PDA

View Full Version : Swarmlord (Base Class, Lumencaster)

GryffonDurime
2007-12-19, 05:41 PM
Yes, yet another Lumencaster...a term which means absolutely nothing to anyone but me. As always, I'd really appreciate any ideas of feedback you care to provide.

The Swarmlord - Master of the Little Ones, King of Infinite Insects
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Lumens|Class Features|Secrets

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|
2|Least Secrets, The Light|1

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|
4|Swarmsight|2

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|
6|Essence of Life|2

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|
8||3

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|
10|Lesser Secrets|4

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5|
12|Resist Poison|4

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5|
14||5

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+2|
+6|
16|Soveriegn +1|5

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+3|
+6|
18||6

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+3|
+7|
20|Greater Secrets|6

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+3|
+7|
22||7

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+8|
24|Sovereign +2|7

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+8|
26||8

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+4|
+9|
28|Toxin Resistance|8

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+9|
30|Soveriegn Secrets|9

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10|
32|Sovereign +3|9

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10|
34||10

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+11|
36|Sovereign +4|10

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|
38||11

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12|
40|Sovereign +5, Crowned Aura|11

[/table]

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d6
Class Skills:
Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Wis), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Knowledge: Nature (Int), Profession (Wis), Search (Wis), Survival (Wis).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Some men are born to lead armies, other are born to lead entire lands. The Swarmlord must content himself with a humbler destiny: he is born with a light kindled in his soul, one that comforts and controls the least creatures of the world--insects. He is a true lord of the wild, simultaneously regal and feral. Swarmlords are one of the rarest lumen-caster types in the world, and many find employ with mortal kings as something of a curiosity. Still others rule over entire forests with the aid of their insect servants.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Swarmlord is proficient with all simple weapons and light armor and shields except tower shields.

Abilities: Charisma is a key score for the Swarmlord; Charisma determines how many lumens a Swarmlord may invest in a single secret, as well as how hard his secrets are to resist. As with all classes, Dexterity and Constitution are helpful for not dropping dead.

Lumens: Unlike typical spell casters who are limited to casting a set number of spells every day, a Swarmlord is limited only by the amount of his inner light he is able to have worked at any given time; this amount is referred to as a Swarmlord’s lumens. Lumens were once an ancient unit of measurement used to numerate magic. A Swarmlord may never invest more than (½ his Swarmlord level + his Charisma modifier, round down) in lumens into any one secret.

Secrets (Su): Secrets represent a Swarmlord’s mastery over his Inner Light, and reflects his ability to command various type of insects. Likewise, Secrets also allow the Swarmlord to grant his swarm unique abilities or direct them to specific purposes. A Swarmlord may invest lumens into secrets to activate them. Investing free lumens into a single secret is a standard action. Retrieving invested lumens from a single secret is a move action.

Swarmsight (Su): A Swarmlord is constantly connected to his swarm, and gains a Spot bonus equal to ½ his invested lumens.

Essence of Life (Ex) A Swarmlord may burn an uninvested lumen (burnt lumens do not return to the user’s lumenstore until he has rested for eight hours) to heal 1d12 + Swarmlord level hit points to a willing, touched creature. This is a standard action and provokes attacks of opportunity.

Resist Poison (Ex): A Swarmlord gains a +4 bonus to Fortitude saves against poison.

Sovereign (Su): As a Swarmlord increases in power, he gains more bearing. As a standard action, he may burn a lumen to make a Wild Empathy check (adding his Sovereign bonus) against any insects within a (25 + 5xSwamlord level) foot radius. If the check succeeds, the insects function under the effects of a Charm Monster spell for 24 hours. If the check succeeds by more than 10, they function under a Dominate Monster effect for one hour in addition to the Charm effect. This effect may influence certain Insectoid Fey or Outsiders at DM’s discretion.

Toxin Resistance (Ex): A Swarmlord of this level is now immune to all non-magical poisons, and also gains Acid Resistance 10.

Crowned Aura (Su): A Swarmlord’s ultimate power comes from manifesting a Crowned Aura, the fullest expression of their Inner Light. Once per day, a Swarmlord may manifest this aura as a free action. The Aura lasts for a number of rounds equal to the Swarmlord’s Charisma modifier, and illuminates everything within a 300 foot radius as if by sunlight, automatically defeating any darkness spells cast in the area. During this time, the Swarmlord may invest and retrieve lumens from his secrets as swift and free actions, respectively, and has no limit on the amount of lumens he may invest in any one secret.

The save DC of any secret is equal to 10 + Charisma modifier + 1/2 Invested Lumens.

Lesser Secrets

Queen of Bees - The Swarmlord summons a cloud bees that circle around him, stinging any enemies in squares he threatens. The damage inflicted is equal to 1d4-1 piercing damage per lumen. The bees sting once per round at the start of the Swarmlord's turn.
Moths of Fear - A swarm of fiendish moths encricle the Swarmlord like a dark halo. As a standard action, the Swarmlord may direct the moths to assail any target within fifty feet. They must succeed on a Will save or be shaken.
Spiderborne Artisan - Spiders ride on the Swarmlord's shoulders. As full-round action, the Swarmlord may direct them to create a 10x10 Web, as the spell.
Vanishing Fireflies - A distracting cloud of fireflies encircle the Swarmlord. Enemies and effect have a 5% miss chance for every 2 invested lumens.
Hellwasp Lord - A small handful of hellwasps float beside the swarmlord. As a standard action, the Swarmlord may direct them to sting a target within sixty feet, doing 1d8 piercing damage and, on a failed Fortitude save, 1d3 Con damage.
King of Crickets - Crickets encircle the Swamlord's feet, chirping wildly. Anyone within 100 feet takes a penalty to Listen checks equal to the invested lumens. As a standard action, the crickets can be ordered to make a hellish noise that deafens anyone in range on a failed Fortitude save; the Swamlord is immune to this effect.

Lesser Secrets

Duke of Butterflies - A massive swarm of butterflies encircle the Swarmlord, gaining a fly speed of ten feet for every two invested lumens. For every four lumens invested in this effect, the swarm may also life another willing creature equal to Medium size. Two Small creatures are equal to a Medium creature for this effect.
Baron of Beetles - The Swarmlord covers himself in a host of beetles, gaining DR 1/adamantine for every 3 invested lumens. A Swarmlord may invest this secret multiple times, granting the effect to a willing party.
Acid-Spitting Centipede Master - A slew of nasty centipedes gather on the Swarmlord's hands. As a standard action, he may launch a globe of acid towards any target within thirty feet. This deals 1d6 damage per invested lumen. If over ten lumens are invested in this ability, it Disintegrates any object it destroys.
True Fireflies - The Swarmlord raises a 10x10 cloud of fireflies at any location within 100 feet. Any creature passing through the cloud must suceed on both a Strength check against the swarm's DC and takes 1d6 fire damage for every two invested lumens.

Greater Secrets

Summoned Hive Queen - A rather imperial queen bee circles the Swarmlord, inspiring other insects he has summoned. For every 3 lumens invested, the effects of one secret function as if Empowered: they deal half again as much damage.
Summoned Monarch - A grand monarch butterfly the size of a fist circles the Swamlord, inspiring his other insects. For every three lumens invested, one secret functions as if Widened.

...Still need to finish out the Secrets and define the abilities a bit better.

Vadin
2007-12-19, 05:59 PM
I like the pseudo-essentia thing your classes have. Very nice. I must ask, though, does this new class mean that the other lumencasters will be getting an update as well?

TheLogman
2007-12-19, 06:07 PM
You have lesser Secrets twice.

Also, for more Lumen, here are some suggestions:

Czar of Scorpions: Maybe treat him as though he had Bladed Gauntlets with a Poison, with invested Lumen giving him more poison, or an enchantment bonus?

Ants: Summons ants to carry a load of up to a set amount. Invested Lumen allow the ants to last longer or carry more loads

Ticks: Touch attack that gives the opponent Con damage via Blood Drain. More Lumen=more Con damage

Lice: Distraction of a nearby enemy. More Lumen=Higher Distraction DC

Pillbug: Grants a bonus to AC. More Lumen=Bigger AC bonus

GryffonDurime
2007-12-19, 06:20 PM
I like the pseudo-essentia thing your classes have. Very nice. I must ask, though, does this new class mean that the other lumencasters will be getting an update as well?

Ideally, I'd like to collect the classes, solidify the mechanics, and unify them into Complete Lumens...maybe after Christmas. Maybe even run a Lumen campaign eventually. Lightsmiths, Hearthkeepers, Apotheons, and Swarmlords...and multiclassed Lumencasters as well, who don't lose quite as much when learning more than one lumen art.

TheLogman
2007-12-19, 07:41 PM
More Ideas:

Earwig: Allows you to plant a Suggestion while someone is sleeping

Walking Stick: Bonus to Hide

Praying Mantis: Sword-like arms?

Stinkbug: Some sort of Stinking Cloud?

Heliomance
2007-12-19, 08:58 PM
I'm sure you could do something fun with the Bombadier beetle

Icewalker
2007-12-19, 10:40 PM
Quite fun...I may end up using this as a one-time villain...it is pretty awesome.

So, how are lumens calculated? I thought the class was extremely overpowered at first, but there aren't a huge number of class abilities, and if the # of lumens is smallish, it'd work.

Also, is there a link to your other lumencaster work? Cause, uh, awesome.

DracoDei
2007-12-20, 08:57 PM
Nice concept...

How well do area of effect spells work against the insects that aren't actual in contact with the Swarmlord's body if at all? What are the rules for the lumens in such a case? Do they have to be withdrawn and then reinvested, are they immediately available for re-invested, or are they burned?

Fako
2007-12-20, 09:08 PM
Looks good so far. I can see this being a new favored class for Drow... :belkar:

One major question though: What are the rules for the Save DCs of Secrets? Does each Secret have an effective spell level, or is the DC based on the number of Lumens invested?

GryffonDurime
2007-12-20, 10:28 PM
Looks good so far. I can see this being a new favored class for Drow... :belkar:

One major question though: What are the rules for the Save DCs of Secrets? Does each Secret have an effective spell level, or is the DC based on the number of Lumens invested?

It's buried in there; with any Lumen-caster, the Save DC is 10 + Stat Mod + 1/2 invested lumens. That might too few, but I'd have to playtest first.

I'll compile my Lumen Classes a bit later. I'd like to consolidate the rules first.

Lakoda
2007-12-21, 09:55 AM
Let me get the nit picking out of the way...

In your list of secrets you have two categories titled "Lesser Secrets", but looking at the level table I think you meant the first category to be "Least Secrets". Might I suggested an alternative naming convention to the least/lesser/greater....try lesser/improved/greater, it fits with the feat naming convention more - just a thought (that's why they call it nit picking :smallwink:)

You list each category of secrets but you should probably state specifically that you can only select/use secrets from categories you have obtained (you can't use greater secrets until you are level 10 for example). Some players need this while others will exploit it. Also you don't have any sovereign secrets yet (but I bet you knew that :smallbiggrin:).

In your level table you list a first level ability as "The Light" Is this a fluff ability? Either way there is no description of it. Also you detail the class ability "Lumens" but it is not listed in the level table. Perhaps they are the same thing but names got changed...or not....but they should be handled either way.

How many lumens does a Swarmlord of a given level have to invest?

You provide a sovereign bonus at irregular intervals (every 4 levels, starting at 8 but you added an additional increment at 18. I'm assuming this was done to get +5 at 20. Try every 3 levels starting a 8 and then move some of the other ability around so you have fewer dead levels and no double up levels.

OK, now that that is over....this is probably the most imaginative class I've seen a LONG LONG time. Well done, you've made something I find fascinating and definitely outside the norm (which is very good). I'm interested in seeing your other Lumen classes as well!

Thanks for this, I'm definitely doing to use it.
~Lakoda~