PDA

View Full Version : D&d 3.95?

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-20, 10:34 AM
I'm looking for (assuming someone has already done it or started the work for it) something to run in the interim between 3.5 and 4.0; what I am thinking is using feats that have been listed so far as well as using those as a basis for redoing other feats.

Does anyone have anything like that going or know of something? If not, anyone interested in starting work on it?

StickMan
2007-12-20, 10:44 AM
Renegade Paladin started the 3e Upgrade Project (http://3eupgrade.akashicrecord.org/Main_Page). Not sure how its going but that was its goal.

brian c
2007-12-20, 10:50 AM
Renegade Paladin started the 3e Upgrade Project (http://3eupgrade.akashicrecord.org/Main_Page). Not sure how its going but that was its goal.

It's going nicely, but we need more help! Everyone visit! Even if you don't have any ideas yourself, you can weigh in on the ideas that other people have, vote on the direction of the project and playtest in pbp games.

StickMan
2007-12-20, 11:00 AM
OK here is a question were do you go on the website to talk about things? I can't figure it out. Is there like a forum or is it like Wiki with the talk page like attached cause if so I can't find it. I would like to help and others might as well but I think the format is discouraging.

brian c
2007-12-20, 11:13 AM
OK here is a question were do you go on the website to talk about things? I can't figure it out. Is there like a forum or is it like Wiki with the talk page like attached cause if so I can't find it. I would like to help and others might as well but I think the format is discouraging.

The forum is here (http://3eupgrade.akashicrecord.org/forum/index.php). Most of the discussion is on the forum right now, wiki is only used when ideas are more or less agreed upon and formalized. We really just need more people to register on the forums and look at the ideas and give opinions.

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-20, 11:41 AM
Hrrm, not exactly what I meant. The project, while noble, seems to be about keeping 3e alive after 4e. I am simply looking to augment 3.5 to be closer to 4e, for when when 4e eventually comes out, hopefully making the conversion process less severe/disruptive.

My basic thoughts so far are:

Feats:
Use Toughness, Alertness, Golden Wyvern Adept etc. as already outlined.

Take the other +2 to skill A & B feats and redo them along the lines of Alertness (since its logical)

Condense Skills:
Appraise
Balance + Tumble = Acrobatics
Bluff + Sense Motive = Manipulation
Climb + Jump + Swim = Athletics
Concentration
Craft
Decipher Script
Diplomacy
Disable Device
Disguise
Escape Artist
Forgery
Gather Information + Knowledge (Local) = Streetwise
Handle Animal
Heal
Hide + Move Silently = Stealth
Intimidate
Knowledge
Listen + Spot = Perception
Open Lock + Sleight of Hand = ??
Perform
Profession
Ride
Search
Speak Language
Spellcraft + Knowledge (Arcana) = Arcana
Survival
Use Magic Device
Use Rope

Etc.

Classes:
Fighter - Essentially becomes Gestalt in a non-Gestalt game. Kills the Warblade and eats his stuff. Stays mostly as is, but goes to d12 HD and gets Warblade progression of Manuevers (but not necessarily special abilities)

Paladin - Similar to above, except kills Crusader and eats his stuff.

Warlock - Kills the Hexblade and eats his Hexxing ability.

Wizard - Reduce spells per day (and nerf spell list) and add Dragonfire adept invocation progression.

Ranger - Really, not much to fix, but to keep balance, perhaps give a limited Maneuver progression?

Cleric - Nerfed spell list.

Rogue - Kills the Swordsage and eats his stuff.

Warlord - Bard (no spells) and Marshal merge together.

These are just rough ideas mind you.

I am supposed to start a game after the first of the year, so it will only be a few months patch.

brian c
2007-12-20, 01:47 PM
Well, a lot of what we're doing in the 3e upgrade project is incorporating some of the things for 4e into 3e games, so in that way it's similar to what you're looking for. Basically, we want to use new ideas and fix broken stuff without having to overhaul to the extent that 4e does.

Goober4473
2007-12-20, 04:44 PM
I'm working on a setting based on 3.5, but new classes and such, using Talents like Star Wars Saga Edition, but not terribly unbalanced (I hope). I'm pretty excited about how I'm designing it. It'll be a while before it's done, and I'm looking to publish it if possible. It's not an update of D&D though. I'm trying to move away from the standard ways of doing things. Spellcasting will hopefully be radically differant than most things out there right now, and it'll be a Bronze/Iron Age setting, with significantly less emphasis on mogical equipment.

Not what you're looking for, I don't think, but still neat. I'm hoping to get it done by the time 4.0 is out, and compare quality. My bet is: Mine's better, but less tested/edited, and less classic D&D. We'll see. Maybe the folks at Wizards have gotten better.