PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #514 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2007-12-20, 01:45 AM
New comic is up.

Rogue 7
2007-12-20, 01:47 AM
Damn straight, Belkar! Go to town on their undead asses!

Lord Herman
Awesome :smallbiggrin:

kpenguin
The title... refers to the bantering, I believe?

ryguysolis
2007-12-20, 01:49 AM
A triumphant return for our diminutive sociopath, huzzah!

OmegaDonut
2007-12-20, 01:49 AM
The title refers to the awful (awesome?) pun that Belkar just made. :)

LiteYear
2007-12-20, 01:52 AM
Heh. They actually do have the safety whistles.

Hallavast
2007-12-20, 01:54 AM
Ah! The corny-ness... It BURNS!

Nice one, Giant.

Vince3
2007-12-20, 01:56 AM
It's nice to see the Sexy Shoeless God of War back in action, but that also begs the question: "If Belkar's on the surface, and Haley's on the surface, where's Roy's corpse at right now?

Vondre
2007-12-20, 01:57 AM
Ears... bleeding...

Wait. I didn't hear the pun.

Eyes... bleeding... :smalltongue:

Blue_C.
2007-12-20, 01:57 AM
I loved the banter between the wights. And Belkar's return.

Covenantwgw
2007-12-20, 01:59 AM
YES! Kick that butt Belker! Also I like that paladin. He should train with Elan to multi-class. He's got that banter thing down.

As for the wrights....um...don't brag about how bad you're going to kick a PC's butt if he's a palidin/cleric and you're a friggin UNDEAD! Stoops!

Darkspear
2007-12-20, 01:59 AM
It's everything I wanted.

Covenantwgw
2007-12-20, 02:00 AM
It's nice to see the Sexy Shoeless God of War back in action, but that also begs the question: "If Belkar's on the surface, and Haley's on the surface, where's Roy's corpse at right now?

stuffed in the jar maybe? how much of the corpse do they need anyways?

SoD
2007-12-20, 02:01 AM
Booya! Enter the Halfling!

TARDIS
Haha! Brilliant once again, Giant. Ahh...one doesn't realize how much Belkar brings to the strip until you go 30 strips without him.:smallbiggrin:

von Traube
So they were Wights! And they can blow a whistle. Ahh, good to see Belkar again.

Sean
2007-12-20, 02:03 AM
Uugh.. Horrible pun!

But great comic:smallbiggrin:
Good to see Belkar again and on the right team.

The Extinguisher
2007-12-20, 02:05 AM
Gouda. Nice.
More proof. Hobgoblins can't resist a fine gouda.

Wait, jailbreak?

slayerx
2007-12-20, 02:06 AM
And the answer is wights!
Y'know Belkar might just get some fun out of killing them, their not as mindless as the usual undead so they might be fun to kill... Belkar probably doesn't get much chance to enjoy a good kill now-a-days

And that paladin's mustache is still great... apparently he needs to learn when to retreat though

Also, it seems we might have gotten a bit more of an idea on tsukiko's strength... she's atleast strong enough to make Haley worry about fighting her (though ofcourse, the wight back up probably help convince her to avoid a fight with her)

Probably in the resistance HQ

Wait, jailbreak?
Not surprising that some slaves and captured soldiers and paladins are kept in Jail... Perhaps our new paladin friend was one of the recent escapees

DracoDei
2007-12-20, 02:07 AM
Personally I just have to wonder why Belkar is throwing pine-apples instead of something with a bit larger of a damage die....

Fuu
2007-12-20, 02:08 AM
I totally missed that little guy. It’s nice to see him again. Those pineapples do little damage, but the pun is certainly a killer. At least Belkar can have a little fun. Thanks for the comic Giant!

Bitzeralisis
2007-12-20, 02:09 AM
Belkar's back.

Goodie.

HonoreDB
So the Lawful Good and Chaotic Evil resisters are introduced as agreeing: "Screw the plan, I'm going on a killing spree."

WNxArrakis
If they tie up the undead for information, would that make them Tighty Wighty's?

Nasrudith
Belkar is rescuing a paladin! That's heroic for him, although he's probably only doing it just so he can harm sentients.

CrystaCub
2007-12-20, 02:10 AM
hahaha, The eyes of the wights, Oh wow....

So Tsukiko and Haley have met... interesting

and Belker is well as well as was hiding in the pineapples... great stuff.

*is in glea*
=^.^=

Shadic
2007-12-20, 02:12 AM
Belkar is back!

Yes! :D

Ziggy's_Roady
2007-12-20, 02:15 AM
Whoo!

-Writes a Fanfic about Haley's first battle with tsukiko-

Belkar is back!

Alysar
2007-12-20, 02:16 AM
Yay! Go Belkar!

So that's what they are. Wights.

The Extinguisher
2007-12-20, 02:21 AM
So the Lawful Good and Chaotic Evil resisters are introduced as agreeing: "Screw the plan, I'm going on a killing spree."

Indeed. Depsite reasoning, LG and CE are the most alike of the alignments.

Roy Tamir
2007-12-20, 02:22 AM
great comic! but if Belkar is there, so where is Roy's body?

Zakama
2007-12-20, 02:24 AM
Indeed. Depsite reasoning, LG and CE are the most alike of the alignments.

You've got a point. I never thought of that.

It'll be interesting to see what side Belkar is with here. Is he with Haley, or solo?

Maulrus
2007-12-20, 02:25 AM
:biggrin: Huzzah! For some reason, seeing Belkar back makes me incredibly happy. It might be his stance on the jar-jug thingy that does it for me, I dunno.

I wonder if the gouda box in the second panel has anything to do with vampire-Roy's comment about the gouda blood cholesterol. Probably not.

Arcane_Secrets
2007-12-20, 02:25 AM
Personally I just have to wonder why Belkar is throwing pine-apples instead of something with a bit larger of a damage die....

Perhaps as a distraction to get them away from the other insurgents?

Rogue 7
2007-12-20, 02:26 AM
Judging by the fact that he was carried in a crate of pineapples (which would HURT by the way) carried by the resistance and seemed to have a cue, I'd say he's still on the side of the resistance- only because they're the ones without the undead for him to kill.

Tamis
2007-12-20, 02:27 AM
I can't wait for Belkar to lay some serious smackdown on those wights! And it would be really fun to have the paladin and him fighting side by side, buddy-cop style. :)

Dr. Simon
2007-12-20, 02:27 AM
If they tie up the undead for information, would that make them Tighty Wighty's?

You realise that I shall have to hunt you down and kill you give you a Chinese burn for that pun? :smallwink:

As to the strip, first mention of somewhere called Greysky City - I wonder if that will become an important location later on? Sounds like it belongs in the North, on the way to Krogar's Gate perhaps.

Xpawn
2007-12-20, 02:33 AM
GO BELKAR!!!!!
:smallbiggrin:

Highwarlord
2007-12-20, 02:33 AM
I must echo the sentiment that Belkar ought to be stabbing things or at least throwing something more painful.

SPoD
2007-12-20, 02:36 AM
As to the strip, first mention of somewhere called Greysky City - I wonder if that will become an important location later on? Sounds like it belongs in the North, on the way to Krogar's Gate perhaps.

A tavern in Greysky City is seen briefly in Start of Darkness, but it's not particularly significant. Basically, it seems to be a human city where it rains a lot, that's all we know. (And honestly, I'm just guessing that it rains a lot due to the name and the fact that it was raining.)

I do suspect that the party will end up there at some point, though.

Porthos
2007-12-20, 02:37 AM
Aggggh!!! The pun! It burns us! It burns us!!!

Errrr... That is to say, "Great work, Rich." :smalltongue:

LesserHellspawn
2007-12-20, 02:39 AM
*BONK* and the more surprised than hurt look on the face of that Wight made my day. I expect Belkar to be in a bit of trouble in the next panel, when they turn around.

David Argall
2007-12-20, 02:44 AM

There is something about pineapples that will be important in the next comic or two. I can't think of anything off hand except the WW2 pineapple grenade, which doesn't seem to fit here. But there is a reason for those pineapples.

Killer Munchkin
2007-12-20, 02:49 AM
Death by Pineapples! Go Belkar!

KeiranHalcyon
2007-12-20, 02:50 AM
I wonder if the gouda box in the second panel has anything to do with vampire-Roy's comment about the gouda blood cholesterol. Probably not.

More likely Elan's comment in 463, panel 2, to which vampire-Roy was also referring.

Natural20
2007-12-20, 02:55 AM
With each passing strip, I always wish that Roy's corpse would show up, if only to see his reaction when he looks upon his own, rotting cadaver.

...That doesn't make me weird, does it?

Rogue 7
2007-12-20, 02:55 AM
I must echo the sentiment that Belkar ought to be stabbing things or at least throwing something more painful.

Of any fruit, I think pineapples would hurt the most- lotsa spiky bits.

Icewalker
2007-12-20, 02:57 AM
Elan would be proud. Good to see Belkar, and nice pun.

stuetzl
2007-12-20, 02:58 AM
ah damn, I hate to ask, but 'cause I'm not a born Englishspeaker, I didn't get the pun with belkar at the end...
"wight" is a synonym for "creature", isn't it? Is the pun something like "don't celebrate before you've won"?

by the way; awesome comic as usual!

Icewalker
2007-12-20, 03:00 AM
There is a saying from the American Revolution when they were getting low on ammo, "Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes" meaning you would be very close.

Wights are a kind of undead, and that's what these are.

stuetzl
2007-12-20, 03:01 AM
oh I get it, thanks... I know that saying, but I didn't see the connection between those...

Winged One
2007-12-20, 03:02 AM
There is a saying from the American Revolution when they were getting low on ammo, "Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes" meaning you would be very close.

You forgot to mention that wights and whites sound the same.

Aerysil
2007-12-20, 03:02 AM
Oh... they're wights.

I was expecting more hair.

SPoD
2007-12-20, 03:03 AM
ah damn, I hate to ask, but 'cause I'm not a born Englishspeaker, I didn't get the pun with belkar at the end...
"wight" is a synonym for "creature", isn't it? Is the pun something like "don't celebrate before you've won"?

No, it's a play on a famous quote from a commander in the American Revolution. Low on ammunition, he ordered his troops, "Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes." (In other words, "Don't waste ammo unless they're close enough that you can't miss.")

A wight is a D&D undead monster, specifically the one that they're fightin, and "wights" and "whites" are pronounced the same in English.

EDIT: Ninja'd. The connection is simply that Belkar wasn't coming out of hiding until he was sure it was something he could fight (i.e. undead). So in a way, he too was holding his fire until he was sure he could kill them.

Bayar
2007-12-20, 03:07 AM
Nice comic Giant.

Also, the reason Belkar is not stabbing anyone is becuse it has that Mark of Justice....if you forgot about it....

Rockphed
2007-12-20, 03:08 AM
Silly people who answer questions while I am still reading the comments. Oh, well, it saved me from writing a big involved disertation on how "wight" carries connotations of magic and, since The Lord of the Rings, undeath, as well as being a synonym for "Creature." Either way, that pun burns. May it never be voiced except at great need.

And I think Belkar is going to get plenty of fun out of killing the wights.:smallbiggrin:

KeiranHalcyon
2007-12-20, 03:08 AM
Nice comic Giant.

Also, the reason Belkar is not stabbing anyone is becuse it has that Mark of Justice....if you forgot about it....

...which doesn't apply to undead, as we have seen previously. No reason not to eviscerate the wights.

Ganurath
2007-12-20, 03:10 AM
I can feel my OOTS stock increasing in value. The best part is that the pun was educational: I was wight that they are rights. ...Scratch that, reverse it.

Balathustrius
2007-12-20, 03:12 AM
Mmmm, Belkar. Just the fix I needed. He adds so much badassery to this comic.

Foogoo
2007-12-20, 03:19 AM
Ahhh... the pun is like sweet nectar. As is the promise of kerstabulated undeads. I don't even know what else to say other than, "Yay."

So, "Yay!" already.

no one special
2007-12-20, 03:22 AM
I only have one thing to say: Hooray, belkar's back:smallbiggrin:

Max_Sinister
2007-12-20, 03:23 AM
Yeah! Belkar is back! Hey Belkar, how do you like dealing out non-lethal damage?

One minor nitpick: I'm no native English-speaker, but does the dialogue sometimes sound a bit stilted?

A_S
2007-12-20, 03:26 AM
Anyone else notice that the color of Thanh's belt keeps (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0511.html) changing (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0514.html)? Wonder if it's magic...

factotum
2007-12-20, 03:43 AM
Anyone else notice that the color of Thanh's belt keeps (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0511.html) changing (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0514.html)? Wonder if it's magic...

I think it would have to be. Once could be attributed to a mistake, but I can't see Rich making the belt a different colour in four or five different panels (in two different comics to boot!) without having a reason for it.

Mr Teufel
2007-12-20, 03:45 AM
I was wight too.

I am mighty since wight makes might!

... I'll get me coat.:smallbiggrin:

Animefunkmaster
2007-12-20, 03:46 AM

Really REALLY good eyes.

Pirate Phane
2007-12-20, 03:46 AM
But the zombies are undead. Does it count as 'killing' someone if he... uh... kills the zombiemabobs?

Green Bean
2007-12-20, 03:53 AM
But the zombies are undead. Does it count as 'killing' someone if he... uh... kills the zombiemabobs?

Nope. It only activates if he does lethal damage to any living creature within a city.

Crane
2007-12-20, 03:55 AM
HAHA! I KNEW IT!
As soon as I saw that basket with the pineapples, back when the Resistance first appeared, I thought "Oh, hey Belkar."
Then Rich waited so long to bring him out, and I kinda forgot. -_-

Tanaar
2007-12-20, 03:58 AM
To prevent myself from skipping ahead to punchlines/big reveals, I always reveal only a single line of a comic at a time while scrolling down. So when Belkar popped out when I thought the old paladin dude was going to buy the farm, I actually released a little fan boy scream. Not sure whether I'm ashamed or not. <3 Belkar

fractal
2007-12-20, 04:02 AM
Ah! I had been wondering why, when it came time for resisting, everyone but Niu was carrying a weapon. It turns out that actually she was, and a very effective, if specialized, one at that.

Mind you, that still leaves the question of why Belkar wasn't just walking on his own two feet. On the other hand, it's cool, and how many actual D&D plans are similar?

Also, we now know where Haley may have gotten her allies from; she broke them out of jail (which would explain the lack of coordination).

banjo1985
2007-12-20, 04:33 AM
And who is it with the pineapple based save....must be Belkar :smallbiggrin:

battleburn
2007-12-20, 04:34 AM
All predictions came trough. Belkar can finally do something.
Elan would really be proud of that horrible pun I think.

Stupid paladins, they don't know when to run so he can live to fight another day.

-Battleburn

ref
2007-12-20, 04:45 AM
And so the tranquility ends... anyway, congwatulations to those who got the wight answer.

Paladin29
2007-12-20, 05:03 AM
Oh yeah, I love Belkar... or I´d love him if he wasn´t CE, but he is awesome!! :)

Niknokitueu
2007-12-20, 05:12 AM
Just gotta say, this comic is a hoot! (and Elan would indeed be proud of Belkar's pun)

If anyone could turn a fruit into a deadly weapon, it would be Belkar...
"Right, attack me with that bananna..."
"...Then you eat the bananna, so disarming your opponent." (Heh heh)

Very good one, Rich, your creative juices must be flowing freely. Mmm. Pineapple juice.

Mind you, that still leaves the question of why Belkar wasn't just walking on his own two feet.
Some possibilities immediately spring to mind:

1) Belkar has accidently set off the mark of justice, and needs carrying over long distances

2) Ace-in-the-hole, as he needs to be carried if they run away, this way opponents do not know the true strength of the party

3) Roy's body is in the bag (so to speak), and Belkar does not want to stray too far from it.

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Tundar
2007-12-20, 05:15 AM
I love the look on the face of the undead blowing the whistle :smallbiggrin:

And that changing of belt colours puzzles me...

Go go bad puns, we need more of those!

Shawnis
2007-12-20, 05:16 AM
:belkar: "I will pummel you with improvised ranged fruit!"

MBV
2007-12-20, 05:18 AM
Great comic, finally one i enjoyed again!

Mmm so Thanh's belt keeps changing colurs maybe he's........

MIKO in disguise!?

Sorry, couldn't resist :smallbiggrin:

MrEdwardNigma
2007-12-20, 05:36 AM
Somehow I managed to like the palladin better than Belkar in this comic. Maybe it was because of his awful pun and his non-lethal attack?
Or maybe it's just because this palladin guy is wicked? In a good way, off course :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and one more question pops to mind: who's looking after dead Roy???

Klose_the_Sith
2007-12-20, 05:36 AM
I was right, almost.

I hinted at Bolas, and pineapples are close enough, Belkar should be made a Baron of his chosen ammunition :smallbiggrin:

JessmanCA
2007-12-20, 05:41 AM
"Consider this a partial downpayment on the full measure of righteousness that is owed you!"

I loved it.

Gitman00
2007-12-20, 05:58 AM
There is something about pineapples that will be important in the next comic or two. I can't think of anything off hand except the WW2 pineapple grenade, which doesn't seem to fit here. But there is a reason for those pineapples.

Funny, I was just thinking of the Xanth novels by Piers Anthony, in which pineapples are actually explosive.

nephtis
2007-12-20, 06:03 AM
I love the wight blowing the whistle - certainly not a typical mindless undead, what a relief.

And yeah for Belkar, discovering the Halfling's racial bonus to throw objects!

Freelance Henchman
2007-12-20, 06:13 AM
Huh, Belkar's reduced to throwing pineapples!? You've changed, man! The Belkar I knew would have those wight things eviscerated before you could say Vampyr! And that mustachioed fool as well, just to show you mean business!

Merlon
2007-12-20, 06:16 AM
Yep. Elan would be proud about it. Although in Elan's case, i wouldn't start irritating undeads with piercing weapons.

CrystaCub
2007-12-20, 06:18 AM

Yea, I noticed it in the first one (I think I was the first to mentioned it then) but kinda didn't the second time Thanh showed until you pointed it out

My predictions... Its worth a stab :smallamused:
Its a Mood Belt!
or
Might have something to do with using his paladin powers...

edit:
And for those of you wondering why Belker isn't stabbing the Wights yet: He needs to get out of the Jar of Pineapples.. Which with their pointiness must make it a bit difficult so why not throw some at one of the Wights, Gets their attention and is hilarious at the same time...
Once he's out of the Jar, We'll be treated with some Wight stabbing stew with a side of sexy shoeless god of war action. :smallamused:

Undertaker798
2007-12-20, 06:20 AM
Pineapple vengeance. :smallbiggrin:

battleburn
2007-12-20, 06:34 AM
I first thought it had to do with shadows. When his cloak is down, his belt is a darker colour then when it flaps in the wind. But then I noticed the belt changes in at least 3 colours, not 2.

Devoured_Dude
2007-12-20, 06:42 AM
:belkar: "I will pummel you with improvised ranged fruit!"

Would that make the fruit-weapon a Pummelo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pummelo)?

Elan's punnery is contagious.

Omicroncubed
2007-12-20, 06:45 AM
As much as I hate :belkar:, it's good to see that halfling again :smallsmile:

Good work *thumbs up*

JasonDoomsblade
2007-12-20, 06:56 AM
I didn't quite get the title until I read the last panel. Then I thought, Lol.

shylocxs
2007-12-20, 06:59 AM
Haha! Brilliant once again, Giant. Ahh...one doesn't realize how much Belkar brings to the strip until you go 30 strips without him.:smallbiggrin:

Absolutely! I've been missing the "less goodly inclined" sexy shoeless god of war! But, what's with the pineapples? I'm confused... but that's not unusual.

Derivious
2007-12-20, 07:00 AM
Having Belkar in the comic, I just had to log in again, wipe the dust off my wings, and post about how awesome this comic was.

3 and a half thumbs up from me.

TroyXavier
2007-12-20, 07:11 AM
Really bad pun but very fun comic. Nice to see Belkar back.

Swashbuckler
2007-12-20, 07:32 AM
The return of Belkar!! :biggrin: ... and just in time for Christmas! Woohooo! Go pineapples!

SteveMB
2007-12-20, 07:34 AM
That pun is so wrong, but it feels so wight.

Blaznak
2007-12-20, 07:45 AM
Pineapples? Freaking Pineapples? Hee hee...

PS. "Greysky City" - I wonder if we will see this in the future...

Talyn
2007-12-20, 07:58 AM
As much as I hate :belkar:, it's good to see that halfling again :smallsmile:

Good work *thumbs up*

Yeah, I have to say that I have never before gone "YES! Belkar!" while reading the comic (he offends my paladin sensibilities), but there is a first time for everything! I'm still grinning hugely - and, personally, I thought that pun was AWESOME.

Forealms
2007-12-20, 08:02 AM
Bwahahahahaha!

That completely rocks! And ends Belkar speculation threads! Whoooooo!

Willahad
2007-12-20, 08:06 AM
I was wondering when we would see a palidin cast turn undead
great comic as usual

Swordguy
2007-12-20, 08:10 AM

Pineapple grenades...

At least, I sure hope they explode.

(Hope nobody's pointed that out yet. It'd be nice to get to have an original idea for a change.)

Green and Red
2007-12-20, 08:32 AM
Great comic...

What i didnt get, or rather cant read, is the crate with the gouda. It says something with cliffport, i think the second word is of, but can anyone read the first word of the small text?

johnnyriot999
2007-12-20, 08:33 AM
Awesome comic! Classic line by Belkar! :smallamused:

BRC
2007-12-20, 08:34 AM
:belkar: I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF COMEDY

AtomicKitKat
2007-12-20, 08:43 AM
Great comic...

What i didnt get, or rather cant read, is the crate with the gouda. It says something with cliffport, i think the second word is of, but can anyone read the first word of the small text?

Product/Produced in/of Cliffport

Fozzie
2007-12-20, 08:54 AM
Great comic!! Good to see Belkar back in action, trowing pineaples :smalltongue:

The Bushranger
2007-12-20, 08:57 AM
Mwahahaha!!! :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

(And the server lives! Woot! Thanks, Giant! :smallsmile:)

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-20, 09:12 AM
Win + Awesome = Order of the Stick

SteveMB
2007-12-20, 09:18 AM
And that paladin's mustache is still great... apparently he needs to learn when to retreat though

Perhaps he has a bit of Miko's tendency to see the world in black and wight.

Heroic
2007-12-20, 09:25 AM
Belkar shoots... He scores!! :smallbiggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2007-12-20, 09:25 AM
I am mighty since wight makes might!

Racist :smallwink:

Hooray, more Belkar! Even though that pun hurt. Elan WOULD be proud.

Roderick_BR
2007-12-20, 09:27 AM
Awesome comic :smallbiggrin: I like everything in it. The way that Haley and Tsukiko apparently had some run-ins while Roy was away (Haley rushed everyone to run when she noticed the goblins would send reinforcements. she's not dumb to face a caster face-to-face).
The wight's trash-talk, and, of course, the return of our favorite psychopath (apparently still under the MoJ effect...) :smallamused:

Alfryd
2007-12-20, 09:28 AM
New comic is up.
Very good. 513 also good.

Ears... bleeding...
Wait. I didn't hear the pun.
Eyes... bleeding...
Did you hear the joke about the Spanish prisoners that got stuck in the escape tunnel? Well, never put all your Basques in one exit.

Or, how about the nomad chieftain who collected ornate wooden chairs, so that the floor of his hut collapsed? Like they say, people who live in grass houses shouldn't stow thrones.

Wait. What are you doing with the gag?

yoshi927
2007-12-20, 09:32 AM
I've said that the comics have been missing something lately. Now I know what it was. Belkar. :smallbiggrin:

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-12-20, 09:38 AM
Pineapples? Freaking Pineapples? Hee hee...

PS. "Greysky City" - I wonder if we will see this in the future...

Greysky city was briefly seen in Start of Darkness.

It was a rowboat ride away for Right-Eye, so it couldn't have been too far. (Please, no links to the guy who rowed across the Atlantic to prove me wrong. :smallbiggrin: ) Since that was once one of Xykon's lairs, there might be a clue Our Heroes need to go and search for. Or it may just be a random bit of detail Rich likes to toss in, to be later searched for in the OOTS Quiz thread.

Darkhands
2007-12-20, 09:53 AM
Like others have said, his belt is in fact changing, but it seems to be slowly pulsing blue... Gains brightness, then fades back to black. Hmm!

Oslecamo
2007-12-20, 10:08 AM
Wohoo Haley bring her secret weapon against undead: psychotic everything-bane halfling +3.

Those wights are sooo dead. Oh, wait, they are already dead. Damn.

Megalomaniac2
2007-12-20, 10:16 AM
If everyone's out fighting Tsukiko, I guess that mean's that either Roy's all alone or they've gotten Celia to look after him.

docstrange
2007-12-20, 10:20 AM

Turn Undead!

Hit Undead with a Pineapple!

Next strip: Stab Undead!

Mando Knight
2007-12-20, 10:25 AM
If anyone could turn a fruit into a deadly weapon, it would be Belkar...
"Right, attack me with that bananna..."
"...Then you eat the bananna, so disarming your opponent." (Heh heh)

Very good one, Rich, your creative juices must be flowing freely. Mmm. Pineapple juice.

Yay for someone who notices Monty Python references...

I was wondering how long the thread would go without mentioning self-defense against fresh fruit...

chibibar
2007-12-20, 10:43 AM
Booya!! I love Belkar :) This is great. Belkar is no dummy when it comes to his own amusement. A good "work around" the MoJ.

Love the Pineapple attack.

The Kool
2007-12-20, 10:45 AM
...And enter Belkar.

luxgladius
2007-12-20, 10:51 AM
Ouch, ouch! The pun! It burns us!

Glad to see the Belkster again though.

Soulhammer
2007-12-20, 10:58 AM
You still got giant. Wish you could update more though. :smallfrown:

Wonderful comic. The wit in it hasn't been in some of your recent comics, but yet again, you have earned my respect.

Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming!

The Kool
2007-12-20, 11:00 AM
Except "Person Not Found", that was just classic.

PaladinFreak
2007-12-20, 11:03 AM
Hilarious. Well, I'm certainly glad Belkar's still in action... Oh god, the puns burn!

Sequinox
2007-12-20, 11:07 AM
:smallfrown: *sniff* Elan would be so proud... LOVED IT!!!!!

HOLEkevin
2007-12-20, 11:14 AM
Hah-hah! I was wight about the monsters being wights… because they were white…

Anyway…

Yay Belkar!

*Templar*
2007-12-20, 11:24 AM
I'm growing quite fond of Thanh. Pity he's probably doomed.

Blanth
2007-12-20, 11:44 AM
Gouda and pineapples? Sounds like Team Evil will be eating swanky during their Occupation of Azure City.

/Spiky-non-lethal-damage-pineapples do hurt though.

Holammer
2007-12-20, 11:58 AM
GOOSE GOOSE GOOSE GOOSE! Just wait for it.

DrivinAllNight
2007-12-20, 12:14 PM
Not only did Elan have to get good at making things punny, but the Giant seems to have taken that feat as well, although I'm not sure who's better at it, Elan or the Giant? ( and yes I know that the Giant writes Elans puns, just a matter of who's are represented better), And Go Belkar Go :smallbiggrin:

The Tygre
2007-12-20, 12:18 PM
YAY! BELKAR'S BACK! Omigod omigod omigod!

Most excellent, Giant!

Balkash
2007-12-20, 12:25 PM
belkar!!!!!!!!!!!

Umbra
2007-12-20, 12:29 PM
Great comic as always, but I don't think the pun is what Elan would be proud of. Well, perhaps that too, but I think that it's Belkar's ability to make his grand entrance at the most dramatic moment.

Over and out.

jmaccabeus
2007-12-20, 12:32 PM
Mmmmmmmmm... gouda...

I see Belkar's still in good form. And our paladin friends are still paladins... some things just don't change during an occupation.

Also: Mmm.... gouda... :smallbiggrin:

Arlion
2007-12-20, 01:12 PM
Paladins can cast turn undead? . sorry i dont play dungeons and dragons so i dont know. But i know that paladin can cast healing spells and spells that work against undeads.
my question is :can the made that by themselves?or they need to multiclass?

Doug Lampert
2007-12-20, 01:13 PM

It wasn't actually from being low on ammo. AFAIK it was from the START of the Battle of Bunker Hill (fought of course as we all know on Breed's Hill.) The militia had as much ammunition as they'd been able to get togather in a year+ of preparation.

But the thing is that the FIRST volley was exceptionally useful for shock effect. The first volley was before the enemy had gotten used to being under fire, it was before too much smoke was blocking everyone's view, and everyone on your side has a properly loaded musket for the first volley since they'd taken their time and done it right pre-battle. (It's been estimated that about 1/3rd of the muskets even in much better units than revolutionary militia were out of action by the second shot. Mostly due to screwups in reloading the gun in the exitement of battle. Once you'd gotten off 2 shots there weren't that many more mistakes, but the second and later volleys had much less shock than the first, and the Americans NEEDED to break the British advance prior to the British driving home which meant they NEEDED the shock.)

Fighteer
2007-12-20, 01:31 PM
Paladins can cast turn undead? . sorry i dont play dungeons and dragons so i dont know. But i know that paladin can cast healing spells and spells that work against undeads.
my question is :can the made that by themselves?or they need to multiclass?
Paladins gain Turn Undead as a class feature; they are just weaker at it than Clerics. They also have a limited spellcasting ability that includes spells drawn from the Cleric list.

Edit: Paladins turn undead as a Cleric of 3 levels lower than their Paladin level. All other properties are identical.

Moff Chumley
2007-12-20, 01:34 PM
...Mr. Giant, this has to be one of the better comics you've written...

David Argall
2007-12-20, 02:37 PM
Paladins gain Turn Undead as a class feature; they are just weaker at it than Clerics.
Edit: Paladins turn undead as a Cleric of 3 levels lower than their Paladin level. All other properties are identical.

This means they generally aren't too effective at it unless they are facing creature they can mash anyway, so they don't use the ability at all often.

Now it does suggest that Thanh is about 7th level. We had Miko as highest, and Hinjo as clearly below her, with O-Chul not far below. And he has to take awhile to wade thru the low level guards that Haley walks thru. So he can't be much higher. But if he were much weaker, his ability to turn the wights would be distinctly doubtful.

By our story to date, he should have been in the throne room with the other experienced paladins. He also mutters about "my debt". This may be just a reference to his desire to kill the invaders of his city, but we may have some backstory coming up about him.

Thanh is Miko? Well, just to play with some minds... We do have that odd belt of color change. So we add in the belt of sex change and a little random magic, and the belts are holding the body together as well as changing the sex.
However, among other problems, Miko liked to use two swords, and Thanh is using two handed attacks.

I was sorta expecting a full strip of wight-right-white jokes, but there are limits on such things [or maybe that is that there should be].

osyluth
2007-12-20, 02:53 PM
:belkar: I'm back, baby! :belkar:

stickygoo
2007-12-20, 03:05 PM
Who else think's Belkar was in the Pineapple basket the whole time? They brought it with them after all.

and the Pineapple attack? Aside from being damned funny, it was just a distraction to draw their attention.

Excellent pun!

I think our friend Thahn was probably out on a quest when AC was attacked. Hinjo said something about calling back every Paladin that could get back in time. He must have been too far away at the time.

wagomorph
2007-12-20, 03:33 PM
Power to da people!!
They're just tryin' to keep the SSGOW down!!
Kill wighty!!

-Belkar

BelkarIsAGod
2007-12-20, 03:41 PM
This made my day. Thanks, Mister Giant!:biggrin:

phoamslinger
2007-12-20, 03:43 PM
does anyone else see this little brawl escalating into a large scale conflict, just because neither Thanh nor Belkar recognize anything of sufficient challenge to justify running away (like Haley probably wants)?

SteveDJ
2007-12-20, 04:15 PM
Who else think's Belkar was in the Pineapple basket the whole time? They brought it with them after all.

I looks like the slaves were carrying that basket (see 511) before the Resistance attacked. I'm guessing that Belkar snuck into the basket as the rest of the Resistance was moving into position.

SteveDJ
2007-12-20, 04:19 PM
does anyone else see this little brawl escalating into a large scale conflict, just because neither Thanh nor Belkar recognize anything of sufficient challenge to justify running away (like Haley probably wants)?

Well, when they ordered Black Squadron in, they did order all other units out of the area (see 513). So, this little brawl is only going to involve the Black Squadron - I don't see that become a huge, large scale conflict.

fehler
2007-12-20, 04:32 PM
I need to know how Haley met Tsukiko!

There's been plenty of time for Tanth to gain levels. House Kato is already 6th level, and they were 1-2 at the battle. I'm guessing the resistance had more XP opportunities, too.

PhallicWarrior
2007-12-20, 04:33 PM
He's back! :belkar:

Burrito
2007-12-20, 05:23 PM
A tavern in Greysky City is seen briefly in Start of Darkness, but it's not particularly significant. Basically, it seems to be a human city where it rains a lot, that's all we know. (And honestly, I'm just guessing that it rains a lot due to the name and the fact that it was raining.)

I do suspect that the party will end up there at some point, though.

You mean a Starbucks in Seattle?

Thamir
2007-12-20, 05:27 PM
Ah the light! It stings in an uncomfortable manner. These wights are utter gold I hope they return. As for the strip itself, brilliant!. Oh and let me just say that paladin must be quite high level, because I reckon he destroyed that wight rather than turned it, if it was turned it would have run away with the unaffected one. Now since wights have about 5 (please correct me) HD and that guy was clearly an Azure Samurai (which as Miko stated to Elan means he's a paladin and hasn't taken any levels in samurai) means he gets turn undead later than a cleric (level 3 or 4. 3 I think?) he must have either rolled really high or must be at least the level of the OOTSers. He is awsome!

we may even see another party of adventures rise up with hayley as the leader of one and Hinjo/Elan leading the other. This guy would have to be part of one as would the other rebels and belkar. On the other we have Hinjo, Elan, V, Durkon, Kazumi and Daigo (maybe not Kazumi and Daigo as for their marriage and Kazumi's pregnancy.) but for as many strips as Hayley lost her speech for Roy will remain dead until the two partys can join up and they will both go on their respective adventures. Maybe Roy will be raised by some other cleric and join Hayleys party.

Heritage
2007-12-20, 05:47 PM
My monitor at work is somewhat dark; I was convinced that crate said "Gretzky City", and was expecting a weird hockey-related joke :smallredface:

I think the pineapple was thrown because Belkar is in the mood for a real fight, wants them to know he's coming. He might even be looking out for the paladin....nah.

KuH
2007-12-20, 05:57 PM
While we're on the subject of bad puns, I had to share the best one I know - the Gandhi one. As you probably know Gandhi, a very wise man, liked to walk around barefoot which toughed his feet, and ate a very limited vegetarian diet, which unfortunately left him with weak health and bad breath.

You know what that made him, of course?

A super calloused fragile mystic, hexed by halitosis.

(And somebody else can explain that one to the non-English speakers on the boards.):smallsmile:

Aulacious
2007-12-20, 06:19 PM
BELKAR! W00T!!!

Best comic in... quite a while Giant... keep it up! :smallsmile:

The Burninator
2007-12-20, 06:26 PM
the Sexy Shoeless God Of War Is Here To Stay!

SPoD
2007-12-20, 06:38 PM
Ah the light! It stings in an uncomfortable manner. These wights are utter gold I hope they return. As for the strip itself, brilliant!. Oh and let me just say that paladin must be quite high level, because I reckon he destroyed that wight rather than turned it, if it was turned it would have run away with the unaffected one. Now since wights have about 5 (please correct me) HD and that guy was clearly an Azure Samurai (which as Miko stated to Elan means he's a paladin and hasn't taken any levels in samurai) means he gets turn undead later than a cleric (level 3 or 4. 3 I think?) he must have either rolled really high or must be at least the level of the OOTSers. He is awsome!

The exact opposite is true. You're making the mistake of thinking the one who blew the whistle was the unaffected one, when it was actually the turned one.

To further explain: He turned (not destroyed) one, and the other was completely unaffected. We can see that the unaffected wight is still in the panel fighting Thanh when the two reinforcements show up, for three wights total. That means he managed to turn only one wight--the one who ran and blew the whistle. That makes him fairly low level, since wights have only 4 Hit Dice. Durkon could destroy (not just turn) several wights with a single usage, for example.

Hood
2007-12-20, 08:31 PM
The light! It stings!

The Iron Muffin
2007-12-20, 08:49 PM
Has anybody commented yet on the delicious irony of the Black Squadron being composed of wights?

Warlord JK
2007-12-20, 09:39 PM
Hehe, the discussions about whose side Belkar is on are now over :smallbiggrin:

the_tick_rules
2007-12-20, 09:46 PM
so that's where belkar was, waiting for someone he could kill. well since their undead kill again i suppose. so i guess they're wights huh?

5tephen
2007-12-20, 09:55 PM
Pineapples?

mikeejimbo
2007-12-20, 10:40 PM
*rimshot*

Brilliant.

Furin_Mirado
2007-12-20, 11:42 PM
Yay for someone who notices Monty Python references...

I was wondering how long the thread would go without mentioning self-defense against fresh fruit...
"You try yelling for help with a pineapple shoved down your windpipe!"
"A pineapple?"
"What?! Where?"
"Nothing, I just said pineapple."
"Oh thank god, I thought my number was up on that one."

Roughly paraphrased, but I love that skit.

HUMVEE Driver
2007-12-20, 11:54 PM
And to think that pineapples are the symbol for "welcome"...

FYI about some American history trivia; "Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes" was most likey a common command in the revolutionary war.

HUMVEE Driver

Blanth
2007-12-21, 12:03 AM
Has anybody commented yet on the delicious irony of the Black Squadron being composed of wights?

You know it doesn't matter if they're black or wight.

/That was bad.
//Michael Jackson Bad
///You know it. Ooo.

Da Luniz
2007-12-21, 02:39 AM
anyone else think Belk is looking abit pale?
Coloring error?
Mark of Justice?
HORRIFIC ALLERGY TO PINEAPPLE JUICE?!?!?!?!!??!