PDA

View Full Version : Bastion of Broken Souls [IC]

Pages : 1 [2]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-02-07, 08:32 PM
Artemus seems wary, and unsure of his stealth abilities, having no training or experience in any form of stealth. He walks in a way as to make himself more unheard and unseen.
Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]
Edit: Huh... Hide without the modifier, I GOT A 4!!

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-07, 08:35 PM
Just an update. Lithana's Hide/Move Silently are 40/40 with the increases from Aedras.

Kelborn gets a 38 on his Hide check if he can only take 10. 48 if he takes 20.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-02-07, 11:33 PM
Oh wait, taking 20's probably what I would do in this situation. Slow and steady, the lawful way. In which case it's 23/23.

Amiria
2008-02-08, 03:37 AM
Naomi Drakestorm

Naomi tries to be stealthy as she walks through the dark passage.

Hide and Move Silently: taking 10 for 18 on both checks

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-02-10, 09:22 PM
OOC: Let's keep this moving.

Artemus walks along the hall looking from side to side and whispers, "I know not which creatures may lay here in wait for us, but I can only assume they are creatures of entropy and disorder... may you guide my spear, Saross."

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-10, 09:44 PM
OOC: I'm just waiting for a message from the DM and then I'd be able to help out a good deal.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-02-12, 11:28 PM
OOC: I don't know where he is, hasn't been online in a few days.

Ellas Aramond
2008-02-14, 02:16 AM
((Sorry it's taken me so long guys. I've had a connection problem in which my router has gone kaput, so while I'm getting a new one, I'm running off a neighbor's wireless connection, which doesn't exactly have the best signal. Hopefully this won't slow it down anymore but it's only fair to warn ya.

I've sent out some PM's with information, so hopefully we can get this rolling again.))

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-14, 08:27 AM
"Ssshhhh..." Mahogany says softly, putting his ear to the wall and lifting his hand. "Hold up folk..."

Regord_Silentflame
2008-02-16, 03:27 PM
Aedras stops, turning to face the old man, listening intently for what he might have to say.

Zimmia
2008-02-16, 07:05 PM
Tiatiae also stops, happy for any additional information before they move forward.

Amiria
2008-02-17, 08:03 AM
Naomi Drakestorm

Naomi stops, ready to listen to the wise words of the old man.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-02-19, 02:52 AM
Artemus stops and stays silent, unsure of what may lie beyond the corner.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-19, 08:45 AM
Mahogany finally stands back up straight and shakes his head.

"It's all lookin' fine as frog hair. Thinking we'll be alright for a time at least if you'll trust me." he remarks, and hobbles for the door.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-02-19, 08:35 PM
He nods when he hears Mahogany's words confirming safety, and steps forward quickly to join the rest of the group. "Safety may be more or less assured for the time, but it is unfortunately, an inconsistency we may need to deal with."
As he speaks the grip on his malevolent-looking spear tightens.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-02-19, 09:14 PM
Aedras sighs, shaking his head 'what, was that some kind of test?' he grumbles inwardly, being sure not to broadcast that thought.

Zimmia
2008-02-19, 09:19 PM
Slightly confused, Tiatiae will follow with the others, taking care to make as little sound as possible.

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-20, 01:28 AM
"The telepathic bond's in place for a reason; I'll thank you to use it," Sharra's thoughts drift back from where she's peering through a crack in the door.
"Traps, here--a dispel and some kind of evocation, both area-based. Hold on while I finish disarming them, then we can proceed. Any of you good with locks? I'd rather not melt my way through each one."

Regord_Silentflame
2008-02-20, 03:50 AM
"I'm no master, but I am quite reliable in my skill, and I'd be glad to lend my service, should I move ahead, or stay with the group?" Aedras replies through the connection, breaking away to the head of the group, but not breaking off until he hears a reply.

Continuing taking 12 on Spot/Listen/Hide/Move Silently, leaving up Lend Talent unless he's told to move ahead, then dropping it for the full 42 on Hide/Move Silently, and 39 on any inevitable open lock check (+2 from MW item included)

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-20, 04:30 AM
"Unless you can hide in thin air, wait until I've checked the room--there's some kind of arrow slits in the wall; could be someone on the other side. One sec."

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-02-20, 06:11 AM
Artemus looks down at Sharra from the back of the cluster and concentrates on the telepathic bond between himself and the rest of the group. <How many arrow-slots are there?>

Amiria
2008-02-20, 07:54 PM
Naomi Drakestorm

<Seems like the room is a killing field. Barred, trapped, with arrow slits. Maybe we could teleport into the area behind those slits ...> thinks Naomi through the bond.

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-21, 09:18 PM
"Aha. Two slits, a Nalfeshnee demon behind each. I've disabled the traps. Locked door, leading same place the arrow slits do. Aedras, if you can get over here and unlock the door without being seen do it--otherwise, I'll melt the lock; everyone else, stay out, but be ready to charge."

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-02-21, 09:51 PM
Artemus' already stony expression becomes even harder at the mention of the Nalfeshnee's. <Creatures of entropy and disorder! They will not be difficult to remove, if I have simply a few moments with them! I am ready and willing to charge on any notice!>

Regord_Silentflame
2008-02-22, 02:53 AM
I posted what I was going to do in my last post, but I'll go again just in case you're waiting on me. I move forward, dropping my lend talent for a 42 on hide and move silently, trying to avoid the arrow slits if I can see them. Hiding under them if possible, or jumping over them as long as they're only on one wall, otherwise just hiding in the shadows. 39 on open lock after I pull out my MW tools.

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-22, 03:10 AM
If Aid Another is possible--say, advice--Sharra tries it and autosucceeds on her attempt, giving +2 (pushing it over 40, thus disabling any lock that's Amazing or less).

"The rest of you--if you have Align Weapon spells or potions, now's a good time. Do it out of the Nalfeshnees' hearing."

Amiria
2008-02-22, 04:08 AM
Naomi Drakestorm

<"Those are these huge, bloated demons, right ? No need for that spell. My weapon is strong enough against fiends. And after the first few seconds of battle it aligns itself.">, thinks Naomi and gets ready to move into a better position for a charge.

Ellas Aramond
2008-02-22, 04:24 PM
After trying for a little while, the door finally unlocks with a small, almost inaudible click.

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-22, 05:05 PM
Oh, yeah--Sharra goes over to the body in the corner and searches that.

Then she opens the door, quietly, just enough to slip through. When she's in the Nalfeshnees' room, she sends back via the bond: "Okay, come along quietly. If you can gather by the door, we're good. If they see you, everyone rush on through."

If the Nalfeshnees notice someone, Sharra will take a surprise round.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-02-22, 07:54 PM
Artemus holds his spear forward, aimed at the door with a hardened expression still on his face. He is fully ready to rush in and destroy the demons.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-02-23, 01:17 AM
<I don't have as much fancy knowledge of fiends as you might, I have a little toy I picked up a few weeks back that I've been itching to use. perhaps I could blast them with a ball of fire just before you attack, if nothing else it would distract them, perhaps burn their arrows>

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-23, 01:33 AM
"They're fire-resistant. Won't do much good."

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-02-23, 01:57 AM
<Merely resistant would be more correct to say. Depending on the strength of your weapon of fire, it may still do them harm.>

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-23, 02:56 AM
Kelborn

"When you're done talking strategy.. May I suggest an overwhelming surprise attack? Simply make the people with cutting weapons invisible, then cast a spell of silence on them. Have them sneak in quietly and let them go to town on the demons."

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-23, 03:12 AM
"We'd need spells of invisibility and silence for that. Unless you've got some up your sleeve...?"

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-02-23, 04:15 AM
<If such methods of stealth are not available, I propose we bypass them. I also propose I lead the attack and that we do it without any more wasting of time. I am ready to strike!>

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-23, 08:13 AM
"I've got nothing, my child. I figured a great and powerful archmage like yourself was the one prepared for things like this."

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-02-24, 12:44 AM
<Then let the time for words end! Stand back now and I shall lead the assault!>
As that last thought drifts through the mental connection of the group, Artemus holds his spear up and holds his armored boot up. <If you wish to stay out of harms way do so immediately!>
He does several things in those few instances, his foot kicks forward quickly, causing the door to swing open quickly. Simultaneously, all of his incarnum flares at once; a cloak of blue fire, bracers of blue steel, boots of blue steel, azure fire sheathing his spear and a glowing illusory avatar of a kolyarut mimicking his actions.
He steps in and holds his hand out, speaking a single word of dictum and law as axiomatic energies surge from him at the wall.
Taking a surprise round to kick the already partially open door completely open (while simultaneously ending the suppression of all my soulmelds) and shifting 3 essentia from his bluesteel bracers to use weapon attunement (spell) to use Order's Wrath. If I can't get both nalfeshnee's within it's area, then just one of them.

Damage: [roll0]
Will save DC 25 for half damage and to avoid being dazed for a round.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-02-24, 12:52 AM
Forgot to put this in in case they have spell resistance(and if memory serves, they do).

CL check: [roll0]

Ellas Aramond
2008-02-24, 06:00 PM
The Nalfeshnees both turn towards Artemus as he bursts through the door, the axiomatic energy rolling over them harmlessly.

Initiative Order:
25 Rachel
19 Lithana
18 Aedras
18 Kelborn
18 Nalfeshnee1
16 Nalfeshnee2
13 Naomi
11 Tiatiea
8 Artemus
3 Mahogany

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-24, 06:12 PM
(Just a note: shouldn't Sharra and Aedras, at least, get to act on a surprise round, since they knew the Nalfeshnees were there but not vice-versa? That's the exact kind of thing surprise rounds are for. I'm going to assume I get the surprise round for now.)

Sharra appears without warning behind the two Nalfeshnees, her familiar peeking out of its magical pocket, and two knives flash out from her cloud. Immediately after, a burst of agonizingly bright radiance erupts between the demons as she claps her hands.
Taking advantage of the demons' startlement, Sharra follows up with another pair of knives, flashing for the demons' vital organs, and a pointed finger from which a wave of force erupts, smashing into the back of a demon's head.

Radiant Assault: [roll0], * 1.5 = 84 as Sharra uses a Sudden Empower imbued in her by the Athenaeum of Boccob. Daze for [roll1] * 1.5 = 7 rounds.
A DC 26 Will save halves the damage and turns the Daze into Dazzle (which does, like, nothing).
[roll2] to beat SR on N1; [roll3] for N2.
Edit: whoops, forgot the full-round. Sharra attacks a non-Dazed demon first; if it goes down, the rest go into the other one. If both of the demons are Dazed (or there's just one non-Dazed one, and it dies from the daggers), Sharra does NOT cast Orb of Force, settling for launching daggers.

Ranged touch attacks:
Surprise round knives: Knife; familiar's knife (1d20+29=36, 1d20+29=30) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1506670/). The 1 obviously misses.
Damage for knife: 1d6+5=9, 12d6=38 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1506672/), for a total of 47 (minus DR).
Normal round:
Cloud of Knives; familiar's Cloud; Orb of Force (1d20+29=40, 1d20+29=34, 1d20+19=24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1506643/). I'm assuming those hit, since they're big bulky demons.
Damage for knife: Dagger; sneak attack (1d6+5=11, 12d6=42) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1506645/), 53 total (minus DR)
Damage for familiar's knife: Dagger; sneak attack (1d6+5=9, 7d6=27) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1506646/), 36 total (minus DR).
Damage for Orb of Force: the Orb itself; sneak attack (10d6=40, 12d6=44) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1506647/), for a total of 84 Force damage, bypassing DR.
Sharra then moves and hides again: 1d20+55=74 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1506650/)

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-02-24, 06:47 PM
Rolling to determine granted maneuvers.
[roll0]
[roll1](hope this one works)
[roll2]

Edit: That's Castigating Strike, Iron Heart Endurance and Law Bearer.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-02-24, 07:44 PM
Aedras hangs back for now, pulling out his longbow and hiding next to the wall near the door, readying to attack the fiends when the shot is clear.

Readying an action to attack when Artemus leaves the door-way and enters combat, attacking whichever is closer, or the left one if they're equally close
Rolling now for when it happens.
[roll0] Damage [roll1] Damage, [roll2] for sneak attack if applicable. Not accounting any penalties due to melee combat or anything, Ellas can add any that apply

Ellas Aramond
2008-02-24, 08:00 PM
The first two dagger attacks hit the demons head on, followed quickly is the assault, the deadly energy causing them to let out roars of pain and anger, and setting one of the pair's eyes rolling.

Another knife stabs into the dazed Nalfeshnee's neck, sending thick, black blood rushing out. As the other whizzes past harmlessly. The magic orb quickly seals the un-dazed demon's fate, caving its face in, causing it to disappear in a blast of smoke.

((Yes I realize that I messed the order of attacks up, I don't feel like going back and fixing it, the results are the same.))

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-25, 06:11 AM
Lithana

She moves toward the last fiend and swings a blade at it. Just as she begins to do so, an shimmering blue copy of her blade pops into existence and swings at the fiend's rear.

Swift: Island of Blades Stance.
Move: Toward fiend, draw lightblade as part of the move.
Standard: Use Shadow Blade Technique.

Attack - [roll0]
Attack - [roll1]

Cold Damage (If I use the lowest roll and both hit) - [roll2]

Damage - [roll3]
Sneak Attack Damage - [roll4]

EDIT: I'll use the lowest attack roll.

Attack: 34
Damage: 40+6[Cold]

Crit Confirmation#1 - [roll5]
Crit Confirmation#2 - [roll6]

Crit Damage#1 - [roll7]
Crit Damage#2 - [roll8]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-02-28, 03:31 AM
OOC: I think it's still your turn, in the shape of Kelborn. Aedras posted his turn early, he's just hiding.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-28, 08:22 AM
(OOC: Oops..)

Kelborn

The kobold doesn't have anything to offer to the battle at hand, since he doesn't want to walk into a tight room with two Nalfeshnee.

Just hiding. [roll0].

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-28, 12:51 PM
(OOC: Oops..)

Kelborn

The kobold doesn't have anything to offer to the battle at hand, since he doesn't want to walk into a tight room with two Nalfeshnee.

Just hiding. [roll0].

(There's only one living Nalfeshnee in the room, and the other one is Dazed. In fact, Sharra informs everyone not yet in the room of this telepathically. You can act in complete safety!)

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-28, 04:30 PM
(Read: He doesn't care about the outcome of this battle to waste spells on it.

The meaty types are entirely capable of finishing off the last Nalfeshnee by themselves.)

Ellas Aramond
2008-02-29, 12:03 AM
Lithana's dazed foe offers no fight at all as she closes in. Taking advantage of the fact that it can barely form a thought, leaps up, and expertly jabs her blade straight into the demon's forehead, causing it to vanish in a second blast of smoke.

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-29, 02:09 AM
"Good." Sharra seems satisfied by the efficient dispatch of the demons. "Now let's find the Cathezar, and fast. That got noisy."

Sharra heads for the door to the next room, taking a brief glance at it and gesturing before opening it.

(As a swift action, Instant Search to search the door for traps, taking 10. Then opening it. What's in the next room?)

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-29, 03:27 AM
Lithana

The gray elfling follows Sharra.

Kelborn

"Time is of the essence of this cathezar had summoned those demons. It will have known they were dispatched."

Ellas Aramond
2008-03-03, 08:59 PM
((Okay, just to be sure, you can be seen by anything that might be in the next room, right Rachel?))

Rachel Lorelei
2008-03-03, 09:24 PM
((Okay, just to be sure, you can be seen by anything that might be in the next room, right Rachel?))

((Anything that can beat my Hide and Move Silently. In dangerous situations, Sharra's hiding unless I say otherwise--with her fly speed, half movement rate isn't a big deal. If they're looking right at the door they'll see it open, I guess, but a Spot check is probably called for.))

Ellas Aramond
2008-03-05, 02:12 AM
The room the door opens to is one made of wood and sandstone, splotched with brown and crimson splatters. The entire room is decorated with hooked chains, hanging from just about every inch of the walls like brutal tapestries.

In the center of the room, stands the Cathezar, smiling a wicked smile at the party as it goes through the motions of spellcasting.

((I should also mention the fact that she's blinking, just like before.))

Initiative:
36 Aedras
31 Sharra
30 Naomi
29 Cathezar
25 Lithana
18 Mahogany
11 Kelborn
9 Tiatiea
8 Artemus

Rachel Lorelei
2008-03-05, 03:29 AM
The unseen Sharra speaks a series of words, and everything seems to skip a beat....

(ime Stop. Shared with familiar. [roll0].
Round 1: Swift action--Assay Spell Resistance, shared with familiar, getting +10 to beat the Cathezar's SR.
Standard action: sacrifice an Avasculate for Greater Arcane Sight.
Round 2: Standard action: examine the Cathezar with Greater Arcane Sight. What spells do I see active on the Cathezar? That determines what I do next.)

Rachel Lorelei
2008-03-05, 10:20 PM
(PM received.)

Round 3: cast Maw of Chaos behind the Cathezar, so that it just barely covers her square. [roll0] to beat SR. Once Time Stop ends the damage starts, doing [roll1] points and forcing a DC 28 Will save vs. being Dazed until the next round. Spells and SLAs require a DC 25+Spell Level concentration check.
Round 4: get within 30' and ready an action to cast Irresistible Dance on the Cathezar as soon as Time Stop ends. Ranged touch: [roll2]. SR penetration: [roll3]. Duration: [roll4]
Familiar likewise readies an action to cast Enervation on the Cathezar as soon as Time Stop ends. Ranged touch: [roll5], SR check [roll6], negative levels: [roll7].

---

As the Time Stop ends, blue-green energy ripples into existence, enveloping the Cathezar, and Sharra levels a hand in her direction even as a ray of black light hurtles towards her from the white rat peeking out of her coat pocket.

Edit: never mind, you didn't mention she was Blinking, before. Ignore the above.

Round 3: Sharra casts Greater Blink, sharing it with her familiar.

Round 4: Sharra moves out of the Cathezar's line of sight, still hiding.

"Still blinking, and Divine Favor and Haste spells. Tiatiae, anyone else who's capable--dispel her, please." she sends along the Telepathic Bond as the Time Stop ends.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-03-05, 11:21 PM
Aedras

Aedras Peers through the doorway from afar, watching for the fiend to make her move before acting

Delaying Initiative till right after the Cathezar

Amiria
2008-03-06, 04:31 AM
Naomi Drakestorm AC 27 (t 17, ff 24); hp 172/172

Naomi enters the room and moves towards the Cathezar (but not closer than 30'). Then she takes a potion from her belt and downs it in one gulp, growing to twice her height immediately.

Dodge against the Cathezar, not included in the statistic above

move action = move
free action = draw potion from potion belt
standard action = drink Enlarge Person potion

Crusader withheld maneuvres:1d5, 1d4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1518350/) = Defensive Rebuke, White Raven Tactics

In case that she gets an AoO on the Cathezar (now 20' reach) on her (Cathezar's) turn, she would use Stand Still (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#standStill) (1d20+36 / 5d6+19).

Ellas Aramond
2008-03-07, 01:26 AM
In the throes of casting, the Cathezar looks at the party with a wicked, toothy grin. "I shall pay you back for earlier! Gurrokth, aid me!"

She calls out, her voice seeming to echo throughout the room. Soon after the area in front of Naomi is blasted full of smoke. As it clears, the firery form of a Balor can be seen, clutching its blade and whip.

"What is it you require, Cathezar?" The demon asks, it's voice full of scorn.

"Kill them, but leave the swordswoman alive!"

The balor says nothing else, but turns to the Master of Nine and grins, his stare seeming as if he's looking into her very soul.

Amiria, make a will save.

Amiria
2008-03-07, 04:35 AM
Naomi Drakestorm

Naomi focuses her mind to create an impenetrable barrier against the balor's evil stare.

Using an immediate action for Diamond Defense to boost the save.

1d20+341 = 52 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1519494/)

1 = 1d20+39 if it is a mind-affecting effect.

Ellas Aramond
2008-03-09, 11:01 PM
The power of the demon's gaze passes over Naomi, not effecting her in the slightest.

Lithana's up, Zero.

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-11, 12:25 AM
Lithana

Lithana closes in with the demon, and slashes at it viciously.

Move: Move five-feet outside the Balor's reach. Move at half-speed(if possible) to Tumble 10ft to the Balor.
Dodge on the Balor.
Swift: Activate Island of Blades.
Attack: Attack Roll = Nat-20.
Normal Weapon Damage: 18
Sneak Attack Damage: 33 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1523855/)
Strength Damage: 2.

Crit Confirmation = 30 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1523857/).

Note: Increases should include flanking(+25 bonus)

(For Later)
Kelborn

The small kobold lashes out at both demons with a powerful necromantic burst of energy.
Move: Put Cathezar and Balor in Line of Effect.
Standard: Spell Resistance Roll(32) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1523860/). Horrid Wilting Damage(74) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1523863/)

Regord_Silentflame
2008-03-11, 02:26 PM
Aedras watches the battle unfold, the fearsome presence of the Balor causing him to hesitate. After Kelborn unleashes his burst on the demons, he sees his chance, and lunges forward, curling into a ball and rolling past the momentarily distracted fiend to catch it from behind, springing back to his feet with his sword drawn, steady on his feet and ready to fight.

Double move action to tumble through the Balor's square, and his threatened squares, getting on the opposite of it than the door. 37 on tumble should auto-succeed, but I'll change the post if the DM says it doesn't.
Aedras cannot attack this round, but does threaten, so he provides flanking to anyone attacking the balor from the front

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-11, 03:05 PM
((OOC: Lithana provides flanking to everyone by virtue of being within five feet of the balor due to her Island of Blades stance. You may wanna change your action to something more useful.))

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-03-12, 08:21 AM
Mahogany has more or less stayed back and out of immediate harm's way as soon as the battle starts, though his rheumy eyes shine as much with excitement as alarm. He takes a deep breath and glances between the two, and his eyes cross strangely.

Ellas Aramond
2008-03-18, 10:20 PM
((Okay, slight problem guys. Somehow my .pdf for our Bastion adventure got corrupted. I have no idea how this happened, and am probably a lot more annoyed then the rest of you are at this. I'm working on getting another copy of the file, but I have no idea how long that could take. So until I can get my hands on one, I'm gonna have to put this on hiatus. I'll contact you all when I get this running again, so don't delete your characters.))