PDA

View Full Version : Ring of Adamantine Touch...revised?

TheMeanDM
2007-12-19, 01:25 PM
In Book of Exalted Deeds, this costs 120,000.

But in Magic Item Compendium, I believe it costs 6,000.

Did MIC come out after DoED, and so supercedes it? Is that right?

Prometheus
2007-12-19, 01:41 PM
I'm not sure about the order, but one thing that is clear about the MIC, and wizards has admitted as much, is that the prices of magic items were dramatically reduced. There are countless examples of "broken" magic items which enable PCs to routinely do things they shouldn't for a much lower cost. As a DM, I allow items form the MIC, but I set the price on everything in it because it is just inconsistent with the game elsewhere.

Person_Man
2007-12-19, 02:08 PM
MIC came out second, and specifically supersedes the items published in previous supplements. Many powerful, all day, expensive items were nerfed down to situational, limited use, cheap items. I don't have the books in front of me, so I can't comment on the Ring of Adamantine Touch. But I know that some of my favorite weapon properties, like Knockback, were severely changed.

Belkarseviltwin
2007-12-19, 03:09 PM
MIC came out second, and specifically supersedes the items published in previous supplements. Many powerful, all day, expensive items were nerfed down to situational, limited use, cheap items. I don't have the books in front of me, so I can't comment on the Ring of Adamantine Touch. But I know that some of my favorite weapon properties, like Knockback, were severely changed.

I checked the books- BoED has it count as adamantine for all purposes ("allows you to make... attacks as if wielding an adamantine weapon"), MIC has it only count as adamantine for the purpose of overcoming DR. So basically, in MIC it no longer ignores Hardness. Is that worth 114,000 gp? You decide.