PDA

View Full Version : Half the time you can't have a conversation

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-19, 01:36 PM
On the q&a I was given an answer you need to beat the dc by 10 to understand what someones saying.

So that means half the time you can't have a conversation or does it.

KIDS
2007-12-19, 01:44 PM
That doesn't make sense... the general rule is that whispering is DC 15, and to understand what is being said you need a 25... oh wait. Gods. Dear gods. You are quite right. I have always thought that base listen DC for normal speaking was -10, not 0, but now I see I was wrong. Even when we assume take 10 most of the time, that's quite horrible!

Tengu
2007-12-19, 01:48 PM
So you're saying that the typical Joe Shmoe will not understand what you're saying to him 50% of the time.

And how exactly is that different from real life?

Prometheus
2007-12-19, 01:48 PM
You can take 10, so you only can't have a conversation if you're wisdom is 9 or less and you haven't learned to get any better at listening or are heavily distracted (in which case you simply as them to repeat themselves and you get an answer). Alternatively you could give a houserule bonus for someone talking directly too you, in that they make sure you are listening, the sound is directed your way, and you can see their lips.

(Highlight to read :P)

Theli
2007-12-19, 01:49 PM
Meh, I'd say take ten, stand less than ten feet away from them, and apply a +2 circumstance modifier because the other party wants you to hear.

Sure, if you have an exceptionally low WIS score you might miss some things. But that almost seems to make sense. :p

Scathach
2007-12-19, 01:50 PM
I'm amused that I could understand that without highlighting.

NullAshton
2007-12-19, 02:14 PM
That's correct, the average person with average wisdom and no ranks in listen will not hear someone half of the time, even right next to them.

Of course, there are some places in D&D where common sense wins out over the rules, and this is one instant where you should just use common sense to if someone could hear someone or not.

Duke of URL
2007-12-19, 02:17 PM
That's correct, the average person with average wisdom and no ranks in listen will not hear someone half of the time, even right next to them.

Unless they "take 10", in which case they always succeed.

Gerrtt
2007-12-19, 02:23 PM
Unless they "take 10", in which case they always succeed.

Which makes sense if you think about it. You don't always understand everything said in a room just cause you can hear it. I work at the front desk in a busy counseling center and I very rarely understand what everyone is saying. That has to do with there being multiple conversations at once, but if I actively try to listen to one or two I can hear what is going on and understand.

Duke of URL
2007-12-19, 02:38 PM
Exactly. Someone with a low WIS modifier (e.g., easily distracted) would have to "take 20" to be sure to listen. Still makes sense.

SoD
2007-12-19, 02:41 PM
Wow. It's like my life was put into rules! Now I know why I never understand what people say, must be my low wisdom score.

Theli
2007-12-19, 03:17 PM
Exactly. Someone with a low WIS modifier (e.g., easily distracted) would have to "take 20" to be sure to listen. Still makes sense.

Hah, when taking 20 s/he'd have to ask the other person to repeat themselves up to 20 times or until they got it. :p

ALOR
2007-12-19, 03:27 PM
I'm just curious, is there any rpg system out there that clearly defines the rules for talking?

Tengu
2007-12-19, 03:34 PM
FATAL probably does, throwing in complicated rules, a long table of effects, crude sexual examples, toiler humor (only without the humor), and some outdated concepts like the four tempers or phlogiston.

Riffington
2007-12-19, 03:36 PM
I'm just curious, is there any rpg system out there that clearly defines the rules for talking?

I think Fudge does (or at least my GM did.) When you start learning a new language (your rank is "terrible", you can say any word that does not include the letter "e"). When you up your rank to "poor", you can say any word that does not include the letter "a"... and so forth.

RandomNPC
2007-12-19, 04:40 PM
so doesn't the same retroactively apply to seeing things?

so on average i can only see half the things around me, wow, there really is another world just beyond our eyes. and ears.

i'm with everyone who thinks direct talking, even in slightly noisy areas, just works. it's like opening a door, how many DMs make you roll a ranged touch and/or a grapple check to grab the doorknob?

Theli
2007-12-19, 04:44 PM
so on average i can only see half the things around me, wow, there really is another world just beyond our eyes. and ears.

Actually, this too makes some sort of sense. Studies show that people can only realistically track 7 (+ or - 2) items at the same time. Not only that, but vision tends to be very selective and only distinctive things immediately pop out at you.

So...*shrugs* It's sort of the result of trying to simulate large possibilities of situations. It tends to be hit or miss when you attempt to apply the simulation to the extreme ranges of possibility.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-19, 04:44 PM
They let you take 10.

Matthew
2007-12-19, 06:01 PM
Many people in real life are not sensible enough to take 10, preferring the randomness and excitement of rolling the die during routine conversations. Even after failing, some often choose to continue rolling.

KIDS
2007-12-19, 07:04 PM
So you're saying that the typical Joe Shmoe will not understand what you're saying to him 50% of the time.

And how exactly is that different from real life?

You have a good point. I'm convinced.

Duke of URL
2007-12-20, 07:50 AM
Many people in real life are not sensible enough to take 10, preferring the randomness and excitement of rolling the die during routine conversations. Even after failing, some often choose to continue rolling.

Listen - (1d20-1)[3]

I'm sorry... I didn't catch that. Must have been distracted.

Swordguy
2007-12-20, 08:03 AM

Interesting how that can apply to forum posts as well. :smallamused:

Reinboom
2007-12-20, 08:04 AM
This also makes sense in the tense of battle, where you can't take 10.
I would imagine you could very easily be distracted and not hear something.

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-20, 11:49 AM
So how will orc camps cope as they can't use the takre 10.

hewhosaysfish
2007-12-20, 12:19 PM

I was about to suggest pointing and grunting but then I realised that would required Spot checks for and Sense Motive checks. Maybe they just write everything down... Which is why they have favoured class: barbarian and are mostly illiterate.

Tengu
2007-12-20, 01:02 PM
Or, alternatively, that explains why orcs have such bad tactics most of the time:

Genre-savvy orc: Oh noes, adventurers be coming! They be much more strong than peasants we expect, run away!
Less genre-savvy orc: What you say? *botches a listen roll* You say charge? Okay, rarrrgh!!
Another orc: You just said sumthin? *botches a listen roll* That was about me aunt Grok?

Indon
2007-12-20, 01:22 PM
I think Fudge does (or at least my GM did.) When you start learning a new language (your rank is "terrible", you can say any word that does not include the letter "e"). When you up your rank to "poor", you can say any word that does not include the letter "a"... and so forth.

One day I must use this system.

Theli
2007-12-20, 01:44 PM

Maybe they just yell all the time?

It's amazing how accurate DnD can be at times.