick. Magic fascinated Althea, though she had more talent at flying then conjuring flame and ice. She had only seen the most basic workings of magic, but she had yet to see anything that didn't astound her. As frightening as it could be, there was a grace and art to it that Althea admired.

((To Matthew))

"[It's a pleasure to meet you Matthew," the girl replied to him, bowing her head slightly in respect. She had more then enough questions that she could ask the wizard, but she tried to bite her tongue. A weakness for magic was something she should probably talk about a lot. "And I think I could get a drink. Something simple, if possible, like juice of some sort. If you'll chill it for me."

Zyks
2008-01-04, 05:45 PM
Also stealing from a PC might not go down too well with his party members. This one is currently a drunk dwarf barbarian, and could take it the wrong way :smallamused:

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-04, 10:41 PM
Regardless of whether or not he heard about Ana's muteness ((The roll to which seems to have been missed)), Zan got a few questions in his head. To solve such things, he walked to Matthew, the person who he was, by now, most acquainted with. "Hey, uh... busy?"

DavidByron
2008-01-04, 10:55 PM
Uh.. no, not busy.

Waiting to have my pockets picked? maybe.
trying to impress girls? possibly.
busy? no.

I was thinking about walking around town a bit today. Maybe visit the library. Maybe do some window shopping -- what's up?

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-04, 11:44 PM
Shiela

The lady fighter offers her ale up to be chilled (Assuming Ana figured out Kyte doesn't drink and supplies only one ale!), and sips it slowly. Its obvious from how she treats the ale that she doesn't drink much, and is certainly no where near the heavy drinkers of the Guild (therefore, her no-participation in the first contest. Why get involved in a game you'll loose handily?).

She shrugs her shoulders as Kyte walks away, smirking to herself and, as soon as hes out of earshot, taunts him with the muttered phrase "Looks like you can't do everything."

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-05, 01:38 AM
Ana serves food and drink to all who want it.

Elga
If you're wantin' to bathe, there are washtubs in the basement and a kettle of water over the fire down there.

(Results of Matthew's Detect Magic Spell)
There is a moderate aura of magic about Ana. She is under some sort of spell, and it was not cast by a beginning spellcaster - which may be expected, considering the spell is still active after years of duration.

Thymin
2008-01-05, 05:50 PM
Dravick:

"While you're chilling ales, my friend, mine could use a touch of frost." Then returning his attention to Althea he says, "If you are interested in learning about Bridgeport, I can help you with that." He flashes his everpresent smile before standing up and carrying his drink to Matthew to have it chilled.

DavidByron
2008-01-05, 06:51 PM
What the hell ?!?!? Thief!!!

As soon as Matthew notices the attempt to grab his spell book he casts color spray (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/colorSpray.htm) on Kyte.

Something like a taser from the description.
It has a DC 15 Will saving throw.
If you want to back up and do initiative Matthew's is [roll0] however from the description it's as if Kyte doesn't expect a hostile response for some reason so even if he won initiative I don't see he'd do anything with it. I assume Matthew can try and angle the spray such that it doesn't mess with other people around the bar behind Kyte, but he will cast it regardless.

souldoubt
2008-01-05, 06:58 PM
Elga
If you're wantin' to bathe, there are washtubs in the basement and a kettle of water over the fire down there.

"Thank you, madam." Ulysses finds he can't bow because he's sitting down, so he gives the woman a cordial nod instead. Then he returns his attention to his food and digs in to the hearty if simple fare.

I was going to head straight for the bath, but then I remembered I had a plate of food in front of me -- which provides a perfect opportunity to stick around and see what happens with the pocket-picking business! Edit: Okay, well there's part of the outcome. I guess DavidByron posted while I was typing. I'll revise accordingly, as follows:
A shout and a flash of bright light both explode suddenly from the other end of the bar, wrenching Ulysses gaze around. "What in all the hells--!"

Thymin
2008-01-05, 07:40 PM
Dravick:

Dravick arrives to get his drink chilled by Matthew just in time to receive a partial blast from Mathew's Color Spray. He screams in dazed confusion, "Argh! The drink! The drink! Not my eyes!" He drops his stein and begins to claw uselessly at the unknown substance in his eyes.

rockdeworld
2008-01-05, 08:15 PM
((OOC: Hilarious responses! I don't think rolling initiative matters - everything I wrote in my post happened, and Kyte wouldn't do anything during his "turn" besides wait for Matthew to take back the book.))

[roll0]
Kyte is stunned. The spell book falls from his hands, and he drops to his knees, then to the floor, unconscious.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-05, 08:33 PM
Althea nodded at the man who offered to show her around. It wasn't much, but it was more then enough. She smiled as he left, watching some of the other people in the bar walk around. It wasn't until her attention fell upon the wizard again did something fall drastically amiss. Or rather, other people fell. The sudden flash, the scream of thief, and the painful screams of her friend all boiled together.

A growl escaped the barbarian's mouth as she stood, knocking the chair back several feet as she did so. She felt her teeth almost grind together as she controlled her anger at least somewhat. Destroying the bar might not be the best way to try and join the Adventurer's Guild. Still, not doing anything would be even worse. A thief should never be tolerated, especially not one who would take another's life item like the wizard's book.

She drew her large blade roughly, holding it ready and by the thief. "Give the book back!"

((Just as a side thing, but Althea is close to raging))

((EDIT! Bugger, too slow. I think I'll leave it here for now though.))

DavidByron
2008-01-05, 08:50 PM
Quickly grabbing back the book....

Dravick! Don't worry you'll be fine in a few seconds. Walk it off, walk it off!

Damn, I should have listened more to K. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119654/quotes#qt0248584)

Dravick going for the role-playing XP (http://goblinscomic.com/d/20051202.html) I see.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-05, 09:46 PM
Shiela Quickly slams her mug on the table, and bolts to a standing potion, drawing her scimitar in the same motion and flipping her shield into a "ready" positon.

She caught a wiff of the Color Spray in her peripheral vision, and so raises the shield to cover the lower half of her eyes to deny it any chance of hurting her if it was through again. Even with just that little bit, she finds herself with trouble breathing, as if someone had driven a knee into her diaphram.

When the man she was just talking to ... Kyte was it? Drops to the deck, she relaxes about four hairs.
"By the Lady! What in the -?"

Bribri
2008-01-05, 10:02 PM
Fin, had mostly been lost in his own little world for a bit here. Eyes closed, Arms crossed simply thinking, and Zoning out as it were. Wondering what he was going to do about Drake, in addition to these new teachings that showed up on his lap. Of course, he wasn't Deaf either, and he heard Matthew yell THIEF just in time to open his left eye just in time to close it quickly as the room is suddenly turned into a light show.

Fin getting up, shaking his head, and seeing spots looks straight at our good mage, and then at the Fallen Kyte. "Gah.. wasn't an easier way to pull that off.....?""

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-05, 10:25 PM
Zan was located just over Matthew's sholder when the spell went off, thankfully not between him and Kyte. Still, he leaned back in surprise, as though he were almost hit. "Yikes... what was that all ***-..." Zan trailed off as it sank in what Kyte had tried. And, almost uncharacteristically, his eyes narrowed and he walked over to the fallen thief.

Zan was trying to say "about" and was cut off at the first three letters. Not sure why it censored....

souldoubt
2008-01-05, 11:11 PM
Hearing the cry of "Thief!" and seeing several people go down at the flash of the spell, Ulysses leaps into action, placing himself as best he can between the caster and the rest of the room's occupants.

"Stand down, mage!" he bellows, hand on his swordhilt, invoking the same tone of command he used to use on the parade grounds with his father's armsmen.
I'm gonna roll an Intimidate check here, just to give a sort of numerical baseline for how effective Ulysses's attempt to use his "drill marshal" voice is. Feel free to roleplay your own responses accordingly, or just ignore it, as you see fit. :smallsmile:
[roll0]

He sweeps a hard gaze across the wizard and the enraged blond-haired woman, sparing a glance for the collapsed "thief(?)"

"What's going on here? Why did you attack this man?"

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-06, 12:02 AM
"The moron at your feet tried to steal Matthew's spell book," Althea explained, her grip still tight on her greatsword. The flash of anger was passing, helped by how the thief was on the ground now. She relaxed somewhat, still watching the big man in front of her. He was far from small, and he remind Althea of a war commander. He had the intimidation aspect down at least. She was ready to defend the mage if she had to though. Course, just the right push would also send her over the edge, but she pushed that happy thought to the farthest parts of her mind.

"Of course, it also didn't get far. What are you trying to do now then?"

DavidByron
2008-01-06, 12:32 AM
Matthew's psycho-/nastier/deadly calm/paranoid personality tends to come out a bit more when he's being threatened by violence.....

Stand down yourself, stranger. Are you with him?

Matthew is all out of offensive spells at this point but he knows how to bluff. Seeing the knight has not drawn his weapon yet but has his hand on the hilt, he takes a similar prepared looking stance as if ready to cast another spell.

Are you two spies?

This is what happens when the newbies don't drink enough beer!

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-06, 02:24 AM
Shiela

Shiela Trusts Matthew.
She doesn't trust the armored man who sounds like a drill sergant.

Shiela leans foward on her toes , and quite visibly readies herself for a charge.

Zyks
2008-01-06, 07:36 AM
Vlax, being as drunk as he is, Laughs hysterically at all the goings on, eventually collapsing on the floor, still laughing.

souldoubt
2008-01-06, 11:03 AM
"I'm trying to restore order here," Ulysses says in response to the blond woman's challenging tone. Seeing everyone very on edge, he removes his hand from his swordhilt. This could go a bad way if I'm not careful. I don't want to fight this wizard or his companions if it turns out he was in the right. Kneeling down by the fallen "thief," he feels for a pulse. Well, at least the wizard's attack doesn't seem to have been lethal.

"My name is Ulysses Valeris, and I'm no spy," Ulysses replies as he straigtens up, bristling at the accusation. He glances down at the the prone form again. "I cannot speak for this unfortunate fellow.... Perhaps... his hands should be bound...?" Ulysses would prefer if the wizard's hands were bound too, but in this company it looks like he wouldn't get away with suggesting that.

"When he comes around, I imagine you'll both have to answer to the guildmaster to explain this incident." He eyes the wizard pointedly. "That is, assuming you're done attacking guildmembers for the day."

I hope that Ulysses rushing forward into a situation he didn't comprehend was sufficient for roleplaying a 9 Wis. :smalltongue: I think any further stupidity that might get him into a fight with the rest of the guild would drop him into the 6-7 bracket.

As to newbies not drinking enough beer, a knight does not indulge in such a vice. :smallbiggrin:

Zyks
2008-01-06, 11:26 AM
But a brbarian, especially a dwarf, does, in extremely large quantities. And since its free...

VLax is still laughing at how seriously everyone seems to be taking everything (it doesn't help that he's also hammered out of his head, and keeps falling over whenever he tries to stand up again)

Thymin
2008-01-06, 12:05 PM
Dravick:

As Dravick begins to regain his senses he is confused by what seems to be going on in the common room. Everyone seems on edge and Kyte is on the floor. What the heck just happened?!? He notices that both Sheila and Althea have drawn their weapons and Matthew seems quite on edge. "What is going on here?" Dravick screams, as his own hand drops to the hilt of his sword.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-06, 01:20 PM
Elga screams and crawls under a table. Ana, unable to join in the shouting, decides to influence the situation through a different technique. She quickly sets a a cask of ale on the bar, pops open the cask using an implement designed for that purpose, jumps up to stand on top of the bar, then picks up and swings the open cask so a wave of ale sloshes out and soaks everyone standing around the bar. Bruce and Eldon enter the room just in time to be splashed in the face by the flying ale, leaving them sputtering and bewildered.

souldoubt
2008-01-06, 01:29 PM
Ulysses's hand starts to move in the direction of the swordhilt protruding from behind his shoulder, but he stills it.

"Stay your hand, bard," he cautions. "No one here is your enemy."

"The rest of you, kindly put your weapons away. I'm honor bound to never attack an unprepared opponent, but I'm equally bound to meet force with force. Please don't provoke any more violence where none is needed; save your fighting for the battlefield."

As he concludes his plea, Ulysses finds himself drenched in ale. Wiping the pungeant liquid from his face, he stares up in renewed confusion at the barmaid standing atop the counter. The only distinguishable thought his befuddled mind can latch onto is: Well, good thing I didn't take that bath yet....

DavidByron
2008-01-06, 02:10 PM
This isn't funny Vlax!

As he concludes his plea, Ulysses finds himself drenched in ale.

OK now, see, THAT is funny!

Matthew starts laughing at the rather ignoble end to the knights speech....
and then gets some beer thrown at him too.

Zyks
2008-01-06, 02:29 PM
With a cry of "Wahay! More beer!" Vlax proceeds to drink as much of it as possible (He's not quite drunk enough to lick it off the floor/clothes yet though) and then starts dancing, and falling over a lot, still laughing, with a mug of ale in each hand.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-06, 02:42 PM
The ale splashed over the girl hard, and she paused for a moment, blowing some of the liquid off of her lips. Althea laughed, realizing that she was covered in ale and that the situation was defusing. She relaxed, letting her heavy blade fall and hit the ground point first with a thud. She leaned on it for support, still laughing. The dwarf doing his little dance only contributed to her laughter. On another day, she might have swung the other way, but this was a little bit too silly for the barbarian.

"So much for a serious incident," the girl managed to get up, wringing out part of her shirt from some of the ale. The smell would stick to the armor for some time now, at least until she got them cleaned.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-06, 02:52 PM
Shiela

The battle-ready redhead would have normally relaxed a a full five hairs from the knight's attempt at calming everyone. It seemed more like a threat than an attempt to calm.
Like a challenge.

Then the beer started flowing.
At once very happpy with the fact that she had not yet charged, and was thus distant from the geyser of beer. Shiela laughed and stowed her blade, and began moving to remove her shield and lean it against the table.
"Well, it looks like Ana calmed everyone down!" she commented aloud, and then, adressing Ana "Good show, friend!"
As soon as her weapon and shield were away, she looked at the knight.
"Sir Dripsalotofale, you may need to clean up a wee bit."
Than, adressing Ana once more "Could you please direct me to the mops, so we can impliment damage control?"

rockdeworld
2008-01-06, 03:25 PM
While Kyte's body lies on the floor, his mind wanders, going back to the moment when he first found his parents dead.

He stands in the doorway to his parents' room. Nothing is out of place - the table stands at one wall, untouched, the clothes are piled neatly in the corner, and his parents lie in their bed. Yet their chests do not rise with the breath of life, their bodies do not move. Their faces are lined with bright purple where poison has seeped through their veins, and their faces are contorted in agony, eyes open and mouthes wide with silent screams. They died in pain.

Kyte looks on, as a young boy with tears streaming down his face, sobs echoing through the silent house. He cries out, but no one can hear him. Then he is an adult, looking at the bodies with no emotion, no more tears on his face. He turns, away from the room, the scene of death, and faces darkness. He walks forward, leaving it behind him.

Kyte awakens slowly, hearing returning first, then, slowly, vision follows. He hears raised voices, yet cannot make out what they are saying. Blurry shapes stand over him, doing something, but he can't understand... Then, like waking from a dream, he comes back to the real world.

There is the feeling of something sticky on his face. Kyte climbs to his feet, surveying the surrounding area.

It seems that something interesting did happen. He thinks to himself, brushing aside the momentary pang of regret that he feels he is being untrue to himself.

DavidByron
2008-01-06, 06:42 PM
Matthew's feeling a little clearer too.

Ha. I could clean myself up with a snap of the fingers --- probably not exactly the best time to go casting more spells though. And that weird new guy doesn't even seem to know what's going on....

Hearing Shiela volunteering to do clean up:
Oh no need -- I'll do it. I guess it's my fault anyway... partly. Plus I know where the mop is from the last time.

Hm. I would have thought Shiela would be the last person to volunteer to clean floors of spilled ale. It seems like she's been trying to impress everyone that she's a hard nosed tough fighter not a pretty little red head. Like she had to do a lot of standing up for herself for some reason. Like she had to show us all she was just as good as all these six foot tall tough guys. This is interesting. I wonder if it means she is more relaxed with everyone now?
Matthew is 5'4" -- 1 inch shorter than Shiela
About half the humans in the guild are 6' tall
Although.... ... you know what? I could probably do with cleaning up myself first, especially if anyone else is interested in walking around Bridgeport a little today. Thanks... I owe you one Shiela!

To Althea:
You wanted a tour, right? I'd be happy to show you around the sights although you may not be interested in the library so ... most people aren't I suppose ... well I guess I can skip that part for another day.

To Ulysses:
I seem to have over-reacted a little. I'm not exactly sure what this guy was trying to do. ..... it all happened so fast... I just reacted on instinct.

souldoubt
2008-01-06, 08:23 PM
As laughter begins breaking out all around and the myriad tensions die away, Ulysses feels his own mouth quirking up in an involuntary smile. He meets the barmaid's gaze and gives her a grateful nod of thanks.

Two decades of life training to be a leader of men and I'm upstaged by a barmaid who's quiet as a mouse. This little irony is far more darkly amusing to Ulysses than being doused in ale ever could be.

Ignoring the red-head's rude remarks, Ulysses turns to the wizard.

I seem to have over-reacted a little. I'm not exactly sure what this guy was trying to do. ..... it all happened so fast... I just reacted on instinct.

"Yes, I think we may all have overreacted a bit," though as he says this, he glances warily aside at the supposed "thief" before returning his attention to the wizard, and bowing to him. "My sincerest apologies if I alarmed you or your companions, sir wizard."

DavidByron
2008-01-06, 09:20 PM
To Ulysses:
I'm not much of a "sir".... not that much of a "wizard" either.
Grins. But I have a few tricks up my sleeve.

C'mon. I'll show you where the hot water is.

To Althea:
See if anyone else wants to go for a walk about town. Make sure you've seen Lankin to get your "expense account"!

As Matthew walks off he's still talking to Ulysses:
What kind of accent is that? Where do you come from? My name's Matthew by the way. That's a military style isn't it? (the scale mail) Did you serve in the military? Sorry about all that fuss by the way. Everyone here is a bit crazy... except Fin; he's a good kid. I suppose you have to be a bit crazy...
assuming Ulysses is following

ubersquid
2008-01-06, 09:39 PM
Berwin enters the common room, rubbing his eyes and looking even more tired than usual. He walks to the bar, carefully avoiding the puddles of ale on the ground and waits for Ana to notice him.
When she does, she rolls her eyes and grins, which he answers with an embarrassed smile. It looks like this is not the first time Berwin is late for lunch.

Receiving a small bowl that Ana fetched from the kitchen he shuffles to his table in the corner and sits down. Poking around in the bowl of cold and dried out stir fry, Berwin finally starts to eat, watching the apparently ale-drenched patrons with a raised eyebrow.

Thymin
2008-01-06, 09:40 PM
Dravick:

As the laughter begins its contagious travel through the common room, Dravick's ever-present smile returns to his face and his hand leaves the hilt of his sword. He sits in the nearest chair and tries to piece together the events that had transpired as Matthew walks away with the knight. With a quizzical smile on his face Dravick seems at ease, but confused. "Would someone please tell me what happened?" Dravick says to no one in particular.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-06, 09:57 PM
To Matthew
"I will, thanks. Good luck getting the drunk smell out of your clothes." Althea still grinned widely, nodding to the smaller wizard. She continued grinning, wiping and drying her greatsword as best she could before sheathing it once more. She walked over to the other man who she was talking to earlier, grinning again at him.

To Dravick
"If you give me a hand, I'll tell the story from when you got hit from the the spell." She chuckled again. "I'm still new here, and we could just walk and talk at the same time I think. Of course, if you could help me find a place to wash my clothes, that would be helpful as well. I don't think I could take smelling ale for a couple days before the elements choke the smell out. She at down at a nearby seat. "Still, I think I might have had a bit too much excitement for now. Seeing the town might be a bit better then staying around here."

souldoubt
2008-01-06, 10:17 PM
What kind of accent is that? Where do you come from? That's a military style isn't it? (the scale mail) Did you serve in the military?

Ulysses follows the man who claims he's "not much of a wizard." While he's thankful not to be fighting this man, his fellow guildmember, and even more thankful to have someone to talk to in this strange and distant land after such a long journey, Ulysses doesn't much care for his line of questioning. Oh, well. It's only natural that people should ask these sorts of questions. I'll have to answer them sooner or later.

"I... served in Caulbrook. Or, I trained to serve there, anyway." Then Ulysses realizes that people in Bridgeport might not even know where Caulbrook is. "Caulbrook is the northern province of the Duchy of Colos," he explains. "The other two provinces are Whitecross, where the Duke lives, and then Easton Wold, the forested lands just to the east of Whitecross. So I suppose my accent would be Colosian, to you."

Surely he's heard of Whitecross, at least.... Ulysses tries to change to subject. "Sorry if 'sir wizard' was a misnomer. But I still don't know your name." He smirks and stifles an audible chuckle. "There wasn't much time for introductions, just then. My name is Ulysses Valeris, in case you didn't catch it the first time."

I'll upload a (probably badly drawn) map of the Duchy of Colos to the photobucket whenever I get around to making one, since I have a pretty good mental image of its layout

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-06, 10:26 PM
Shiela

"Oh, no, it isn't a problem, I was involved, too, and you're soaked. Also, when your old man owns a store, you get used to cleaning. Although if you still have some of that spell going - what was it called? Presdignitation? - I would deeply appreciate some magickal assitance" with that, Shiela trots towards the location of the mop, having noted it earlier.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-06, 10:48 PM
Zan stood, drenched with ale while trying to defend Matthew. Maybe it was all for the better, seeing as things did manage to calm down, at the cost of soaking his clothing. Hoping that nobody would see, he sucked at his clothes a little bit while staying near Matthew.

"This will have to be cleaned, eventually. Until then..."

rockdeworld
2008-01-06, 11:28 PM
Kyte follows Shiela, and finds another mop, which he takes.

"I will help as well." He says, looking at Shiela.

DavidByron
2008-01-06, 11:48 PM
Ulysses:
My name is Ulysses Valeris, in case you didn't catch it the first time.

Uhoh. Is this guy a real knight?!?

Shiela:
what was it called? Presdignitation?

??? I didn't say what the spell was called did I?

Excuse me Sir Ulysses... where are my manners? May I present Miss Shiela Tailor of Bridgeport. Shiela, this is Sir Ulysses Valeris from the Duchy of Colos. Sheila is an accomplished fighter and the leader of her team. And apparently ... which I did not know ... also something of a student of the arcane arts?

The spell that Shiela correctly identified, is a flexible utility and training spell, a favourite among apprentices for its ability, among other things, to aid in cleaning items. That much is, perhaps, well known. But Shiela, you recognised it just from me using it to chill beer?

At any rate you are correct Shiela. I ought to use the energies while I have them at my disposal. I was refraining because I felt that if I suddenly started to look as if I was casting another spell that might cause ... well, Ana might have had to crack open another cask of ale.

Ana = 5th level barmaid with skill ranks in throw beer
With your permission Sir, I can clean up those clothes of yours? Perhaps I should demonstrate on myself first.... unfortunately it can't clean people only things.

I may multiclass with a level of launderer / washerwoman at this rate

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-07, 12:08 AM
Shiela

"I've always been fascinated with magic, and I was taught of a few apprentice-spells and what they do, but not how to cast them. At best, my tutor surmised I only have the energies to light a wand - and from practice, I can fairly say I'm not good at that, either.
I'm surprised I got the spell name right. I was always really bad at that stuff."

ITs all true! Look at her backstory. Also: I, personally, LOVE Presdignitation, its almost worth multi-classing for! I swear, thats the only one Shiela will be able to recognise, besides such classics as fireball and Lightning bolt - and those only becuase well, the names are obvious!
One can easily detect a visible blush coming from Shiela at her confession of a mote of arcane knowledge.
"At any rate, good tidings, Sir Valeris. I hope we won't have another incdent like this again."
This sentance, almost seeming tacked-on, is mostly used to conceal her blush and allow Shiela time to twist her expression into a maniac grin.

souldoubt
2008-01-07, 12:19 AM
Can I just assume that Matthew has introduced himself by name now? I'm getting tired of refering to him in my narration as "the wizard" or "this guy 'ere" :smalltongue:
Ulysses schools his expression into one of complacency as Matthew introduces him to the red-haired woman, remembering her earlier "Sir Dripsalotofale" quip. Ulysses bows formally, maintaining his poise and composure -- though he notices that his actually dripping ale.

With a 17 Cha, I imagine that Ulysses can somehow manage to make even ale-splashed armor look acceptably dignified. (And if he had an 18 Cha, anybody who wasn't dripping ale would feel underdressed! :smallwink: )
"A pleasure to meet you, Miss Tailor," he intones politely.

DavidByron
2008-01-07, 12:42 AM
Sorry - yes assume Ulysses was introduced to Matthew.
In fact I'll edit the bit where Matthew is rabbiting on to add that.

BTW in case you were wondering, yeah he changes the way he speaks when he realises Ulysses might be a nobleman. And yes he's laying it on a bit thick for Matthew because he was wondering if Ulysses was going to respond with some sort of "Oh, no need to call me Sir" thing. But he didn't! So that makes Matthew think he really might be a nobleman who sort of is used to that sort of language. But Matthew knows nothing about the aristocracy out that way so he doesn't know "Valeris".

The stuff about Shiela was to make sure Ulysses won't under estimate her, and also because he was really surprised about the spell name.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-07, 10:18 AM
Bruce

I don't know what happened here and I don't want to know. Just don't let it happen again! Ana, for anyone that doesn't want cleaned by magic, prepare tubs of water for them to bathe - men in the stable, women in the basement.
One more thing. You are all limited to three ales a day. Ana, don't bring up any more ale from the basement once they've used their daily allotment.
And for goodness sake, Elga, come out from under that table!

rockdeworld
2008-01-07, 11:57 AM
Poor ale-drinking dwarf.

While helping Shiela mop up the remains of the ale strewn about, Kyte actually smiles - though coupled with his usual demeanor, it doesn't come off well, and looks more like a skeleton grin than an expression of happiness. He catches Shiela's eye, and meets her grin with his own.

"That was interesting, don't you agree?" He says to her, though still with a voice that calls from the grave.

Zyks
2008-01-07, 01:45 PM
"Awww! ah well, wash good while it lashted...hic!...

Vlax collapses unconscious on the floor.

Thymin
2008-01-07, 04:24 PM
Dravick:

"If you give me a hand, I'll tell the story from when you got hit from the the spell." She chuckled again. "I'm still new here, and we could just walk and talk at the same time I think. Of course, if you could help me find a place to wash my clothes, that would be helpful as well. I don't think I could take smelling ale for a couple days before the elements choke the smell out. She at down at a nearby seat. "Still, I think I might have had a bit too much excitement for now. Seeing the town might be a bit better then staying around here."

Dravick looks down at himself, amazed that he had escaped from the ale fountain virtually untouched. He looks at Althea and says, "Either of those options sounds fine to me. If you would like to get cleaned up I can show you where the basement is, or if you'd prefer to go for a stroll around town, I would be more than happy to be your guide." He gives her a warm and welcoming smile.

strongoak
2008-01-07, 04:33 PM
Gylvin, Elven Wizard

Gylvin walks into the bar area and surveys the mess. He just shakes his head and thinks "I hope this lot behaves better in battle than they do in their own guild"

Bruce
You are all limited to three ales a day. Ana, don't bring up any more ale from the basement once they've used their daily allotment.
And for goodness sake, Elga, come out from under that table!

Gylvin approaches Bruce and greets him. "Hello Bruce. I've never seen ale used as a floor cleaner. I'm glad you didn't limit wine." :smallbiggrin:

"On a more serious note, I have a couple of questions. First, I'm thinking of creating several scrolls so that I've got back up in case of trouble. Will the guild subsidize the creation of scrolls for use on guild related business? Second, I'd like to organize a regular meeting of the mages. Do you mind if I post this flyer in the library and tap room?" Gylvin hands the flyer over to Bruce.

Calling All Spellcasters!

S.P.A.M.
Society for the Perfection of Arcane Methodolgy

Please come to an organizational meeting of S.P.A.M. in the guild library tomorrow at 7pm. The purpose of S.P.A.M. is to provide an intellectual forum for the discussion of Arcane matters and sharing of knowledge.

This represents an outstanding opportunity to develop a guild-wide social network of the magic using community. It also will be the opportunity for spell casters to continue the professional development amongst their peers.

In the future, when we smite an enemy they'll know they've been S.P.A.M.'d. As we develop together, I'm sure every guild team will demand at least one Spammer in their party.

The first meeting will be chaired by Gylvin from Team Cougar. If there is sufficient interest, we can elect officers in the near future.

Join S.P.A.M. Today!

{OOC: The idea of meeting was originally DavidByron's. He suggested it in one of his posts, I decided to run with it because I amused myself with the acronym and poster. }

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-07, 10:28 PM
"THREE!? Three ales a day and that's it!?" Still somewhat soaked with ale, the normally placid cleric stormed in circles. It would have looked comical if many didn't share the same situation. After a few moments of fuming angrily, Zan walked straight up to Kyte. "This is all YOUR fault!"

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-07, 10:44 PM
"Then I must ask to partake in your services, Dravick," Althea replied.She cast a worried look as one of the other guild members began to turn upon the original thief. The barbarian bit her lower lip, turning her attention back to the dry bard before her. As exhilarating as it was, the feeling of power and invincibility, giving into her heritage never appealed to Althea. Fights were one thing, but a barroom brawl was something completely different. The sun will dry me out fast enough. Let's go see the town before someone starts throwing punches and we get dragged into it."

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-07, 11:18 PM
Shiela

"Oh, yes, fun. But as it seems, a diversion you will not want to re-create, and one I would much rather not participate in again.
" Shiela responds to Kyte, and icy tone in her voice, backing away from him and the accusing cleric.

rockdeworld
2008-01-08, 09:25 AM
Finding it hard to be intimidated by a man who, at full height, is 1 inch shorter than himself, Kyte raises an eyebrow at the cleric. Then he turns to Shiela again.

"I would have thought you liked action." Kyte replies in his normal, monotone voice; moving the mop back and forth to continue cleaning the floor.

Thymin
2008-01-08, 10:02 AM
Dravick:

Dravick sees the logic in Althea's reasoning, and decides that getting out of the common room is a good idea. "Well then, my fair lady. If you will come with me, I will show you the sights and spectacles of Bridgeport." Smiling, he escorts her from the common room.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-08, 11:35 AM
Gylvin, Elven Wizard
Will the guild subsidize the creation of scrolls for use on guild related business? Second, I'd like to organize a regular meeting of the mages. Do you mind if I post this flyer in the library and tap room?"

Bruce

"Hmm, I see. I'm afraid the guild can not subsidize scroll creating any more than we can purchasing more equipment. You've all been given an expense account, which may be used for that purpose. Now, as far as Continuing Magical Education goes, I'm all for it! Teamwork will be key to strengthening this guild... especially necessary after what I've seen in here today."

OOC: Scroll creation should be done in the Team threads. Let me know if you need some Time lapse to allow for this.

strongoak
2008-01-08, 11:51 AM
Bruce

"... Now, as far as Continuing Magical Education goes, I'm all for it! Teamwork will be key to strengthening this guild... "

Gylvin, Elven Wizard

Gylvin posts the flyers prominently in the tap-room and library. He then goes looking for Matthew in order to enlist his support for the meeting.

{OOC: In real time, I'll put a post up after 4pm EST (Eastern U.S) on the 10th. It will be a generic post about setting up for the meeting. Please post about going to the library after that note is posted. IC feedback on interest prior to the meeting will be helpful. }

The Poster:

Calling All Spellcasters!

S.P.A.M.
Society for the Perfection of Arcane Methodolgy

Please come to an organizational meeting of S.P.A.M. in the guild library tomorrow at 7pm. The purpose of S.P.A.M. is to provide an intellectual forum for the discussion of Arcane matters and sharing of knowledge.

This represents an outstanding opportunity to develop a guild-wide social network of the magic using community. It also will be the opportunity for spell casters to continue the professional development amongst their peers.

In the future, when we smite an enemy they'll know they've been S.P.A.M.'d. As we develop together, I'm sure every guild team will demand at least one Spammer in their party.

The first meeting will be chaired by Gylvin from Team Cougar. If there is sufficient interest, we can elect officers in the near future.

Join S.P.A.M. Today!

DavidByron
2008-01-08, 08:44 PM
Let's assume people have had a little time to get cleaned up
Matthew re-appears after his bath in time to join the others as they are leaving for a walk about town.

Vlax, Zan, are you coming? I have a cunning plan you will want to hear about....

As the adventurers set off Matthew explains his cunning plan in detail:

According to our contract we are all supposed to be "actively seeking opportunities for experience, glory, and profit." So I asked myself, Matthew, how can we find these things? Well I have been doing some reading in the library and I found something that claimed that 78% of adventures start in a tavern.

Well I've spent most of the last two days in the common room bar and so far no luck. What is supposed to happen is that you sit down and drink a few pints and then someone approaches you with a rumour about how a town is being attacked by goblins and needs help, or people have been going missing near the local graveyard or something like that.

Clearly we need to expand our contacts. Since people are not coming to the guild bar we need to go to the taverns and inns of Bridgeport and make our availability known. To be precise we need to go into as many pubs as we can, drink a couple of beers, talk about being adventurers and then move on to the next. We need to keep drinking going from pub to pub until we find work -- this is all in the contract.

Of course these intelligence gathering missions would be official guild work so the expense account would pay for the necessary ale. Thus killing two birds with a single stone in view of our recent beer shortage back at the guild hall.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-08, 10:38 PM
I knew I shouldn't have made Zan so short... okay. As a guy well in the range of 6'3", I should probably inform you that height doesn't work too well in intimidating. Of course, maybe Kyte's all about height, though I gotta say one lousy inch ain't all that much. Oh well.... looks like I must try a different approach.

Zan narrowed his eyes and stared at Kyte. "It's people like you in this world that I just can't stand. I'll make sure to the best of my ability that, in order to make the world a better place for those who are innocent, your kind cease to exist. Oh.... and pray you don't need to be healed by me. My conscience couldn't take it." At that, Zan walked away to get cleaned off.

Later on, when approached my Matthew, he goes along with him and listens intently....

"Sweet Boccob... I can fill my flask again!"

Zyks
2008-01-09, 03:43 AM
Vlax answers simply with "Sounds Good"

rockdeworld
2008-01-09, 09:45 PM
Having cleaned up the area of the spilled beer, Kyte turns to Shiela.

"We should clean ourselves up now." He says to her. "After that, would you meet me on the roof later?" He catches her eye as he says these last few words, trying, in opposition with his normal attitude and body, to express to her a desire to see her. His eyes, though, show only conflict, and his voice has no more emotion than it normally does. He turns away, returns the mop to its regular location, and heads for the shed in order to clean himself off.

Later, Kyte climbs to the roof and lies down, staring up into the heavens.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-09, 11:42 PM
Shiela

The fighter nods quietly in reaction to Kyte's request to see him on the roof, and indeed, takes the time to bathe in the basement. Shes clean of beer, for the most part, but that doesn't mean she doesn't bathe.

Before long, Shiela has set her current set of clothes aside to be washed, and throws her purple cloakm over her shoulders, affixing the Guild's insignia to the front.

She leaves the wooden wall of spiked doom behind, but ensures to take her dirk and scimitar with her, the former tucked neatly into her boot, as usual.
And then, with nothing else to day, takes her waterskin with he to the roof.

rockdeworld
2008-01-10, 12:25 PM
Hearing another climb to the rooftop, Kyte looks over and sees Shiela coming over the wall. He turns back to looking at the dark, evening sky - quietly saying nothing. The grey clouds pass through the black sky, reflected in Kyte's own grey on black eyes. The movement of the clouds placates him, allowing his mind to be distracted for a few moments while he watches.

"You're wondering why I asked you up here." Kyte says aloud, breaking the silence.

Is it night yet, or still day? I would guess some time has passed since the beer incident.

Edit: It's night. Or evening, at least.

Zyks
2008-01-10, 12:33 PM
I would think evening at least, since Vlax, Matthew and Zan have all gone out to the local pub :smalltongue:

but its DMs final word, not that it really makes much difference.

souldoubt
2008-01-10, 07:47 PM
Having spent a good long time making sure his body and equipment were clean of beer, Ulysses finds himself at loose ends -- not a place he is used to being in, or that he finds very comfortable. He sets out to track down the guildmaster and ask him if the guild maintains a practice ground.

MK Kilmarnock
2008-01-10, 09:36 PM
"Uh..."
Zan looked to his companion that he was not familiar with.
"V-vlax, right? Tell me about yourself."