PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Class: Company of Eyrie

Danzaver
2007-12-19, 01:00 PM
This is for my campaign world, based heavily on elements of 11th, 13th and 14th Century Earth, with the Birthright rules, and an attempt to make many of the races match up with the 'races' of Earth to a small degree. If it were a dog, you would call it a Bitzer.

My party gravitated towards Ireland, being the most fae-touched lands, closest to high fantasy, a far cry from the war-ravaged drudgery of northern Frankendom (France) and the hysteria of the beginning of the crusading era.

At one point, as part of some flavour text, I mention 'The Company' - a documented elite body of Irish soldiers (in my world) allying themselves with Artur, one of the many Irish kings.

Our barbarian is so smitten with the idea of them that he made me make up a prestige class for them. I have tried to stay as historically accurate as I can to them - as much as can be done in such an unrealistic fantasy game. Let me know if you think it is too overpowered. It is based on the template of a Swamp Ranger from some d20 open-source supplement.

Note that I don't believe in purely number-based prestige class prerequisites, rather giving them tasks which expect you to have certain abilities.

THE COMPANY OF EYRIE (pronounced Eye-arr)

Class Skills: Animal Empathy, Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Handle Animal, Heal, Hide, Intuit Direction, Knowledge(Nature), Listen, Move Silently, Ride, Search, Spot, Swim, Use Rope, Wilderness Lore.
Skill Points: 4+ INT
Hit Dice: d10

Class Requirements (historically accurate, as far as my research indicates)
Must attend a meeting of all available Company members, where the applicant must do the following:
- Recite any verse from any of the 12 books of Irish poetry from memory.
- Defend oneself in single (or more) combat against any and all Company members available.
- Must be hunted through the wilderness by all available Company members, outrunning and outfoxing all pursuers without a single finger being laid upon them.

BAB - as fighter
Main Saves - Fort and Ref
Level 1 - Wild Step, Favoured Enemy, Track
Level 2 - Ranger Option
Level 3 - Wild Step 2
Level 4 - Favoured Enemy 2, Ranger Option
Level 5 - Ranger Option
Level 6 - Wild Step 3

Wild Step
1 - Gain +2 to Climb, Hide, Intuit Direction, Move Silently, Spot, Swim, and Wilderness Lore only in the Irish wilderness
- Anyone attempting to track a party with a company member gets -5.
- Movement is not hindered while traveling through bushes, brambles, or shallow wetlands
- Can move through treetops at 1/2 move if DEX is 15 or over
2 - A party with a company member treats shallow wetlands, forests, and light hills as a road, and roads in Ireland as highways.
3 - Gains trackless step in Irish wilderness or similar.

Ranger Option (choose one each time ranger option is gained, may take duplicates)
- Gains a fighter feat
- Suffers no penalty for fighting in mud or water
- Increases favoured enemy score by 1
- Natural Armour +1
- Doubles the time you can hold your breath
- +2 to all saving throws vs poison and acid
- Sneak Attack +1d6
- May use wilderness lore(in forests - dex based) or swim (in water) to move through threatened areas as if you had tumble.
- Gains first level cleric spells (from a nature deity). Taking this option again gives you 2nd level, and so on. Character Level determines how many spells per day
1 - 0
2 - 1
3 - 1
4 - 1
5 - 1
6 - 2
7 - 2
8 - 2
9 - 2
10 - 3

There you have it in its infancy. As you can see - the hardest bit is passing the initiation test.